Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Graying Out – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    The danger of this argument for the plotters is that in waiting for the perfect moment, they miss their moment https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-rebels-are-split
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

New Baxter prediction:

Lab 317 (+115)
    Con 238 (-127)
    SNP 59 (+11)
    Lib Dem 11 (nc)
    PC 5 (+1)
    Grn 1 (nc)
    NI 18 (nc)
    Speaker 1 (nc)

Labour short 9 seats of majority

LD 11 (nc)? I don't think so.

Others have caught up with Baxter and I put more trust in Flavible or the New Statesman model.
    I suspect some of the SNP's +11 are gains from LD's.
    Indeed, I'm sure they are - and though I would defer to the estimable @StuartDickson on this, I suspect they are fairly unlikely to materialise in practice. Regardless, I would expect the LDs to make more gains in England than they currently have seats in Scotland.
    Agree, subject to Mr D's opinion, about the likelihood or otherwise of SNP gains from LD's.
    If 1997 is any guide, then I suspect the LD's may do considerably better than this forecast.
    I think the LibDems are pretty nailed on to hold 3 of their 4 Scottish seats: Orkney & Shetland, Fife NE, and Edinburgh W. The seat in the far north is very vulnerable tho, and boundary changes transfer it to the SNP column anyway.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,032

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Mr. Dickson, Devon was one of two places I regularly went on holiday as a child. Have vague, but fond, memories of the seaside and pubs. Fewer castles than Wales but nicer weather.

Devon is one of the most beautiful corners of the UK, indeed of the world

A unique, fascinating, historic city: Plymouth (I know others differ but come at it afresh and it is astonishing)

Lush pastoral landscapes

Endless lovely villages, with attending churches and stately homes

Big enough not to have been ruined by over-population (ditto roads and rails, tho it probably needs more rails)

Two distinct coastlines, the mild, succulent south, the bracing wild north

Two impressive moorland wildernesses

Thick woods, gorgeous beaches, excellent seafood, delightful pubs, and areas -like northwest Devon, and the higher Tamar valley - that seem almost entirely empty in a way inconceivable in mild southern England.

And it has mostly escaped the huge influx that now plagues Cornwall

They need to fix two major things: rebuild ugly redbrick Exeter exactly as it was before the Germans flattened it. Do something about the tattier coastal resorts, Teignmouth, Dawlish, etc
    Have you ever thought about taking up travel writing?
    Best places to get pissed for 50 grand
    The Antarctic peninsula
    Though I didn't when I went there, was too engrossed in the magnificence of the scenery and wild life and immersed in the whole 2 week experience
    All true. But imagine being drunk on deck looking at this:
    We were drunk on the utter magnificence as shown in your photo.

Spellbound even

The expedition to Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands was our retirement celebration in 2010
    You are a lucky man.

I’ve travelled the entire world. And I used to find it hard to answer the question: “where’s the most amazing place you’ve been”

Now, after that late 2019 trip, it is easy. Antarctica. No question. It is mind boggling in a way like nowhere else on the planet. It is the closest you can come to LEAVING the planet without actually doing so

And so very very very very beautiful
    I've been told that South Georgia is actually much more impressive - from a wildlife spectacle POV - than the Antarctic itself. Any views?
    South Georgia is on a par with Antarctica and is the burial place of Ernest Shackleton

In our case our expedition was 'in the footprints of Shackleton' and sailed his epic 800 mile voyage in the 23 foot whaler, James Caird from Antarctica to South Georgia in the Antarctic inter of 1916
    I had never thought I had strong feelings about where I would like my final resting place to be.

But I had a sudden shudder of revulsion at the thought of my final resting place being South Georgia. And I was surprised to find it actually matters to me quite a lot.
    I don't know where I'd like by body to rest (or, more likely, my ashes to be scattered) but I very much don't want it to be South Georgia.
    Somewhere high up, with a view, I think, in the North of England. Possibly Arnside Knott.
  • Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Mr. Dickson, Devon was one of two places I regularly went on holiday as a child. Have vague, but fond, memories of the seaside and pubs. Fewer castles than Wales but nicer weather.

A unique, fascinating, historic city: Plymouth (I know others differ but come at it afresh and it is astonishing)

Lush pastoral landscapes

Big enough not to have been ruined by over-population (ditto roads and rails, tho it probably needs more rails)

Thick woods, gorgeous beaches, excellent seafood, delightful pubs, and areas -like northwest Devon, and the higher Tamar valley - that seem almost entirely empty in a way inconceivable in mild southern England.

