Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer records “Best PM” rating high with Savanta Comres – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

"I will sorely miss this great Lord’s tradition
    The Eton-Harrow match has been swept away by a tide of change that can at times seem irrational
    Henry Blofeld" (£)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/16/will-sorely-miss-great-lords-tradition/

Have any Eton or Harrow players recently embarked on a decent cricket career?
    Jamie Bruce, Gary Ballance, Sam Northeast all County cricketers
    Gary Ballance surprises me. He's not very bright. I hope he didn't learn his racism at Harrow.
    He grew up in Zimbabwe, attitudes amongst many whites there are not that different from those amongst many whites still in post apartheid South Africa
  • Options
    Farooq said:

This thread contains very little about politics and even less on betting.

Have I wandered by mistake onto Solarwordle.com?

There are not enough political betting markets about where there are new developments happening. 95% of all political bets are placed with final week of an election campaign.
    Perhaps you could start political-wordle.com were the puzzle's answer is connected to a politican, party or political philosophy?
    Ok then, I've got one for you five letters. Let's see how you do.
    I have no interest in it. I am even useless at Scrabble. But I thought it might interest the site's wordlers
  • Options

Farooq said:

There are not enough political betting markets about where there are new developments happening. 95% of all political bets are placed with final week of an election campaign.
    Perhaps you could start political-wordle.com were the puzzle's answer is connected to a politican, party or political philosophy?
    I have no interest in it. I am even useless at Scrabble. But I thought it might interest the site's wordlers
    How about Twister?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Macrn? Plosi? Rishi?
    MACRN is not valid
    PLOSI is not valid
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS
  • Options
    TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Macrn? Plosi? Rishi?
    MACRN is not valid
    PLOSI is not valid
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS
    No S (From Rishi)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,799
    TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Macrn? Plosi? Rishi?
    MACRN is not valid
    PLOSI is not valid
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS
    Whether this was meant vexatiously, I can find politicians called DICKS, so:
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,902
    Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
  • Options
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

It's the "we think this tax is crap" versus "we mustn't be seen to profane the NHS God" dilemma.

If you offered the same set of respondents a choice between funding the NHS with an NI increase versus funding the NHS with a 90% super tax on bank profits (and individual bankers' bonuses) then you wouldn't get many votes in favour of the NI increase.

Always the problem with these kinds of questions. Very crude.
    Also, a criticism of the raise is partly that it won't really do anything for social care and will just scratch the surface of health care.
    Which is why NHS Tax won't stay at 1.25% for very long...
    The problem is demographics, with medicine being expensive and mostly on the older population. NHS or private, it is going to have to be paid for.
    By the remaining working age population.

Our forebears used to worry that democracy would only last so long as the mass of the poor discovered that they could vote to help themselves to the assets of the rich. What's actually ended up happening is that the mass of the old have discovered that they can vote to help themselves to the wages of the young.

NHS Tax will keep going up and up and up, way past the point at which most of the working poor have been reduced to permanently switching off the central heating and surviving on food bank handouts, until the middle class is being squeezed so hard that they're unable to afford to service their mortgages. Then, and not before, will the reckoning come.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,003
    darkage said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

"How we fell out of love with work
    A hard day's graft is no longer a source of self-respect
    Linda Murdoch"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/02/15/how-we-fell-out-of-love-with-work/

How many people were ever in love with work though? Most jobs constitute drudgery, working with horrid people, dealing with horrid customers, flogging yourself for shite wages, or some combination of all of these things. And even where people don't actually hate work, the vast majority of them would give it up at the drop of a hat if they won the lottery.

