Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hunt now a clear third place in Johnson successor betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Three days after Boris Johnson's staff held a party in Downing Street's basement with a suitcase of wine and a DJ, the Prime Minister posted this video telling the public to maintain their "discipline" in following Covid rules. https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1481985417817862152/video/1
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,548
    edited January 2022

God, I hate middle class wankers who pretend to be working class/poor so they can get a sympathetic hearing/opportunities.

A woman who won a coveted scholarship in the US to study at Oxford after claiming she was poor, overcame childhood abuse and grew up in foster care lost the opportunity after it emerged she was middle-class and went to a $30,000-a-year private school.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/rhodes-scholar-university-of-pennsylvania-loses-place-oxford-b976530.html?amp

You know everything about this individuals experience, or just via the papers?
    The story was probably legalled.
  • Options
    Any hope of some Coop CCTV showing the booze being loaded into the suitcase?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

Mr. Malmesbury, I approve of the Constable Savage reference.

I am quite convinced that Constable Savage, having attained 100% in his Awareness and Sensitivity exams, is out arresting black people for ordering their coffee "Black".

Does that make me a bad person?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

A ridiculous 25/1 with PP.
    Are we past the days of having peers as PMs, in the sense of it being even legally possible? Though Lord Home got himself a safe seat as a MP pdq if I recall the recent discussion here. I'm sure someone could be persuaded to apply to the Chiltern Hundreds if need be, in a nice safe seat.
    Nothing that legally says the PM cannot be in the Lords - although I imagine that there would be no such thing as a safe seat for a by-election these days, if a party tried to force one in such circumstances.
    Halifax turned down PMship in 1940 on account of being a Lord
    Is that so? I'd always assumed Labour wouldn't support him.
    I read a couple of articles that had it as his for taking, but bottled it. He didn’t fancy being a war leader. Didn’t think we could win. Didn’t want to fight. The recent film of Churchill portrayed it like this?
    Is this revisionist history? It’s been revised and is more accurate?
    Labour wanted Halifax and that was the general consensus of the Commons. The King wanted Halifax and was a bit upset when Halifax raised the objection of being a peer and so not able to operate effectively in the House.
    That’s where I disagree with you Rottenborough. I can’t do it because I am a Lord buries the truth and distorts true history which needs to be revised, therefore your favourite history books on your shelf you always thought was history are lying to you and you need to get new ones.
    The truth being “havn’t slept for a week thinking I have to be war PM, I think we should make deal with Germans anyway.”
    The whole point of science is you ask questions. History is a social science, you have to question what you are being told.

Any problem with that?

Here’s my question on this one.
    The problem with the meeting, where Halifax went in as likely PM and Churchill emerged as leader, is that there was only the 3 people there - and should we trust any of their accounts as telling the truth?
    No one really knows how the game is played
    The art of the trade
    How the sausage gets made
    We just assume that it happens
    But no one else is in the room where it happens
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    Andy_JS said:

One of the most distasteful elements (for me) of both the No10 party story and the Djokovic story is the arrogance. Both smack of "rules are for little people". Djokovic clearly thinks he is so important that he can behave by a different set of rules to others and so does Johnson.

That doesn't explain why the Australians clearly gave him the impression he would be able to play despite knowing he wasn't vaccinated.
    Perhaps they assumed he was telling the truth when he stated he had not visited another country in the 14 days before travelling to Australia?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Leon said:

That Guardian long-read on Dom Cummings’ blog, mentioned below, is indeed essential viewing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/14/intoxicating-insidery-and-infuriating-everything-i-learned-about-dominic-cummings-from-his-10-a-month-blog?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It confirms that Cummings is infuriatingly clever and cunning - if you are his enemy

This is superbly bang-on:

“Cummings thinks remainers are invariably fools, above all the better-educated ones, because they are incapable of accepting that they might be wrong. His shorthand for these people is Jolyons (after the remainer lawyer Jolyon Maugham) or, as he says of Keir Starmer, the ones who can’t resist giving “the London idiot answer” to any difficult question because they daren’t think for themselves. When Starmer got himself tangled up over the question of whether “only women have a cervix”, it was, Cummings says, because “he’s a dead player working off a script” – and the voters can smell that a mile off.”

