Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Lebedev peerage affair looks set to halt the Johnson recovery – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230

HYUFD said:

Yes, I am sure what is on the lips of every voter in the key swing seats of the Redwall is that Lebedev got a peerage, nothing impacts on their daily lives more!

In reality of course this is mainly a North London, Islington set issue, especially given Lebedev has already denounced Putin anyway.

Note too Lebedev has given a lot of support to homeless charities, he is more worthy of a peerage than many

Bit dangerous speaking up for Russians at the moment.
    Are you suggesting every Russian is malign ?
    It's hard to imagine any must-millionnaire has emerged out of Russia with clean hands. Just running any sort of business is impossible without greasing the wheel. Sports/film stars excepted possibly.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,062
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ON topic. The "World of Stonehenge" Exhibition at the British Museum is mind-spiningly good. Almost too much to take in. A superb haul of astonishing treasures. THE NEBRA SKY DISC

If you get a chance, GO. We will not see its like again. It is one of THOSE shows

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/feb/15/the-world-of-stonehenge-review-british-museum

"This is an exceptional exhibition, of the sort that leaves you almost bewildered at how much has been brought together into one large space at the same time. It truly is up there with the big blockbuster exhibitions of the sort that you remember for the rest of your life."

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/british-museums-stonehenge-exhibition-is-eye-poppingly-wonderful-51964/

It didn’t excite me, although I fully agree that the sky disc was the standout exhibit
    It.... didn't excite you?

Jesus. What would it take to excite you?

It has 10,000 year old shamanic antler head dresses, enormous gold hats from France and Ireland, the gory remains of Europe's earliest battlefield, a 5000 year old chalk drum dedicated to three buried and hugging children, and it ends with William Blake etchings. It is incredible

The chalk drum alone is worth the entry money. Never exhibited before.

"The ‘Most Important’ Prehistoric Artwork to Be Discovered in the U.K. in a Century Is Finally Going on Public View at the British Museum"

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ancient-chalk-drum-discovery-2071538

What does it lack? Stampeding dinosaurs?
    I went on the first day so it was very crowded. And prehistoric isn’t really a period that excites me to be honest as I struggle to feel much connection
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330

Leon said:

ON topic. The "World of Stonehenge" Exhibition at the British Museum is mind-spiningly good. Almost too much to take in. A superb haul of astonishing treasures. THE NEBRA SKY DISC

If you get a chance, GO. We will not see its like again. It is one of THOSE shows

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/feb/15/the-world-of-stonehenge-review-british-museum

"This is an exceptional exhibition, of the sort that leaves you almost bewildered at how much has been brought together into one large space at the same time. It truly is up there with the big blockbuster exhibitions of the sort that you remember for the rest of your life."

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/articles/british-museums-stonehenge-exhibition-is-eye-poppingly-wonderful-51964/

Stonehenge is BACK!
    You betcha

"'Boomerang’ effect as young people pour back into London"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-population-increase-covid-pandemic-young-people-return-b982590.html

You can actually feel this on the streets. Suddenly everyone is back, but they seem to be five years younger than they were, this of course has nothing to do with me being considerably older

Good news for the UK economy, anyroad
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1500475577383497731
    "Get familiar with #Transnistria

You will soon be hearing a lot more about it"

Rubio signalling that US Int believes that Russia are going to start doing things from Transnistria?

Rubio has been all over the news here in the US - he's been the Republican face of "Putin is evil, we must stand with the Ukrainians".

I wonder if he's mulling another bid? If Trump were to get badly tarnished by the whole Putin thing, he could be an obvious beneficiary.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    HYUFD said:

Yes, I am sure what is on the lips of every voter in the key swing seats of the Redwall is that Lebedev got a peerage, nothing impacts on their daily lives more!

In reality of course this is mainly a North London, Islington set issue, especially given Lebedev has already denounced Putin anyway.

Note too Lebedev has given a lot of support to homeless charities, he is more worthy of a peerage than many

Have there ever been two finer examples of the charitable spirit?