Work as some kind of fulfilling vocation is really quite unusual, and even for many of the people for whom this is a reality it's still very hard. For most of us paid employment is no more than a necessary evil. We'd much rather be doing something we enjoy, of course.
    I thought that I hated work, but then stopped working for a few months, and I sunk in to depression, inactivity, anxiety and madness. I then got another job. My experience is that the best thing for mental health is to keep working all the time but take all steps possible to reduce stress, and to not take work too seriously, and to avoid sticking to any one employer for too long. Right now I am doing a rather menial job with little in the way of status, but which I enjoy most of the time, can do very well and get very well paid for. I've also got other channels of income which I can spend time working on. All these people around me are pursuing power and status and killing themselves with stress to the point where they seem to be constantly on the verge of a breakdown. They have never stopped to think about what is really in their long term interest.
    Yes. Mrs Foxy got quite depressed when starved of adult company after Fox Jr2 started school. She had no desire to go back to nursing, but I coaxed her into giving it another go, and she now works on the day ward 3 days a week. Done her the world of good. She enjoys it again, and it gives her something to moan about.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,252
    Foxy said:

Even the French election isn't looking particularly interesting. Might be some interest in second place, or in percentages.
    If Pecresse gets to second place the runoff could be interesting. Le Pen is closer to Macron than 2017, though Macron trounces Zemmour in runoff polls
  • Options

Farooq said:

How about Twister?
    Weather forecasting? :D:D

Actually, now that I think about it, I do not actually like any games or word puzzles. Probably because "puzzle solving" was my day job for 35 years (analyst/programmer etc).

I prefer to read a book. I find most modern movies and TV series to be tedious in the extreme or bizzarely filmed.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN
  • Options

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    A bit recherche, but Nitze. Actually met him once.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Even the French election isn't looking particularly interesting. Might be some interest in second place, or in percentages.
    If Pecresse gets to second place the runoff could be interesting. Le Pen is closer to Macron than 2017, though Macron trounces Zemmour in runoff polls
    I agree. Pecresse into final round means all bets are off.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Macrn? Plosi? Rishi?
    MACRN is not valid
    PLOSI is not valid
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS
    Whether this was meant vexatiously, I can find politicians called DICKS, so:
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    Terry Dicks. Former MP for Hayes and Harlington before the current one I think.

He may even have been as noisy.

Or Cressida and a mirror.

Anyhoo. Supper just called :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    darkage said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Linda Murdoch"

How many people were ever in love with work though? Most jobs constitute drudgery, working with horrid people, dealing with horrid customers, flogging yourself for shite wages, or some combination of all of these things. And even where people don't actually hate work, the vast majority of them would give it up at the drop of a hat if they won the lottery.

Work as some kind of fulfilling vocation is really quite unusual, and even for many of the people for whom this is a reality it's still very hard. For most of us paid employment is no more than a necessary evil. We'd much rather be doing something we enjoy, of course.
    I thought that I hated work, but then stopped working for a few months, and I sunk in to depression, inactivity, anxiety and madness. I then got another job. My experience is that the best thing for mental health is to keep working all the time but take all steps possible to reduce stress, and to not take work too seriously, and to avoid sticking to any one employer for too long. Right now I am doing a rather menial job with little in the way of status, but which I enjoy most of the time, can do very well and get very well paid for. I've also got other channels of income which I can spend time working on. All these people around me are pursuing power and status and killing themselves with stress to the point where they seem to be constantly on the verge of a breakdown. They have never stopped to think about what is really in their long term interest.
    It's an interesting discussion. I don't think I've ever felt stressed about work (love, health, etc., certainly, but work?) - there are ups and downs and occasionally I'd lose one (e.g. in 2010) and have to do something else, but in the end it doesn't feel personal enough to be stressed about. Most people I know seem to feel the same - they'd rather be doing their favourite hobbies, but they're apparently OK with working. Clearly if one got sacked and couldn't find another job that'd be mega-stressful, but that's relatively unusual in all walks of life. I don't recognise, and feel saddened by, Andy's grim description, and wonder how usual that is.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

@joshglancy
    Nick Clegg promoted at Meta (Facebook). Will now be president of global affairs, was previously vice-president.