They need to fix two major things: rebuild ugly redbrick Exeter exactly as it was before the Germans flattened it. Do something about the tattier coastal resorts, Teignmouth, Dawlish, etc
    The Antarctic peninsula
    Though I didn't when I went there, was too engrossed in the magnificence of the scenery and wild life and immersed in the whole 2 week experience

Spellbound even

The expedition to Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands was our retirement celebration in 2010
    I went on a work (well, PhD) trip a bit over a decade ago. On RRS James Clark Ross, predecessor to Boaty McBoatface RRS Sir David Attenborough. The JCR is apparently now 'Noosfera' and belongs to National Antarctic Scientific Center of Ukraine.

Somewhat less luxury than your trip and Leon's, I suspect; but just as spectacular. We didn't do any landings, but got to see some of the ice and wildlife pretty close. Flew from UK to Falkland on a military flight too, which was an experience.

Edit: And seeing OKC's comment, went to Patagonia too, for three weeks. Maybe I was wrong to say that by far the best part of my PhD was meeting my wife :wink:
    We did landings in a very controlled safety environment, even to having survival kits on landing in case we were hit by a katabatic (up to 190 mph) wind and of course we had to decontaminate ourselves on landing and return to the ship

We did experience one at South Georgia while on the ship and it is quite extraordinary and very dangerous
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Scott_xP said:

The danger of this argument for the plotters is that in waiting for the perfect moment, they miss their moment https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-rebels-are-split

The moment has been and gone..
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

I went on a work (well, PhD) trip a bit over a decade ago. On RRS James Clark Ross, predecessor to Boaty McBoatface RRS Sir David Attenborough. The JCR is apparently now 'Noosfera' and belongs to National Antarctic Scientific Center of Ukraine.

Somewhat less luxury than your trip and Leon's, I suspect; but just as spectacular. We didn't do any landings, but got to see some of the ice and wildlife pretty close. Flew from UK to Falkland on a military flight too, which was an experience.

Edit: And seeing OKC's comment, went to Patagonia too, for three weeks. Maybe I was wrong to say that by far the best part of my PhD was meeting my wife :wink:
    Glad to hear you got some benefit out of the James Clark Ross. It was a something of a financial disaster for the yard that made it - Swan Hunter, in Gateshead - used up all their reserves, apparently.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Scott_xP said:

There is a JFK quote for almost every occasion but this struck me as particularly aposite:

“If not us, who? If not now, when?”
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

I’ve travelled the entire world. And I used to find it hard to answer the question: “where’s the most amazing place you’ve been”

Now, after that late 2019 trip, it is easy. Antarctica. No question. It is mind boggling in a way like nowhere else on the planet. It is the closest you can come to LEAVING the planet without actually doing so

I've been told that South Georgia is actually much more impressive - from a wildlife spectacle POV - than the Antarctic itself. Any views?
    South Georgia is on a par with Antarctica and is the burial place of Ernest Shackleton

In our case our expedition was 'in the footprints of Shackleton' and sailed his epic 800 mile voyage in the 23 foot whaler, James Caird from Antarctica to South Georgia in the Antarctic inter of 1916
    I had never thought I had strong feelings about where I would like my final resting place to be.

But I had a sudden shudder of revulsion at the thought of my final resting place being South Georgia. And I was surprised to find it actually matters to me quite a lot.
    I don't know where I'd like by body to rest (or, more likely, my ashes to be scattered) but I very much don't want it to be South Georgia.
    Somewhere high up, with a view, I think, in the North of England. Possibly Arnside Knott.
    It's something one begins to think about as one gets into one's 80's, or as one approaches death, if younger. I've told my wife that I want my ashes in the local churchyard (managed by the Parish Council) among the people who have made us welcome in retirement.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

There is a JFK quote for almost every occasion but this struck me as particularly aposite:

JFK was quoting Hillel the Elder, I think.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Takes a peek. Sees that we are all still talking about birthday cake. goes back to lurking for a few more days.

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing, the PM is in Kiev today for a meeting with President Zelensky. Ukraine is getting worried that US interests and media are unnecessarily talking up the chances of a Russian invasion this month. There’s a fine line to tread between being supportive of an ally, and antagonising the Russians which makes the conflict more likely to happen.

