Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New revelations lead to Johnson 2022 exit a 77% betting chance – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    "Excellent natural immunity confirmed" — Dr John Campbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25-iJKPA1CA
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

NASDAQ taking a further hammering today.

Not as bad as the European markets including London. But, then, they are not facing the largest war since Gulf War 1 on their doorstep with millions of refugees fleeing into western Europe. are they?
    But the UK is obsessed about parties
    That is as stupid as saying the Huhne case was just about speeding. You may not mind being governed by a liar, but there are valid objections to it
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Oh FFS. I suppose he can genuinely say that he did not know about this party because it was a surprise. And, in the real world you have 30 people working in the cabinet room for an hour or two and then his wife brings in a cake. I am struggling to see the risk here. But the drip, drip, drip is just making him look ridiculous.

Yes it is ridiculous. But the man we must assume is behind it is refusing to be interviewed and is playing his own games with the investigation and with us.

And this is making me really annoyed. The investigation is not there to dance to the tune of Cummings or anyone else. It's not there so he can have his vendettas against the PM or his wife or anyone else. It's not there to be held hostage to his vanity and sense of self-entitlement.

I'd be half inclined to call a halt to it and say that, in order to be fair to all concerned, she's referring the evidence collected to the police so that they can take it further as they have powers to obtain evidence and interviews she does not have.

Where there is sufficient evidence for disciplinary proceedings short of criminal action she will assist the relevant HR departments in the normal way.
    Armchair expertise. in the real world, Gray has no power to compel witnesses; there is no protocol which says that oral evidence is to be preferred to written; as far as we know (and we have only heard from Cummings) she has come to an agreement with him that his evidence should be written; should that not be the case, she will no doubt say so in her report.

As she can only take statements (not have exams in chief/cross exams by Counsel) the written vs oral distinction is absolutely irrelevant here.
    Armchair expertise?

You're describing yourself I imagine.

Because I'm afraid - and at the risk of being called patronising again and on the basis of my experience in the real world of investigations - on this topic you give the impression you have no idea what you are talking about. Investigations are not like Commercial Court litigation, as you seem to think. It is perfectly possible for a good trained investigator to do an interview without the need for examination in chief, cross-examination etc, it is not good practice to accept written evidence without an interview and if someone external is prepared to co-operate they should do so properly.

Cummings cannot be compelled. Though it would be interesting to see whether he is under any ongoing contractual obligation to assist his former employer under the terms of his departure, a clause I have often seen in departure agreements. But he can be criticised for the way he is responding. And I do. He is undermining the investigation though doubtless she is doing her best given the terms of reference and the pressure she will be under.
    If I was being asked to support this investigation after leaving my reaction would be the same as Mr Cummings, I would want a paper trail to ensure I wasn’t intentional misinterpreted
    There are ways of doing this while still doing a face to face interview.

The problem here is that Cummings appears to want to control matters. He can't. And he shouldn't be allowed to.
    The other problem is that Sue Gray is an employee of a company whose manager I don’t trust nor like and who has shall we say a reputation of protecting number 1 screw anyone or anything else - including Mrs Gray.

In those circumstances I would be doing very little beyond answering exactly what was being asked and directing her as to where the evidence should be and if the emails don’t exist anymore that isn’t my / Mr Cummings fault as they should be being archived for multiple reasons.
    Are you suggesting Boris would screw Mrs Gray?
    Now that would be a story. Entirely believable too.
    Boris has already screwed the rest of us, why should she get special treatment?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689
    tlg86 said:

DavidL said:

I like this for the tag Tories That Are Helping as much as anything.

That is seriously funny in a morbid sort of way.
    We all lie for about eight hours a night.
    ;)
    Not in insomnia club we don't! The first rule of insomnia club is that no argument is over until the sun rises.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Not as bad as the European markets including London. But, then, they are not facing the largest war since Gulf War 1 on their doorstep with millions of refugees fleeing into western Europe. are they?
    That is as stupid as saying the Huhne case was just about speeding. You may not mind being governed by a liar, but there are valid objections to it
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Oh FFS. I suppose he can genuinely say that he did not know about this party because it was a surprise. And, in the real world you have 30 people working in the cabinet room for an hour or two and then his wife brings in a cake. I am struggling to see the risk here. But the drip, drip, drip is just making him look ridiculous.

Yes it is ridiculous. But the man we must assume is behind it is refusing to be interviewed and is playing his own games with the investigation and with us.