Remainers are invariably fools, ESPECIALLY the posher ones. Absolutely right

The article also contains the brilliant revelation that the only reason Cummings and Boris prorogued parliament was to drive their opponents crazy (it worked), get them to talk about nothing else, until they eventually went so mad they provoked an election

I guess Cummings could be lying, but if it’s true it’s genius. It all went wrong for Boris when he lost this guy

Na, it is just that he like you, wants to rebut the idea that Leavers are generally thick, so it remains an obsession of his, like it is yours. It is OK @Leon, you aren't all thick. Obsessed about a trivial and pointless thing, yes, but not all of you are stupid. That feel better now?
    He's got a point about some remainers not being able to think independently of the consensus liberal London view. It's the whole argument I've had loads of times with a few people on here about wages at the lower end, there's loads of studies saying it wasn't impacted by A10 migration but then we've had loads of real world evidence of wage rises for those people since Brexit because of low skilled labour shortages. It's like those same people who can't see beyond the phrase "follow the science" on the pandemic. Sometimes the consensus view is wrong and it's been difficult to get some more ardent remainers to see that, whether that's on wages for the lower skilled or on the correct post-vaccine pandemic response.

It's almost as if the consensus is there to exist and not be challenged, which we know is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Apologies if this has been linked to already - a very interesting, and grudgingly admiring, piece on Dominic Cummings in the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/14/intoxicating-insidery-and-infuriating-everything-i-learned-about-dominic-cummings-from-his-10-a-month-blog

Cummings says there are two Boris Johnsons: what he calls Boris-Normal (Boris-N) and Boris-Self-Aware (Boris-SA). Boris-N is a lazy, self-indulgent chancer. He has no interest in policy, doesn’t bother to read his papers, has no idea how to chair a meeting, and cannot enter a room without looking for the exit routes. This Boris only cares about his own prospects and will do whatever it takes to bolster them. But that means that occasionally, when things get really sticky, a different Boris emerges. Boris-SA knows he’s hopelessly out of his depth and will do whatever he is told to survive.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Leon said:

That Guardian long-read on Dom Cummings’ blog, mentioned below, is indeed essential viewing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/14/intoxicating-insidery-and-infuriating-everything-i-learned-about-dominic-cummings-from-his-10-a-month-blog?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

It confirms that Cummings is infuriatingly clever and cunning - if you are his enemy

“Cummings thinks remainers are invariably fools, above all the better-educated ones, because they are incapable of accepting that they might be wrong. His shorthand for these people is Jolyons (after the remainer lawyer Jolyon Maugham) or, as he says of Keir Starmer, the ones who can’t resist giving “the London idiot answer” to any difficult question because they daren’t think for themselves. When Starmer got himself tangled up over the question of whether “only women have a cervix”, it was, Cummings says, because “he’s a dead player working off a script” – and the voters can smell that a mile off.”

The article also contains the brilliant revelation that the only reason Cummings and Boris prorogued parliament was to drive their opponents crazy (it worked), get them to talk about nothing else, until they eventually went so mad they provoked an election

I guess Cummings could be lying, but if it’s true it’s genius. It all went wrong for Boris when he lost this guy

