Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Lebedev peerage affair looks set to halt the Johnson recovery – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,997
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I am sure what is on the lips of every voter in the key swing seats of the Redwall is that Lebedev got a peerage, nothing impacts on their daily lives more!

In reality of course this is mainly a North London, Islington set issue, especially given Lebedev has already denounced Putin anyway.

Note too Lebedev has given a lot of support to homeless charities, he is more worthy of a peerage than many

I give a monthly amount to Centrepoint homeless charity.
    And I frequently comment on PB, a distinguished global discussion forum for the great and the good (and some others).
    And I dedicated my life to working in the public sector, for the greater good.

Can I have a peerage please? Thanks.
    You need to be a bit more focused with your charitable donations. Think of our poor, underfunded political parties who need your help.
    But the Liberal Democrats can't nominate many peers these days.
    Well the Tories are pretty open about their 'donate several million and you get a peerage' policy, so if you don't have that much to give really that is your own fault. If you didn't want to be ignored why did you not become a millionaire or be born with money?
    Of course the first PM to offer peerages for cash was not a Tory but a Liberal, Lloyd-George
    Deleted. Response to wrong comment.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Aslan said:

Big antiwar protests across Russia:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/6/detentions-across-russia-anti-war-protests-monitor

56 cities already. As the economic pain hits, these are likely to ramp up further.

Plucky...very plucky. May their numbers multiply exponentially.
    There must come a point when it becomes impossible to detain them all, surely?
    Russia isn't short of space for gulags.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, I am sure what is on the lips of every voter in the key swing seats of the Redwall is that Lebedev got a peerage, nothing impacts on their daily lives more!

In reality of course this is mainly a North London, Islington set issue, especially given Lebedev has already denounced Putin anyway.

Note too Lebedev has given a lot of support to homeless charities, he is more worthy of a peerage than many

I give a monthly amount to Centrepoint homeless charity.
    And I frequently comment on PB, a distinguished global discussion forum for the great and the good (and some others).
    And I dedicated my life to working in the public sector, for the greater good.

Can I have a peerage please? Thanks.
    You need to be a bit more focused with your charitable donations. Think of our poor, underfunded political parties who need your help.
    But the Liberal Democrats can't nominate many peers these days.
    Well the Tories are pretty open about their 'donate several million and you get a peerage' policy, so if you don't have that much to give really that is your own fault. If you didn't want to be ignored why did you not become a millionaire or be born with money?
    Of course the first PM to offer peerages for cash was not a Tory but a Liberal, Lloyd-George
    Didn’t do the Liberal Party much good, did it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited March 2022
    Farooq said:

Chris said:

Any day now I expect to see a headline on this site reading something like "Kiev falls - will this make it harder for the Conservatives to keep control of Flittering Parish Council?"

With a response from HYUFD explaining why the Conservatives would win 63.8% of the votes if Kiev doesn’t fall, but would still win 62.7% of the votes even if Kiev fell, and that the opposition had their chance in 2014, so won’t be allowed to run the council even if they won.
    If I had the time, once of the pieces I was planning to publish this week was.

Why Vladimir Putin is bad for Scottish Nationalism.
    That would be an interesting read indeed. This situation has got me reassessing my feelings towards independence, and it's pulling me in both directions.

Certainly it's in Putin's interests to see the UK divided, and that puts me off.
    On the other hand, it's reinforced how vital it is that a nation (and Scotland is a nation) has control over its own destiny. Obviously I don't want to go full Mad Malky here, the English rule of Scotland is extremely benign when measured against what Putin would do with Ukraine, but it's still a case of large parts of our policy are made by people we don't want, don't like, and who disagree with us. That ought to be addressed better.
    And then swinging back to the unionist side again, the SNP's positions on nuclear weapons, is it sustainable? I have doubts. And even though the SNP are now pro-NATO, I'm not quite sure where Scotland is overall.

Conclusion: I'm still on the fence, but I could well imagine people switching sides because of this. Hard to say whether it'll lean more one way than the other.
    Of course if China follows Russia's invasion of Ukraine with an invasion of Taiwan and while Spain even continues to refuse Catalonia 1 independence referendum, the UK government's refusal to allow indyref2 looks benign by comparison
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Any day now I expect to see a headline on this site reading something like "Kiev falls - will this make it harder for the Conservatives to keep control of Flittering Parish Council?"

With a response from HYUFD explaining why the Conservatives would win 63.8% of the votes if Kiev doesn’t fall, but would still win 62.7% of the votes even if Kiev fell, and that the opposition had their chance in 2014, so won’t be allowed to run the council even if they won.
    There is a Parish Council by election in Buckhurst Hill on Thursday aptly enough, a Conservative candidate v a Residents' Association candidate
    Ah, Buckhurst Hill!
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=sunil060902+buckhurst&title=Special:MediaSearch&go=Go&type=image
    What a nice station building, with real brick. How old is it? 1920s?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Brave Russian protestors:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h
    “I survived the Leningrad Siege! (...) What do you want from me?” says an elderly woman in Kaliningrad today.

