Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson NOT being fined would be the worst Tory outcome – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited March 2022 in General
imageJohnson NOT being fined would be the worst Tory outcome – politicalbetting.com

The next big question in “partygate” is whether the prime minister will actually face fixed penalty fines by the police for lockdown violations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    First.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Second.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    The worst scenario isn't Boris not being fined.

The worst scenario is Boris not being fined (because technicalities) while other people are fined.

Either way the longer Boris stays in power the more damage it does to the Tory party as he damages its reputation slowly and surely....

In other news 5 year bonds are now above 1.5% so that means fixed mortgage rates are going higher.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    edited February 2022
    If this were to happen, Labour should tie this to other forms of government corruption: lies; broken manifesto pledges; cash for access; cash for honours; contracts for mates; and so on.

Perhaps Starmer and Mandelson are more concerned with bringing down Jeremy Corbyn than Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    The real question here, which we can't know for sure, is whether Johnson is now fatally undermined as an electoral asset and will harm the Tories if he fights the next election or if he can turn it around. I suspect he is, and he'd be a liability, but he may be able to recover.

If he is a liability though, then OGH is quite right and we have an unfortunate position where the interests of Boris Johnson and The Conservative Party are completely opposed.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

If this were to happen, Labour should tie this to other forms of government corruption: lies; broken manifesto pledges; cash for access; cash for honours; contracts for mates; and so on.

More likely Starmer and Mandelson are more concerned with bringing down Jeremy Corbyn than Boris Johnson.

Starmer and co need to publicly remove Corbyn as there are a lot of former Labour voters who claim they need Corbyn to be gone before they will return to the fold.

Basically for every @bigjohnowls there are 3+ centre of the road voters who need to know the more extreme left won't get control before they can safely return to voting Labour.

And at the moment keeping Bozo in power is better for Labour than a competent Tory leader
  • Options
    I don't follow this thread header. The worst thing surely is Boris being fined, but then not being VONCed? Having a confirmed law breaker in post is surely the worst scenario.

If he's not fined, because he's not broken the law, then that would be strange given all the reporting that has happened - but if he's not actually broken the law then he's not broken the rules. But I expect he will be and surely being fined and then kept on is the worst case scenario?
  • Options
    eek said:

More likely Starmer and Mandelson are more concerned with bringing down Jeremy Corbyn than Boris Johnson.

Starmer and co need to publicly remove Corbyn as there are a lot of former Labour voters who claim they need Corbyn to be gone before they will return to the fold.

Basically for every @bigjohnowls there are 3+ centre of the road voters who need to know the more extreme left won't get control before they can safely return to voting Labour.

And at the moment keeping Bozo in power is better for Labour than a competent Tory leader
    That is why Labour needs to extend the tale of corruption beyond Boris.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited February 2022

I don't follow this thread header. The worst thing surely is Boris being fined, but then not being VONCed? Having a confirmed law breaker in post is surely the worst scenario.

If he's not fined, because he's not broken the law, then that would be strange given all the reporting that has happened - but if he's not actually broken the law then he's not broken the rules. But I expect he will be and surely being fined and then kept on is the worst case scenario?

Is fined = speeding fine type fine?

If the PM was clocked going at 81mph on the motorway I genuinely wouldn't know how much of one there would be or even if there would be an outcry.

Bl**dy idiot is what people might say and also there but for the grace of god...

And yes he did make the lockdown rules; he also made the speeding rules.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

The bit in bold doesn't actually follow to the average person, because so much of what they considered "the rules" was merely guidance not law.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

This is easy for Slippy Boris to deal with.

If he is not fined he says, "I understand the rules were confusing. It is wrong for anyone to be fined. There is an amnesty. And you get double your fines back, if not fully satisfied."

Much cheering and a few excitable Tory back-benchers shout of "A Freedom Loving People".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is fined = speeding fine type fine.

If the PM was clocked going at 81mph on the motorway I genuinely wouldn't know how much of one there would be or even if there would be an outcry.

Bl**dy idiot is what people might say and also there but for the grace of god...

When did Boris make the speeding rules?

