Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As ever cartoonist Steve Bell hits the nail on the head – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,742
edited March 2022 in General
As ever cartoonist Steve Bell hits the nail on the head – politicalbetting.com

Steve Bell on #PritiPatel and Ukrainian #refugees #UkrainianRefugees #UkraineRussiaWar #UKHomeOffice #HostileEnvironment – political cartoon gallery in London https://t.co/dePcTdnXF6 pic.twitter.com/gg1o6C7TzR

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,494
    Wasn't Fanta born out of the Nazis not able to have Coke Cola anymore?
  • Options
    Been watching Martin Lewis - there is going to be lots of pressure ramping up on Rishi over the cost of living crisis very soon.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714
    Patel isn't working.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    ydoethur said:

Patel isn't working.

We would all benefit from that
  • Options

Been watching Martin Lewis - there is going to be lots of pressure ramping up on Rishi over the cost of living crisis very soon.

High petrol prices are absolutely killer for any government.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,239

biggles said:

Scott_xP said:

*The Coca-Cola Co Suspends Its Business in Russia
    $KO

Shares in Rola Cola to rocket.
    The way things are going it will be state made Z Cola.
    Nah, Putin Juice.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Good job electric and gas isn't going to be high too...oh.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,401

And a Spring Statement in a few weeks to focus the pressure around.
  • Options

Remarkable how little public reaction so far.
    Are we using cars less, said the man knowing he would still have to spend another £160 on fuel this week?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,571

Apparently yes. So add that to the VW beetle as things to cancel...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,754

Bill Clinton - first term as Arkansas governor learnt this the hard way.
  • Options

As ever and Steve Bell nailing it, deary me. Rather, he has done his one half decent one for the year.

Nice of him not to draw her as a cow.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    I am old enough to remember when David Cameron and his Government (including his Home Secretary - wonder what happened to her?) were severely castigated for their lacklustre approach to Syrian refugees in 2015. Of course, the news cycle moved on - pretty sharpish - and the British people remembered that, actually, they don't like mass uncontrolled immigration from war-torn corners of the globe.

The same thing will happen with Ukraine.
  • Options
    Faisal Islam
    @faisalislam
    Looks like quite the olive branch/ off ramp to Putin here from President Zelenskyy:

“The people who elected me are not ready to surrender, we are not ready for ultimatums. But we can discuss with Russia the future of Crimea and Donbas”.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,107
    This bleeding Virgin icon at the military church in Russia is as ill an omen as can be conceived of.
    I'm not sure it is good propaganda for the Russians to be circulating.
    Unless it's true.
    In which case they REALLY ought not to be circulating it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714
    philiph said:

Are we using cars less, said the man knowing he would still have to spend another £160 on fuel this week?
    Roads seem a bit quieter this week to me, although that may be a coincidence.

The A5 was eerily quiet this afternoon bu I think there was an accident just before I joined it so it's hard to compare,
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,880
    Endillion said:

I am old enough to remember when David Cameron and his Government (including his Home Secretary - wonder what happened to her?) were severely castigated for their lacklustre approach to Syrian refugees in 2015. Of course, the news cycle moved on - pretty sharpish - and the British people remembered that, actually, they don't like mass uncontrolled immigration from war-torn corners of the globe.

But these guys are white.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    Farooq said:

Endillion said:

The government can't win. Don't let people in and they're mean, let them in and they're racist.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Apparently yes. So add that to the VW beetle as things to cancel...
    I seemed to remember it was originally made out of left overs.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Farooq said:

Endillion said:

No whiter than the Poles and other assorted Slavs, and quite a bit less "white" than the Irish we discriminated against for decades before immigration was even a political hot button issue.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Electric vehicles never looked more attractive.

The government should really start ensuring a larger charging point infrastructure.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

philiph said:

The A5 was eerily quiet this afternoon bu I think there was an accident just before I joined it so it's hard to compare,
    I find Thursday mornings the busiest of the week. Do a day in the office and a wfh / long weekend friday?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Endillion said:

The government can't win. Don't let people in and they're mean, let them in and they're racist.
    I wasn't really talking about the government. More the potential for different attitudes amongst Brits.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,000
    tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Endillion said:

The racism is a red herring here. The government don't win because they claim to be generous but then make it virtually impossible.

