Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Great question to the PM from Sky’s Beth Rigby – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chameleon said:

Body language experts will analyse that VT to death in years to come. Despair and reticence in their posture, despite so vociferously backing the annexation of Crimea just years before. Putin's ambitions go far beyond Ukraine, yet their posture speaks of a lack of confidence to be able to successfully subjugate 40m Ukrainians. There's a chance that the conscript bodybags/ashes coming back may do for Putin.
    If someone had, say, a low earth orbit satellite with some deniable psuedo meteorites on board, is it time to drop one in his direction now? What would his replacement do?

He doesn't seem to be playing chess in the Russian style. It is definitely more Three Pawns Gambit than Giuoco Piano.

It occurred to me that he might be ill and rushing to create some kind of legacy, although that's probably over thinking it.
    This is a hilarious suggestion, so I thought I'd do some calculations.

Let's say the "meteorite" is a solid iron ball, 5 metres in diameter. This would weigh some 500 tonnes; an object of that weight would be exceptionally difficult to get into orbit - the shuttle was able to take about 30 tonnes payload.
    The iron would then need to be flung at the earth. Given terminal velocity in air is likely to be a few hundred metres per second, there's no point in throwing it much harder, even if you could (spoiler, you can't). Let's say you SOMEHOW manage to fire this badboy 300 metres per second. It will hit the ground at a bit less than that, approx 220 metres per second. And for maximum impact, let's say it was travelling straight down, that's how you get the biggest crater.
    Give all those parameters, you need to be astonishingly accurate. The crater would be less than 50m is diameter. Meaning you have to get your shot in within 25m of the target from a distance of say 700km (mid range of low-earth orbit). That is the equivalent of throwing a dart from the London Eye and hitting the bullseye of a dartboard on the clock face of the Elizabeth Tower.

If you miss your target, which you will, even a near miss will leave the target basically unharmed. Even hitting the "dartboard", getting the rock 500m from your target, would only be enough to maybe blow out the glass in the building from the air shock. The target will experience a seismic shock equivalent to 0.9 on the Richter scale. That is, unfeelable. The air shock will be as loud as a busy road, 65dB. If you're super lucky, Putin will get a bit of dust in his eye which will get infected and he'll go blind. Half blind.

All in all, it sounds like a spectacularly inefficient way of pissing someone off. It certainly wouldn't get the job done of calming or ending him.
    You laugh, but the US Air Force seriously considered the idea. "Rods from God" was the popular name.

Not very deniable, though. If you blew something up with a tungsten rod dropped from low earth orbit, the proportion of tungsten in the ruins might be a bit of a giveaway, and everyone knows where the satellites are, "secret" or otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_bombardment
    Yes, the idea has also been explored in science fiction, like The Expanse, and an Iain M Banks book (I forget which one).
    But there are easier ways given our current state of orbital vehicle capacity and the sheer mind-numbing difficulty of it. I mean, how do you even account for your missile drifting in the wind through 10+km of atmosphere?
    Well, in theory they could be steerable, if your steering mechanism could survive re-entry at Mach 10. The problem being that anything not made of tungsten would no doubt melt pretty quickly.

But it was a jest really, a more amusing way of saying 'if you could push a button to eliminate Putin with no obvious cause, would it help'?

Any attempt to take him out is going to be from much closer range. Although he does seem keen on keeping even his own generals at rather more than arms length.

Does he have a chef?
    The iron ball wouldn't melt at the speeds I was talking about too.
    But Mach 10 is unfathomably fast. I can't quite picture how you'd have the energy to accelerate something to that speed from earth's orbit. You could certainly do some mad trajectory round the sun, but that's going to kill your accuracy, you'd even need to be allowing for relativistic effects. You'd probably end up hitting Kyiv by mistake.

As for other methods, that's what Putin has got to fear. Since he won't be voted out (Russia rigs elections), any change in opinion polling won't cause him any fright. What am I trying to say here? No VI shock for Putin, that's what.
    You are already doing nearly 8km/s if you are in low earth orbit!

I'd have to get the calculator out for what speed you'd get for an object dropped from geostationary orbit, but as you'd only be able to land items on or near the equator, you couldn't have much fun with it.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chameleon said:

Body language experts will analyse that VT to death in years to come. Despair and reticence in their posture, despite so vociferously backing the annexation of Crimea just years before. Putin's ambitions go far beyond Ukraine, yet their posture speaks of a lack of confidence to be able to successfully subjugate 40m Ukrainians. There's a chance that the conscript bodybags/ashes coming back may do for Putin.
    If someone had, say, a low earth orbit satellite with some deniable psuedo meteorites on board, is it time to drop one in his direction now? What would his replacement do?

He doesn't seem to be playing chess in the Russian style. It is definitely more Three Pawns Gambit than Giuoco Piano.

It occurred to me that he might be ill and rushing to create some kind of legacy, although that's probably over thinking it.

Let's say the "meteorite" is a solid iron ball, 5 metres in diameter. This would weigh some 500 tonnes; an object of that weight would be exceptionally difficult to get into orbit - the shuttle was able to take about 30 tonnes payload.
    The iron would then need to be flung at the earth. Given terminal velocity in air is likely to be a few hundred metres per second, there's no point in throwing it much harder, even if you could (spoiler, you can't). Let's say you SOMEHOW manage to fire this badboy 300 metres per second. It will hit the ground at a bit less than that, approx 220 metres per second. And for maximum impact, let's say it was travelling straight down, that's how you get the biggest crater.
    Give all those parameters, you need to be astonishingly accurate. The crater would be less than 50m is diameter. Meaning you have to get your shot in within 25m of the target from a distance of say 700km (mid range of low-earth orbit). That is the equivalent of throwing a dart from the London Eye and hitting the bullseye of a dartboard on the clock face of the Elizabeth Tower.

If you miss your target, which you will, even a near miss will leave the target basically unharmed. Even hitting the "dartboard", getting the rock 500m from your target, would only be enough to maybe blow out the glass in the building from the air shock. The target will experience a seismic shock equivalent to 0.9 on the Richter scale. That is, unfeelable. The air shock will be as loud as a busy road, 65dB. If you're super lucky, Putin will get a bit of dust in his eye which will get infected and he'll go blind. Half blind.