“We have friends and family in Ukraine!” says another woman.

“You came to support the fascists?” asks the cop, then orders them all arrested.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1500538599741304838
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

That would be an interesting read indeed. This situation has got me reassessing my feelings towards independence, and it's pulling me in both directions.

Certainly it's in Putin's interests to see the UK divided, and that puts me off.
    On the other hand, it's reinforced how vital it is that a nation (and Scotland is a nation) has control over its own destiny. Obviously I don't want to go full Mad Malky here, the English rule of Scotland is extremely benign when measured against what Putin would do with Ukraine, but it's still a case of large parts of our policy are made by people we don't want, don't like, and who disagree with us. That ought to be addressed better.
    And then swinging back to the unionist side again, the SNP's positions on nuclear weapons, is it sustainable? I have doubts. And even though the SNP are now pro-NATO, I'm not quite sure where Scotland is overall.

Conclusion: I'm still on the fence, but I could well imagine people switching sides because of this. Hard to say whether it'll lean more one way than the other.
    Of course if China follows Russia's invasion of Ukraine with an invasion of Taiwan and while Spain even continues to refuse Catalonia even 1 independence referendum. the UK government's refusal to allow indyref2 looks benign by comparison
    Russia, Taiwan, Catalonia - three very different things.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    I think we maybe worry too much about the fighter jet issue. I see the Ukrainians have got a load more Turkish drones. I'm puzzled as to why we haven't done more for them there.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?
    Er...yes. When he talked about the Ullapool to Inverness ferry, for a start.
    You haven't been invited on a cruise on that one yet?
    Maybe if you gave more to the homeless you'd be allowed on for a summer sailing.
    Last time I went on a cruise in Scotland it was from Fort William to Inverness, but we went via Fort Augustus not Ullapool.

I also cycled quite a lot of the way, although I chickened out of cycling along Loch Ness to Inverness. It looked on the steep side.

The trail by Loch Lochy was great though, and I actually made it all round the loch. This had nothing to do with the fact that I wasn't sure where the turning was and went straight past it...
    From memory, the road along Loch Ness only has a couple of steep bits, maybe at Drumnadrochit and Invermoriston. There certainly are worse roads for cycling in Scotland!

That said, I'd never attempt to cycle the A82. It's a toxic mix of tourists looking for Nessie instead of looking where they're driving, and impatient locals overtaking round blind corners. I don't even like driving it.
    There's another road on the Foyers side that cyclists use. I think it was the main road before they built the A82. But like I say, it looked steep.

Also, frankly, I fancied sailing along Loch Ness.
    Plus it’s mostly single track with a big caravan site halfway along. Motorhomes and caravans coming the other way, driven by southerners who can’t deal with single track roads and don’t understand the concept of passing places.
    There's some sort of separate cycle/walking track as well - I noticed it when sailing along the Glen a little bit (met my friend in his yacht near Urquhart Castle then to Inverness). Not just on the canal bits. Not sure if it goes all the way round, so DYOR, but

https://lochness360.com/
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,304

Aslan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/6/detentions-across-russia-anti-war-protests-monitor

56 cities already. As the economic pain hits, these are likely to ramp up further.

Stalin locked up between 14 and 18 million* in Gulags, although not all at the same time.

More likely Putin will at some point adopt the Novocherkassk solution.

Which only makes the actions of those protesting all the more courageous, of course.

*the exact figure is uncertain.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1500475577383497731
    "Get familiar with #Transnistria

You will soon be hearing a lot more about it"

Rubio signalling that US Int believes that Russia are going to start doing things from Transnistria?

Or Moldova see an opportunity in a moment of weakness for Russia to end the Russian occupation.
    I wonder if Georgia might get the same idea over South Ossetia?
    If it becomes clear that Russia is going to lose in Ukraine (and that is a very big if), then I'd expect some in Georgia and Moldova (and Chechnya and the Tartars in Crimea) to be tempted to strike when the Russian military are overstretched. But I'd doubt they'd want to poke the bear in its current mindset and before it is completely down.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,822
    If this is true it's yet more evidence of the need to tighten up what you need to do to be a member.

Regardless of the Russia issue Lebedev's peerage is absurd. He's never made a speech and only turned up three times (the minimum number required to avoid being suspended).
    https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1500237003337744387?cxt=HHwWhoC-7ePm9NEpAAAA
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited March 2022
    Farooq said:

Chris said:

I'll try and do something on it next week.

In short, back in 2019 I had a conversation with someone fairly high up in Vote Leave who admitted that Leave got lucky that the referendum was held before Trump became President.

It made people rather glad about international alliances and the EU.

Had the referendum been held in 2017/18 when Trump was being Trump that would have seen Remain win comfortably was this Vote Leave person's view.