Perhaps. But Cummings' demands and man-management were so gratuitous that whatever his other skills, it would have gone wrong for Boris even if Cummings had stayed, because the No 10 operation would have fallen apart - and Cummings' preferred political style only works when he or his proxies have absolute authority, which in turn only works when (as in 2019), you can purge your enemies and then win without them; by late 2020, that was no longer the score.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Are we past the days of having peers as PMs, in the sense of it being even legally possible? Though Lord Home got himself a safe seat as a MP pdq if I recall the recent discussion here. I'm sure someone could be persuaded to apply to the Chiltern Hundreds if need be, in a nice safe seat.
    Nothing that legally says the PM cannot be in the Lords - although I imagine that there would be no such thing as a safe seat for a by-election these days, if a party tried to force one in such circumstances.
    I read a couple of articles that had it as his for taking, but bottled it. He didn’t fancy being a war leader. Didn’t think we could win. Didn’t want to fight. The recent film of Churchill portrayed it like this?
    Labour wanted Halifax and that was the general consensus of the Commons. The King wanted Halifax and was a bit upset when Halifax raised the objection of being a peer and so not able to operate effectively in the House.
    That’s where I disagree with you Rottenborough. I can’t do it because I am a Lord buries the truth and distorts true history which needs to be revised, therefore your favourite history books on your shelf you always thought was history are lying to you and you need to get new ones.
    The truth being “havn’t slept for a week thinking I have to be war PM, I think we should make deal with Germans anyway.”
    The whole point of science is you ask questions. History is a social science, you have to question what you are being told.

Any problem with that?

The problem with the meeting, where Halifax went in as likely PM and Churchill emerged as leader, is that there was only the 3 people there - and should we trust any of their accounts as telling the truth?
    The art of the trade
    Yes exactly. That sort of thing.

Have to say your prose isn’t as good as mine, Nige.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

Everyone who was there said, in their various versions, that Halifax turned the job down.

The policy that Halifax suggested later, incidentally - making some kind of armistice with the Germans after the fall of France* - was the plan from WWI, if France had collapsed.

*Before the fall of France, he told a German envoy that peace was impossible with Hitler ruling Germany.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/14/intoxicating-insidery-and-infuriating-everything-i-learned-about-dominic-cummings-from-his-10-a-month-blog

This is pretty interesting, on Cummings and his blog. I still wouldn't give the toe-rag a penny of my hard-earned cash to read it myself, mind.

Cummings despises Guardian-reading lefties above all others, it turns out, so I can understand your reluctance

For me, it was slightly unnerving to discover that he is mildly obsessed with the super-efficient governance of Singapore, as I share the same modest obsession (I had no idea of his). Cummings is also convinced that he is nearly always right about everything
    I get the sense you are trolling by proxy. There's no reason why people criticised by Cummings have to take his words to heart. They could just shrug and think "yeah ok mate". Trouble is, a small number of people will react, and he (and you) will take that as validation and vindication.

Is it worth it? I guess if you're after a short-lived feeling of self satisfaction, yes. If you're after a more profound experience or insight, probably not.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Yeah, sorry about that. Though I try.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

A notable piece of research on MS just out.

Longitudinal analysis reveals high prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus associated with multiple sclerosis
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abj8222
    Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory demyelinating disease of the central nervous system of unknown etiology. We tested the hypothesis that MS is caused by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) in a cohort comprising more than 10 million young adults on active duty in the US military, 955 of whom were diagnosed with MS during their period of service. Risk of MS increased 32-fold after infection with EBV but was not increased after infection with other viruses, including the similarly transmitted cytomegalovirus. Serum levels of neurofilament light chain, a biomarker of neuroaxonal degeneration, increased only after EBV seroconversion. These findings cannot be explained by any known risk factor for MS and suggest EBV as the leading cause of MS.

Note that something like 90% of adults will have had EBV.

Non paywalled story

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2304340-strongest-evidence-yet-that-ms-is-caused-by-epstein-barr-virus/
    Guess who has a vaccine in development ?
    https://www.drugdiscoverytrends.com/moderna-doses-the-first-patient-with-its-mrna-epstein-barr-virus-vaccine-candidate/

They will need to lower their prices considerably if governments are going to consider mass childhood vaccination (as for HPV) in the future.
    My cousin and best friend (same person) had a brilliant career at the bar cut short at about 30 by the disease. Horrible horrible thing.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Perhaps. But Cummings' demands and man-management were so gratuitous that whatever his other skills, it would have gone wrong for Boris even if Cummings had stayed, because the No 10 operation would have fallen apart - and Cummings' preferred political style only works when he or his proxies have absolute authority, which in turn only works when (as in 2019), you can purge your enemies and then win without them; by late 2020, that was no longer the score.
    Cummings does of course deploy hindsight with spectacular effect when polishing his own record.

