Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Powerful front pages following Putin’s aggression – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911
    Even Sturgeon going after the Germans!
  • Leon said:

🚨 #UKRAINE NEWS | Battle of Chernihiv - According to the UK Ministry of Defence, Russian forces attacking Chernihiv on the 24th were halted outside the city. Ukraine say they repelled an attack by the Russian army in Chernihiv and seized Russian equipment and documents.

https://twitter.com/geoallison/status/1497123195752783872

Are Russian soldiers up for the fight?

For many it will be their first experience of combat and they are fighting a very very motivated opponent.
    Also fighting an ‘enemy’ that in most cases will seem like a friend, if not family. Half of Ukraine speaks Russian, FFS

It’s like expecting Geordie or Liverpudlian troops to fire on protestors in Edinburgh if Scotland did UDI
    FUDHY’s division will be recruited from the south. They’ll relish bashing Scottish grannies on the heid for daring to vote for secession.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    edited February 2022

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

Bullies and tyrants are only crushed when decisive and punitive action is taken against them.

NATO should admit Ukraine with effect from midnight tonight.

NATO admitting Russia more likely.
    I'll go with Finland.
    Bosnia are next in the queue but Serbia will probably invade them to stop it happening.
    Yep. It will kick off there any day now under cover of all the rest of the mess in Ukraine. Unless Putin orders his puppets in Balkans to hang fire for some reason.
    Hmmm… remind me, who were Tito and Stalin allied with? Must have been right evil bastards?
    Tito was never really 'allied' with anybody. He occasionally worked with other people when it suited his purposes.

He was also the author of one of three letters Stalin kept by him at all times, presumably because he was amused by it. The gist ran:

'Joe, stop sending those assassins of yours. They're useless fuckers and I'm getting bored of shooting them after they've cocked up. If you keep doing it, I'll send one of my teams to deal with you, and I won't need to send another.'
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Damn gutsy people, the Ukrainians. If their resistance hastens the end of Putin in the Kremlin, then the world will owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

They stand at the opposite end of the spectrum of regard than those spineless, self-centred leaders within the EU. Today more than ever, I am relieved we are now unshackled from that moral vacuum.

Macron has performed better than Johnson, I would say personally. I can't see what lasting impact Johnson and Truss with all their arm waving have made, anywhere in this crisis.

Biden has provided accurate intelligence ; Macron has kept a channel of communication open. That's about it, as far as I can see.
    How so?

When Russia invaded Ukraine last time France was reluctant to stop selling amphibious warfare ships worth nearly two billion Euro to Russia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral-class_amphibious_assault_ship#Russian_purchase

Two weeks ago Macron was trying to make Ukraine back down and agree to some of the Russian demands:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/02/08/ukraine-pressure-bow-russian-demands-meeting-emmanuel-macron/

The last I saw this week was that he was claiming that Putin had been "duplicitous".

He sounded like a Mark who had only just noticed he'd been had.

(Yes, I am skeptical where all things Marcon are concerned.)
    But he's also carved out an independent channel of communication, which remains crucial when you're dealing with a madman. I'm not sure what Johnson's done distinct from the US that will leave any lasting legacy on how this conflict works out, by comparison.

This also depends on what happens next, ofcourse. Overall I think he's achieved little that's distinct so far, though.
    What good is an "independent" channel of communication, when he communicates at variance with the West's general position, and portrays that Putin's interlocutors are going to tolerate an invasion?

If push comes to shove, independent communication are what places such as Switzerland are for.
    We're at an extremely dangerous juncture, and it appears Putin may not be entirely all there mentally. Good channels of communication straight to a major European power are absolutely crucial in this situation.
  • I'm hoping that whoever was involved in the German decision to block all the munitions deliveries to Ukraine doesn't sleep easy tonight.

They will.

The spirit of Molotov-Ribbentrop runs deep.
    I fail to see how attacking our mainland allies is going to strengthen our hand. These days Tories are, quite literally, unthinking.
    You seem unwilling to deal with the reality of Germany's behaviour:

https://www.dw.com/en/german-arms-exports-hit-new-record-during-merkels-last-days/a-60256034

And why do you think I'm a Tory ?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

Champions League final moved from Russia to Paris.

Well that's not too far for whichever two Premier League teams find themselves in the final.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Just had a newsflash. The Champions League final has been moved from St Petersburg.
    Doesn't say to where, though.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380

I'm pleasantly surprised by this and the speed of this.
  • ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

Bullies and tyrants are only crushed when decisive and punitive action is taken against them.

I'll go with Finland.
    Bosnia are next in the queue but Serbia will probably invade them to stop it happening.
    Yep. It will kick off there any day now under cover of all the rest of the mess in Ukraine. Unless Putin orders his puppets in Balkans to hang fire for some reason.
    Hmmm… remind me, who were Tito and Stalin allied with? Must have been right evil bastards?
    Tito was never really 'allied' with anybody. He occasionally worked with other people when it suited his purposes.

