Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Back home Rentoul thinks the betting markets are wrong on Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,478

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

FPT

Chameleon said:

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497285592207429633/photo/1

"⚡️BREAKING: Kyiv home guard, the 112th Territorial Defense Brigade, now operate British-provided NLAWs.
    Welcome to hell, motherfuckers."

It's pretty notable how much Russia has been unwilling/unable to make headway into urban areas. If they do it is going to be horrifically bloody for all involved.

It’s interesting and like a horrible bloody Petri dish for weapons - for the US/UK they can provide all sorts of weapons that have never been tried in real life situations, and they could never be otherwise be tested against Russian armour in real life conditions/testing.

If they didn’t work then back to the drawing board but if they are working, and they seem to be, then it changes the balance of NATO/Russian military planning. If Russian tanks are vulnerable then the idea of them sweeping across the Baltic is obsolete and it swings to air power. So HYUFD’s tank requirement might be fighting the last war.

A bit like the Turkish drones proving more than useful and making military planners have to rethink.
    As Russia also has the largest airforce in Europe without heavy US air support the point remains, European NATO powers need more military hardware, whether tanks or fighter jets and bombers
    How much of that air force is actually working or doesn't need stripping down after 3 flights?

They have all sorts of things on paper, but the reality doesn't seem to match.

The problem is not their conventional forces. It is what they would do when the conventional forces lose.
    As I said earlier: Russia has some forces that are world-class. It also has a lot of very poor quality forces.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Surprised at the market moves today.

If there’s one thing that seems likely to come out of this, it’s a notable jump in the % of GDP that will need to be spent on defence, throughout the west, in the coming decade. That should be enough to knock a few % off the valuation of global stock markets. Instead, they seem to have discounted the war as economically irrelevant.

Why? Defence spending is surely the bees knees for arms exporting economies like the UK, US, France etc?
    It's particularly good news for France who, one would note, have not been shy to sell arms to Ukraine.
    I hate to use the phrase as I am the first to admit it is shallow and perhaps callous but after a dubious start I think Macron is having a 'good war' so far. He was right to try and find a diplomatic solution to all of this whilst also preparing for failure and his pronouncements and his support for tough sanctions against Russia (which go beyond what is proposed by the EU) as well as supplying the Ukrainians with defence equipment and his move to speed up putting French forces into Romania all show he is taking this seriously and acting accordingly.

Much as I am not a big fan of Macron normally, given a choice between him and his likely opponents, most of whom seem to be Putin apologists, I would choose him every time.
    The thing I was most impressed with is that he's allowed French arms manufacturers to use the government export finance facility - that is the Ukrainians don't actually need to hand over money now.

Cynically, of course, this is very good news for France's arms industry. But I also appreciate that - unlike some countries - the French were very willing to change their stance when Russia invaded.
    It is of course the case - and I can only say this because @TSE seems not to be here - that the Falklands war was effectively won by the French in that they sold us exocet missiles, and declined to sell thewm to Argentinia.
    The nation of collaborators were perfidious during the Falklands.

But Mitterrand's policy of supporting Britain provoked dissent among some senior officials in the French foreign ministry.

In a stinging memo dated 7 April 1982, France's then ambassador to London, Emmanuel de Margerie, described British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher as "Victorian, imperialist and obstinate". He went on to add that she had a "tendency to get carried away by combative instincts".

In another document entitled The Falklands: Lessons from a Fiasco, senior French official Bernard Dorin accused Britain of "superpower arrogance" and claimed the country had shown "profound contempt for Latinos".

Behind the scenes, actions were speaking louder than words. In what would appear to be a clear breach of President Mitterrand's embargo, a French technical team - mainly working for a company 51% owned by the French government - stayed in Argentina throughout the war.

In an interview carried out in 1982 by Sunday Times journalist Isabel Hilton, the team's leader, Herve Colin, admitted carrying out one particular test that proved invaluable to Argentinian forces.

"The verification process involves determining if the missile launcher was functioning correctly or not. Three of the launchers failed. We located the source of the problem and that was it. The rest was simple."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17256975

Once the Falklands were secure the returning task force should have nuked or invaded France.
    I do wish we had her now, Victorian obstinacy and all.
    We still have her. We always will.
    We should dig her up. Her rotting corpse would be a more effective leader than Boris Johnson in these difficult times.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,538
    Russia has finally won some international support: Abkhazia has recognised the independence of Donetsk and Lugansk.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,866

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

The Ukraine crisis likely secures Boris until the local elections. Provided the Tories avoid massive losses there he will likely survive beyond that too.