Either be generous and then you can boast about it, or be tough and then justify why, but don't lie.
  • Options
    Plot twist!! Washington indicates it wasn't pre-consulted on Poland's decision to transfer jets...

Victoria Nuland, State Department Undersecretary, just told Senate cmtte hearing: "To my knowledge, it wasn't pre-consulted with us that they planned to give these planes to us."

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1501302889859325954
  • Options

philiph said:

The government should really start ensuring a larger charging point infrastructure.
    I must buy one. Been saying that for a couple of years, but they are good enough now others have caught or eclipsed Tesla
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,407
    dixiedean said:

This bleeding Virgin icon at the military church in Russia is as ill an omen as can be conceived of.
    Unless it's true.

One of their tabloids had a story a couple of days ago where they got an Orthodox priest to say that war had come to Ukraine because of its sins.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Plot twist!! Washington indicates it wasn't pre-consulted on Poland's decision to transfer jets...

Victoria Nuland, State Department Undersecretary, just told Senate cmtte hearing: "To my knowledge, it wasn't pre-consulted with us that they planned to give these planes to us."

That stretches my credulity. Perhaps not everyone was in the loop, but Poland would just transfer those jets without checking with people in the US? I don't buy it.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Unless it's true.

One of their tabloids had a story a couple of days ago where they got an Orthodox priest to say that war had come to Ukraine because of its sins.
    How appropriately medieval.
  • Options
    Some goal at Anfield.
    Well now.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

dixiedean said:

Unless it's true.

Oh good, instead of going all the way back to Kyiv Rus, we're now going all the way back to Gildas.
    The worse things get for Vlad, the further back in time we delve. The Curious Case of Benjamin Putin.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056

Can't imagine fuel prices in Bill's terms in Arkansas were that high. Was it the horror of going past a dollar a gallon or something ?
  • Options

I dislike pre-consulted. Why is the pre required? Americanism grrr
  • Options
    Okay, I'm glad I had to give up my tickets to Anfield tonight.
  • Options

As belieavble claim as Boris having no idea about any parties.
  • Options
    That's a seriously harsh foul (never mind yellow card) against Sanchez.
  • Options
    Vadym Pristaiko, our UA Ambassador, on QT this week.

Might be worth watching for once..
  • Options
    philiph said:

Winningest really grinds me gears.
  • Options

And then the a/c just went missing… Who knows where to…
  • Options
    philiph said:

ydoethur said:

philiph said:

I find Thursday mornings the busiest of the week. Do a day in the office and a wfh / long weekend friday?
    If I only went in 1,2,3, or 4 days a week, Thursdays would be in all of them for me.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

It should have been a straight red!
  • Options
    philiph said:

Is it when you get consulted on whether or not you want to be consulted?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

• Options
    philiph said:

How else can one pre-prepare for a consultation?!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

Yup, that was a red card as well.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

Don't make me go back and find the last time I showed this and you said it wasn't! :tongue:
  • Options

philiph said:

I have this beef with pre-ordering, when what you are actually doing is ordering.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

philiph said:

You jest, but I have seen consultation-esque exercises done in order to organise for the actual consultation. So pre-consultation can work. Clearly does't apply to a decision already taken as here.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,389
    Good to see McDonald's deciding to shut down their stores in Russia.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Can't imagine fuel prices in Bill's terms in Arkansas were that high. Was it the horror of going past a dollar a gallon or something ?
    My memory is that he added some kind of local gas/petrol tax to raise money for good works and came to bitterly regret it. It's in his autobiog but so many years since I read it I am hazy as the details go.

• Options

philiph said:

Winningest really grinds me gears.
    Grinds me gears sounds as if it should be a sex act where no cervicies are involved
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

Don't make me go back and find the last time I showed this and you said it wasn't! :tongue:
    Can we agree Harry Kane deserved a red card for his assault on Robertson earlier on this season?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,109
    Andy_JS said:

Might make them fitter, could have finished them off by a super-size campaign.
  • Options
    I don't wish to alarm anybody but Steve Bell doing a funny cartoon is a sign of the apocalypse as foretold in the book of revelation.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,204
    Hey Putin, take the off-ramp!
  • Options

Stokes, Foakes, Woakes all in 50+ partnerships.