His comments about proroguing parliament also suggest he has Putin's (and Trump's) talent for being spectacularly good at short term domestic tactics and woefully inadequate at long term strategy. They are so obsessed with the political world they live in that they forget that the people they piss off now - here or abroad - might people they need one day. So they keep burning bridges until all the allies run out.
    Yes, indeed. I hope that at least some of the many candidates for next PM are reflecting that not only do standards matter, but also that long term successful governments are not built on creating us vs them scenarios, trying to piss off big sections of society but based on having a plan (not slogans) to improve the lives of people across society, whether they voted for you or not.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel Miranda is the person to complain to
  • Options

God, I hate middle class wankers who pretend to be working class/poor so they can get a sympathetic hearing/opportunities.

A woman who won a coveted scholarship in the US to study at Oxford after claiming she was poor, overcame childhood abuse and grew up in foster care lost the opportunity after it emerged she was middle-class and went to a $30,000-a-year private school.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/rhodes-scholar-university-of-pennsylvania-loses-place-oxford-b976530.html?amp

PS. Do you actually read PB?
    Probably he doesn't. Wearing a loud suit in a built up area is a serious job and takes a lot of time out of the day.
    I've worn a suit twice in the last 22 months.

Bloody pandemic.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Leon said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/14/intoxicating-insidery-and-infuriating-everything-i-learned-about-dominic-cummings-from-his-10-a-month-blog

This is pretty interesting, on Cummings and his blog. I still wouldn't give the toe-rag a penny of my hard-earned cash to read it myself, mind.

Cummings despises Guardian-reading lefties above all others, it turns out, so I can understand your reluctance

For me, it was slightly unnerving to discover that he is mildly obsessed with the super-efficient governance of Singapore, as I share the same modest obsession (I had no idea of his). Cummings is also convinced that he is nearly always right about everything
    When I hear that I'm bring despised, I always think of Rick's comment to Ugarte in Casablanca when Ugarte asks if Rick despises him, and Rick says that if he gave him any thought he probably would. So in my book if someone despises you it's probably best to count that as a win.
    Anyway, I may be a Guardian reading Leftie but I also work in finance and predict things for a living so maybe he'd give me a pass. Who knows.
    My dislike of Cummings rests on a couple of things, apart from his role in making Brexit happen, which I think is a bad thing (a view I think Cummings himself is coming round to, BTW). First, I dislike his elitist view of humanity. Second, I think he is a deeply dishonest campaigner. Since I believe in the intrinsically equal worth of all human beings and think that people in public life should be honest, I think Cummings is a scumbag, albeit an interesting and clever one.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Na, it is just that he like you, wants to rebut the idea that Leavers are generally thick, so it remains an obsession of his, like it is yours. It is OK @Leon, you aren't all thick. Obsessed about a trivial and pointless thing, yes, but not all of you are stupid. That feel better now?
    He's got a point about some remainers not being able to think independently of the consensus liberal London view. It's the whole argument I've had loads of times with a few people on here about wages at the lower end, there's loads of studies saying it wasn't impacted by A10 migration but then we've had loads of real world evidence of wage rises for those people since Brexit because of low skilled labour shortages. It's like those same people who can't see beyond the phrase "follow the science" on the pandemic. Sometimes the consensus view is wrong and it's been difficult to get some more ardent remainers to see that, whether that's on wages for the lower skilled or on the correct post-vaccine pandemic response.

