Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As ever cartoonist Steve Bell hits the nail on the head – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,778
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

The worst cartoonist in Europe

I bow to your wider experience. But he is crap, no doubt about that.
    Political cartooning is always a fine balance of amusement and anger, and Steve Bell stopped bothering to walk that tightrope a long time ago. Probably when he stopped doing the penguins.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,611
    Farooq said:

We've now had Russia saying 'We'll stop if we get x, y, and z' - big demands but stopping short of demanding the whole country. We now have Ukraine saying 'No, but let's talk'. This is hopeful. We should pray and really believe that there can be a peaceful outcome to this situation.

I don't mean to be glib, but there's a very easy peaceful solution. Russia goes home.
    They won't be chased over the border. The killing stops if the aggressor stops.
    Maybe in the short run. But Ukraine is never going to forgive Russia for this. Never.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,401
    Isn’t Mélenchon anti-NATO and anti-EU? Seems odd for him to surge in France with those policies at the minute?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Stokes, Foakes, Woakes all in 50+ partnerships.

We need more of these blokes.

Is it worth just trawling the counties for any more who rhyme?
    Pity John Noakes isn't still with us.
    Haha - I can just imagine Blue Peter: "After last week's trampolining world-record attempt, it's more bouncers for John this week as he teams up with Crawley to open the batting for England."
    GET DOWN SHEP!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

Been watching Martin Lewis - there is going to be lots of pressure ramping up on Rishi over the cost of living crisis very soon.

High petrol prices are absolutely killer for any government.
    Remarkable how little public reaction so far.
    Are we using cars less, said the man knowing he would still have to spend another £160 on fuel this week?
    Electric vehicles never looked more attractive.

The government should really start ensuring a larger charging point infrastructure.
    Have you seen the new electric BMW SUV? No-one could ever say that looked attractive.
    It looks attractive.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

I don't wish to alarm anybody but Steve Bell doing a funny cartoon is a sign of the apocalypse as foretold in the book of revelation.

Let's worry about that when it happens.

cf the brutally accurate Private Eye parody of a Scarfe cartoon. Caption: "This is Mrs Thatcher. I hate her."
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,196
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Haha - I can just imagine Blue Peter: "After last week's trampolining world-record attempt, it's more bouncers for John this week as he teams up with Crawley to open the batting for England."
    Remember him turning out for Castleford in some Rugby League friendly or summat.
    Gutsy bloke.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HtOStRhJYo&list=PLI7P52LOUKjbj3MZ1V1eVLyXwLPodPLLb&index=3
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

(Sample Size: 1658 GB adults Fieldwork: 3rd - 4th March 2022)

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    Orkney and Shetland and Caithness are hardly Surrey.
    Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
    Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

Compared to most of Scotland all of Edinburgh is posh and Edinburgh West is a middle class part of the city.

NE Fife contains posh St Andrews of course too
    A socio economic expert on Scotland as well, is there no start to your talents?!
    It helps to be posh to see posh, so clearly that rules out you!
    I sure ain't posh but then I don't share your sort's obsession with class. I'd estimate you as C1>B, ie not a hope in hell of being considered posh. Unselfconscious use of the word posh is a bit of a tell fyi.
    “Posh” was Gordon Brown code for “English”. SLab’s dogwhistle.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,880
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

We've now had Russia saying 'We'll stop if we get x, y, and z' - big demands but stopping short of demanding the whole country. We now have Ukraine saying 'No, but let's talk'. This is hopeful. We should pray and really believe that there can be a peaceful outcome to this situation.

I don't mean to be glib, but there's a very easy peaceful solution. Russia goes home.
    Maybe in the short run. But Ukraine is never going to forgive Russia for this. Never.
    Maybe not, but you can have frosty but peaceful relations.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    biggles said:

Isn’t Mélenchon anti-NATO and anti-EU? Seems odd for him to surge in France with those policies at the minute?