He was also the author of one of three letters Stalin kept by him at all times, presumably because he was amused by it. The gist ran:

'Joe, stop sending those assassins of yours. They're useless fuckers and I'm getting bored of shooting them after they've cocked up. If you keep doing it, I'll send one of my teams to deal with you, and I won't need to send another.'
    But did Tito actually have any/many people assassinated ?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Good on Napoli and Barcelona last night. Would be good to see this at all PL games this weekend and the EFL Cup Final:

• darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Genuinely tear-jerking short thread by a guy who walked from Ukraine to Poland. My god. We must help

https://twitter.com/ukrainelive2022/status/1497106536828710912?s=21

Simply put, the people who are dying must be doing so for a greater purpose, and it is for us to decide whether or not that is the case. We are either abandoning europe to tyranny, or we aren't.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited February 2022
    Selebian said:

I'm pleasantly surprised by this and the speed of this.
    Now I’m just hoping that the FIS (world skiing’s governing body) cancels their two Russian events in March, and that the NHL kick out their pro-Putin star players.

Oh yes, and that the UCI immediately suspends all Russian racers from the spring classics and grand tours. Fuck em.
    ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

I'll go with Finland.

Maybe a pity he didn't.......
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

I'll go with Finland.

Yes - lots.

And a nice little program of expelling anyone guilt of being a bit Italian from Yugoslavia - ethnic cleansing. Tidying up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijeka etc.....

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

I'll go with Finland.

I don't think it was fun being an ethnic German in Yugoslavia in the mid 1940s, of which there were quite a lot not linked to Nazism.

As for political enemies that I will admit I don't know.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited February 2022
    Off topic.

My MP has facebook posted about a 1% council tax rise and 3% adult social care precept increase. But the BBC describes it as a 4% increase.

Now the district, fire, police and parish still needs to be added on (298.54, 101.38, 224.25, 83.03 at last count) but those are two completely different numbers.

From my last bill...

(1749.26- 182.89) + 1% = 1582.03
    182.89 + 3% = 188.38
    ----------
    1582.03 + 188.38 = 1770.41 (Band E) <- Calc according to MP graphic
    1749.26 * 1.04 = 1819.23 (Band E) <- Calc according to BBC
  • Video:
    In Ukraine, a Russian tank had driven over the civilian car. Terrifying footage. My thoughts are with the people of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/franakviacorka/status/1497134141627850789

Further down the thread there's video of passers by trying to extricate the elderly man from what remained of his car.
    edited February 2022

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Russian troops enter Kiev.

Why wasn't more done to defend Ukraine after Crimea in 2014?
    Russian oil, handy dirrty Russian money. Trump. A disbelief that Putin would go the whole 9 yards.

Western leaders over the last 15 or so years can look at hemselves in the mirror and resign themselves that the hey could have averted this by some means or another
    Obama was in power in 2014!
    And? I am blaming Western Leaders for the last fifteen years. Obama,, one could argue doing nothing in 2014, facitated the Putin backed Trump victory. Keep up!
    Agreed.

Though it's worth remembering that Putin's propaganda was far more effective back in 2014. Quite a few were arguing on his behalf that Crimea really was Russian anyway, and that it's being part of Ukraine was an anomaly. And some even accepted the tale of a popular uprising aided by the Russians rather than an armed land grab.

What's happening now is the destruction of a democracy and unprovoked military occupation of an independent state. That's obvious even to Russia's propagandised citizens.
    Sir Alex Younger (ex head of MI6) on R4 this am had an interesting take on Putin, that he had in fact changed over the years and current events are not the culmination of some decades-long strategy but the outcome of Putin’s current mindset. I guess 2014 could be seen as the first symptom of the ‘new’ Putin. He also seemed to think VVP had misjudged this situation and may come a cropper. Hope springs eternal..
    I woud personally see 2008, and the South Ossetia business as the first conclusive sign of the "new" Putin. Disillusioned with the West, quietly seething about Iraq and his concerns about NATO being sidelined, and coming under pressure from his old Chechen friends to revert to authoritarian leadership. It was also exactly around 2008 that press freedom in Russia took a sudden dive, and a few months later the journalist Anna Politovskaya was murdered, probably by his henchmen from the Chechnya conflict again. The pattern seems to have been increasingly set after that.

It was also in 2008 that year that he released "learn Judo with Vladimir Putin." The cult of personality was underway.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,462

Sometimes war provides a moment of clarity. What this war has clarified is the idiocy of the Putin worshipers in the West. This group congregates on the far Left and the far Right. Those on the Left are perhaps more easily dealt with. Their idiocy isn't driven by their feelings towards Putin and Putinism primarily, but by an unbalanced hatred of Western capitalism and Western foreign policy, a bizarre inability to comprehend that, wile we are not perfect, we are not always the bad guy.
    I find those on the Right more concerning, because their Putin worship seems to be more genuine. They genuinely admire his strong man posturing, his muscular defence of Christian Europe, his attacks on Western decadence, Wokeness and the like. As though it is not precisely that mindset that has led him to this hideous, murderous assault on Ukraine.
    I hope that this grotesque admiration of this brutal, limited man and his toxic ideology will be the first casualty of this war.

Yes even in microcosm, the absence of the sinister Trumpton ‘Mr Ed’ on this forum is perhaps telling.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    tlg86 said:

Good on Napoli and Barcelona last night. Would be good to see this at all PL games this weekend and the EFL Cup Final:

I’m hoping the Liverpool fans are suitably noisy about Chelsea’s owner and have banners prepared so anyone watching globally get the message.

Related though, the bit of the UEFA statement that amused me about the move of the final to Paris (probably could have waited until after this round and give it to a country with no teams potentially in the final)….

"Uefa wishes to express its thanks and appreciation to French Republic President Emmanuel Macron for his personal support and commitment to have European club football’s most prestigious game moved to France at a time of unparalleled crisis.”

