Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Join the celebrations for PB’s 18th anniversary – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PB Bottle Bus! Worked For Boris/Brexit! So Why Not Us?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    POMUWAS

Young reserve player blasted the ball over the bar.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.
    I haven’t posted since GE2019 as the prospect of Boris Johnson with a majority was just too ghastly to spend time discussing. Seems like a few more have now come to the same view!

As a 2005-er I’m delighted to see PB going strong and I will see if March 2nd is possible. We’ve just had a new baby so will depend on how things are at home.

Glad to see so many posters I remember on good form. And that list from Cookie brought back memories. I particularly remember the likes of SBS and Mark Senior no longer with us.

Hello tpfkar! Glad to see you.
    SBS no longer with us? I don't think I knew that. That's sad. I was thinking about Mark Senior the other day, oddly. Remembering that he chose to celebrate winning a prediction competition with a picture of his son smashing him over the head with a chair.
    Andy Cooke dates from those days too, I think, and Stuart Dickson - and possibly malcolmg? Anyone else from back then? There must be loads of names knocking around the back of my mind.
    Andrea? Now a very infrequent poster.

(I’m pretty sure I first started posting in 2004.)
    Andrea, yes, of course. The surrealism of an affable Italian student with an Alan Duncan obsession.
    On of my first PB memories, is of the howls of outrage erupting, when someone posted that Andrea had no business as a foreigner commenting on UK politics (or to this effect).

Though the proto-woke and kind hearted were in evidence, at the core of the backlash were PB punters who'd personally profited from Andrea's perceptive analysis.
    He's also been possibly the nicest single contributor to the site. You take on Andrea, you take on everyone.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Middlesbrough!
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    tlg86 said:

Poor Man Utd

Is there a violin small enough?
  • Options
    vino said:

Cookie - didn't you have a relation who worked at East Midlands?

I don't have any relatives! (Slight exaggeration.) But I do have an East Midlands connection. Are you referring specifically to the airport? I worked briefly right next to it back in the late 90s.
  • Options
    Sunak-Javid double ticket?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    I'm in shock.

I had it down as a cast iron certainty Phil Jones was going to be the one to blast his pen into the Stretford End 😂
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,064
    From The Times

One cabinet minister told The Times: “He who wields the knife never wears the crown. It’s just so blatant. Once the May elections are out the way there will be a reshuffle. Sunak has to go.

As if they are going to make it that far...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,770
    edited February 2022

Surely David Herdson and Antifrank were fairly early? Or maybe they only turned up 2 or 3 years in?

You can still read one of the earliest PB threads from 6th April 2004 here, although there aren't any comments.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040406042945/http://www.politicalbetting.com/

This page from 29th June 2004 has the grand total of 2 comments.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040629225222/http://www.politicalbetting.com/
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.
    I haven’t posted since GE2019 as the prospect of Boris Johnson with a majority was just too ghastly to spend time discussing. Seems like a few more have now come to the same view!

As a 2005-er I’m delighted to see PB going strong and I will see if March 2nd is possible. We’ve just had a new baby so will depend on how things are at home.

Glad to see so many posters I remember on good form. And that list from Cookie brought back memories. I particularly remember the likes of SBS and Mark Senior no longer with us.

SBS no longer with us? I don't think I knew that. That's sad. I was thinking about Mark Senior the other day, oddly. Remembering that he chose to celebrate winning a prediction competition with a picture of his son smashing him over the head with a chair.
    Andy Cooke dates from those days too, I think, and Stuart Dickson - and possibly malcolmg? Anyone else from back then? There must be loads of names knocking around the back of my mind.

Andrea, yes, of course. The surrealism of an affable Italian student with an Alan Duncan obsession.
    On of my first PB memories, is of the howls of outrage erupting, when someone posted that Andrea had no business as a foreigner commenting on UK politics (or to this effect).

