Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What to do with a cornered rat. – politicalbetting.com

15678911»

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,567
    edited March 2022
    Worth noting 4th jabs for oldies should be starting in 2-3 weeks time. I know they want 6 months between booster and 4th jab, but wondering if again might be better to get cracking now.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,307
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

ping said:

ping said:

Gas back down to £3.69/therm after spiking to as high as £8.

Interestingly, gas delivery for winter 2026 is trading at 76p/therm

https://www.theice.com/products/910/UK-Natural-Gas-Futures/data?marketId=5253318

The market thinks current prices aren’t permanent/structural. I’m not so sure.
    Can I make my fortune selling everyone a financial product constructed around the gas futures market then?
    They already exist: you can buy natural gas ETFs (although I probably wouldn't).

Personally, I'd be looking at US oil services stocks, particularly the drillers - PTEN for example could really fly.

Edit to add: and owners of LNG vessels. Golar LNG is one.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,322
    edited March 2022

Nicola chosen today to say that she is going ahead with IndyRef2 next year.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-confirms-plan-announce-10018461

Yesterday, while Pres Zelensky was addressing the House of Commons, she formally offered an apology to witches persecuted in the 16th Century.

Words fail.

She didn't really, just waffled about constitutional change and the right of people to decide etc.

Though even if she did the UK government would not recognise it and ignore the result given she has ruled out UDI
    Chechen fighters and Kremlin-funded mercenaries are being deployed because the Russian military is “struggling to assemble” a large enough force to capture Kyiv, defence analysts said on Wednesday.

Reports from the front line suggest Chechen soldiers sent by Ramzan Kadyrov, Chechnya's warlord leader, are now occupying villages to the north-west of Kyiv. Kadyrov, one of Vladimir Putin’s closest allies, said “thousands” more troops in Chechnya were on standby ready to be sent to the front.

The Ukrainian General Staff said that mercenaries paid by the Wagner Group, a shadowy private military company, were also now operating on the ground.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/09/russia-calls-feared-chechen-soldiers-capture-kyiv/
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,615
    MattW said:

Eabhal said:

These new anti-air missiles. Apparently so good we might be at risk of blasting the whole VVS out the sky, with risk of escalation.

Why hadn't we supplied them before now?

These are the Starstreak things?

I think the ceiling is something like 6000-7000m and the pace a rather rapid Mach 4, so what they might do is make the Russian Air Force fly high enough to enforce a change of tactics.

Suprisingly we seem to have quite a lot of these as well. They have been around for quite some time.

I can't tell how easy they are to use.
    They are *supposed* to be very hard to jam and the velocity reduces the time the target has to react.

I don't think it has been used in combat.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,322

Worth noting 4th jabs for oldies should be starting in 2-3 weeks time. I know they want 6 months between booster and 4th jab, but wondering if again might be better to get cracking now.

To be quite frank many of the military who helped with the last jab rollouts are in NATO nations in Eastern Europe.

Keeping our security there is more a priority than bringing forward 4th jabs to make a miniscule difference not even a microscope could spot to Covid death rates
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,283
    No secret that my personal regard for Boris Johnson is minimal.

Am willing to say, however, that the Prime Minister has been doing much better than I expected re: Ukraine. And while the recent poll of Ukrainians may be questioned as coming from war zone, it's clear that he IS indeed appreciated and credited by Ukrainian people at this critical moment in history.

For me, the biggest fly in the ointment, is continued stonewalling re: Ukrainian refugees. Presided over, ironically, by a Uganda refugee!

No doubt Johnson & Co wish to be Defenders of Ukraine AND Gatekeepers versus the Foreign Hordes, including Ukrainians plumbers & etc. Attempting to square this circle, rhetorically in favor of the former but practically to achieve the latter, is what makes it VERY difficult to accept Boris's bonafides.

That plus his Putinist personality and government, which regards the rule of law as beneath his contempt.

However, have always believed that deeds speak more than words, particularly in Johnson's case, where the gap between has generally been wider and deeper than the English Channel.