This puts him at the very top table with Zuckerberg and Sandberg, demonstrates how central a figure he's become.

https://twitter.com/joshglancy/status/1493995888313876482

Probably the most successful post parliamentary career of any party leader of modern Times.
    Does nothing for his reputation in my opinion.
    Sure, it is a vile company, but pretty much all big tech companies are. They obviously find he adds useful value though.

Meanwhile it is Dave (who?) Sitting in his caravan in the garden bored.
    Love the rhyme. He could take up singing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rv4YiTg8U
  • Options
    Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
  • Options

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,272

rcs1000 said:

Simon Evans
    @DrSimEvans

Pssst!

Solar is now 88% cheaper than thought a decade ago, UK govt says – half its estimated cost of new gas power

Just running a gas plant in Feb 2022 is costing around FOUR times as much as we'd pay for new solar or wind

https://twitter.com/DrSimEvans/status/1493906926907924481

Unfortunately you need to build the gas-fired plant anyway to run when the wind isn't blowing. And you have to pay the operators a capacity payment to sit there not doing anything when it is windy.

Build the gas-fired plant with carbon capture and you get decarbonised power whenever you need it.

The more intermittent renewables we install, the greater the cost of providing decarbonised power.

Laters...
    Capital costs for CCGTs (and even more so for OCGTs) are simply not that high. Maintenance and other operating expenses are also really low.

Except they cannot get staff for CCGTs. All the youngsters are training on turbines and solar, and not going into that side of the industry, which is seen as 'bad'.

Salaries have gone through the roof for good CCGT engineers. It's a great business to be in atm.
    While I'm sure that's true, you also simply don't need many people. Operating costs for CCGTs (and even more so OCGTs) are miniscule compared to Nuclear, Coal and even Wind.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
    Excellent
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Witte

I made that hard.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
    Excellent

I made that hard.
    Topical too with a Russian. OK I've got one if people want to play again.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
    Excellent

I made that hard.
    LABOR
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
    Excellent

I made that hard.
    LABOR
    Damn you.

✓✓✓✓✓
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
    Excellent

I made that hard.
    LABOR
    Damn you.

✓✓✓✓✓
    holy shit, I'm sorry about that
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

Farooq said:

OK.

My first 2 guesses are:

PUTIN
    HAYES
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE
    RISHI = X✓XXX
    NIXON = X✓XXX
    DICKS = X✓XXX
    PUTIN = XX✓OX
    HAYES = XXXOX
    BIDEN = X✓XOX
    NITZE = X✓✓X✓
    TITLE = O✓✓X✓
    WITTE
    Excellent

I made that hard.
    LABOR
    Damn you.

✓✓✓✓✓
    holy shit, I'm sorry about that
    LOL I'm joking ... not that it was the word, it was, nevermind too easy I guess. Thought it might be a bit trickier for some with the dropped u.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    OK. I have one.

-----

Clue - also relevant. Ish.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Watching Guy Garvey: From the Vaults. Sky Arts series - has a collection of rarely seen TV music from obscure late-night music shows. The 1987 episode has, amongst others, Depeche Mode.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,430
    Just to repeat an earlier piece of advice: don't plan on going anywhere in southern Britain on Friday and don't expect to have a train service this weekend.

Storm Eunice looks very severe across a huge area.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,256
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Simon Evans
    @DrSimEvans

Pssst!

Solar is now 88% cheaper than thought a decade ago, UK govt says – half its estimated cost of new gas power

Just running a gas plant in Feb 2022 is costing around FOUR times as much as we'd pay for new solar or wind

Unfortunately you need to build the gas-fired plant anyway to run when the wind isn't blowing. And you have to pay the operators a capacity payment to sit there not doing anything when it is windy.

Build the gas-fired plant with carbon capture and you get decarbonised power whenever you need it.

The more intermittent renewables we install, the greater the cost of providing decarbonised power.

Laters...
    Capital costs for CCGTs (and even more so for OCGTs) are simply not that high. Maintenance and other operating expenses are also really low.