Though the proto-woke and kind hearted were in evidence, at the core of the backlash were PB punters who'd personally profited from Andrea's perceptive analysis.
    He's also been possibly the nicest single contributor to the site. You take on Andrea, you take on everyone.
    When we first went to Italy for holidays he gave me loads of useful information - a great chap
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    Lol "knowingly false" messages sent online to be criminalised.

How ridiculous. Most of twitter will be in the gulags...
  • Options
    I recall several PBers noticing an illegal postal vote tweet in 2010.
  • Options

pigeon said:

I don't post a huge amount but I love reading the articles/comments and posting occasionally. I'd love to drop in. How do you sign up?

Just turn up! It's like the masked orgy in Eyes Wide Shut - can't recognise anyone apart from @TSE in those epic sandals...
    With a generously donated box of artisanal flint dildos for all the guests to enjoy?

Tragically I fear I shall be otherwise engaged that evening.
    What is the PB obsession with flint dildos?
    It's SeanT's latest fictional persona's, er, trade.
    Perhaps he should try his "product" out first :D
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Congratulations. I've been a lurker on this site for many years now as I find it by far the friendliest forum to see what other people are thinking about a particular issue. Also the random conversations can be fascinating. Would I be able to drop in despite having a very poor post count? I work fairly close by.

Yes of course. I'll be doing my best to be there myself. I'll see if I can persuade Mrs PtP, but she's a busy girl these days.
  • Options
    Brexit is Done

Johnson is under pressure to make further changes to his team from Brexit-supporting MPs who want a clearout of other senior aides. One cabinet minister said he must dismiss Henry Newman, a senior adviser and close friend of his wife Carrie Johnson. “Unless Henry Newman or Carrie Johnson are taken out of No 10 there isn’t a lot of hope,” they said. “They’re zealots on the green stuff, in the woke stuff.” A former minister said Newman was the “chief obstacle blocking a proper Brexit”.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,984
    Andy_JS said:

Surely David Herdson and Antifrank were fairly early? Or maybe they only turned up 2 or 3 years in?

You can still read one of the earliest PB threads from 6th April 2004 here, although there aren't any comments.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040406042945/http://www.politicalbetting.com/

This page from 29th June 2004 has the grand total of 2 comments.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040629225222/http://www.politicalbetting.com/
    Pre-smiling Gordons. Truly ancient times.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,990
    Do they really think Sunak is sackable?
    This is another level of delusion.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Would we be allowed in to HMP Epping Forest? As support visitors...
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Tres said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.
    I wasn't here from the start. I arrived when looking for some information about the Cheadle by-election - what, June 2005? I remember a conversation in so much more detail than is ever given to these things. Absolutely amazing that here were people who enjoyed the minutiae that I did. Discussion of the electoral geography of the Cheadle constituency quickly segued - indeed, ran alongside - a conversation about the merits of British cheeses.
    Lots of names from those days still with us. OGH and Robert, of course. Roger. Stodge (with whom, I remember, very early on, a detailed conversation about the EU - how wonderful to find a place where such things can be explored in such detail without rancour), Nick Palmer (myMP at the time - how amazing to be discussing politics with my MP) - even Jack W still puts in the odd appearance. Who else from those days? Sean Fear, Alistair Matlock, Woody 662, Stuart Penketh. Seems I only remember lapsed Tories?
    How have I been hanging around here for 16 years? Since when I have found a wife, had three daughters, changed career twice and home city once.
    And ah, pb, we have been through such a lot together. Especially the last two years.
    Well done Mike and Robert for running such a remarkable corner of the internet.

ColinW and his mum. Mark Senior. Andrea. 'Ave It. Snowflake and SeanT.
    That is about when I started lurking around these parts. Who can forget the heady days of SWINGBACK?
  • Options
    VogonJ said:

Congratulations to PB on reaching adulthood. I’ve largely lurked on here over the years but retain considerable affection for the site. Not least because, back in the sites early days it helped me make a nice profit on my first venture into political gambling. In the 2008 Presidential Election, someone on here (are they still around?) noticed that no-one (in the UK at least) had clocked that Nebraskan electoral college votes are split and as a consequence the electoral college votes markets were awash with free money just waiting to be collected. Of course I have more than made up for it with losses since…

Welcome (back)!

