Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This is not the time for Patel to be Home Secretary – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,723
edited March 2022 in General
imageThis is not the time for Patel to be Home Secretary – politicalbetting.com

What is becoming very clear is that there is a great deal of public involvement in the UK over the Ukraine crisis. People see terrible scenes on their televisions every evening and this has touched a raw nerve. Many want to find out if there is a way they can help relieve the terrible conditions many Ukrainians are having to put up with.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,427
    edited March 2022
    Good morning everyone.

I shan't hang around on here as I find it all too argumentative and angry at the moment, with some fairly pointless and petty fighting. I guess it's a way of venting the frustration and fury about the state of the world but there may be more wholesome ways of doing it than attempting to knock spots off an unknown stranger on what is normally a good and informative forum.

Have a nice day :)

xx

p.s. thank you to Mike and TSE for nevertheless continuing to put up excellent thread headers which are always worth reading and which I frequently share with friends.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,275
  • Options
    Every Conservative MP needs to read today’s #Times leader. They must tell ⁦⁦@pritipatel⁩ & #BorisJohnson ‘s spads, PPS’s & whips the British people are appalled & ashamed at their failure to offer safe haven to #Ukraine refugees & we won’t forget come the next election https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1501095836784152581/photo/1
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    When would it be time?
  • Options
    She knows she's let down the grassroots so far and so is petrified of being more flexible no matter the reason is my initial reading.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    FPT

To be fair to BoJo, putting a techno border on the land border was bound to be infinitely harder than putting it at the sea and air ports. Putting the formalities at places where journeys paused anyway was always the sensible point. A transition that was exited when the land border was fixed would have gone on for a very long time.

But this isn't really about the inconvenience of goods travel across the Irish Sea, is it? It's about the symbolism, like most of you-know-what. That doesn't mean stupid; symbols are important. But problems with symbols rarely respond well to a technical fix.

By doing that Bozo created a customs border within his own country - that is a very unique "achievement" and the reason why the Unionists are so unhappy.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,777
    Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

I shan't hang around on here as I find it all too argumentative and angry at the moment, with some fairly pointless and petty fighting. I guess it's a way of venting the frustration and fury about the state of the world but there may be more wholesome ways of doing it than attempting to knock spots off an unknown stranger on what is normally a good and informative forum.

xx

p.s. thank you to Mike and TSE for nevertheless continuing to put up excellent thread headers which are always worth reading and which I frequently share with friends.

If sensible people keep leaving - we will be left with 3 million copies of @SeanT and TankBoi - please reconsider.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s in pretty bad taste to equate Russia-Ukraine to England-Scotland. Undermines the case for independence.

I dont know a lot that but its very dumb and insulting to all sides. Some people cannot help but may the martyr, makes for a better story than real life.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682
    OT HMG is advertising Covid boosters for pregnant women. Take-up down?

Maybe that will come next: vaxports for refugees.
  • Options
    The gap between the British govt and the British public on help for Ukrainian refugees so growing.

A @RedfieldWilton poll for @NewStatesman: 64% want to grant visas without restriction. And 58% of Tory voters agreed.

https://inews.co.uk/news/ukrainian-refugees-are-getting-spin-and-chaos-from-priti-patel-not-the-urgent-help-they-need-1502283

It would be ironic for BoZo if having come to power on the back of this rhetoric

the same rhetoric turns people against him
  • Options
    I agree that Patel is not the right home secretary at this time

I listened to her at the dispatch box yesterday and she is forceful and seemed to respond to the questions, but clearly her words are not being matched by evidence in the field and she has utterly failed on the channel crossings

Certainly the situation in Calais is unacceptable and unless she rapidly improves then the criticism will justifiably increase
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

xx

If sensible people keep leaving - we will be left with 3 million copies of @SeanT and TankBoi - please reconsider.
    Sean will be along in a minute asking the Mod to ban you, and for Patel to have you executed.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,044
    Interested to see the US and Venezuela, if not cuddling up, at least exchanging glances.
    Yet up thing unthinkable a fortnight ago.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Heathener said:

Good morning everyone.

xx

It also won't be great if we keep the sensible people but all they are allowed to do is agree with each other. And what @Heathener wants us all to agree to, is a full on no fly zone regardless of the consequences.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    eek said:

FPT

To be fair to BoJo, putting a techno border on the land border was bound to be infinitely harder than putting it at the sea and air ports. Putting the formalities at places where journeys paused anyway was always the sensible point. A transition that was exited when the land border was fixed would have gone on for a very long time.