So IF the Prime Minister's actions match his words re: Ukraine, then more power to him. Reserving the right to point out discrepancies such as on Ukrainian refugees. For if anyone needs their feet held to the fire IMHO, beyond Valdimir Putin & Co, it's Boris Johnson & Co.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,186

Chechen fighters and Kremlin-funded mercenaries are being deployed because the Russian military is “struggling to assemble” a large enough force to capture Kyiv, defence analysts said on Wednesday.

Reports from the front line suggest Chechen soldiers sent by Ramzan Kadyrov, Chechnya's warlord leader, are now occupying villages to the north-west of Kyiv. Kadyrov, one of Vladimir Putin’s closest allies, said “thousands” more troops in Chechnya were on standby ready to be sent to the front.

The Ukrainian General Staff said that mercenaries paid by the Wagner Group, a shadowy private military company, were also now operating on the ground.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/03/09/russia-calls-feared-chechen-soldiers-capture-kyiv/

I wonder what they are going to pay them in? Zimbabwean dollars might be better than Roubles
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,426
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/nicola-sturgeon-confirms-plan-announce-10018461

Yesterday, while Pres Zelensky was addressing the House of Commons, she formally offered an apology to witches persecuted in the 16th Century.

Words fail.

I know: why restrict the apology to the 16th Century??? It's almost like she knows something we don't.
    Well, I guess if you were Scottish leader you wouldn't want the apology to include - for example - the 11th Century witches in Macbeth who were in the habit of encouraging violent change of leadership in Scotland

Seriously though, this is quite worrying. Putin will no doubt blame the atrocities that these bastards unleash on "rogue" elements.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,526

I've never met a Chechen - they seem to be on the wrong side of everything.
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

To be quite frank many of the military who helped with the last jab rollouts are in NATO nations in Eastern Europe.

Keeping our security there is more a priority than bringing forward 4th jabs to make a miniscule difference not even a microscope could spot to Covid death rates
    That's the point, if you bring it forward we can spread it out, as we can start now and avoid a cliff edge. Also, its only over 75 plus extremely vulnerable, so we don't need the army as we aren't trying to repeat the exercise of doing 30-40 million people in a month.

Over 60s, particularly over 75s is where there is a real noticeable difference.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,480
    edited March 2022
    Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Words fail.

I know: why restrict the apology to the 16th Century??? It's almost like she knows something we don't.
    Well, I guess if you were Scottish leader you wouldn't want the apology to include - for example - the 11th Century witches in Macbeth who were in the habit of encouraging violent change of leadership in Scotland
    Macbeth (prop. Shakespeare, W.) is not exactly accurate history ...
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

Words fail.

Am I missing something given the date of the article linked to here?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,787
    Some data about BA2's alleged increased severity. Two threads discussing the same Japanese paper (as far as I can tell):

"Study: Evidence of major differences between Omicron BA.2 and BA.1:

BA.2 has
    1. Higher R 1.4X (growing around the world)
    2. More vaccine evading
    3. Resistant to BA.1 induced immunity.
    4. Higher severity (pathogenicity): More rapid and more extensive lung damage in hamsters

1/"

https://twitter.com/yaneerbaryam/status/1494336422421032964?s=20&t=zcXxYJDZDM-MFGMXhzIr4A

"BA.2 not only is 1.4 times more transmissible, it’s also MORE pathogenic invading more cells in the lower airways (Bronchus, Bronchioles, Alveoli & Lungs 🫁) dependent on TMPRSS2, which is a departure from BA.1. 3/"

https://twitter.com/DrNaderKHijazi1/status/1494749839426469893?s=20&t=zcXxYJDZDM-MFGMXhzIr4A

However in the second thread a South African doctor claims that BA2 shows no sign of greater severity than BA1 - in South Africa
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,011

I was offered mine - ECV not Codger - weeks ago, and phone up to book it last week, for next Saturday.
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Words fail.

Accurate history is not normally something Scottish Nationalists worry about is it?
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,426
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Words fail.

Oh!