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stonehenge is BACK!
    You betcha

"'Boomerang’ effect as young people pour back into London"

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-population-increase-covid-pandemic-young-people-return-b982590.html

You can actually feel this on the streets. Suddenly everyone is back, but they seem to be five years younger than they were, this of course has nothing to do with me being considerably older

Good news for the UK economy, anyroad
    It's odd and uncomfortable though. I've lived in London all my life. I want the Londeners back.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,329
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?
    Er...yes. When he talked about the Ullapool to Inverness ferry, for a start.
    You haven't been invited on a cruise on that one yet?
    Maybe if you gave more to the homeless you'd be allowed on for a summer sailing.
    Last time I went on a cruise in Scotland it was from Fort William to Inverness, but we went via Fort Augustus not Ullapool.

I also cycled quite a lot of the way, although I chickened out of cycling along Loch Ness to Inverness. It looked on the steep side.

The trail by Loch Lochy was great though, and I actually made it all round the loch. This had nothing to do with the fact that I wasn't sure where the turning was and went straight past it...
    From memory, the road along Loch Ness only has a couple of steep bits, maybe at Drumnadrochit and Invermoriston. There certainly are worse roads for cycling in Scotland!

That said, I'd never attempt to cycle the A82. It's a toxic mix of tourists looking for Nessie instead of looking where they're driving, and impatient locals overtaking round blind corners. I don't even like driving it.
    There's another road on the Foyers side that cyclists use. I think it was the main road before they built the A82. But like I say, it looked steep.

Also, frankly, I fancied sailing along Loch Ness.
    We hired a cruiser twice on Loch Ness and travelled the length of the Caledonian canal

Fort Augustus with its flight of locks is fabulous and though we had fish finders on board we didn't find Nessie

Mind you my late father in law and his brothers traversed the canal many times when they went to fish in Ireland
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759
    edited March 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?
    Maybe if you gave more to the homeless you'd be allowed on for a summer sailing.
    Last time I went on a cruise in Scotland it was from Fort William to Inverness, but we went via Fort Augustus not Ullapool.

I also cycled quite a lot of the way, although I chickened out of cycling along Loch Ness to Inverness. It looked on the steep side.

The trail by Loch Lochy was great though, and I actually made it all round the loch. This had nothing to do with the fact that I wasn't sure where the turning was and went straight past it...
    From memory, the road along Loch Ness only has a couple of steep bits, maybe at Drumnadrochit and Invermoriston. There certainly are worse roads for cycling in Scotland!

That said, I'd never attempt to cycle the A82. It's a toxic mix of tourists looking for Nessie instead of looking where they're driving, and impatient locals overtaking round blind corners. I don't even like driving it.
    I wouldn't mind riding from Braemore to Ullapool as long as I didn't have to ride up there in the first place. A good way to check if the brakes are working.
    I'd go the other way, from Braemore head west to Gairloch.
    Certainly more scenic. I'm very fond of that neck of the woods - Anthrax Island and Inverewe Garden especially. And I see a Russian Arctic Convoy Exhibition has sprung up at Aultbea since I was last there. Hope they have a good season this year...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303

ydoethur said:

I see there was far too much anti banker sentiment on the last thread, truly shameful.

Alongside anti privately educated bigotry, these are the last two acceptable bigotries.

Bankers are the lifeblood of the economy, pensioners in particular, would struggle without our contribution to the exchequer and the management of your pensions.

I've spent today working to ensure Mr Putin and his minions are financially castrated, I deserve at least a peerage for my work for the greater good.

Shall we have a chat about banking lawyers? :)
    Ah, they truly are the noblest of the noblest.

Things are so stressful at work I am yet to see The Batman. Might go for the 8pm showing tonight,

Should be home for midnight.
    You can swap with me if you like.
    It feels like I'm on minimum wage at the moment, based on the hours I'm working.
    Minimum wage? I dream of working for minimum wage. If petrol goes any higher, I'll be paying to go to work.

(Without milk or sugar. Or tea.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

HYUFD said:

I give a monthly amount to Centrepoint homeless charity.
    And I frequently comment on PB, a distinguished global discussion forum for the great and the good (and some others).
    And I dedicated my life to working in the public sector, for the greater good.

