Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It is still odds-on that Johnson won’t last the year – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,725
edited March 2022 in General
imageIt is still odds-on that Johnson won’t last the year – politicalbetting.com

This is a market that we have not looked at for a few weeks and as can be seen from the chart the situation remains largely unchanged on the betting markets. Most of the money is going on a Johnson exit in 2022.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    First like the Rams. :(
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,873
    edited February 2022
    First. Ish.

"The Rams"? Who he?

Morning all - did we have an eirenic weekend on PB? I've been busy.

This morning I've been listening to France 24, the French Govt owned news station.

They are talking about "the diplomatic standoff between Russia and Ukraine".

So, the proposal for this week:

Invade and annexe Britanny.
    Foment a separatist movement in Alsace, and get say 15k people killed.

Then we can have a 'Diplomatic Standoff' with Paris.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,903
    edited February 2022
    Third like Truss in the forthcoming leadership contest.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    edited February 2022
    FPT:

Worth reading the whole thing

What's happening to Boris Johnson's support? A thread based on a talk I gave last week

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1493135620465729537?s=20&t=zDeiA-TtyBFszDhbFJ6p8g

"Changing the PM" may not be the panacea some hope.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,405
    I agree with this and that Matthew Goodwin thread on Twitter is quite telling.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,136
    (FPT)

Nigelb said:

Fracking is just a waste of time. We know that the current plan is to eliminate all fossil fuels from the national grid by 2035. So this already implies large reductions in gas use over the next decade. Why would you spend a few years investing into fracking only to see the market for your gas disappear? Why put lots of effort into two transitions - from imported gas to domestic gas and then from gas to renewables - instead of just speeding ahead with the transition already underway as quickly as possible?

Build more wind energy. A *lot* more wind energy. Build battery plants. Put a few eggs in some other baskets too (tidal, nuclear, interconnectors to Icelandic geothermal and Moroccan solar).

...Domestic gas is a potentially cheaper and cleaner alternative to imported gas. Its something we should be seriously look into. If we could use up proposed sites before the switch to alternatives is complete then that's a cleaner, cheaper and geopolitically safer alternative.
    Why would it be cheaper ?
    Clearly domestic production would be of great benefit to the exchequer, but in terms of end prices there's be little or no difference.

But you still haven't answered the question of how quickly a significant (as opposed to token) domestic supply might be possible.
    This is the same inane nonsense that people say to oppose windfarms. They're just tokenistic etc

Serious change is achieved by a series of 'small' steps. And domestic prices are high because globally supply is low (largely due to an absence of investment in fracking compared to pre-pandemic) while consumption is high (due to a resurgence in demand post-pandemic). Increasing supply would help to address that imbalance.
    Try again with a substantive answer.
    The point is that any investment in fracking in the UK has a limited lifetime for political reasons. That could be as short as a couple of years if Labour are the next government.

How long before production quantities of gas are produced ? You have no idea.
  • Options
    I'll believe he's gone when he's gone.

FPT:
    F1: the McLaren apparently has pull rod suspension. And push rod suspension. One at the front, one at the back.

This is hard to copy and will either work cunningly or embugger the car, apparently.

Current odds are 26 for Norris, Ricciardo 41, McLaren 26 (Ladbrokes, oddly, Betfair has all the odds substantially shorter).

Lengthens to 29 and 46 with boost, and I've put dinky sums on. If you've got a free bet, worth considering.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,873
    Thanks for the Header, Mike.

I don't see Johnson going because of a Fixed Penalty notice, unless defenestrated from behind. If it were a £10k fine, that might be different. Maybe.

The precedent, if it is one, from MPs in Parliament sent to prison is now to stay to the bitter end.
  • Options
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-brexit_uk_620a1851e4b03230246d43a2

The Red Wall now continues its slow return back to Labour.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,133
    MattW said:

I don't see Johnson going because of a Fixed Penalty notice, unless defenestrated from behind. If it were a £10k fine, that might be different. Maybe.

The precedent, if it is one, from MPs in Parliament sent to prison is now to stay to the bitter end.