All in all, it sounds like a spectacularly inefficient way of pissing someone off. It certainly wouldn't get the job done of calming or ending him.
    You laugh, but the US Air Force seriously considered the idea. "Rods from God" was the popular name.

Not very deniable, though. If you blew something up with a tungsten rod dropped from low earth orbit, the proportion of tungsten in the ruins might be a bit of a giveaway, and everyone knows where the satellites are, "secret" or otherwise.

Yes, the idea has also been explored in science fiction, like The Expanse, and an Iain M Banks book (I forget which one).
    But there are easier ways given our current state of orbital vehicle capacity and the sheer mind-numbing difficulty of it. I mean, how do you even account for your missile drifting in the wind through 10+km of atmosphere?
    Well, in theory they could be steerable, if your steering mechanism could survive re-entry at Mach 10. The problem being that anything not made of tungsten would no doubt melt pretty quickly.

It was just an attempt at a more amusing way of asking 'if you could push a button to eliminate Putin with no obvious cause, would it help'?

Any real attempt to take him out is going to be from much closer range. Although he does seem keen on keeping even his own generals at rather more than arms length.

Does he have a chef?
    If the chef can be nobbled, poisoning might be too traceable. So exploding sausages would be better.

Nobble the cleaner, Toxic table polish. He would be breathing in a mother lode of that. If it takes out Macron at the same time, well, never mind.

“Those who the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad.” So we don’t destroy him, we just get people to think he’s gone mad. Nobble his script writer so he gives a state of the nation full of fantasy history and daft yet dangerous ramblings (this plan might already be in operation)

Borrowing “who me?” the Americans worked on in the Second World War, destroy Putin’s seat of power using fake flatulence.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chameleon said:

It was just an attempt at a more amusing way of asking 'if you could push a button to eliminate Putin with no obvious cause, would it help'?

Any real attempt to take him out is going to be from much closer range. Although he does seem keen on keeping even his own generals at rather more than arms length.

Does he have a chef?
    If the chef can be nobbled, poisoning might be too traceable. So exploding sausages would be better.

Nobble the cleaner, Toxic table polish. He would be breathing in a mother lode of that. If it takes out Macron at the same time, well, never mind.

“Those who the Gods wish to destroy they first make mad.” So we don’t destroy him, we just get people to think he’s gone mad. Nobble his script writer so he gives a state of the nation full of fantasy history and daft yet dangerous ramblings (this plan might already be in operation)

Borrowing “who me?” the Americans worked on in the Second World War, destroy Putin’s seat of power using fake flatulence.
    There was a rather disturbing report on CBS here in the US about the “Havana Syndrome” case, which the CIA are pretty sure is caused by a directed microwave weapon, they just can’t pin it on any particular state actor, although the shortlist of those capable is pretty short and includes the Rossikaya Federatsiya. So if Putin was to come down with an acute case of it, the Russians could only really blame it on the US by admitting they have these weapons but it wasn’t them. /s
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    If you want to hurt Putin, do not merely sanction his friends, kill his friends. Relatively soft targets, love to travel abroad. Often body guarded but that's dealable with.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    Now that Russian formations are officially operating in the breakaway republics, expect an 'attack' on them, thus necessitating a Russian response against the Ukrainian military.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    As the Russian army marches into Ukraine, I hope the PB scum that accused everyone demanding more serious ultimatums of warmongering see what they have done. You are all human filth.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    How Russia Today sees it.

"Details of Russia-Donbass cooperation treaty emerge
    Agreements with newly recognized Donetsk and Lugansk include military cooperation"

https://www.rt.com/russia/550186-russia-donbass-cooperation-treaty/
  • PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191

Beth Rigby asking about "gun ho" politicians - is she suggesting Boris is in a crack den with an Uzi and his bitches?

That might just get the letters going in.....

A singular street ho surely? Here's a conundrum, what would be the plural of a ho? Hos or hoes?
    It's gung ho not gun ho.

Second World War: from Chinese gōnghé, taken to mean ‘work together’ and adopted as a slogan by US Marines.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,350
    May 22-2-22 bring luck to Ukraine, as well as to the rest of us!
    edited February 2022
    carnforth said:
    Yes!

There isn’t much to do there, my very brief trip dates from the time when to change visa in the UAE meant leaving the country and returning, KIsh being one of the nearest destinations where you could do that, thanks to them having no visa rules themselves. I had my passport stamped in, then waited to get back on the same plane returning to Dubai.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Lol at this:

What followed next was widely considered as a return to normality. Economy started recovering, inflation decreased to only 84% (previously it could be as high as 2700% per year).

Puts our inflation into perspective.
    tlg86 said:

Lol at this:

What followed next was widely considered as a return to normality. Economy started recovering, inflation decreased to only 84% (previously it could be as high as 2700% per year).

Puts our inflation into perspective.
    Watching the reaction of a whole generation of Westerners under about 35, who have only ever really known interest rates at 0.5% and inflation at 2%, to a little bit of inflation as the pandemic shakes out, can be rather amusing at times.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,625
    It’s far from a great question. Restrictions being lifted now are fine. In line with other nations.
  • Aslan said:

As the Russian army marches into Ukraine, I hope the PB scum that accused everyone demanding more serious ultimatums of warmongering see what they have done. You are all human filth.

Rude reaction aside what more serious ultimatum did you want? Speaking for myself I support the line on Russian aggression so far and it's hard to see how it could be stronger without risking a shooting war.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,140
    Taz said:

It’s far from a great question. Restrictions being lifted now are fine. In line with other nations.

All questions against the government are 'great' is the new PB mantra..
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

Rude reaction aside what more serious ultimatum did you want? Speaking for myself I support the line on Russian aggression so far and it's hard to see how it could be stronger without risking a shooting war.
    To be clear: the side 'risking a shooting war' is Russia. The country that has invaded another sovereign country.