Who would have thought that Macron would move so quickly to secure a prestigious sporting event in Paris?

edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

I'll go with Finland.

I don't think it was fun being an ethnic German in Yugoslavia in the mid 1940s, of which there were quite a lot not linked to Nazism.

As for political enemies that I will admit I don't know.
    The liberating Red Army didn't like them either, AIUI; treated them rather like they did the Transylvanian Saxons,
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited February 2022
    "Russian and Ukrainian clubs and national teams competing in Uefa competitions will be required to play their home matches at neutral venues until further notice."

How you going to find a neutral venue?

Everybody hates Russia, everyone is behind Ukraine. Wherever you put it, the crowds will be 100% against the former and for the latter.

It reminds me of a match Wales played against the old USSR many years ago in one of the Southern provinces of the Soviet Union. Goodness knows why it was played there but since most of the Soviet team was, typically, from Moscow, the locals were four-square behind the Welsh. The stadium was packed. The Welsh could not have had better support if it had been Ninian Park.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Russian oil, handy dirrty Russian money. Trump. A disbelief that Putin would go the whole 9 yards.

Western leaders over the last 15 or so years can look at hemselves in the mirror and resign themselves that the hey could have averted this by some means or another
    And? I am blaming Western Leaders for the last fifteen years. Obama,, one could argue doing nothing in 2014, facitated the Putin backed Trump victory. Keep up!
    Agreed.

Though it's worth remembering that Putin's propaganda was far more effective back in 2014. Quite a few were arguing on his behalf that Crimea really was Russian anyway, and that it's being part of Ukraine was an anomaly. And some even accepted the tale of a popular uprising aided by the Russians rather than an armed land grab.

What's happening now is the destruction of a democracy and unprovoked military occupation of an independent state. That's obvious even to Russia's propagandised citizens.
    Sir Alex Younger (ex head of MI6) on R4 this am had an interesting take on Putin, that he had in fact changed over the years and current events are not the culmination of some decades-long strategy but the outcome of Putin’s current mindset. I guess 2014 could be seen as the first symptom of the ‘new’ Putin. He also seemed to think VVP had misjudged this situation and may come a cropper. Hope springs eternal..
    I woud personally see 2008, and the South Ossetia business as the first conclusive sign of the "new" Putin. Disillusioned with the West, quietly seething about Iraq and his concerns about NATO being sidelined, and coming under pressure from his old Chechen friends to revert to authoritarian leadership. It was also exactly around 2008 that press freedom in Russia took a sudden dive, and a few months later the journalist Anna Politovskaya was murdered, probably by his henchmen from the Chechnya conflict again. The pattern seems to have been increasingly set after that.

It was also in 2008 that year that he released "learn Judo with Vladimir Putin." The cult of personality was underway.
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely

One of the truest things ever said
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Agreed.

June 1999 NATO troops were beaten to Pristina airport by Russian Paratroopers in Kosovo, Russia was highly critical of the Kosovo intervention.... several weeks after that event Putin became Russian PM (under an ailing President) thats when the relationship soured
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052

HYUFD said:

Lol, Ukraine's tragedy is a Scottish Yoon's opportunity to whine about the Paddys.

Obviously the 2 are not directly comparable.

However nonetheless, the Republic of Ireland now calls itself Ireland thus making a claim to Northern Ireland. Throughout the Brexit talks the Republic of Ireland also worked with the EU to bring Northern Ireland into its orbit.

The main difference is Ireland would not invade Northern Ireland as Russia invaded Ukraine, not least as the UK has a bigger militarily than the Republic of Ireland has
    It’s like the GFA never happened. Of course for some it never did.

https://twitter.com/martinmcnally53/status/1496809403437228037?s=21
    The GFA only worked because it recognised the integrity of Northern Ireland and respected the Unionist community too.

• FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762

Was Macron sent to tell Putin?
  • Sometimes war provides a moment of clarity. What this war has clarified is the idiocy of the Putin worshipers in the West. This group congregates on the far Left and the far Right. Those on the Left are perhaps more easily dealt with. Their idiocy isn't driven by their feelings towards Putin and Putinism primarily, but by an unbalanced hatred of Western capitalism and Western foreign policy, a bizarre inability to comprehend that, wile we are not perfect, we are not always the bad guy.
    I find those on the Right more concerning, because their Putin worship seems to be more genuine. They genuinely admire his strong man posturing, his muscular defence of Christian Europe, his attacks on Western decadence, Wokeness and the like. As though it is not precisely that mindset that has led him to this hideous, murderous assault on Ukraine.
    I hope that this grotesque admiration of this brutal, limited man and his toxic ideology will be the first casualty of this war.

I’m basically an optimist. One really has no other option in the current circumstances. Things will get better. And we will learn.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

"Russian and Ukrainian clubs and national teams competing in Uefa competitions will be required to play their home matches at neutral venues until further notice."

Everybody hates Russia, everyone is behind Ukraine. Wherever you put it, the crowds will be 100% against the former and for the latter.

It reminds me of a match Wales played against the old USSR many years ago in one of the Southern provinces of the Soviet Union. Goodness knows why it was played there but since most of the Soviet team was, typically, from Moscow, the locals were four-square behind the Welsh. The stadium was packed. The Welsh could not have had better support if it had been Ninian Park.