It's almost as if the consensus is there to exist and not be challenged, which we know is a recipe for disaster in the long term.
    Trouble is, whenever people ask for a looksee at this "loads of evidence" conversations tend to evaporate.
    I've had some people respond to the challenge by saying "well I work in X and I've noticed Y is more expensive", which is somewhat unsatisfying, and I've seen a few tantalising bits of information about some well-paid skilled trades seeing a rise in wages, but that's not what you're talking about, is it?
    Further complicating this is the obvious pandemic effect. I've seen people trying to claim a partial rebound from pre-pandemic levels following lockdowns represents a Brexit dividend.

With such a poor-quality information ecosystem, anybody remaining unconvinced is probably reacting correctly at this stage.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited January 2022

Any hope of some Coop CCTV showing the booze being loaded into the suitcase?

It is a Co-op on The Strand, I'm fairly certain there was CCTV footage but it probably got auto wiped in the summer of 2021.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    FPT:

TimT said: I can't believe how excited I am at the prospect of having eagles nesting on our property.
    rcs1000 said: Just checking: do you own a small dog?

Bald Eagle update.

It's official, we have a pair of bald eagles now on our property at this very moment. One is perched on our roof, the other in the top of a tree across two pastures. They are active. Hoping this means they build a nest and hatch a brood in March.

Bald eagles grow to be about 15lbs. Our small dog is 22 lbs. Given physics, and two big Geman shepherds to help out, not so worried about Bernie. The free-range chickens, however ...

Eagles or chickens? What does PB think?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Eagles, that comment reminds me of William Rufus, who once laid hands on a servant for buying shoes that were not expensive enough for a king.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    This year reminds me very much of 2003, when Crispin Blunt famously demanded a leadership election a matter of seconds after the local election polls closed at 10pm on 1st May. (Ironically the Tories won the projected national share that year with 35%/30%/30% and an increase of over 500 councillors).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Conservative_Party_leadership_election
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_United_Kingdom_local_elections
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    On Topic (in the broadest sense);

FT

“ Financial fatalism fuels a gambling gold rush

We have never had so many things to bet on, nor so many companies urging us to take a punt”

https://www.google.com/search?q=https://www.ft.com/content/96af6536-6e5e-4a32-b08b-f6bf87aa4d5e
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

I get the sense you are trolling by proxy. There's no reason why people criticised by Cummings have to take his words to heart. They could just shrug and think "yeah ok mate". Trouble is, a small number of people will react, and he (and you) will take that as validation and vindication.

Is it worth it? I guess if you're after a short-lived feeling of self satisfaction, yes. If you're after a more profound experience or insight, probably not.
    No, he’s just right. On this and other things. That his style annoys annoying lefties is a side salad of satisfaction, it’s not fundamentally important

He’s also completely right about Lab Leak. He gets this stuff, where other, narrower minds are just unable

However I agree with the critique from @david_herdson and others that his punchy style is not suited to front line, everyday politics. He DOES annoy people, and enjoys it, just a bit too much

He should be a back room boffin. A kind of Bletchley Park scientist of politics. The fact his significant talents are now wasted on a sub stack blog is a damn shame for all of us, even if you despise him

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    Asked if she would call for Boris Johnson to resign, this Tory MP said: 'Let's wait and see'
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/asked-would-call-boris-johnson-22755313
  • Options
    I am unwinding after a tough day at work. You are in breach of the lockdown guidelines. He has apologised to the Queen for two illegal parties held the night before the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral.

https://twitter.com/HughRBrechin/status/1481978101659803655
  • Options
    Aslan said:

Leon said:

Cummings wasn't smart enough to realize that a leading spin doctor the papers loved to cover shouldn't go walkabout during a lockdown.
    Also, Dom wasn't smart enough to realise that Boris didn't want to sleep with him, so wouldn't do what Dom told him to.