Not repealing existing laws is not the same thing as introducing new ones. If there had never been a speed limit, then Boris introduced it, then that would be comparable, not having existing laws already being there.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Yes, if he isn't fined, it becomes tricky for Starmer to have ago at him without also appearing to criticize the police.
  • Options

Ultimately we can speculate Boris's future until the cows come home, but it is his mps who will decide and even if he stays for the time being any continuing threat to their seats will see them act and I expect in those circumstances sometime later this year
  • Options
    edited February 2022

TOPPING said:

Not repealing existing laws is not the same thing as introducing new ones. If there had never been a speed limit, then Boris introduced it, then that would be comparable, not having existing laws already being there.
    He is in charge of all rules and laws isn't he and they are therefore his responsibility.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    eek said:

I don't agree with this at all. Starmer has been strongest when he's been seen as a non-partisan, uncorrupt alternative to Johnsonism, uniting the centre and left over the last few months. During this period , in which he's also made no explicit attacks on the left, his national poll ratings have claimed as high as 44%.

If he returns to the tactics that kept dividing his supporters last year, up to and including the party conference, I predict a returning press narrative of "Labour Splits", and quite possibly defeat at the next general election.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think it helps to refer to them as FPNs. You can get an FPN for speeding, e.g. £100 and 3 points. Boris might get a FPN for the breaches. An FPN is not acceptance of an offence, although to all appearances, it certainly looks like one (e.g. you can be banned on the back of those points).

You can be fined for driving dangerously. Acceptance of a fine (or caution) is acceptance of an offence. I think it is very unlikely Boris will be fined, although I accept that Mike is probably talking about an FPN. It is possible he could be fined if he does not accept the FPN.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

He is in charge of all rules and laws isn't he?
    He introduced the lockdown rules personally, he enforced them upon us - not Blair, not Brown but Boris.

Breaking your own rules that you foist upon others is simply worse than breaking pre-existing rules that society is used to and socially accepts that they get broken from time to time like speeding.

The only way the speeding analogy could work is if say a German Chancellor against opposition enforced a speed-limit on the Autobahn where previously there was none, then broke it personally.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think it helps to refer to them as FPNs. You can get an FPN for speeding, e.g. £100 and 3 points. Boris might get a FPN for the breaches. An FPN is not acceptance of an offence, although to all appearances, it certainly looks like one (e.g. you can be banned on the back of those points).

You can be fined for driving dangerously. Acceptance of a fine (or caution) is acceptance of an offence. I think it is very unlikely Boris will be fined, although I accept that Mike is probably talking about an FPN. It is possible he could be fined if he does not accept the FPN.
    Yep that is what I was wondering - a fine might not be breaking the law meaning everyone is frustrated.

Those who want to keep him will say he hadn't broken the law but will have to accept that he has been fined for something; those who want him out will say he has been fined but will have to accept that he didn't break the law.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Breaking your own rules that you foist upon others is simply worse than breaking pre-existing rules that society is used to and socially accepts that they get broken from time to time like speeding.
    "worse" - so it is less bad for a PM to break pre-existing laws.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632

There are too many options for me.

No fine
    Small fine
    £10,000 fine

Triggers VONC
    Doesn't trigger VONC

I mean a £10k will trigger a VONC (if anything does), but he might win it, so no fine might be worse for Boris, or maybe not. It's hurting my head.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

The bit in bold doesn't actually follow to the average person, because so much of what they considered "the rules" was merely guidance not law.
    As Cyclefree and others have long pointed out, guidance was never a rule. The law is a rule, guidance is not.

Drinking 22 units of alcohol in a week in your living room is against government guidance, the guidance limit for a week for a male is 21 units.
    Drinking 22 units of alcohol in a night in the pub then driving home is against the law.

Only the latter is a breach of the rules. Even if some people chose to treat "guidance" as rules, it never was, and never has been.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

You can break the rules without breaking the law, as any ex-teacher would tell you. And then you can lie to teacher, claiming that you haven't broken the rules - it was that other boy.
    Whatever, Boris is a very naughty boy who deserves to be punished.
  • Options

I think the point is that he *is* guilty as charged. We know what the law was, what restrictions were in place and we largely did what we were told to. That he didn't is now accepted - only desperate Tories are waiting for the police report as the prima facie shows he did it.

So if he *isn't* find then it screams whitewash. And punters tend not to like being told that what they know, have seen, have experienced is wrong. Especially when its done in a tone-deaf way by politicians.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. The PM should not be above the law so should be subject to the relevant punishment, eg in that case 3 points and a fixed penalty notice.