But this isn't really about the inconvenience of goods travel across the Irish Sea, is it? It's about the symbolism, like most of you-know-what. That doesn't mean stupid; symbols are important. But problems with symbols rarely respond well to a technical fix.

By doing that Bozo created a customs border within his own country - that is a very unique "achievement" and the reason why the Unionists are so unhappy.
    Ulster Unionists have now decided that Direct Rule from London is the only sustainable solution. Devolution and the GFA have failed.

Only problem is that the other parties (pro-unification parties; governments in Dublin, Washington and London) do not consider Direct Rule to be a sustainable solution.
  • Options
    Wallace on R4 re Putin: "he is a spent force in the world and no one will be taking his calls.. he's exhausted his army .. he's reducing his economy to zero.. he's diminishing his own country in the world and he has to take responsibility for that."
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1501111129724141569
  • Options
    Now we have top level trolling within the cabinet

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Wallace uses LBC interview to offer MoD staff support to Home Office to speed up processing of Ukrainian refugees....
  • Options
    Ben Wallace joins Liz Truss in offering what is becoming the standard Cabinet defence on visas for refugees: "I'm not the Home Secretary, right?"
    https://twitter.com/RobDotHutton/status/1501112667846684672
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    Scott_xP said:

Wallace on R4 re Putin: "he is a spent force in the world and no one will be taking his calls.. he's exhausted his army .. he's reducing his economy to zero.. he's diminishing his own country in the world and he has to take responsibility for that."

That's just rhetoric though. On the more immediate question of whether Poland should be supplied with additional aircraft to enable the transfer of 21 Mig 29s to the Ukraine without weakening their defences, Wallace seemed distinctly disappointingly lukewarm. Words to the effect that it's a matter for the Poles.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    Scott_xP said:

The gap between the British govt and the British public on help for Ukrainian refugees so growing.

A @RedfieldWilton poll for @NewStatesman: 64% want to grant visas without restriction. And 58% of Tory voters agreed.

https://inews.co.uk/news/ukrainian-refugees-are-getting-spin-and-chaos-from-priti-patel-not-the-urgent-help-they-need-1502283

It would be ironic for BoZo if having come to power on the back of this rhetoric

the same rhetoric turns people against him

The irony of that photo is they too were people forced from their homes by Russian aggression. And met in a Europe with hatred thanks, in part, to Russian social media campaigns to demonise refugees and Muslims. And those messages were amplified by and amplified Russian-backed far right parties.

One of the markers of an ignorant political commentators is when they mockingly say "Russians! Russians everywhere!" Especially in light of the situation in Belarus when people were being bussed to the Polish border and aided in attacking border fences. Everyone seems to have forgotten about that, but that was absolutely a prelude to this situation with Ukraine. An attempt to use refugees to harden European public opinion prior to the Ukraine adventure.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,104
    edited March 2022

I listened to her at the dispatch box yesterday and she is forceful and seemed to respond to the questions, but clearly her words are not being matched by evidence in the field and she has utterly failed on the channel crossings

Certainly the situation in Calais is unacceptable and unless she rapidly improves then the criticism will justifiably increase

She tried to mislead the Commons, and was called on it by Yvette Cooper.
    The Calais situation is entirely her responsibility.

You were telling us yesterday to wait for the figures to be announced last night on the number of refugees accepted. What do you make of it this morning ?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,872
    Too narrow to say it is just Patel, the Home Office itself, with its culture of squashing on immigration by any means possible fair or foul, rather than doing the hard miles to put in fair systems that work to manage immigration, is unfit for this task.

That Patel is unfit to change that culture, because it actually suits her to have a failing immigration system is just the cherry on the cake.
  • Options
    Interesting and heartwarming to hear @iainmartin1 - a #brexit voter - recognise that with #UkraineUnderAttaсk the Brexit era assumptions and thinking around Europe and European solidarity are hopelessly out of date and morally wrong. https://twitter.com/LizWebsterLD/status/1500852268526092289/video/1
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,855
    FPT:
    malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

A repeat message, to the people of Europe:

If you even think about joining NATO we will invade you.
    If you are in NATO we probably won't.
    Therefore, please stop wanting to join NATO.