Putin needs permission and political coverage from Xi to invade Ukraine. That isn't going to be forthcoming while it will fuck up the Winter Olympics so no invasion until the 21st.
    Covid is doing a pretty good job of that anyway. Maybe Xi will authorise the invasion to draw attention away from the games and the inevitable disastrous consequences of going ahead with them.
    My big fear is that Xi makes a play for Taiwan at the same time - i.e. during the Olympics. The US, UK and allies will not be able to put substantial aid to both Ukraine and Taiwan, and China will have lots of hostages guests staying for the Olympics.

It's unlikely, but would be a good way for both to achieve their goals.
    A Xi invasion of Taiwan could be
    coordinated with a Putin invasion of Ukraine.

It makes sense for them as they know the West will not go to war to defend Ukraine or Taiwan, only a NATO nation, South Korea or Japan.

Yougov finds meanwhile a majority of Germans and a plurality of voters in most other NATO nations oppose going to war with Russia if it invades Ukraine. Only a plurality of Americans and Danes favour going to war with Russia over the Ukraine but even then only 38% of Danes and 35% of Russians back war. Britons are split

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1488111850017406976?s=20&t=eh6ET0EsIAeXxNtKWoTyaQ
    It is absolutely insane that 30% of Britons want a war with Russia if they invade Ukraine. Apart from the risk of nuclear escalation we simply don't have the forces to do so.
    What's your answer then? Let Putin's evil take over Ukraine, and cast a pall over Eastern Europe?

Of course, you can always go over there and do one of the 'non-violent' protests you've trained for. That'd be fun to see. ;)
    No, I think it is reasonable to oppose by non military means, for example the sanctions package that Truss was announcing yesterday. I am actually in line with government on this, at least so far.

Do you really want British troops there, fighting Russians face to face in the snow and mud?
    No, I don't want it. Only a fool wants war. But neither am I willing to say 'never'.

However, the person threatening war is Putin, not us. He invades other countries. He jails or murders journalists. He poisons people in other countries. He enriches himself and his friends as his country descends down into the mire. (*)

We are facing an evil in the form of Putin's expansionism. Many times in the past we have seen people back down from evil, and evil expand. There comes a time to say 'no more'. The question is when that time is.

People like you - so keen to have pathetic little non-violent protests in a liberal country - should be the first to argue against real evils.

(*) I'm expecting certain parallels about this... ;)
    I find the attempts to moral equivalence the Ukrainian situation interesting.

If the Russia sent all the soldiers massing on the Ukrainian border to the pub, Russia would be in no danger. Ukraine has no wish for bit of Russia. They have even, pretty much, given up on getting Crimea back.
    I dont think its interesting, I think its shameful. People will cry that they are not seeking moral equivalence but that is not how it comes across, and from surprising quarters sometimes, and lamenting 'escalation' which is just 'responding' is usually a telltale sign.

It's like when people are so concerned about an overreaction to something that they end up arguing against a reaction at all.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    Paper on lockdown by John Hopkins University.

https://sites.krieger.jhu.edu/iae/files/2022/01/A-Literature-Review-and-Meta-Analysis-of-the-Effects-of-Lockdowns-on-COVID-19-Mortality.pdf

"Conclusions
    Overall, our meta-analysis fails to confirm that lockdowns have had a large, significant effect on
    mortality rates. Studies examining the relationship between lockdown strictness (based on the
    OxCGRT stringency index) find that the average lockdown in Europe and the United States only
    reduced COVID-19 mortality by 0.2% compared to a COVID-19 policy based solely on
    recommendations. Shelter-in-place orders (SIPOs) were also ineffective. They only reduced
    COVID-19 mortality by 2.9%.
    Studies looking at specific NPIs (lockdown vs. no lockdown, facemasks, closing non-essential
    businesses, border closures, school closures, and limiting gatherings) also find no broad-based
    evidence of noticeable effects on COVID-19 mortality. However, closing non-essential
    businesses seems to have had some effect (reducing COVID-19 mortality by 10.6%), which is
    likely to be related to the closure of bars. Also, masks may reduce COVID-19 mortality, but
    there is only one study that examines universal mask mandates. The effect of border closures,
    school closures and limiting gatherings on COVID-19 mortality yields precision-weighted
    estimates of -0.1%, -4.4%, and 1.6%, respectively. Lockdowns (compared to no lockdowns) also
    do not reduce COVID-19 mortality."