But to break a law you've imposed on others, that is definitely far, far worse. Which means the inverse is clearly less bad.
  • Options

Applicant said:

As Cyclefree and others have long pointed out, guidance was never a rule. The law is a rule, guidance is not.

Drinking 22 units of alcohol in a week in your living room is against government guidance, the guidance limit for a week for a male is 21 units.
    Drinking 22 units of alcohol in a night in the pub then driving home is against the law.

Only the latter is a breach of the rules. Even if some people chose to treat "guidance" as rules, it never was, and never has been.
    When I used to go out cycling 3x per day during Lockdown 1 I kept on my phone screen the law, which was you could go out for exercise purposes (no limit or mention of frequency) vs the guidance which was once per day.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Whether fined or not, overseeing his staff partying whilst the Queen spent the night before Phillip's funeral alone has done damage that won't go away.
  • Options

eek said:

I don't agree with this at all. Starmer has been strongest when he's been seen as a non-partisan, uncorrupt alternative to Johnsonism, uniting the centre and left over the last few months. During this period , in which he's also made no explicit attacks on the left, his national poll ratings have claimed as high as 44%.

If he returns to the tactics that kept dividing his supporters last year, up to and including the party conference, I predict a returning press narrative of "Labour Splits", and quite possibly defeat at the next general election.
    Starmers unequivocal stance yesterday that labour will not rejoin the EU must have upset many who hoped he would move in that direction and may just encourage some to support the lib dems
  • Options

Applicant said:

Legally, this is correct.

Politically, after all the doom-laden propaganda we say over the relevant period, it isn't.
  • Options

Whether fined or not, overseeing his staff partying whilst the Queen spent the night before Phillip's funeral alone has done damage that won't go away.

For sure but that was some time ago and no one has acted so far so when does the justified outrage manifest itself.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

When I used to go out cycling 3x per day during Lockdown 1 I kept on my phone screen the law, which was you could go out for exercise purposes (no limit or mention of frequency) vs the guidance which was once per day.
    Exactly!

The law is the rule, the guidance is not.

Always was the case. You broke no rules cycling 3x per day.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Yes. The PM should not be above the law so should be subject to the relevant punishment, eg in that case 3 points and a fixed penalty notice.

But to break a law you've imposed on others, that is definitely far, far worse. Which means the inverse is clearly less bad.
    Bizarre that you should have constructed a hierarchy of transgressions wrt the law and the PM. It of course exists only in your head.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

Exactly!

Amazing that we are talking about an ordinance about when you could leave your house to go cycling. On your own.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

eek said:

Starmers unequivocal stance yesterday that labour will not rejoin the EU must have upset many who hoped he would move in that direction and may just encourage some to support the lib dems
    I think that will upset a few, but more direct attacks on Corbyn would be more damaging. Also very damaging would be the '90's-style noises emerging on areas like a "war on drugs". That really would be another very concrete sign that some of the New Labour-era people around Starmer still haven't grasped changes in the political climate, and then, yes, I think you could start to say a significant lib dem revival.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited February 2022
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Bizarre that you should have constructed a hierarchy of transgressions wrt the law and the PM. It of course exists only in your head.
    Not that bizarre considering its the conversation that has been dominating issues for months so we've all thought about it already. And yes, my opinions do reside in my head - yours reside in yours too.

Hypocrisy being an issue to take objection to is not just something that exists in my head. I find it odd you can't wrap your head around the hypocrisy of a PM introducing then breaking his own law - but I suspect you can and are just playing Devils Advocate.
  • Options

eek said:

I think there's a middle ground. For electoral purposes, Starmer needs to make it clear that the far left has absolutely no power within the party. He's pretty much done that already. But he doesn't then need a witch hunt of expulsions and so on.

It's often forgotten, despite my reminders, that Blair neutered the left without expelling them. Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott and many others moaned discontentedly on the backbenches throughout the Blair years, but nobody thought they had any say in policy or practice.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Not that bizarre considering its the conversation that has been dominating issues for months so we've all thought about it already. And yes, my opinions do reside in my head - yours reside in yours too.