By your username, VogonJ, may we surmise you are one of the much-heralded visitors from the Great Beyond?

That is, somewhere between Epping and Easter Ross?
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151
    Cookie said:

vino said:

Cookie - didn't you have a relation who worked at East Midlands?

I don't have any relatives! (Slight exaggeration.) But I do have an East Midlands connection. Are you referring specifically to the airport? I worked briefly right next to it back in the late 90s.
    Yes you asked me about a private airline since gone bust
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,990
    Pulpstar said:

Impersonating a flint dildo knapper, perchance?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,853
    dr_spyn said:

Was that in Scotland?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

On topic, it will be very difficult for me to get down to London on a Wednesday evening. A shame. Enjoy everyone.

They should definitely hold this in Fraserburgh.
    HMP Grampian would be a suitable venue for certain PBers. For quite a long stay.
    Peterhead? Are you sick or something?
    That's not a fate I'd wish on anyone.
    Do south of the wall punters appreciate the beauty of the place? Pronounced Pee'a'heed, with the be great size of fishing boats in a harbour literally built by convicts
    Or Peterboro in a Govian accent, to go with Fraserhead.

Edit: given Leon's reaction to Wick, I wonder what he would make of Peterheid. Or the Broch.
    Once the capital of the Scottish whaling industry? Or am I mixing my history up?

I know they have a surviving dry dock built for whalers.
  • Options
    LATEST Tory source (not on 1922): "Range 40/44 after today." Getting near to the 54 MPs needed to trigger the no confidence ballot in the Prime Minister.
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1489735930822934538
  • Options

pigeon said:

I don't post a huge amount but I love reading the articles/comments and posting occasionally. I'd love to drop in. How do you sign up?

Just turn up! It's like the masked orgy in Eyes Wide Shut - can't recognise anyone apart from @TSE in those epic sandals...
    With a generously donated box of artisanal flint dildos for all the guests to enjoy?

Tragically I fear I shall be otherwise engaged that evening.
    What is the PB obsession with flint dildos?
    It's SeanT's latest fictional persona's, er, trade.
    Perhaps he should try his "product" out first :D
    I think a few people have told him where to put it from time to time.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

On topic, it will be very difficult for me to get down to London on a Wednesday evening. A shame. Enjoy everyone.

HMP Grampian would be a suitable venue for certain PBers. For quite a long stay.
    Do south of the wall punters appreciate the beauty of the place? Pronounced Pee'a'heed, with the be great size of fishing boats in a harbour literally built by convicts

Edit: given Leon's reaction to Wick, I wonder what he would make of Peterheid. Or the Broch.
    Once the capital of the Scottish whaling industry? Or am I mixing my history up?

Yep, with future YesCity Dundee.
  • Options
    vino said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.

When we first went to Italy for holidays he gave me loads of useful information - a great chap
    Ooh, and Peter the Punter and Peter from Putney too - they were both around in 2005. Took some time to distinguish between...
  • Options
    Talus was it? The US-based mod.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.

Andrea has a unique voice. If he changed username I’d spot him. He is a humongous politics nerd: knowing weirdly obscure details of how selection contests are going in 100 CLPs, and similar tragic, but vital, details.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

LATEST Tory source (not on 1922): "Range 40/44 after today." Getting near to the 54 MPs needed to trigger the no confidence ballot in the Prime Minister.