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

It's something one begins to think about as one gets into one's 80's, or as one approaches death, if younger. I've told my wife that I want my ashes in the local churchyard (managed by the Parish Council) among the people who have made us welcome in retirement.
    I'd spring for a neolithic style longbsrrow.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,784
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

It's a bit older than that...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_the_Elder
  • Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

In our case we will be buried near to my father, mother and sisters grave at our parish church overlooking our home and the Little Orme
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

It has.

Peak SKS was at 11.59am 13 days ago.

There is no additional Political capital to be made from banging on about parties. Quite the opposite.

Does this taking responsibility at the top not apply to the DPP?
  • eek said:

Scott_xP said:

My thought too.

They’ve blown it.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    Ben Wallace has ended Liz Truss's reign at the top of the ToryHome survey for next leader.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/02/our-cabinet-league-table-trusss-year-long-reign-is-ended-as-wallace-goes-top.html
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

We also have some very fine restaurants, using very fine local produce.

But Exeter is seeping out into the countryside at an alarming rate. Its transport network already grinds to a halt. Thousands more houses is going to cause political issues around the gridlock.

But then, who goes to Devon to go to Exeter?
    Two years ago, we stopped in Exeter on the way back from Cornwall. I was astounded how unappealing it was. I had assumed - based on nothing in particular - that it would be a pleasantly charming cathedral city akin to Lincoln or Norwich or Ely.

But it wasn't.

Now, it was raining, and I spent almost an hour in traffic jams trying to find somewhere to park, which was strangely impossible in a car with a roof box. So I wasn't in the best of tempers and I may have been unfortunate in what I found.
    But it seemed strangely charmless.

That said, we did, in the end, find a perfectly pleasant cafe on Polsloe Road.

On Leon's last point, there is a place in the world for tatty coastal resorts. Brash can be rather fun.
    The Exeter District of Topsham is the nice bit, voted best place to live in the SW:

https://lovetopsham.co.uk/2019/04/13/its-official-topsham-is-the-best-place-to-live-in-the-south-west/
    Have just had a scoot around it on Streetview - looks very pleasant indeed. Though looks pretty separate from Exeter - an independent little coastal town.
    Importantly, a) while it looks isolated, it actually looks quite easy to get to the motorway without having to fight through Exeter itself, and b) it has an actual rail link to Exeter City Centre, which gets you past the traffic.

I can see the attraction very clearly.
    In my head (because this is the way I think about things) I had thought that if I lived in Exeter it would be in Exeter's equivalent of Didsbury or Crosspool or Roundhay, and it would be a half hour walk to the city centre in one direction and a half hour walk to Dartmoor in the other. But it turns out such a place doesn't exist (of course it doesn't - I'm trying to force the sorts of suburbs you get on cities of half a million people onto a city of 100,000, and also fundamentally mangling geography).

So should I ever now end up living in Exeter, Topsham it is.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Takes a peek. Sees that we are all still talking about birthday cake. goes back to lurking for a few more days.

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing, the PM is in Kiev today for a meeting with President Zelensky. Ukraine is getting worried that US interests and media are unnecessarily talking up the chances of a Russian invasion this month. There’s a fine line to tread between being supportive of an ally, and antagonising the Russians which makes the conflict more likely to happen.

Putin needs permission and political coverage from Xi to invade Ukraine. That isn't going to be forthcoming while it will fuck up the Winter Olympics so no invasion until the 21st.
    Covid is doing a pretty good job of that anyway. Maybe Xi will authorise the invasion to draw attention away from the games and the inevitable disastrous consequences of going ahead with them.
    My big fear is that Xi makes a play for Taiwan at the same time - i.e. during the Olympics. The US, UK and allies will not be able to put substantial aid to both Ukraine and Taiwan, and China will have lots of hostages guests staying for the Olympics.

It makes sense for them as they know the West will not go to war to defend Ukraine or Taiwan, only a NATO nation, South Korea or Japan.

Yougov finds meanwhile a majority of Germans and a plurality of voters in most other NATO nations oppose going to war with Russia if it invades Ukraine. Only a plurality of Americans and Danes favour going to war with Russia over the Ukraine but even then only 38% of Danes and 35% of Russians back war. Britons are split

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1488111850017406976?s=20&t=eh6ET0EsIAeXxNtKWoTyaQ
    It is absolutely insane that 30% of Britons want a war with Russia if they invade Ukraine. Apart from the risk of nuclear escalation we simply don't have the forces to do so.
    What's your answer then? Let Putin's evil take over Ukraine, and cast a pall over Eastern Europe?

