Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Join the celebrations for PB’s 18th anniversary – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited February 2022 in General
Join the celebrations for PB’s 18th anniversary – politicalbetting.com

Next month this site, politicalbetting.com will be 18 years old and to celebrate there is to be a party at the headquarters of Smarkets near Tower Bridge in London.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    First!
  • Options
    PB Bottle Bus!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    first
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

first

dr_spyn said:

first

Eat my dust!
  • Options
    Mail on Sunday journo saying the pic of Johnson on the ale in lockdown includes Sunak.
  • Options

NOTE The date is Wednesday March 2nd

• Options

Larry the Cat
    @Number10cat
    Replying to
    @PippaCrerar
    If it’s Carling then he’ll be gone within the hour

https://twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1489701515262582785
  • Options
    Congratulations, Mike!
  • Options
    Happy Birthday PB
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,064
    🔴 New headache for PM as it is alleged an image of him enjoying a pint with Rishi Sunak is among hundreds being investigated over ‘partygate’ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/04/police-looking-photo-boris-johnson-holding-beer-lockdown-birthday/?utm_content=politics&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1644012228-2
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,990
    Thought Sunak was teetotal?
  • Options
    Several days ago a source said they'd heard the PM's photographer might have taken at least some of the photos the Gray inquiry has now handed to the police. We weren't able to confirm but theoretically it makes a lot of sense. Would explain why there are so many photos...

...and yet at the same time why almost none have leaked. They also couldn't be deleted because they're official government photographs, now stored by Sue Gray.

If true, as the source told remarked to us, it added "a Nixonian air" to the entire episode.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1489721930429124616
  • Options
    Sorry. I can’t help going back to this tosh.

“It was back to maximum Boris, election-winning Boris.”

You don’t need a director of communications when you’ve got Wickham fearlessly reporting these truth bombs

HE WON THE ROOM ROUND

Hours after the Gray/Savile shambles

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1489722987947470851/photo/1
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited February 2022
    Another exciting twist in this fucking boring scandal

Wish Tory MPs would get on with it
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    On topic, it will be very difficult for me to get down to London on a Wednesday evening. A shame. Enjoy everyone.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Good that it's a milestone, not a millstone.
  • Options
    This alleged photograph potentially undermines the argument employed by Boris Johnson’s allies that this was simply a quick gathering like anyone else would do for a colleague’s birthday. Who else drank beer at 2pm in the office with dozens of colleagues during the pandemic?
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1489723496385191938
  • Options
    Fireworks tonight but Tory source comes out swinging: “Carrie has for some time been the target of an increasingly brutal briefing campaign to attack and discredit her. It is deeply unpleasant.”

Senior minister accusing critics of playing “the wife not the ball.”

https://twitter.com/mrharrycole/status/1489721942009593862
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,222
    Farooq said:

On topic, it will be very difficult for me to get down to London on a Wednesday evening. A shame. Enjoy everyone.

They should definitely hold this in Fraserburgh.
    Northern pb to hold a breakaway party? Splitters...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,317

It's the week after half term, so it's out for me as well. But I hope those who can go enjoy it.
  • Options
    Won’t be able to make it over on that date. Have fun.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

No, Lichfield.

And invite the local MP so we could all laugh at him...
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Farooq said:

Liberal metropolitan elitist.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HMP Grampian would be a suitable venue for certain PBers. For quite a long stay.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

No, Lichfield.

And invite the local MP so we could all laugh at him...
    I couldn't go to a party with him there. "I would either end up with a brain haemorrhage or by punching him in the throat."
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

HMP Grampian would be a suitable venue for certain PBers. For quite a long stay.
    Peterhead? Are you sick or something?
    That's not a fate I'd wish on anyone.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.
    I wasn't here from the start. I arrived when looking for some information about the Cheadle by-election - what, June 2005? I remember a conversation in so much more detail than is ever given to these things. Absolutely amazing that here were people who enjoyed the minutiae that I did. Discussion of the electoral geography of the Cheadle constituency quickly segued - indeed, ran alongside - a conversation about the merits of British cheeses.
    Lots of names from those days still with us. OGH and Robert, of course. Roger. Stodge (with whom, I remember, very early on, a detailed conversation about the EU - how wonderful to find a place where such things can be explored in such detail without rancour), Nick Palmer (myMP at the time - how amazing to be discussing politics with my MP) - even Jack W still puts in the odd appearance. Who else from those days? Sean Fear, Alistair Matlock, Woody 662, Stuart Penketh. Seems I only remember lapsed Tories?
    How have I been hanging around here for 16 years? Since when I have found a wife, had three daughters, changed career twice and home city once.
    And ah, pb, we have been through such a lot together. Especially the last two years.
    Well done Mike and Robert for running such a remarkable corner of the internet.