This is making me hate Russia and Russians. And I’ve always liked Russia and Russians. I know we must divorce the government from the people but sometimes it is hard

Dictators are shite. Democracy is better. Such simple truths, that must be relearned with difficulty, every decade
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Mr. Dickson, do you think Scottish nationalism, which would've separated Scotland from both the UK and EU, would also have been a 'triumph for Putin'?

I suspect that Putin would encourage Sindy too, as he did with Brexit. A major theme of his foreign policy is to foment internal division in Western countries. Hence his troll farms being anti-woke too.

It doesn't invalidate the legitimacy of the issue, whether Brexit or Sindy, or BLM, but we should be aware of Putin's manipulations, and decide issues on their own merits.
    Putin also foments Wokeness, on the Woke side. Of course you fastidiously pretend otherwise
    Heck, Putin probably has a Reasonable Centrist Dad department in one of his troll farms. Sowing as many divisions as possible is what he does.
    Correct. Putin understands how to undermine liberal democracies and render them ineffectual against the likes of Russia and China.

He knows there will be no united or effective responsive to his invasion from the west and sadly he will be proved right. The fact we are talking about moving the Champions League final from St Petersburg as if this will strike a terrible blow to Russia indicates the paucity of the response.

The response is unlikely to be any better next time particularly if Trump makes it back to the White House and Germany is still dependent on Russian energy.

• "Russian and Ukrainian clubs and national teams competing in Uefa competitions will be required to play their home matches at neutral venues until further notice."

November 1981 Tbilisi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_–_UEFA_Group_3

Dynamo Tbilisi were a very strong team at that time.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Bannon. What a guy.

I genuinely don’t understand this mad Republican admiration for Putin and his deeds

Yes I think Putin is right on Wokeness, I also think Mussolini handled the Mafia well and Hitler was great at flag design. I can still see that they are all malign tyrants who generally do - or did - bad stuff.

Farage is the same. And Salmond. Some weird fanboi worship of brutal power. Is that it? Is that all it is?
    Putin pretends to be a Christian, is fervently nationalistic and hates gays. That's enough.
    Yes, as with Trump, many people don't really follow the details - they decide on superficial evidence if someone is their sort of guy and then dismiss criticism as biased or made-up. It's like left-wingers who thought Pol Pot was a good guy until the Vietnamese - hardly right-wingers themselves - decided they'd had enough of him. And right-wingers who deplored Vietnam's intervention because they were those commies who'd caused so much trouble for the US. See Alastair's piece for more on this sort of thinking.

Most people are more or less rational, and there does come a point where they do say hell, I can't support THIS. Most of the left is now vehemently anti-Putin - all the MPs who signed the equivocal Stop the War statement have now withdrawn their support, and McDonnell said last night that he's helping organise a demo outside the Russian Embassy tomorrow. Conversely, I know Republicans who remain viscerally anti-Democrat but simply will not tolerate the idea of voting for Trump.
    The extreme left in the Labour party who have supported STW and signed up to all their letters and petitions have for years agitated on the basis that almost everything aggressive about Russia is the fault of the USA, NATO and the UK.

Such as this on 22 Feb - three days ago

This dispute could and should be resolved peacefully, and that remains the only basis for a lasting settlement, rather than the imposition of military solutions. That it has not been resolved is not, however, the responsibility of the Russian or Ukrainian governments alone.

The conflict is the product of thirty years of failed policies, including the expansion of NATO and US hegemony at the expense of other countries as well as major wars of aggression by the USA, Britain and other NATO powers which have undermined international law and the United Nations.

The tragedy is that there are elements here that definitely have some basis, but they can't see the present imperative. The West definitely made errors that were not just defensive but also offensive, but Putin has been off on a course after that which was possibly unrecoverable for as much as 15 years now. Farage also doesn't know what he's talking about in mentioning 2014.

I think that is fair. The causes of the Second World War were set in the Treaty of Versailles, though it needed a Hitler to set Europe on fire.

The causes of this conflict go back to the West's response to the fall of the Soviet Union, though it needed a Putin to set Ukraine on fire.
  • boulay said:

tlg86 said:

I’m hoping the Liverpool fans are suitably noisy about Chelsea’s owner and have banners prepared so anyone watching globally get the message.

Related though, the bit of the UEFA statement that amused me about the move of the final to Paris (probably could have waited until after this round and give it to a country with no teams potentially in the final)….

"Uefa wishes to express its thanks and appreciation to French Republic President Emmanuel Macron for his personal support and commitment to have European club football’s most prestigious game moved to France at a time of unparalleled crisis.”

Who would have thought that Macron would move so quickly to secure a prestigious sporting event in Paris?

Please spit more venom in your posts. Most unherdlike to be so restrained.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Leon said:

This is making me hate Russia and Russians. And I’ve always liked Russia and Russians. I know we must divorce the government from the people but sometimes it is hard

Dictators are shite. Democracy is better. Such simple truths, that must be relearned with difficulty, every decade
    I think we can legitimately hold the Russian people responsible for the action of their leaders. I don't see any reason to let them off the hook so easily.
  • ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

I'll go with Finland.

Yes - lots.

And a nice little program of expelling anyone guilt of being a bit Italian from Yugoslavia - ethnic cleansing. Tidying up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijeka etc.....
    I knew about the murders and expulsions but not foreign assassinations of political enemies.
  • Leon said:

Seems that it needs to be relearned by the strong man fanbois a bit more frequently than every decade.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

we are better at HUMINT.