Of course, you can always go over there and do one of the 'non-violent' protests you've trained for. That'd be fun to see. ;)
    No, I think it is reasonable to oppose by non military means, for example the sanctions package that Truss was announcing yesterday. I am actually in line with government on this, at least so far.

Do you really want British troops there, fighting Russians face to face in the snow and mud?
    No, I don't want it. Only a fool wants war. But neither am I willing to say 'never'.

However, the person threatening war is Putin, not us. He invades other countries. He jails or murders journalists. He poisons people in other countries. He enriches himself and his friends as his country descends down into the mire. (*)

We are facing an evil in the form of Putin's expansionism. Many times in the past we have seen people back down from evil, and evil expand. There comes a time to say 'no more'. The question is when that time is.

People like you - so keen to have pathetic little non-violent protests in a liberal country - should be the first to argue against real evils.

If the Russia sent all the soldiers massing on the Ukrainian border to the pub, Russia would be in no danger. Ukraine has no wish for bit of Russia. They have even, pretty much, given up on getting Crimea back.
    I dont think its interesting, I think its shameful. People will cry that they are not seeking moral equivalence but that is not how it comes across, and from surprising quarters sometimes, and lamenting 'escalation' which is just 'responding' is usually a telltale sign.

It's like when people are so concerned about an overreaction to something that they end up arguing against a reaction at all.
    Has anyone been arguing about moral equivalence? If so I haven't seen it here.

What I have seen is war hawks not answering the question of which British forces they plan to send to Ukraine, to do what, how to prevent escalation etc.

If the last decades have taught us anything , it is that wars are much easier to start than finish. Something for Putin to think over too.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Well the poll says 30% want war with Russia if they invade Ukraine, which rather ignores that they already have done so twice in Crimea and the Donbas.

Considering our last few expeditionary wars were fiascos, perhaps tackling the worlds third strongest military may not be wise.

We should perhaps address our elites love of Russian oligarchs and their money laundromat in London if we oppose Putinism.

I oppose Putins fascism, but start with the simple stuff including the Russian influence on our establishment.
    Ah, so you're willing to have your feeble protests about relatively minor matters in the UK, but are willing to see the Russian bear take over eastern Europe? Because you do not have an answer to the immediate problem, only platitudes.

It's a view, I suppose. Chamberlain in 1938 showed the issues with that - and whilst the parallels are imperfect, they are there.

I agree about tackling Russian influence in the UK - including in all political parties (cough)Portsmouth South(cough) - oh, but he was a Lib Dem, wasn't he? - but that'll do nothing about the evil Ukraine is directly facing.
    'IT'S A VIEW I SUPPOSE' Surely the most hackneyed expression on PB. It needs to be banned!
    Absolutely. Count me in for your campaign.

It's almost as teeth-grindingly awful as "colour me ****" – which thankfully seems to have gone to the great PB in the sky.
    Alastair Cook's advice to budding journalists was to use adverbs and adjectives as infrequently as possible and never start a sentence with 'So'
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

It has.

Peak SKS was at 11.59am 13 days ago.

There is no additional Political capital to be made from banging on about parties. Quite the opposite.

Does this taking responsibility at the top not apply to the DPP?
    Read what all the reporting says https://fullfact.org/online/keir-starmer-prosecute-jimmy-savile/

It's a sad state of affairs that your hatred of SKS means you continually repeat items that we've already disproved.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

I've told Mrs DA that she has to build a Zoroastrian style Tower of Silence in the garden wherein those bits of me that can be recovered after the inevitable motorcycle accident will be excarnated by the local bird life.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,362
    EXCL: Scottish Tory peer says Boris Johnson should quit as party leader and seek a fresh mandate from members.
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-should-quit-force-26105149?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

I’ve already told my family (I’m not planning on going anytime soon…) that I want my ashes scattered around a Neolithic tomb near where I live.

It’s set in a dune system and overlooks the Atlantic - nothing else until you reach the US - just a stunning place whether high summer or filthy winter days.

I’ve always thought that the spot has clearly been important for thousands of years so quite nice to join whoever else is there!

One day in another thousand years it might be washed away by the sea but that’s fine.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

He said: ""If I am not for myself, who is for me? And being for my own self, what am ‘I’? And if not now, when?"

