Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson NOT being fined would be the worst Tory outcome – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

So much for Virginia Guiffre saying her lawsuit against Randy Andy was not about money ...

Or so much for Andrew being determined to clear his name. You pays your money you takes your choice.
    It's not entirely clear if he has paid any money to her. He has made a donation to her charity for survivors and expressed regret about his association with Epstein. It looks to me that her side has folded more than his, possibly because they have "lost" the photograph.
    So you think we can rehabilitate Andrew's impeccable character so he can re - board the gravy train?
    Not a chance.
    Short of the originals out of which the photo is alleged to have been fabricated appearing, I think not.
    Even then. People a hell of a lot smarter than Andrew (a very high percentage of the population, admittedly) were taken in by Epstein and Maxwell but jeez. What the hell was he doing there and did he really believe young girls were throwing themselves at him because he was a Prince? Thick, arrogant, delusional and sleezy, its not a winning combination.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,791
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

More than 720,000 people living in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions have obtained Russian citizenship. The Pleblicites on autonomy from Kiev can only go one way, which is why Western leaders are circumspect what they say about implementing Minsk II. Until gas guzzling addict Gashead Schulz came along…

I am very pleased someone else on pb.com (other than myself) has accepted what is very obvious to anyone with some knowledge of the area.

The plebiscites in Donetsk and Luhansk will only go one way. (Ditto the Crimea).

Ukraine should allow the UN to hold the plebiscites.
    Putin won't accept a vote where he doesn't control the count.
    Of course not. He is Stalin's heir, after all.
    In this, he is more Napoleon's heir.

Napoleon's brother never gets the credit for the elections he did the counting for.

I still like the story about the election of Napoleon to First Consul - One of his generals held a parade on election day and told his troops that the desk to vote Yes was in front of them. All those who wanted to vote No would be shot.
    Blimey, sounds as bad as the SNP.
    A minority party? Without an army under their control? You really are letting the winter weather affect you.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

So much for Virginia Guiffre saying her lawsuit against Randy Andy was not about money ...

Or so much for Andrew being determined to clear his name. You pays your money you takes your choice.
    It's not entirely clear if he has paid any money to her. He has made a donation to her charity for survivors and expressed regret about his association with Epstein. It looks to me that her side has folded more than his, possibly because they have "lost" the photograph.
    So you think we can rehabilitate Andrew's impeccable character so he can re - board the gravy train?
    Not a chance.
    Short of the originals out of which the photo is alleged to have been fabricated appearing, I think not.
    Even then. People a hell of a lot smarter than Andrew (a very high percentage of the population, admittedly) were taken in by Epstein and Maxwell but jeez. What the hell was he doing there and did he really believe young girls were throwing themselves at him because he was a Prince? Thick, arrogant, delusional and sleezy, its not a winning combination.
    It would not be particularly surprising or novel if some young girls did "throw themselves" at him because he was a Prince. However I suspect Andrews arrogance would result in him thinking they were doing it because he was a particularly desirable alpha male, rather than being a prince or that someone else was paying them.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

Not a chance.
    A mate of mine has spent time with him and he did not disappoint on those first two qualities apparently.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    Should SKS ask at next week’s PMQs something like “ Will the Prime Minister guarantee to investigate Russian investments held in the UK for possible money laundering or other criminal activities?”
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,342
    Applicant said:

More than 720,000 people living in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions have obtained Russian citizenship. The Pleblicites on autonomy from Kiev can only go one way, which is why Western leaders are circumspect what they say about implementing Minsk II. Until gas guzzling addict Gashead Schulz came along…

I am very pleased someone else on pb.com (other than myself) has accepted what is very obvious to anyone with some knowledge of the area.

The plebiscites in Donetsk and Luhansk will only go one way. (Ditto the Crimea).

How noble and democratic sounding.

Just like the Baltics in 1940.
    It's how the Slesvig-Holstein dispute was resolved - the border shifted back and forth as military advantage gave Germany and Denmark the edge, and after World War 1 the victorious allies offered it back to Denmark. The Danes said this is getting silly, let's have a vote, and we'll take the bits that vote to be Danish. About half decided to stay with Germany. That ended the dispute permanently, since everyone could see it was fair.