8n the future, the EU will have its own defence force, that could defend RUkraine. Of course, I don't see how that's any better for Russia. But I suppose it won't be lead by the US or include the UK. So perhaps its more palatable.
    I expect the UK will be very much part of the EU defence planning and indeed a closer relationship all round
    I doubt it, and I most certainly hope not. An independent army is an essential feature of a free country.
    So Scotland isn't a free country?
    Most certainly is NOT. We are ruled by bour much bigger neighbour who will not let us be independent or join the EU. Strange parallels with just the bombs missing.
    Your absurdity is barely exceeded these days by your language. The only people stopping Scottish independence are Scottish voters.
    How does that work? Scottish voters just turned out in record numbers to vote in a national election to elect a record number of pro-independence MSPs. And are being told no by the Essicks Massiv, that however we vote we can't have it.
    A 'once in a generation vote'.
    That is a bare faced lie, show me where in the Edinburgh agreement that was written, and do not give me the bollox fact that Salmond said on a broadcast that it was a once in ageneration chance.
    BARE FACED LIE.
    It was in the Scottish Government’s prospectus “Scotland’s Future”.

In black and white.

Written down.

Not some “off the cuff” remark in a TV interview as some of the more credulous Nats like to claim.

• Options
    Briefing to Telegraph that Ireland's open door policy is security risk to the UK has made headline news in Ireland. Minister Rod O'Gorman just asked about it on RTE. Says Ireland's welcome of refugees (2,200 v UK's 300) is part of EU-wide policy and "is the right thing to do". https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1501111808945532930
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,777

Scott_xP said:

That's just rhetoric though. On the more immediate question of whether Poland should be supplied with additional aircraft to enable the transfer of 21 Mig 29s to the Ukraine without weakening their defences, Wallace seemed distinctly disappointingly lukewarm. Words to the effect that it's a matter for the Poles.
    Well, it's a matter between the Poles and the US (primarily) - The Poles were/are buying F-35 to replace the Mig-29. If they get rid of the Mig-29 now, that leaves a gap. And there aren't a row of F-35s sitting at your local dealer - each and every production slot has been sold for years into the future.

Given the situation, the Poles are apparently not keen on just leaving a gap. Understandable.

So, presumably, there are some negotiations between the Pole and the US (and potentially other users) about swapping slots in the production line to get F-35 to Poland faster, leasing some aircraft to fill the gap etc.
  • Options
    a lot of 'not my dept, guv' responses from rest of Cabinet when asked about refugees (Liz Truss yesterday, Ben Wallace today) but this is the post-Brexit immigration approach they signed up for surely, whether Patel is implementing it competently or not.
    https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1501113729328500738
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    eek said:

FPT

Getting their just desserts.
  • Options
    LME suspends nickel trading after unprecedented price spike
    https://twitter.com/flacqua/status/1501112330205155334
  • Options

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

8n the future, the EU will have its own defence force, that could defend RUkraine. Of course, I don't see how that's any better for Russia. But I suppose it won't be lead by the US or include the UK. So perhaps its more palatable.
    I expect the UK will be very much part of the EU defence planning and indeed a closer relationship all round
    I doubt it, and I most certainly hope not. An independent army is an essential feature of a free country.
    Most certainly is NOT. We are ruled by bour much bigger neighbour who will not let us be independent or join the EU. Strange parallels with just the bombs missing.
    Your absurdity is barely exceeded these days by your language. The only people stopping Scottish independence are Scottish voters.
    How does that work? Scottish voters just turned out in record numbers to vote in a national election to elect a record number of pro-independence MSPs. And are being told no by the Essicks Massiv, that however we vote we can't have it.
    That is a bare faced lie, show me where in the Edinburgh agreement that was written, and do not give me the bollox fact that Salmond said on a broadcast that it was a once in ageneration chance.
    BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

Not some “off the cuff” remark in a TV interview as some of the more credulous Nats like to claim.

It really doesn't matter. It's in nobody's gift to tie future parliaments. If the Scottish people want a referendum, they should have one. The idea of fencing people in using a years-old statement from a failed politician who was on the losing side is pretty weak.
  • Options

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

It was not in the agreement or the referendum at all. No manner of unionist revisionism can make it real.
    Democracy has been denied to Scotland, whilst Westminster trumpets about freedom for all countries but Scotland.
  • Options
    Thanks for putting "let them drown" in the header. That was clearly the implication of her policy to stop the boats. Hence even the navy and coastguard pointing out the stupidity of the "plan".