Which certainly has the same sentiment but is somewhat less succinct. But the "us" here is Tory back and front benchers. And the "now" speaks for itself. The excuse of waiting for Gray was pathetic but it no longer exists. Enough.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

We did landings in a very controlled safety environment, even to having survival kits on landing in case we were hit by a katabatic (up to 190 mph) wind and of course we had to decontaminate ourselves on landing and return to the ship

We did experience one at South Georgia while on the ship and it is quite extraordinary and very dangerous
    Try kayaking between the mountain sized icebergs.

To prepare you have to get suited up like an astronaut. Literally. About six layer of dry suit. One zip open, the water gets in - kaput

OTOH hand at the end of the voyage everyone did the Antarctic dive. In swimming costume. Into the coldest water on earth. They have scuba divers ready to haul you out IMMEDIATELY

The endorphine high at the end is intense. I have a video of me doing it. I go in all proud and saluting - four seconds later I am dragged out panicking and flailing. Scary
    edited February 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

'IT'S A VIEW I SUPPOSE' Surely the most hackneyed expression on PB. It needs to be banned!

It can't be the most hackneyed expression while that 'irregular verb' shit endures.
    It endures because it's true, sorry if that upsets you. Perhaps if people threw in random swearing in an attempt to be cool and alternative? As from what I understand politeness is fake or some such rubbish.
    edited February 2022
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

What I have seen is war hawks not answering the question of which British forces they plan to send to Ukraine, to do what, how to prevent escalation etc.

If the last decades have taught us anything , it is that wars are much easier to start than finish. Something for Putin to think over too.
    I don't think even the most hawkish are arguing for starting a war.
    Any such decision is entirely in Putin's hands.

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

In our case we will be buried near to my father, mother and sisters grave at our parish church overlooking our home and the Little Orme
    The last few deaths in my family have resulted in ashes being scattered in various places. My daughter's were scattered in the Thames Estuary, off the beach where she'd played as a child, and later taken her children. Directly opposite the spot, which is a mile or so out, on the beachside walk, there's her memorial bench, which we all try and go to on the anniversaries.
    My parents in law are buried in wicker coffins on this woodland burial site. It is a lovely spot, and my FiL was always a lover of recycling. An oak tree grows on their grave.

https://www.woodlandburials.com/
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

There was me thinking that was Will Carling before the 1991 World Cup Final (of infamous Aussie cheating infamy)

Whatever the reality, it is one of those things that can never be unheard.

It was gutter politics from Johnson, but effective gutter politics nonetheless.
    I disagree. Yes, Johnson's Saville smear was gutter politics. But I don't think it was effective. It was a seriously wrong claim that is beyond the pale - not just to lefties like me, but to a lot of Tories as well. I think it may come back to haunt Johnson, and he will end up regretting it. He certainly won't double down on it.
    I think it's another dead cat, and absolutely deliberate. He'd like us all to be debating the history of non-prosecution of Jimmy Saville, with references to the various dates of investigations, who said what, etc. The fact the Starmer had no involvement with it whatsoever would be mentioned, and no doubt Johnson will give a casual non-acknowledgement of that at some point - "I'm sure voters wil be pleased to hear that he allegedly wasn't involved" or the like. Some mud would still stick with only vaguely interested voters, and all the time we'd been discussing that is time not spent discussing whether Johnson lied to the Commons.

I don't think we should allow ourselves to be distracted. It's bollocks, just as though he'd accused Starmer of being a Martian spy, and we should ignore bollocks.
    Agreed - the fact we've heard it was planned, not spontaneous, suggests hid motive was clear.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Well the poll says 30% want war with Russia if they invade Ukraine, which rather ignores that they already have done so twice in Crimea and the Donbas.

Considering our last few expeditionary wars were fiascos, perhaps tackling the worlds third strongest military may not be wise.

We should perhaps address our elites love of Russian oligarchs and their money laundromat in London if we oppose Putinism.

I oppose Putins fascism, but start with the simple stuff including the Russian influence on our establishment.
    Ah, so you're willing to have your feeble protests about relatively minor matters in the UK, but are willing to see the Russian bear take over eastern Europe? Because you do not have an answer to the immediate problem, only platitudes.

It's a view, I suppose. Chamberlain in 1938 showed the issues with that - and whilst the parallels are imperfect, they are there.