Only snag is that the dispute had run from 1460 to 1918. It would be good to solve the Donetsk Question in a similar way before 2470 AD. The Minsk model of regional autonomy a la Scotland may be more viable in the end, but Ukraine will only (perhaps) accept it if the Russian threat has receded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schleswig-Holstein_Question
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Sadly we do not know exactly what the result would have been had there been a free and fair vote. The Crimea referendum was riddled with corruption and certainly rigged by Russia. We mustn't mistake pretendy democracy for the real thing.
    Did Ukraine offer a plebiscite while it controlled the territory?

I agree about Putin's referendum, but an actual referendum under the auspices of the UN would not change the result (though it would be less overwhelming).
    Do we apply that UN process to any putative separatist territory?
    I get where you're coming from but I'm not sure why Ukraine should be forced into acting in a particular way other than the fact of Russia threatening violence. There is a competing interest here, that of national sovereignty. We can't hold Ukraine to one standard over Crimea without holding Russia to the same standard over Chechenya, or Mali over Azawad, or the UK over Cornwall. Coercion in international relations is deeply problematic and should be reserved for only the most grave of situations, and by no measure was Crimea anywhere near that situation until Russia came and bloodied things up.

So I know you're not talking about coercion, but I felt that was a necessary starting point because that should be our red lines. So when you talk about what Ukraine "should" do, let's be clear about what you mean. If Ukraine wants to say no to that kind of thing because it's being menaced by Russia to do that, that makes a lot of sense. We shouldn't encourage that kind of meddling. If Russia can behave itself first then in an ideal world I would agree with that "should". But, for me, practicality beats idealism in situations like this. It's just not wise to give in to threats.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

Not a chance.
    A mate of mine has spent time with him and he did not disappoint on those first two qualities apparently.
    Just as well we need never hear from him or see him in public ever again.

Though quite how he is going to fulfil his pledge to support the fight against sex trafficking and support its victims - see the announcement - is not entirely clear.

Let's hope he doesn't start roaming the streets at night a la Gladstone ......
  • Options
    TimT said:

Scott_xP said:

In a joint statement from lawyers for both parties there is no sign of Prince Andrew admitting guilt or apologising.

However he ‘regrets’ links to Epstein and accepts she was a victim of abuse.

Unclear what the financial settlement is, but expect it is millions of dollars. https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1493620900717109258/photo/1

As one of PBs staunch monarchists (and it’s awful I feel like a minority in this chat room) mixed feelings about this news story. It means Andrew can never clear his name now, which is sad for the monarchy ☹️

Whether you are a monarchist or not does not factor into his guilt. Given his record of behaviour, I think this is about as good an outcome for the monarchy as possible.
    Correct. Because like all good detective novels, Andrew is guilty of something, even if it is not a criminal offence. He stood by Epstein. He went to parties with Epstein. He invited him to Balmoral. In a context where fame, contacts, and impressions are key, he gave Maxwell and Epstein what they needed.

The details may be for dispute. But a Court could not have cleared him of the above charge.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/scotsyounglab/status/1493327418173624321?cxt=HHwWgsC42f7XrrkpAAAA

Scots Young Labour can stay. Guess which organisation is still run by Corbynites?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Time for people to move on from partygate, it's been done to death.

It's unfortunate the Met is wasting so much money on this.

Laughable
    I don’t know why Dale’s post appeared flagged. It was accurate and put more politely than many on this forum.

In Dales defence I’ll post “Boris sacked in dogminus 7 days.

Can Admins see who does the false flag’s and banish the naughty ones?

PS Gary, in my opinion its still rumbling in background like a volcano about to erupt wiping out all life in Boris Citadel. Whatever MET are paying for this, it’s cheap price for honesty and probity in government and rules of the land that treat everyone equally and fairly
    I do believe the flag is there to be used as clients wish and is not in the preogative of any single user stating how and when it should be used. Why would admin decide who is using and why or not?
    Surely freedom of speech applies on PB, within the law (OGH).
    PS: Even if implausible. Just look at the amount of Flags I have and each one of them undeserved, yet I suffer in silence.
    Moderation DO review Flags and Off Topics. They MAY take action against those who have done the flagging if they consider it unreasonable, as well of course as reviewing whether the Flag/Off Topic is justified and thus whether action should be taken against the poster who made the post which has been flagged. It is of course a matter for Moderator discretion.
    Thought police
    Would it be better, if possible, to do away with all buttons except quote?
    I rather like using the like button. I use it far more than I post. Vert occasionally I like something so much I have to say so also.
    Someone who uses the like button more than they post is the equivalent of a quietly supportive friend or parent.
    Glad to see you have still clocked up 27,000 posts (next post). Keep posting @kinabalu !
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Should SKS ask at next week’s PMQs something like “ Will the Prime Minister guarantee to investigate Russian investments held in the UK for possible money laundering or other criminal activities?”