In my case, May 2007. For the Assembly elections of that year.

On and off since. Two moves and three identities.

By that way, does anyone know what happened to the Tap? I enjoyed his nonsense.

There was also a very funny drunk bloke called SeanT, has anyone seen him around recently?
  • Options

NOTE The date is Wednesday March 2nd

I WILL BE IN TOWN
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    I can’t see how Boris escapes this slow drip of MPs putting in letters amidst the background of more party revelations.

The government is quite clearly paralysed until he goes
  • Options
    Congratulations. I've been a lurker on this site for many years now as I find it by far the friendliest forum to see what other people are thinking about a particular issue. Also the random conversations can be fascinating. Would I be able to drop in despite having a very poor post count? I work fairly close by.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    tpfkar said:

Hello.
    I haven’t posted since GE2019 as the prospect of Boris Johnson with a majority was just too ghastly to spend time discussing. Seems like a few more have now come to the same view!

As a 2005-er I’m delighted to see PB going strong and I will see if March 2nd is possible. We’ve just had a new baby so will depend on how things are at home.

Glad to see so many posters I remember on good form. And that list from Cookie brought back memories. I particularly remember the likes of SBS and Mark Senior no longer with us.

Hello tpfkar! Glad to see you.
    SBS no longer with us? I don't think I knew that. That's sad. I was thinking about Mark Senior the other day, oddly. Remembering that he chose to celebrate winning a prediction competition with a picture of his son smashing him over the head with a chair.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

Congratulations. I've been a lurker on this site for many years now as I find it by far the friendliest forum to see what other people are thinking about a particular issue. Also the random conversations can be fascinating. Would I be able to drop in despite having a very poor post count? I work fairly close by.

Well, as I can't go you could represent me...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

first

dr_spyn said:

first

Eat my dust!
    That was meant in entirely friendly way!!
  • Options

Farooq said:

A terrifying museum to wander round. Screw makes the place look almost Human
  • Options

I can’t see how Boris escapes this slow drip of MPs putting in letters amidst the background of more party revelations.

The government is quite clearly paralysed until he goes

The real fun and games start, of course, when sufficient letters are finally received, only for the wazzocks to vote to keep Johnson in place. They do have previous, after all.
  • Options
    Stereodog said:

You're good to go! And if not (for some obscure reason) you can be my proxy.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,873
    Late evening all :)

I'm aiming to be there on March 2nd. It may not be the terrace of the National Liberal Club but it looks like being an excellent evening.

Perhaps a Cheltenham Preview thought or two may be on offer if you ask nicely though if you follow my normal racing tips probably not.

Thanks for the kind word @Cookie - I must confess I consider anyone who started posting after the 2005 GE a "newbie" but re-assuring to see a few of the "old guard" still around and perhaps we can raise a glass to those who aren't.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Do south of the wall punters appreciate the beauty of the place? Pronounced Pee'a'heed, with the be great size of fishing boats in a harbour literally built by convicts
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,941
    On topic - probably won't be down for this one, need to save my pennies & holiday for Jr coming along later in the year.
    Hope everyone enjoys it
  • Options
    Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.
    I haven’t posted since GE2019 as the prospect of Boris Johnson with a majority was just too ghastly to spend time discussing. Seems like a few more have now come to the same view!

As a 2005-er I’m delighted to see PB going strong and I will see if March 2nd is possible. We’ve just had a new baby so will depend on how things are at home.

Glad to see so many posters I remember on good form. And that list from Cookie brought back memories. I particularly remember the likes of SBS and Mark Senior no longer with us.