If he is fined by the Met then it will be hard for him to survive, however if Sunak is also fined his leadership chances would also be over too. That would leave Hunt or Truss as the likely new PM

Clearly, the country needs Hunt in the job asap. Your job is to help make it happen.
    Johnson will probably not be fined. Even if he is - no way he is going during this crisis.
    Agree. Circumstances, even ghastly ones, keep being on his side. FWIW I, generally a Tory voter, will not vote Tory while he is leader (Patersongate, cover up of Partygate, smearing SKS, obvious terminological inexactitudes) but I think there is a +50% chance he will lead into the next election, a nearly 50% chance that the Tories will form the next government, and a roughly 25% chance that Boris will lead and win. It would be grossly undeserved, but as Napoleon said:

"I would rather have my generals be lucky than able"

• Options
    PJohnson said:

Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

boulay said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

If there’s one thing that seems likely to come out of this, it’s a notable jump in the % of GDP that will need to be spent on defence, throughout the west, in the coming decade. That should be enough to knock a few % off the valuation of global stock markets. Instead, they seem to have discounted the war as economically irrelevant.

Certainly struck me as odd. I thought markets dont like uncertainty?
    its a mechanical move. Too many people shorted the invasion....market never gives money away that trade was too obvious..those shorts have to be squeezed out...also the market had been falling for weeks before too
    I haven’t looked at the stats but always be sceptical about market moves on a Friday as liquidity is lower so small trades move markets disproportionately.
    wall street has had 2 days of big rallies now...its the next move that will be telling as stocks are still well down on the year
    I'll bet you're a fan of rallies, right?
    as in to make money off of...sure who wouldnt be
    It's clear the Markets are predicting a quick win for Vlad with fuck all consequences.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Putin has made a fatal error

I have been in a deep black dog depression about all this the last 48 hours. Terrible times. But I am starting to feel the tiny glimmer of hope. Putin may have fucked up here and his reign is nearer the end than we thought.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Leon said:

He did that years ago when he amassed a dishonest fortune and collected too many evil secrets. He had to arrange to be in power for life knowing when he lost power he lost his freedom and life.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:

seems like russian troops are amassing on the Polish border. Maybe Putin is planning shock and awe ala Hitler 1940
    https://twitter.com/fideidefensor/status/1497301356067045382?s=20&t=6zU79TZSNhBXXR5TXygXDQ

Why would he want to drag USA into this now?

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
  • Options

Leon said:

I have been in a deep black dog depression about all this the last 48 hours. Terrible times. But I am starting to feel the tiny glimmer of hope. Putin may have fucked up here and his reign is nearer the end than we thought.

that is rather wishful thinking i think...but if it helps your state of mind thats good
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

boulay said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

its a mechanical move. Too many people shorted the invasion....market never gives money away that trade was too obvious..those shorts have to be squeezed out...also the market had been falling for weeks before too
    I haven’t looked at the stats but always be sceptical about market moves on a Friday as liquidity is lower so small trades move markets disproportionately.
    wall street has had 2 days of big rallies now...its the next move that will be telling as stocks are still well down on the year
    It's clear the Markets are predicting a quick win for Vlad with fuck all consequences.
    Nope.

Rule of Acquisition 34 applies, as does 35.

Energy companies are expected to do well.
  • Options
    Rishi missed his boat.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,208
    Scott_xP said:

NATO Secretary-General Stoltenberg said the alliance was deploying parts of its combat-ready response force and would continue to send weapons to Ukraine, including air defences "We are now deploying the NATO response force for the first time in the context of collective defence"
    https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1497271044889100292

If Russian plans didn't envisage a full scale occupation but more a strike at the center, an elimination of the best of the Ukrainian military in the east, then a puppet in Kiev then those promised weapons will come in handy. This again poses the question that I raised last night why didn't the Russians drive the most westerly group of forces sitting around Brest in Belarus straight down the border area between Ukraine & Poland. It doesn't take a genius to work out that's where main hub of the moving goods logistic operation to supply weapons is based.