How do you know this?
    Because the rest of us realised that Putin would not be averted from war by the SHEER CULTURAL POWER OF THE CRÈME BRÛLÉE
    Aldi Creme Brulee (sod off with your poncy accented affectations) is remarkably good...
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Chris said:

Lol, Ukraine's tragedy is a Scottish Yoon's opportunity to whine about the Paddys.

Astonishing. Russia's actions towards Ukraine being likened to Ireland's historical actions towards Britain???

I'd have said making Putin look sane was an impossible task, but in comparison this does it.
    What an absolute bellend, he makes Foreskin almost sound sensible.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Agreed.

June 1999 NATO troops were beaten to Pristina airport by Russian Paratroopers in Kosovo, Russia was highly critical of the Kosovo intervention.... several weeks after that event Putin became Russian PM (under an ailing President) thats when the relationship soured
    Serbia was a long, long time ally of Russia.

The Greater Russian Nationalists saw the Yugoslav Wars in terms of their ally Serbia, doing the tough work of keeping that part of the world for the Slavs.

The gradual pushing back of Serbia (and the broader Serb community) and the eventual defeat of the Greater Serbian Nationalists, was seen as yet another humiliation for Russia.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,762
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

we are better at HUMINT.

How do you know this?
    Because the rest of us realised that Putin would not be averted from war by the SHEER CULTURAL POWER OF THE CRÈME BRÛLÉE
    Aldi Creme Brulee (sod off with your poncy accented affectations) is remarkably good...
    If Putin is captured, we could make Cock au Vin, although it would only be a small helping.
  • Sometimes war provides a moment of clarity. What this war has clarified is the idiocy of the Putin worshipers in the West. This group congregates on the far Left and the far Right. Those on the Left are perhaps more easily dealt with. Their idiocy isn't driven by their feelings towards Putin and Putinism primarily, but by an unbalanced hatred of Western capitalism and Western foreign policy, a bizarre inability to comprehend that, wile we are not perfect, we are not always the bad guy.

There are certainly different aspects of the political right - authoritarian right, business right, conservative right and libertarian right being some of them.

Its certainly an indictment of the GOP failings in government (and perhaps US society in general) pre Trump that it allowed such an opportunity for Trump.
  • Mr. Malmesbury, pre-Communism, it was thought that the Tsar would've protected Montenegro, post-war, from the aggressive expansion of Serbia.
  • Leon said:

I cannot hate the Russian people, they are victims in this as well

We must concentrate all our energy to rid the world of Putin and his acolytes
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215

Sometimes war provides a moment of clarity. What this war has clarified is the idiocy of the Putin worshipers in the West. This group congregates on the far Left and the far Right. Those on the Left are perhaps more easily dealt with. Their idiocy isn't driven by their feelings towards Putin and Putinism primarily, but by an unbalanced hatred of Western capitalism and Western foreign policy, a bizarre inability to comprehend that, wile we are not perfect, we are not always the bad guy.

Yes even in microcosm, the absence of the sinister Trumpton ‘Mr Ed’ on this forum is perhaps telling.
    It isn't particularly helpful trying to make all this about petty culture war related disputes. I could write similar posts ridiculing the 'woke' left for being obsessed with things that happened British history that supposedly make us sinners beyond redemption, whilst taking little interest in Putin and other present day tyrants. It isn't the day for that, though.

The reality is that a lot of people on both left and right misread the nature of the Russian regime, sometimes people make mistakes and that is life. We can now all see it for what it is, and there are very few defenders of it today.
  • Leon said:

When did Russia ever have even half-decent Government?

You'd have to be going back to the Tsars and my knowledge of them is very thin.

MattW said:

Leon said:

Dura_Ace said:

we are better at HUMINT.

How do you know this?
    If Putin is captured, we could make Cock au Vin, although it would only be a small helping.
    He's not at the front line because he's not brave enough, so he's a Chicken Kyiv.
  • Not sure why the markets have rebounded a little this morning.

• EPGEPG Posts: 6,639
    OllyT said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Mr. Dickson, do you think Scottish nationalism, which would've separated Scotland from both the UK and EU, would also have been a 'triumph for Putin'?

I suspect that Putin would encourage Sindy too, as he did with Brexit. A major theme of his foreign policy is to foment internal division in Western countries. Hence his troll farms being anti-woke too.

It doesn't invalidate the legitimacy of the issue, whether Brexit or Sindy, or BLM, but we should be aware of Putin's manipulations, and decide issues on their own merits.
    Putin also foments Wokeness, on the Woke side. Of course you fastidiously pretend otherwise
    Heck, Putin probably has a Reasonable Centrist Dad department in one of his troll farms. Sowing as many divisions as possible is what he does.
    He knows there will be no united or effective responsive to his invasion from the west and sadly he will be proved right. The fact we are talking about moving the Champions League final from St Petersburg as if this will strike a terrible blow to Russia indicates the paucity of the response.
    There has been a united effective response. Everyone is united in wanting to make life miserable for the Russian elite for the next few years. This is the only sustainable solution albeit less quick and emotionally satisfying that firing a gun. Everyone is also united in not wanting a war with a nuclear superpower (except Ben Wallace).
  • Omnium said:

Leon said:

I think we can legitimately hold the Russian people responsible for the action of their leaders. I don't see any reason to let them off the hook so easily.
    No, Russia is not a democracy, and it is unlikely that Putin would be in power now if it was. He does not have widespread popular support in Russia for his actions. I think we can only legitimately hold Russian people with wealth and power responsible for the action of their leaders. I do not think that we can hold responsible those brave Russians who are protesting today at the actions of their regime.

ydoethur said:

Dura_Ace said:

MattW said:

JACK_W said:

I'll go with Finland.