Might be a few Le Pen to Melenchon switchers.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,351
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Remember him turning out for Castleford in some Rugby League friendly or summat.
    Gutsy bloke.
    And climbing up Nelson's Column without safety apparatus - makes me go cold looking at it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZ-h70IK9s
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,898
    rcs1000 said:

France, Elabe poll:

Macron (LREM-RE): 33.5% (+8.5)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 15% (-2)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 13% (+0.5)
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 11% (-3)
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 10.5% (-1.5)

+/- vs. 27-28 February 2022

Fieldwork: 7-8 March 2022
    Sample size: 1,484

It will be so funny if Melenchon scrapes into the runoff.

@d_d is proving to be a poor predictor of French polls.
    You're waking him up.

Do you really want to trip trap, trip trap over that bridge?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,013

Update - Moscow Exchange to remain closed for share trading tomorrow
    ForEx and bond markets will re-open (as per announcement earlier...)

What proportion of Russians hold shares? I assume not very many.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Yes, but Putin will not negotiate and avcept a neutral or demilitarised Crimea. That is abject defeat for him.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,715
    Farooq said:

Peaceful perhaps, but not easy. Thankfully, Zelensky seems to be motivated by the best interests of his country rather than a visceral hatred of the enemy. Hopefully Putin will prove to have a smidgen of that mentality too, we'll see.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,239
    biggles said:

Pro-NATO folk consolidating behind Macron, the more obviously Putiny characters getting some bleeding to Melenchon, who I'm guessing is of that ilk but not as obviously?
  • Options
    philiph said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Yes, but Putin will not negotiate and avcept a neutral or demilitarised Crimea. That is abject defeat for him.
    I don't think there's peace with Putin at the helm. He needs either to retire or to "retire".
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Well nations can be pretty forgiving pretty quickly, but it would require the end of the Putin regime and replacement by a contrite new government.

So never.
  • Options
    My son and daughter in law are expecting their third child in September and this has prompted them to seek a buyer for their home as they need to upgrade to 4 bedrooms

We have been chatting and agreed that in any home they purchase they will take into account the insulation levels and upgrade including installing solar panels

They will seek to negotiate the price and this raises the question about home sales and just how much buyers will be seeking to make them as energy efficient as possible and of course this will not be at taxpayers expense

Just one of the many things that will change in the coming months and years
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

Been watching Martin Lewis - there is going to be lots of pressure ramping up on Rishi over the cost of living crisis very soon.

Are we using cars less, said the man knowing he would still have to spend another £160 on fuel this week?

The government should really start ensuring a larger charging point infrastructure.
    Have you seen the new electric BMW SUV? No-one could ever say that looked attractive.
    It looks attractive.
    Gotta love a contrary bastard.
  • Options

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    No, just telling a lie to prove him wrong.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,762
    Pro_Rata said:

rcs1000 said:

France, Elabe poll:

@d_d is proving to be a poor predictor of French polls.
    You're waking him up.

Do you really want to trip trap, trip trap over that bridge?
    RCS can shut down double dose of dipshit anytime he takes a notion. As PB monitor-meister.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Well nations can be pretty forgiving pretty quickly, but it would require the end of the Putin regime and replacement by a contrite new government.

So never.
    Contrite with a large cheque book just maybe. So never.
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    But I am contrary now I think about it.
  • Options
    I said earlier that England has around the same number of empty homes as Ireland (200-250k). I pointed out that Ireland has one in eight homes empty; I didn't mention that England has about twelve times as many homes (24m to 2m), so has an empty homes ratio of about one in a hundred.

I did say that France has over 2.5m empty homes. I didn't mention Germany (1.8m), Italy (over 2m) or Spain (3.4m).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Pro-NATO folk consolidating behind Macron, the more obviously Putiny characters getting some bleeding to Melenchon, who I'm guessing is of that ilk but not as obviously?
    Makes sense I suppose. Macron being attacked from the left might make for a more tense election.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

philiph said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

I don't think there's peace with Putin at the helm. He needs either to retire or to "retire".
    I agree. I have been saying that from round about day one.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,407
    Russia’s suspending convertibility of the rouble until September.
  • Options
    philiph said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    No you’re not.
  • Options

I don't wish to alarm anybody but Steve Bell doing a funny cartoon is a sign of the apocalypse as foretold in the book of revelation.