Despite the desperate attempts on here by the morally desperate to defend this, Britain stands alone. And not in a good way. You have to ask at which point we u-turn as we already have in increments.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    kle4 said:

She knows she's let down the grassroots so far and so is petrified of being more flexible no matter the reason is my initial reading.

Spot on. The English Channel crossings have meant she’s cracking down - in the wrong area..
  • Options
    Maybe I’m an insufferable cynic, but perhaps the government’s failures over U.K. visas for Ukrainian war refugees has less to do with xenophobia and more to do with the government’s incompetence ineptitude & assorted failures

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1501114784162451459
  • Options
    The subtext here is not subtle

SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH. @ukhomeoffice needs to move today from pettifogging process to active delivery. Stop “computer says no” mindset and get on and help. Don’t criticise Irish Republic: replicate it. Remember how we responded to Ugandan Asian crisis? We can and must do this
    https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1501111808945532930
    https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1500962068119314435
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,578
    kle4 said:

And equally pertinent, she isn't reacting out of genuine compassion or sympathy for the refugees and is only being prompted to give the matter her attention because of bad media.

• Options
    eek said:

Now we have top level trolling within the cabinet

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    Wallace uses LBC interview to offer MoD staff support to Home Office to speed up processing of Ukrainian refugees....

Wallace knows he is in a position of strength. Look at how he dealt with the Raab incompetence over Afghanistan - now the not so guarded comments about helping the home office.

Quite clear he knows they’re all utterly useless
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

It was not in the agreement or the referendum at all. No manner of unionist revisionism can make it real.
    Democracy has been denied to Scotland, whilst Westminster trumpets about freedom for all countries but Scotland.
    The Edinburgh Agreement said both signatories would respect the result of the vote. Why should we believe anything the Nationalists sign up to?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

She tried to mislead the Commons, and was called on it by Yvette Cooper.
    The Calais situation is entirely her responsibility.

You were telling us yesterday to wait for the figures to be announced last night on the number of refugees accepted. What do you make of it this morning ?
    Not acceptable and she has to put her fine words at the dispatch box into action but on her record on the channel I fear she will fail which is not acceptable

Good to see Ben Wallace intervening this morning
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,135
    "Gerhard Schroeder is the most dangerous of Putin's useful idiots
    Former chancellor encapsulates everything wrong with Germany's approach to Russia
    Ben Marlow"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/03/08/putin-apologist-gerhard-schroeder-encapsulates-everything-wrong/
  • Options
    A quick guide for any Ukrainian refugees

• Options
    edited March 2022
    malcolmg said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

Even if it was part of the agreement, even if it was part of the referendum, it wouldn't matter. There is an objective measure of how long we should wait before having a referendum, and it's got nothing to do with what Alex Salmond, Boris Johnson, Theresa May, Gordon Brown, or anyone else thinks.
    It's a mandate from the people. If that comes six months, six years, or never, it's up to the voters.

All this futzing around with dusty old pamphlets and long-expired manifestos is a distraction from the core principle that a nation must always have the absolute right to self determination through the ballot box.
  • Options
    Interesting: open source intelligence researchers using commercial satellite imagery concur with Pentagon assessment that 100% of the Russian force built up to invade Ukraine has now been committed

https://twitter.com/MarkUrban01/status/1501108892385923073
  • Options

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

Bloody hell, was it worth carrying this over from a previous thread? For the millionth bloody time, he wasn't and had no right to bind anyone to any future course of action. It's just a thing people say at referendums.

And OK it's an ad hominem point but why sit on bloody Jersey trying to bully the Scots? Either move to the Hebrides, or concentrate your fire on the Sark separatists.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217
    edited March 2022
    Patel is actually not a million miles from public opinion on this.

While 76% of British voters back taking in some Ukranian refugees, as we are, just 15% of British voters are willing to accept hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees into the UK

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1498979522221326337?s=20&t=mrIsd8D2ap5Sjj4UUbmmPw

71% of voters overall and 93% of Tories also back using the Navy to prevent boats of migrants crossing the Channel

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/08/13/support-RAF-Navy-English-Channel-migrant-crossing
  • Options

Maybe I’m an insufferable cynic, but perhaps the government’s failures over U.K. visas for Ukrainian war refugees has less to do with xenophobia and more to do with the government’s incompetence ineptitude & assorted failures

https://twitter.com/Paul1Singh/status/1501114784162451459

It does not make them any money so they don't care anything about it.
  • Options

Interesting: open source intelligence researchers using commercial satellite imagery concur with Pentagon assessment that 100% of the Russian force built up to invade Ukraine has now been committed

Interesting - I wonder if the Russians expected to use it all..
  • Options
    Remember my post a while back that said that Everton are going to be relegated

well https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60551040 confirms my theory that Frank Lampard was very much the wrong choice.