I'm sure that the Prime Minister will have been assured that all law and guidance has been followed, and will be more outraged than anyone else to find out that there's suspected money-laundering, and claim credit for taking more action against it than anyone else ever, which we couldn't have done in the EU, and....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,257
    It is seldom I repost an entire lengthy comment just because it is inadvertently funny but I can’t resist doing it with @farooq

“Speaking of which, Leon slipped a nice little "great replacement" nugget into a post the other day (I don’t expect this epiphany to happen anytime before the Chinese regime’s “Legal Enslavement of Whitey Act 2043”) and eight people liked it. Eight. I think a few people who frequent right-wing social media circles have just become so used to seeing that kind of thing that they don't notice it. It's normalised.

The post, by the way, was a critical response to a "the west is to blame for this Ukraine situation", which was a fair enough criticism. But when thinking about a largely white Europe and a largely white Russia, I don't even know how he managed to decide ethnicity was an issue.
    Leon truly is the Boris of this forum. Scratch the eloquent grandeur and underneath is a desiccated heart of bitter hatred that is frightening to glimpse. A thoroughly nasty piece of work.”

I’m slightly proud that I have literally frightened farooq with a mere glimpse of my “desiccated heart of bitter hatred”

I hate to think what might happen if he got full exposure
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Leon said:

It is seldom I repost an entire lengthy comment just because it is inadvertently funny but I can’t resist doing it with @farooq

“Speaking of which, Leon slipped a nice little "great replacement" nugget into a post the other day (I don’t expect this epiphany to happen anytime before the Chinese regime’s “Legal Enslavement of Whitey Act 2043”) and eight people liked it. Eight. I think a few people who frequent right-wing social media circles have just become so used to seeing that kind of thing that they don't notice it. It's normalised.

The post, by the way, was a critical response to a "the west is to blame for this Ukraine situation", which was a fair enough criticism. But when thinking about a largely white Europe and a largely white Russia, I don't even know how he managed to decide ethnicity was an issue.
    Leon truly is the Boris of this forum. Scratch the eloquent grandeur and underneath is a desiccated heart of bitter hatred that is frightening to glimpse. A thoroughly nasty piece of work.”

I’m slightly proud that I have literally frightened farooq with a mere glimpse of my “desiccated heart of bitter hatred”

Just as a matter of interest, how does one get one's heart desiccated?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I know what you are, and I don't think I'm the only one who see you.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    AFP: Sites of Ukraine defence ministry, state banks under cyberattack: Kyiv

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1493631810672148490
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Freeze drying?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Laughable
    I don’t know why Dale’s post appeared flagged. It was accurate and put more politely than many on this forum.

PS Gary, in my opinion its still rumbling in background like a volcano about to erupt wiping out all life in Boris Citadel. Whatever MET are paying for this, it’s cheap price for honesty and probity in government and rules of the land that treat everyone equally and fairly
    I do believe the flag is there to be used as clients wish and is not in the preogative of any single user stating how and when it should be used. Why would admin decide who is using and why or not?
    PS: Even if implausible. Just look at the amount of Flags I have and each one of them undeserved, yet I suffer in silence.
    Moderation DO review Flags and Off Topics. They MAY take action against those who have done the flagging if they consider it unreasonable, as well of course as reviewing whether the Flag/Off Topic is justified and thus whether action should be taken against the poster who made the post which has been flagged. It is of course a matter for Moderator discretion.
    Thought police
    I rather like using the like button. I use it far more than I post. Vert occasionally I like something so much I have to say so also.
    Someone who uses the like button more than they post is the equivalent of a quietly supportive friend or parent.
    Glad to see you have still clocked up 27,000 posts (next post). Keep posting @kinabalu !
    Annnnd ... Break! :smile:

I'm going to read a book for a few days now instead. A big fat Japanese magical realist one.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

AFP: Sites of Ukraine defence ministry, state banks under cyberattack: Kyiv

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1493631810672148490

Uh-oh!
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,941
    Cyclefree said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

Not a chance.
    Just as well we need never hear from him or see him in public ever again.