Can I have a peerage please? Thanks.
    You need to be a bit more focused with your charitable donations. Think of our poor, underfunded political parties who need your help.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    AMEX suspends Russian service - in Russia and globally for any Russia issued cards
  • Options

AMEX suspends Russian service - in Russia and globally for any Russia issued cards

Are they going to have any financial system left?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

It didn’t excite me, although I fully agree that the sky disc was the standout exhibit

It has 10,000 year old shamanic antler head dresses, enormous gold hats from France and Ireland, the gory remains of Europe's earliest battlefield, a 5000 year old chalk drum dedicated to three buried and hugging children, and it ends with William Blake etchings. It is incredible

"The ‘Most Important’ Prehistoric Artwork to Be Discovered in the U.K. in a Century Is Finally Going on Public View at the British Museum"

I went on the first day so it was very crowded. And prehistoric isn’t really a period that excites me to be honest as I struggle to feel much connection
    Fair enough. I adore a mystery. and love history, so mysterious history is catnip for me.

One of the most amazing things in the show (of many many amazing things) is the burial of a shaman, who was interred with a flint axe which was ALREADY 1000 years old when the druid guy died. Did he just get lucky and find it, or was it handed down over a hundred generations?!

And the 8000 year old skeleton and bone-dress of he German shamanic woman, with the weird deformations of her skull, which would have given her convulsions, leading to trance states...

And the Irish mace head from Knowth. And the 6000 year old elm leaf. And ALL of Seahenge. And the cauldron from the Thames. And the cape made entirely of gold. And and and
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited March 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Rubio signalling that US Int believes that Russia are going to start doing things from Transnistria?

Rubio has been all over the news here in the US - he's been the Republican face of "Putin is evil, we must stand with the Ukrainians".

I wonder if he's mulling another bid? If Trump were to get badly tarnished by the whole Putin thing, he could be an obvious beneficiary.
    Chubby Ted otoh is keeping quiet and hoping no one remembers him wanking over tough Russian soldiers*.

*Not literally.
    **Probably.

• Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

They can't be far off being back to a bartering system now, surely.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?
    Very often, though his skepticism on this one is probably not as far off the mark as sone.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

Chubby Ted otoh is keeping quiet and hoping no one remembers him wanking over tough Russian soldiers*.

*Not literally.
    **Probably.

No one seems to like Ted Cruz - it's not like he's an authentic Trumper either, though he kissed the ring like all the others - so surprised he's not been successfully primaried.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

If you self-identified as a beaker person, like Dr Foxy and I, it would seem more relevant. Getting on with my arriviste Welsh neighbours was often a trial but I usually succeeded.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

And I frequently comment on PB, a distinguished global discussion forum for the great and the good (and some others).

You need to be a bit more focused with your charitable donations. Think of our poor, underfunded political parties who need your help.
    But the Liberal Democrats can't nominate many peers these days.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    Chameleon said:

Or Moldova see an opportunity in a moment of weakness for Russia to end the Russian occupation.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Or Moldova see an opportunity in a moment of weakness for Russia to end the Russian occupation.
    I wonder if Georgia might get the same idea over South Ossetia?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well the Tories are pretty open about their 'donate several million and you get a peerage' policy, so if you don't have that much to give really that is your own fault. If you didn't want to be ignored why did you not become a millionaire or be born with money?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Fair enough. I adore a mystery. and love history, so mysterious history is catnip for me.

One of the most amazing things in the show (of many many amazing things) is the burial of a shaman, who was interred with a flint axe which was ALREADY 1000 years old when the druid guy died. Did he just get lucky and find it, or was it handed down over a hundred generations?!

And the 8000 year old skeleton and bone-dress of he German shamanic woman, with the weird deformations of her skull, which would have given her convulsions, leading to trance states...

And the Irish mace head from Knowth. And the 6000 year old elm leaf. And ALL of Seahenge. And the cauldron from the Thames. And the cape made entirely of gold. And and and
    The German shamaness and Seahenge were fun. The flint axe slightly irritated me as they made such a big thing about the trade route to Europe
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Well the Tories are pretty open about their 'donate several million and you get a peerage' policy, so if you don't have that much to give really that is your own fault. If you didn't want to be ignored why did you not become a millionaire or be born with money?
    Damn, knew I'd got something wrong.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Would be nice, but losing their satellites seems like the sort of thing Putin really would nuke over. the crazy fool. Do they have the confidence and international support to launch assaults of their own, with the Russians playing the defenders? (notwithstanding Russia invaded or backed the separatist areas in the first place).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Of course the first PM to offer peerages for cash was not a Tory but a Liberal, Lloyd-George
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Does anyone think Rubio is on the receiving end of US intelligence (in either sense of the word)?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?