You know, the country doing the shooting.

So what is your answer to save Ukraine and the other eastern European states from domination by evil?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    IanB2 said:

carnforth said:

IanB2 said:

@Leon Lake Bohinj, Slovenia.

Leave the crowds at Lake Bled and enjoy mountains, meadows and waterfalls.

The bit of Croatia up by the Hungarian border is supposed to be amazing
    By the way, does anyone know why flying to Croatia is so expensive? Ryanair will do £20 to Zagreb, but all the London <-> Split and London <-> Dubrovnik flights, even with changes at Zagreb are about £200 return… was this true before Covid?
    As non-EU their flights aren’t subsidised by the EU regional airports fund. Hence you’re actually simply paying the right price?
    That can't be right. You can fly to Kiev on Ryanair for £4 next week!
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    darkage said:

IanB2 said:

carnforth said:

IanB2 said:

@Leon Lake Bohinj, Slovenia.

Leave the crowds at Lake Bled and enjoy mountains, meadows and waterfalls.

The bit of Croatia up by the Hungarian border is supposed to be amazing
    By the way, does anyone know why flying to Croatia is so expensive? Ryanair will do £20 to Zagreb, but all the London <-> Split and London <-> Dubrovnik flights, even with changes at Zagreb are about £200 return… was this true before Covid?
    As non-EU their flights aren’t subsidised by the EU regional airports fund. Hence you’re actually simply paying the right price?
    That can't be right. You can fly to Kiev on Ryanair for £4 next week!
    How much extra does it cost to bring your AK-47 as hand luggage? Asking for a friend.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Tik tok...

Russian peacekeeping troops on their way to the Donbass Republic...

I see that finally, people are noticing that Putin is a Greater Russian Nationalist.

Bit late. But hey.....
    Just a street thug with grandiose pretentions.
    That's what they all are.

Sta- that is literally what he was
    Saddam Hussein - who liked to bang on about how he was the inheritor (and leader) of Bathtub Arab National Socialism.
    Mao - literally. Murdered bags of the intellectual commies to get the top spot.
    Mussolini - say no more
    Hitler - the archetype.

In fact the closest we had to a cultured dictator with actual intellect was D'Annunzio - and he only ran Fiume for a bit....
    I wish that were the case but it is not

Nearly all of those you cite were cunning and intelligent.

Stalin was brutally good at wielding power and fear, and fencing off his own emotions

Mao was a kind of genius, eg he knew just went to unleash the Cultural Revolution - then stop it

Hitler was a super orator (albeit florid for Anglo-Saxon tastes) and also a very gifted political operator in the round: the Swastika flag was his, and it is possibly the greatest piece of vexillological design in history

Mussolini was a thuggish, stupider copycat of d'Annunzio, agreed, and Hussein was just mafioso

But there is no point in denying some of these men had great talents. They just used them for evil purposes
    D'Annunzio was a failure in the long term.

Fiume is now the Croat city of Rijeka...
    They were all failures. The truly perceptive people who met them all spoke of a veneer of sophistication over the street thug.
    Such an observation opens up considerable scope to expand the original list.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    DavidL said:

Are restrictions being eased too early?

No.

Next.

Are you anxious?

Of course. It’s a judgement call - the right one but nothing in life is certain

* except death and taxes. And nurses. Allegedly
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    felix said:

Taz said:

It seems especially puzzling that Beth Rigby is so lauded, given her history of COVID rule breaking.

It is like Pinocchio rebuking Boris Johnson over telling lies.

And then pb.com squeals, great work, Pinocchio !
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    I don’t know why everyone is so bothered - as far as my life is concerned covid has been over for months now. Everything is already back to normal.

I even say this as an immune suppressed person.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    edited February 2022
    Putin certainly has a nice collection of late-20th century phones.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

EXTREMELY OFF TOPIC QUESTION FOR PB-ERS

But maybe we need some cheering distraction

The Dildo Knapper's Gazette wants to send me write about flintwork in some corner of Europe, Australia or north America that they feel has been unjustly neglected by travellers

Does anyone have any ideas?

I've just been looking at the list of national parks in Europe for some inspiration. There are 500 or more, most of which I've barely or never heard of

eg these new ones in France:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forêts_National_Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calanques_National_Park

How many others must be out there? -

Italy has a zillion national parks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollino_National_Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parco_Nazionale_del_Cilento,_Vallo_di_Diano_e_Alburni

?

Germany:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxon_Switzerland_National_Park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmund_National_Park

And so much more. Has anyone got a favourite secret corner of Europe?

Close to home, Beaujolais. The French Tuscany. Particularly the Pierres Dorées to the South.
    Incredibly, that is on my list already. The golden villages of the Beaujolais. Went there a few years ago. Delightful. And nice wine, too, of course, tho you can get bored of Gamay
    I am looking at the Picos de Europa in Spain as a possible alternative to Pyrenees
    I always make my Beef Bourguignon with a Louis Janot. Beaujolais Villages 2018.
    Jadot?
    edited February 2022

felix said:

Taz said:

It seems especially puzzling that Beth Rigby is so lauded, given her history of COVID rule breaking.

Why’s she lauded. My enemies enemy is my friend.

Much of the journalist coverage of Covid has been poor. Not just Rigby but Peston, Laura K and most of,the rest but it is mostly political hacks covering it.

I always like watching Fergus Walsh on the BBC. But he’s a medical journalist so isn’t interested in partisan political point scoring.
    edited February 2022

felix said:

Taz said:

Missing from the analogy is the bit where Johnson introduces the laws requiring everyone to be truthful.
    edited February 2022
    Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

Much of the journalist coverage of Covid has been poor. Not just Rigby but Peston, Laura K and most of,the rest but it is mostly political hacks covering it.

I always like watching Fergus Walsh on the BBC. But he’s a medical journalist so isn’t interested in partisan political point scoring.
    "Sir Robert, you know what your English newspapers are like. Suppose that when I leave this house I drive down to some newspaper office, and give them this scandal and the proofs of it! Think of their loathsome joy, of the delight they would have in dragging you down, of the mud and mire they would plunge you in. Think of the hypocrite with his greasy smile penning his leading article, and arranging the foulness of the public placard."