Meanwhile in Kiev there clearly are attempts to disrupt from within the city. It was flagged as something to watch for and its certainly happening, though it appears not to much effect yet. This is a mix of prep work & target acquisition but also an attempt to cause chaos and collapse from within, easing the conventional forces approach.

Strategically more concerning is that the Russians are trying very hard to wipe the Ukrainian air force out this evening and have been launching strikes from distance on airfields. They didn't quite get the job done in days 1-2. Its imperative the Ukrainians maintain some kind of air strike capability. Unconfirmed stories have it that the Ukrainians have in turn launched ballistic missiles against a Russian airbase in the Rostov region but there is strong not enough verification of that yet.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760

Anonymous TV 🌐@YourAnonTV
    JUST IN: Hacktivist group #Anonymous has successfully breached and leaked the database of the Russian Ministry of Defence website | mil[.] ru |. You can download all private data of the Russian MOD here: https://mega.nz/file/U3JAGRKL#fvwxJOQgODvHTKK37d5vaU3eCi8E3B5atDe1fXu_Zjs
    https://twitter.com/YourAnonTV/status/1497273131567828992

On one hand, I hate this sort of hacker.

On the other.... LOL.
    One man’s hacker is another lady’s freedom fighter.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,049
    edited February 2022
    I spent the last few hours in conference where it was discussed that keeping Russia in SWIFT may be the worst thing for Russia.

Remaining in SWIFT allows capital flight out of the CCCP, sorry Russia.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Andy_JS said:

"Furious Putin prepares to use 'father of all bombs' as brave Ukrainians hold up advance: West warns Russia could use terror weapon that vaporizes bodies alongside a massive Amphibious assault as invaders run into fierce resistance in Kyiv"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10552743/Furious-Putin-prepares-use-father-bombs-brave-Ukrainians-hold-advance.html

I rather suspect that the realistic threat of using a (non-nuclear) WMD would be enough for the Kremlin glitterati to cause Mr Putin to have an unfortunate coronary complication brought on by the stress of standing up to the neo-facist Ukrainian terrorists.
    Particularly as we might be able to lend the Ukrainians one to use. Indeed, they may already have them. They could probably manage, for example, a one-off mission to Belgorod or even Rostov-na-Donu
  • Options
    RT's editor in chief has just tweeted: "If you now feel ashamed to be Russian, don't worry, you're not Russian."

The fact that she's saying that just shows how widespread the feeling is. The Kremlin has made a major miscalculation.
  • Options

Does Germany hate everybody to the East except Russia?

@visegrad24
    During a visit to Poland yesterday, German Environment Minister
    @SteffiLemke
    (the Green Party) said Germany will take Poland to court if the country tries to build nuclear power plants.

Poland wants to build 6 reactors since EU has demanded that it transitions away from coal.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1496392433113907200

I think it is the fact they want to put them all down the German border that is causing concern :)
    That is an amazing map. I had no idea there were that many scattered across europe.

None in Ireland. How do they manage?
  • Options

RT's editor in chief has just tweeted: "If you now feel ashamed to be Russian, don't worry, you're not Russian."

The fact that she's saying that just shows how widespread the feeling is. The Kremlin has made a major miscalculation.

Nataliya Vasilyeva
    @Nat_Vasilyeva
    Footage on AP Live right now of an anti-war protest in St Petersburg. People are being arrested.
    This is completely spontaneous. No one even announced those protests.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

seems like russian troops are amassing on the Polish border. Maybe Putin is planning shock and awe ala Hitler 1940
    https://twitter.com/fideidefensor/status/1497301356067045382?s=20&t=6zU79TZSNhBXXR5TXygXDQ

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    If he did invade Poland now his acolytes would clearly see his insanity and I hope remove him from power and influence
  • Options

I refer to my post the other day about the wisdom of Putin ordering his troops to invade what is basically a cousin's family farm.

He's gone tonto, to coin a phrase.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,682
    edited February 2022

Russia has finally won some international support: Abkhazia has recognised the independence of Donetsk and Lugansk.

International is a bit of a stretch in fairness. Like my left hand recognising my right hand.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,889

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Why? Defence spending is surely the bees knees for arms exporting economies like the UK, US, France etc?
    It's particularly good news for France who, one would note, have not been shy to sell arms to Ukraine.
    I hate to use the phrase as I am the first to admit it is shallow and perhaps callous but after a dubious start I think Macron is having a 'good war' so far. He was right to try and find a diplomatic solution to all of this whilst also preparing for failure and his pronouncements and his support for tough sanctions against Russia (which go beyond what is proposed by the EU) as well as supplying the Ukrainians with defence equipment and his move to speed up putting French forces into Romania all show he is taking this seriously and acting accordingly.