SBS no longer with us? I don't think I knew that. That's sad. I was thinking about Mark Senior the other day, oddly. Remembering that he chose to celebrate winning a prediction competition with a picture of his son smashing him over the head with a chair.
    Andy Cooke dates from those days too, I think, and Stuart Dickson - and possibly malcolmg? Anyone else from back then? There must be loads of names knocking around the back of my mind.
  • Options
    Next UK GE:

NOM EVS
    Con Maj 9/4
    Lab Maj 4/1
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.
    I wasn't here from the start. I arrived when looking for some information about the Cheadle by-election - what, June 2005? I remember a conversation in so much more detail than is ever given to these things. Absolutely amazing that here were people who enjoyed the minutiae that I did. Discussion of the electoral geography of the Cheadle constituency quickly segued - indeed, ran alongside - a conversation about the merits of British cheeses.
    Lots of names from those days still with us. OGH and Robert, of course. Roger. Stodge (with whom, I remember, very early on, a detailed conversation about the EU - how wonderful to find a place where such things can be explored in such detail without rancour), Nick Palmer (myMP at the time - how amazing to be discussing politics with my MP) - even Jack W still puts in the odd appearance. Who else from those days? Sean Fear, Alistair Matlock, Woody 662, Stuart Penketh. Seems I only remember lapsed Tories?
    How have I been hanging around here for 16 years? Since when I have found a wife, had three daughters, changed career twice and home city once.
    And ah, pb, we have been through such a lot together. Especially the last two years.

ColinW and his mum. Mark Senior. Andrea. 'Ave It. Snowflake and SeanT.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

There was also a very funny drunk bloke called SeanT, has anyone seen him around recently?
    I've long forgotten exactly when and why I first began to haunt this place (I've had one regeneration so far,) but it does sometimes help to pass the time. And to remind me, despite my casual interest in matters political, how little I understand. My predictions are almost invariably wrong.

Who's SeanT?
  • Options
    WOW

The cabinet descended into rancour over Boris Johnson’s future last night after both Sajid Javid and Rishi Sunak rebuked the prime minister.

One cabinet minister called for Johnson to dismiss Sunak, and two others accused the chancellor of being “on manoeuvres” after he criticised the prime minister for a personal attack on Sir Keir Starmer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/civil-war-in-cabinet-as-boris-johnson-told-to-sack-rishi-sunak-hgdfjtdjj
  • Options
    I don't post a huge amount but I love reading the articles/comments and posting occasionally. I'd love to drop in. How do you sign up?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.

Andy Cooke dates from those days too, I think, and Stuart Dickson - and possibly malcolmg? Anyone else from back then? There must be loads of names knocking around the back of my mind.
    Andrea? Now a very infrequent poster.

(I’m pretty sure I first started posting in 2004.)
  • Options
    Idea of simultaneous PB gatherings on The Day is interesting. Not sure I have savvy to pull it off on my end (so to speak) but reckon that is NOT an issue for most.

Perhaps have a Big Board up at Smarkets to show Zooms from the ends of the earth, from Bangkok to Budapest to Bognor and back? With prize for furthest distance (as crow flies) from Charing Cross?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Several days ago a source said they'd heard the PM's photographer might have taken at least some of the photos the Gray inquiry has now handed to the police. We weren't able to confirm but theoretically it makes a lot of sense. Would explain why there are so many photos...

...and yet at the same time why almost none have leaked. They also couldn't be deleted because they're official government photographs, now stored by Sue Gray.

If true, as the source told remarked to us, it added "a Nixonian air" to the entire episode.

Hold on.

There was some kind of spontaneous get together after work (ie 2pm in afternoon) and YET the official photographer was hanging around?

Feck me we are being taken for fools again and again and again.

• Options
    pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

I've long forgotten exactly when and why I first began to haunt this place (I've had one regeneration so far,) but it does sometimes help to pass the time. And to remind me, despite my casual interest in matters political, how little I understand. My predictions are almost invariably wrong.

Who's SeanT?
    Who isn’t? Sometimes, in the darker parts of the night, with sleep hard to find, I think we all wonder if we are just another SeanT creation...
  • Options

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

Who's SeanT?
    Who isn’t? Sometimes, in the darker parts of the night, with sleep hard to find, I think we all wonder if we are just another SeanT creation...
    I'm a bit surprised you think of that when suffering from insomnia. I would have thought it more likely you dreamed about it when you dropped off for a knap.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,769
    Nick Gibb.