Hypocrisy being an issue to take objection to is not just something that exists in my head. I find it odd you can't wrap your head around the hypocrisy of a PM introducing then breaking his own law - but I suspect you can and are just playing Devils Advocate.
    It is what resides in the heads of the PCP that matters.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,306
    edited February 2022

I do not support Boris, but in fairness he was not at Downing Street on that occasion, indeed he was at Chequers and that has widely been accepted

Indeed Sue Gray's report should provide detailed information on that outrage
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Applicant said:

Exactly!

Amazing that we are talking about an ordinance about when you could leave your house to go cycling. On your own.
    I've noted before the slide in standards of the Tory apologists.
    It started with outright denial; we're now in the middle of a contest to lower the hurdle that Boris has to clear to stay as PM.

Currently ankle height.
  • Options

eek said:

I think there's a middle ground. For electoral purposes, Starmer needs to make it clear that the far left has absolutely no power within the party. He's pretty much done that already. But he doesn't then need a witch hunt of expulsions and so on.

It's often forgotten, despite my reminders, that Blair neutered the left without expelling them. Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott and many others moaned discontentedly on the backbenches throughout the Blair years, but nobody thought they had any say in policy or practice.
    But they remained there, like a cancer metastasising within the party - and as they weren't removed they ended up coming back even stronger and more extreme than they'd been under either Foot or Militant.

There's a reason that the Tories are swift to expel the far right if any of those types end up in the party. Labour should do the same to the far left, who are just as unacceptable.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

eek said:

I personally find it very interesting how Starmer has been able to draw in a lot of support from the centre, left, and even centre-right - tory switchers - in the last few months, whlle conducting no public expulsions and attacks on the left.

Partly because of his very differing style, It seems to be taken for granted by many people that his leadership won't be Corbyn's. If I was him, judging by very consistent polling evidence of the last 18 months, in terms of public statements and public gestures about Labour internal politics, I would leave it very carefully at that.
  • Options

eek said:

This is not news. Starmer has been saying for the last two years, unequivocally, that we won't be rejoining the EU and that Brexit is over as an issue. He knows it would be electoral suicide to have 'rejoin' in any Labour manifesto for the foreseeable future. And I'd guess over 90% of Labour members support that view, whether for electoral or ideological reasons. Of course, that doesn't tie any hands 15 or 20 years down the line. And he will seek to improve trading and other relationships with the EU.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It is what resides in the heads of the PCP that matters.
    Yes and I suspect my view that the PM breaking his own rules is more serious than a fixed penalty notice for going a few miles faster than a speed camera allows is the one that will dominate.
  • Options

I think the point is that he *is* guilty as charged. We know what the law was, what restrictions were in place and we largely did what we were told to. That he didn't is now accepted - only desperate Tories are waiting for the police report as the prima facie shows he did it.

So if he *isn't* find then it screams whitewash. And punters tend not to like being told that what they know, have seen, have experienced is wrong. Especially when its done in a tone-deaf way by politicians.
    To me it is bizarre that people still have trust in the police and the CPS to investigate it fairly, particularly after the fill in a questionnaire, and have another week to get your answers co-ordinated approach to interviewing the suspects. Your average Joe would instead get a PCN based on a couple of minutes thought from a hostile PC Plod.

There is no point judging the PM by the results of a flawed police process when we all already know what has happened.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

He introduced the lockdown rules personally, he enforced them upon us - not Blair, not Brown but Boris.

The only way the speeding analogy could work is if say a German Chancellor against opposition enforced a speed-limit on the Autobahn where previously there was none, then broke it personally.
    To get an even stronger comparison - he brings in a new speed limit with great fanfare then appears almost every day for months on prime time tv telling the public how vital it is they observe it.
  • Options
    Every time Corbyn, the SWP, STW, Young Labour come out with some rubbish contrary to what Starmer says, he just looks more sensible. The Blair effect.

If Corbyn is not standing in Islington North for Labour as is rumoured, that is a few voters right there.

Starmer is shrewd and I think underestimated, I've said that since day one to much ridicule here.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I'm with you on this one. If the PM banned cigarettes, and was then caught having a sneaky fag in the Downing Street garden, he'd have to go, wouldn't he?
  • Options

eek said:

I want us to join the EU and think we will but I am happy to accept that Labour won't be making the running on this issue for now. I would expect that by the time we rejoin it will be supported by political opinion across the spectrum including many Tories.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I'm with you on this one. If the PM banned cigarettes, and was then caught having a sneaky fag in the Downing Street garden, he'd have to go, wouldn't he?
    Exactly!