Confusion now hath made his masterpiece. :wink:
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,452
    FFS

New Home Office statement: ‘In light of the risk from criminals actively operating in the area around Calais, we have set up a new temporary Visa Application Centre in Lille which will open tomorrow focused on referrals only for people in the area eligible for the scheme’
    https://twitter.com/ChloeKeedyITV/status/1501606875762151430
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

I do not think we should cancel Russian culture. We should put it in context, as this wonderful woman did.

If we don't cancel "All the Things She Said" by Tatu can we put it in the context of "would be shit if not for the fact that its a Russian song about lesbian love which is proper edgy"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGBaXPlri8

See that Putin, you loser!
    Come to think of it, wasn't Tchaikovsky gay?
    The "man" listened to classical music so it's a near certainty.
    I thought he wrote about it in quite candid terms..... And it is something that the current Russian government has tried to edit out of history.
    The 1812 Overture isn't my cup of tea, but it does celebrate the success of a plucky nation defending itself against invasion by a powerful aggressor.
    The French lose. What’s not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Iumaryww0
    Well, more specifically relevant, expansionist, militaristic regime seeking to establish an empire by force loses to nation pluckily defending its homeland*

*best not to look too closely at the details of how it did this, mind.
    This could be my edgiest ever post - half PB think 1812 overture is inappropriate right now, the other half claim it actually represents the Ukrainian struggle against invader.
    Also, the Horst Wessel lied is definitely anti-Russian...
    Re: Scotland, has any polling been published yet re: impact of Russian invasion of Ukraine re: indy2?

Can see how it could cut both ways, with different sections of electorate, and with many conflicted (as per usual?)

Real thing I'm wondering, what are likely impacts on swing voters?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,480

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Words fail.

Accurate history is not normally something Scottish Nationalists worry about is it?
    If a SNP politicial said that 2 plus 2 = 4 you'd complain that the maths were wrong.

BTW it's not "Scottish Nationalist". Any more than you are or ar not a Conservatist or a LDist.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,690
    Sturgeon update. Fresh from apologising to the witches.

"Nuclear weapons are the one thing deterring us from helping Ukraine."

(Therefore we should unilaterally disarm so that only Putin has them).

https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1501542514037526529
    Omnium said:

Isn't there a joke about that? Why did the Chechen cross the road?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,499
    Management meeting tommorow. Going to be a humdinger, can feel it.

"Can't we all rewind to those hallowed days of Covid ?"

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Words fail.

If you're descended from Scottish peasantry it's pretty tough to find out anything about your family history.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,268
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Germany is also looking a little ominous

Yesterday: 193,000 cases, and 583 deaths

Is it possible that Covid is coming round for one final lap, particularly picking on those countries which have done well so far? Like some cruel soldier bayoneting the wounded, and stealing their gold watches, after the battle

So a death rate of just 0.003% to cases, nothing of any real concern there certainly compared to Ukraine
    Just seen this: not sure if anyone has corrected it later, but 583/193,000 is 0.003 or 0.3%.

I'm also fairly certain that you can't just dived the current case rate by the current death rate to find the CFR.

Words fail.

2017?

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

These new anti-air missiles. Apparently so good we might be at risk of blasting the whole VVS out the sky, with risk of escalation.

I think the ceiling is something like 6000-7000m and the pace a rather rapid Mach 4, so what they might do is make the Russian Air Force fly high enough to enforce a change of tactics.

Suprisingly we seem to have quite a lot of these as well. They have been around for quite some time.

They are *supposed* to be very hard to jam and the velocity reduces the time the target has to react.

They don't seem to be the sort of thing you want homing in on your butt at 2800 mph or so.

I also note that there are Starstreak I and Starstreak II.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,853

Omnium said:

To avoid meeting Omnium it would seem.

Omnium said:

Explain
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

rcs1000 said:

Words fail.

If a SNP politicial said that 2 plus 2 = 4 you'd complain that the maths were wrong.

