Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Graying Out – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited February 2022 in General
imageGraying Out – politicalbetting.com

Some thoughts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    TL;DR

Joke - I probably will I seem to have found myself in a insomnia/hypomanic phase.
    Pinch punch - first of the month.

And I think congratulations to Rihanna are in order.
    edited February 2022
    OK,

For a start - these headlines are very different to the ones I'm getting flashed on Sky news.

EDIT - sorry that was just the Guardian they showed.

Sky news appear to be showing their true colours tonight by semi-censoring the bad headlines.

BBC - Lefty

Sky - Righty (?)

Everyone knows that.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,110
    edited February 2022
    Looking at the front pages at the top of the thread, the Mirror again refers to a party in the PM's flat whereas the Gray "update" refers to the Number 10 flat. Boris lives in the larger flat above Number 11. We could use some clarification as to whether Gray did mean Boris's home or if an otherwise empty flat was taken over.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,480
    edited February 2022

Looking at the front pages at the top of the thread, the Mirror again refers to a party in the PM's flat whereas the Gray "update" refers to the Number 10 flat. Boris lives in the larger flat above Number 11. We could use some clarification as to whether Gray did mean Boris's home or if an otherwise empty flat was taken over.

Oh good spot though doesn't Rishi Sunak live in the Number 10 flat? So yes technically the flat referred to is his and not the PMs, but I'm guessing that's not what Gray meant.

Edit: No it seems Sunak has chosen not to live in Downing Street and lives in Kensington instead. Didn't know that.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842

Good point. As you say, the Johnsons live at Number 11. Does Rishi actually live at Number 10 - and if not is it available for others to use as what Kevin Bridges would refer to as an "Empty"?
  • stjohn said:

Good point. As you say, the Johnsons live at Number 11. Does Rishi actually live at Number 10 - and if not is it available for others to use as what Kevin Bridges would refer to as an "Empty"?
    Aiui Rishi does not live in Downing Street.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    edited February 2022

stjohn said:

Aiui Rishi does not live in Downing Street.
    Curiouser and curiouser!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    stjohn said:

Non point. They mean the Johnson flat in no 11.
    Getting reports from various sources that it's Chinese New Year.

Ni Hao fellow insomniacs.

Year of the Tiger

GRRRRRRRRRr
    Can't make head or tail of Ms Cyclefree's last paragraph.

She's already known to be an anti-Boris zealot so if it's aimed at stopping a war in Ukraine...

Well at she's got good motives.
  • JBriskin3 said:

She's already known to be an anti-Boris zealot so if it's aimed at stopping a war in Ukraine...

Cyclefree is placing her faith, or at least her hope, in Priti, who can tell the Met to get a wriggle on. Then there's a bit of Macbeth (by Shakespeare).
  • Hansard's record of the debate is at
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2022-01-31/debates/6B412B49-AB7D-4FE3-9F82-B9EAE93FB6AC/SueGrayReport

Video via parliament.tv or on Youtube in several places including
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6feTrlXV0gc

JBriskin3 said:

Cyclefree is placing her faith, or at least her hope, in Priti, who can tell the Met to get a wriggle on. Then there's a bit of Macbeth (by Shakespeare).
    Thanks

I had just about worked out the first part.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    Happy new month. Can't decide whether January went slowly or quickly.
  • The second episode of The Nilsen Files on BBC2 last night started with Peter Tatchell and the notoriously homophopic byelection in Bermondsey. Available on an iplayer near you.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    This is the month I turn 30 years old
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

In how many years’ time?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,369
    "'Carrie wants a clique, Boris is a loner. In both cases it’s about self-preservation’
    The prime minister’s wife is the most powerful political spouse in living memory; he could be on his way out. Rachel Sylvester on what drives the Johnsons" (£)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/carrie-boris-johnson-she-wants-a-clique-he-s-a-loner-in-both-cases-it-s-about-self-preservation-m8qxscbtw
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

The second episode of The Nilsen Files on BBC2 last night started with Peter Tatchell and the notoriously homophopic byelection in Bermondsey. Available on an iplayer near you.

Why is Peter Tatchell not in the House of Lords?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

That'll be the age a certain 20 year old man from Manchester gets out judging from twitter evidence.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Takes a peek. Sees that we are all still talking about birthday cake. goes back to lurking for a few more days.