Johnson will see his only problem, in the event of a fine, as who can he get to pay it for him.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    tlg86 said:

First like the Rams. :(

For the first time in a while, I thought it was actually a decent game.

The key point was the decision to play on at 4th & 1, 30 yards out with six minutes left. Most would have taken the field goal to close the gap to a single point.

Twitter seems to have liked the half time show of the ageing rappers, as today’s fortysomethings show their kids they know all the words to Dre, Snoop and Em. ;)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,727
    Landed Heathrow Terminal 3 about 7.40am

Through passports and collected bags by 8.05

Got super lucky with the Heathrow Express. Back in my flat by 8.50

About one hour from landing to sitting at home

Now tell me Heathrow is not impressive!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,582
    edited February 2022

FPT:

What's happening to Boris Johnson's support? A thread based on a talk I gave last week

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1493135620465729537?s=20&t=zDeiA-TtyBFszDhbFJ6p8g

Except that his ratings are now dire and mirror (and probably drive, to a large extent) the fall in the other indicators. Even a clear majority of Tory voters now think he is "incompetent"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,856
    edited February 2022
    Tired or Wordle & Nerdle?

Here's "WorlDle" - guess a country by its shape:

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    https://worldle.teuteuf.fr

Wrong answers provide distance and direction to correct answer. Distance is "centre to centre" - so adjacent countries aren't "zero", which contributed to my stunning performance.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Assuming there isn’t a smoking gun email or message from Johnson himself, saying “let’s have a big party, we know we are not allowed parties so everyone be quiet about it”, then he’s probably going to be okay, as much as that will annoy his political opponents.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Except that his ratings are now dire and mirror (and probably drive, to a large extent) the fall in the other indicators. Even a clear majority of Tory voters now think he is "incompetent"
    Yes - but the policy issues like "tax and spend', "sense of purpose" and "immigration" aren't simply solved by changing PM.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,601

FPT:

There are some interesting things in that thread, but it's also a good example of how Goodwin is a one-note commentator who is pushing a preconceived agenda, and only makes good points when the facts accidentally coincide with that.

I've checked the last three YouGov polls and all three show Labour picking up more support from 2019 Tories than Reform, but Goodwin simply doesn't show that data in favour of showing those who switch to Reform, and implying that the don't knows can be lumped in with them.

This is so that he can push his narrative of the Tories losing voters to their right, rather than them losing voters to their left.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,510
    Leon said:

Are you depressed yet? :) Welcome back - its clear you had a cracking time.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,087

F1: the McLaren apparently has pull rod suspension. And push rod suspension. One at the front, one at the back.

F1: Almost all F1 cars have had push-rod front/pull-rod rear for the past decade.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Assuming there isn’t a smoking gun email or message from Johnson himself, saying “let’s have a big party, we know we are not allowed parties so everyone be quiet about it”, then he’s probably going to be okay, as much as that will annoy his political opponents.
    It's going to drag on isn't it. Until most people have forgotten all the hurt.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

F1: Almost all F1 cars have had push-rod front/pull-rod rear for the past decade.
    Yes, and McLaren have just unveiled a car with it the other way around. Pull rods at the front.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sPdLWnMy0tU
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    Dura_Ace said:

And this is the other way round. https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hughes-mclarens-unconventional-2022-suspension-explained/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

I like the way you continually set lower hurdles for your guy to stumble over.
  • Options

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

Wrong answers provide distance and direction to correct answer. Distance is "centre to centre" - so adjacent countries aren't "zero", which contributed to my stunning performance.

I'm enjoying the hard mode, which removes the outlines and forces you to guess on distances alone.
  • Options
    Matthew Goodwin is convinced there's a realignment in our politics yet as soon as Boris Johnson disappears, the realignment does too. Perhaps it was not a realignment but instead an unpopular leader being thrashed as we have seen time and time again.