There's another road on the Foyers side that cyclists use. I think it was the main road before they built the A82. But like I say, it looked steep.

The Great Glen Way along the northern bank of the loch is officially cyclable. I walked it a few years back (I've done some parts twice), and a mate cycled it pre-Covid. There are some steep bits, but the most annoying this is that the views over the loch were too often spoiled by forestry.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Chameleon said:

Does anyone think Rubio is on the receiving end of US intelligence (in either sense of the word)?
    He is Gang of Eight
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Of course the first PM to offer peerages for cash was not a Tory but a Liberal, Lloyd-George
    Yes, quite some time ago. It's one of those things that is wrong no matter who does it, and no matter if someone else was even more brazen.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    edited March 2022

Chameleon said:

If Transnistria could be "demilitarised", it would be the first tangible strategic defeat for Russia as a result of their invasion of Ukraine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

*Not literally.
    **Probably.

No one seems to like Ted Cruz - it's not like he's an authentic Trumper either, though he kissed the ring like all the others - so surprised he's not been successfully primaried.
    Cruz was relatively loyal to Trump in January 2020 and tried to block Biden's election even if he condemned the insurrection
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,234
    ydoethur said:

Well nature and finance abhors a vacuum, but it will be many months before Wechat/Wepay can cover things and with no forex coming in, even the Chinese are not going to be in love with Roubles either. The Russiand have transferred what they coul in Yuan, but that creates its own problems and the Chinese are walking carefully. I think even Beijing has been shocked by how outraged the West is about this,
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

The first PM to offer peerages for cash was Robert Walpole.

Lloyd George was actually not the first but the last to do so openly before it was banned in 1925.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?

I wouldn't mind riding from Braemore to Ullapool as long as I didn't have to ride up there in the first place. A good way to check if the brakes are working.
    I'd go the other way, from Braemore head west to Gairloch.
    Certainly more scenic. I'm very fond of that neck of the woods - Anthrax Island and Inverewe Garden especially. And I see a Russian Arctic Convoy Exhibition has sprung up at Aultbea since I was last there. Hope they have a good season this year...
    Going off on a tangent, on some of those areas you get weird trig pillars. Cylindrical official Ordnance Survey ones (?Vanessa Pillars?) and 'traditional' trapezoid ones without flush brackets. The latter really confused me when I frst found them; it turns out they were built by the admiralty.

I love trig pillars.

Yes, I'm that sad.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Why aren't we hearing much about the Russian attack from the east into Kiev. We know about the convoy to the north but how close is the one to the east?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yes, China's UnionPay is going to step in and fill the breach caused by Visa, Mastercard, and AMEX.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The German shamaness and Seahenge were fun. The flint axe slightly irritated me as they made such a big thing about the trade route to Europe
    The crowds did faintly annoy me, at times, but I don't know how you can have an epic, sell out, 5 star, blockbuster exhibition without crowds. Oh to have four hours there alone. Apparently the exhibition took TEN YEARS to organise.

I will remember it for many years myself. And afterwards I took my older daughter for oysters and bouillabaisse at Fishworks by the Opera House. A perfect day in a bustling London. Sweet

• Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Lloyd George was actually not the first but the last to do so openly before it was banned in 1925.
    Well Walpole was also a Whig, a party from which the Liberals ultimately emerged, not a Tory either
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

*Not literally.
    **Probably.

Cruz was relatively loyal to Trump in January 2020 and tried to block Biden's election even if he condemned the insurrection
    I was thinking more about how Trump tore him to shreds in the primaries, and he lashed out at Trump, then pathetically bent the knee.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    TikTok no longer works in Russia because of the law about spreading "fake" information about the war in Ukraine.
  • Options
    FWIW Mastercard and VISA say their cards issued by Russian banks will continue to work in Russia until their expiry date.

I suspect it will be the luck of the draw, if your card expires at the end of March 2022 then you're buggered, if you've got a card that expires in February 2027 you'll be fine.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

He’s on the Senate Intelligence Committee (or whatever they call it)
  • Options

TikTok no longer works in Russia because of the law about spreading "fake" information about the war in Ukraine.