Wayne Rooney will be leading Everton to the Championship next season...
  • Options
    Not happening next year anyway:

The SNP could delay a second independence vote until after 2023 due to the Ukraine crisis, according to the party’s Westminster chief.

Ian Blackford said a referendum should be held in a “timely manner” and said the SNP must be “mindful of where we are” following Russia’s invasion.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/3078491/ian-blackford-snp-independence-ukraine/
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    It seems we have bouts of dyspepsia from time to time, but things usually even out. I admit I can't see a logical way out for Vlad. He's trashed the brand and burrowed into a corner. But what do I know?

His problem is that he's an activist, someone who knows he's saving the world from itself. Facts won't matter, and he has power. BoJo is lazy and incompetent, but that first quality can be an asset. It's when he starts doing things that the problems arise.

I'm tempted to sell my vote as long as the recipient promises to do as little as possible and have no fixed opinions. That sounds horribly like Boris, but at least, he doesn't go around nailing his head to the motorway to show his virtue-signalling. He does, however, show his green credentials by heading for zero carbon at full speed. Get over nuclear power, you Greens, it's the future whether you like it or not. It runs 24/7, given that tidal power has eye-watering start-up costs, and no government looks to the long-term - no matter what they say.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,456
    edited March 2022
    eek said:

In all the excitement of fleeing a warzone I left my driving licence passport and utility bill on the kitchen table. Do I need to go back and get them?
  • Options

"Ou est la masse de manoeuvre?"
    "Aucune."
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,100
    The first response to the invasion and visas from Patel shows her true colours.

A horrible person lacking in any humanity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

While 76% of British voters back taking in some Ukranian refugees, as we are, just 15% of British voters are willing to accept hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian refugees into the UK

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1498979522221326337?s=20&t=mrIsd8D2ap5Sjj4UUbmmPw

You spectacularly miss the point

Patel said to wait for the numbers until last night and when released it was just 300

I listened to her at the dispatch box with her fine words, but these words have to translate into action with all 17,700 applications the home office said they had received granted in the next few days
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The first response to the invasion and visas from Patel shows her true colours.

A horrible person lacking in any humanity.

Cabinet collective responsibility. I think we can spread the loathing a little bit wider.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,685
    Scott_xP said:

a lot of 'not my dept, guv' responses from rest of Cabinet when asked about refugees (Liz Truss yesterday, Ben Wallace today) but this is the post-Brexit immigration approach they signed up for surely, whether Patel is implementing it competently or not.
    https://twitter.com/gabyhinsliff/status/1501113729328500738

This is a bit skewed. No post Brexit understanding about migration policy took into account the possibility of millions of Europeans being on the move from war and war crimes. Brexit is nothing much to do with it.

What is the case, and the liberal media tacitly acknowledge this over Ukraine by giving it much more coverage than they do to Syria or wars in Africa, is that populations make differences in their minds about both mass migration and refugee positions.

Poles cheerfully accept millions of Ukrainians but dodn't accept millions of Syrians etc etc.

Underlying all this are two factors: proximity and cultural likeness.

We are distant from Ukraine and should take many many but probably not millions. Suppose France or the Netherlands was surrounded by genocidal enemies on every side. Millions would come here and we would accept it and deal with it.

This is not a defence of Patel who is awful.

• Options

eek said:

In all the excitement of fleeing a warzone I left my driving licence passport and utility bill on the kitchen table. Do I need to go back and get it?
    I have been wondering what proportion of the population of Ukraine had passports?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221

eek said:

In all the excitement of fleeing a warzone I left my driving licence passport and utility bill on the kitchen table. Do I need to go back and get it?
    Do you think someone turning up Calais saying they are Ukrainian should be allowed in no questions asked?
  • Options
    edited March 2022

eek said:

Yep - because that isn't plausible.

We have a strange idea about how other people use ID because we don't carry an Id card around all the time...

Most Europeans automatically carry them.