But I don't have two PhDs, so what would I know.
  • Options

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

How about a game where you have to guess which wordle spin off it is you are actually playing?
  • Options

Leon said:

Are you depressed yet? :) Welcome back - its clear you had a cracking time.
    It was lush out there in Lanks. Luckily the sun was shining brightly as we landed at LHR, maybe even a tiny hint of spring in the warmth. Could have been a lot worse
  • Options

FPT:

There are some interesting things in that thread, but it's also a good example of how Goodwin is a one-note commentator who is pushing a preconceived agenda, and only makes good points when the facts accidentally coincide with that.

I've checked the last three YouGov polls and all three show Labour picking up more support from 2019 Tories than Reform, but Goodwin simply doesn't show that data in favour of showing those who switch to Reform, and implying that the don't knows can be lumped in with them.

This is so that he can push his narrative of the Tories losing voters to their right, rather than them losing voters to their left.
    Isn't Goodwin's point, that over the last two years:

One side effect of all this is the sharp rise in the share of 2019 Conservative voters who have either drifted back into apathy, who now say they will not vote at all at the next election, or who have switched to Reform. The former is a much bigger group than the latter.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1493139134596136960?s=20&t=1-tpfm4rKe7IH-FNZBTGqw
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Boris remaining in Number 10 might annoy those who care about standards, truth and even democracy but I'd have expected his political opponents, at least those on the benches opposite, might prefer that eventuality with a view to the next election, rather than allowing a new PM to rebrand the Conservatives as a new government yet again.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978

I'll believe he's gone when he's gone.

FPT:

This is hard to copy and will either work cunningly or embugger the car, apparently.

Current odds are 26 for Norris, Ricciardo 41, McLaren 26 (Ladbrokes, oddly, Betfair has all the odds substantially shorter).

Lengthens to 29 and 46 with boost, and I've put dinky sums on. If you've got a free bet, worth considering.

The push rod at the back seemingly has no advantage? Odd one according to some experts

..what I am fascinated by is just how different these cars are (excluding red bull and then showing the show car). All different interpretations. The Aston Martin looked glorious
  • Options

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

A staple of University Challenge. Some students can identify any country (or even regions or state, such as in America, India or France) by its outline and any city from a dot on a map.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

I like the way you continually set lower hurdles for your guy to stumble over.
    I’m not a massive Boris Johnson fan, believe it or not, but I do think the bar to charge the prime minister with a criminal offence should be a high one, and a decision made on the facts of the case against him and the law at the time relating to homes and offices as appropriate, rather than political arguments about birthday cakes being evil.

If he is found guilty of an offence, then of course he should resign.
  • Options

FPT:

Slide 5 does say most Tories are switching to WNV
  • Options

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

A staple of University Challenge. Some students can identify any country (or even regions or state, such as in America, India or France) by its outline and any city from a dot on a map.
    It's a lot harder if you let them rotate it. We get so used to north at the top that even a simple 180 degree rotation can make the Earth look like another planet.
  • Options
    OK I've forgotten how to do this, it's been so long since my last long haul. Over 2 years!

Getting the first wave of jetlag and serious tiredness. Do I try and push through to a reasonable hour of the evening? Or give up and crash for a couple of hours now?

• Options

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

Weren’t middle schoolers doing that on “You Bet”, back in the ‘80s?
  • Options
    https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-boris-johnson-jimmy-savile_uk_620a1441e4b0ccfb3e57c9af

Boris Johnson must apologise or we're going to have another dead MP on our hands. Despicable behaviour.
  • Options
    Leon said:

OK I've forgotten how to do this, it's been so long since my last long haul. Over 2 years!

Getting the first wave of jetlag and serious tiredness. Do I try and push through to a reasonable hour of the evening? Or give up and crash for a couple of hours now?

Keep going and get as much sunlight and light exercise (eg a walk) as possible.
  • Options

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

I prefer this implementation of that idea.

https://globle-game.com/
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Crash now, set the alarm for around 1-2pm, then go to the pub for the afternoon.