I wonder if Putin could be that figure to help Unionists in Indyref2.

I did go a bit tangentially and wonder if the situation might give the risk adverse Nicola Sturgeon a reason to delay indyref2, something her critics in the wider independence movement some succour to say she doesn't want to hold indyref2 which leads to other problems for the independence movement, thanks to some bloodletting.

(FWIW I think Sturgeon is a bit more realistic and realises that if No wins Indyref2 then that really is Scottish independence dead for a generation, and wants to be in place where she's confident of winning indyref2, such as Yes being somewhere consistently north of 55% in the polls for say 18 months.)
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673

I think we maybe worry too much about the fighter jet issue. I see the Ukrainians have got a load more Turkish drones. I'm puzzled as to why we haven't done more for them there.

It is quite possible British and American experienced drone pilots are piloting those drones. How would Russia ever know?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited March 2022

Why would Lebedev be a security risk? Are peers granted automatic access to state secrets? The House of Lords is just an impotent talking shop for has-been and never-were flatterees. It wouldn't matter if Putin himself was a member.

Incidentally, I see the early reports that Visa and Mastercard are pulling out of Russia aren't quite right - they are pulling out of international transactions, but will still work for domestic ones as before. Essentially it blocks a sanctions loophole enabling oligarchs to order fur coats from Harrods using Mastercard.
    Aren’t Visa and Mastercard just brands on top if existing payment systems administered by the actual banks though? In which case probably the most they can actually do to affect domestic use is withdraw the rights to use the branding and then sue any Russian banks not complying for trademark infringement in the Russian courts. Which of course would get about as far as that column north of Kyiv…
  • Options

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h
    “I survived the Leningrad Siege! (...) What do you want from me?” says an elderly woman in Kaliningrad today.

“You came to support the fascists?” asks the cop, then orders them all arrested.

Konigsberg should really be given back to the Poles.
  • Options
    TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Rubio signalling that US Int believes that Russia are going to start doing things from Transnistria?

Or Moldova see an opportunity in a moment of weakness for Russia to end the Russian occupation.
    If it becomes clear that Russia is going to lose in Ukraine (and that is a very big if), then I'd expect some in Georgia and Moldova (and Chechnya and the Tartars in Crimea) to be tempted to strike when the Russian military are overstretched. But I'd doubt they'd want to poke the bear in its current mindset and before it is completely down.
    The other fear is civil war within Russia. I mentioned 1917 - military defeat - as being a possible historical analogy if Russia loses.

They've committed so many forces to Ukraine they will be exhausted. Also don't forget Belarus!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,908
    As a Liverpool fan, I’m usually happy to see “Man United collapse, capitulate, then give up” as a headline.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/06/manchester-city-vs-manchester-united-live-score-premier-league/

Not today though. Oh well.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Aslan said:

It is quite possible British and American experienced drone pilots are piloting those drones. How would Russia ever know?
    Are their British drones? If so have we given any to Ukraine?
  • Options
    I am going to sell my M1 MacBook Pro and hopefully buy the M2 model when it is released. I made a big error going for 8GB of RAM, otherwise it's a superb machine and the best Apple has made in years.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    I’m going to do a post on “What Putin’s invasion means for Ipswich Town’s playoff push”.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Chris said:

In short, back in 2019 I had a conversation with someone fairly high up in Vote Leave who admitted that Leave got lucky that the referendum was held before Trump became President.

Had the referendum been held in 2017/18 when Trump was being Trump that would have seen Remain win comfortably was this Vote Leave person's view.

I did go a bit tangentially and wonder if the situation might give the risk adverse Nicola Sturgeon a reason to delay indyref2, something her critics in the wider independence movement some succour to say she doesn't want to hold indyref2 which leads to other problems for the independence movement, thanks to some bloodletting.

(FWIW I think Sturgeon is a bit more realistic and realises that if No wins Indyref2 then that really is Scottish independence dead for a generation, and wants to be in place where she's confident of winning indyref2, such as Yes being somewhere consistently north of 55% in the polls for say 18 months.)
    "I had a conversation with someone fairly high up in Vote Leave "

• Options
    Aslan said:

We think Russia lost 9 warplanes yesterday. They're taking a big risk committing all their forces.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I’m going to do a post on “What Putin’s invasion means for Ipswich Town’s playoff push”.

Warrants a whole thread piece I should say, Doug.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

The other fear is civil war within Russia. I mentioned 1917 - military defeat - as being a possible historical analogy if Russia loses.

They've committed so many forces to Ukraine they will be exhausted. Also don't forget Belarus!
    Civil war between which belligerents?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited March 2022
    Sandpit said:

As a Liverpool fan, I’m usually happy to see “Man United collapse, capitulate, then give up” as a headline.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/06/manchester-city-vs-manchester-united-live-score-premier-league/

Not today though. Oh well.

Citeh's final match of the season is Villa.

Steven Gerrard helps win Liverpool the title for the first time?