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing, the PM is in Kiev today for a meeting with President Zelensky. Ukraine is getting worried that US interests and media are unnecessarily talking up the chances of a Russian invasion this month. There’s a fine line to tread between being supportive of an ally, and antagonising the Russians which makes the conflict more likely to happen.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    I thought he would go to Ukraine in the night. It's all so obvious, so blatant, so naked.

A pathetic prime minister.
    Sandpit said:

antagonising the Russians which makes the conflict more likely to happen.

Almost certainly what Boris Johnson would like to happen
  • pingping Posts: 3,805

The second episode of The Nilsen Files on BBC2 last night started with Peter Tatchell and the notoriously homophopic byelection in Bermondsey. Available on an iplayer near you.

Why is Peter Tatchell not in the House of Lords?
    There’s a controversy around a chapter he wrote for a book, published in the 1980’s, apparently. Oh, and there was a letter to the guardian. A bit of Googling will tell you more.

He has/(had?) some views on the age of consent that the general public would find unpalatable. I’m not sure I’d ennoble him, personally.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    edited February 2022
    Sandpit said:

Takes a peek. Sees that we are all still talking about birthday cake. goes back to lurking for a few more days.

Meanwhile, apropos of nothing, the PM is in Kiev today for a meeting with President Zelensky. Ukraine is getting worried that US interests and media are unnecessarily talking up the chances of a Russian invasion this month. There’s a fine line to tread between being supportive of an ally, and antagonising the Russians which makes the conflict more likely to happen.

Zelensky must be beside himself with hope and anticipation at the words of wisdom, encouragement and advice that this renowned expert in diplomacy and international affairs will contribute in his hour of need.
  • On topic, Johnson out, Dick out.

That's the absolute bare minimum to help restore standards in public life.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    That’s nothing compared with Rob Brydon’s autobiography.
    edited February 2022

On topic, Johnson out, Dick out.

Which Dick do you have in mind? There's plenty of choice.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478
    Can someone give me a breakdown of why Wales and Scotland's Covid numbers are substantially lower than England's? What combination of restrictions and reporting differences has caused it, as it appears rather stark on the maps.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256

We may get neither. The sad truth is that this government is run by a cabal of incompetent shameless brazen nobbers. And your party doesn't have enough people like you and @Tissue_Price in it to call this out and expect standards and decency and morality.

This is not a left vs right issue. No previous Tory Prime Minister would have done these things. No previous Tory Prime Minister would be brazenly and shamelessly trying to carry on. We have to expect the highest standards of the people at the highest levels of public office. That we do not - and shameless people think shameless behaviour is ok - brings us all low.
    They are the same lot who made him leader in the full knowledge that he was lazy, incompetent and mendacious. Why, therefore, would we expect them to find a moral compass now?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    That’s that then, no VONC. Cowards.
  • moonshine said:

Actually it's not cowardice per se.

Think about it, they try and VONC him, and he survives and then he's either charged or fined, he'll try and brazen it out, safe in the knowledge the party cannot oust him for 12 months.

Better to wait until he's charged/fined.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

moonshine said:

Think about it, they try and VONC him, and he survives and then he's either charged or fined, he'll try and brazen it out, safe in the knowledge the party cannot oust him for 12 months.

The threshold to remove him keeps moving up for arbitrary reasons. It now seems to be that he be found to have committed a criminal offence.
  • eek said:

At least she doesn’t edit her history and that is way better than a few embarrassing tweets
    She isn't the only one to have been taking in by Savile. I don't think Louis Theroux's career ever recovered from his in-depth documentary that somehow managed to miss the paedophile's interest in young children.
    The tories are in a real bind, aren't they?

On the one hand they have a leader who (apparently) delivered Brexit and won brilliantly in 2019. So a proven winner, they think. Every time they come close to ditching him the Telegraph and Mail pitch in to remind them how marvellous he is.

On the other hand he's an awful leader who is dragging his party and country through the gutter. Plenty of tory MPs know that he's terrible.

So do they stick with the first and hope he will turn it around? Or do they go for the jugular and replace him with someone competent?

From a left point of view it's quite funny to see people believe that because something happened in the past it's bound to happen again. There are still those who think it was wrong to remove Margaret Thatcher. There are those convinced that because Boris won once (against an unelectable left wing anti-semite) he's bound to do so again.

Whilst I'd love him to be removed now, and whilst I hate seeing the chaos around him spread through the country, I'm content to see this farce continue.