So that's porn and TikTok not working properly in Russia, the youth of Russia will topple Putin within days.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,234
    ydoethur said:

On topic, are we surprised that someone called BORIS is doing the bidding of Russia?

He truly is Britain Trump.

He's Boris, but he's not Gudenov for us.
    One of the best Private Eye Boobs was an advert for a performance of the magnificent opera Doris Gudenov.
  • Options
    Only national flag I can see at the stop the war coalition is the Soviet one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

*Not literally.
    **Probably.

I was thinking more about how Trump tore him to shreds in the primaries, and he lashed out at Trump, then pathetically bent the knee.
    On some issues Cruz is actually right of Trump, he is more of a social conservative for example.

However he knows for the moment he cannot be too anti Trump given his hold on the party
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Yet again demonstrating your knowledge of history over @HYUFD
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

If Boris wishes to be a long time PM perhaps Walpole would be more his speed. Truly a man of personal integrity.
  • Options
    You know you're on pb.com when the conversation turns to Walpole.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Chameleon said:

*Not literally.
    **Probably.

On some issues Cruz is actually right of Trump, he is more of a social conservative for example.

However he knows for the moment he cannot be too anti Trump given his hold on the party
    There's toning down the criticism because Trump has a hold on the party, and then there's reducing himself to stumping for him despite the opinion he'd expressed about him.
  • Options
    Melenchon was out campaigning today on a platform of pulling France out of NATO...

https://twitter.com/JLMelenchon/status/1500490039473618951
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Chameleon said:

Yes, the US IC is legally required to brief the House and Senate Intelligence Committees about major operations. They are the few people outside the Oval Office who get briefed on things like Operation Neptune (killing Osama bin Laden).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    edited March 2022

Why would Lebedev be a security risk? Are peers granted automatic access to state secrets? The House of Lords is just an impotent talking shop for has-been and never-were flatterees. It wouldn't matter if Putin himself was a member.

Yes and no. The average backbench peer (like the average backbench MP) has no access to any secrets. Some committees that they might get onto do, and certainly there is very easy access to every front-bencher including the PM - just wander along to the lobby exit when there's a vote.

This sounds possibly encouraging:
    https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-open-discussing-non-nato-models-negotiator-tells-fox-news-2022-03-06/

- I've always thought it'd be easier to settle on the non-issue of NATO membership than the tricky stuff about Crimea, but it shows some genuine discussion in progress. Having some NATO-like defensive guarantees that actually work (i.e. really would involve a no-fly zone) but don't involve stationing NATO missiles and troops sounds potentially acceptable to both sides.

Incidentally, I see the early reports that Visa and Mastercard are pulling out of Russia aren't quite right - they are pulling out of international transactions, but will still work for domestic ones as before. Essentially it blocks a sanctions loophole enabling oligarchs to order fur coats from Harrods using Mastercard.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Big antiwar protests across Russia:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/6/detentions-across-russia-anti-war-protests-monitor

56 cities already. As the economic pain hits, these are likely to ramp up further.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He's read the literature.
    In this case, John Ramsden's The Longman History of the Conservative Party: The Age of Balfour and Baldwin.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,997
    Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

One for the PB brains trust... I noticed when I was driving yesterday that the difference between unleaded and diesel prices is now huge - in many places 10p per litre or even more - when for years it's rarely been above 2p per litre.

Is there any logical reason this would have happened?

Earlier this week is was a penny per litre different round here, so not quite sure what's going round your way.
    Yeah, it was still around a penny per litre on Tuesday (the previous time I drove) but by yesterday other than Tesco (3p) the difference was 10p+ everywhere.
    Is there a shortage of diesel? Local Morrisons had none this afternoon.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    HYUFD said:

Unpopular said:

HYUFD said:

Of course, because Redwall voters can't think beyond anything but their tedious, immediate concerns, in between bouts of football fueled domestic violence. Trouble at Mill, heating their damp hovels and bashing brown immigrants are the only thoughts they're capable of articulating, if you can understand their lowbrow way of talking. The idea those thickos in the North might take a view on whether their Prime Minister is corrupt and may have invited a security risk into the legislature is patently absurd!