It's written in the stars.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797

Farooq said:

Chris said:

If the SNP were feeling opportunistic, they could adopt a policy of increasing spending on defence. Defence is not a devolved matter, as I understand it. They could blame austerity in the UK for running down the armed forces to the low point they are currently at, suggesting that only through Independence can the trend be reversed and people made safe. So I don't think Mad Vlad will have much effect, if the SNP are clever.

• Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Cookie said:

Aslan said:

This is true courage.
    Quite humbling.
    But will it make any difference? If a regime only cares about being feared, and doesn't really care whether it is loved or not, do protests ever have any effect?
    They did in Romania, I suppose. But not in Tiananmen Square.
    To quote the great Hungarian Kossuth: "the light has spread and even bayonets think"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

I am going to sell my M1 MacBook Pro and hopefully buy the M2 model when it is released. I made a big error going for 8GB of RAM, otherwise it's a superb machine and the best Apple has made in years.

Any issues with overheating on dual monitors? My intel one (2019) does this all the time and it is quite annoying.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    If confidence in Putin drains away in all sectors of Russian society his end may be swift, let us hope so.
  • Options

Aslan said:

We think Russia lost 9 warplanes yesterday. They're taking a big risk committing all their forces.
    At the start of the conflict, Russia had around 1,100 warplanes (plus transporters, refuellers, helicopters etc). How many of those actually exist and are serviceable, is anyone’s guess. Let’s assume 50%, which IMHO is a tad optimistic given what else we know about the Russian forces at the moment.

Now, Ukraine says they’ve shot down around 50 in the last 10 days, which represents 10% of the entire Russian Air Force downed in a week and a half. There’s plenty of evidence for most of those kills too, so it’s not a wild over-estimate.

There’s also 30 or 40 helicopters shot down, which is fair proportion of the rotary fleet as well.

Thanks to weapons and training over the past half dozen years, the Ukranians have great equipment and know how to use it. There’s no need for the antagonistic “No-Fly Zone” that Putin wants NATO to activate, the Ukranian forces, backed by NATO weapons and intelligence, are doing just fine.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited March 2022

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

If there is civil war in Russia, then all bets are off in the satellites. And you'd have to wonder if Siberia and the Far Russian East at that point might ponder whether they'd be better off without Moscow and the Kremlin. You might just see a further splintering of the Russian/Soviet Empire.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

It was never really Polish though. It was Prussian (the original Prussians related to the Lithuanians and Latvians), then under the Teutonic Order. It then passed to the Hohenzollerns as part if Ducal Prussia. That was under Polish suzerainty for a century or but the population had been pretty much Germanized by then.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Civil war between which belligerents?
    The mob v the oligarchs (and all their expressions of wealth and authority) I should think.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

If the SNP were feeling opportunistic, they could adopt a policy of increasing spending on defence. Defence is not a devolved matter, as I understand it. They could blame austerity in the UK for running down the armed forces to the low point they are currently at, suggesting that only through Independence can the trend be reversed and people made safe. So I don't think Mad Vlad will have much effect, if the SNP are clever.

Their sums already read as thought they were computed by Diane Abbott. How would they budget for more defence spending?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Warrants a whole thread piece I should say, Doug.
    A short history of tractor boys in Ukrainian?
    That deserves a lot more than just a ‘like’ :+1:
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,599
    Aslan said:

I'd say that UK and US pilots don't have experience on the particular drone - and I do not know that drone flying skills are *that* much more transferrable than fighter-flying skills.

Plus Ukraine had around 60 TB2s on order, and were in mid-delivery (having had about a third), so they likely had further pilots already in training. I'd say it is more likely that these are the further pilots.

My favourite story on this is the Austro-Hungarians who got fully functioning submarines with experienced crews in WW1 by appointing one officer to be a sort of honorary captain of German submarines they borrowed complete with crew.
  • Options
    Its pretty preposterous - even for HY - to claim the red wall won't care about this "north London Remainer" story.

Russia is the enemy. Outrage against the actions of Russia is growing - and so many red wall voters are pro defence, pro our boys and pro patriotism.

The Tories know it - hence the "LEADING THE WORLD" claim as Ukranians are barred from coming here and "more cash impounded" claim despite it being a small percentage. Being in bed with the Russians is not something they want to be tied up in.

So can the Tories explain why the Bog Dog has a direct personal relationship with a former KGB man? And overrules the objections of MI6 in the preposterous idea of elevating his son with a Peerage? Of binning off security briefings in the immediate aftermath of Russia's WMD attack in Salisbury to schmooze with the KGB man and his son?

no wonder its "nothing to see, no interest in the red wall, north london remoaners"
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,312
    rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

It was never really Polish though. It was Prussian (the original Prussians related to the Lithuanians and Latvians), then under the Teutonic Order. It then passed to the Hohenzollerns as part if Ducal Prussia. That was under Polish suzerainty for a century or but the population had been pretty much Germanized by then.
    and following the second world war it became pretty much Russian. neither Poland nor Lithuania want it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Their sums already read as thought they were computed by Diane Abbott. How would they budget for more defence spending?
    Don't worry. It's true Diane did the arithmetic but they were all checked rigorously by Priti Patel.
  • Options

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Russia wasn't defeated in 1917. In fact, it had launched a successful if costly offensive under Aleksei Brusilov only eight months before.