The longer it goes on the more likely a Labour victory becomes. 2 years, 3 months, and 4 days.
    edited February 2022
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

The threshold to remove him keeps moving up for arbitrary reasons. It now seems to be that he be found to have committed a criminal offence.
    Yes I noticed that too. Whereas until a few days ago it was about misleading (lying to) the House. Which he obviously did.
  • Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Yes I noticed that too. Whereas until a few days ago it was about misleading (lying to) the House. Which he obviously did.
    Was glad to see Blackford saying what needed to be said. Others need to do the same and keep doing so until the message sinks in.
    edited February 2022

We may get neither. The sad truth is that this government is run by a cabal of incompetent shameless brazen nobbers. And your party doesn't have enough people like you and @Tissue_Price in it to call this out and expect standards and decency and morality.

This is not a left vs right issue. No previous Tory Prime Minister would have done these things. No previous Tory Prime Minister would be brazenly and shamelessly trying to carry on. We have to expect the highest standards of the people at the highest levels of public office. That we do not - and shameless people think shameless behaviour is ok - brings us all low.
    They are the same lot who made him leader in the full knowledge that he was lazy, incompetent and mendacious. Why, therefore, would we expect them to find a moral compass now?
    Voters, my friend.

Brady - come on man, open your mail.
  • Question. Is Truss contracting Covid the 2022 version of John major having his wisdom teeth out...?
    edited February 2022
    Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

The problem is that the Conservative Party has to find somebody to replace him who will not plunge it into a costly civil war whilst at the same time appearing plausible to the public at large. It needs to buy time to arrange this. This is the only explanation for its delay in removing the oaf.

He's a goner, but what comes next is far from clear. If it goes badly for them, the Party could soon be replacing the LibDems as the third largest Party in Westminster.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

The problem is that the Conservative Party has to find somebody to replace him who will not plunge it into a costly civil war whilst at the same time appearing plausible to the public at large. It needs to buy time to arrange this. This is the only explanation for its delay in removing the oaf.
    Should it really be so hard to find a successor who is less unfit for office than Johnson?

Buridan's Ass springs to mind.
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Was glad to see Blackford saying what needed to be said. Others need to do the same and keep doing so until the message sinks in.
    It was no doubt a somewhat contrived departure and normally I don't care for silly theatricals in the Commons but I think this may have served some useful purpose.

The convention that you don't call a fellow Member a liar only works if you can generally take it for granted that MPs do not lie to the House. The convention rather collapses when you have a PM who is a serial liar and has so obviously lied to and misled the house that only a fool would think otherwise.

Blackford was thrown out for stating the obvious. It's time the convention was binned. It has become obsolete.

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

He's a goner, but what comes next is far from clear. If it goes badly for them, the Party could soon be replacing the LibDems as the third largest Party in Westminster.
    If only they were.
  • moonshine said:

moonshine said:

That's what this was always about though wasn't it?

Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.

If there's nothing criminal then there's been no lies and nothing wrong. Though that seems extremely unlikely given the details given.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Sandpit said:

Putin needs permission and political coverage from Xi to invade Ukraine. That isn't going to be forthcoming while it will fuck up the Winter Olympics so no invasion until the 21st.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

You're anticipating a sudden SNP collapse? :wink:
  • Good morning, everyone.

I have vague memories of, at primary school, it being remarked upon that Savile was a kiddy fiddler. Obviously, kids can talk a lot of rubbish, but if it was on the radar of primary schoolchildren then one suspects an awful lot of people had at least heard rumours.

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

That's what this was always about though wasn't it?

Lawmakers can not be lawbreakers.

If there's nothing criminal then there's been no lies and nothing wrong. Though that seems extremely unlikely given the details given.
    There have been lies, regardless. ‘All guidelines were followed’. He was ‘furious’ when he ‘found out’ about the gatherings, which he both attended and was warned not to authorise. Etc.

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

It was no doubt a somewhat contrived departure and normally I don't care for silly theatricals in the Commons but I think this may have served some useful purpose.

The convention that you don't call a fellow Member a liar only works if you can generally take it for granted that MPs do not lie to the House. The convention rather collapses when you have a PM who is a serial liar and has so obviously lied to and misled the house that only a fool would think otherwise.