The hypocrite with the greasy smile seems such a perfect description of so many English journalists.

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

The Dildo Knapper's Gazette wants to send me write about flintwork in some corner of Europe, Australia or north America that they feel has been unjustly neglected by travellers

I've just been looking at the list of national parks in Europe for some inspiration. There are 500 or more, most of which I've barely or never heard of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parco_Nazionale_del_Cilento,_Vallo_di_Diano_e_Alburni

?

Germany:

Close to home, Beaujolais. The French Tuscany. Particularly the Pierres Dorées to the South.
    Incredibly, that is on my list already. The golden villages of the Beaujolais. Went there a few years ago. Delightful. And nice wine, too, of course, tho you can get bored of Gamay
    I am looking at the Picos de Europa in Spain as a possible alternative to Pyrenees
    I always make my Beef Bourguignon with a Louis Janot. Beaujolais Villages 2018.
    Jadot?
    To the point, “always” doesn’t sit very sensibly alongside the “2018”.
  • Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

To be clear: the side 'risking a shooting war' is Russia. The country that has invaded another sovereign country.

So what is your answer to save Ukraine and the other eastern European states from domination by evil?
    To be clear I meant a shooting war between British or American troops and Russian troops. That is the stuff of nightmares.

The west is doing what it can to make the price Russia has to pay disproportionately high but we are not guardian angels who can guarantee every country in the world freedom from aggressive neighbours.

You haven't answered my question about what more you think the West should be doing? You accuse everyone else of cowardice but what would you do if you were the Prime Minister?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Good morning one and all. At least the wind seems to have dropped, but the sky I can see from my window looks a bit threatening.
    I'm somewhat concerned at the dropping of all restrictions; I don't get the I'm press ion that everything's OK now, by any means, although I do think we have to learn to live with endemic Covid; I only hope it remains a mild variety. I suspect there's still an issue with schools.

As far as Ukraine is concerned, are not the boundaries of these States somewhat artificial. AIUI, the majority, possibly the vast majority, of the population of the separatist 'republics' identifies as Russian.
    I'm not defending Putin, who appears to be running diversionary tactics of his own...... what's going awry in Russia?
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,847
    edited February 2022
    Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.
    Grandpa Winston is with 🇺🇦Ukrainians today."

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1495919414935445507

Igor Kossov@IgorKossov·11m
    Replying to @IAPonomarenko

We will fight them on the beaches.

@IAPonomarenko·11m We will fight them on the landing grounds.

@A1istair·8m Nothing to offer but blood sweat and toil. God save Ukraine. 🙏

They need all that spirit, and even more.

The Ukrainians clearly have right on their side in this case, but it has to be said that the World War II history of Ukraine is rather different from that. I'm not sure that ahistorical connections will help deter Putin from going further, in this case.

In his own mind, he imagines himself as the WWII-aliied USSR against the Nazi-sympathetic parts of Ukraine, that acquiesced in the Nazi's plans for the Russians. This, too, is exaggerated and ahistorical, but convenient for him.

In Galicia, the Ukrainians were encouraged to see themselves as ethnically different by the Nazis, and joined the SS. This is one reason not previously mentioned here why a modern centre-left German politician like Scholz, keeps a noticeable distance from some of the stronger rhetoric coming from the Ukrainian Right.
    Taz said:

felix said:

Taz said:

When all this started I felt somewhat sorry for Walsh. I'm not sure what his 'history' is; I think his wife s a GP, but I (somehow) got the impression that he went into medical journalism thinking he could get a story, research it and then give a few interviews or write it up somewhere.
    Instead of which he was on the box morning, noon and night, having to monitor a fast-moving situation and ask probing questions of senior ministers.
  • Good morning one and all. At least the wind seems to have dropped, but the sky I can see from my window looks a bit threatening.
    I'm somewhat concerned at the dropping of all restrictions; I don't get the I'm press ion that everything's OK now, by any means, although I do think we have to learn to live with endemic Covid; I only hope it remains a mild variety. I suspect there's still an issue with schools.

As far as Ukraine is concerned, are not the boundaries of these States somewhat artificial. AIUI, the majority, possibly the vast majority, of the population of the separatist 'republics' identifies as Russian.
    I'm not defending Putin, who appears to be running diversionary tactics of his own...... what's going awry in Russia?

What issue do you see with schools? Children are the least vulnerable to this virus.

Schools 100% should be the first thing to live as normal.
    edited February 2022

Good morning one and all. At least the wind seems to have dropped, but the sky I can see from my window looks a bit threatening.

What issue do you see with schools? Children are the least vulnerable to this virus.

Basically two problems. How many children are off, with consequent disruption, and, given that we seem to be, effectively, in a heavy flu season what is the effect on teachers.
    Plus, of course, parental concerns.

And, I suspect that many children are still suffering from the effects of school closures. Effects which are both educational and emotional.

I agree.

The boundaries were fixed by Comrade Stalin.

Comrade Stalin drew the boundaries to undermine Ukrainian nationalism.

It has been one of the most successful gerrymanders in history.
  • Good morning one and all. At least the wind seems to have dropped, but the sky I can see from my window looks a bit threatening.

Basically two problems. How many children are off, with consequent disruption, and, given that we seem to be, effectively, in a heavy flu season what is the effect on teachers.
    Plus, of course, parental concerns.

And, I suspect that many children are still suffering from the effects of school closures. Effects which are both educational and emotional.
    The only reason children are off is because of the ridiculous testing of asymptomatic children and telling them they have to be off even if they're not sick, simply because they have a virus that isn't making them sick.

The way to end the disruption is to stop testing asymptomatic children and stop telling them they have to stay away from school. Then the disruption ends.

The way we have damaged children's education for a virus that doesn't even hurt children in general is an utter disgrace and it has to end in full.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

So far it has only been hot air , we will see if they really mean it when they put sanctions on and cut off the gas , stop London being run as an offshoot of Russia etc. Or will it just be hot air.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Got a dental appointment (just a checkup) early next month. Will need to check up on the mask situation...