It was problems with the transport network causing food shortages in the cities that led to the Tsar's overthrow. And that, ironically, ultimately led to Russia's defeat and humiliation at Brest Litovsk.
  • Options
    Consider if Labour was still now being led by Corbyn and co.

Imagine the nonsense he would be spouting night after night on TV about NATO wrecking peace and perhaps Vlad has a point, and some of the Ukr are nazi, and nothing Putin does is worse than the Israeli.

Doesn't bear thinking about.

Labour would be wiped out at the local elections in May and the 2024 GE.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

There is a Parish Council by election in Buckhurst Hill on Thursday aptly enough, a Conservative candidate v a Residents' Association candidate
    Ah, Buckhurst Hill!
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=sunil060902+buckhurst&title=Special:MediaSearch&go=Go&type=image
    1892, though the original is from 1856, visible in one of the south-facing platform views.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Russia wasn't defeated in 1917. In fact, it had launched a successful if costly offensive under Aleksei Brusilov only eight months before.

It was problems with the transport network causing food shortages in the cities that led to the Tsar's overthrow. And that, ironically, ultimately led to Russia's defeat and humiliation at Brest Litovsk.
    Russia now needs to cease to exist.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Also the home of philosopher Immanuel Kant who, supposedly, never left the confines of its city limits in his entire life. Yet managed to change the world

His life was also somewhat regular

"Kant was awoken each morning at five o’clock, never later. He breakfasted on a couple of bowls of tea, then smoked a pipe, the only one of the day. On teaching days, he would go out in the morning to give his lecture, then resume his dressing-gown and slippers to work and write until precisely a quarter to one. At that point he would dress again to receive, with enjoyment, a small group of friends to discuss science, philosophy and the weather.

"There were invariably three dishes and some cheese, placed on the table – sometimes with a few desserts – along with a small carafe of wine for each guest. Conversation lasted until five o’clock.

"Then it was time for his walk. Rain or shine, it had to be taken. He went alone, for he wanted to breathe through his nose all the way, with his mouth closed, which he believed to be excellent for the body. The company of friends would have obliged him to open his mouth to speak."

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1963-immanuel-kant-the-errrr-walker#:~:text=Immanuel 'the Königsberg clock' Kant,further than the city's limits.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

There's certainly a cold headed case for breaking it into smaller countries. As there was with Germany in 1919 (and with hindsight that would have been a better option than the one the Entente powers took).

Whether that would be possible is an entirely different question.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Just under 20 million people went though the Gulag system over 3 decades. Lots of space.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,441
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

I agree and I doubt it will add to the narrative
    Just another example of how crooked and bent he is, but as there are so many examples to choose from as you say it makes little difference, he can get no lower. A lying cheating scumbag.
    On topic, Malc is spot on I think.
    What HY and Big G have missed here in saying this one thing doesn’t bring the statue down, is how shovel by shovel the foundations are being hollowed out, not by Boris opponents, but his own “I do what I like” behaviour.

Whilst red wall and all voters may see a controversial appointment to the lords or any political reward as no big deal, sadly, becoming numb to how corrupt and money mad our democracy has become, they will regard security advice saying no that blocks a prime minister, being changed to okay to enable a prime minister, as being up there with the very worst identical crimes of Blair Campbell era.

How exactly the security advice saying you can’t changed to you can, enabling Boris to continue, has to be properly looked into for the sake of UK democracy and UK security - anyone blocking this investigation is a traitor.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Also the home of philosopher Immanuel Kant who, supposedly, never left the confines of its city limits in his entire life. Yet managed to change the world

"Kant was awoken each morning at five o’clock, never later. He breakfasted on a couple of bowls of tea, then smoked a pipe, the only one of the day. On teaching days, he would go out in the morning to give his lecture, then resume his dressing-gown and slippers to work and write until precisely a quarter to one. At that point he would dress again to receive, with enjoyment, a small group of friends to discuss science, philosophy and the weather.

"There were invariably three dishes and some cheese, placed on the table – sometimes with a few desserts – along with a small carafe of wine for each guest. Conversation lasted until five o’clock.

"Then it was time for his walk. Rain or shine, it had to be taken. He went alone, for he wanted to breathe through his nose all the way, with his mouth closed, which he believed to be excellent for the body. The company of friends would have obliged him to open his mouth to speak."

https://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1963-immanuel-kant-the-errrr-walker#:~:text=Immanuel 'the Königsberg clock' Kant,further than the city's limits.
    I'm disappointed you haven't included the quote about the townspeople noting his passing by them and setting their watches by it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

There's certainly a cold headed case for breaking it into smaller countries. As there was with Germany in 1919 (and with hindsight that would have been a better option than the one the Entente powers took).