Blackford was thrown out for stating the obvious. It's time the convention was binned. It has become obsolete.
    What's needed instead is a proper impeachment process. So people who lie, either about themselves or about others, can be removed from the House.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Putin needs permission and political coverage from Xi to invade Ukraine. That isn't going to be forthcoming while it will fuck up the Winter Olympics so no invasion until the 21st.
    Covid is doing a pretty good job of that anyway. Maybe Xi will authorise the invasion to draw attention away from the games and the inevitable disastrous consequences of going ahead with them.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

The LibDems are the fourth largest party in Westminster but I take your point.
  • Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Disagree with the last part - with so many brainless morons in the house (think Tory and Labour back bench cannon fodder like Sultana and Young) we can't give the OK to shouting LIAR as they will never stop.

It should be a simple basis of fact that members do not knowingly mislead - lie - to the house. As you say the disgrace cannot stop lying and needs to be called out for it.

What I think would be powerful is if we see a succession of members standing up and calling him a liar. Mr Speaker will remove the first few, but very quickly the whole house will grind to a stop - he'd probably have to suspend the sitting. Then a point of order - as the PM is demonstrably lying why are you suspending the sitting?

Think about the coverage. You want to slam the message home hard to the public, go do it. Which is why Blackford did. Elections coming up remember, and Dross and his colleagues want people to vote for the party of the disgrace.
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Correct. I should of course have said in England.

Noted with thanks and apologies to the SNP and its supporters.
  • Good morning, everyone.

I have vague memories of, at primary school, it being remarked upon that Savile was a kiddy fiddler. Obviously, kids can talk a lot of rubbish, but if it was on the radar of primary schoolchildren then one suspects an awful lot of people had at least heard rumours.

It is inconceivable that his producers and senior executives at the BBC were unaware.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Question. Is Truss contracting Covid the 2022 version of John major having his wisdom teeth out...?

Truss is absolutely ghastly......she sounds like a shoo-in

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Correct. I should of course have said in England.

Noted with thanks and apologies to the SNP and its supporters.
    The Lib Dems have nine seats in England, the Tories 343.

Delightful though such a reversal would be I suspect it will take a while to achieve. The Liberals took 19 years from their last overall majority to be reduced to minor party status.
  • Chris said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Should it really be so hard to find a successor who is less unfit for office than Johnson?

Unfortunately, Buridan's Ass was deselected in 2019 for abstaining on the Big Brexit Vote.

(Bigger point- if you're looking for a sufficiently untainted anti-Boris leader, you may have a struggle.)

Chris said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Unfortunately, Buridan's Ass was deselected in 2019 for abstaining on the Big Brexit Vote.

(Bigger point- if you're looking for a sufficiently untainted anti-Boris leader, you may have a struggle.)
    Hunt would be closest. But he'd struggle to get support among the membership, as we see on the boards here.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,219

Oh good spot though doesn't Rishi Sunak live in the Number 10 flat? So yes technically the flat referred to is his and not the PMs, but I'm guessing that's not what Gray meant.

Edit: No it seems Sunak has chosen not to live in Downing Street and lives in Kensington instead. Didn't know that.
    Government often refers to the PM’s residence in no. 11 as the No. 10 flat.
    FF43 said:

I assume Liz Truss, like millions of others, believed Jimmy Savile to be a just deceased man of good works. She wasn't part of the conspiracy of journalists who knew who he really was but help promote his image for TV programming or newspaper copy.
    ITV have just made a film about him coming out in March called 'The Reckoning'. It's good.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,052
    edited February 2022
    Ben Wallace tops the league table in new Conservative Home Cabinet satisfaction survey on 79% net favourable, overtaking Liz Truss on 66%.

Rishi Sunak falls to his lowest rating yet at 39% net favourable

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/02/our-cabinet-league-table-trusss-year-long-reign-is-ended-as-wallace-goes-top.html
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,320
    HYUFD said:

Ben Wallace tops the league table in new Conservative Home Cabinet satisfaction survey on 79% net favourable, overtaking Liz Truss on 66%.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2022/02/our-cabinet-league-table-trusss-year-long-reign-is-ended-as-wallace-goes-top.html

Being a fanny and taxing workers is unpopular who knew
    Raab is today’s lucky volunteer
  • FF43 said:

I assume Liz Truss, like millions of others, believed Jimmy Savile to be a just deceased man of good works. She wasn't part of the conspiracy of journalists who knew who he really was but help promote his image for TV programming or newspaper copy.
    Savile created a distinct, outlandish persona to hide who he really was from the public. Quite similar to a certain politician specifically in that regard.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    HYUFD said:

Both paying the price for failing to act. Still miles ahead of Boris.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,783
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Yes, it's cowardice mixed with stupidity.
    On Cyclefree's Macbeth theme, they are letting 'I dare not' wait upon 'I would'.
    edited February 2022

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

The LDs will never win more seats than the Tories.