Except they cannot get staff for CCGTs. All the youngsters are training on turbines and solar, and not going into that side of the industry, which is seen as 'bad'.

Salaries have gone through the roof for good CCGT engineers. It's a great business to be in atm.
    While I'm sure that's true, you also simply don't need many people. Operating costs for CCGTs (and even more so OCGTs) are miniscule compared to Nuclear, Coal and even Wind.
    You do when there's work being done on them. A couple of hundred people on one shutdown. Not all need to be knowledgeable on the plant, but many do.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Simon Evans
    @DrSimEvans

Pssst!

Laters...

If you want to talk operating costs....you need about 27 people to operate a tidal lagoon power station that produces as much power as Hinkley C.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,566
    Heathener said:

Just to repeat an earlier piece of advice: don't plan on going anywhere in southern Britain on Friday and don't expect to have a train service this weekend.

Unfortunately some of us have to get to work!

My fuel consumption was down by about 20% this morning due to the strong tailwind. Going back home, however...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

malcolmg said:

pigeon said:

Andy_JS said:

Linda Murdoch"

Have to say I enjoy mine and it is well paid
    I would say I'm pretty fortunate with my work myself, in many ways - but none of that means that I wouldn't retire straight away if presented with a sufficiently large wad of cash. As it is, I'm saving assiduously with a view to going part-time as soon as I think I can afford it.

Most people nowadays aren't that lucky, of course.
    I love my job. It’s exceptionally varied, I get to help train future pharmacists and chemists, get to do serious science and get a decent wage.
    If I won a substantial sum of money I’d carry on the research by funding others. Life is too short not to enjoy doing the things a lot of money would allow...
    Yes, mine is a great job too. A really interesting cocktail of science, human contact, problem solving and teaching.
    Though one gains the impression that people who work in call centres, clean bogs or flip burgers for a living are under-represented in the PB demographic.
    Unlike people who sit watching the sunset over the Indian ocean sipping a bucket of gin whilst typing the odd line of a new book? :smiley:
    And what is wrong with buckets of gin overlooking the Caribbean? It's not even too hot right now.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

israel is blocking us transfer of iron dome missile defense system to ukraine (has to be approved by both countries) because they don’t want to antagonize russia.

one of closest us allies…least aligned with americans on a core national security issue.

system is jointly developed by us and israel, so israel has every right to block.

but it’s a fully defensive system. feels like a bigger story than germany blocking estonia sending german-made weapons to ukraine.

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1493978954075623429

Israelis have a very smart understanding about world threats. Much, much, smarter than the Americans (and Boris obvs). There are far more dangerous regimes and threats than Russia.

Keep Russia close. Turn a blind eye here or there. Throw them a few scraps.

It's pragmatism. It's expediency. It's disingenuous but the pathway to world peace is not made by moral crusading. The world was a far safer place before idiots like Tony Blair decided to go around removing every dictator they didn't like.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,419
    Heathener said:

Looks like us up in the north are going to miss the worst of Eunice, hope everything is okay for all our southern contingent.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,676

That’s because I was out playing Volley Ball. 🙂 I’ll fix it for you
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    Heathener said:

No need to wait until Friday - there have been no trains through Airedale since early afternoon. Good job I was WFH.
  • Options
    MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

CLEGG
  • Options
    MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

MINSK
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

@joshglancy
    Nick Clegg promoted at Meta (Facebook). Will now be president of global affairs, was previously vice-president.

This puts him at the very top table with Zuckerberg and Sandberg, demonstrates how central a figure he's become.

https://twitter.com/joshglancy/status/1493995888313876482

The Liberal Democrats were the fall guy for Nick Clegg.

He has done very well for himself, they haven't. He played them for fools.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

CLEGG
    Aha. A contestant. :smile:

CLEGG - XXXXX
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,730
    Heathener said:

Israelis have a very smart understanding about world threats. Much, much, smarter than the Americans (and Boris obvs). There are far more dangerous regimes and threats than Russia.