Whereas PM having a sneaky fag when the guidance is that you shouldn't smoke may be politically an issue but it isn't breaking the rules.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    For those following the S Korean presidential election...

Bring back the bunnies: Lee, Yoon grapple with revolt of stronghold voters
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2022/02/356_323830.html
    ...The rabbit metaphor comes from an old Korean adage: "You can lose your pet rabbits if you're out looking for wild rabbits." The wisdom warns of an endangered opportunity cost, encouraging people to take good care of what they already have, and only then seek others that can give you extra benefit.

In most elections, both the conservative and liberal parties have similar portions of bunnies among the entire voting population. Therefore, the recipe for winning boils down to the consolidation of votes from bunnies with extra support from wild rabbits sufficient enough to turn the election in their favor.

The March 9 presidential election is exceptional...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

For me it depends on what the pre-existing law he breaks is. Eg although him breaking (new) Covid laws is bad I'd consider it worse if he broke the (old) murder or armed robbery laws. But this is just my opinion.
  • Options

eek said:

I want us to join the EU and think we will but I am happy to accept that Labour won't be making the running on this issue for now. I would expect that by the time we rejoin it will be supported by political opinion across the spectrum including many Tories.
    Wouldn't it also have to be supported by the EU?

After the fiasco of Brexit I shouldn't think they would want us back in a hurry and if they did it would certainly be on worse terms than we enjoyed previously.

Ain't happening. It's over. Forget about it.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,407
    edited February 2022

eek said:

I think that will upset a few, but more direct attacks on Corbyn would be more damaging. Also very damaging would be the '90's-style noises emerging on areas like a "war on drugs". That really would be another very concrete sign that some of the New Labour-era people around Starmer still haven't grasped changes in the political climate, and then, yes, I think you could start to say a significant lib dem revival.
    The idea of naming and shaming people convicted of drug offences was bizarre not for its authoritarian, unenlightened approach to the drugs problem but mainly because it pre-supposes a system where those convicted of these or any crimes are routinely granted anonymity for life. Priti Patel would be laughed at if she said anything as daft. Oh, she did.
  • Options

Starmer supporting not rejoining the EU seems to have upset the imaginary voters the Tories have decided aren't voting Labour.

Back in the real world, Starmer announced this policy literally whilst he was running for leader.

Brexit as an argument is over - if this is what the Tories wish to fight then Labour will win in a landslide. Out of ideas, out of touch. Time to go.

If you think the argument on Brexit is over you cannot be following this forum, and you may be surprised to learn that I am pleased he announced it yesterday removing any vestige of rejoining, notwithstanding the many in Labour who have never really left the EU in their mind and thought
  • Options
    It may turn out that our rulers will contrive to have broken no laws. However they did set guidelines. Most people complied, unhappily, and the police too often interpreted the guidelines as laws.

Our rulers did not think that even the guidelines applied to them. I find this just as appalling as selective lawbreaking.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    No, the Tory vote has recovered to about 34% because of the return of anti Covid restrictions voters to the Tories now restrictions have ended. They will not be concerned whether Johnson is fined or not, however some of the voters Labour has lost over the last week or 2 may return if Johnson is fined and seen to have broken the law.

If he is fined and found to have broken the law to the extent he is fined for it it will also be very difficult for him to stay in office as lead lawmaker
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

Whereas PM having a sneaky fag when the guidance is that you shouldn't smoke may be politically an issue but it isn't breaking the rules.
    But if the PM said in Parliament "I followed the guidance about not smoking at all times".... that's a bigger issue isn't it?

This comes down to two things: "criminality" (I realise that's not quite accurate in the context of PCNs but it's how the public see "breaking the law") and misleading Parliament. I don't think there's any significant doubt that the Tory party would tolerate and justify criminality if they thought the PM was their best route to retain power despite the criminality. I'm less sure that they will be prepared to line up behind the principle that it's OK for the PM to lie to Parliament to get himself out of trouble.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956

I would expect that by the time we rejoin it will be supported by political opinion across the spectrum including many Tories.

Yes.