Edit: oh, and don’t forget it’s Valentine’s Day today, if you need to send flowers to anyone.
  • Options

Leon said:

Sunlight ?
    LOL.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Crash now, set the alarm for around 1-2pm, then go to the pub for the afternoon.
    Push on today as long as you can is our normal procedure. Although sometimes takes a while to get back to normal if one hasn't a lot to do.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Sunlight ?
    LOL.
    There are, in fact, pure blue skies over London right now. Not forecast to last, mind
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Sunlight ?
    LOL.
    Sunny on the south coast....
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Lewdle is the best spinoff. :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

Slide 5 does say most Tories are switching to WNV
    But in a later graph he combines the figures for Reform/WNV/DK.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have a kip, but limit it, then try to go to bed at normal time.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

#Worldle #24 X/6
    🟩🟩🟩🟩⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨

Weren’t middle schoolers doing that on “You Bet”, back in the ‘80s?
    Absolutely no idea. I'm too old/young to have been watching 1980s children's television. Often on UC it seems students from the Far East excel at this so perhaps it is standard fare in their school systems.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,561
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Sunlight ?
    LOL.
    I can only assume Carolotta's advice is to head back to Heathrow and get on another plane :wink:
  • Options
    Mr. Abode, I don't pay too much attention to car reveals (especially as half of these are with bits missing/to be changed) but the McLaren suspension did catch my eye.

The difficulty changing it is important. If they've got it right, it's a difficult-to-copy advantage. If they've screwed it up, they've hobbled their season from the off.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1493165283124690944

Latest Westminster voting intention (10-11 Feb)

Lab: 37% (-4 from 1-2 Feb)
    Con: 34% (+2)
    Lib Dem: 10% (n/c)
    Green: 8% (+2)
    SNP: 5% (n/c)
    Reform UK: 4% (n/c)
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/keir-starmer-boris-johnson-jimmy-savile_uk_620a1441e4b0ccfb3e57c9af

Boris Johnson must apologise or we're going to have another dead MP on our hands. Despicable behaviour.

Starmer is very impressive in how he is handling this.
    The contrast is vast. The PM would not be intellectually or temperamentally capable of doing what Starmer did as DPP, and this is quite obvious.
    Leaving aside the issue of the political parties they represent, Starmer would be a better PM than Johnson in almost every respect.
  • Options
    An exchange official said only about 25% of euro clearing at LCH is between EU counterparties, meaning coming under Brussels' regulatory purview.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

It's going to drag on isn't it. Until most people have forgotten all the hurt.
    I doubt those that buried relatives whilst skipping the funerals will forget, or forgive.

I am sure that everyone else will remember the lies and incompetence and I suspect that will be how Boris will go down in history - as a failure, a liar and an incompetent
  • Options

Matthew Goodwin is convinced there's a realignment in our politics yet as soon as Boris Johnson disappears, the realignment does too. Perhaps it was not a realignment but instead an unpopular leader being thrashed as we have seen time and time again.

The 2019 vote is very interesting. I think Corbyn was a big part of it, but also the dicking around of the second vote crowd too. Many people who voted remain wanted parliament to respect the vote, and hated the chaos that ensued.
    Whats interesting is that the trends in parts of the red wall were there well before 2019. It didn't come from nowhere. The next election is not a done deal for anyone. For some, who voted conservative for the first time in the North, and perhaps have elected a decent MP, there may well be incumbency effects. Others may feel that 'brexit is over' and its back to business as usual. Ohers might look at Starmer and think 'oh good, another private school* posho'. Its not clear.
    One thing is clear - the Conservatives really should lance the boil of the Johnson, but too many of them are calculating that he might be odious, but he might also help them keep their seat. They may be right too.

*That's the perception, not the reality. I think we agree on PB that while Starmer attended a Private School, he didn't inhale.
  • Options

Don't tell me they've changed their methodology as well!
  • Options

That's a huge change

Did something happen while I was flying home?!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

Yes when everything is working Heathrow is impressively fast.
  • Options

An exchange official said only about 25% of euro clearing at LCH is between EU counterparties, meaning coming under Brussels' regulatory purview.
    Oh good. We are only losing a quarter of a vast sum.