And this is making me really annoyed. The investigation is not there to dance to the tune of Cummings or anyone else. It's not there so he can have his vendettas against the PM or his wife or anyone else. It's not there to be held hostage to his vanity and sense of self-entitlement.

I'd be half inclined to call a halt to it and say that, in order to be fair to all concerned, she's referring the evidence collected to the police so that they can take it further as they have powers to obtain evidence and interviews she does not have.

Where there is sufficient evidence for disciplinary proceedings short of criminal action she will assist the relevant HR departments in the normal way.
    Armchair expertise. in the real world, Gray has no power to compel witnesses; there is no protocol which says that oral evidence is to be preferred to written; as far as we know (and we have only heard from Cummings) she has come to an agreement with him that his evidence should be written; should that not be the case, she will no doubt say so in her report.

As she can only take statements (not have exams in chief/cross exams by Counsel) the written vs oral distinction is absolutely irrelevant here.
    Armchair expertise?

Because I'm afraid - and at the risk of being called patronising again and on the basis of my experience in the real world of investigations - on this topic you give the impression you have no idea what you are talking about. Investigations are not like Commercial Court litigation, as you seem to think. It is perfectly possible for a good trained investigator to do an interview without the need for examination in chief, cross-examination etc, it is not good practice to accept written evidence without an interview and if someone external is prepared to co-operate they should do so properly.

Cummings cannot be compelled. Though it would be interesting to see whether he is under any ongoing contractual obligation to assist his former employer under the terms of his departure, a clause I have often seen in departure agreements. But he can be criticised for the way he is responding. And I do. He is undermining the investigation though doubtless she is doing her best given the terms of reference and the pressure she will be under.
    If I was being asked to support this investigation after leaving my reaction would be the same as Mr Cummings, I would want a paper trail to ensure I wasn’t intentional misinterpreted

The problem here is that Cummings appears to want to control matters. He can't. And he shouldn't be allowed to.
    Off Topic

@Cyclefree

Talking of controlling matters, have you seen the story in the Guardian about Dr Konstancja Duff. Another humdinger of an arrest and strip search at the notorious Stoke Newington nick, oh and the subsequent failed prosecution and civil action between the Professor and the Met.

Little sympathy on here I would wager. She looks a bit "Me too, woke".
  • Options

I'm reviewing the situation
    I'm a bad 'un and a bad 'un I shall stay!
    You'll be seeing no transformation
    But it's wrong to be a rogue in ev'ry way
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543
    edited January 2022
    I suspect Agnew's resignation due to the inadequate measures to check the validity of bounce back loans or to chase down fraud may harm Sunak. The Treasury's implementation of the scheme has been inadequate, and although civil servants may take the blame Sunak has ultimate responsibility. I know it's quite a lot of words, but here is what the National Audit Office concluded in December 21:

Report conclusions
    To achieve the policy intention of supporting small businesses quickly during the pandemic, the government prioritised payment speed over almost all other aspects of value for money. The Scheme facilitated faster lending by removing credit and affordability checks and allowing businesses to self-certify their application documents. As the Scheme progressed, it continued to rely on businesses self- certifying their application details, even as the urgent need for finance reduced. Government ruled out options for additional upfront counter-fraud measures when the Scheme was extended. The impact of prioritising speed is apparent in the high levels of estimated fraud. Counter-fraud activity was implemented too slowly to prevent fraud effectively and the Department’s focus is now on detection and recovery of fraudulent loans.

The Department needs to improve upon its identification, quantification, and recovery of fraudulent loans within the Scheme. Compared with the scale of its ‘most likely’ estimate of £4.9 billion of fraudulent loans, both the £32 million additional budget for counter-fraud operations, and its target to recover at least £6 million of fraudulent loans from organised crime, are inadequate. The Department has given low priority to tackling ‘bottom-tier’ fraud, including those loans where borrowers misstated turnover by less than 25%, owing to resource constraints. It expects lenders to focus on this fraud tier, but they have limited commercial incentives to do so.

That's pretty damning. I expect Rachel Reeves to be all over this in the coming days. Parties will get the headlines, but this could also be damaging -Tories don't like wasting taxpayers' money.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    Excl: Sajid Javid is set to be questioned by Whitehall probe into Nus Ghani claims about her sacking.

Ghani privately confided in Javid shortly after alleged conversation with Chief Whip following Feb 2020 reshuffle, Telegraph has learned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/24/sajid-javid-set-face-questions-nusrat-ghani-muslimness-sacking/
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    eek said:

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Armchair expertise?