Though quite how he is going to fulfil his pledge to support the fight against sex trafficking and support its victims - see the announcement - is not entirely clear.

Let's hope he doesn't start roaming the streets at night a la Gladstone ......
    I would imagine he’s in talks right now with Harry and Meghan to set up a charity where they will target wealthy men in positions of power who abuse this position and wealth to attract young women who would otherwise not look twice at them.

They could also attack the other end of the issue and seek to “out” those that benefit from the sex trade and to end the “Yachting” industry and other such ways in which young attractive young women are flown around the world and paid money to sleep with wealthy men and holiday on yachts and suchlike with them in glamorous locations and treated like meat.

I’m sure it’s something they could all get behind and make a big difference.
  • Options
    Once again most over-rated lawyer in America, namely David Boies, does what he does best: picks up a massive paycheck.

Helping Rancid Andrew get off the hook = helping W get into the White House

• Options

Once again most over-rated lawyer in America, namely David Boies, does what he does best: picks up a massive paycheck.

W?
  • Options

W?
    Bush Jr
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

In a joint statement from lawyers for both parties there is no sign of Prince Andrew admitting guilt or apologising.

Unclear what the financial settlement is, but expect it is millions of dollars. https://twitter.com/joepike/status/1493620900717109258/photo/1

I expect that it is not.

But his mum will be very relieved.
    Without the photo, there was no likelihood of her winning the case, because there was nothing connecting the two of them.

It reminds me of the Wagatha Christie story where key evidence somehow "disappeared".

My guess is that you are right, and she has is spinning a small donation as a big victory.
  • Options

Did he pick up a massive paycheck?

I somehow doubt it. I suspect he was the one who said "there is no likelihood of success and therefore I am not going to pick up a big paycheck, and therefore I'm not wasting another hour on it."
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Sadly we do not know exactly what the result would have been had there been a free and fair vote. The Crimea referendum was riddled with corruption and certainly rigged by Russia. We mustn't mistake pretendy democracy for the real thing.

I agree about Putin's referendum, but an actual referendum under the auspices of the UN would not change the result (though it would be less overwhelming).
    East Timor.

Indonesia relinquished its 27th province after a UN plebiscite in 1999.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

I expect that it is not.

But his mum will be very relieved.
    Without the photo, there was no likelihood of her winning the case, because there was nothing connecting the two of them.

It reminds me of the Wagatha Christie story where key evidence somehow "disappeared".

My guess is that you are right, and she has is spinning a small donation as a big victory.
    I bring and prove plenty of cases without pictures of the events happening. If you were Andrew, why would accept her spin? If it's $250,000, why not say that?
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

You mean the territory invaded by Indonesia in 1975 with no prior political attachment to what is now Indonesia pre-colonial times? The one brutally suppressed by the Indonesians? That 'province'?

"Indonesia's occupation of East Timor was marked by violence and brutality. A detailed statistical report prepared for the Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation in East Timor cited a minimum of 102,800 conflict-related deaths in the period 1974–1999, namely, approximately 18,600 killings and 84,200 "excess" deaths from hunger and illness, with an estimated figure based on Portuguese, Indonesian and Catholic Church data of approximately 200,000 death"

You have a very selective and partial reading of history, to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,257
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

I know what you are, and I don't think I'm the only one who see you.
    What am I? Genuinely intrigued
  • Options
    TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

You mean the territory invaded by Indonesia in 1975 with no prior political attachment to what is now Indonesia pre-colonial times? The one brutally suppressed by the Indonesians? That 'province'?

"Indonesia's occupation of East Timor was marked by violence and brutality. A detailed statistical report prepared for the Commission for Reception, Truth and Reconciliation in East Timor cited a minimum of 102,800 conflict-related deaths in the period 1974–1999, namely, approximately 18,600 killings and 84,200 "excess" deaths from hunger and illness, with an estimated figure based on Portuguese, Indonesian and Catholic Church data of approximately 200,000 death"

I was asked to provide an example of a separatist province whose fate was resolved by a UN plebiscite.

I provided one in East Timor.

Another is Northern Cameroon (1959)

I am not saying the politics are exactly the same.
  • Options

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

I was asked to provide an example of a separatist province whose fate was resolved by a UN plebiscite.