Nick Gibb = letter.

Bugger Bognor.
  • Options

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

Who's SeanT?
    I may have had tongue in cheek.

Anyway, it's academic. We're all just computer simulations created by members of a hyper-advanced civilization with way too much time on their hands, after all.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,862

Scott_xP said:

Hold on.

There was some kind of spontaneous get together after work (ie 2pm in afternoon) and YET the official photographer was hanging around?

Is this the birthday party / COBRA-with-beers meet that Lulu Lytle somehow attended?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

Who's SeanT?
    I'm a bit surprised you think of that when suffering from insomnia. I would have thought it more likely you dreamed about it when you dropped off for a knap.
    It’s a worry.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

WOW

The cabinet descended into rancour over Boris Johnson’s future last night after both Sajid Javid and Rishi Sunak rebuked the prime minister.

One cabinet minister called for Johnson to dismiss Sunak, and two others accused the chancellor of being “on manoeuvres” after he criticised the prime minister for a personal attack on Sir Keir Starmer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/civil-war-in-cabinet-as-boris-johnson-told-to-sack-rishi-sunak-hgdfjtdjj

Were the three cabinet ministers, Nadine Dorries, Dadine Norries, and Enidan Seirrod?
  • Options

I don't post a huge amount but I love reading the articles/comments and posting occasionally. I'd love to drop in. How do you sign up?

Just turn up! It's like the masked orgy in Eyes Wide Shut - can't recognise anyone apart from @TSE in those epic sandals...
  • Options
    vinovino Posts: 151
    Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

I think that I'm the "oldest" poster - lots of LD posters in the early days - I enjoyed taking the mick out of them - claim to fame I started the "first" - October 2008
  • Options
    I can’t wait until paratroopers finally make their way into the 10 Downing Street apartment to find a “Moorish style” champagne fountain, the walls covered in actual gold leaf, and the ground littered with beer cans and discarded nappies.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

First encountered PB sometime in 2007, not long before the 2008 Iowa caucuses & New Hampshire primary.

Great post, Cookie!
  • Options

WOW

Were the three cabinet ministers, Nadine Dorries, Dadine Norries, and Enidan Seirrod?
    Oh please, please, please listen to Nad and sack Sunak.

Nailed on contest within hours.
  • Options
    vino said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

I think that I'm the "oldest" poster - lots of LD posters in the early days - I enjoyed taking the mick out of them - claim to fame I started the "first" - October 2008
    LDs are a bit thin on the ground nowadays. Mark Senior was the king of LD ramping. He had an astonishing ability to twist absolutely anything into fantastic news for the Lib Dems. He made HY look like an amateur. Oh…
  • Options
    I remember Tabman with fondness
  • Options

Just turn up! It's like the masked orgy in Eyes Wide Shut - can't recognise anyone apart from @TSE in those epic sandals...
    With a generously donated box of artisanal flint dildos for all the guests to enjoy?

Tragically I fear I shall be otherwise engaged that evening.
  • Options

vino said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

LDs are a bit thin on the ground nowadays. Mark Senior was the king of LD ramping. He had an astonishing ability to twist absolutely anything into fantastic news for the Lib Dems. He made HY look like an amateur. Oh…
    So true
  • Options

ydoethur said:

pigeon said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

18 years. Bloody Hell.

Who's SeanT?
    It’s a worry.
    Maybe we are all living in a SeanT virtual world?

The simulation hypothesis.

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited February 2022
    I have no idea when I started hanging out on PB, but Fitalass used to post in the midnight shift as did a LibDem MrsB IIRC. And, of course, my old comrade-in-shoes... Plato
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,658
    I will be there. It will be my first event. I have been here pretty much since the beginning. I don't know how I found the site. It would be fun to see some of the threads from the beginning. Fond memories from the early days of Augustus Carp (spelling?), JackW and others.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    So @ydoethur , how do we get out of Ash Wednesday services to get to this?
  • Options
    In what Universe was that notorious purveyor of endless tact, Boris Johnson "rebuked" by Sunak?
    He merely said he wouldn't have said the boundlessly stupid thing he said. As wouldn't anyone with half a Braincell.
  • Options
    Surely David Herdson and Antifrank were fairly early? Or maybe they only turned up 2 or 3 years in?
  • Options
    There was talk of creating an East Midland branch of PB
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Hold on.