The other problem is that Sue Gray is an employee of a company whose manager I don’t trust nor like and who has shall we say a reputation of protecting number 1 screw anyone or anything else - including Mrs Gray.

In those circumstances I would be doing very little beyond answering exactly what was being asked and directing her as to where the evidence should be and if the emails don’t exist anymore that isn’t my / Mr Cummings fault as they should be being archived for multiple reasons.
    Are you suggesting Boris would screw Mrs Gray?
    Now that would be a story. Entirely believable too.
    Boris will stamp on anyone and anything that gets in the way of him staying in No 10. You only have to look at the protect big dog story to see that anyone is fair game if removing them keeps Boris in No 10 for a few more days / minutes.

I'm beginning to wonder that he really has finally had it now, actually. The reports tonight that his allies are now genuinely worried about losing a vote of no confidence sound quite plausible, to me.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Omnium said:

Whatever the fate of Boris in all this I find myself quite uncomfortable with Cummings being able to pursue a personal agenda facilitated by the press. Not at all sure what one can do about that, but the media certainly should be considering whether they're acting wisely in giving him the platform.

I've nothing against Cummings - he seems a bit mad, but certainly has interesting ideas. He gets one vote - so do I.

Cummings is not co-operating properly with the investigation by refusing to be interviewed. It is contemptuous on his part and self-entitled and wrong.

The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

The PM owes voters an explanation. But advisors, civil servants and those with relevant evidence also owe us an obligation to co-operate fully with the investigation. That includes Cummings as well. His refusal to do so should be a bigger issue than it is. He is playing us for fools in the same way as his former boss.
    Yes, if he is worried about being misquoted etc, ask to be interviewed in the presence of a representative, and/or have it recorded. Either is standard when Investigating.
    Well, I am sure SG knows even more about investigations, than an NHS consultant does. Either she is happy with her arrangement with Cummings, or she isn't and will say so.
    I am thinking of my time working as an agent of the National Clinical Assessment Service, on various forms of medical misbehaviour. Much of which potentially involved suspensions or termination, with risks running into millions of pounds, and tremendous reputation allows damage.

We shall see if her report stands scrutiny shortly enough, I suppose. Publishing a heavily redacted version will just be chucking fuel on the fire.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    edited January 2022

I suspect Agnew's resignation due to the inadequate measures to check the validity of bounce back loans or to chase down fraud may harm Sunak. The Treasury's implementation of the scheme has been inadequate, and although civil servants may take the blame Sunak has ultimate responsibility. I know it's quite a lot of words, but here is what the National Audit Office concluded in December 21:

Report conclusions
    To achieve the policy intention of supporting small businesses quickly during the pandemic, the government prioritised payment speed over almost all other aspects of value for money. The Scheme facilitated faster lending by removing credit and affordability checks and allowing businesses to self-certify their application documents. As the Scheme progressed, it continued to rely on businesses self- certifying their application details, even as the urgent need for finance reduced. Government ruled out options for additional upfront counter-fraud measures when the Scheme was extended. The impact of prioritising speed is apparent in the high levels of estimated fraud. Counter-fraud activity was implemented too slowly to prevent fraud effectively and the Department’s focus is now on detection and recovery of fraudulent loans.

The Department needs to improve upon its identification, quantification, and recovery of fraudulent loans within the Scheme. Compared with the scale of its ‘most likely’ estimate of £4.9 billion of fraudulent loans, both the £32 million additional budget for counter-fraud operations, and its target to recover at least £6 million of fraudulent loans from organised crime, are inadequate. The Department has given low priority to tackling ‘bottom-tier’ fraud, including those loans where borrowers misstated turnover by less than 25%, owing to resource constraints. It expects lenders to focus on this fraud tier, but they have limited commercial incentives to do so.

That's pretty damning. I expect Rachel Reeves to be all over this in the coming days. Parties will get the headlines, but this could also be damaging -Tories don't like wasting taxpayers' money.

That should be even more newsworthy than parties. It’s about £73 for every person in the UK!
    Lay Sunak!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Excl: Sajid Javid is set to be questioned by Whitehall probe into Nus Ghani claims about her sacking.