I don't have a strong view on how many letters have gone in, but I am rather dubious that anybody except Brady can be confident of how many to within a range of 5...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

Was that in Scotland?
    Bristol East.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Carnyx said:

dr_spyn said:

Was that in Scotland?
    Bristol East.
    Thanks - am confusing it with a more recent incident up north I now realise.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Just another few days then (still).
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,878
    Scott_xP said:

From The Times

One cabinet minister told The Times: “He who wields the knife never wears the crown. It’s just so blatant. Once the May elections are out the way there will be a reshuffle. Sunak has to go.

As if they are going to make it that far...

Journalists inventing things or other MPs stirring things are in their doing their best to prevent this dragging on to May, by bigging up a Sunal/Johnson fight. Boris cannot move him without him adding his weight to a challenge, but if it is constantly being reported that Sunak is 'knifing' the PM etc then how can Boris look strong and leave him there until May?
  • Options

I have no idea when I started hanging out on PB, but Fitalass used to post in the midnight shift as did a LibDem MrsB IIRC. And, of course, my old comrade-in-shoes... Plato

What happened to MrsB? I can't recall anything from her in a year or two?
    Perhaps she just quietly wandered off rather than indulging in the more traditional "flounce"
    Mr Ed this morning just the latest to follow the great PB flouncing tradition.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,878
    edited February 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Brexit is Done

Johnson is under pressure to make further changes to his team from Brexit-supporting MPs who want a clearout of other senior aides. One cabinet minister said he must dismiss Henry Newman, a senior adviser and close friend of his wife Carrie Johnson. “Unless Henry Newman or Carrie Johnson are taken out of No 10 there isn’t a lot of hope,” they said. “They’re zealots on the green stuff, in the woke stuff.” A former minister said Newman was the “chief obstacle blocking a proper Brexit”.

What’s a proper Brexit . When will the Brexit Death Cult Tory MPs just STFU and move on ! They won and never stop droning on about Brexit . I thought it was all done and dusted !
  • Options
    VogonJ said:

Congratulations to PB on reaching adulthood. I’ve largely lurked on here over the years but retain considerable affection for the site. Not least because, back in the sites early days it helped me make a nice profit on my first venture into political gambling. In the 2008 Presidential Election, someone on here (are they still around?) noticed that no-one (in the UK at least) had clocked that Nebraskan electoral college votes are split and as a consequence the electoral college votes markets were awash with free money just waiting to be collected. Of course I have more than made up for it with losses since…

That was me! I was a newbie at the time, and not quite sure that I'd understood correctly, but it seemed pretty clear.
  • Options
    biography of Boris Johnson's wife by Tory peer Lord Ashcroft says 'mesmerised and lonely' PM is surrounded by HER friends and she 'used his mobile to direct events'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10478351/Carrie-Johnson-blamed-Downing-Street-chaos-Tory-peers-bombshell-book.html
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    VogonJ said:

I can't exactly remember when I first visited PB. I think it was probably at the beginning of 2010 but not sure. Rod Crosby was one of the big cheeses at that time, with his "PR^2" headers.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I don't like Mondays...
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557
    edited February 2022
    I've been lurking on here for about 12 years, but only found the time or energy to start posting when I retired exactly 2 years ago. In the previous 10 years, I always envied those who had time to post while working full-time, and wondered if I could ever get a job that allowed such luxury. Mind you, I worked in the public sector, so that probably explains it.
  • Options
    pm215 said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't have a strong view on how many letters have gone in, but I am rather dubious that anybody except Brady can be confident of how many to within a range of 5...
    I know there are continuous meetings going on with backbenchers and I expect someone is keeping a list
  • Options

biography of Boris Johnson's wife by Tory peer Lord Ashcroft says 'mesmerised and lonely' PM is surrounded by HER friends and she 'used his mobile to direct events'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10478351/Carrie-Johnson-blamed-Downing-Street-chaos-Tory-peers-bombshell-book.html

I am shocked etc etc...

He probably sits there wondering what all these young people are babbling on about.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Listening to Newsnight it's sounding like he's had it. Tissue Price. What a guy!
  • Options
    Anyway, I'll be there, all being well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

dixiedean said:

Thought Sunak was teetotal?