I am disputing it was ever a province. Most of the world never recognized Indonesian claims over East Timor.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Commemorative -2p bitcoin more like it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I somehow doubt it. I suspect he was the one who said "there is no likelihood of success and therefore I am not going to pick up a big paycheck, and therefore I'm not wasting another hour on it."
    If "there was no likelihood of success" why did Andrew settle?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

I am disputing it was ever a province. Most of the world never recognized Indonesian claims over East Timor.
    "Claiming that its assistance had been requested by East Timorese leaders, Indonesian military forces invaded East Timor on 7 December 1975, and by 1979 they had all but destroyed the armed resistance to the occupation. Following a controversial "Popular Assembly" which many said was not a genuine act of self-determination, Indonesia declared the territory a province of Indonesia (Timor Timur).

"Immediately after the invasion, the United Nations General Assembly and Security Council passed resolutions condemning Indonesia's actions in East Timor and calling for its immediate withdrawal from the territory. Australia and Indonesia were the only nations in the world which recognised East Timor as a province of Indonesia, and soon afterwards they began negotiations to divide resources found in the Timor Gap."
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

Indonesia regarded it as a province, which is exactly what I said.

"Indonesia relinquished its 27th province after a UN plebiscite in 1999"
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

It was never 'its'
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

PB tense-but-silly argument alert!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,636
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Laughable

Thought police
    Why, thank you.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

rcs1000 said:

If "there was no likelihood of success" why did Andrew settle?
    He may have had quite a bit of pressure from upstairs.

I'd not be at all suprised if he lost all his titles as part of a deal whereby HMQ's representatives agreed to pick up the tab.

It's no bad thing anyway - he clearly isn't some arch fiend, and having him in the headlines really helps noone.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

TimT said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

LOL. Not that tense. Perhaps pedantic. But what is PB if not pedantic? :D
  • Options
    So who has the bigger brass neck? Boris Johnson or Andrew Windsor?
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

LOL. Not that tense. Perhaps pedantic. But what is PB if not pedantic? :D
    Fair enough - I'd settle for just 'silly'.

Sometimes similar arguments have got completely out of hand on here but I am sure you two are far too sensible for that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

A heart bypass by an incompetent cardiac surgeon perhaps?
  • Options

Is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    boulay said:

Is that a euphemism?
    Two I think.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    I find myself agreeing with Nigel Farage about Ukraine's membership of NATO.

i.e. we should not entertain it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/15/should-not-entertain-nato-membership-ukraine/

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Heathener said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/15/should-not-entertain-nato-membership-ukraine/

Yet - following the sensible plan of do the opposite of whatever Nigel Farage wants immediately we should make them members.
  • Options

Thinking about the two - we could have been even worse off - imagine their lives had swapped like in Freaky Friday and we had Prince Andrew as PM and Boris flying a helicopter in a war……
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

In which case you're on the side of Mr Putin. Self determination isn't self determination if it has an asterisk.

Ukraine might not meet the criteria and might never never meet the criteria to join, but it should be allowed to try and apply as is it's choice as a sovereign nation.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Commemorative -2p bitcoin more like it

In March 2011, when allegations about Prince Andrew first surfaced, a bitcoin would set you back $1. In November 2019, when the Newsnight interview was broadcast, you could still get a bitcoin for $7049. Today the same coin would set you back $43,930.

So -2p is very unlikely.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Bloke who Russia Today call their favourite UK politician whilst he himself says Putin is the world leader he admires the most, takes Putin's side shocker.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    do we know how much the settlement was?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Donetsk and Luhansk?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,249
    edited February 2022
    Deleted - quote issues
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

A heart bypass by an incompetent cardiac surgeon perhaps?
    Isn't it the anaesthetist's job to manage the body fluids during surgery? So probably an incompetent anaesthetist.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Bloke who Russia Today call their favourite UK politician whilst he himself says Putin is the world leader he admires the most, takes Putin's side shocker.
    I literally don't understand any of that
  • Options
    RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

In which case you're on the side of Mr Putin. Self determination isn't self determination if it has an asterisk.

Ukraine might not meet the criteria and might never never meet the criteria to join, but it should be allowed to try and apply as is it's choice as a sovereign nation.
    No it's far more subtle and complex.

Ukraine joining NATO is sheer idiocy.

You have to know your history and why this would be so so inflammatory.

The best foreign policy is based around compromise, the worst around pig-headedness.