Ghani privately confided in Javid shortly after alleged conversation with Chief Whip following Feb 2020 reshuffle, Telegraph has learned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/01/24/sajid-javid-set-face-questions-nusrat-ghani-muslimness-sacking/

Without witnesses or recordings, I don't see how an investigation into this can proceed. What possible coroberation can there be?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423
    Scott_xP said:

In which case he hasn’t said much publicly even though a back bencher himself, and yesterday said she had to fill a form in to get it investigated by the party. 😕
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684

Believe it or not, he was the Tory candidate who came closest to winning Birmingham Erdington for the Conservatives in 1983 when he lost by just 231 votes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Without witnesses or recordings, I don't see how an investigation into this can proceed. What possible coroberation can there be?
    Knowing this shower of shite there's probably an email saying 'Sack that Paki woman.'
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Omnium said:

Whatever the fate of Boris in all this I find myself quite uncomfortable with Cummings being able to pursue a personal agenda facilitated by the press. Not at all sure what one can do about that, but the media certainly should be considering whether they're acting wisely in giving him the platform.

I've nothing against Cummings - he seems a bit mad, but certainly has interesting ideas. He gets one vote - so do I.

Cummings is not co-operating properly with the investigation by refusing to be interviewed. It is contemptuous on his part and self-entitled and wrong.

The more I think about it, the angrier I get.

The PM owes voters an explanation. But advisors, civil servants and those with relevant evidence also owe us an obligation to co-operate fully with the investigation. That includes Cummings as well. His refusal to do so should be a bigger issue than it is. He is playing us for fools in the same way as his former boss.
    Yes, if he is worried about being misquoted etc, ask to be interviewed in the presence of a representative, and/or have it recorded. Either is standard when Investigating.
    Well, I am sure SG knows even more about investigations, than an NHS consultant does. Either she is happy with her arrangement with Cummings, or she isn't and will say so.
    I am thinking of my time working as an agent of the National Clinical Assessment Service, on various forms of medical misbehaviour. Much of which potentially involved suspensions or termination, with risks running into millions of pounds, and tremendous reputation allows damage.

We shall see if her report stands scrutiny shortly enough, I suppose. Publishing a heavily redacted version will just be chucking fuel on the fire.
    Having no experience of this myself, which in your (and cyclefree's) view is better?

1) Heavily redacted full report (junior staff personal details etc)
    2) A detailed summary, with the full report kept confidential

I have a weird fascination with FOI responses and the inconsistent approach to this. Fun reading between the lines.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Knowing this shower of shite there's probably an email saying 'Sack that Paki woman.'
    And you rejoined this shower??
  • Options

Report conclusions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738735/Fraud-blunders-Covid-support-schemes-cost-taxpayers-30bn-MPs-warn.html

The Treasury "appears to have no knowledge or little interest in the consequences of fraud to our economy or our society", said Lord Agnew, resigning today at dispatch box.

Think how much tax can be cut with that 🤑 though there is also option to use it on hospital, schools or defence.

This was always going to become a story at some point - awful time for Rishi if it becomes a story right now. It’s currently keeping Boris latest party revelation off the top of the Sky page headlines. 😕

And there’s more to come, as this has yet to grow into a big story too, though it’s day will come?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/22/fifth-of-uk-covid-contracts-raised-red-flags-for-possible-corruption

Will be interesting to observe if pro Boris media go after Sunak as a means of helping Boris position…

From a political betting point of view there is just too much going on at once!
  • Options

Report conclusions

That should be even more newsworthy than parties. It’s about £73 for every person in the UK!
    Lay Sunak!
    I suspect it's a lot more than £73 per person, because the Treasury estimate of £4.9 billion is likely to prove ridiculously low. That's certainly what the full NAO report hints at.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

To try and ensure another a sensible Tory becomes leader, not another moonbat person.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389
    edited January 2022
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I really don'y know why back benchers don't record all conversations with Whips/Ministers as a matter of course, especially Tory ones.
  • Options
    True this.

• Options

Report conclusions

I got a bounce back loan for my Private Practice, which was effectively suspended for 6 months. It took about 15 minutes and was completely self certified to get a generous 5 figure interest free loan for a year. I shall pay it off next month, as I am fairly flush now. Mine was legit, but I can see it was way open to fraud, and easy to extend the term.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Report conclusions

Reeves is going to fight against being one of the useless spend-monkeys like Brown. I suspect it'll just be a token thing though.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

Report conclusions

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738735/Fraud-blunders-Covid-support-schemes-cost-taxpayers-30bn-MPs-warn.html

The Treasury "appears to have no knowledge or little interest in the consequences of fraud to our economy or our society", said Lord Agnew, resigning today at dispatch box.