Oh, and I see war's kicked off, or is about to. Has the West been blamed yet?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

I don’t know why everyone is so bothered - as far as my life is concerned covid has been over for months now. Everything is already back to normal.

Well quite. Which is why the changes announced yesterday will not have a big effect, despite some people’s hyperventilating.
  • Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

The Ukrainians clearly have right on their side in this case, but it has to be said that the World War II history of Ukraine is rather different from that. I'm not sure that ahistorical connections will help deter Putin from going further, in this case.

In his own mind, he imagines himself as the WWII-aliied USSR against the Nazi-sympathetic parts of Ukraine, that acquiesced in the Nazi's plans for the Russians. This, too, is exaggerated and ahistorical, but convenient for him.

In Galicia, the Ukrainians were encouraged to see themselves as ethnically different by the Nazis, and joined the SS. This is one reason not previously mentioned here why a modern centre-left German politician like Scholz, keeps a noticeable distance from some of the stronger rhetoric coming from the Ukrainian Right.
    Some Ukrainians certainly see themselves as Europeans, and the Russians as Asiatics.

But, inasmuch as any white European can be a different ethnicity from another, the Ukrainians are different to the Russians. As different as the Poles, for example. Different language, and completely different history. Lviv, for example, was Polish, then Austrian, then Polish again, then only Russian since 1945. It used to be a Polish-majority city, until Stalin ethnically cleansed it and sent the Poles to live in Breslau which he had just conquered.

The war in the East was incredibly brutal, and incredibly messy, and people had to choose between Nazism and Stalin. They had no other option. We would rather they had sided with our ally rather than our enemy, but I see little difference between the two.

I agree.

Yes; It is, too, I think, sometime somewhat difficult for people in the UK to understand that, particularly in Eastern Europe it is impossible to draw a line and say that 'everyone to the east identifies as Nationality A and every one to the west as B.
    Population movements, both forced and voluntary have been enormous.
  • Leon said:

?

Germany:

Barnsley. I'm sure the average Torygraph reader would be fascinated by your tales of adventures in Wombwell.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    Taz said:

The great questions are

- should they ever have been imposed in the first place, given how illiberal, counter-productive, ineffective and hypocrtical they are?
    - why are we keeping so many travel restrictions, the most counter-productive and least effective of the lot?

Well Donetsk and Luhansk are probably majority-Russian now, but that is because most of their Ukrainian inhabitants are now living elsewhere as refugees.

And don't believe Putin's irredentism. Speaking Russian as a first language doesn't stop you seeing yourself as Ukrainian (their current president is a case in point) and even being an ethnic Russian doesn't stop you being a civic Ukrainian or wanting to be in Putin's gangsterate.

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Some Ukrainians certainly see themselves as Europeans, and the Russians as Asiatics.

But, inasmuch as any white European can be a different ethnicity from another, the Ukrainians are different to the Russians. As different as the Poles, for example. Different language, and completely different history. Lviv, for example, was Polish, then Austrian, then Polish again, then only Russian since 1945. It used to be a Polish-majority city, until Stalin ethnically cleansed it and sent the Poles to live in Breslau which he had just conquered.

The war in the East was incredibly brutal, and incredibly messy, and people had to choose between Nazism and Stalin. They had no other option. We would rather they had sided with our ally rather than our enemy, but I see little difference between the two.
    Breslau, of course, is now known as Wroclow and the descendants of the German speakers/ ethnic Germans who lived there prior to 1945 now live, primarily, in what was West Germany.
  • Russia is going to recognize the DNR and LNR’s borders within the whole of Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts - 2/3 of which are controlled by Ukraine, according to MP Leonid Kalashnikov.

That could mean endorsing separatist territorial claims and de facto war with Ukraine.

Worth pointing out that another influential lawmaker, Andrei Klimov, said the opposite last night – that recognition would only extend to the existing separatist borders.

Usually Russian MPs and senators are the last to know what Putin’s plans are, but it’s a fraught moment.

Kalashnikov has now clarified that this war scenario is just his *opinion*! And that he has no idea what the Duma is actually voting on.

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496022100280238082
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

One thing I do hope is ditched with the changes in isolation rules are the requirement for a third set of mock exams for Years 11 and 13.

While there was a certain logic in having them if large numbers of children might have to isolate in their exams, they are an extremely bad idea:

1) They will further restrict teaching time and make it more difficult for us to finish even the truncated courses, let alone do any revision;

2) They will exhaust the children and make them 'examined out' before the exams have even started;

3) They are very expensive to run, as they have to be staffed by outside invigilators and such staff don't come cheap (heck, we're struggling to find supply at the moment, never mind anything else);

4) They will need marking, which in itself is an issue as it's going to exhaust the teachers who might otherwise have marked the real exams.

If isolation is to be scrapped, I honestly can't see the point of them, other than the useless twats at the DfE flexing their puny muscles to exert control. So let's get rid of them as part of the return to normality.
    edited February 2022

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Indeed, but that doesn't mean we should completely whitewash anything to do with the history of Ukraine, and in particular the Ukrainan right, either, as the Germans are more aware of than the British.

At this moment I favour the strongest sanctions possible, to stop Putin going further. He has those 600 Billion in reserves, however.

Well quite. Which is why the changes announced yesterday will not have a big effect, despite some people’s hyperventilating.
    From the reaction on breakfast tv and the news as well as the tedious ‘speak your brains’ segments you’d think this was all done to save the PM with no regard to public safety. Crazy.
  • Happy Tues! ☀️ Just remember UK govt COVID decisions are now driven by catching headlines & not in the interests of the health & well-being of the population. We can both recognize need to open up economy & society using vaccines/testing and seriousness of COVID as a disease.

