Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer records “Best PM” rating high with Savanta Comres – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,354

NEW Senior administration official says Putin's claims he is pulling back troops are FALSE
    'We have now confirmed that in the last several days, Russia has increased its troop presence along Ukrainian border by as many as 7000 troops, with some arriving as recently as today.'

https://twitter.com/robcrilly/status/1494094669625581569?s=21

I regret to inform you that a German company is introducing a fish finger pizza. I'm sorry, Italy.

https://twitter.com/marceldirsus/status/1493965838734569474?s=21

What eclectic news selection you have.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,397
    Applicant said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I've just seen an advert featuring a couple who were both white.

Normal service resumed in the next ad.

I don't understand: where are you seeing these 'ads'?
    I'm a technophobe. I watch the telly.
    And yet, here you are.

Seriously: I haven't had broadcast TV for about seven or eight years. Why would I want anything other than Netflix/Amazon/YouTube?
    Sport.

And news, surely? How do you find out anything that's happening from Netflix?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

As regards Ukraine, I posted the other day that Sundays were often interesting days when it came to the Russian military. Still worth watching the weekend but the other thing to keep an eye on is the idea that Ukrainian President Zelensky might be out of the country for a day or two doing the diplomatic rounds.

Have the Russians invaded yet?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,354

Applicant said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And yet, here you are.

Seriously: I haven't had broadcast TV for about seven or eight years. Why would I want anything other than Netflix/Amazon/YouTube?
    Sport.

I'd assume from PB. No joke.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,423
    Wordle 243 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky break, today.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,225

NEW Senior administration official says Putin's claims he is pulling back troops are FALSE
    'We have now confirmed that in the last several days, Russia has increased its troop presence along Ukrainian border by as many as 7000 troops, with some arriving as recently as today.'

https://twitter.com/robcrilly/status/1494094669625581569?s=21

The question is where. They have what are believed to be five possible fronts based on troop concentrations
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Yokes said:

As regards Ukraine, I posted the other day that Sundays were often interesting days when it came to the Russian military. Still worth watching the weekend but the other thing to keep an eye on is the idea that Ukrainian President Zelensky might be out of the country for a day or two doing the diplomatic rounds.

Leader out of the country is often a time when domestic coups take place, so it could be a good time for Putin’s Ukrainian sockpuppets to try one of their own, and “invite” Russian troops in (a bit like Kuusinen’s “Terijoki Government” at the start of the Winter War). Of course the Ukrainian armed forces would have no truck with that.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,310
    kle4 said:

Applicant said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And yet, here you are.

Sport.

I find it strange that anyone would want to *view* news. I "view" stuff as entertainment. I read the news.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    edited February 2022

Applicant said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And yet, here you are.

Sport.

I haven't watched TV news in the better part of a decade. I get everything I need from Twitter and PB, without the fearmongering of TV news.

(Edit: and I felt that way a couple of years before Covid!)
  • Options

Yokes said:

Have the Russians invaded yet?
    No, because its very high risk and they didn't quite expect the West to be as firm as they have been. Tell you what though Sunil, if if it was free bet situation.

Short of multi front invasion and occupation but some kind of physical mass formation attack, I would put my money on a North-South and possibly South-North move along the line of contact in Eastern Ukraine under the pretext of protecting the breakaway republics.

The consequence of this is that a very large component of the Ukrainian military which is stationed there would suffer damage and possible entrapment.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,906
    kle4 said:

Applicant said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

And yet, here you are.

Sport.

The great thing about pb as a news source is that the editorial process is highly visible and highly rigorous. The news gets deconstructed, contextualised, a counterpoint proposed, and the implications for Scotland considered before half the broadcast media have even broken the story. And there is an informed voice on every topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    rpjs said:

Yokes said:

Leader out of the country is often a time when domestic coups take place, so it could be a good time for Putin’s Ukrainian sockpuppets to try one of their own, and “invite” Russian troops in (a bit like Kuusinen’s “Terijoki Government” at the start of the Winter War). Of course the Ukrainian armed forces would have no truck with that.
    Well now, I read a report from someone who reportedly had spoken with Ukrainian security officials and apparently the state has plenty of people in Russian pay, though why they haven't pulled a move yet could be interpreted as testament to the work to weed out such influence. What's worse, that same report has an estimate of Russian Special Operations units reportedly operating in-mufti in Kiev to the tune of a couple of hundred personnel. These are not sneaky beaky spies, these are active measures troops who represent a sabotage or vanguard group.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,906
    carnforth said:

Wordle 243 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky break, today.