Think how much tax can be cut with that 🤑 though there is also option to use it on hospital, schools or defence.

This was always going to become a story at some point - awful time for Rishi if it becomes a story right now. It’s currently keeping Boris latest party revelation off the top of the Sky page headlines. 😕

And there’s more to come, as this has yet to grow into a big story too, though it’s day will come?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/22/fifth-of-uk-covid-contracts-raised-red-flags-for-possible-corruption

Will be interesting to observe if pro Boris media go after Sunak as a means of helping Boris position…

Relative to the amount of money spent on track and trace / furlough it’s small beer and it kept a lot of businesses going that might otherwise have died.

Yes more should be being done about fraud but Lord Agnew seems to be complaining that someone didn’t do the work he seems to have been responsible for
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    Foxy said:

Report conclusions

I got a bounce back loan for my Private Practice, which was effectively suspended for 6 months. It took about 15 minutes and was completely self certified to get a generous 5 figure interest free loan for a year. I shall pay it off next month, as I am fairly flush now. Mine was legit, but I can see it was way open to fraud, and easy to extend the term.

Did you spend it on a party?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Corroboration. It isn't required in English law outwith a limited set of circumstances. A jury can convict on the evidence of one adult saying "I saw x do y."
  • Options

Report conclusions

Lay Sunak!
    I suspect it's a lot more than £73 per person, because the Treasury estimate of £4.9 billion is likely to prove ridiculously low. That's certainly what the full NAO report hints at.
    Quite apart from the fraud, how many legit loans will not be repaid when businesses go broke?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Believe it or not, he was the Tory candidate who came closest to winning Birmingham Erdington for the Conservatives in 1983 when he lost by just 231 votes.
    I knew I could depend on PB!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

To try and ensure another a sensible Tory becomes leader, not another moonbat person.
    So who of the candidates would you like?

Not quite the same question as who would you bet on, of course.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Tim (formerly of this Parish) sums it up perfectly here

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist
    ·
    21s
    The only time he didn't have a party was when he was on a ventilator

Was he on a ventilator? Seems unlikely.
    HiFlo or CPAP I reckon. If ventilated for covid it is usually a couple of weeks.
    That was my supposition, but people seem keen to bandy the idea that he was (a) near death and (b) ventilated. On the latter, it maybe not appreciating the difference.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Andy_JS said:

Although as Maggie would have put it, that was 14,000 votes for her, 699 for him
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Foxy said:

Report conclusions

Did you spend it on a party?
    I paid my secretary for 6 months as she wasn't eligible for furlough. Some went on my Corporation tax bill too. The reason that I am flush now is this year's tax bill is negligible. The joys of paying 8 months in arrears.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The realm’s most popular heir to a baronetcy comes to mind. ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Hunt, Ellwood, Tugendhat, and Bell.

Nobody from this cabinet which in future will be spoken with the same disdain as the Vichy Government.
    TSE of course speaking as one of those key swing voters who voted Tory in 2010 and 2015 but LD in 2019 as they hated Brexit but loved austerity!! No better sage than TSE for Tories to keep the redwall
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    These Young Tories on ITV News are LOL scarcely believable stereotypes
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Nobody from this cabinet which in future will be spoken with the same disdain as the Vichy Government.
    “ Nobody from this cabinet which in future will be spoken with the same disdain as the Vichy Government. “.

You are beginning to sound like someone on a messianic mission Eagles 😦
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

TSE of course speaking as one of those key swing voters who voted Tory in 2010 and 2015 but LD in 2019 as they hated Brexit but loved austerity!!
    You really are full of shit, I've told you many times, I live in a constituency where the Tories are nowhere, and I ended up with an appalling Corbynista as Labour candidate then MP, I voted tactically to stop the Corbynites.

Brexit nor austerity had anything to do with it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

The realm’s most popular heir to a baronetcy comes to mind. ;)
    That dream died years ago.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    edited January 2022
    Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    Former cabinet minister tells me majority of MPs want PM to get a grip, but it becoming harder as chaos consumes No 10 w no sign of stabilisation. But, PM helped by no obvious successor, which creates some inertia. That said, the attrition needs to stop. Move in 10
    @SkyNews
    2/

https://twitter.com/BethRigby
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

You say that, but I bet there will be some faces sticking around if Boris goes, there have the be some place fillers. The Scottish and Welsh secretaries will probably be fine, continuity in the provinces as Truss might say.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

TSE of course speaking as one of those key swing voters who voted Tory in 2010 and 2015 but LD in 2019 as they hated Brexit but loved austerity!!
    You really are full of shit, I've told you many times, I live in a constituency where the Tories are nowhere, and I ended up with an appalling Corbynista as Labour candidate then MP, I voted tactically to stop the Corbynites.