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1496017595786579969

Replying to @devisridhar
    Around a month ago you said that science has defanged Covid, and it’s time to get on with our lives. The UK government approach does not seem entirely different to the one you outlined in this article? https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/19/science-covid-ineradicable-disease-prevention

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1496022176662704130

It will be the correct approach once Nicola advocates it, until then this “independent” (sic) “expert” (sic) will continue taking pot shots at the U.K. government, unlike any of her peers in the rest of the U.K.

Support for Boris announcement from an unlikely source

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/21/boris-johnson-covid-restrictions-england?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Although it should not be forgotten that from their point of view it was a very easy choice. The Nazis pretended to be their friends, and said they would abolish collective farms and give them back the land that had been stolen from them. The Soviets said they would shoot anyone who even suggested such a thing, on top of the unknown number (certainly many millions) that they had starved to death in the Holodomor.

In 1940 the NKVD reported that 80% of Ukrainians were hoping for a German invasion and would enthusiastically support it.

The tragedy from their point of view is that every single offer the Nazis made was a lie, and they proved even more brutal in practice than the Soviets had been.

Then the Soviets came back, and were more brutal again...
    Stereodog said:

Stereodog said:

Aslan said:

To be clear I meant a shooting war between British or American troops and Russian troops. That is the stuff of nightmares.

The west is doing what it can to make the price Russia has to pay disproportionately high but we are not guardian angels who can guarantee every country in the world freedom from aggressive neighbours.

You haven't answered my question about what more you think the West should be doing? You accuse everyone else of cowardice but what would you do if you were the Prime Minister?
    I gave a fairly comprehensive set of measures on here the other day. And BTW, I don't think I've used the word 'cowardice'.

You should answer the same question: what do the west do to protect Ukrainians and other eastern European states from Russian aggression?

And if you're afraid of triggering a shooting war, then bolstering NATO in Poland, Romania etc is out - because Putin will just take that as a provocation.

In fact, he'll take anything as a provocation.

So what's your answer? How do you defeat this evil? Or are you secretly tumescent at the idea of an emboldened Russia?
  • Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Indeed, but that doesn't mean we should completely whitewash anything historically to do with Ukraine either, as the Germans are more aware of than the British.

At this moment I favour the strongest sanctions possible, to stop Putin going further. He has those 600 Billion in reserves, however.
    Sanctions at a level that can destroy the Russian economy would be my choice. Freeze the assets of all Russians in London and arrest the oligarchs and question them on suspicion of corruption and/or conspiracy to wage aggressive war.
    Fishing said:

Taz said:

The great questions are

- should they ever have been imposed in the first place, given how illiberal, counter-productive, ineffective and hypocrtical they are?
    - why are we keeping so many travel restrictions, the most counter-productive and least effective of the lot?
    Yes, they are, but unlikely to ever be asked. The first one especially in light of the party so called scandal.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Pensfold said:

Beth Rigby asking about "gun ho" politicians - is she suggesting Boris is in a crack den with an Uzi and his bitches?

That might just get the letters going in.....

A singular street ho surely? Here's a conundrum, what would be the plural of a ho? Hos or hoes?
    It's gung ho not gun ho.

Second World War: from Chinese gōnghé, taken to mean ‘work together’ and adopted as a slogan by US Marines.
    Yes, I suspect everyone understood Ms Rigby's error. That was why @MarqueeMark was making his joke about weapons and hookers (gun and ho) to which I was responding.

There are some very earnest folk in PBLand.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

I agree.

Crimea was transferred to Ukraine in 1954 under Kruschev.

edited February 2022

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Breslau, of course, is now known as Wroclow and the descendants of the German speakers/ ethnic Germans who lived there prior to 1945 now live, primarily, in what was West Germany.
    A history of Europe seen through one city:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microcosm-Portrait-Central-European-City/dp/0712693343/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1ENN0ZQ9AY47Q&amp;keywords=microcosm&amp;qid=1645516049&amp;sprefix=microcosm,aps,57&amp;sr=8-1
  • Taz said:

Fishing said:

Taz said:

The great questions are

Yes, they are, but unlikely to ever be asked. The first one especially in light of the party so called scandal.
    The big question that needs answering in any enquiry is whether the Swedes called this right, and we called it wrong. In hindsight, it seems so.

But I expect all any enquiry (and the media reporting of it especially) will focus on was whether lockdown was called "too late" as opposed to whether it should have even been called in the first place.
    ydoethur said:

One thing I do hope is ditched with the changes in isolation rules are the requirement for a third set of mock exams for Years 11 and 13.

While there was a certain logic in having them if large numbers of children might have to isolate in their exams, they are an extremely bad idea:

1) They will further restrict teaching time and make it more difficult for us to finish even the truncated courses, let alone do any revision;

2) They will exhaust the children and make them 'examined out' before the exams have even started;

3) They are very expensive to run, as they have to be staffed by outside invigilators and such staff don't come cheap (heck, we're struggling to find supply at the moment, never mind anything else);

4) They will need marking, which in itself is an issue as it's going to exhaust the teachers who might otherwise have marked the real exams.

If isolation is to be scrapped, I honestly can't see the point of them, other than the useless twats at the DfE flexing their puny muscles to exert control. So let's get rid of them as part of the return to normality.
    The two 'practising' teachers in my family (grandson & wife) came to lunch on Sunday. They want nothing more than to get back to normal, with as little 'management' interference as possible.
    However, grandson, who teaches the top primary year fears that that happy state is unlikely to occur.

Happy Tues! ☀️ Just remember UK govt COVID decisions are now driven by catching headlines & not in the interests of the health & well-being of the population. We can both recognize need to open up economy & society using vaccines/testing and seriousness of COVID as a disease.

Replying to @devisridhar
    Around a month ago you said that science has defanged Covid, and it’s time to get on with our lives. The UK government approach does not seem entirely different to the one you outlined in this article? https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jan/19/science-covid-ineradicable-disease-prevention

It will be the correct approach once Nicola advocates it, until then this “independent” (sic) “expert” (sic) will continue taking pot shots at the U.K. government, unlike any of her peers in the rest of the U.K.

No answer to her hypocrisy. She’s just an SNP shill now.

This tweet sums it up nicely.

https://twitter.com/mgv95692598/status/1496023165897781248?s=21
    Foxy said:

I agree.