Much as I am not a big fan of Macron normally, given a choice between him and his likely opponents, most of whom seem to be Putin apologists, I would choose him every time.
    The thing I was most impressed with is that he's allowed French arms manufacturers to use the government export finance facility - that is the Ukrainians don't actually need to hand over money now.

Cynically, of course, this is very good news for France's arms industry. But I also appreciate that - unlike some countries - the French were very willing to change their stance when Russia invaded.
    It is of course the case - and I can only say this because @TSE seems not to be here - that the Falklands war was effectively won by the French in that they sold us exocet missiles, and declined to sell thewm to Argentinia.
    The nation of collaborators were perfidious during the Falklands.

But Mitterrand's policy of supporting Britain provoked dissent among some senior officials in the French foreign ministry.

In a stinging memo dated 7 April 1982, France's then ambassador to London, Emmanuel de Margerie, described British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher as "Victorian, imperialist and obstinate". He went on to add that she had a "tendency to get carried away by combative instincts".

In another document entitled The Falklands: Lessons from a Fiasco, senior French official Bernard Dorin accused Britain of "superpower arrogance" and claimed the country had shown "profound contempt for Latinos".

Behind the scenes, actions were speaking louder than words. In what would appear to be a clear breach of President Mitterrand's embargo, a French technical team - mainly working for a company 51% owned by the French government - stayed in Argentina throughout the war.

In an interview carried out in 1982 by Sunday Times journalist Isabel Hilton, the team's leader, Herve Colin, admitted carrying out one particular test that proved invaluable to Argentinian forces.

"The verification process involves determining if the missile launcher was functioning correctly or not. Three of the launchers failed. We located the source of the problem and that was it. The rest was simple."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17256975

Once the Falklands were secure the returning task force should have nuked or invaded France.
    I do wish we had her now, Victorian obstinacy and all.
    We still have her. We always will.
    We should dig her up. Her rotting corpse would be a more effective leader than Boris Johnson in these difficult times.
    The idea that your backbone isn't slightly stiffened by her legacy either means you're not British or you're not paying attention.

Faults and all she was a truly great Briton.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,098

I spent the last few hours in conference where it was discussed that keeping Russia in SWIFT may be the worst thing for Russia.

I was actually thinking that myself yesterday (honest).
  • Options

Has Salmond commented on his russian-ness yet?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Was the tweet in Russian or English?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,297

PJohnson said:

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    The railhead at Brest is close to Poland, but also good for a strike south into West Ukraine. Considering how Putin seems to be stalling in Ukraine, I think it unlikely that he wants to take on the Poles (and NATO) at the same time.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,987
    Leon said:

Because he’s believed his own hype - that Ukraine would welcome Russia as liberators?

I can’t see how this doesn’t bog down in long, protracted attrition
  • Options

On topic, I'll say it again.

Rishi Sunak is the Indian heritage David Miliband.

Lest we forget he is a coward who is only Chancellor because he was prepared to wear the political gimp mask handed to him by Dom Cummings.

He will not feature in any profiles in courage.

#MissedHisChance

Are you voting for Tugendhat TSE? Who would you prefer?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,846
    🔺 EXCLUSIVE: The Church of England has ditched all £20m of its investments in Russian companies in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/church-of-england-to-sell-its-20m-russian-holdings-rb5dspb96?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1645819344
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,584
    Yokes said:

Scott_xP said:

NATO Secretary-General Stoltenberg said the alliance was deploying parts of its combat-ready response force and would continue to send weapons to Ukraine, including air defences "We are now deploying the NATO response force for the first time in the context of collective defence"

If Russian plans didn't envisage a full scale occupation but more a strike at the center, an elimination of the best of the Ukrainian military in the east, then a puppet in Kiev then those promised weapons will come in handy. This again poses the question that I raised last night why didn't the Russians drive the most westerly group of forces sitting around Brest in Belarus straight down the border area between Ukraine & Poland. It doesn't take a genius to work out that's where main hub of the moving goods logistic operation to supply weapons is based.