He’s ex-Goldman Sachs, so he’s actually drinking the blood of poor people.
    For the record, we're catholic in our blood lust: poor people, rich people, young people, old people, we're willing to suck the blood of all.

• Options

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

My late brother in law was a Peterhead skipper
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.
    I wasn't here from the start. I arrived when looking for some information about the Cheadle by-election - what, June 2005? I remember a conversation in so much more detail than is ever given to these things. Absolutely amazing that here were people who enjoyed the minutiae that I did. Discussion of the electoral geography of the Cheadle constituency quickly segued - indeed, ran alongside - a conversation about the merits of British cheeses.
    Lots of names from those days still with us. OGH and Robert, of course. Roger. Stodge (with whom, I remember, very early on, a detailed conversation about the EU - how wonderful to find a place where such things can be explored in such detail without rancour), Nick Palmer (myMP at the time - how amazing to be discussing politics with my MP) - even Jack W still puts in the odd appearance. Who else from those days? Sean Fear, Alistair Matlock, Woody 662, Stuart Penketh. Seems I only remember lapsed Tories?
    How have I been hanging around here for 16 years? Since when I have found a wife, had three daughters, changed career twice and home city once.
    And ah, pb, we have been through such a lot together. Especially the last two years.

In my case, May 2007. For the Assembly elections of that year.

On and off since. Two moves and three identities.

By that way, does anyone know what happened to the Tap? I enjoyed his nonsense.

There was also a very funny drunk bloke called SeanT, has anyone seen him around recently?
    I've long forgotten exactly when and why I first began to haunt this place (I've had one regeneration so far,) but it does sometimes help to pass the time. And to remind me, despite my casual interest in matters political, how little I understand. My predictions are almost invariably wrong.

Who's SeanT?
    I started at GE 2005 (was Sophia really a CCHQ staffer?) but using my everyday name. I had a few run-ins with that SeanT. fellow back in the day. He was a very angry young man as I recall, I wonder what happened to him?

What a resource PB has been for every GE and US election. I had dipped out of PB by the EUReferendum. What a mistake that was, Remain might have won if I'd stuck around.

My highlight over the 18 years was Alistair's Presidential election countdown in November 2020, from what looked like a Trump victory to a Biden win. He kept the faith, so we could too.

Thank you for a fantastic resource OGH.
  • Options

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

First encountered PB sometime in 2007, not long before the 2008 Iowa caucuses & New Hampshire primary.

Great post, Cookie!
    I have been here far too long. I think in the end we all just become another incarnation of the SeanTs, drinking in the darkness, where the shadows lie...

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Farmer Tupac railing at Osborne. I watched polls being Baxtered in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. Rod Crosby swinging back. Resolver Systems selling Python to the masses. Jack W consulting the Great Arse. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the afternoon rain at Bognor Regis Pier. Time for tea...."

MOVE following be placed on March 2nd agenda - commissioning on behalf of PB some great artist (Marf?) for painting, cartoon, fresco, hologram, graffiti, mime, porno, etc., etc., commemorating grand occasion(s) of . . . wait for it . . .

"Jack W consulting the Great Arse"

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ruthie?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,274
    edited February 2022
    nico679 said:

Scott_xP said:

Brexit is Done

What’s a proper Brexit . When will the Brexit Death Cult Tory MPs just STFU and move on ! They won and never stop droning on about Brexit . I thought it was all done and dusted !
    I don't think they know. Mainly because they never knew what the purpose was in the first place apart from a load of vacuous blusterings about serving sovereignty with the roast beef of olde england.

GDP down 4% thanks to Brexit.