Also, apocalypse is just Greek for "revelation." You might as well write a sign of the revelation as foretold in the book of apocalypse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

So never.
    Is the bastard Putin imortal?
  • Options
    biggles said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    No you’re not.
    you're both wrong
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,109
    These Ukranians look pleased with their panzerfausts. Old Skool.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501303979153711108?t=my_acjjaJNB2pd8Pd7j3cw&s=19
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

France and Germany seem to get on OK these days. And if I were Ukrainian I'd find it a whole heap easier to ascribe most of the blame to Putin than to AH.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    edited March 2022

My son and daughter in law are expecting their third child in September and this has prompted them to seek a buyer for their home as they need to upgrade to 4 bedrooms

We have been chatting and agreed that in any home they purchase they will take into account the insulation levels and upgrade including installing solar panels

They will seek to negotiate the price and this raises the question about home sales and just how much buyers will be seeking to make them as energy efficient as possible and of course this will not be at taxpayers expense

All the best to them, they might be a bit limited for choice. Not sure what things are like where they are but this is where I live:

I have never seen so few properties on the market in and around my estate.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,347
    edited March 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
    Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

Compared to most of Scotland all of Edinburgh is posh and Edinburgh West is a middle class part of the city.

A socio economic expert on Scotland as well, is there no start to your talents?!
    I sure ain't posh but then I don't share your sort's obsession with class. I'd estimate you as C1>B, ie not a hope in hell of being considered posh. Unselfconscious use of the word posh is a bit of a tell fyi.
    Except much of Scotland is posher than most of England outside London and the South East, certainly around Edinburgh and Aberdeenshire and St Andrews for example.

After all the only royal palaces and residences outside London and the South and Norfolk are in Scotland, Holyroodhouse, Birkhall and Balmoral
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,510
    Russia has suspended the sale of foreign currencies until September 9, the central bank said Wednesday.
    Between March 9 and September 9 "the banks will not be able to sell foreign currencies to citizens." (AFP)
    All ruble convertibility is over. Putin has destroyed the ruble.

https://twitter.com/anders_aslund/status/1501315627386118145
  • Options
    biggles said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    No you’re not.
    I agree with you
  • Options
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    No you’re not.
    you're both wrong
    make that 3 of you.
  • Options
    Ukraine war: Russian president Vladimir Putin is barred from UK pub http://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-russian-president-vladimir-putin-is-barred-from-uk-pub-12560787
  • Options
    Former Georgian Defence Minister wasting no time:

#Ukraine: Georgian volunteers, led by the former Georgian Defence Minister, captured a Russian BMP-2 IFV.

Note Barrett Model 99 AMR. https://t.co/k7SVVnpHI7
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Russia has suspended the sale of foreign currencies until September 9, the central bank said Wednesday.
    Between March 9 and September 9 "the banks will not be able to sell foreign currencies to citizens." (AFP)

Is it rubble?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1501303979153711108?t=my_acjjaJNB2pd8Pd7j3cw&s=19

Christ, I hope someone briefs them on which silhouettes NOT to run towards if you only have one of them. There’s some to leave to your mates with NLAW and Javelin.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

philiph said:

It looks attractive.
    No you’re not.
    you're both wrong
    But not as wrong as you
  • Options
    The eldest son of a Tory MP and former government minister is among a group of British ex-servicemen who have joined the war in Ukraine.

Ben Grant, 30, who spent more than five years as a commando in the Royal Marines, is part of group of seven ex-servicemen who arrived in Ukraine over the weekend to fight invading Russian forces.

His mother is Helen Grant, the Conservative MP for Maidstone and Boris Johnson’s special envoy on girls’ education. She is also a former minister for sport and tourism.

The Guardian spoke to Grant in the ticket hall of Lviv station on Saturday as he waited to board a train for Kyiv.

He said: “I haven’t been sent, nothing to do with the government, nothing to do with my mother. Just wanna make that clear, completely off my own back, I decided to do this. I didn’t even tell my mum, but it is what it is.”