Only party that might is RefUK if they overtook the Tories as the main party of the right as Labour overtook the Liberals as the main party of the centre left early last century.

The LDs are now split between centre right Orange Bookers and centre left social democrats

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Disagree with the last part - with so many brainless morons in the house (think Tory and Labour back bench cannon fodder like Sultana and Young) we can't give the OK to shouting LIAR as they will never stop.

It should be a simple basis of fact that members do not knowingly mislead - lie - to the house. As you say the disgrace cannot stop lying and needs to be called out for it.

What I think would be powerful is if we see a succession of members standing up and calling him a liar. Mr Speaker will remove the first few, but very quickly the whole house will grind to a stop - he'd probably have to suspend the sitting. Then a point of order - as the PM is demonstrably lying why are you suspending the sitting?

Think about the coverage. You want to slam the message home hard to the public, go do it. Which is why Blackford did. Elections coming up remember, and Dross and his colleagues want people to vote for the party of the disgrace.
    On a point of order, Mr Speaker, how should we address a member who is a blatant and incorrigible liar ?
  • @HUYFD

'The LDs will never win more seats than the Tories.'

Is the Conservative Party intending to test this theory to destruction?
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

What's needed instead is a proper impeachment process. So people who lie, either about themselves or about others, can be removed from the House.
    And how might that work when the liar continues to command a majority in the House ?
    Shocking story coming out of Afghanistan. Only 3% of the population living above the poverty line. They are in serious danger of starvation. The UK government have a serious responsibility for whats going on. A good opportunity for Johnson to change the habit of a lifetime and try to do some good.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,478

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Covid is doing a pretty good job of that anyway. Maybe Xi will authorise the invasion to draw attention away from the games and the inevitable disastrous consequences of going ahead with them.
    My big fear is that Xi makes a play for Taiwan at the same time - i.e. during the Olympics. The US, UK and allies will not be able to put substantial aid to both Ukraine and Taiwan, and China will have lots of hostages guests staying for the Olympics.

It's unlikely, but would be a good way for both to achieve their goals.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

On a point of order, Mr Speaker, how should we address a member who is a blatant and incorrigible liar ?
    Prime Minister?

Good morning everyone. The boil isn't lanced yet, is it!
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    edited February 2022
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Only party that might is RefUK if they overtook the Tories as the main party of the right as Labour overtook the Liberals as the main party of the centre left early last century.

The LDs are now split between centre right Orange Bookers and centre left social democrats
    Define “split”. The LibDems are an internal coalition, just like any other British political party. I’ll grant you that the Greens’ MPs are of one united mind.
    edited February 2022

@HUYFD

'The LDs will never win more seats than the Tories.'

Is the Conservative Party intending to test this theory to destruction?

The only way they would is if we ended up with a Canada 1993 style scenario where the populist right Reform Party became the main party of the right and overtook the Tories as the main opposition to the Liberals (Reform merging with the Tories in 2003 to make today's Conservative Party of Canada).

So it would see ReformUK become the main opposition to Labour as the Brexit Party briefly overtook May's Tories to be the main right of centre party here in Spring 2019. See also Italy where Lega overtook Forza Italia as the main party of the right or France where at presidential level Le Pen's populist right party became the main opposition to Macron's liberal En Marche party (though that may reverse this year if Pecresse gets to the runoff with Macron)
  • Roger said:

Shocking story coming out of Afghanistan. Only 3% of the population living above the poverty line. They are in serious danger of starvation. The UK government have a serious responsibility for whats going on. A good opportunity for Johnson to change the habit of a lifetime and try to do some good.

Is that relative or absolute poverty? Makes a mockery of the word poverty to have it chopped and changed like that.

In my humble opinion we should wash our hands of Afghanistan and have absolutely no responsibility for the nation and absolutely no aid should be going there. We tried to be responsible for them, they rejected us an installed the Taliban instead.

Let the Taliban take responsibility. You don't get to reject our help then say "but keep sending us money and food".
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Roger said:

Is that relative or absolute poverty? Makes a mockery of the word poverty to have it chopped and changed like that.