China, yes but they are further away.
    North Korea, maybe but it's hardly any power projection at all.

So no. Russia is the UK's number one threat.
    After France, of course..... :smile:

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

BORIS

Although how long he will be relevant-ish for is unknown
  • Options

image 🙂.

No one cares about your no one cares about your Wordle score
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

MINSK
    CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
  • Options
    There's going to be massive damage across the southern half of Britain on Friday.

It will dominate the news over the weekend.
  • Options

image 🙂.

There's somebody who has never done Wordle in 2....
  • Options

MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

BORIS

Although how long he will be relevant-ish for is unknown
    6 days according to MoonRabbits countdown to him losing vonc and resigning.

Seems a tad quiet at the moment, things will have to start happening soon on that front 🤔
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Heathener said:

israel is blocking us transfer of iron dome missile defense system to ukraine (has to be approved by both countries) because they don’t want to antagonize russia.

one of closest us allies…least aligned with americans on a core national security issue.

system is jointly developed by us and israel, so israel has every right to block.

but it’s a fully defensive system. feels like a bigger story than germany blocking estonia sending german-made weapons to ukraine.

It's pragmatism. It's expediency. It's disingenuous but the pathway to world peace is not made by moral crusading. The world was a far safer place before idiots like Tony Blair decided to go around removing every dictator they didn't like.
    I don't think the world was a safer place in the 1990's than it is today. We had several brutal wars in former Yugoslavia, genocide in Rwanda, the first Gulf War, war in Chechnya, South Ossetia, and Trandinistria, two civil wars in Liberia, two civil wars in the Congo, war in Timor, etc. etc.

In fact, the USA has handled Russia very well in the current dispute.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

MINSK
    CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
    STACK
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

image 🙂.

Like I care no one cares about my no one cares about your wordle score 😆
  • Options
    Heathener said:

There's going to be massive damage across the southern half of Britain on Friday.

Boris in Hi-Viz, clearing fallen trees in a JCB alert.......
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,461
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

It will if it is in the south as the south and London dominates the news anyway

Not to worry we have now had a red warning for Friday and it will feature on Welsh news hopefully
  • Options
    MattW said:

Farooq said:

MattW said:

OK. I have one.

-----

MINSK
    CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
    Spaak
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

image 🙂.

There's somebody who has never done Wordle in 2....
    Impressive. Very nice. Let's see Paul Allen's Wordle.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,052
    Heathener said:

Just like Storm Arwen did...
  • Options

Heathener said:

Not to worry we have now had a red warning for Friday and it will feature on Welsh news hopefully
    Do you have wind tonight, Big G?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Certainly doesn't look encouraging. I'm on an exposed southern hillside as well, which isn't a cheery thought.

My sister and her husband have just moved to a house on a northern facing slope, so they should be OK at least.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Also they may not want it falling into Russian hands if the invasion takes place and is successful. Probably don't trust Ukraine in terms of stopping spies and technical leaks.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
    STACK - 0X0X✓

(With that C, you need to check your reasoning)
  • Options

Heathener said:

Yes but not as serious as Fridays warning and especially coastal Wales where we live
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

Boris in Hi-Viz, clearing fallen trees in a JCB alert.......
    He was on course for majority 110+ before his attempt to mop out a shop.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192
    edited February 2022
    SUNAK

edit - doesn't fit
  • Options

Farooq said:

image 🙂.

BUNNY :lol:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Indeed and many others that hit Scotland, the North and Wales
  • Options

Farooq said:

image 🙂.

No one cares about your not caring that no one cares about your no one cares about your Wordle score.

This way lies madness...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Quite. Barely a murmur.

Although it did feature on our local news.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

I haven't time or space to educate you but others have done it far better.