Is this the birthday party / COBRA-with-beers meet that Lulu Lytle somehow attended?
    Who knows anymore.

Except Sue Gray.

There were so many parties that we are entering the realm of uncountable infinities.
  • Options

So @ydoethur , how do we get out of Ash Wednesday services to get to this?

It's not the Ash Wednesday services, it's Year 7 on Thursday morning that might be a slight problem...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,769
    "@IndyArts
    Jimmy Carr condemned for ‘truly disturbing’ joke about travellers in Netflix special"
  • Options

WOW

William Gladstone's political career ended with (or rather just after) the Blubbering Cabinet.

Could this Blabbering or Backbiting Cabinet be the handwriting on the wall for Boris Johnson?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.

Andrea, yes, of course. The surrealism of an affable Italian student with an Alan Duncan obsession.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,850
    edited February 2022

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Do south of the wall punters appreciate the beauty of the place? Pronounced Pee'a'heed, with the be great size of fishing boats in a harbour literally built by convicts
    Or Peterboro in a Govian accent, to go with Fraserhead.

Edit: given Leon's reaction to Wick, I wonder what he would make of Peterheid. Or the Broch.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

I've been around since 2008. First post not until 2016.
    I'm a closet LD.
    Don't agree with their Europe policy (well, EU policy) so drifted a bit in 2015-2018, but I'll vote for them as long as they push my all time number 1 priority..... voting reform.

• Options
    pigeon said:

With a generously donated box of artisanal flint dildos for all the guests to enjoy?

What is the PB obsession with flint dildos?
  • Options

Surely David Herdson and Antifrank were fairly early? Or maybe they only turned up 2 or 3 years in?

Antifrank was certainly there when I arrived.
    Oddly enough,I find his twitter persona nowadays much more akin to his old antifrank persona.
  • Options
    Cookie - didn't you have a relation who worked at East Midlands?
  • Options

I have no idea when I started hanging out on PB, but Fitalass used to post in the midnight shift as did a LibDem MrsB IIRC. And, of course, my old comrade-in-shoes... Plato

What happened to MrsB? I can't recall anything from her in a year or two?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

tpfkar said:

Hello.

Andrea, yes, of course. The surrealism of an affable Italian student with an Alan Duncan obsession.
    On of my first PB memories, is of the howls of outrage erupting, when someone posted that Andrea had no business as a foreigner commenting on UK politics (or to this effect).

Though the proto-woke and kind hearted were in evidence, at the core of the backlash were PB punters who'd personally profited from Andrea's perceptive analysis.
  • Options

Wow you're painting an interesting picture. I can't not go now! 😂
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720

pigeon said:

What is the PB obsession with flint dildos?
    It's SeanT's latest fictional persona's, er, trade.
  • Options

What happened to MrsB? I can't recall anything from her in a year or two?
    Perhaps she just quietly wandered off rather than indulging in the more traditional "flounce"
  • Options
    vino said:

I remember Tabman with fondness

Yes, Tabman! He made a brief reappearance a year or so back, I think, and has done from time to time.
  • Options

Fitalass was not my taste at all, but she did at least have a basic understanding of Scottish electoral behaviour, which was like gold dust in the early years.

She changed username and then diasappeared, although I’m fairly sure I saw her posting late one night not so long ago.

Easterross much missed. A proper Highland Tory. Hate to think what he makes of the current bunch of chancers denigrating the name of his party. Mike banned him. Forgotten why. When you see the scumbags that are allowed to post filth you have to wonder what a kindly old gentleman like Easterross did wrong.
  • Options
    VogonJ said:

Congratulations to PB on reaching adulthood. I’ve largely lurked on here over the years but retain considerable affection for the site. Not least because, back in the sites early days it helped me make a nice profit on my first venture into political gambling. In the 2008 Presidential Election, someone on here (are they still around?) noticed that no-one (in the UK at least) had clocked that Nebraskan electoral college votes are split and as a consequence the electoral college votes markets were awash with free money just waiting to be collected. Of course I have more than made up for it with losses since…

Welcome! Are you green, with a highly domed forehead?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,230
    Easterross is here with a new username I thought.
  • Options
    Ha ha Man United.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Poor Man Utd
This discussion has been closed.