BTW it's not "Scottish Nationalist". Any more than you are or ar not a Conservatist or a LDist.
    Not at all, I am convinced by your goodself that not ALL in favour of Scottish Independence are frothing Anglophobe nutjobs, though there are a few on here that try hard to disabuse me of that opinion. I am sure there are a few SNP politicians that can do basic arithmetic, except perhaps when it comes to being honest about how much independence would cost. Then they generally become as arithmetically challenged as a certain Tory poster who frequents these parts.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,787

Sturgeon update. Fresh from apologising to the witches.

(Therefore we should unilaterally disarm so that only Putin has them).

https://twitter.com/ITVBorderRB/status/1501542514037526529

That has to be up there as one of the most wilfully stupid remarks ever made by a British politician
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,354

For me, the biggest fly in the ointment, is continued stonewalling re: Ukrainian refugees. Presided over, ironically, by a Uganda refugee!

Priti Patel was born in London. And people holding opinions just because of who their parents are is everything that is wrong with this country.

Having said that, I would open the gates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_Group
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeny_Prigozhin
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

They don't seem to be the sort of thing you want homing in on your butt at 2800 mph or so.

It seems like Thales is having a good war. Weapons business in Belfast working out - who would have thought? :-)

The idea of the hyper velocity darts seems (according to various press releases and programs) to have been a successful one - spawned a bunch of concepts, such as anti armour usage....

Omnium said:

That took me a min to get that, lol
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Explain
    Because you've never met one. It's a joke.
    carnforth said:

Priti Patel was born in London. And people holding opinions just because of who their parents are is everything that is wrong with this country.

Sea Shanty does support Joe Biden who famously said 'You ain't black' to a (black) person who didn't support the Democrats.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Explain
    I see, I may of course never forgive you :)
  • King Boz (or Bozh, Bož, Booz, Box and SURELY Bozo), was a king of Antes, an east Slavic people, and one of the earliest known Kings of the Kyivian Rus'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boz_(king)

Led by this Rum Blossom....

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,727

I wonder what they are going to pay them in? Zimbabwean dollars might be better than Roubles
    Doesn't Russia have over $130bn of physical gold in its vaults?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

carnforth said:

Sea Shanty does support Joe Biden who famously said 'You ain't black' to a (black) person who didn't support the Democrats.
    And Johnson played the look at all the immigrants on the front bench card today at pmq
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Explain
    that is what the Chechens are worried about
    kyf_100 said:

Difficult to transfer it over the dark web though.

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Explain
    that is what the Chechens are worried about
    Eggsactly.

For a horrible moment I thought that was a picture of you @Malmesbury . Much relived it is not!
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,307
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,650
    Pulpstar said:

Management meeting tommorow. Going to be a humdinger, can feel it.

"Can't we all rewind to those hallowed days of Covid ?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU9VYcQWSOc
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,952
    Leon said:

Basically, we're all getting reinfected by BA2

And for most it will be a mild sniffle at worst. I suspect for the older vulnerables there is significant waning of nAB's after their booster, so more breakthough infections. Hopefully won't result in a large spike of deaths in the UK (I don't expect it to).
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

MattW said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

It seems like Thales is having a good war. Weapons business in Belfast working out - who would have thought? :-)

The idea of the hyper velocity darts seems (according to various press releases and programs) to have been a successful one - spawned a bunch of concepts, such as anti armour usage....
    After current events surely ethical investment funds should invest in selected defence stocks?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,039
    NEW THREAD
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,727

kyf_100 said:

Difficult to transfer it over the dark web though.
    We know the Russian military pocketed the cash for upgrades and maintenance to feather their own nests, so I wouldn't be surprised if Putin went down to his vaults to count his gold, and found it was all just chocolate coins.

MattW said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

After current events surely ethical investment funds should invest in selected defence stocks?
    Nuclear weapons - the ethical alternative.

Nuclear weapons have killed less people than nearly every other type of weapon ever developed. They are the only weapons expressly designed not to be used.