200 years of crap.

Enough. Begone!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Aslan said:

I'd say that UK and US pilots don't have experience on the particular drone - and I do not know that drone flying skills are *that* much more transferrable than fighter-flying skills.

Plus Ukraine had around 60 TB2s on order, and were in mid-delivery (having had about a third), so they likely had further pilots already in training. I'd say it is more likely that these are the further pilots.
    Isn’t one of the selling points of the TB2 that it’s supposed to be pretty easy to fly? (For professional drone pilot values of “easy” of course.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,655
    I’m enjoying the new American intelligence doctrine which seems to involve trolling Putin with a running public commentary.

https://twitter.com/ignighted/status/1500497081735204868?s=21
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Along with its nuclear arsenal.
  • Options

Aslan said:

Are their British drones? If so have we given any to Ukraine?
    Our drones would be 3 or 4 times more expensive than the ones they have.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Pro-German clique at the heart of last Tsarist government was NOT helpful to Russian war effort.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

kle4 said:

Why would Lebedev be a security risk? Are peers granted automatic access to state secrets? The House of Lords is just an impotent talking shop for has-been and never-were flatterees. It wouldn't matter if Putin himself was a member.

Yes and no. The average backbench peer (like the average backbench MP) has no access to any secrets. Some committees that they might get onto do, and certainly there is very easy access to every front-bencher including the PM - just wander along to the lobby exit when there's a vote.

This sounds possibly encouraging:
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-open-discussing-non-nato-models-negotiator-tells-fox-news-2022-03-06/

- I've always thought it'd be easier to settle on the non-issue of NATO membership than the tricky stuff about Crimea, but it shows some genuine discussion in progress. Having some NATO-like defensive guarantees that actually work (i.e. really would involve a no-fly zone) but don't involve stationing NATO missiles and troops sounds potentially acceptable to both sides.

Incidentally, I see the early reports that Visa and Mastercard are pulling out of Russia aren't quite right - they are pulling out of international transactions, but will still work for domestic ones as before. Essentially it blocks a sanctions loophole enabling oligarchs to order fur coats from Harrods using Mastercard.
    The trouble is that it was never really about Nato membership. The Kremlin wants to control Ukraine as part of its sphere of influence and the Ukrainians are desperate to avoid this. The Nato membership thing is a bit of a red herring. What it might do is give Putin some kind of 'win' if Zelenskyy has to stop going on about it. Any deal would have to provide security guarantees for Ukraine.
    Yes, I am surprised that a lot of people still play into thte idea this is just about NATO, when Putin's hour long whinges and increasingly creative discovery of new pretexts demonstrates very well it is not about that.

Asking for neutrality is also a red herring, because what would neutrality entail when lack of NATO/EU membership does not prevent it being very clear that right now, and for the forseeable future, the Ukrainian demos very much intends to look West rather than equidistant with Russia or unaligned.

It's about controlling Ukraine, directly or indirectly. Limiting its choices to those approved by Russia. Even if the best Putin can manage is to undermine it.
    Out of interest, what is the Russian view on expansion of the EU? We know they are very much against the eastwards expansion of NATO. But does the eastwards expansion of the EU cause them the same existential angst? I've no idea.
    According to my Russian relatives and their friends, the EU is seen as the economic adjunct of NATO. Sort of EU/NATO/West

The problem with memberships of either/both is not the titles, or the organisations per say - it takes any country in NATO/EU out of the power of Russia. And if you are a Greater Russian Nationalist - countries in the Near Abroad are either vassals or enemies.
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Pointless calling it off. So I call.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,315
    Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Independence for Kaliningrad! It could become the Singapore of the Baltic...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Whoever it belongs to at the moment its place in world history id secured by being the place where Kant spent the whole of his life, and is therefore the home and source of the single greatest philosophical work ever written, 'The Critique of Pure Reason'.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

I'm disappointed you haven't included the quote about the townspeople noting his passing by them and setting their watches by it.
    Aye. The "Konigsberg clock"

The great philosophers are notably eccentric, as a rule. There must be some psychological link between the ability to philosophize brilliantly, and being Deeply Odd

• Options

Michael McFaul
    @McFaul
    In the summer of 2000, I took a lot of flack for writing this sentence about Putin in the
    @JoDemocracy
    :

"Putin may turn out to be Russia's Milosevic."

As ambassador, Putin's propaganda channels looped it repeatedly in their attacks on me. In retrospect, I was too optimistic.