Yes - lots.

I knew about the murders and expulsions but not foreign assassinations of political enemies.
    Mostly they tended to make the mistake of returning to Yugoslavia and got the classic trial+plus+pre+ordered+bullet that revolutionaries so love....

There were fair number of suspicious deaths/murders among the exiles, though.
  • Mr. Punter, one of the few things I know of the Tsars is that Nicholas II was hamstrung by his father deliberately not teaching him how to rule until he was older. Except his father died sooner than he anticipated...

Leon said:

Most of them were pretty shit as well. About the only ones who were half decent were Alexander II, Catherine II and Peter the Great - and the last two were a right nasty pair who just happened to be competent rulers. Alexander II, meanwhile, tried his best but was a bit of a muppet. Unforgettably, he was assassinated when he shouted out loud that he was fine and perfectly safe following the first attempt, causing the assassin to throw a second bomb which worked.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Not sure why the markets have rebounded a little this morning.

It's looking like it's going to be a short war.

boulay said:

tlg86 said:

Hahahaha! You utter hypocritical twat.

If it had been Boris securing the Champions league final you would have been on spouting your usual crap against the English.
    EPG said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

There has been a united effective response. Everyone is united in wanting to make life miserable for the Russian elite for the next few years. This is the only sustainable solution albeit less quick and emotionally satisfying that firing a gun. Everyone is also united in not wanting a war with a nuclear superpower (except Ben Wallace).
    Ummm, Ben Wallace was in a joint interview on R4 this morning with a Ukrainian parliamentarian where he was saying precisely that he does not want NATO troops or no fly zone in Ukraine because he does not want it to escalate into a major war with Russia.

Leon said:

The https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Provisional_Government appear not to have a been a shower of lunatic arseholes....
    edited February 2022

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Agreed.

After 9-11 that did strongly change, though. He made very pro-Western statements by Russian standards, and helped the US use to post-Soviet bases, as mentioned a couple of days ago.

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/09/10/ar911.russia.putin/index.html

After that, he felt that he had got very little in return ,and that Iraq was a slap in the face not only to him but the existing global order. His point of view on that had some merit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/09/10/ar911.russia.putin/index.html

Angry, disillusioned, bitter, encouraged by his Chechen hardmen to stamp down his authority, all these things seemed to have helped convince him to return to the old autocrat inside, and the longstanding Russian approach. Game over all the way back in 2008, or even 2007, I think.

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    Lavrov is just as bonkers as Putin. Ranting on about banning English in countries such as Ireland and what the western reaction would be, ranting about Anglo Saxons, Ukrainian government are Nazis..

Struggling hard to justify the invasion

Omnium said:

Leon said:

No, Russia is not a democracy, and it is unlikely that Putin would be in power now if it was. He does not have widespread popular support in Russia for his actions. I think we can only legitimately hold Russian people with wealth and power responsible for the action of their leaders. I do not think that we can hold responsible those brave Russians who are protesting today at the actions of their regime.
    I understand, and I certainly don't have anything but goodwill towards the Russian people. Nonetheless I still think that we should look to make life hard for all of them. (I admit the parallels with Iran, for example, isn't encouraging)
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

The sinking of the submarine Kursk for me way back in 2000. Given that the narrative for much of the 90s had been that we now had friendly relations with Russia, even if we were not yet allied, the Russian reaction to Western offers of help was quite revealing. Now I didn't instantly realise where it would lead, but that was when I started to feel that maybe Russia was not as friendly as we were being told.
    LOL, how low can you get when even the Taliban think you are a wrong un
  • Liverpool should wear their third strip on Sunday

• algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Bannon. What a guy.

I genuinely don’t understand this mad Republican admiration for Putin and his deeds

Yes I think Putin is right on Wokeness, I also think Mussolini handled the Mafia well and Hitler was great at flag design. I can still see that they are all malign tyrants who generally do - or did - bad stuff.

Farage is the same. And Salmond. Some weird fanboi worship of brutal power. Is that it? Is that all it is?
    Putin pretends to be a Christian, is fervently nationalistic and hates gays. That's enough.
    Yes, as with Trump, many people don't really follow the details - they decide on superficial evidence if someone is their sort of guy and then dismiss criticism as biased or made-up. It's like left-wingers who thought Pol Pot was a good guy until the Vietnamese - hardly right-wingers themselves - decided they'd had enough of him. And right-wingers who deplored Vietnam's intervention because they were those commies who'd caused so much trouble for the US. See Alastair's piece for more on this sort of thinking.

Most people are more or less rational, and there does come a point where they do say hell, I can't support THIS. Most of the left is now vehemently anti-Putin - all the MPs who signed the equivocal Stop the War statement have now withdrawn their support, and McDonnell said last night that he's helping organise a demo outside the Russian Embassy tomorrow. Conversely, I know Republicans who remain viscerally anti-Democrat but simply will not tolerate the idea of voting for Trump.
    The extreme left in the Labour party who have supported STW and signed up to all their letters and petitions have for years agitated on the basis that almost everything aggressive about Russia is the fault of the USA, NATO and the UK.

This dispute could and should be resolved peacefully, and that remains the only basis for a lasting settlement, rather than the imposition of military solutions. That it has not been resolved is not, however, the responsibility of the Russian or Ukrainian governments alone.