And as I said yesterday 99% of people will have their passport or ID card with them.

So you can improve things instantly by allowing the 99% with passports through leaving the manual work for the few that have lost / not got / are falsely claiming.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,862

Scott_xP said:

It is a matter for the Poles.

I don't see them doing it unless they are taken out of the supply loop - eg part-exchange for later US fighters, and US then supplies.

It's a shocker that the thing has even been discussed publicly.
  • Options

Morning! So glad that you have now understood the true position on this issue.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

Bloody hell, was it worth carrying this over from a previous thread? For the millionth bloody time, he wasn't and had no right to bind anyone to any future course of action. It's just a thing people say at referendums.

And OK it's an ad hominem point but why sit on bloody Jersey trying to bully the Scots? Either move to the Hebrides, or concentrate your fire on the Sark separatists.
    Are the only people allowed to have an opinion on the future of the U.K. resident in the Hebrides?

I’m just interested in keeping Malc straight on the facts - we are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

And the “once in a generation” was in an official Scottish Government publication, not some “off the cuff remark”.

I am open to the argument that it’s optimistic to believe much the SNP says, but them’s the facts of what they wrote.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981
    Farooq said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

It really doesn't matter. It's in nobody's gift to tie future parliaments. If the Scottish people want a referendum, they should have one. The idea of fencing people in using a years-old statement from a failed politician who was on the losing side is pretty weak.
    The polling suggests they do not want one.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

Are the only people allowed to have an opinion on the future of the U.K. resident in the Hebrides?

I’m just interested in keeping Malc straight on the facts - we are all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts.

And the “once in a generation” was in an official Scottish Government publication, not some “off the cuff remark”.

I am open to the argument that it’s optimistic to believe much the SNP says, but them’s the facts of what they wrote.
    No, it's just the relentless peering through other peoples' front curtains. When you are not telling Malc he has to belong in the UK you are telling the rest of us how grateful and happy we are to live in Brexit Britain. Come and try it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

Do you think someone turning up Calais saying they are Ukrainian should be allowed in no questions asked?
    Nope but what about the people claiming to be Ukrainian with paperwork to prove it - that could easily be delegated to someone in Calais / Lille with confirmation again at Dover / St Pancras.

It's interesting to note the attitudes of those people on here who wish to be awkward - they look at the worst case example and instantly assume everyone will be in the same boat.

The reality is that I could probably get 6000+ people into the UK a day just by applying the common sense approach of has a valid Ukrainian passport - visa granted.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

I have been wondering what proportion of the population of Ukraine had passports?
    Ukrainians are required to have ID cards
  • Options

The SNP could delay a second independence vote until after 2023 due to the Ukraine crisis, according to the party’s Westminster chief.

Ian Blackford said a referendum should be held in a “timely manner” and said the SNP must be “mindful of where we are” following Russia’s invasion.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/politics/scottish-politics/3078491/ian-blackford-snp-independence-ukraine/

I believe Malc now backs Alba, as he realises the SNP will do sod all about independence as long as they have their backsides on House of Commons seats plus fine dining and expenses and as long as Sturgeon gets to stay in Bute House as First Minister
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,862
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

Compulsory identity card.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_identity_card

I wonder if a Russian passport counts?
  • Options

Only a first step.

I am mostly out today, but if you could try, say about lunch time, to introduce the concept of collective cabinet responsibility...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,501

There is never a time for Patel to be Home Secretary. FPTP is a disgrace.

It might be, but the last time the public were asked they voted to keep it.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Thinking of the Ukraine and two presidents, here's an article by a great essayist:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/05/opinion/zelensky-ukraine-trump.html
  • Options
    eek said:

Remember my post a while back that said that Everton are going to be relegated

well https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60551040 confirms my theory that Frank Lampard was very much the wrong choice.

Wayne Rooney will be leading Everton to the Championship next season...

We didn't want Benitez, because... reasons.
    The touching belief that simply getting rid of one of the top managers in the world, and replacing him with a bloke who was decent at football,
    would turn it around because he wasn't a Red, shows just how dysfunctional the club is at every level.
    Moshiri is proof that money isn't everything. I wistfully long for the days of a Moyes team of League One signings coming a comfortable tenth and putting the wind up everyone we played.
    I was of the belief we could go down in January. I posted the 8-1 value here.
    Rooney will be next.
    Only hope is to get DCL back to full form and fitness.
    Yes. Rooney next.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Scott_xP said:

It is a matter for the Poles.