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1500554411629703169
  • Options

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Please don't say that. We don't want the destruction of one to cause the lack of existence of the other. It could be done in ways that are unfortunate...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

It's entirely possible. I think the history of decolonization shows it is very hard to bring two countries back together once they have been established as separate states. The forces of a new state apparatus in each become too powerful.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Just another example of how crooked and bent he is, but as there are so many examples to choose from as you say it makes little difference, he can get no lower. A lying cheating scumbag.
    What HY and Big G have missed here in saying this one thing doesn’t bring the statue down, is how shovel by shovel the foundations are being hollowed out, not by Boris opponents, but his own “I do what I like” behaviour.

Whilst red wall and all voters may see a controversial appointment to the lords or any political reward as no big deal, sadly, becoming numb to how corrupt and money mad our democracy has become, they will regard security advice saying no that blocks a prime minister, being changed to okay to enable a prime minister, as being up there with the very worst identical crimes of Blair Campbell era.

How exactly the security advice saying you can’t changed to you can, enabling Boris to continue, has to be properly looked into for the sake of UK democracy and UK security - anyone blocking this investigation is a traitor.
    Exactly. The point in the security services is that they ask the questions that politicians don't. Boris was bezzies - literally skipped the Skipal security briefing to go see them as a friend. A proposal is made for ennoblement. "You can't do that Prime Minister" says MI6, and then they explain why.

That they were overruled and their concerns reversed is seriously concerning. What other security reports have been swept aside and reversed by Big Dog in favour of other ex KGB agents their friends and family members?
  • Options
    When Putin dies, I hope soon, I also hope they'll fit out his grave with trampolines.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Aslan said:

My favourite story on this is the Austro-Hungarians who got fully functioning submarines with experienced crews in WW1 by appointing one officer to be a sort of honorary captain of German submarines they borrowed complete with crew.
    It’s not a drone purchased by UK or US militaries, although it’s clearly a brilliant piece of gap-finding in current airbourne capabilities that both countries should consider buying (and maybe donating or lending to Ukraine).

Getting a TB2 ‘type rating’ for an existing Western drone pilot should be pretty straightforward though, it’s a much simpler, slower and lower aircraft, which of course brings its own advantages and disadvantages in theatre.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    On topic: interesting the parallel between this and oartygate.

Boris taking a broadly acceptable line in public that could end up very out of whack with what has been and is being done in private. And perhaps this will take a while and require a very specific, as yet unknown or sottovoce, revelation to catch the public imagination.

And if he thinks taking the piss out of your granny dying got him into a spot of hot water, that is as nothing if he keeps on trying to get away with it, post invasion, with Russian influence.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

I believe it had a fair bit of Polish immigration during industrialization. And it was Polish for a little while. Given the geographical continuity it makes sense to be either Polish or Lithuanian. Or maybe give it independence and admit to the EU.
  • Options
    Mind=boggling (and non gory) footage of the devastation in Kharkiv

https://twitter.com/tpyxaTV/status/1500560296687063042?s=20&t=pUPNHikZZeSTVFOkcO_ONQ

There is plenty of gory stuff to be found, as well. Hideous
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Good point it isn't precise but I doubt they were doing great if they ended up suing for peace. My point is that with a decimated military, no money and an autocrat in decline the country starts to look very vulnerable. It cost them a lot to deal with rebels in Chechnya. But that's one of the smallest republics.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Aslan said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

It's entirely possible. I think the history of decolonization shows it is very hard to bring two countries back together once they have been established as separate states. The forces of a new state apparatus in each become too powerful.
    What to do with the nukes?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,043
    EXCL: The government’s appointments watchdog has launched an investigation into how a public role was filled amid evidence the Tory Party interfered to secure it for a donor

William Shawcross has been probing Big Lottery Fund chairmanship since last month
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/94b718de-9d27-11ec-a401-6c0b998e6c9b?shareToken=6152d3057ec4d756da101546ec3b4e97

Leaked emails show CCHQ official said Mohamed Amersi should “at least” be considered for role. Official who works with govt appointments team said they’d ensure he got progress he “deserves”

Amersi says he didn’t expect or want such assistance, says it’s“access capitalism”
  • Options
    My grandfather always said Konigsberg should have been given to the Jews post-war, as an alternative to Israel.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Aslan said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

What to do with the nukes?
    Remove them, as was done with Ukraine.
  • Options
    Also mind boggling. Unarmed Ukrainian protestors, facing up to Russian soldiers very definitely firing guns

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1500560137962020867?s=20&t=pUPNHikZZeSTVFOkcO_ONQ

Russia is earning the hatred of half the world
  • Options
    Leon said:

Mind=boggling (and non gory) footage of the devastation in Kharkiv

https://twitter.com/tpyxaTV/status/1500560296687063042?s=20&t=pUPNHikZZeSTVFOkcO_ONQ

There is plenty of gory stuff to be found, as well. Hideous

Utter madness.

Sickening.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Omnium said:

When Putin dies, I hope soon, I also hope they'll fit out his grave with trampolines.