I was worried there for a minute ....
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803

I think that Godwin's analysis about the reallignment isn't quite as absolute as you are making out. As I understand it, his point of view is that there is an opportunity for the Conservatives to achieve a historic reallignment by 'leaning in' to the red wall - ie - developing policies that appeal to northern voters that would see further gains to the Conservatives in the next general election.

The trouble in practice is that this strategy leads to problems in its more affluent southern base, as revealed most notably by Chesham and Amersham which fell to the LDs.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354

Im not surprised by this given Labours recent poor performance in Local By-Elections
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,405
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

The difficulty is trying to get that one hour a week when everything works.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

There was an American couple behind me marvelling at the efficiency of the e-gates and speed of the baggage handling

And yes I've seen Heathrow when the e-gates are down. Not pretty
  • Options

I thought you'd be disappointed we weren't losing 100%.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

That's a huge change

Nothing would feed in to polling that fast! Maybe it's a delayed effect showing that Boris shitposting from the despatch box, sadly, works.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

It struck me that in a field of dismal statistics for the Tories in general and Johnson in particular the most striking was the 65% of CONSERVATIVES who thought him incompetent
    with just 22% thinking him competent.

The constant mantra of his achievements is a poor technique
  • Options
    Leon said:

That's a huge change

Ukraine taking over Partygate as the main thing on the news has probably helped BJ.
  • Options

No, it just means it won't happen at all and European banks find themselves either locked out of the London one stop shop or opening capitalised branches in London. Unsurprisingly it's the latter.
  • Options
    Roger said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

It struck me that in a field of dismal statistics for the Tories in general and Johnson in particular the most striking was the 65% of CONSERVATIVES who thought him incompetent

And that a majority of Leave voters now want the clown to resign

And that there's been a 10% drop (if from a high level) in the number of Tories now thinking Brexit was a mistake
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,444
    edited February 2022
    So YouGov have followed Opinium's new methodology's result? Interesting.

Had no idea that the pro-Putin Stop the War Labourites were that damaging...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

And that there's been a 10% drop (if from a high level) in the number of Tories now thinking Brexit was a mistake
    The mess of Germany appeasing Russia and Macron giving away the kitchen sink to Putin has been fairly damaging for the EU among Tory voters I know.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715
    Leon said:

My deepest sympathies. We are all so sorry we have not had to endure your pain over the last few weeks. We hope you get better soon now you are back with us. Only joking.
  • Options

Leon said:

That's a huge change

Nothing would feed in to polling that fast! Maybe it's a delayed effect showing that Boris shitposting from the despatch box, sadly, works.
    The Tories are in their 12th year of continuous power, led by one of the most unpopular PMs in modern history (it seems). They are in the middle of their 4th term, with inflation rampant and getting worse.

And they are just 3 points behind the Opposition?

Quite frankly, that is remarkable. Might be an outlier but the Opinium poll suggests not. Starmer has a long way to go to seal the deal
  • Options
    It's a two-storm week: Dudley and Eunice have now been named.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That's a huge change

The Tories are in their 12th year of continuous power, led by one of the most unpopular PMs in modern history (it seems). They are in the middle of their 4th term, with inflation rampant and getting worse.

And they are just 3 points behind the Opposition?

Quite frankly, that is remarkable. Might be an outlier but the Opinium poll suggests not. Starmer has a long way to go to seal the deal
    I suspect a lot of that is due to the weakness of the LD vote. Prior to the LD collapse, for quite a few decades, an unpopular Tory Govt would be losing a lot of popularity to the LDs as well.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

No, it just means it won't happen at all and European banks find themselves either locked out of the London one stop shop or opening capitalised branches in London. Unsurprisingly it's the latter.
    If the mountain will not come to Mohammed, Mohammed will go to the mountain.

The EU think they're the mountain, but the financial services market has made it clear for a long time that London is. The EU can cut off their own nose as often as they like, that's not changing.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Even if it did happen and all the EU regulated transactions transferred to Frankfurt London would still be more than twice as big. Wonder which one would enjoy economies of scale?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes, and McLaren have just unveiled a car with it the other way around. Pull rods at the front.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sPdLWnMy0tU
    Pull rod fronts are a staple of RC cars and really cheap Chinese tractors so I'm sure it will be just fine.
  • Options

So YouGov have followed Opinium's new methodology's result? Interesting.