Can I pedantically point out it was under Malenkov?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Yes, but some did rather enthusiastically. The genocide at Babi Yar was by Ukranian collaborators.

I am greatly sympathetic to the Ukranian plight, but history is very messy, and within living memory in these parts.
    edited February 2022
    ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Although it should not be forgotten that from their point of view it was a very easy choice. The Nazis pretended to be their friends, and said they would abolish collective farms and give them back the land that had been stolen from them. The Soviets said they would shoot anyone who even suggested such a thing, on top of the unknown number (certainly many millions) that they had starved to death in the Holodomor.

In 1940 the NKVD reported that 80% of Ukrainians were hoping for a German invasion and would enthusiastically support it.

The tragedy from their point of view is that every single offer the Nazis made was a lie, and they proved even more brutal in practice than the Soviets had been.

Agreed. The only difference was that the Soviets stopped the Holocaust of the Jews and other minorities that the Galician SS had played an enthusiastic part in. Only seven years later, Stalin was starting his own enthusiastic purges of Jews, though obviously not on the same scale.
  • A view from Prague:

German and French appeasement of Vladimir Putler failed on every level.

Central and Eastern Europeans told warned them for years, but Berlin and Paris did not listen.

Russian elite corruption projects were up and running in German politics and nobody cared.

https://twitter.com/_JakubJanda/status/1496014259322601477

“Ostpolitik” has a lot to answer for…
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I agree.

Can we take issue pedantically with where you put the word pedantically in your sentence back there?
  • A view from Prague:

Central and Eastern Europeans told warned them for years, but Berlin and Paris did not listen.

Russian elite corruption projects were up and running in German politics and nobody cared.

If Nord Stream 2 isn't 100% dead then the Germans have sold their souls.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

In any case, since when did we start using memories of WWII as a means of justifying changes to internationally settled national boundaries, imposed by force ?

This is whataboutery of the most nonsensical kind.
  • Aslan said:

I've been called worse. Problem for you is that 4 years in local government hardened me to not care one little bit about jibes thrown by people I don't respect. And I still don't see what point there is in NATO sabre-rattling. We will stop him financially and diplomatically, not by war.
    The wind today has gone to Iceland
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

I agree.

Can we take issue pedantically with where you put the word pedantically in your sentence back there?
    No.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited February 2022
    The answer to Mike's question is 'Yes'

This isn't being done for the nation's health but so that Johnson keeps his right wingers happy. They're more interested in freedom at any cost, including poor people's lives. = Capitalism.

As for Russia, I suspect Putin will stop with these incursions into eastern Ukraine but we shall see. The fact that he waited until the Olympics closed is not a coincidence imho. The new world axis is Putin-Xi and in many ways this kind of incursion is VERY much in the style of China.
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

In any case, since when did we start using memories of WWII as a means of justifying changes to internationally settled national boundaries, imposed by force ?

It isn't being used on this thread to justify what I would agree is Putin's dangerous irredentism, but as part of a response to what is an ahistorical conflation of the Ukrainians and the World War II allies.
  • Taz said:

Happy Tues! ☀️ Just remember UK govt COVID decisions are now driven by catching headlines & not in the interests of the health & well-being of the population. We can both recognize need to open up economy & society using vaccines/testing and seriousness of COVID as a disease.

Replying to @devisridhar

Blackford's fury in the HOC at the thought HMG will not continue funding Scotland (and Wales) testing regime confirmed just how dependent they have been on the Treasury and they now realise they will need to find their own funding if they want to continue their own restrictions
  • Happy Tues! ☀️ Just remember UK govt COVID decisions are now driven by catching headlines & not in the interests of the health & well-being of the population. We can both recognize need to open up economy & society using vaccines/testing and seriousness of COVID as a disease.

Replying to @devisridhar

Support for Boris announcement from an unlikely source

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/21/boris-johnson-covid-restrictions-england?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    Simon Jenkins…..

Experts should be on tap, not on top. They should be listened to but not obeyed. We vote for politicians to rule us and no one else, thank goodness.

Unless you’re Sridhar and it’s an opportunity to ingratiate yourself with Sturgeon….
    Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Actually, in 1991, Yugoslavia.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    If anyone wants a brief, but fairly comprehensive overview of Ukraine history, there's a decent one here:
    https://snyder.substack.com/p/kyivs-ancient-normality-redux?utm_source=url

The problem is that with Covid still ripping through quite a lot of primary schools the staff absence means that normal is difficult. OK so the period of sick leave is shorter than the old 2 weeks in chokey used to be but it is still disruptive.
    edited February 2022

ydoethur said:

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Agreed. The only difference was that the Soviets stopped the Holocaust of the Jews and other minorities that the Galician SS had played an enthusiastic part in. Only seven years later, Stalin was starting his own enthusiastic purges of Jews, though obviously not on the same scale.
    I am not altogether sure the Crimean Tartars (and separately, the Volga Germans) felt that the Soviets were stopping genocide when they reconquered Ukraine, but the general thrust is correct.
  • Taz said:

Replying to @devisridhar

Blackford's fury in the HOC at the thought HMG will not continue funding Scotland (and Wales) testing regime confirmed just how dependent they have been on the Treasury and they now realise they will need to find their own funding if they want to continue their own restrictions
    Scotland and Wales fund free prescriptions for all (not just the poor and elderly as in England - so it’s a classic middle class perk) so if it’s so important presumably they can fund free LFTs too?
  • Heathener said:

This isn't being done for the nation's health but so that Johnson keeps his right wingers happy. They're more interested in freedom at any cost, including poor people's lives. = Capitalism.

As for Russia, I suspect Putin will stop with these incursions into eastern Ukraine but we shall see. The fact that he waited until the Olympics closed is not a coincidence imho. The new world axis is Putin-Xi and in many ways this kind of incursion is VERY much in the style of China.

Seems even the Guardian approves

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

Heathener said:

Utter bollocks of the highest order.

The answer to Mike's question, as plenty have said already, is a clear and resounding no.