Meanwhile in Kiev there clearly are attempts to disrupt from within the city. It was flagged as something to watch for and its certainly happening, though it appears not to much effect yet. This is a mix of prep work & target acquisition but also an attempt to cause chaos and collapse from within, easing the conventional forces approach.

Strategically more concerning is that the Russians are trying very hard to wipe the Ukrainian air force out this evening and have been launching strikes from distance on airfields. They didn't quite get the job done in days 1-2. Its imperative the Ukrainians maintain some kind of air strike capability. Unconfirmed stories have it that the Ukrainians have in turn launched ballistic missiles against a Russian airbase in the Rostov region but there is strong not enough verification of that yet.

They appear to be taking out power stations.

Russians are shelling power plant right next to me. 6 explosions.
    https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1497284141955661827

Klitzschko posted similar news.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    He will and the Poles are no rollover but these troops have been around Belarus for weeks in that general position so its not necessarily the case that its new plus its nowhere near enough to take on a full offensive. The wonks in Western capitals are very aware of the possibility that Putin will try something clever somewhere else, though the possibility is not necessarily considered high. This though is why the fighter patrols have been up from the US & UK in Eastern Poland and the troop number in transit are rising.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Was the tweet in Russian or English?
    In Russian. I don't think she ever comments in English.
  • Options

Has anyone recognised Abkhazia yet? :)
  • Options

Leon said:

Because he’s believed his own hype - that Ukraine would welcome Russia as liberators?

I can’t see how this doesn’t bog down in long, protracted attrition
    With his own side being a load of semi-conscripted, drunk, inexperienced kids, short on kit, who are being asked to fight for precisely what?

I'm starting to feel some slight optimism. Hope I am not deluded or dulled too much by the Friday night G & T.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

PJohnson said:

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    The railhead at Brest is close to Poland, but also good for a strike south into West Ukraine. Considering how Putin seems to be stalling in Ukraine, I think it unlikely that he wants to take on the Poles (and NATO) at the same time.

if Putin wanted to go for Poland he may well deploy some of his special weapons
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,160

PJohnson said:

Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

boulay said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

Nope.

Rule of Acquisition 34 applies, as does 35.

Energy companies are expected to do well.
    Putin would also be wise to heed Quark's counsel - "They have weapons, you have weapons, everyone has weapons; but right now, no one has a clear advantage. So the price of peace is at an all-time low. This is the perfect time to sit down and hammer out an agreement."
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

Scott_xP said:

They appear to be taking out power stations.

Russians are shelling power plant right next to me. 6 explosions.
    https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1497284141955661827

Klitzschko posted similar news.
    You would expect that to be honest, its standard stuff to black out locations if you can. Damages comms, damages the populous.
  • Options
    Don’t know how accurate this is.
    (Apart from the Germany bit.)

I can reveal that at least five NATO countries decided to supply “all weapons, Ukraine asks for” to the defending nation, though “it might be too late”. The supply started yesterday.
    “Germany is not among them”, the senior source tells me.

https://twitter.com/JulianRoepcke/status/1497268944255733770
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,179

Yes. This is shameful

Free democracies do not attack each other. That's how it works. Russian is meant to be democratic, likewise Ukraine. How much of this is hypocritical cant? - lots - but nonetheless it matters. It is a sign of First World, developed status, and an awful lot of richer Russians feel they are, or should be, part of this advanced world. Better than the heathens

Putin's aggression reduces them to the status of Genghis Khan's Mongols. Or Hitler. The Russian upper classes will not like this one bit. He has rendered them unclubbable
  • Options
    If. And this is a massive 'if' so big you can see from the moon, Putin has gambled and fecked up, then hats off to Matthew Parris who posted an article to last week's Speccie saying we should not interrupted an enemy while they are making a mistake.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pornhub cockblocks Russian users.