Had no idea that the pro-Putin Stop the War Labourites were that damaging...

Especially as the Opinium old method had shown no change.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    So Labour lead down to 3% with Yougov too, looks like Opinium's new data was not such an outlier after all
    https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1493168798773481477?s=20&t=u9FbGWMP1pEw00dUoRuTkQ
  • Options

I do not really give a d*mn any longer. "We" voted to be poorer, or some such. I lost. I am sucking it up...
  • Options

Leon said:

That's a huge change

It's been a few days since a Tory MP called on Johnson to resign, so you'd expect the Labour lead to fall back a bit.

The things to look out for are how much of the damage to Tory polling is recovered, and whether the Tories plumb new depths when there is a fresh development, or a new mistake.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Even if it did happen and all the EU regulated transactions transferred to Frankfurt London would still be more than twice as big. Wonder which one would enjoy economies of scale?
    Until Frankfurt has dozens more international private schools, and a social life for the wives of the bankers, they’ll all keep living and working in London.

France and Germany have spent decades trying to get financial services out of London, but all that’s happened is more consolidation among their own financial centres as London has got bigger.
  • Options
    Today, 10,000 genomes will be sequenced, 10,000 people will be swabbed for the ONS, 300,000 people will take a PCR. Sewage will be sampled, healthcare workers tested, people quizzed about contacts.

The UK covid industrial complex is a marvel. What next? https://thetimes.co.uk/article/britain-built-the-best-covid-surveillance-system-in-the-world-what-could-it-be-used-for-next-x0zmlwrf0

https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1492957952478752781?s=20&t=zDeiA-TtyBFszDhbFJ6p8g
  • Options

I do not really give a d*mn any longer. "We" voted to be poorer, or some such. I lost. I am sucking it up...
    In that case why do you keep gleefully posting things that you think are bad news for the UK (but often aren't)?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Until Frankfurt has dozens more international private schools, and a social life for the wives of the bankers, they’ll all keep living and working in London.

Don't some bankers have husbands?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187

MaxPB said:

Economies of scope too. London has the full gamut. Other European financial centres less so.

• Options
    Wildly o/t, but someone (?ydoethur) might know. Could one do Welsh as a School Certificate subject in 1928?
  • Options
    Earlier in the thread there was some discussion on the Goodwin posts re voter retention.

On headline voting intention behaviour, Con & Lab are pretty well matched:

2019 GE % Vote same party again:
    Con: 77
    Lab: 78

However, if you look at the unadjusted voting figures, a slightly different picture emerges:

2019 GE % Vote same party again:
    Con: 57
    Lab: 62

Don't know:
    Con: 19
    Lab: 13

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/7wtwbh2xah/TheTimes_VI_Results_220211_w.pdf

• Options
    Leon said:

Ask the taxi driver on the way back from the airport. They are the underlying source of all great wisdom.
  • Options

In that case why do you keep gleefully posting things that you think are bad news for the UK (but often aren't)?
    Because I am a bad person. Why else?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Roger said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

It is OK - London's Banks and Exchanges are going to save us. I have been personally assured of that on here this morning!
  • Options
    Labour seem to have a lost 2% of the vote to the Greens on the YouGov poll, which is probably linked with Starmer bashing the 'Stop the War Coalition'. Long-term, Starmer bashing them is a good move, but in the short-term it might well lead to Corbynites switching to the Greens. When you also factor in Partygate being out of news because of Ukraine, as well as 'rally around the government during a time of crisis' effect, that Labour's lead is a bit down probably isn't that surprising.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Don't some bankers have husbands?
    Yes they do. And most of them prefer to work in London too.
  • Options

Because I am a bad person. Why else?
    Not a bad person, just a bad loser.
  • Options

Im not surprised by this given Labours recent poor performance in Local By-Elections
    It is well known that "Leavers" struggle with apostrophes, but I see the inappropriate use of capitals is also a challenge lol?
This discussion has been closed.