I agree about tackling Russian influence in the UK - including in all political parties (cough)Portsmouth South(cough) - oh, but he was a Lib Dem, wasn't he? - but that'll do nothing about the evil Ukraine is directly facing.

It's almost as teeth-grindingly awful as "colour me ****" – which thankfully seems to have gone to the great PB in the sky.
    Alastair Cook's advice to budding journalists was to use adverbs and adjectives as infrequently as possible and never start a sentence with 'So'
    Starting a sentence with 'so' is a neologism which grates on me. Seems to be a current favourite of quiz show contestants.

Also in that category is the overuse of the word 'literally'. Like everyone else, I enjoy getting cheerfully angry about 'literally' to mean 'not literally' (e.g. "my mouth was literally on fire"). But in recent years another misuse of literally has arisen - 'literally' to mean 'literally, but I can't believe you wouldn't be taking me literally, so the word is redundant' - e.g. "it was literally a nice light grey colour".
    Sometimes at school pick up if you vaguely tune into the background chat it can sound as if it consists solely of the word 'literally', over and over again.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651

The dark horse has begun galloping....

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/02/our-cabinet-league-table-trusss-year-long-reign-is-ended-as-wallace-goes-top.html

"Ben Wallace’s vigorous response to the crisis in eastern Europe, coming relatively soon after his mature conduct during the Afghanistan debacle, propels him upwards from 62 points to 80 points – and he displaces Liz Truss after her year-long reign at the top of the table. The Defence Secretary’s name has crept into the margins of future Party leadership speculation. It will now advance further."

Check out his wiki entry. The sort of record beloved of Tory activists. Significant record of public service. And he gets Scotland - former MSP.

Do any Con MSPs “get” Scotland? Perhaps. But never seen any evidence Ben Wallace was among their number.
    One term at Holyrood and made no discernible impact. The fact that he has turned up as one of Johnson's piglets is not a particularly good indication for anything other than an attraction to ordure.
    Cookie said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Starting a sentence with 'so' is a neologism which grates on me. Seems to be a current favourite of quiz show contestants.

Also in that category is the overuse of the word 'literally'. Like everyone else, I enjoy getting cheerfully angry about 'literally' to mean 'not literally' (e.g. "my mouth was literally on fire"). But in recent years another misuse of literally has arisen - 'literally' to mean 'literally, but I can't believe you wouldn't be taking me literally, so the word is redundant' - e.g. "it was literally a nice light grey colour".
    Sometimes at school pick up if you vaguely tune into the background chat it can sound as if it consists solely of the word 'literally', over and over again.
    So prescriptive.
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

You are a lucky man.

I've told Mrs DA that she has to build a Zoroastrian style Tower of Silence in the garden wherein those bits of me that can be recovered after the inevitable motorcycle accident will be excarnated by the local bird life.
    Awesome choice. Busybodies at the council wont allow it I'll bet.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Sage advice from a cricket captain. Oh - did you mean Alistair Cooke?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590
    Why are you lot banging on in this old thread.

Worse than SKS and parties
    edited February 2022
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

I don't think even the most hawkish are arguing for starting a war.
    Any such decision is entirely in Putin's hands.
    Though in the poll 30% of Britons think we should go to war with Russia over Ukraine if Russia invades.

I suspect that they haven't really considered what war with Russia would involve*, but we have to take it at face value.

*war means military action in my understanding, not sanctions etc.
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Its implied by plenty of people (not necessarily on here). Over concern about responding in any way, rather than relevant commentary that realistic options are limited, are a clear sign of it in my view.
    Cookie said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

So, a kinda unique grievance 🙂
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Lush pastoral landscapes

The Antarctic peninsula

Spellbound even

Try kayaking between the mountain sized icebergs.

To prepare you have to get suited up like an astronaut. Literally. About six layer of dry suit. One zip open, the water gets in - kaput

OTOH hand at the end of the voyage everyone did the Antarctic dive. In swimming costume. Into the coldest water on earth. They have scuba divers ready to haul you out IMMEDIATELY

The endorphine high at the end is intense. I have a video of me doing it. I go in all proud and saluting - four seconds later I am dragged out panicking and flailing. Scary
    Weirdly, no matter how cold the weather is there, the sea water is not that much colder than the North sea in winter. So salt dissolved in the water allows it to go below 0 deg C, but its only around -1 or -2 and this compares to say 6 deg C in the north sea. Both options bloody cold.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Scott_xP said:

He said: ""If I am not for myself, who is for me? And being for my own self, what am ‘I’? And if not now, when?"