Russian users who tried to go on PornHub were presented with a message saying the content is blocked along with a Ukrainian flag and a message of support to Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497287728911822852

What's pornhub?
  • Options

14.51 today by yours truly:

"Thinking about the SWIFT issue. Are we more effective by banning Russia from using it, or by keeping them in and encouraging capital flight from the Russian economy?"
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,262

Borat has.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

PJohnson said:

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    He will and the Poles are no rollover but these troops have been around Belarus for weeks in that general position so its not necessarily the case that its new plus its nowhere near enough to take on a full offensive. The wonks in Western capitals are very aware of the possibility that Putin will try something clever somewhere else, though the possibility is not necessarily considered high. This though is why the fighter patrols have been up from the US & UK in Eastern Poland and the troop number in transit are rising.
    It seems unlikely as it would mean taking on NATO air forces directly.
    They’d lose quite quickly, I think.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,736

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

I would also rate Macron more highly than Johnson, who gives the impression that he is not sure which side he is on.
  • Options

I’m not going to. If it was a cocktail I might be tempted to try it.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,352
    Feels like Ukraine has pushed Covid off the agenda just as effectively as Covid itself managed to get everyone to stop talking about Brexit in March 2020.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Scott_xP said:

Russian users who tried to go on PornHub were presented with a message saying the content is blocked along with a Ukrainian flag and a message of support to Ukraine.

It's like a modern day fucking Lysistrata
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,682

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Macron was already the best of the options, this event hasn't made that less true, certainly.
  • Options

PJohnson said:

Farooq said:

PJohnson said:

boulay said:

PJohnson said:

ping said:

Or a quick defeat...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

"Thinking about the SWIFT issue. Are we more effective by banning Russia from using it, or by keeping them in and encouraging capital flight from the Russian economy?"
    Interesting.

Just shows that any news talking point is not always as obvious as the first thoughts are. Nor as obvious as the immediate reaction down at the Dog and Duck.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,808
    edited February 2022

Foxy said:

Interesting.

Just shows that any news talking point is not always as obvious as the first thoughts are. Nor as obvious as the immediate reaction down at the Dog and Duck.
    A good explainer....from somebody who knows what they are talking about.

Why Wasn’t Russia Cut Off From SWIFT?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SuaO0ZSxw&

As usual the media jump on something they don't really understand and it becomes the question to every interview, why not cut off from SWIFT, why not cut off from SWIFT, as if it is a trivial obvious cut and dried decision.
  • Options
    Perhaps forgotten now, but in December 2018 that well-known democrat and upholder of national sovereignty Vladimir Putin was giving us instruction on how 'the will of the people' precluded a confirmatory vote on whether to proceed with Brexit:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/20/vladimir-putin-theresa-may-brexit-fulfil-will-of-the-people
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,889
    edited February 2022

For all the condemnation of RT and RT journalists (Salmond), they can see, they can report, and they can't always be controlled. The Kremlin spokes-lady this afternoon was quite amazing in her resolve and focus. If it didn't slightly eat into her soul doing so I'd be surprised.

The Russians have legitimate grievances. They're very small though. I will never knowingly buy a product ever again from those that have Putin as their head of state. Nor will I sell them anything.

Russia has loomed large over my life. All the time they've threatened me and my family. We've done everything to try to get them to not be arses, but arses they are.

There is no place for anything Russian in our world, and (sadly) no place for Russians. It and they all have to go.

Edit: Of course I mean Russian nationalism rather than the people here.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Interesting.

Or from Starmer.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

What's pornhub?
    It’s a site particularly popular with Russians for its videos of Steppe moms.
    There’s genius on this forum.
  • Options

Feels like Ukraine has pushed Covid off the agenda just as effectively as Covid itself managed to get everyone to stop talking about Brexit in March 2020.

Indeed. Although it seems obvious that Vlad will go nowhere near anyone who might have covid, so perhaps there is some play still in the plague.

• Options

Foxy said:

Interesting.

And another reason why knee-jerk reactions of "this is too weak!" may be wide of the mark. Some effective measures are non-obvious and poorly visible, whilst some ineffective measures may be 'obvious' and do bugger all. To complicate matters, a measure made unilaterally immediately may have less or more effect than one done multilaterally but delayed.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,898
    PJohnson said:

Er - how? Is he shipping them to Kaliningrad?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,352

Indeed. Although it seems obvious that Vlad will go nowhere near anyone who might have covid, so perhaps there is some play still in the plague.

COVID-19 began and ended with a Russian operation...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,179
    Russia Today is airing an interview with Rudy Giuliani saying how pathetic Ukraine's president is

What a fucking piece of shit = Rudy Giuilani

It occurs to me you can actually estimate the price of a man's soul, by how much they accepted, to work for RT

Livingstone
    Salmond
    Giuliani
    Galloway

Who else?