The nation's health isn't best served by pissing billions a month away that could be used productively on NHS backlogs or anything else on an inane waste of time testing for a virus we're all triple-vaccinated for. A virus that post vaccines is so 'severe' it is leading to negative excess deaths at the minute.

Only those with a partisan axe to grind think this is political at all. The evidence to take this step has been there for a long time, I was calling for it ages ago, it was right then and its long overdue now.
    Plus many other countries have done or are in the process of doing so.

It's almost as if some want to see measures in place merely to blame the Government for still having measures in place...

Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

It isn't being used on this thread to justify Putin's dangerous irredentism, but as part of a response to ahistorical comparisons between the Ukrainians and the World War II allies.
    And the boundaries imposed by force in 1945 replaced others imposed by force in 1918. Etc.

There's an old 'joke' about a farmer who lived on the border between Russia and Poland (when there was one!). Border disputes when back and forth and his nationality shifted with them.
    Eventually an agreement was reached ad he was told that he definitely a Pole.
    To which he replied 'Thank God; I couldn't face another Russian winter."
  • Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Indeed, but that doesn't mean we should completely whitewash anything historically to do with Ukraine either, as the Germans are more aware of than the British.

Sanctions at a level that can destroy the Russian economy would be my choice. Freeze the assets of all Russians in London and arrest the oligarchs and question them on suspicion of corruption and/or conspiracy to wage aggressive war.
    Lets see who has been benefiting from this dodgy oligarch money and go after them. Another police interview for Boris coming up. And a stack of Tory MPs.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045

Leon said:

?

Germany:

Barnsley. I'm sure the average Torygraph reader would be fascinated by your tales of adventures in Wombwell.
    Jamund is beautiful, as is the rest of Rügen, amazing beaches, fascinating Nazi holiday architecture in Prora etc. But it is not exactly neglected, it's one of the most popular holiday destinations for Germans. Not many foreigners apart from Scandinavians, Poles and Russians. No Brits, it's true.

Less visited are Meck-Pomm's Hanseatic towns, I recommend Stralsund and Wismar.

The problem is that with Covid still ripping through quite a lot of primary schools the staff absence means that normal is difficult. OK so the period of sick leave is shorter than the old 2 weeks in chokey used to be but it is still disruptive.
    Primary schools can be filled with snot monkeys at the best of times. Managing absences is something that schools have always had to do, and will always have to do.

However those absences should be because people are actually sick, rather than they have an endemic virus that hasn't made them sick.

Aslan said:

I've been called worse. Problem for you is that 4 years in local government hardened me to not care one little bit about jibes thrown by people I don't respect. And I still don't see what point there is in NATO sabre-rattling. We will stop him financially and diplomatically, not by war.
    We have had sanctions on Russia and Russian individuals for years. They have not stopped the aggression. What makes you so certain that stronger sanctions will stop Russian aggression?
  • A view from Prague:

Genuine question - how easy will it be for European countries to stop using Russian gas and find alternative sources? Just wondering how on the tit we are despite the posturing towards the gas man...
    Heathener said:

Of course the restrictions have been done for the nations health. Other nations are doing exactly the same.
  • Taz said:

Replying to @devisridhar

One of the biggest changes in England - the ending of the legal requirement to self isolate has never been a legal requirement in Scotland.

Primary schools can be filled with snot monkeys at the best of times. Managing absences is something that schools have always had to do, and will always have to do.

However those absences should be because people are actually sick, rather than they have an endemic virus that hasn't made them sick.
    Makes you wonder how we ever managed these situations before covid.
  • Foxy said:

Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

Yes, but some did rather enthusiastically. The genocide at Babi Yar was by Ukranian collaborators.

I am greatly sympathetic to the Ukranian plight, but history is very messy, and within living memory in these parts.
    Ukrainian Auxiliary Police certainly took part at Babyn Yar but it was led by Sonderkommando death squads.

A chilling place. The fact that it's quite a nice park, and on the Metro, somehow brings it home.
  • Who was it that was certain Boris would go today?

I think you could lay that at 1000/1 and be safe.

Boris may go still in the months to come, but no chance today or this week.

A view from Prague:

Genuine question - how easy will it be for European countries to stop using Russian gas and find alternative sources? Just wondering how on the tit we are despite the posturing towards the gas man...
    There is plenty of gas in other parts of the world and underground. The well funded green lobby will be doing their best to ensure we don’t access it. We should be pushing for more renewables but we need fossil fuels for the time being.
  • Who was it that was certain Boris would go today?

I think you could lay that at 1000/1 and be safe.

Boris may go still in the months to come, but no chance today or this week.

@MoonRabbit
  • Chameleon said:

"What I can tell you.

I don’t think any sane person would suggest that WWII as it occurred in Eastern Europe didn’t involve incredibly difficult decisions, ones that we with our arses planted in comfortable armchairs can barely comprehend. However it’s modern Ukrainians dressing up in SS Galician Division uniforms and proudly commemorating said division’s activities that are more problematic. To be clear I think anyone who enjoys dressing up in SS uniforms is well dodgy, but at least our UK gimps have to pretend they’re only there for the reenactment and not massively getting off on it.
  • Heathener said:

I remember chatting with Chinese students at our church in Durham mad in the mid 00s. They were a little surprised when we were talking about history and politics and I said that this will be China's century. But when you look at trade and resources and technology and manufacturing is there any other conclusion? How much stuff do we each have that is either made in China or from bits made in China?

Xi - like Putin - isn't a nice man. But nobody screams and yells when he brutalises the Uighurs because we're reliant on China for stuff we need at a price we want. Putin has decided that he wants in on this reliance phase and is both selling gas and "thats a nice country, pity if someone set fire to it" protectionism.

For all of the passive aggressive posts by certain people on here about our capitulation to Putin, isn't the hard truth that our countries have long ago already done that? How reliant has the UK been on Russian gas and Russian money? Russia has attacked our shores with chemical weapons and yet the governing party still take Russian money and we still look to Russian gas as part of the continental-wide energy solution.
This discussion has been closed.