That's a shit load of tax lost. No wonder NI is going up.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Wonder who just might have a bundle in their hip pocket?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Ruthie?
    Scott_xP said:

Brexit is Done

Brexit will never be done.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    dr_spyn said:

There are so many times people here notice stuff that breaks as a big story 1 or 2 days later. Truly impressive.
  • Options

I have no idea when I started hanging out on PB, but Fitalass used to post in the midnight shift as did a LibDem MrsB IIRC. And, of course, my old comrade-in-shoes... Plato

Perhaps she just quietly wandered off rather than indulging in the more traditional "flounce"
    It’s the sneaky flounce backers you’ve got to look out for.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Hello.

That's great news, Tpfkar.

Do you ever hear from another vintage poster, Augustus Carp? Sadly he had to give up posting here when he got a job that involved work. I've not heard from his since.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Wonder who just might have a bundle in their hip pocket?
    Oh, I know, I know!!!! He wears slides.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Tory blaming the BBC for the Prime Ministers problem. He's completely lost it. Very entertaining. It didn't take long
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Tres said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

ColinW and his mum. Mark Senior. Andrea. 'Ave It. Snowflake and SeanT.
    That is about when I started lurking around these parts. Who can forget the heady days of SWINGBACK?
    Rod Crosby became swingback king one cycle.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited February 2022
    So PB will soon be old enough to vote (English rules apply).
    So who would PB vote for if there was an election on its 18th birthday?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Quite frankly I’m disappointed the party isn’t at number ten.

Under new management by March.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

There was also a very funny drunk bloke called SeanT, has anyone seen him around recently?
    Ah Tapestry...

A man who mistook a company creation service for an international conspiracy.
    I presume the agents of the deep state got to him in the end.
  • Options

VogonJ said:

That was me! I was a newbie at the time, and not quite sure that I'd understood correctly, but it seemed pretty clear.
    I would buy you a beer if it I hadn't lost that money many times over since :D
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

It’s the sneaky flounce backers you’ve got to look out for.
    I hope not. I know it's gauche to say this, but I won't miss MrEd.
  • Options
    This gives new meaning to the phrase "cunning plan".

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1489707173596831752

"@SebastianEPayne
    NEW: PM's loyalists have "safety mechanism" on no confidence letters:

"5 or 10 of the letters are submitted by loyalists. When Brady hits the magic number, he calls around everyone to ask if they wish to withdraw. At that point, we know we’re in trouble""
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

Ah Tapestry...

Didn't he managed to get OGH to ban all mentions of a road in north London?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I don't like Mondays...
    Neither did Barbara Spencer ;)
  • Options
    Great to see some of the old-timers back this evening, plus mentions of others. I also recall Morus (now a quite well-known barrister), who gave us some super tips.

And of course Martin Day..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Cookie said:

vino said:

I remember Tabman with fondness

Yes, Tabman! He made a brief reappearance a year or so back, I think, and has done from time to time.
    I thought he - and Mark Senior - passed.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Quite frankly I’m disappointed the party isn’t at number ten.

Under new management by March.
    You will be correct eventually :D
  • Options

I can believe he’s lonely.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Tory blaming the BBC for the Prime Ministers problem. He's completely lost it. Very entertaining. It didn't take long

It's a hell of a come down, when a Tory mouthpiece can NOT get away with (or rather by) abusing the BBC.
  • Options
    I still miss Plato and her cat-obsessed posts.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Plato decent into madness was very sad. I believe a number of PB regulars met IRL and was a perfectly nice lady, but her last few years went down a dark rabbit hole and died a lonely death.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,726

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

Ah Tapestry...

I presume the agents of the deep state got to him in the end.
    That's what they want you to think...

I lurked for a couple of years, finding it difficult to come up with a comment before the discussion moved on, but started posting in the coalition years.

One thing that I would like to see return is the Nojam prediction contests. They were good at making people commit to a prediction.

My most lucrative bet was on Macron thanks to @Chris_from_Paris who I hope pops up again before what looks like Macron's reelection.

I won't be able to make the 2nd. Midweek is difficult when working the next day, but have fun!