If you want to be a puppet master, make sure you know where you know where you are going to be sticking your hand.
  • Options

PS. Do you actually read PB?
    Probably he doesn't. Wearing a loud suit in a built up area is a serious job and takes a lot of time out of the day.
    I've worn a suit twice in the last 22 months.

Bloody pandemic.
    My God. That means that when you next do, it will be a loud suit. Louder than usual. What will the safety distance be?

{frantically checks}

Hmmmmm

https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/personal-protection-and-clothing/welding-helmets-and-shields/sentinel-a50-automatic-welding-helmet/p/ZT1174217X?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=pla+|+Personal Protection & Clothing&utm_term=ZT1174217X&utm_medium=shopping-pla&targetid=pla-293946777986&loc_physical_ms=9045943&dev=c&gclid=CjwKCAiA24SPBhB0EiwAjBgkhg84Tx92ZtquE_QAS6NYJjSpddFyarc7PbFnUfMdXBtr16RE6Sh8DhoC4kUQAvD_BwE
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Cookie said:

Ooh, 5,000th post!

If you're like me that's the point of no return. You're stuck on the wheel now and have to keep spinning around and around.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    TimT said:

FPT:

TimT said: I can't believe how excited I am at the prospect of having eagles nesting on our property.

Bald Eagle update.

It's official, we have a pair of bald eagles now on our property at this very moment. One is perched on our roof, the other in the top of a tree across two pastures. They are active. Hoping this means they build a nest and hatch a brood in March.

Bald eagles grow to be about 15lbs. Our small dog is 22 lbs. Given physics, and two big Geman shepherds to help out, not so worried about Bernie. The free-range chickens, however ...

Eagle would be pretty tough, no?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

She could at least added one horse in there!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Halifax accepted that there was no constitutional bar on him being PM in the Lords; he turned the job down primarily because he didn't want to do it and recognised that Churchill would overshadow him, whatever their official statuses.

By 1940, it wasn't even accepted that a PM couldn't sit in the Lords. It was only 38 years then since it had last happened (the equivalent of 1984 from now), and Curzon had been seriously considered as a PM candidate in the early 1920s.

While it was certainly seen as unhelpful that a PM might sit in a House where the main opposition had barely any representation, it wasn't an absolute bar.

In any case, there were provisions that could have been made to ease the difficulty. One was to amend the HoC standing orders, to allow a non-MP PM to be able to address MPs from within the chamber; IIRC, another would have been for the king to put Halifax's peerage into abeyance.

Either way, you don't lose a world war for a point of minor constitutional principle which wasn't even convention at that stage. Had Halifax been the MP and Churchill the peer (far from impossible), it's very likely that the latter would still have become PM.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, that comment reminds me of William Rufus, who once laid hands on a servant for buying shoes that were not expensive enough for a king.

Ah, the medieval King, who when "accidentally" killed, instead of everyone going.... medieval.... on the chap who did it....

"You must feel bad about that. Bit of shame and all that. More wine?"
  • Options

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Halifax accepted that there was no constitutional bar on him being PM in the Lords; he turned the job down primarily because he didn't want to do it and recognised that Churchill would overshadow him, whatever their official statuses.

By 1940, it wasn't even accepted that a PM couldn't sit in the Lords. It was only 38 years then since it had last happened (the equivalent of 1984 from now), and Curzon had been seriously considered as a PM candidate in the early 1920s.

While it was certainly seen as unhelpful that a PM might sit in a House where the main opposition had barely any representation, it wasn't an absolute bar.

In any case, there were provisions that could have been made to ease the difficulty. One was to amend the HoC standing orders, to allow a non-MP PM to be able to address MPs from within the chamber; IIRC, another would have been for the king to put Halifax's peerage into abeyance.

Either way, you don't lose a world war for a point of minor constitutional principle which wasn't even convention at that stage. Had Halifax been the MP and Churchill the peer (far from impossible), it's very likely that the latter would still have become PM.
    IIRC Halifax claimed that his reason was that he thought it would end up as Asquith vs Lloyd George all over again, and that the country needed better than that.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Ooh, 5,000th post!