You managed to vote Tory in the same seat in 2010 and 2015 without any problem when Dave and George were the party leadership
  • Options

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    Former cabinet minister tells me majority of MPs want PM to get a grip, but it becoming harder as chaos consumes No 10 w no sign of stabilisation. But, PM helped by no obvious successor, which creates some inertia. That said, the attrition needs to stop. Move in 10
    @SkyNews
    2/

He’s going nowhere.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

You managed to vote Tory in the same seat in 2010 and 2015 without any problem when Dave and George were the party leadership
    I didn't live in Sheffield Hallam in 2010, so you're wrong again.
  • Options

True this.

Is that a photo of two young interns in the No 10 garden during lockdown?

• Options

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    @SkyNews
    2/

Actually Rigby has this right on this occasion

It all comes down to Sue Gray and these latest allegations are known to her

The complicating factor for conservative mps is this Ukraine crisis and changing their leader just now

I expect Boris to squeak through but is far from safe and much will no doubt depend on May's locals
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

You say that, but I bet there will be some faces sticking around if Boris goes, there have the be some place fillers. The Scottish and Welsh secretaries will probably be fine, continuity in the provinces as Truss might say.
    Well MacArthur let Hirohito and others remain in office after the end of WWII, mostly as figureheads.
  • Options
    eek said:

Report conclusions

Relative to the amount of money spent on track and trace / furlough it’s small beer and it kept a lot of businesses going that might otherwise have died.

Yes more should be being done about fraud but Lord Agnew seems to be complaining that someone didn’t do the work he seems to have been responsible for
    What were the test and trace costs, none of it really fraud though?
  • Options

eek said:

Report conclusions

What were the test and trace costs, none of it really fraud though?
    Somewhere near 40 billion I believe
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Corroboration. It isn't required in English law outwith a limited set of circumstances. A jury can convict on the evidence of one adult saying "I saw x do y."
    "A creature that gestates inside a human host - these are your words - and has concentrated acid for blood."
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Well MacArthur let Hirohito and others remain in office after the end of WWII, mostly as figureheads.
    You don’t like Rishi or Liz or Sunak?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    dixiedean said:

darkage said:

I've finally got covid, just done a positive LFT test.
    Went to cancel my advance train ticket for tomorrow, and found that such train tickets are no longer refundable on the grounds of Covid.
    The thing is that I would have gone on my trip had it not been for the self isolation rules which as a good citizen I am following. I am not particularly ill, at the moment.
    If this 'self isolation' is going to continue, people need proper compensation for consequential losses. Otherwise people will just stop following the rules, unless they have an incentive to, ie they have a job they dislike and qualify for fully paid sick leave.

Best of British, friend. May you continue to not be ill.
    And yes, you are right.
    Cheers. At the moment its just a mild flu, would normally have just tried to carry on as normal and take lemsip every few hours etc. But having had the positive test result and being forced to isolate in the living room, its all suddenly come in to focus.

Quite a moment when the second line came up on the LFT test after all this time.
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    3m
    I: Johnson’s problems grow with birthday party leak #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://twitter.com/hendopolis
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi is Sunak !!!!!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Today's Redfield and Wilton would seem to point to SKS having peaked at 11.59 am last Wednesday as forecast by me 15 mins later.

SKS fans please explain why not.

You’re probably the guy that said Blair had peaked in 1995.
    Nope he peaked in 1997 but unlike him SKSWNBPM
    You are weirdly obsessed with Sir Keir Starmer.

It really is very odd.
  • Options
    A totally disinterested acquaintenace texts me this story as a must read for anyone on Boris Johnson's departure.

In short, the Tory Party shop stewards are also the assassins.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/24/1922-coup-members-tory-partys-influential-group-mobilising-against/
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't think that I will be voting Tory again, at least not in the foreseeable future, but those would be a step in the right direction.
  • Options

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    @SkyNews
    2/

The complicating factor for conservative mps is this Ukraine crisis and changing their leader just now

I expect Boris to squeak through but is far from safe and much will no doubt depend on May's locals
    Ukraine will save Johnson I think.

At least of all the cabinet who might be involved in war planning Wallace seems up to the job.