Grant, said he chose to head for Ukraine after seeing footage of Russian bombing of a house where a child could be heard screaming. He said: “I thought, I am a father of three, and if that was my kids I know what I would do, I would go and fight. Then I thought I would want another load of people who might be skilled enough to help me come and help me, come and help me, save my family.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/08/tory-mps-son-among-uk-ex-servicemen-heading-to-ukrainian-front-line
  • Options

I said earlier that England has around the same number of empty homes as Ireland (200-250k). I pointed out that Ireland has one in eight homes empty; I didn't mention that England has about twelve times as many homes (24m to 2m), so has an empty homes ratio of about one in a hundred.

I did say that France has over 2.5m empty homes. I didn't mention Germany (1.8m), Italy (over 2m) or Spain (3.4m).

England's housing market is just messed up. At that sort of empty homes ratio, buyers can't exert much choice over which house they buy- it's just grabbing whatever is in roughly the right location, whatever the cost and quality.

With the consequences we see around us. Goodness knows how this gets fixed.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,762

Plot twist!! Washington indicates it wasn't pre-consulted on Poland's decision to transfer jets...

Victoria Nuland, State Department Undersecretary, just told Senate cmtte hearing: "To my knowledge, it wasn't pre-consulted with us that they planned to give these planes to us."

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1501302889859325954

All diplomatic statement must be carefully parsed and each word weighed.

In this case, could be somewhat less dramatic (pun intended). For example, consultations (that she was aware of) had suggested other alternatives?

Just sayin'
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,832
    Foxy said:

I assume that Panzerfaust translates as tank fucker.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Is it rubble?
    The ruble is certainly in truble.

(I think I may have nicked that gag from an episode of Metal Mickey.)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,995
    16 year old schoolboys in Kyiv saying "Yes it is scary but I am ready to fight, we have to be ready", as they are offered their FIRST arms training

God speed them
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

All the best to them, they might be a bit limited for choice. Not sure what things are like where they are but this is where I live:

I have never seen so few properties on the market in and around my estate.
    Actually my son has his own house and lived with his now wife in hers, and so they are in the fortunate position of being able to upgrade by selling both

There is a shortage but there are some available but you have to act quickly
  • Options

France, Elabe poll:

Still looks like a Macron v Le Pen runoff but Melenchon making a late rally with the left getting behind him.

However the polls show Macron would trounce Melenchon in any runoff, even more than he would beat Zemmour
  • Options
    Exclusive

Boris Johnson has opened the door to a return to fracking in the UK, The Telegraph understands.

Wants his ministers to look again at whether it can play a part in improving UK energy independence. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/08/boris-johnson-looks-fracking-amid-energy-supply-crisis/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

Except much of Scotland is posher than most of England outside London and the South East, certainly around Edinburgh and Aberdeenshire and St Andrews for example.

After all the only royal palaces and residences outside London and the South and Norfolk are in Scotland, Holyroodhouse, Birkhall and Balmoral
    Wester Hailes and West Granton particularly favoured by the smart set, for instance. The Kensington and Notting Hill of Edinburgh.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Ukraine war: Russian president Vladimir Putin is barred from UK pub http://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-russian-president-vladimir-putin-is-barred-from-uk-pub-12560787

Might need a couple of Ukranian bouncers there, Putin doesn't take the hint when he's not wanted.
  • Options
    philiph said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

So never.
    The key word was contrite, and in action more than words. I don't see that even if that insecure little troll pops his clogs.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Still looks like a Macron v Le Pen runoff but Melenchon making a late rally with the left getting behind him.

However the polls show Macron would trounce Melenchon in any runoff, even more than he would beat Zemmour
    Macron is home and dry
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Makes sense I suppose. Macron being attacked from the left might make for a more tense election.
    He hasn't even surged more steadily crept up while the right wing vote is split and he might only need to win over Rousell's vote.

I'm not an expert on Melenchon's positions although I do think it would be a better policy debate with him in the runoff even if he gets crushed by Macron (up to 69-31% in some runoff polls). He was quite forthright on criticising NATO a couple of days ago which seemed brave to say the least. I would have thought he could do as well as 40% by being populist on domestic issues but if the debate is around NATO/security I suppose that plays far more to Macron's advantage
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760

Foxy said:

When David Cameron attempted it, it drew a few laughs. 😏
  • Options

HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Macron is home and dry
    Ironically Le Pen now runs him closest in runoff polls
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,013
    edited March 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Boris Johnson has opened the door to a return to fracking in the UK, The Telegraph understands.