Why, I bet they can't even spell legislature!
    Except you sound more like the very North London Remainer I was talking about than the average Tory now
    You are a Remainer. You voted Remain.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Would be nice, but losing their satellites seems like the sort of thing Putin really would nuke over. the crazy fool. Do they have the confidence and international support to launch assaults of their own, with the Russians playing the defenders? (notwithstanding Russia invaded or backed the separatist areas in the first place).
    Yes, if Russia was fighting three ex-Soviet republics all at once - and losing - then they might start to feel a bit panicky in the Kremlin, and that's risky.

But for Moldova and Georgia, are they ever going to have a better opportunity?

I've no idea what state their militaries are in. They might still be of the calibre that the Russians can beat up on.

I did find it interesting that Georgia and Moldova submitted EU membership applications on the same day. Might be some coordination there.
  • Options

Melenchon was out campaigning today on a platform of pulling France out of NATO...

Je propose la sortie de l'OTAN, organisation inutile qui provoque des tensions un peu partout.

Je propose que nous construisions, nous Français, des alliances altermondialistes. Des alliances qui partent de la nécessité de l'intérêt général humain.

I can't read French, but even I can see the first line is probably saying to exit (sortie) NATO because it 'provokes' tensions. Classic Putinist talk.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

Yes, if Russia was fighting three ex-Soviet republics all at once - and losing - then they might start to feel a bit panicky in the Kremlin, and that's risky.

But for Moldova and Georgia, are they ever going to have a better opportunity?

I've no idea what state their militaries are in. They might still be of the calibre that the Russians can beat up on.

I did find it interesting that Georgia and Moldova submitted EU membership applications on the same day. Might be some coordination there.
    That is an interesting point. It probably is their best opportunity to regain them, but these things do take time.
  • Options

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

One for the PB brains trust... I noticed when I was driving yesterday that the difference between unleaded and diesel prices is now huge - in many places 10p per litre or even more - when for years it's rarely been above 2p per litre.

Earlier this week is was a penny per litre different round here, so not quite sure what's going round your way.
    Yeah, it was still around a penny per litre on Tuesday (the previous time I drove) but by yesterday other than Tesco (3p) the difference was 10p+ everywhere.
    I would guess panic buying before the price climbs higher still.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited March 2022
    kle4 said:

Je propose la sortie de l'OTAN, organisation inutile qui provoque des tensions un peu partout.

Je propose que nous construisions, nous Français, des alliances altermondialistes. Des alliances qui partent de la nécessité de l'intérêt général humain.

I can't read French, but even I can see the first line is probably saying to exit (sortie) NATO because it 'provokes' tensions. Classic Putinist talk.
    He wants to exit NATO and form anti globalisation alliances (oh the irony of the latter, global anti globalisation alliances.)
  • Options

Why would Lebedev be a security risk? Are peers granted automatic access to state secrets? The House of Lords is just an impotent talking shop for has-been and never-were flatterees. It wouldn't matter if Putin himself was a member.

Yes and no. The average backbench peer (like the average backbench MP) has no access to any secrets. Some committees that they might get onto do, and certainly there is very easy access to every front-bencher including the PM - just wander along to the lobby exit when there's a vote.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-open-discussing-non-nato-models-negotiator-tells-fox-news-2022-03-06/

- I've always thought it'd be easier to settle on the non-issue of NATO membership than the tricky stuff about Crimea, but it shows some genuine discussion in progress. Having some NATO-like defensive guarantees that actually work (i.e. really would involve a no-fly zone) but don't involve stationing NATO missiles and troops sounds potentially acceptable to both sides.

Incidentally, I see the early reports that Visa and Mastercard are pulling out of Russia aren't quite right - they are pulling out of international transactions, but will still work for domestic ones as before. Essentially it blocks a sanctions loophole enabling oligarchs to order fur coats from Harrods using Mastercard.
    The trouble is that it was never really about Nato membership. The Kremlin wants to control Ukraine as part of its sphere of influence and the Ukrainians are desperate to avoid this. The Nato membership thing is a bit of a red herring. What it might do is give Putin some kind of 'win' if Zelenskyy has to stop going on about it. Any deal would have to provide security guarantees for Ukraine.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Melenchon is now even more pro Putin than Le Pen and Zemmour it seems.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,611
    HYUFD said:

Certainly Lebedev is EXTREMELY worthy of being put into the House of Lords - by YOUR Prime Minister.