If the Conservative and Unionist Party ever recovers from their takeover by parasitic Brexiteers they will propose "ever closer ties with our closest and largest trading partners" to avoid being the sick man of Europe. Again.
  • Options

eek said:

We are not going to rejoin for years by which time the UK and the EU will have changed beyond recognition
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271
    I agree with this. The cleanest way for Johnson to respond is by enclosing a cheque for a few hundred pounds with his police questionnaire for the few events the now accepts broke the rules. It would make it easier for those who want rules to be followed, but also want to forgive him, to do so.

Getting off on a technicality would make it harder to draw a line under the affair.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

But if the PM said in Parliament "I followed the guidance about not smoking at all times".... that's a bigger issue isn't it?

This comes down to two things: "criminality" (I realise that's not quite accurate in the context of PCNs but it's how the public see "breaking the law") and misleading Parliament. I don't think there's any significant doubt that the Tory party would tolerate and justify criminality if they thought the PM was their best route to retain power despite the criminality. I'm less sure that they will be prepared to line up behind the principle that it's OK for the PM to lie to Parliament to get himself out of trouble.
    But isn't that what is already happening?
  • Options

Applicant said:

So what happens to all the people who were fined?
  • Options

eek said:

Wouldn't it also have to be supported by the EU?

After the fiasco of Brexit I shouldn't think they would want us back in a hurry and if they did it would certainly be on worse terms than we enjoyed previously.

Ain't happening. It's over. Forget about it.
    Yes certainly worse terms, that's why we shouldn't have left in the first place.
    People don't like being poorer than they have to be, though. If the EU still exists in 25 years, I think it is highly likely we will be a member.
  • Options

Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

Yes it has happened and they have tolerated it.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

eek said:

So will Starmer now admit his efforts to frustrate Brexit demonstrated poor judgment?
  • Options

eek said:

We are not going to rejoin for years by which time the UK and the EU will have changed beyond recognition
    Eurozealots still have the problem that rejoin means the euro and Schengen, and they've never believed that they could sneak that past the British people.
  • Options

eek said:

I don't disagree with that. That's why I am totally fine with Starmer's position.
  • Options

eek said:

So will Starmer now admit his efforts to frustrate Brexit demonstrated poor judgment?
    Of course he won't but it was clear and obvious at the time
  • Options

Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

I've not followed every contortion of the PM's loyal outriders seeking to justify him on the media rounds, but as far as I know the response to any question about whether he misled Parliament in saying that all guidance had been followed continues to be "wait for the report" and now "wait for the police investigation" - we are at a stage where the PM's supporters are praising him for apologising while not admitting in terms that he did the things that he apologised for. At some stage the process will stop and there will either be a PCN or a report which states clearly what happened, and that's likely to contradict a number of statements in Hansard. I think that will be a different phase; consensus view seems to be that any previous PM would resign in that situation, but this one won't.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271

There are those who want to be able to say: yes, he made a mistake, something we all do, but he's paid his fine now, justice has been done, time to move on to more important things.

If he's not fined then they have to say that the police have decided he did nothing wrong - but more of the public would find that more difficult to accept than the former argument. There would be a feeling that natural justice had been denied. There would be a greater impetus for dethroning Johnson to achieve that justice.
  • Options

What efforts?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Scott_xP said:

I would expect that by the time we rejoin it will be supported by political opinion across the spectrum including many Tories.

Yes.

If the Conservative and Unionist Party ever recovers from their takeover by parasitic Brexiteers they will propose "ever closer ties with our closest and largest trading partners" to avoid being the sick man of Europe. Again.
    We were the sick man of Europe in the late 1970s despite having been in the EEC under a Labour government with high taxes, nationalised industries and frequent union strikes.

It was Thatcher who stopped us being the sick man of Europe, not being in the EEC/EU.