If you're like me that's the point of no return. You're stuck on the wheel now and have to keep spinning around and around.
    I’m determined to still be posting when I am PM.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Yes. I think it’s essentially the religious module in the human brain, which is at work here, the bit of our mind wired for faith. Except god is replaced by secular atheist faith in this or that liberal piety. In this case, the secular faith is EU membership

The mad posh Remainers confronted by Brexit are like hardcore Catholics confronted by “heresy”. They cannot understand how or why anyone would believe this, Brexit is evil and wrong and can never be right.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

No, he’s just right. On this and other things. That his style annoys annoying lefties is a side salad of satisfaction, it’s not fundamentally important

He’s also completely right about Lab Leak. He gets this stuff, where other, narrower minds are just unable

However I agree with the critique from @david_herdson and others that his punchy style is not suited to front line, everyday politics. He DOES annoy people, and enjoys it, just a bit too much

He should be a back room boffin. A kind of Bletchley Park scientist of politics. The fact his significant talents are now wasted on a sub stack blog is a damn shame for all of us, even if you despise him

I think he adopted the lab leak theory on the basis of the superb https://scottaaronson.blog/ - the guy is a computer scientist but with wider interests. The newest but one piece is a guest slot about the dreadful Scientific American E O Wilson piece. The most recent which I don't understand but sounds fun is about an attempt to set up a real world schrodinger's tardigrade.
  • Options
    Leon said:

His significant talents seem to be anything but wasted currently, given the likely political developments.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimT said:

FPT:

Bald Eagle update.

LOL. It may be moot. A redtail hawk has just chased off the eagles. Either way, the chickens' odds are not looking good ...
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel is a he...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Asked if she would call for Boris Johnson to resign, this Tory MP said: 'Let's wait and see'
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/asked-would-call-boris-johnson-22755313

Clearly not against Boris then, another one for HY to tally down as on board in the Vonc.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I mean, no. If he thinks you can use a 52-48 vote say that one side are invariably fools, then not only is he wrong, he doesn't even deserve to be taken seriously. It's the sort of thing someone says when they're congenitally giddy, or when they're trolling. In either case (and I do not think of Cummings as giddy), it's the sort of thing that can -- ought to -- be brushed aside with little worry.
    The fundamental issue here is complexity, and the multidimensionality of opinion making. People come to the same conclusions (e.g. Leave), for so many different reasons. Vote Leave understood this excellently and their microtargeting strategy was [chef's kiss]. Cummings understands this, unless he's had a debilitating stroke or a heavy blow to the head in the intervening years. So him saying the above is really just a case of provocation.

And that's ok, being provocative has its merits and can certainly be a lot of fun. But it's a mistake to look for deep philosophy when what you're seeing is a clown with a custard pie.
  • Options
    I've found some rare footage of people taking sensible precautions when TSE heads out in a new suit

https://youtu.be/RTrSTJ5a_wo?t=41
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Longitudinal analysis reveals high prevalence of Epstein-Barr virus associated with multiple sclerosis
    Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic inflammatory demyelinating disease of the central nervous system of unknown etiology. We tested the hypothesis that MS is caused by Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) in a cohort comprising more than 10 million young adults on active duty in the US military, 955 of whom were diagnosed with MS during their period of service. Risk of MS increased 32-fold after infection with EBV but was not increased after infection with other viruses, including the similarly transmitted cytomegalovirus. Serum levels of neurofilament light chain, a biomarker of neuroaxonal degeneration, increased only after EBV seroconversion. These findings cannot be explained by any known risk factor for MS and suggest EBV as the leading cause of MS.