Wants his ministers to look again at whether it can play a part in improving UK energy independence. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/03/08/boris-johnson-looks-fracking-amid-energy-supply-crisis/

That truly is earth-shattering news.

I thought fracking in the UK had been ruled out on geological grounds?

What time does the PB Geology team clock-on, it'd be good to have an informed view on this.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Tank-fister I think is the literal translation, and Germans are a rather literal bunch.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,668

Lots of those latter are British owned?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

What time does the PB Geology team clock-on, it'd be good to have an informed view on this.
    Divorce soon?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,196

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Absolutely no chance of fracking unless the local people actually personally gain financially.

Otherwise they'll oppose it followed by their councillors and MPs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

philiph said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

So never.
    The key word was contrite, and in action more than words. I don't see that even if that insecure little troll pops his clogs.
    It's very hard to know. Kremninology is impossible these days because it is the study of structures and relationships, and there aren't any: everything happens inside Putin's head. It's noticeable that we see no breathless and probably wildly inaccurate reports about the hawkish tendency headed by Obolensky vs the loose alliance of doves led by Bezhukov. There are no such people, unless they emerge from the woodwork after Putin's entirely accidental defenestration in the coming days
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

In fairness he did say he wanted to recreate the Soviet Union.
  • Options

France, Elabe poll:

Currently 13 on Smarkets to make the final two. I have had a nibble.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Autarky beckons for Russia. Generally doesn't go well. Cf Albania, North Korea
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Macron is home and dry
    Not that surprising, though.

In different ways, Zemmour and Mélenchon are just beyond the pale. I'm not taking questions on that, they just are.

Pécresse has turned out to be a disappointing candidate, a bit like TMay in 2017. She is also a bit stuffed in terms of ideology- she has to distance herself from Macron without going too far into Loonyville, and that leaves her with a fairly small space.

If you want a convincing rival for Macron, you probably end up with someone like le Pen; shades of the great realignment along a national populist vs. global liberal axis. But once that alignment properly shakes out, national populism probably loses handily.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,652

Plot twist!! Washington indicates it wasn't pre-consulted on Poland's decision to transfer jets...

Victoria Nuland, State Department Undersecretary, just told Senate cmtte hearing: "To my knowledge, it wasn't pre-consulted with us that they planned to give these planes to us."

Sky News is suggesting that the US is going cool on the whole idea of providing or in this case just enabling air reinforcements to Ukraine. Logistical difficulties of providing Poland with replacements promised to Taiwan. Worried that it would be seen as escalation. A no fly zone by the back door. etc etc

FFS
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Reality is bitting as we need to transition to net zero, but ensure we are self reliant during the transition including new oil and gas production

For those who object they need to explain and justify impoverishing our citizens when a compromise is available and when others will continue and send their product to us anyway

This is another consequence of this war
  • Options
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

And a self-inflicted holodomor; their wheat comes from Ukraine.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,459
    edited March 2022
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tank-fister I think is the literal translation, and Germans are a rather literal bunch.
    You didn't want your Churchill getting a fisting.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Macron is home and dry

In different ways, Zemmour and Mélenchon are just beyond the pale. I'm not taking questions on that, they just are.

Pécresse has turned out to be a disappointing candidate, a bit like TMay in 2017. She is also a bit stuffed in terms of ideology- she has to distance herself from Macron without going too far into Loonyville, and that leaves her with a fairly small space.

If you want a convincing rival for Macron, you probably end up with someone like le Pen; shades of the great realignment along a national populist vs. global liberal axis. But once that alignment properly shakes out, national populism probably loses handily.
    Latest Elabe runoff polls

⏫Macron (LREM): 61 % (+3,5)
    ⏬Le Pen (RN): 39 % (-3,5)

🆕Macron (LREM): 68,5 %
    🆕Mélenchon (FI): 31,5 %

⏫Macron (LREM): 69,5 % (+4)
    ⏬Zemmour (R!): 30,5 % (-4)

Zemmour the weakest opposing candidate here, although not much in it.
  • Options

biggles said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

He hasn't even surged more steadily crept up while the right wing vote is split and he might only need to win over Rousell's vote.