In 20 to 30 years if immigration is under control and a Labour government has aligned more closely to the EEA then a future Tory government might accept that but the Tories will never propose rejoining the full EU again
  • Options
    Applicant said:

eek said:

Eurozealots still have the problem that rejoin means the euro and Schengen, and they've never believed that they could sneak that past the British people.
    We won't rejoin the EU, the question is how do we more closely align to the EU in such a way that we can export and import things without issues.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

What efforts?
    :D
  • Options

eek said:

Why? We are starting from a different point (out not in) at a different time. Both stances are valid. In fact they are both my stance. I wanted to stop Brexit, but now we have done it I want to make the best of it. Rejoining in the near future is not that.
  • Options

eek said:

Based on what BREXIT now is - our inability to trade properly and our castration as a regional power? No. What the 2017 parliament should have done was pushed the Norway+ route over St Theresa's head. They failed to agree a single option so we went with no option.
  • Options
    Disposal
    126. The collective effect of the conclusions set out during this judgment is that the claim brought by Good Law Project fails in its entirety. The claim by the Runnymede Trust fails on Grounds 1 and 3; it succeeds on Ground 2 only to the extent that the decisions on the process to be used when appointing to the positions of Interim Chair of NIHP in August 2020, and Director of Testing at NHSTT in September 2020 were made without compliance with the public sector equality duty.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/The-Queen-on-the-application-of-1-Good-Law-Project-2-Runnymede-Trust-v-1-Prime-Minister-SSHSC-judgment.pdf
  • Options
    edited February 2022

eek said:

I don't disagree with that. That's why I am totally fine with Starmer's position.
    Yes, I think there's a general acceptance we won't be any time soon. What Starmer didn't say, ofcourse, is that he'd ruled out closer relations, rejoining the SM, or any moves like them. Instead he talked about the need for a "plan" and "opportunities."

I think it's very possible Britain will be out of the EU but back in the single market in a few years.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No, the Tory vote has recovered to about 34% because of the return of anti Covid restrictions voters to the Tories now restrictions have ended. They will not be concerned whether Johnson is fined or not, however some of the voters Labour has lost over the last week or 2 may return if Johnson is fined and seen to have broken the law.

If he is fined and found to have broken the law to the extent he is fined for it it will also be very difficult for him to stay in office as lead lawmaker

You last sentence contradicts itself

If he is fined by definition he has broken the law, and in that circumstance his mps have to decide their future though IDS said over the weekend Boris would have to resign if fined
  • Options

eek said:

Frustrating Brexit and not facilitating a harmful maximalist Tory interpretation of the Brexit vote aren't the same thing. It wasn't Starmer's fault that May lost her majority and couldn't persuade her own side to back her shit deal.
  • Options

Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

I'm afraid it is, yes. He has beyond all reasonable doubt to a reasonable person lied to parliament multiple times. Yet he has not resigned and his MPs have not sacked him. Ergo lying to parliament is no longer a resigning matter. Such is the damage that this man is doing to our politics. It will continue until he's gone.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What efforts?
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/keir-starmer-defies-jeremy-corbyn-to-say-labour-could-back-second-eu-referendum
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yes.

You are facing years of fruitless 'howling in the wind' over this now Labour have ruled out rejoining
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,941

eek said:

Based on what BREXIT now is - our inability to trade properly and our castration as a regional power? No. What the 2017 parliament should have done was pushed the Norway+ route over St Theresa's head. They failed to agree a single option so we went with no option.
    (puts tin hat on)

The speaker should have forced the commons to vote via STV in the meaningful votes, thereby discovering which outcome the Commons disliked the least & allowing things to move forward with a full vote in the Commons for that option afterwards.
  • Options

eek said:

You're right, of course, and so should the 2015 parliament from day 1 after the referendum. But that would have required the Eurozealots to admit defeat.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

I'm afraid it is, yes. He has beyond all reasonable doubt to a reasonable person lied to parliament multiple times. Yet he has not resigned and his MPs have not sacked him. Ergo lying to parliament is no longer a resigning matter. Such is the damage that this man is doing to our politics. It will continue until he's gone.
    I wouldn't assume it will all improve when he finally slopes off. The sickness in the Tory party goes way beyond one man.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,447

eek said:

I doubt that it will have that effect TBH. In any event Ed Whotsit simply lacks the pizzazz to make much impact. Best the LibDems can hope for is to slipstream behind Labour and pick up a few marginals from the Tories.

From Starmer's POV this is all about future-proofing the General Election campaign and preventing Boris from exploiting fears about a referendum re-run.