Wordle beat me for the first time today.
    By row 4, I had all but one letters in their right place.
    The other space could have been filled by one of four letters, one of which I had just eliminated.
    Unfortunately I made the wrong guesses in rows 5 and 6. I should have gone for a definitely-wrong word in row 5 containing all three of the possible letters to definitely get it in 6. But I wasn't really thinking too deeply.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,074

MattW said:

Wordle Today:

Wordle 242 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Good effort. I had two choices and got the wrong one...

Wordle 242 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Did your wrong choice begin with b?
    Bit late now, but yes.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,074
    edited February 2022
    Cookie said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 243 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky break, today.

The other space could have been filled by one of four letters, one of which I had just eliminated.
    Unfortunately I made the wrong guesses in rows 5 and 6. I should have gone for a definitely-wrong word in row 5 containing all three of the possible letters to definitely get it in 6. But I wasn't really thinking too deeply.
    Wordle 243 3/6

🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
    ⬜⬜⬜🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yes, there were far too many options if you got greedy. I had a choice of 2 and got the right one today.

I think this is getting rather played out now, so for any further entertainment I'll have to write a solver. Evaluating the score quickly is the key to searching I think.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,293
    "The Great International Convoy Fiasco
    As America puts the Canadian Prime Minister's unmentionables in a vise over a truck protest, it's clearer than ever: the world's leaders have forgotten how to govern
    Matt Taibbi"

https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-great-international-convoy-fiasco
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,332
    Unpopular said:

rcs1000 said:

@joshglancy
    Nick Clegg promoted at Meta (Facebook). Will now be president of global affairs, was previously vice-president.

This puts him at the very top table with Zuckerberg and Sandberg, demonstrates how central a figure he's become.

https://twitter.com/joshglancy/status/1493995888313876482

The Liberal Democrats were the fall guy for Nick Clegg.

He has done very well for himself, they haven't. He played them for fools.
    Do you honestly think he's happy? I think he threw his life behind the LDs, and saw them massacred on his watch. I doubt he'll ever get over it.
    Interesting point, especially after driving them to their highest point in 90 years. The first Liberal (Democrat) since Lloyd George to be in Government. And it wasn't a bad Government, either. But politics doesn't care, and the electorate never thank you. In the latter years of the Coalition he always looked miserable. I have a lot of sympathy for Clegg, and I think the LDs need to come to terms with their time in Government rather than treating it like an embarrassing weekend bender.

That said, I'm sure the big bucks help. Still, would he rather be Prime Minister?
    I take it you mean Gwilym Lloyd George?

Otherwise Archibald Sinclair would have first claim.

And before him, Herbert Samuel.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Cookie said:

carnforth said:

Wordle 243 4/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨
    🟩⬜🟨⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟩⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Lucky break, today.

Exactly the same happened to me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Unpopular said:

rcs1000 said:

@joshglancy
    Nick Clegg promoted at Meta (Facebook). Will now be president of global affairs, was previously vice-president.

This puts him at the very top table with Zuckerberg and Sandberg, demonstrates how central a figure he's become.

https://twitter.com/joshglancy/status/1493995888313876482

The Liberal Democrats were the fall guy for Nick Clegg.

He has done very well for himself, they haven't. He played them for fools.
    Do you honestly think he's happy? I think he threw his life behind the LDs, and saw them massacred on his watch. I doubt he'll ever get over it.
    Interesting point, especially after driving them to their highest point in 90 years. The first Liberal (Democrat) since Lloyd George to be in Government. And it wasn't a bad Government, either. But politics doesn't care, and the electorate never thank you. In the latter years of the Coalition he always looked miserable. I have a lot of sympathy for Clegg, and I think the LDs need to come to terms with their time in Government rather than treating it like an embarrassing weekend bender.

That said, I'm sure the big bucks help. Still, would he rather be Prime Minister?
    I take it you mean Gwilym Lloyd George?

Otherwise Archibald Sinclair would have first claim.

And before him, Herbert Samuel.
    You know, as I was writing, I was thinking that a few Liberals had probably found their way into Government in the intervening time. I should have been more precise in my wording, so apologies. That aside, the involvement in the Coalition by the Lib Dems was to a level not seen since David Lloyd George in the 1920s.
This discussion has been closed.