The conflict is the product of thirty years of failed policies, including the expansion of NATO and US hegemony at the expense of other countries as well as major wars of aggression by the USA, Britain and other NATO powers which have undermined international law and the United Nations.

The tragedy is that there are elements here that definitely have some basis, but they can't see the present imperative. The West definitely made errors that were not just defensive but also offensive, but Putin has been off on a course after that which was possibly unrecoverable for as much as 15 years now. Farage also doesn't know what he's talking about in mentioning 2014.

I think that is fair. The causes of the Second World War were set in the Treaty of Versailles, though it needed a Hitler to set Europe on fire.

The causes of this conflict go back to the West's response to the fall of the Soviet Union, though it needed a Putin to set Ukraine on fire.
    Yes. The West made a series of dreadful errors in the years following the fall of the Wall.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    edited February 2022
    its a depressing fact of modern life and media that we have short attention spans - This forum was full of ideas and angst when the Taleban captured Afghanistan - now nobody gives it a moments thought (even on here) and its what only a few months since that ?.Ukraine will go the same way . Life and politics moves on very quickly in the 21st century

long may it continue, hopefully US does same this afternoon.
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I understand, and I certainly don't have anything but goodwill towards the Russian people. Nonetheless I still think that we should look to make life hard for all of them. (I admit the parallels with Iran, for example, isn't encouraging)
    It would be hard to find a government and nation more structurally, intellectually and temperamentally suited to bypassing sanctions than Russia. Just about anybody in a position of any power is a scheming criminal to start with.
  • Farooq said:

its a depressing fact of modern life and media that we have short attention spans - This forum was full of ideas and angst when the Taleban captured Afghanistan - now nobody gives it a moments thought (even on here) and its what only a few months since that ?.Ukraine will go the same way . Life and politics moves on very quickly in the 21st century

Sorry, I didn't make it past "modern life". I hope the rest of the post was good though.
    er?

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Bannon. What a guy.

Yes. The West made a series of dreadful errors in the years following the fall of the Wall.
    Sorry, just replied to an earlier message of yours and it came across as rude and hostile when was supposed to be more joshing. My apologies.
    Dura_Ace said:

Hold on didn't the Ukrainians retake the key airfield or some such ?
  • Meanwhile, in "good days to bury bad news" news, here's the effect of those student loan changes. Ugh. Just ugh.

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1497124959440756737?s=20&t=OS6pr39W7ijBMzoBJ_yEYg

(And possibly pretty foolish. I can't prove it, but I suspect that tendrils of the government employ a lot of the lower-paid graduates.)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    Leon said:

Genuinely tear-jerking short thread by a guy who walked from Ukraine to Poland. My god. We must help

https://twitter.com/ukrainelive2022/status/1497106536828710912?s=21

For those who want to, here are some suggestions.
    https://snyder.substack.com/p/a-few-ways-to-help-ukrainians?utm_source=url
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited February 2022

Sanctions aren't as severe as markets 'feared'.

But I doubt any rally will be sustained.
    boulay said:

boulay said:

tlg86 said:

Hahahaha! You utter hypocritical twat.

If it had been Boris securing the Champions league final you would have been on spouting your usual crap against the English.
    EPG said:

OllyT said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Ummm, Ben Wallace was in a joint interview on R4 this morning with a Ukrainian parliamentarian where he was saying precisely that he does not want NATO troops or no fly zone in Ukraine because he does not want it to escalate into a major war with Russia.
    Boris would have wanted paid to take the final, trumped by Macron yet again.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Mr. Punter, one of the few things I know of the Tsars is that Nicholas II was hamstrung by his father deliberately not teaching him how to rule until he was older. Except his father died sooner than he anticipated...

Pretty common occurrence, even by otherwise great rulers.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052

Meanwhile, in "good days to bury bad news" news, here's the effect of those student loan changes. Ugh. Just ugh.

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1497124959440756737?s=20&t=OS6pr39W7ijBMzoBJ_yEYg

(And possibly pretty foolish. I can't prove it, but I suspect that tendrils of the government employ a lot of the lower-paid graduates.)

You don't start to repay until earning over £25k and continue repayments into your 50s now as that is the age of highest earning
    malcolmg said:

LOL, how low can you get when even the Taliban think you are a wrong un
    Given the way the Soviets, when in in Afghanistan, treated Islamist 'rebels' that is, surely, quite generous.
    Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who the fuck knows what's going on. The Ukranians are completely overmatched in every way though and getting fuck all help of any worth.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    Farooq said:

Sorry, I didn't make it past "modern life". I hope the rest of the post was good though.
    That's the second post of yours that's made LOL. The first was comparing a picture of Boris to a Zika baby.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886

Lavrov is just as bonkers as Putin. Ranting on about banning English in countries such as Ireland and what the western reaction would be, ranting about Anglo Saxons, Ukrainian government are Nazis..

Struggling hard to justify the invasion

LOL. A relation of Mons. Macron?