If we accept that Boris may hang on, then the biggest threat to the opposition is their respective leaders' extraordinary lack of personality or oomph. Major was facing Blair and Ashdown. What a contrast with Starmer and thingummy. This personality issue matters - look how Theresa May threw away her apparently unassailable poll lead in 2017.
  • Options
    Applicant said:

eek said:

You're right, of course, and so should the 2015 parliament from day 1 after the referendum. But that would have required the Eurozealots to admit defeat.
    There is, naturally, plenty of blame to go around & the pro-Euro / anti-government factions’ refusal to vote for any of the saner options in the meaningful votes is absolutely on them.

Equally, Brexiteer intransigence & unwillingness to understand EU red lines is /also/ what got us where we are today. Euro die hards and mad Brexiteers holding hands across the aisle: a love song for the ages.
  • Options
    However it works out it is becoming clear that the 'rules' were not important to Johnson personally.

Which naturally leads us to speculate why they were introduced.

In my view Johnson created the rules to make it look like the government cared. Pandering to the bleeding hearts, etc. And then there was added corruption, a pandemic is like a war, no expense spared government contracts, money to be syphoned off to your mates. No respect for the rule of law.

They knowingly chose this choice. It makes the Conservative Party (but not their voters) an enemy within. They need to get their house in order.

Depressing stuff.

• Options
    Phil said:

eek said:

(puts tin hat on)

The speaker should have forced the commons to vote via STV in the meaningful votes, thereby discovering which outcome the Commons disliked the least & allowing things to move forward with a full vote in the Commons for that option afterwards.
    In my opinion tin hat not needed. Can the speaker do that? Don't see why not.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Polruan said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Exactly!

I am not sure his MPs have decided not to sack him for lying to Parliament because they are still able to pretend to themselves that it's not proven and that due process has to be followed. The crunch point will be when it's completely evident and they have to defend the position they take. If they justify it and insist it's not a resigning matter the damage will be permanent though, because a system that allows lying will be one in which politicians prepared to be dishonest will have an advantage over those who try to be truthful.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

Scott_xP said:

Yes.

You are facing years of fruitless 'howling in the wind' over this now Labour have ruled out rejoining
    I suspect the best route for anyone wanting to rejoin would be:

1. Move to Scotland and claim Scottish nationality (which at the moment isn't a thing)
    2. Pray for, campaign for and vote for Scottish independence
    3. Pray for, campaign for and vote for Scotland to join the EU

Could be a tortuous wait ;)
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 902
    The current opinion polls do not factor in the tendency of lifelong Conservative voters to stay at home in disgust at Boris's antics. Look at the Conservative vote in recent by-elections including the ones they won.
  • Options

Starmer supporting not rejoining the EU seems to have upset the imaginary voters the Tories have decided aren't voting Labour.

Back in the real world, Starmer announced this policy literally whilst he was running for leader.

Brexit as an argument is over - if this is what the Tories wish to fight then Labour will win in a landslide. Out of ideas, out of touch. Time to go.

If you think the argument on Brexit is over you cannot be following this forum, and you may be surprised to learn that I am pleased he announced it yesterday removing any vestige of rejoining, notwithstanding the many in Labour who have never really left the EU in their mind and thought
    I'm sorry, but Brexit is talked about more on here by those in favour of it rather than those opposed.

Despite what you say, I struggle to think of any Labour (or Lib Dem for that matter) supporter on here who thinks that 'rejoin' should be in their manifesto for the next election. If there are any, they are few in number. Indeed, I think the strongest anti-Brexit rhetoric on this forum comes from a couple of disillusioned Tory supporters.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    Morning all, and thanks for the piece Mike.

A link for then day.

Quite a strong speech by Guy Verhofstadt, suggesting amongst other things activating the EU equivalent of NATO's Article 5. That is, Article 42 of the Maastricht Treaty.
    https://www.facebook.com/100044392570724/posts/497892415033840/?d=n
  • Options
    kjh said:

Phil said:

eek said:

(puts tin hat on)

In my opinion tin hat not needed. Can the speaker do that? Don't see why not.
    The tin hat is for the PB flame war that inevitably breaks out when voting systems are discussed!

In answer to the question: probably not, unless a vote was taken beforehand by Parliament itself to approve of the procedure? That would be my guess.
  • Options

You are facing years of fruitless 'howling in the wind' over this

I am resigned to years of Brexiteers howling and whining that this is not the Brexit they wanted and the opportunities of Brexit have been wasted and Brexit would have been better with a different leader while sensible Conservatives argue for ever closer integration with the EU
This discussion has been closed.