I don't see them doing it unless they are taken out of the supply loop - eg part-exchange for later US fighters, and US then supplies.

It's a shocker that the thing has even been discussed publicly.
    Yes - this should have been done quietly and discretely, not having Borrell trumpeting that “the EU is sending Ukraine 70 warplanes”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ukraine-war-eu-diplomats-plan-to-send-aircraft-derided-as-absurd-p5fwkrmv2
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,456
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

Mind you providing documentary proof for my late father in his final years were a trial. An expired passport, revoked driving license (health issue) didn't cut the mustard, and we would take several attempts at HMG questionnaires. Imagine the buggy software programmes HMG use too.

And sod going back to Paris or Brussels, personally I'd decamp in Calais and let the French take care of me.
  • Options
    kamski said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Ukrainians are required to have ID cards
    I know. But there has been talk of passports. Are they a requirement for a UK visa?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    It seems to me that the UK's immigration agency is much like many other UK government agencies - preferring to harass the innocent for box ticking purposes rather than concentrate on those who are ignoring the rules entirely.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,454
    edited March 2022

As I posted yesterday I wanted to hear Patel 's version at the dispatch box and listening to her she was on top of her brief but then the figures of 300 out of 17,700 were released last night and like the channel crossings Patel's words do not translate into action

This may of course be down to the civil servants and a general lack of urgency, but clearly some checks are needed, as indeed labour have agreed, but the most important part of all of this is just common sense and discretion

I expect a lot of the Ukrainians do not have passports or even documents and computer says no is just not acceptable

Patel needs to ramp up and speed up the approvals
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

eek said:

How many faux ukraniens do you think are plotting to exploit this loophole and to turn up with no papers at all and no papered person to vouch for them? How many do you think would falsely persuade a Home Office team advised by native Ukrainian speakers they were the real deal?
  • Options

It seems to me that the UK's immigration agency is much like many other UK government agencies - preferring to harass the innocent for box ticking purposes rather than concentrate on those who are ignoring the rules entirely.

Indeed. There is a default assumption that folk must be cheating the system in some way. Rather than being merely disorganised/incompetent/illiterate.
    This isn't just a Home Office issue.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Farooq said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

The polling suggests they do not want one.
    The number one rule of referendums is you only call them if you know the result, or if you absolutely have to.

The SNP had a window post Brexit and when Johnson was PM. Since then, the pandemic and now Ukraine/Russia has made it more difficult for them.

Not sure that window is coming back soon, so any referendum is a big big risk for them
  • Options

There is never a time for Patel to be Home Secretary. FPTP is a disgrace.

It might be, but the last time the public were asked they voted to keep it.
    Correct, even in Scotland 63% voted for FPTP for Westminster elections over AV in 2011
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,100
    What exactly are the security concerns re Ukrainians .

This excuse by Patel is being used to put roadblocks in the visa process .
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

No, it's just the relentless peering through other peoples' front curtains. When you are not telling Malc he has to belong in the UK you are telling the rest of us how grateful and happy we are to live in Brexit Britain. Come and try it.
    I note you have no answer to Malc’s “wrong” facts.

Since you appear to have developed a stalkerish interest in my physical location I now live in “Brexit Britain”.

And for your general education, Sark is part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, not Jersey. And in irony of ironies had democracy imposed on it against the popular will….
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

How many faux ukraniens do you think are plotting to exploit this loophole and to turn up with no papers at all and no papered person to vouch for them? How many do you think would falsely persuade a Home Office team advised by native Ukrainian speakers they were the real deal?
    Whites only?

Serious question as there are immigrants in Ukraine, too. Note that the test is about residency rather than nationality.
  • Options

As I posted yesterday I wanted to hear Patel 's version at the dispatch box and listening to her she was on top of her brief but then the figures of 300 out of 17,700 were released last night and like the channel crossings Patel's words ro not relate to action

This may of course be down to the civil servants and a general lack of urgency, but clearly some checks are needed, as indeed labour have agreed, but the most important part of all of this is just common sense and discretion

I expect a lot of the Ukrainians do not have passports or even documents and computer says no is just not acceptable

No reason to expect that. The first thing you take is your identity papers unless you are making yourself deliberately stateless. All Ukrainians have ID cards. But PP is welcome to establish a sonderkommando to deal with the edgiest of edge cases where people turn up with absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    edited March 2022
    Solution for Crimea: an independent statelet with Dhezzar Pamir Giray as Khan. (Limited powers of course, as a head of state, with an elected parliament). Enforced neutrality.