We need more of these blokes.

Is it worth just trawling the counties for any more who rhyme?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Might make them fitter, could have finished them off by a super-size campaign.
    Balanced out by the fact that all they have to drink is vodka.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,036
    Seen the intriguing suggestion that since the USA is gradually retiring A-10 Warthogs they should transfer several squadrons to Ukraine under a lend-lease programme.

Allegedly a straightforward plane to learn to fly.

Hmmmm. It's one way to escalate, but I suspect a short life for the plane - if an expensive one for Russia.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

Can we agree Harry Kane deserved a red card for his assault on Robertson earlier on this season?
    Yes. It's the ones where the player gets the ball that are the problem. I can understand it if the foot is really high, but not when it's near the ground like the Robertson one and Sanchez just then.
  • Options
    Labour continues to maintain its 2017 coalition. Majority almost impossible without it.

Quite a turnaround, Starmer has done a good job.
  • Options

I don't wish to alarm anybody but Steve Bell doing a funny cartoon is a sign of the apocalypse as foretold in the book of revelation.

Luckily, he's never come close to that
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,036

Labour continues to maintain its 2017 coalition. Majority almost impossible without it.

Who's in the 2017 coalition?
  • Options
    268-6 isn't a bad outcome after all.
    There I said it.
    When we are all out for 270 and Windies 300-1 this time tomorrow I shall take my punishment.
  • Options

At least he's learnt from the last time he did Priti...

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/08/guardian-print-racist-cartoon-showing-priti-patel-bull-12366971/
  • Options
    "Across Moldova, a small, poor post-Soviet democracy next to Ukraine’s southwestern border, Moldovans are watching Russia’s advance on nearby Odessa — and packing their bags, just in case."

NY Times
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,407

She famously said “F*** the EU” over their indecision during Maidan. Perhaps someone in the US government has just said “F*** the State Department” and gone ahead with it.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,783
    Bell's cartoon could easily backfire. If Patel had commissioned a simplistic image to demonstrate the scale of the problem, this is it.
  • Options
    Gary_BurtonGary_Burton Posts: 737
    edited March 2022
    France, Elabe poll:

Macron (LREM-RE): 33.5% (+8.5)
    Le Pen (RN-ID): 15% (-2)
    Mélenchon (LFI-LEFT): 13% (+0.5)
    Zemmour (REC-NI): 11% (-3)
    Pécresse (LR-EPP): 10.5% (-1.5)

+/- vs. 27-28 February 2022

Fieldwork: 7-8 March 2022
    Sample size: 1,484

It will be so funny if Melenchon scrapes into the runoff.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,510
    Blistering @FT editorial on UK's shameful Ukrainian refugee policy 🔥🔥

Half-hearted measures, deliberately and unnecessarily complex, enacted too late, "entirely consistent with its overarching migration and asylum policy and with a confused Home Office" https://www.ft.com/content/2d3fca5f-7dd1-4cc7-a899-25d119158eff https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1501310677281124352/photo/1
  • Options
    MattW said:

Who's in the 2017 coalition?
    There’s me, the empower, this guy Scott, he’s awesome...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,013
    Leon said:

The worst cartoonist in Europe

He does serve up some real stinkers but this is a good'un imho.
  • Options

Pity John Noakes isn't still with us.
  • Options
    Illia Ponomarenko 🇺🇦

@IAPonomarenkoUkrainian tractors strike again ⚡️

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1501293371071123456
  • Options

They might want to miss out Jokes, Smokes, Tokes and Croaks.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Seen the intriguing suggestion that since the USA is gradually retiring A-10 Warthogs they should transfer several squadrons to Ukraine under a lend-lease programme.

Hmmmm. It's one way to escalate, but I suspect a short life for the plane - if an expensive one for Russia.