Read here if you can leave aside your sneering for a minute:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/11305-major-storm-eunice-this-friday---synoptic-analysis

This one is really serious
  • Options

Heathener said:

Yes but not as serious as Fridays warning and especially coastal Wales where we live
    Yes it’s right people around by where you live should be warned about it
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

I thought it got plenty of coverage? I certainly heard lots of news reports regarding homes without power for many days.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Friday's forecast round this way (near Cambridge) doesn't look very much worse than tonight's, which isn't nice but is nothing to write home about. Hopefully this means that my walk to and from work on Friday won't entail gales throwing horizontal rain in my face...

Might be more drama down on the South coast though?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
    STACK - 0X0X✓

SUNAK - 0✓X✓✓

(Clue 3: How to contain the West)
  • Options

Farooq said:

image 🙂.

BUNNY :lol:
    Not going down that rabbithole.
  • Options
    MattW said:

CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
    STACK - 0X0X✓

SUNAK - 0✓X✓✓

Husak
  • Options
    Heathener said:

dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

I haven't time or space to educate you but others have done it far better.

Read here if you can leave aside your sneering for a minute:

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/news/11305-major-storm-eunice-this-friday---synoptic-analysis

This one is really serious
    And Arwen wasn't

Of course it is serious and not just for the south but very much for our coastal communities in North Wales and Northern England and Scotland

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Farooq said:

MattW said:

CLEGG - XXXXX
    BORIS - XXXX0
    MINSK - XXX0✓
    STACK - 0X0X✓

SUNAK - 0✓X✓✓

Husak
    ✓✓✓✓✓

Well done. :smile:
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

I would say that we are getting far more serious storms and frequently
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cowgirls At War - Episode Six

(A little off topic)
  • Options
    I've got one...

• Options

I've got one...

NEHRU
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,192

I've got one...

Sorry to hear that.

• Options
    MattW said:

I've got one...

NEHRU
    XXXOX
  • Options

MattW said:

I've got one...

NEHRU
    XXXOX
    ROYAL
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

I've got one...

NEHRU
    XXXOX
    ROYAL
    OXXOO
  • Options

Sorry Peter, I failed to distract them from it.

Perhaps on edge of nuclear war this evening, this thread is how the world ends.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

I've got one...

NEHRU
    XXXOX
    ROYAL
    OXXOO
    BLAIR ?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554
    Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Quite. Barely a murmur.

Jolly windy tonight, and this isn't the big one.
    Driving past Manchester Airport earlier, I noticed a distinct lack of activity.
    Just checked on flightradar 24 - not much coming in. And some of what is coming in clearly thinking better of it - this fella from Geneva had a couple of goes and then clearly decided Birmingham would be the better bet:
    https://www.flightradar24.com/EZY358Z/2ad79577
  • Options

Sorry Peter, I failed to distract them from it.

Perhaps on edge of nuclear war this evening, this thread is how the world ends.
    We'll be fine. Storm Eunice will blow away the fallout.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I've got one...

NEHRU
    XXXOX
    ROYAL
    OXXOO
    BLAIR ?
    YYYYY

Well done!
  • Options

pigeon said:

MattW said:

MattW said:

I've got one...

NEHRU
    XXXOX
    ROYAL
    OXXOO
    BLAIR ?
    YYYYY

Well done!
    Beat me to it.

Had got to "probably AILR in there", and looking for an answer !
  • Options

MattW said:

Wordle Today:

Wordle 242 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
    ⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Good effort. I had two choices and got the wrong one...

Wordle 242 4/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
    ⬜⬜🟩🟩⬜
    ⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
    Did your wrong choice begin with b?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Quite. Barely a murmur.

Just checked on flightradar 24 - not much coming in. And some of what is coming in clearly thinking better of it - this fella from Geneva had a couple of goes and then clearly decided Birmingham would be the better bet:
    Unlucky passengers.

A coach up the motorway awaits.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

dixiedean said:

Heathener said:

Quite. Barely a murmur.

I don't know where he's heading for, but it doesn't look like Birmingham.
This discussion has been closed.