We must NOT let Ukraine join NATO.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

The best foreign policy is based around compromise, the worst around pig-headedness.

I agree, we should only allow Ukraine to join NATO if we are prepared to go to war with Russia as we would have to do to defend any other NATO nation.

We are not prepared to do that, so there is no point it joining
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Off topic.

Any thoughts on why Scotland is above the pack here?

• Options

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

No you weren't.
    I asked "Do we apply that UN process to any putative separatist territory?", not "have we applied that UN process to any putative separatist territory?

You should have been able to discern the meaning from the question alone, it's really quite clear, but I followed it up with examples. Unfortunately you snipped all that from the quote reply and I suspect you didn't read it, because the post is quite clearly talking about whether every country should be treated in the same way.

To put it another way, we should not make rules that apply only to the weak.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

I literally don't understand any of that
    Farage is a fan of Putin, his politics have served Putin's interests, divided Nato, the EU, the US and western countries internally. It is hardly surprising he wants what Putin wants.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

No, the worst is based around giving into bullies.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

TimT said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

East Timor.

No you weren't.
    I asked "Do we apply that UN process to any putative separatist territory?", not "have we applied that UN process to any putative separatist territory?

You should have been able to discern the meaning from the question alone, it's really quite clear, but I followed it up with examples. Unfortunately you snipped all that from the quote reply and I suspect you didn't read it, because the post is quite clearly talking about whether every country should be treated in the same way.

To put it another way, we should not make rules that apply only to the weak.
    And East Timor was never a putative separatist territory because the world had never accepted it as being Indonesian territory.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    MaxPB said:

And where the money is coming from.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

MaxPB said:

That we know, it's from the sale of the chalet. He had $15m leftover after repaying associated debt.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

No it really isn't.

I'm glad noone on this forum is involved in actual diplomacy. Since WWII it has served the world best when some amount of blind eye turning has gone on. Dictators have an important function in maintaining global stability.

It's when moral crusaders like Tony Blair and his buddy in the White House go around removing them that greater chaos ensues.

I know this may not be popular amongst armchair enthusiasts on here but I'm afraid it's how the real world works.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Off topic.

Because masks and social distancing are counter productive? Too early to be affected by half term.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That we know, it's from the sale of the chalet. He had $15m leftover after repaying associated debt.
    And how did he have the money to buy the chalet?

The sale of south-York?

Nothing funny there at all.

There is a horrid whiff around Andrew. If Boris is the “Great Unflushable” I would imagine Andrew is the “Great Unwaftable”.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

No it really isn't.

I'm glad noone on this forum is involved in actual diplomacy. Since WWII it has served the world best when some amount of blind eye turning has gone on. Dictators have an important function in maintaining global stability.

It's when moral crusaders like Tony Blair and his buddy in the White House go around removing them that greater chaos ensues.

I know this may not be popular amongst armchair enthusiasts on here but I'm afraid it's how the real world works.
    So when Putin eyes up the Baltics - what exactly do you think they should do?
  • Options
    boulay said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The sale of south-York?

There is a horrid whiff around Andrew. If Boris is the “Great Unflushable” I would imagine Andrew is the “Great Unwaftable”.
    Aiui he bought it a lot time ago for not a lot of money but there was some kind of lien on it that needed to be paid off before he could sell it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    Farooq said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

I don't pretend to be an expert on a lot of things. I know nothing about fusion reactors or aerodynamics or motorcycle maintenance or the names of different fabrics. But one thing I do take a very keen interest in is history. And one lesson I have learned from my fairly extensive reading is that you don't counter imperial aggression divided. You unite, or you get picked off one by one.
    NATO already covers most European nations up to Romania, Poland and the Baltic states. all united in mutual defence.

Expanding it to Ukraine however means we would have to be ready to go to WW3 if Russia invaded Ukraine, which we aren't
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I would have thought the right thing to do would be to have Ukraine in permanent "almost" status, like Turkey with the EU. They get to be on the path, but the destination is never reached.

I'm also generally disinclined to say "sure Vlad, we promise never to let a democratic Ukraine join, because that's what you want."
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    What does “WAF is watching you” mean? It’s what you get if you visit Privatbank’s website, the largest bank in Ukraine.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited February 2022
    Andrew’s settlement is unsatisfying.
    We’ll now never know the truth.