Invest today!
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,952
    Leon said:

I point people to three sentences in that Michigan University pre-print

"BA.2 is found to be able to alarmingly reinfect patients originally infected by Omicron BA.1"

"BA.2 is about 1.5 and 4.2 times as contagious as BA.1 and Delta, respectively. It is also 30% and 17-fold more capable than BA.1 and Delta, respectively, to escape current vaccines."

"We forecast that like Omicron BA.1, BA.2 will also seriously compromise most existing mAbs, except for sotrovimab developed by GlaxoSmithKline."

I submit - without any *freaking out* - that this could be a problem

The escape vaccines look hooky. Escape for nAB protection perhaps, but with 98% of the UK showing antibodies I'd expect most to be able to respond via B-cell immunity etc.

As ever - its always wise to fully understand what is being reported. Anytime I see 'vaccine escape' my bullshit detector goes off.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,354
    IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

And Johnson played the look at all the immigrants on the front bench card today at pmq
    Immigrants? How many of them were born abroad and how many are just brown?

(Or neither, I suppose. Boris was born abroad but won’t be thought of as an immigrant by most people…)
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

The EU and the US in tandem are going to defeat Putin. This is according to the French who seem confident. I'm not sure where the UK fits in. The only mention I've heard so far is that they won't let battle scarred refugees in.

LOL 😂

The UK fits in by being a key supplier of arms already and for years before now, even before the EU got involved.

The fact that Ukraine hasn't been overrun already is in part to the credit of Boris, Theresa May and David Cameron who all deserve credit (and I'm no fan of one of them normally but will give credit where its due).

The fact the French don't want to mention the UK doesn't change things.
    I wouldn't take Roger too seriously on this one, the French press has - in general - been full of praise for the UK over its Ukraine stance. Indeed, it's amazing how Putin has managed to get the UK and the countries of the EU back on friendly terms again.
    Barty is Roger's mirror image of extreme Brexity sentiment. Roger naively wishes to believe anything positive about the EU and France, Barty naively wishes to believe anything negative about the EU and France. Neither understand subtle nuance.
    You're right. I'm trying to follow this on French radio English radio and PB. Radio 4 is much the best. Their only weakness is when they interview Tory Ministers who start every sentence by saying how much more and better they are doing than anyone else. It's tedious and sounds defensive. French radio is informative and refers to the EU a lot. PB on a quick flick through seems like wall to wall chauvinism. Why do the UK have to be best? Why can't they be part of an effort??
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,555

IshmaelZ said:

Mr. Divvie, wasn't it FDR preferring to listen to Stalin than Churchill which led to forces going NW rather than NE from the top of Italy?

Not my time period, so could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

I think so but I believe the Trident conference which was just Churchill and Roosevelt was where Overlord was decided upon (an indication that the US was in the driving seat maybe, if there was any doubt). Churchill also had a half baked plan about another front being opened in the Balkans. Pretty sure whatever formulation had taken place Poland would have been hung out to dry.
    Fitzroy Maclean to Churchill in 1944 odd: I am concerned about the way internal politics are going in Yugoslavia...

Churchill: Do you intend to make Yugoslavia your home after the war?
    Ironically I think Maclean may have spent some of his life in Yugolsavia after the war, I read on Wiki that Tito gave him permission to buy a house on a Dalmatian island. It's a while since I read Eastern Approaches, did Maclean encounter Waugh and Randolph on his Balkan travels?
    Interesting area. Have you read Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy - set in wartime Rumania and Greece? Very readable with some vivid characters such as Prince Yakimov, the down-at-heel, English public school educated, refugee White Russian. Hope to start on the Levant Trilogy shortly.
    I have, I gobbled up both trilogies after reading one of the Balkans, you're in for a (further) treat. Would be interesting to see Branagh's televisualisation again which I don't remeber being much taken with at the time. Possibly the double luvviness of Ken & Em detracted.
    ping said:

dixiedean said:

Russian historian on WATO sounding deranged.
    Putin has prevented a nuclear war, because Ukraine has the bomb almost ready to launch.
    Do they believe this, I wonder?
    Regardless, the psychology is fascinating.
    As is the belief anyone will buy this.
    The problem with fake news is it becomes less effective.over time. Because people simply shrug and say fake news. Haven't the Russians factored that in?
    Apparently not.