One will be installed on Rogozin's grave first - as a prototype?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Your lips to God's ears....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Ah, Buckhurst Hill!
    I wonder how many people who only use Zone 1 realise that places like Buckhurst Hill and Roding Valley are also part of the tube?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    MattW said:

Aslan said:

Just under 20 million people went though the Gulag system over 3 decades. Lots of space.
    And that was just on Gordon Browns watch
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Aslan said:

It’s not a drone purchased by UK or US militaries, although it’s clearly a brilliant piece of gap-finding in current airbourne capabilities that both countries should consider buying (and maybe donating or lending to Ukraine).

Getting a TB2 ‘type rating’ for an existing Western drone pilot should be pretty straightforward though, it’s a much simpler, slower and lower aircraft, which of course brings its own advantages and disadvantages in theatre.
    The TB2 seems to be the drone equivalent of the NLAW (and vice versa). Much simpler and cheaper than the pricey, superior but harder-to-use alternatives. Kind of like the Kalashnikov or the T34?

Some weapons are far better for being relatively basic
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Good point it isn't precise but I doubt they were doing great if they ended up suing for peace. My point is that with a decimated military, no money and an autocrat in decline the country starts to look very vulnerable. It cost them a lot to deal with rebels in Chechnya. But that's one of the smallest republics.
    Well, they weren't by 1918. But the situation had changed by then. Something to do with two revolutions and a civil war.

Even so, Trotsky refused to sign the peace treaty at first as the Germans wanted too much. Lenin had to order him to go back in and sign regardless of the cost.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Another interesting thread would be about the effect of the Ukraine crisis, and its attendant effects on energy supply and prices, on the prospects for the Greens.
  • Options

Omnium said:

Your lips to God's ears....
    Just this once I'm prepared to risk it.

(I'm an atheist, and as such good and bad are a tricky and long story.)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

TimT said:

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

Civil war in Russia could easily turn into a giant version of the Bosnian war. With nukes.
  • Options
    philiph said:

MattW said:

Aslan said:

And that was just on Gordon Browns watch
    That's a lot of slags.....
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Ah, Buckhurst Hill!
    I wonder how many people who only use Zone 1 realise that places like Buckhurst Hill and Roding Valley are also part of the tube?
    My "local" is Gants Hill.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Kant lived with his mum and kept poodles.

There is no such thing as happiness, a poodle dies, you get another poodle, life goes on.

Not a whole lot different than Buddhism, if you could swap Buddhas for poodles.

My Nan had a neighbour who had a poodle that was a fat bastard.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

Kant lived with his mum and kept poodles.

There is no such thing as happiness, a poodle dies, you get another poodle, life goes on.

Not a whole lot different than Buddhism, if you could swap Buddhas for poodles.

My Nan had a neighbour who had a poodle that was a fat bastard.

Hope this helps.
    Keep em coming
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited March 2022
    I suspect that after this war is over, Russia will be short of cash and supplies whereas Ukraine will be rebuilt with western money and re-equipped with western weapons.

In 5 or 10 years, Ukraine will make Russia look like a shabby dump by comparison
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    DougSeal said:

More congenial than pondering security & other implications of Boris-Lebedev-Putin nexis?
  • Options
    Dead Russians. I know it's unpleasant, and it tears my soul. Nonetheless it's what we need.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,043
    Exclusive: PricewaterhouseCoopers is to separate its Russian firm from the rest of its global network in a move affecting 3700 partners and staff in the country. It's arguably the most significant example so far of a global multinational exiting Russia. Full story up soon.
    https://twitter.com/MarkKleinmanSky/status/1500567129703256070
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

It was a Polish possession from 1454 to 1455, and then a Polish "fief" from 1466 to 1657.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rpjs said:

Aslan said:

Visegrád 24
    @visegrad24
    ·
    1h

"a small carafe of wine for each guest"

Small?

I doubt you would be attending too often @Leon! :smile:
  • Options
    Remarkable thread, explaining how many Russians remain in total denial of what their country is doing, even when their own relatives in Ukraine send photos and videos. A brainwashed nation.

"Across Ukraine, I have been meeting people w close relatives in Russia who refuse to believe the extent of the violence their state is perpetrating.
    Cities suffer missile attacks, mothers fear for sons, but fathers, sisters, brothers respond w denial. 🧵"

https://twitter.com/VALERIEinNYT/status/1500549198701383684?s=20&t=2NrFl5njY4el2qrD7hJbQw
  • Options

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Exactly. The point in the security services is that they ask the questions that politicians don't. Boris was bezzies - literally skipped the Skipal security briefing to go see them as a friend. A proposal is made for ennoblement. "You can't do that Prime Minister" says MI6, and then they explain why.

That they were overruled and their concerns reversed is seriously concerning. What other security reports have been swept aside and reversed by Big Dog in favour of other ex KGB agents their friends and family members?
    Why stop at KGB agents? There’s other belligerents out there. In fact security agencies have to be careful our money guzzling leaders aren’t too groomed by so called currently friendly agencies too.
This discussion has been closed.