My suspicion, but of course it can only be a feeling, is that the photo is real; Andrew stupidly slept with one or more young girls at Epstein’s various lairs, but that his behaviour would be considered pretty much normal if he was a Hollywood actor like Leonardo de Caprio.

I believe Andrew is thick, arrogant, and deluded but not a rapist. Indeed, he’s essentially a victim of Epstein himself, since he seemed to have been used - like so many others - to provide Epstein with respectability.

Andrew wouldn’t be in this situation (which effectively has him removed from all public duties) if he hadn’t have given that deranged interview which seemed riddled with risible lies.

Bill Clinton and others have got away scot free.

Andrew’s only course of action now is semi-private charity work for a v long time (the Profumo “strategy”), but he probably can’t be arsed.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

No it really isn't.

Yeah, give Putin what he wants. Peace for our time.
    There is a good line

"Justice requires sacrifices. Are you ready to be one of them?"

Perhaps @Heathener is prepared to *be* a sacrifice to peace? Or is it OK only to talk of sacrificing others?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

Sorry, David, how do you mean, with the photo?
    She has now admitted that she does not have the original of the photo with Andrew's hand around her and Maxwell skulking in the background. There must have been a worry that the Judge would exclude all references to copies when its provenance could not be substantiated.
    It certainly would not have looked good if the original couldn't be produced. What mystifies me though is that it has been in circulation for years so if it was faked why didn't Maxwell or Andrew call it out straight away?

If someone produced a photo of me with someone I had "never met" I would have immediately said "that's a fake". I know Andrew is a bit challenged on the IQ front but I doubt his legal team are. Why only now?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

No it really isn't.

Count yourself lucky you don’t live in a dictatorship. You have freedoms enshrined in the law. You cannot be arbitrarily locked up. You are free to believe what you want, and can post it on line with repercussions. Claiming that dictatorships are a good thing is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read on here.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    OllyT said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

TimT said:

Sorry, David, how do you mean, with the photo?
    She has now admitted that she does not have the original of the photo with Andrew's hand around her and Maxwell skulking in the background. There must have been a worry that the Judge would exclude all references to copies when its provenance could not be substantiated.
    It certainly would not have looked good if the original couldn't be produced. What mystifies me though is that it has been in circulation for years so if it was faked why didn't Maxwell or Andrew call it out straight away?

If someone produced a photo of me with someone I had "never met" I would have immediately said "that's a fake". I know Andrew is a bit challenged on the IQ front but I doubt his legal team are. Why only now?
    The photograph going missing sounds like it has more to it than meets the eye given it was the key piece of evidence. Rather like the suicide of Epstein while on suicide watch.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited February 2022

Off topic.

Because masks and social distancing are counter productive? Too early to be affected by half term.
    Ethnic differences?

Data show delta affected more white Britons compared to ethnic minorities who were disproportionately impacted during Wuhan and alpha
    Data is not yet available for the omicron wave.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/14/middle-class-white-christians-risk-covid-third-wave/ (£££)

• Options

Heathener said:

Applicant said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

No it really isn't.

Count yourself lucky you don’t live in a dictatorship. You have freedoms enshrined in the law. You cannot be arbitrarily locked up. You are free to believe what you want, and can post it on line with repercussions. Claiming that dictatorships are a good thing is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read on here.
    Ooohhhh, I don't know. I can think of worse.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

What does “WAF is watching you” mean? It’s what you get if you visit Privatbank’s website, the largest bank in Ukraine.

Cyber attack is ongoing against a lot of websites in the Ukraine.

The Russians do this from time to time to prove that Putin has a tiny pee-pee.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

I didn’t say that, or state a preference. I merely explained what I believe Kiev and Moscow positions and interpretations are in Minsk II for us to relate to when Western Leaders express opinion on it. How well did I do at explaining it, I’m still waiting to hear.

If those elections are held I believe those regions vote to leave Ukraine sovereignty and borders. Is this what you really want to see happen my dear poet? Why do you think that would help?
    So we are agreed unanimously on PB? when in discussion here or comes up in any political discussion in media on Minsk Protocol, actually means - implement now is Pro Russia - renegotiate first (and any delay tactic) is pro Kiev?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

boulay said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The sale of south-York?

Aiui he bought it a lot time ago for not a lot of money but there was some kind of lien on it that needed to be paid off before he could sell it.
    Hmmm. We’ve both lived in Switzerland and know instinctively that a chalet in Verbier hasn’t been cheap for decades.