A lot of Putin's moves seem like a parody of all the stupidest shit the Americans have done over the last 30 years.
    Yeah.

It’s fascinating how bloody obvious it is - and that they think rehashing our bullshit will have currency.
    Looking forward to some tasty yellowcake uranium bs.

Words fail.

Lol, those guys are on a hairtrigger of outrage!
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,790

Oh! I thought that was Nigel Foremain!
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    MISTY said:

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Fishing said:

US pollster @cygnal has polled residents of Ukraine on their view of certain countries and leaders:
    EU +42.2
    Nato -16.8
    UK +56
    Biden +25.8
    Johnson +49.6
    Zelensky +79
    Putin -86.7

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1501571883573075972

Scholz +23
    Xi: -19

Macron not asked.

I wonder which would annoy Macron more, that they ignored him or if Boris beat him?
    Fishing said:

US pollster @cygnal has polled residents of Ukraine on their view of certain countries and leaders:
    EU +42.2
    Nato -16.8
    UK +56
    Biden +25.8
    Johnson +49.6
    Zelensky +79
    Putin -86.7

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1501571883573075972

Scholz +23
    Xi: -19

Macron not asked.

I wonder which would annoy Macron more, that they ignored him or if Boris beat him?
    I think Macron can feasibly claim some of the credit for the recent EU stuff, as he is currently chair of the committee, and has done much in the role.

A poll of views of EU countries would be quite interesting, however.
    I think Macron has realised - first among our Continental cousins - that Putin is quite mad.

A doctor I heard online commented that Putin's puffy, glassy appearance strongly reminded him of patients who are on steroids.

A side effect of these can be changes in personality.
    Presumably Macrons feeding that intelligence back into NATO - may explain the nervousness re. USA and Poland on the planes

carnforth said:

I do support Biden, gaffs & all.

Pointing out that POTUS gets tongue-tied is hardly news, nor is it evidence of he's (to coin a phrase) a demented vegetable.

who think this an especially cogent argument, are themselves slightly soft in the head?

As for Patel, I stand corrected, neither she nor her parents were refugees thrown out of Uganda by Idi Amin. I was wrong on that point. Though perhaps the Home Sec has relatives who were refugees?

I was still totally wrong on THAT point. Mea culpa, and thanks to LG for pointing it my unforced error.
    Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

Roger said:

The EU and the US in tandem are going to defeat Putin. This is according to the French who seem confident. I'm not sure where the UK fits in. The only mention I've heard so far is that they won't let battle scarred refugees in.

LOL 😂

The UK fits in by being a key supplier of arms already and for years before now, even before the EU got involved.

The fact that Ukraine hasn't been overrun already is in part to the credit of Boris, Theresa May and David Cameron who all deserve credit (and I'm no fan of one of them normally but will give credit where its due).

The fact the French don't want to mention the UK doesn't change things.
    I wouldn't take Roger too seriously on this one, the French press has - in general - been full of praise for the UK over its Ukraine stance. Indeed, it's amazing how Putin has managed to get the UK and the countries of the EU back on friendly terms again.
    Barty is Roger's mirror image of extreme Brexity sentiment. Roger naively wishes to believe anything positive about the EU and France, Barty naively wishes to believe anything negative about the EU and France. Neither understand subtle nuance.
    You're right. I'm trying to follow this on French radio English radio and PB. Radio 4 is much the best. Their only weakness is when they interview Tory Ministers who start every sentence by saying how much more and better they are doing than anyone else. It's tedious and sounds defensive. French radio is informative and refers to the EU a lot. PB on a quick flick through seems like wall to wall chauvinism. Why do the UK have to be best? Why can't they be part of an effort??
    I'd argue that BBC WS is far better than Radio 4, in that they don't chase sensationalism and keep in touch with a wider variety of sources and people.
This discussion has been closed.