I'm not an expert on Melenchon's positions although I do think it would be a better policy debate with him in the runoff even if he gets crushed by Macron (up to 69-31% in some runoff polls). He was quite forthright on criticising NATO a couple of days ago which seemed brave to say the least. I would have thought he could do as well as 40% by being populist on domestic issues but if the debate is around NATO/security I suppose that plays far more to Macron's advantage
    After all the nutty Right Populists haven't done much in the final two, give the nutty Left Populist a crack at it!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Polls are giving Macron war bounce, the actual vote may not, polling still a long way off, so what are you calling late rally? The election hasn’t really got going yet. This can get very tight for Macron regardless his opponent, because it won’t be a left or right opponent, it will be a strong nationalist, eurosceptic opponent in either Le Pen or Melenchon, armed with what they didn’t have last time, they know his true agenda, that means he won’t get a lot of abstensions in his favour this time, his agenda brought from left to right together with yellow shirts on. I wouldn’t rule out a Macron loss at this stage once it gets down to real issues and what voters on the ground want.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Update - Moscow Exchange to remain closed for share trading tomorrow
    ForEx and bond markets will re-open (as per announcement earlier...)

What proportion of Russians hold shares? I assume not very many.
    No, but it's Russian companies that are listed.

Anyway, Isee I got played.

Foreign exchange will open tomorrow. For currencies other than, er, the ruble.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Reality is bitting as we need to transition to net zero, but ensure we are self reliant during the transition including new oil and gas production

For those who object they need to explain and justify impoverishing our citizens when a compromise is available and when others will continue and send their product to us anyway

And, moreover, when we now learn that the absurd UK anti-fracking campaign was funded by Russia
    It'll be interesting to see which organisations/campaigns now start struggling for funds.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Ummm, I think Russia is a net exporter of wheat
  • Options

Sky News is suggesting that the US is going cool on the whole idea of providing or in this case just enabling air reinforcements to Ukraine. Logistical difficulties of providing Poland with replacements promised to Taiwan. Worried that it would be seen as escalation. A no fly zone by the back door. etc etc

FFS
    I disagree. This has to be done very delicately. We do edge close to outright confrontation, which means outright war
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

And, moreover, when we now learn that the absurd UK anti-fracking campaign was funded by Russia
    It'll be interesting to see which organisations/campaigns now start struggling for funds.
    Please XR. Please XR.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    Putin just banned the export of all raw materials from Russia apparently...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He has genuinely gone insane. Does he want the Chinese against him too?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,388

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Macron is home and dry

What about Macron versus the centre-right female candidate? Can't remember her name.
  • Options
    A Russian man with a blank sheet of paper and gagging himself was also detained at Kirov Square, Irkutsk today. 🤣

A nice demonstration of the current state of paranoia of Russian police… https://t.co/XgdN75lgJE
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,388
    Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Good news. Not fracking is ridiculous IMO. Similar to the opposition to GM crops about 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Ah. Another thing I was wrong about, then
  • Options

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Please XR. Please XR.
    Why would the Russians fund XR? Surely the last thing they want is an accelerated move away from dependence on fossil fuels!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are oil and gas raw materials?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,828
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Exclusive

Probably it was but the usual form is to deny that voters can be influenced by online activity.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Wheat, yes. Food it is about neutral. Which implies quite the change to the Russian diet.

At least, I assume so. A lack of exports will do nothing to help the ruble or foster foreign exchange reserves for imports.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You didn't want your Churchill getting a fisting.
    Dunno, it’s namesake was a public school boy.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,088
    DavidL said:

Pulpstar said:

He has genuinely gone insane. Does he want the Chinese against him too?
    China imports a fair bit of grain from Ukraine. Suspect they will be worried about that too.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

France, Elabe poll:

Macron is home and dry

What about Macron versus the centre-right female candidate? Can't remember her name.
    I think some of the pollsters aren't even bothering doing hypothetical runoffs for Pecresse because she seems so unlikely to get into the runoff. That said it still seems strange to do polls for Zemmour (and Melenchon) and not her.
This discussion has been closed.