I mean there comes a point where we will be transferring our old Challenger 2s, the Apaches we don’t upgrade, and tranche one Typhoons. And at that point we may as well get stuck in properly.
  • Options

Bloakes surley
  • Options
    biggles said:

MattW said:

I mean there comes a point where we will be transferring our old Challenger 2s, the Apaches we don’t upgrade, and tranche one Typhoons. And at that point we may as well get stuck in properly.
    We must have some ancient pilots and technicians we can shift on to them along with the equipment.
  • Options

Away from the ones that rhyme, there’s this swing bowler who plays for Lancashire and a fast medium who plays for Notts. Amazing England haven’t picked up on them as they have hundreds of Test wickets, are in form, and seem to be eligible to play.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,013
    dixiedean said:

Haha - I can just imagine Blue Peter: "After last week's trampolining world-record attempt, it's more bouncers for John this week as he teams up with Crawley to open the batting for England."
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

Yes. It's the ones where the player gets the ball that are the problem. I can understand it if the foot is really high, but not when it's near the ground like the Robertson one and Sanchez just then.
    The one that I feel so sorry for the refs is when both players have their feet high in the air, and one of them is fractionally late/earlier, like this in Carabao Cup final

I understand why Keita stayed on the pitch, he clearly got the ball(s).
  • Options

France, Elabe poll:

The combined Right seems to be imploding.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,611
    Leon said:

The worst cartoonist in Europe

I bow to your wider experience. But he is crap, no doubt about that.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ahem...

The one that I feel so sorry for the refs is when both players have their feet high in the air, and one of them is fractionally late/earlier, like this in Carabao Cup final

I understand why Keita stayed on the pitch, he clearly got the ball(s).
    I was literally about to post that image! :lol:

VAR is a joke. It needs to go.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

MattW said:

We must have some ancient pilots and technicians we can shift on to them along with the equipment.
    The Tories have successfully outsourced war - the final end of Thatcherism. However Ukraine is rather more successful than Serco or Capita.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,715
    We've now had Russia saying 'We'll stop if we get x, y, and z' - big demands but stopping short of demanding the whole country. We now have Ukraine saying 'No, but let's talk'. This is hopeful. We should pray and really believe that there can be a peaceful outcome to this situation.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

YouGov breaks:

London
    Lab 49%
    Con 28%
    Grn 10%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%

Rest of South
    Con 41%
    Lab 31%
    LD 11%
    Grn 9%
    Ref 5%

Midlands/Wales
    Con 38%
    Lab 33%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 6%
    PC 4%

North
    Lab 50%
    Con 33%
    Grn 8%
    Ref 5%
    LD 3%

Scotland
    SNP 47%
    Lab 24%
    Con 19%
    Grn 3%
    LD 2%
    Ref 2%

(Sample Size: 1658 GB adults Fieldwork: 3rd - 4th March 2022)

LD vote looks quite efficiently concentrated where it needs to be, especially as their overall score is on the lower side of recent polls.
    They are rapidly becoming a South of England party. That has advantages and disadvantages.
    It does mean the LDs have replaced the Tories as the new party of the posh post Brexit
    Orkney and Shetland and Caithness are hardly Surrey.
    Even in Scotland the LDs tend to now represent the posher bits eg Edinburgh West, Caithness, North East Fife
    Edinburgh West isn't THAT posh. In fact I just happened to be passing AC-H's office the other day..

Corstorphine knows he’s talkin pish.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,359

France, Elabe poll:

@d_d is proving to be a poor predictor of French polls.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Can Sam Vokes bat?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Vokes
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Haha - I can just imagine Blue Peter: "After last week's trampolining world-record attempt, it's more bouncers for John this week as he teams up with Crawley to open the batting for England."
    Remember him turning out for Castleford in some Rugby League friendly or summat.
    Gutsy bloke.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Farooq said:

Endillion said:

I do believe you're beginning to get the hang of this.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,898

That new England coach Steve Miller making his mark.
  • Options

philiph said:

Have you seen the new electric BMW SUV? No-one could ever say that looked attractive.
  • Options

We've now had Russia saying 'We'll stop if we get x, y, and z' - big demands but stopping short of demanding the whole country. We now have Ukraine saying 'No, but let's talk'. This is hopeful. We should pray and really believe that there can be a peaceful outcome to this situation.

I don't mean to be glib, but there's a very easy peaceful solution. Russia goes home.
    They won't be chased over the border. The killing stops if the aggressor stops.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,611
    MattW said:

What they could do to that column really doesn't bear thinking about. Remember the highway of death?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056

A difficult wordle indeed.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Update - Moscow Exchange to remain closed for share trading tomorrow
    ForEx and bond markets will re-open (as per announcement earlier...)
This discussion has been closed.