The Washington Post (chosen as a source as not UK paper) says that the dispute he had was over a $9m remainder payment for the purchase and the chalet is valued at $27m. He bought it in 2014 so I’m guessing that he didn’t put down say $1m and the value jumped from $10m to 27m in the meantime.

He must have put down a big sum which had to come from somewhere.

I suppose in a way it doesn’t matter apart from the fact that he’s an entitled arse who would never have earned anything like that with his brains and instead of any humility he’s an absolute pompous arse.

• Options

Off topic.

Ethnic differences?

Data show delta affected more white Britons compared to ethnic minorities who were disproportionately impacted during Wuhan and alpha
    Data is not yet available for the omicron wave.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/14/middle-class-white-christians-risk-covid-third-wave/ (£££)

Nope - the effect doesn't match areas with higher/lower areas of minorities.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

I don't pretend to be an expert on a lot of things. I know nothing about fusion reactors or aerodynamics or motorcycle maintenance or the names of different fabrics. But one thing I do take a very keen interest in is history. And one lesson I have learned from my fairly extensive reading is that you don't counter imperial aggression divided. You unite, or you get picked off one by one.
    NATO already covers most European nations up to Romania, Poland and the Baltic states. all united in mutual defence.

Expanding it to Ukraine however means we would have to be ready to go to WW3 if Russia invaded Ukraine, which we aren't
    So are we prepared to risk a larger war to defend Lithuania or Poland?
    If not, what does NATO even mean?
    If so, why do we care about them and not Ukraine?
  • Options
    I don’t get why Ukraine should join NATO at all. The idea is crazy.

NATO membership is not some kind of democratic perk. Its a defence alliance, and the more members, the more unwieldy it becomes. Moreover, Russia doesn’t want it, and while it seems unfair that Russia might have a veto on this matter, it’s just realpolitik.

Western policy should be focused on assisting Ukraine to cut down on the rampant corruption and backward agriculture sector that have been holding the country back, and further deepening economic links. The UK could play a v useful role here.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    edited February 2022

MaxPB said:

This might help.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/11/19/prince-andrew-the-indicted-oligarch-and-the-luxembourg-bank/

Not to get too conspiracy minded.... I keep seeing the odd story about the royal family and banks in the channel islands.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    kjh said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Laughable

Thought police
    I don’t have a problem with like button staying - but could it not have a slight negative in not being honest and straight sometimes if playing for likes? If you speak your mind, colour peoples view of you, your likes will drop off? So it undermines honesty?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Heathener said:

RH1992 said:

Heathener said:

So are we prepared to risk a larger war to defend Lithuania or Poland?
    If not, what does NATO even mean?
    If so, why do we care about them and not Ukraine?
    They got in first.

There doesn’t need to be some kind of “law” underpinning these things.
  • Options
    boulay said:

MaxPB said:

boulay said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The sale of south-York?

Hmmm. We’ve both lived in Switzerland and know instinctively that a chalet in Verbier hasn’t been cheap for decades.

The Washington Post (chosen as a source as not UK paper) says that the dispute he had was over a $9m remainder payment for the purchase and the chalet is valued at $27m. He bought it in 2014 so I’m guessing that he didn’t put down say $1m and the value jumped from $10m to 27m in the meantime.

I suppose in a way it doesn’t matter apart from the fact that he’s an entitled arse who would never have earned anything like that with his brains and instead of any humility he’s an absolute pompous arse.

Given the way that trophy properties have gone up - a high end Swiss chalet tripling in value since 2014 is what you'd expect.

At a guess the original provider of the $9m wanted the money from any purchase to go back to them directly, rather than trusting a Prince with their money....

A friend who works in private banking tells me comic stories of the financial engineering used by the apparently mega rich to try and purchase assets well out of their wealth class.
  • Options
    boulay said:

MaxPB said:

boulay said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The sale of south-York?

Chalets in Verbier were insanely expensive even in 2014. I would be staggered if prices had risen more than 30-40% since then.
  • Options
    Andrew called out the photo as fake in the interview. The only issue is that he also made a series of other claims which didn’t really sound accurate. Like his inability to sweat, and his recollection of being at Woking Pizza Express.

If you wanna make those claims, you’re gonna need to disclose medical reports and provide corroborating witnesses etc.
This discussion has been closed.