• Options

kle4 said:

He wants to exit NATO and form an anti globalisation alliances (oh the irony of the latter, a global anti globalisation alliance.)
    These folks don't do irony, although they do try to steal elections,
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Aslan said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2022/3/6/detentions-across-russia-anti-war-protests-monitor

56 cities already. As the economic pain hits, these are likely to ramp up further.

You do wonder at the mindset of the cops who haul people off for protesting. I wonder what % are just doing it because it's a job, and what % are doing it because they're Russian HYUFDs.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

You know you're on pb.com when the conversation turns to Walpole.

I called a company the other day to be answered by someone with an Australian accent. The person I wanted to speak to wasn't there so she said to email her and she'd pass it on. The person who answered the phone was called (surname) Asquith, she was surprised when I said as in the politician and said it was a relation.

Now that, gentlemen, is how I roll.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Any day now I expect to see a headline on this site reading something like "Kiev falls - will this make it harder for the Conservatives to keep control of Flittering Parish Council?"

With a response from HYUFD explaining why the Conservatives would win 63.8% of the votes if Kiev doesn’t fall, but would still win 62.7% of the votes even if Kiev fell, and that the opposition had their chance in 2014, so won’t be allowed to run the council even if they won.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He's read the literature.
    But has he researched the original source material in the archives?
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

Possibly, but I can't see why that would apply to diesel more than unleaded.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    Aslan said:

Speaking about showing solidarity with Ukraine the BBC on MOTD had its possession stats in yellow and blue indicating presumably support for Ukraine. Is the BBC allowed to show such support I wonder.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

If the price is rising faster, maybe people are more unnerved by it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Aslan said:

Plucky...very plucky. May their numbers multiply exponentially.
  • Options

Chris said:

Any day now I expect to see a headline on this site reading something like "Kiev falls - will this make it harder for the Conservatives to keep control of Flittering Parish Council?"

With a response from HYUFD explaining why the Conservatives would win 63.8% of the votes if Kiev doesn’t fall, but would still win 62.7% of the votes even if Kiev fell, and that the opposition had their chance in 2014, so won’t be allowed to run the council even if they won.
    If I had the time, once of the pieces I was planning to publish this week was.

Why Vladimir Putin is bad for Scottish Nationalism.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

He wants to exit NATO and form an anti globalisation alliances (oh the irony of the latter, a global anti globalisation alliance.)
    These folks don't do irony, although they do try to steal elections,
    They may not do irony, but even my French is good enough to see that they DO do redundancy.
  • Options

Chris said:

There is a Parish Council by election in Buckhurst Hill on Thursday aptly enough, a Conservative candidate v a Residents' Association candidate
  • Options

kle4 said:

(oh the irony of the latter, global anti globalisation alliances.)
    Gods, it's like when ethno-nationalists form alliances with other ethno-nationalists.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

There is a Parish Council by election in Buckhurst Hill on Thursday aptly enough, a Conservative candidate v a Residents' Association candidate
    Which one is for a no-fly zone?
  • Options
    Do the Russians release figures for the number of people being arrested? I wouldn't have thought they would want to be honest about it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Could you be more wrong?

Plus it’s mostly single track with a big caravan site halfway along. Motorhomes and caravans coming the other way, driven by southerners who can’t deal with single track roads and don’t understand the concept of passing places.
  • Options
    Robert Walpole was of course a Whig. Meaning among other things that he was NOT in the pay of a foreign tyranny (in this case France) which of course was one of the hallmarks of Lord Bolingbroke's Tories during that period of history.

Just as receiving much money from a foreign tyranny (in this case Russia) is emerging as a hallmark of Boris Johnson's Conservatives during THIS period.

Facts is facts - that's history for you!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    Aslan said:

This is true courage.
    Quite humbling.
    But will it make any difference? If a regime only cares about being feared, and doesn't really care whether it is loved or not, do protests ever have any effect?
    They did in Romania, I suppose. But not in Tiananmen Square.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

An example of the "history" that "true" Conservatives demand be taught in school?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,793

Do the Russians release figures for the number of people being arrested? I wouldn't have thought they would want to be honest about it.