French set to replace English as EU’s ‘working language’
    Notes, minutes, letters and meetings will be ‘French-first’ when France takes over European Council’s presidency

In an article for Le Figaro, they said the use of French in Brussels “had diminished to the benefit of English, and more often to Globish – that ersatz of the English language, which narrows the scope of one’s thoughts, and restricts one’s ability to express him or herself”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-france-eu-french-english-b1861087.html
  • Leon said:

Aren't the Czars which are held in high regard the military expansionist ones - Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Catherine the Great ?
  • Latvian Minister of Defence and Deputy Prime Minister on the BBC just now furious with Germany, Italy and others over swift and effectively saying only the UK - US and the Baltic States are providing real help to Ukraine
  • its a depressing fact of modern life and media that we have short attention spans - This forum was full of ideas and angst when the Taleban captured Afghanistan - now nobody gives it a moments thought (even on here) and its what only a few months since that ?.Ukraine will go the same way . Life and politics moves on very quickly in the 21st century

Depressingly, short of a nuclear exchange, you’re probably right.
    However it’s good to see that the excitable types who were calling Kabul a second Saigon and the Taliban the new Khmer Rouge have learned their lesson and are now dialling it down.
    Dura_Ace said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

It would be hard to find a government and nation more structurally, intellectually and temperamentally suited to bypassing sanctions than Russia. Just about anybody in a position of any power is a scheming criminal to start with.
    Yes. That's why the pressure had to be broad-based. That criminal wealth spreads a long way.

Everything has to be done to encourage the Russians to undo this.

• HYUFD said:

Meanwhile, in "good days to bury bad news" news, here's the effect of those student loan changes. Ugh. Just ugh.

You don't start to repay until earning over £25k and continue repayments into your 50s now as that is the age of highest earning
    I think it looks pretty reasonable (the new changes ) .My suspicion on Higher Education though is not the financing bu the quality of teaching and VFM for tuition fees - Covid seems to have given universities an excuse to degrade the quality without reducing fees

Leon said:

Aren't the Czars which are held in high regard the military expansionist ones - Ivan the Terrible, Peter the Great, Catherine the Great ?
    You could add Elizabeth, I suppose, who is better remembered for her education reforms.

But generally the Tsars were a pretty rubbish bunch. Nicholas II is one of those were historians, trying to find a positive, can only think of one - 'good husband.'
  • Good (as much as can be) morning everyone.

Not been following today's news but if I understand right that Germany and Italy are blocking Russia's expulsion from SWIFT then that is an utter disgrace.

They've sold their souls for Russian gas it seems and need to get it back Swiftly.

Apologies if I've misunderstood.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Most of them were pretty shit as well. About the only ones who were half decent were Alexander II, Catherine II and Peter the Great - and the last two were a right nasty pair who just happened to be competent rulers. Alexander II, meanwhile, tried his best but was a bit of a muppet. Unforgettably, he was assassinated when he shouted out loud that he was fine and perfectly safe following the first attempt, causing the assassin to throw a second bomb which worked.
    Yes. Alex II and Gorbachev are probably the only two who were compus mentis and at least trying to do well.
  • Mr. Doethur, don't they benefit by comparison with what followed?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Leon said:

Most effective rulers seem to have been bastards, though not all bastards were effective. Without being so you might lose all authority.
  • boulay said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Bannon. What a guy.

Sorry, just replied to an earlier message of yours and it came across as rude and hostile when was supposed to be more joshing. My apologies.
    No worries. Rude and hostile tends to be a default around here. I’m sure we’re all lovely people in real life. Except Sean.
    Dura_Ace said:

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who the fuck knows what's going on. The Ukranians are completely overmatched in every way though and getting fuck all help of any worth.
    Well, clearly you do as that seems a very succinct summary of the situation.

Ultimately, the whole Western strategy on Ukraine was to stop the Russian invasion happening by making it impossible for them to claim a casus belli. Which might have worked insofar as Putin isn't invading because of Ukraine's actions, but to demonstrate he can. But it hasn't stopped the invasion and short of a dramatic collapse in the Russian army there isn't much hope that Ukraine can repel it.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Liverpool should wear their third strip on Sunday

because its yellow? one of the colers on the Ukrainian flag?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Bannon. What a guy.

Too busy high fiving and filling our boots with lucre to make any other plans.

Mr. Doethur, don't they benefit by comparison with what followed?

Well, there was a certain nostalgia for their rule under Lenin and Stalin, who were far more tyrannical.

However, there wasn't much at the time.
  • algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Bannon. What a guy.

No, in the light of this week's events it is very clear that the likes of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland were justified in seeking the benefit of collective security within NATO membership, and NATO was right to extend their security guarantee accordingly, because had they not those states would clearly be next on Putin's list. Just as they were on Stalin's list when they were last invaded by Russia in 1939/40. It is not about Western "hegemony", it is about giving democratic states the right to peacefully exist through agreements that guarantee their security against a hostile expansionist dictatorship.
    We hear repeatedly that Russia is 'entitled' to its security demands being met but the same people don't seem interested in how that might affect the security of Russia's neighbours.

Its bizarre.

Consider which is the most likely:

Russia attacking Finland or Finland attacking Russia.
    Russia attacking Estonia or Estonia attacking Russia.
    Russia attacking Latvia or Latvia attacking Russia.

Ditto all the way down to Georgia.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    Leon said:

This is making me hate Russia and Russians. And I’ve always liked Russia and Russians. I know we must divorce the government from the people but sometimes it is hard...
    Zelensky has managed, even in the midst of this.
    Russians in Kyiv apparently.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Most effective rulers seem to have been bastards, though not all bastards were effective. Without being so you might lose all authority.
    Henry VI. Lovely man. Devoted to his people. Opposed to torture and execution. Tried to avoid heavy taxes. Notable for not fighting many wars (and losing both the ones he did).

Deposed and murdered by the age of 50.
This discussion has been closed.