In my humble opinion we should wash our hands of Afghanistan and have absolutely no responsibility for the nation and absolutely no aid should be going there. We tried to be responsible for them, they rejected us an installed the Taliban instead.

Let the Taliban take responsibility. You don't get to reject our help then say "but keep sending us money and food".
    Um they didn't install the Taliban - we left rather than fight the Taliban...
    PMQs remains difficult. Same question, same non answer. Hard to find a new angle, but you can’t let it go. Maybe asking about the call with Putin.
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Even Tory members don't rate Priti.......

She's a hanger a flogger and a drowner of refugees...

What's not to like?
  • HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

I take it that you are still in full support of the Liar? That there need be no basic standards of behaviour in public life?
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

What's not to like?
    Of all the front benchers she looked most uncomfortable with Boris yesterday. Maybe she could be the one to break ranks.
    edited February 2022

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

My big fear is that Xi makes a play for Taiwan at the same time - i.e. during the Olympics. The US, UK and allies will not be able to put substantial aid to both Ukraine and Taiwan, and China will have lots of hostages guests staying for the Olympics.

A Xi invasion of Taiwan could be
    coordinated with a Putin invasion of Ukraine.

It makes sense for them as they know the West will not go to war to defend Ukraine or Taiwan, only a NATO nation, South Korea or Japan.

Yougov finds meanwhile a majority of Germans and a plurality of voters in most other NATO nations oppose going to war with Russia if it invades Ukraine. Only a plurality of Americans and Danes favour going to war with Russia over the Ukraine but even then only 38% of Danes and 35% of Russians back war. Britons are split

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1488111850017406976?s=20&t=eh6ET0EsIAeXxNtKWoTyaQ
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,998
    Nigelb said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Yes, it's cowardice mixed with stupidity.
    On Cyclefree's Macbeth theme, they are letting 'I dare not' wait upon 'I would'.
    They dearly want him gone but are equally dearly hoping that other MPs write the necessary letters.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Roger said:

Yes, they are all relatively poor in that they have slightly smaller oled tvs than their neighbours

You are as self parodic as HYUFD

Roger said:

Is that relative or absolute poverty? Makes a mockery of the word poverty to have it chopped and changed like that...
    The reported rates of malnutrition and severe malnutrition make a mockery of that question.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Jonathan said:

PMQs remains difficult. Same question, same non answer. Hard to find a new angle, but you can’t let it go. Maybe asking about the call with Putin.

Will Boris be at PMQs tomorrow it seems unlikely given that he is in the Ukraine today.
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

A Xi invasion of Taiwan could be
    coordinated with a Putin invasion of Ukraine.

It makes sense for them as they know the West will not go to war to defend Ukraine or Taiwan, only a NATO nation, South Korea or Japan.

Yougov finds meanwhile a majority of Germans and a plurality of voters in most other NATO nations oppose going to war with Russia if it invades Ukraine. Only a plurality of Americans and Danes favour going to war with Russia over the Ukraine but even then only 38% of Danes and 35% of Russians back war. Britons are split

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1488111850017406976?s=20&t=eh6ET0EsIAeXxNtKWoTyaQ
    Sorry, only 38% of Danes and 35% of Americans back war.
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

What's not to like?
    Of all the front benchers she looked most uncomfortable with Boris yesterday. Maybe she could be the one to break ranks.
    My thoughts too. I put it down to trying to back her horse both ways. If Johnson goes so does she. But if she sparks a leadership contest she might get another job.

On the other hand maybe she's discovered religion and doesn't want to be tethered to a debauched pig?
    Roger said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

What's not to like?
    My thoughts too. I put it down to trying to back her horse both ways. If Johnson goes so does she. But if she sparks a leadership contest she might get another job.

On the other hand maybe she's discovered religion and doesn't want to be tethered to a debauched pig?
    She already has, Patel is a practicing Hindu
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553
    edited February 2022
    Boris delendus est.

For the good of the country and the Conservative Party if it wants to exist for the long term.
  • eek said:

Jonathan said:

Will Boris be at PMQs tomorrow it seems unlikely given that he is in the Ukraine today.
    We know when he is under pressure Boris likes to hide somewhere pretty cold.....
    Dominic Raab being skewered about Jimmy Saville comment by Nick Robinson. But something tells me he's enjoying it
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

JBriskin3 said:

The hope is a very faint one indeed.

But I would like Boris, Priti and Cressida Dick gone from public life.

This discussion has been closed.