Russians and honesty - wildly incompatible. I met a Russian once that I trusted. Never again. (The great bulk of Russians are of course just people, and I'd not say a word against them.)
  • Options

Aslan said:

There must come a point when it becomes impossible to detain them all, surely?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Ah, Buckhurst Hill!
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?search=sunil060902+buckhurst&title=Special:MediaSearch&go=Go&type=image
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Melenchon is now even more pro Putin than Le Pen and Zemmour it seems.
    Takes one to know one?
  • Options

The trouble is that it was never really about Nato membership. The Kremlin wants to control Ukraine as part of its sphere of influence and the Ukrainians are desperate to avoid this. The Nato membership thing is a bit of a red herring. What it might do is give Putin some kind of 'win' if Zelenskyy has to stop going on about it. Any deal would have to provide security guarantees for Ukraine.
    Yes, I am surprised that a lot of people still play into thte idea this is just about NATO, when Putin's hour long whinges and increasingly creative discovery of new pretexts demonstrates very well it is not about that.

Asking for neutrality is also a red herring, because what would neutrality entail when lack of NATO/EU membership does not prevent it being very clear that right now, and for the forseeable future, the Ukrainian demos very much intends to look West rather than equidistant with Russia or unaligned.

It's about controlling Ukraine, directly or indirectly. Limiting its choices to those approved by Russia. Even if the best Putin can manage is to undermine it.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

Aslan said:

There must come a point when it becomes impossible to detain them all, surely?
    Sadly I think history would show that if you arrest/kill enough you can nip these things in the bud. So longer term you can detail all those you need to because the number won't always keep growing.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

ydoethur said:

Applicant said:

Farooq said:

Applicant said:

If the price is rising faster, maybe people are more unnerved by it?
    People who buy/bought diesel cars do big mileages, so put more in and panic more if they think they might run out.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

https://twitter.com/astroehlein/status/1500520681733246977

"Russian authorities detained nearly 4,000 people today for peacefully protesting against Russia's invasion of #Ukraine.

In the last 11 days, over 10,000 people have been detained at such demonstrations in dozens of cities across Russia. "
  • Options
    Kelly Clarkson Show - Lindsey Stirling & Karolina Protsenko Perform 'Guardian' Violin Duet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwgHtHpeRiI

Surely, Ukraine's glory and freedom are not dead yet!

• Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, I am surprised that a lot of people still play into thte idea this is just about NATO, when Putin's hour long whinges and increasingly creative discovery of new pretexts demonstrates very well it is not about that.

Asking for neutrality is also a red herring, because what would neutrality entail when lack of NATO/EU membership does not prevent it being very clear that right now, and for the forseeable future, the Ukrainian demos very much intends to look West rather than equidistant with Russia or unaligned.

It's about controlling Ukraine, directly or indirectly. Limiting its choices to those approved by Russia. Even if the best Putin can manage is to undermine it.
    Out of interest, what is the Russian view on expansion of the EU? We know they are very much against the eastwards expansion of NATO. But does the eastwards expansion of the EU cause them the same existential angst? I've no idea.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Chris said:

If I had the time, once of the pieces I was planning to publish this week was.

Why Vladimir Putin is bad for Scottish Nationalism.
    That would be an interesting read indeed. This situation has got me reassessing my feelings towards independence, and it's pulling me in both directions.

Certainly it's in Putin's interests to see the UK divided, and that puts me off.
    On the other hand, it's reinforced how vital it is that a nation (and Scotland is a nation) has control over its own destiny. Obviously I don't want to go full Mad Malky here, the English rule of Scotland is extremely benign when measured against what Putin would do with Ukraine, but it's still a case of large parts of our policy are made by people we don't want, don't like, and who disagree with us. That ought to be addressed better.
    And then swinging back to the unionist side again, the SNP's positions on nuclear weapons, is it sustainable? I have doubts. And even though the SNP are now pro-NATO, I'm not quite sure where Scotland is overall.

Conclusion: I'm still on the fence, but I could well imagine people switching sides because of this. Hard to say whether it'll lean more one way than the other.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Out of interest, what is the Russian view on expansion of the EU? We know they are very much against the eastwards expansion of NATO. But does the eastwards expansion of the EU cause them the same existential angst? I've no idea.
    I believe people have said they don't like it as they see it as NATO through the backdoor. Plus since they have an imperalist view of it's sphere of influence they probably do see it existentially.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    Well done for this thread Mike.

It absolutely STINKS.

There is more to come out too. A lot more ...
This discussion has been closed.