Which certainly has the same sentiment but is somewhat less succinct. But the "us" here is Tory back and front benchers. And the "now" speaks for itself. The excuse of waiting for Gray was pathetic but it no longer exists. Enough.
    Hillel was generally sound, but...
    ...Thus, Hillel provided a riding horse to a man of good family who became poor, in order that he not be deprived of his customary physical exercise; he also gave him a slave, that he might be served.

This thread has jumped into the antarctic waters and is currently drowning

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

The reason I find it interesting is that the "moral equivelance" brigade always have other matters where they can take a side. And with great vituperation, generally.

What they are really saying is "I really like the bad guys. But I can't say that"

See the Tankie Left not-very-subtle love for the Serbians, in the Yugoslav War.

But that brings up back to the irregular verbs..... which so triggers poor @Dura_Ace
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Regarding Ukraine, if public support for military action is 30%, that is a weak basis for going to war. It would be likely to decline, if the war doesn't go well, which it is probable - as it will be difficult. A humiliating withdrawal would put Putin in a stronger position, than he is in now. In the end, Russia has resolve and confidence in itself, and we don't. Despite the problems Russia faces, it has strength in its sense of purpose and national mission, all of which are things that we lack. From a practical point of view, such a sense of purpose and direction will never be found in "woke" thinking, and nor, it has now been proven, will it ever be found in Boris Johnson.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Taz said:

Roger said:

FF43 said:

I assume Liz Truss, like millions of others, believed Jimmy Savile to be a just deceased man of good works. She wasn't part of the conspiracy of journalists who knew who he really was but help promote his image for TV programming or newspaper copy.
    ITV have just made a film about him coming out in March called 'The Reckoning'. It's good.
    BBC actually. And it’s a 4 part drama.
    I had a small involvement in the making of it and the producer I was dealing with was from ITV. It may well be being shown on the BBC or even be a joint production
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,219
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

That’s that then, no VONC. Cowards.

Actually it's not cowardice per se.

Think about it, they try and VONC him, and he survives and then he's either charged or fined, he'll try and brazen it out, safe in the knowledge the party cannot oust him for 12 months.

Better to wait until he's charged/fined.
    The threshold to remove him keeps moving up for arbitrary reasons. It now seems to be that he be found to have committed a criminal offence.
    Yes I noticed that too. Whereas until a few days ago it was about misleading (lying to) the House. Which he obviously did.
    The problem is that the Conservative Party has to find somebody to replace him who will not plunge it into a costly civil war whilst at the same time appearing plausible to the public at large. It needs to buy time to arrange this. This is the only explanation for its delay in removing the oaf.

He's a goner, but what comes next is far from clear. If it goes badly for them, the Party could soon be replacing the LibDems as the third largest Party in Westminster.
    The LDs will never win more seats than the Tories.

Only party that might is RefUK if they overtook the Tories as the main party of the right as Labour overtook the Liberals as the main party of the centre left early last century.

The LDs are now split between centre right Orange Bookers and centre left social democrats
    You are describing the party 10 years ago. 11 of the party’s 13 MPs weren’t even in Parliament when The Orange Book came out.
    Davey is LD leader and was a Cabinet Minister in Cameron's government and even helped write the Orange Book.

Boris of course never served in Cameron's Cabinet unlike Ed Davey
    Indeed. But how does that demonstrate your contention that the party is now split between Orange Bookers and social democrats?
    Ed Davey is an Orange Booker, his opponent for LD leader in 2020 was Layla Moran, a social democrat
    You can label people how you want, but was that reflective of the nature of the leadership contest? No, it wasn’t. The key themes were about Davey having experience, but therefore also being linked to the coalition Govt, vs Moran, a fresh face, but inexperienced. There was some difference in policy positions: Davey proposing a focus on carers, Moran wanting to prioritise education. Moran argued that the 2019 campaign had focused too much on reversing Brexit.

You can find a left-right spectrum within the LibDems, as within other parties. Davey is slightly to the right of Moran. But the party is not riven in two: the policy differences among the Parliamentary party are minimal. They do not compare to what’s going on in Labour or the Conservatives (but then it’s easier to all agree in a smaller party).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited February 2022
This discussion has been closed.