Let us name them and shame them; let them be banished thereafter
  • Options
    Interesting thread

https://twitter.com/ThreshedThought/status/1497304143836454921

Maybe Yokes can comment?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

What's pornhub?
    It’s a site particularly popular with Russians for its videos of Steppe moms.
    It is all about military hardware
    Missile I Like to Fire, uses the acronym MILF
  • Options
    ClippP said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

I would also rate Macron more highly than Johnson, who gives the impression that he is not sure which side he is on.
    I was trying to be nice about Macron. Rating him higher than Johnson is damning with faint praise!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,808
    edited February 2022

Foxy said:

Interesting.

And another reason why knee-jerk reactions of "this is too weak!" may be wide of the mark. Some effective measures are non-obvious and poorly visible, whilst some ineffective measures may be 'obvious' and do bugger all. To complicate matters, a measure made unilaterally immediately may have less or more effect than one done multilaterally but delayed.
    e.g. Sanctions against Putin personal holdings in Europe. Sounds good, but if you watched the Navalny documentary , it seems highly unlikely he hasn't much (if any). The palace, the vineyard etc, nothing is in his name, then it becomes very complicated very quickly about who owns what and if you can prove legally it is actually Putin.
  • Options

I cough in Putin's general direction.

His mother was a hamster and his father smelt of elderberries.
  • Options

The Guardian article posted earlier suggested "alternative" sanctions that might be more effective than targeting oligarchs
  • Options
    #Breaking Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said he has extended a flight ban meaning “no Russian private jet can fly in UK airspace, or touchdown – effective immediately” https://twitter.com/PA/status/1497312908228841476/photo/1
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes. This is shameful

Free democracies do not attack each other. That's how it works. Russian is meant to be democratic, likewise Ukraine. How much of this is hypocritical cant? - lots - but nonetheless it matters. It is a sign of First World, developed status, and an awful lot of richer Russians feel they are, or should be, part of this advanced world. Better than the heathens

Putin's aggression reduces them to the status of Genghis Khan's Mongols. Or Hitler. The Russian upper classes will not like this one bit. He has rendered them unclubbable
    "The Russian upper classes" will not like it. Indeed. Because for you Mikhail, the party is over. No more twatting around on massive yachts near Cannes while you daughter studies film and drama at a leading UK university in between nightclubbing with the old marching powder in Soho.

And you can forget your third wife getting occasional access to the Queen's third cousin once removed because of her charitable works.

Oh, and by the way, your account is frozen.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Anyway am back home dosed up with a course of strong antibiotics.

The 111 service and the hospital both very good. Both necessary because impossible to get a GP appointment.

I dread watching the news now. Poor poor Ukraine.

Hope you feel better soon, :)

and if its any consolation the News on Ukraine is looking a bit more positive than it was 12 hours ago.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Russia Today is airing an interview with Rudy Giuliani saying how pathetic Ukraine's president is

What a fucking piece of shit = Rudy Giuilani

It occurs to me you can actually estimate the price of a man's soul, by how much they accepted, to work for RT

Livingstone
    Salmond
    Giuliani
    Galloway

Who else?

Let us name them and shame them; let them be banished thereafter

Giuilani has trashed his reputation worse than Trump.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,021
    ydoethur said:

PJohnson said:

Belarus? More likely he's going to try and cut off the supplies on the Ukraine - Poland border.

Surprised that wasn't the original plan. Perhaps the weaponry crossing the border is proving to be a little too effective.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Yes. This is shameful

Ukrainian racism already sees Russians as uncivilised Asiatics, mostly Tatar and Mongol. Look at the willingness of ordinary Ukies to queue up to be issued with an AK47 and a militia hat. They will not receive them gently. The Russians raped their way through Berlin in 1945 and they will be expecting the same. While they see Russians on either side of the border as being kin, somehow they see the москалі (Muscovites) as something else.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Interesting thread

Maybe Yokes can comment?

"Amateurs talk tactics and professionals talk logistics."

Something my housemaster (a major in the TA) drummed into me.

As true in civilian life as it is in the military.
  • Options
    kiev being heavily bombed now . Putin going for the win tonite

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1497311131450417155?s=20&t=J5VeBtxA2aNTrmUeefStFg
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Yokes said:

PJohnson said:

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    It seems unlikely as it would mean taking on NATO air forces directly.
    They’d lose quite quickly, I think.
    I'd agree on that, Russia in a conventional conflict would take a total kicking but NATO doesn't want to be caught out and the way they are bulking up air and land presence tells you they really are concerned about the whole picture.