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I didn't live in Sheffield Hallam in 2010, so you're wrong again.
    You did in 2015 then
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't think that I will be voting Tory again, at least not in the foreseeable future, but those would be a step in the right direction.
    As a matter of interest, when was the last time you voted Tory at a general election?
  • Options

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    21m
    I had a much-curtailed birthday party in the garden at the end of July 2020. Few friends. Everyone careful not to go in the house.
    Doing as we were told. As a journalist, I couldn’t risk doing anything else.

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1485736275479044097
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

As a matter of interest, when was the last time you voted Tory at a general election?

I have voted in every GE since 1983, this was the only Conservative vote.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

• Options

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Armchair expertise?

Off Topic

@Cyclefree

Talking of controlling matters, have you seen the story in the Guardian about Dr Konstancja Duff. Another humdinger of an arrest and strip search at the notorious Stoke Newington nick, oh and the subsequent failed prosecution and civil action between the Professor and the Met.

Interesting story. As someone who was subjected to a vaguely similar ordeal by the police 20 years ago I've got a lot of sympathy for her and the fact that she fought this out for years and eventually won.

However, I can also see that it really isn't a good idea for members of the public to obstruct police actions. You can't ever know what you are getting in to.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    I don't know whether this has been mentioned yet, but the last time a senior politician called Agnew resigned his leader followed shortly.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited January 2022
    It’s offtopic but it’s worth posting as usually it’s the country nearby that is more willing to reveal reality.

Brexit is going well and this is January when traffic is at its lowest
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi is Sunak !!!!!
    There are two Rishi Sunaks.

One is chancellor of the exchequer and is raising NI and doing nothing about the energy crisis.

The other, who appears every so often, is a Thatcherite tax cutting uber mensch who has no idea why the tax burden is so high.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    edited January 2022
    darkage said:

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

I've finally got covid, just done a positive LFT test.
    Went to cancel my advance train ticket for tomorrow, and found that such train tickets are no longer refundable on the grounds of Covid.
    The thing is that I would have gone on my trip had it not been for the self isolation rules which as a good citizen I am following. I am not particularly ill, at the moment.
    If this 'self isolation' is going to continue, people need proper compensation for consequential losses. Otherwise people will just stop following the rules, unless they have an incentive to, ie they have a job they dislike and qualify for fully paid sick leave.

Best of British, friend. May you continue to not be ill.
    And yes, you are right.
    Cheers. At the moment its just a mild flu, would normally have just tried to carry on as normal and take lemsip every few hours etc. But having had the positive test result and being forced to isolate in the living room, its all suddenly come in to focus.

Quite a moment when the second line came up on the LFT test after all this time.
    Yeah. It's a bit of a stunner isn't it?
    Take care. And beware. For a while you'll think you're completely better. Then have a wobbly few hours where you need to kip.
    If you're owt like me that is.
    Take it easy for a bit.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Summary executions or at least the pretence of trials?
  • Options

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    @SkyNews
    2/

At least of all the cabinet who might be involved in war planning Wallace seems up to the job.

That assumes that Ukraine will go well. I can't say I am too confident about that.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

"A creature that gestates inside a human host - these are your words - and has concentrated acid for blood."
    Are you saying there are colonists on LV426?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Well at least you have not never voted Tory, albeit you did not vote Tory in 2015 and 2019 when the Tories won majorities
  • Options
    Buckets of shit being poured over Johnson tonight from across tory party as nick watt is reporting for newsnight.
  • Options
    Redraft for Sue Gray?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Armchair expertise?

Off Topic

@Cyclefree

Interesting story. As someone who was subjected to a vaguely similar ordeal by the police 20 years ago I've got a lot of sympathy for her and the fact that she fought this out for years and eventually won.

However, I can also see that it really isn't a good idea for members of the public to obstruct police actions. You can't ever know what you are getting in to.
    It is a horrible story.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/24/met-apologises-to-academic-for-sexist-derogatory-language
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Talking of setting fire to money with little to no return...are they going to have to ask for the money back?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10437119/Spotify-takes-Sussexes-podcasts-hands-Streaming-giant-hiring-producers-project.html
  • Options

Allison Pearson
    @AllisonPearson
    ·
    21m
    I had a much-curtailed birthday party in the garden at the end of July 2020. Few friends. Everyone careful not to go in the house.
    Doing as we were told. As a journalist, I couldn’t risk doing anything else.