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

vino said:

I remember Tabman with fondness

Yes, Tabman! He made a brief reappearance a year or so back, I think, and has done from time to time.
    I thought he - and Mark Senior - passed.
    If Tabman is who I assumed, then he had a tough time a couple of years ago but is fine now.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2022
    GoFundMe removes fundraiser for Freedom Convoy 2022 for violating its terms of service, says remaining $9 million won't be given to organizers

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1489743312642887683?s=20&t=YsBLpdGfZ26QqU_ZJxR4BQ

I think there might be some accusations of some serious double standards here.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658

tpfkar said:

Hello.

That's great news, Tpfkar.

Do you ever hear from another vintage poster, Augustus Carp? Sadly he had to give up posting here when he got a job that involved work. I've not heard from his since.
    One of my earliest memories is Andrea responding to Augustus Carp but posted Augustus Crap at the start of his post. I responded with 'That's a bit harsh' and being chuffed that I got a positive response to my post from JackW which was the ultimate accolade.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,049
    I'd forgotten about Tapestry. Whatever happened to Will L?

Sean Fear's Friday slot, Roger's immortal one word answer 'no', Tyson, SBS (sadly no more), Sean Thomas, Andrea, Edmund In Tokyo and many others I've simply forgotten because there have been so many of them. Even the old warning not to libel George Galloway.

Is there a way to access some of the old threads?

• Options

It was a simpler time when a pair of treasury nerds could just team up - not sure Javid would want to serve under 'young' Sunak though

• Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    Andy_JS said:

"@SebastianEPayne

"5 or 10 of the letters are submitted by loyalists. When Brady hits the magic number, he calls around everyone to ask if they wish to withdraw. At that point, we know we’re in trouble""

Does he have to call round? A signed letter seems as good a signal of intent as any.....
  • Options
    "Bombshell biography of Boris Johnson's wife by Tory peer Lord Ashcroft says 'mesmerised and lonely' PM is surrounded by HER friends and she 'used his mobile to direct events' - but Team Carrie slams claims as 'tissue of lies'"

• Options

Andy_JS said:

"@SebastianEPayne

Does he have to call round? A signed letter seems as good a signal of intent as any.....
    TSE's MP source says no, but the plan is moronic even if they did - 'loyalists' can quickly become loyal to others if they see the writing on the wall.
  • Options

I think he is very lonely, week and unfit for office

• Options
    kle4 said:

It was a simpler time when a pair of treasury nerds could just team up - not sure Javid would want to serve under 'young' Sunak though

Would he really say no to being Chancellor because of something like that?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"@SebastianEPayne

Yeah, I've seen this mentioned before. Letters stand until they are rescinded, so it makes sense to check.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"@SebastianEPayne

If only they put that much energy into running the affairs of government.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Would he really say no to being Chancellor because of something like that?
    Well he did agree to serve again under the man who accepted the resignation of his Chancellor rather than that of his arrogant shit of an adviser (I presume this is now Boris's view of Cummings), so he probably would, true.
  • Options

I think he is very lonely, week and unfit for office

If only he only had a week remaining.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"@SebastianEPayne

If only they put that much energy into running the affairs of government.
    Someone posted earlier to say that this phoning around might actually be an urban westminster myth.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Bombshell biography of Boris Johnson's wife by Tory peer Lord Ashcroft says 'mesmerised and lonely' PM is surrounded by HER friends and she 'used his mobile to direct events' - but Team Carrie slams claims as 'tissue of lies'"

Is there anybody Ashcroft *hasn't* written a biography of?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,726

Andy_JS said:

Plato decent into madness was very sad. I believe a number of PB regulars met IRL and was a perfectly nice lady, but her last few years went down a dark rabbit hole and died a lonely death.
    It was indeed. A sad foreshadowing of the descent of the Republican Party into insanity. The internet is not always a benign drug.

This discussion has been closed.