Russia gets to retain Sevastopol Ona 25 year lease

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giray_dynasty
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    Fpt for @foxy on unexpected travel by ye olden people

Check out the amazing World of Stonehenge exhibition at the British Museum. It’s so good I’m going back again this week. I’ve NEVER revisited a temporary exhibition before

They have this thing called the NEBRA SKY DISC. The oldest known map of the cosmos. 4000 years old. A flat metallic orrery. Unearthed a few years ago in Germany. Yet the gold embedded in it… comes from Cornwall

Or see the buried archer from near Stonehenge. The Amesbury grave. Also about 4000 years old. Yet this guy was born in the Alps?!

It’s a mind blowing, spine tingling exhibition. Go!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,573
    nico679 said:

Russians terrorists/agents pretending to be Ukr. We know there are a lot in Ukr already.

• Options

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Mind you providing documentary proof for my late father in his final years were a trial. An expired passport, revoked driving license (health issue) didn't cut the mustard, and we would take several attempts at HMG questionnaires. Imagine the buggy software programmes HMG use too.

And sod going back to Paris or Brussels, personally I'd decamp in Calais and let the French take care of me.
    Yeah. I've recently rented a flat with a passport which expired during the pandemic. And no driving licence.
    It wasn't easy at all. An ID card would have been hugely handy tbh.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I believe Malc now backs Alba, as he realises the SNP will do sod all about independence as long as they have their backsides on House of Commons seats plus fine dining and expenses and as long as Sturgeon gets to stay in Bute House as First Minister
    If only Farage and the Tory nutters had had such a mature outlook ;)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,670
    I think she's doing fine. The immediate safety of people fleeing Ukraine is the priority. Regarding whether they can then come to the UK, I would prefer the approach of getting it right and making the system workable and sustainable. Ireland's actions, as we heard yesterday, may cause real issues in the longer term.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Russian spies, presumably
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,135
    "McDonald's and Coca-Cola boycott calls grow over Russia"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60649214
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

malcolmg said:

felix said:

felix said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

BARE FACED LIE.

In black and white.

Written down.

I note you have no answer to Malc’s “wrong” facts.

Since you appear to have developed a stalkerish interest in my physical location I now live in “Brexit Britain”.

And for your general education, Sark is part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, not Jersey. And in irony of ironies had democracy imposed on it against the popular will….
    I have rehearsed for the 3m th time why your point is utter nonsense. It suggests you think that a campaigning pamphlet can arbitrarily suspend a national right recognises by the UN. It is just embarrassing garbage.

Glad to welcome you into the fold. It's nice here.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

As I posted yesterday I wanted to hear Patel 's version at the dispatch box and listening to her she was on top of her brief but then the figures of 300 out of 17,700 were released last night and like the channel crossings Patel's words ro not relate to action

No reason to expect that. The first thing you take is your identity papers unless you are making yourself deliberately stateless. All Ukrainians have ID cards. But PP is welcome to establish a sonderkommando to deal with the edgiest of edge cases where people turn up with absolutely nothing.
    Not easy if your home has been flattened by a Russian shell, mind.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Whites only?

Serious question as there are immigrants in Ukraine, too. Note that the test is about residency rather than nationality.
    Oh look, an edge case.

She can fast track whites, if she wants to enhance her reputation within the party, sure.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    HYUFD said:

71% of voters overall and 93% of Tories also back using the Navy to prevent boats of migrants crossing the Channel

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/08/13/support-RAF-Navy-English-Channel-migrant-crossing

As usual in these polls people generally picked a middle option. But there has always been a willingness to accept genuine refugees from a desperate situation if they came through an official channel. The way we're making the official channel as difficult as possible does not reflect most people's wishes as they see the catastrophe unfolding on their sscreens.

Responsibility for resettling refugees in my borough is in my portfolio. We've received exactly three families through the Home Office system so far. We've said repeatedly that we'll be glad to take more, and I know many other boroughs are doing the same. Instead, the Government is housing large numbers of Afghans in hostels at taxpayers' expense while they ponder the paperwork, and making the process ludicrously difficult for Ukrainians.

Why?
This discussion has been closed.