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1485736275479044097

No 10 claim the same thing under the rule of 6 which included your household bubble and children under 12 could attend and not count in the numbers

I remember this because my family came and visited us in our garden at the time
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Before I get the Third Degree.
    I have never voted Conservative at a General Election.
    I think I count as not a real Tory. Like every bugger else bar one apparently.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    eek said:

It’s offtopic but it’s worth posting as usually it’s the country nearby that is more willing to reveal reality.

Is it naive of me to think, great, less traffic on the roads, and better for environment?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    @SkyNews
    2/

That assumes that Ukraine will go well. I can't say I am too confident about that.
    No. But I meant it is far more important and no one in tory backbench would replace Johnson just as war breaks out.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Today's Redfield and Wilton would seem to point to SKS having peaked at 11.59 am last Wednesday as forecast by me 15 mins later.

SKS fans please explain why not.

You’re probably the guy that said Blair had peaked in 1995.
    Nope he peaked in 1997 but unlike him SKSWNBPM
    You are weirdly obsessed with Sir Keir Starmer.

It really is very odd.
    He is still angry that the old bloke who looked like a tramp and only scraped two Es at A level couldn't manage to beat a complete clown like Boris Johnson
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Well at least you have not never voted Tory, albeit you did not vote Tory in 2015 and 2019 when the Tories won majorities
    I've never voted Tory. Does that mean I'm cancelled?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I have never voted Labour at a General Election, so neither of us are swing voters.

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

As a lifelong opponent to the death penalty I stick to my principles.

I'd make them all have to spend the rest of their lives living on universal credit in a council house in the Red Wall.

Except for Jacob Rees-Mogg, I'd make him live in a particularly rough area of Glasgow or be the bitch of Douglas Ross for the rest of his life.

(Apologies if that last bit gives you nightmares.)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    eek said:

I get the logic of that, but is that really a thing? Irrespective of that example I doubt the reports of British papers on Ireland or France are generally considered more reliable than in the home countries.

And who knows what Russian papers say about the Ukraine? :)
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Likewise. I actually voted Tory from 1992 (my first GE) up to and including 2010. I don't see that happening again unless and until something dramatic happens.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Do the executions have to wait until the summer? Can't we do them a bit sooner?
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

I've never voted Tory. Does that mean I'm cancelled?
    No, though I think the closest thing we have on PB to a swing voter is BigG. Voted Labour for Blair in 1997 and 2001 and has voted Tory since but not keen on Boris
  • Options
    darkage said:

Beth Rigby
    @BethRigby
    ·
    22m
    @SkyNews
    2/

I don't think it will end well for anyone, especially Ukraine and Russia.
  • Options

• Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi is Sunak !!!!!

One is chancellor of the exchequer and is raising NI and doing nothing about the energy crisis.

The other, who appears every so often, is a Thatcherite tax cutting uber mensch who has no idea why the tax burden is so high.
    Rishi is letting it be known the NI increase was Boris and now the entire cabinet opposes it

I expect it will go, as a package of support to many for the energy crisis will come at the same time
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 783
    The discussion on Boris having his decorator in for his birthday party in June got me thinking. I moved during Restrictions (when I was allowed to do so) into what was then a pretty scabby flat. Before lockdown we had booked new carpets to be fitted, which was obviously then delayed. Looking back, on the day BJ was celebrating his party, I was toiling away, ripping up carpets, for our appointment the following week, incidentally the first such appointment. So how was Boris's decorator allowed to be in number 10?
  • Options
    He's lost the Sun.
  • Options

eek said:

Is it naive of me to think, great, less traffic on the roads, and better for environment?
    Let’s hope those hgvs queueing outside Dover aren’t sitting with their engines on.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi is Sunak !!!!!

Rishi is letting it be known the NI increase was Boris and now the entire cabinet opposes it

I expect it will go, as a package of support to many for the energy crisis will come at the same time
    The sensible thing is to pause the NI rise, saying there is a crisis of living and then never ever mention it again.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I have never voted Labour at a General Election, so neither of us are swing voters.

Yes but.
    I haven't always voted Labour either.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited January 2022

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Rishi is Sunak !!!!!

The sensible thing is to pause the NI rise, saying there is a crisis of living and then never ever mention it again.

I expect that to happen but everything is paralysed waiting for Sue Gray

We need the report urgently
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004
    PB community: does anyone use Kochava? (It's a mobile app advertising tracking service. So, I'm guessing no. But you never know.)
This discussion has been closed.