As I mentioned downthread too, the Metro report is misleading in its intent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,898
    Scott_xP said:

If they wanted to really troll them, they should say, 'why are you here? Go to RT to see these much bigger c***s in all their glory.'

And then photos of Putin, Lavrov, Medvedev, Mishustin and Bortkinov...
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,396
    ydoethur said:

PJohnson said:

If true it would pressage an attack to seize the Suwalki gap and link Belarus to the exclave. Lithuania has declared a state of emergency in order to move troops more rapidly to key positions.
  • Options
    A very ominous message from the Russian Foreign Ministry simply says that the distribution of weapons by the Ukrainians [to civilians] is "the end".

https://ria.ru/20220225/oruzhie-1775187553.html
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,987
    Scott_xP said:

Interesting thread

Maybe Yokes can comment?

..I think this whole exercise was Putin becoming tone death to everything and everyone around him. I can’t see how Ukraine just surrenders and accepts a puppet government
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,826

Leon said:

Yes. This is shameful

Ukrainian racism already sees Russians as uncivilised Asiatics, mostly Tatar and Mongol. Look at the willingness of ordinary Ukies to queue up to be issued with an AK47 and a militia hat. They will not receive them gently. The Russians raped their way through Berlin in 1945 and they will be expecting the same. While they see Russians on either side of the border as being kin, somehow they see the москалі (Muscovites) as something else.
    I knew someone from Poland (half German actually) whose grandparents told stories of when the Red Army liberated Poland. They were worse than the Germans. Did things like pulled a tap out of the wall to take with them because they wanted to take the running water. Completely uneducated rabble.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,194

Leon said:

I also think that Putin his miscalculated, but unfortunately he's also an unhinged fascist megalomaniac with an obsession with imperial conquest and an arsenal of many thousands of nuclear warheads. There is a material risk that we're all going to end up dead within the next few months.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

So not only is Putin a wanker, but he is a wanker that now can't even get internet Porn, O the irony!
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Interesting thread

Maybe Yokes can comment?

"Amateurs talk tactics and professionals talk logistics."

Something my housemaster (a major in the TA) drummed into me.

As true in civilian life as it is in the military.
    Those guys in Obolon seemed to have outrun their support.
  • Options
    PJohnson said:
    The man comes over as a total retard.

Shame. I think he is actually a very talented actor.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,263

Scott_xP said:

Interesting thread

Maybe Yokes can comment?

..I think this whole exercise was Putin becoming tone death to everything and everyone around him. I can’t see how Ukraine just surrenders and accepts a puppet government
    Tone death is poetically appropriate.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,866
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Yes. This is shameful

There are one or two seeds of hope:
    1) If millions of younger Russians turn out on real Stop the War demos, it will be difficult to silence them without going the full Tiananmen on them
    2) Parris may be right when he says the west should believe their own rhetoric about invading being a huge mistake
    3) However many Ukrainians leave (and who can blame them) 90%+ will stay, nearly all of whom won't be killed and will live to work for a better day
    4) This is the first modern war directly touching the interests of the world we ordinary UK people interact with daily. (In October 2021 Lidl announced plans to expand in Ukraine. Ukrainian HGV drivers turn up on the M6. It's as quotidien as that.) And the first war in our patch in the social media and internet age. In terms of hearts and minds Putin can't win.

• Options

Wembley arch shines in colours of Ukrainian flag in solidarity gesture

Wembley will host the Carabao Cup final between Liverpool and Chelsea on Sunday

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/02/25/pictured-wembley-arch-shines-colours-ukrainian-flag-solidarity/
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,614
    edited February 2022
    Let's hope Anonymous are trying to knock out the computer systems used by the Russian military.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1497305697968697346?s=20&t=lCCItDrHH7YTzIHS7w9nOA

When's the moment the political establishment - govt, opposition, SNP - faces up to reality and tells the public energy policy is a delusional disaster? And COP26 was before Ukraine when geopolitical facts of life changed. Who'll go first? Awkward chat for PM with Carrie Johnson

Vlads little helpers.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,737

PJohnson said:

Biden is not Trump.

He will defend Poland.
    So he should. So should we. Fuck the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.