Non paywalled story

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2304340-strongest-evidence-yet-that-ms-is-caused-by-epstein-barr-virus/
    https://www.drugdiscoverytrends.com/moderna-doses-the-first-patient-with-its-mrna-epstein-barr-virus-vaccine-candidate/

They will need to lower their prices considerably if governments are going to consider mass childhood vaccination (as for HPV) in the future.
    My cousin and best friend (same person) had a brilliant career at the bar cut short at about 30 by the disease. Horrible horrible thing.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Viruses have many ways if messing with your immune system in unexpected ways, and we're finding out (as recently with measles) how nasty that can be for some people.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel is a he...
    Apologies. Looking beyond the moustache the beard should have been the clincher.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,718
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Cummings strategy has been to rely on his opponents doing things to their own disadvantage. It's a strategy that has worked more often than it should have done. The problem with the "Mad Man" game theory however is that you have to actually be mad for any chance of success, while mad isn't a good personality trait for getting on in life, in general.

Should add having read the article, and having been a PM myself, Cummings is a good project manager: focused on results and marshalling resources to achieve those results. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near policy however
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639

Leon said:

His significant talents seem to be anything but wasted currently, given the likely political developments.
    Maybe the next Tory leader will invite him back, providing he agrees to work behind the scenes.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited January 2022

Alistair said:

Alistair's SA update

Things are suddenly looking good.

Week 2 Admissions are projected to be down 18% week-on-week
    Week 2 Deaths I am now projecting to be falling, by a tiny 3.5% but still a clear fall suggesting that deaths have peaked or at the very least are peaking.

In Hospital numbers are clearly trending down.

If you take week 47 as OMICRON START WEEK then it's taken 7 weeks for SA to get to this point.

We've seen similar from previous peaks - cases up and down, then a long, fat tail
    This week is now a lot better than what I was projecting at the start of the week - it was looking like deaths were still rising and admissions would be flat. Near 20% week on week fall is a decent figure.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Maybe the next Tory leader will invite him back, providing he agrees to work behind the scenes.
    That would be a mistake.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

Non paywalled story

I'm sorry to hear that.
    Viruses have many ways if messing with your immune system, and we're finding out (as recently with measles) how nasty that can be for some people.
    EBV is a strange bug. Not just associated with mono and now MS, but also Burkett's lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Epstein was my prof at uni.
  • Options

Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel is a he...
    Apologies. Looking beyond the moustache the beard should have been the clincher.
    Are we allowed to assume things from the presence of beard?

Anyway, that's not a beard. This is a beard

• Options

Ah, the medieval King, who when "accidentally" killed, instead of everyone going.... medieval.... on the chap who did it....

Did they have suitcases in medieval times?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I mean, no. If he thinks you can use a 52-48 vote say that one side are invariably fools, then not only is he wrong, he doesn't even deserve to be taken seriously. It's the sort of thing someone says when they're congenitally giddy, or when they're trolling. In either case (and I do not think of Cummings as giddy), it's the sort of thing that can -- ought to -- be brushed aside with little worry.
    The fundamental issue here is complexity, and the multidimensionality of opinion making. People come to the same conclusions (e.g. Leave), for so many different reasons. Vote Leave understood this excellently and their microtargeting strategy was [chef's kiss]. Cummings understands this, unless he's had a debilitating stroke or a heavy blow to the head in the intervening years. So him saying the above is really just a case of provocation.

And that's ok, being provocative has its merits and can certainly be a lot of fun. But it's a mistake to look for deep philosophy when what you're seeing is a clown with a custard pie.
    As he says: invariably fools. And incapable of self-awareness: of realising they are fools
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

There was a moment back there when Dom and Boris did annoys Remoaners and Lefties beyond measure. But such have been their laughable failings - Boris and his parties, Dom's eye test, a generally lacklustre Brexit - that the Remoaners/Lefties are now in a supremely smug 'We told you so' mood. In fact, for Boris's enemies, Dom has become something akin to a national treasure and they'll be sorry when he finally goes away.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Yes. I think it’s essentially the religious module in the human brain, which is at work here, the bit of our mind wired for faith. Except god is replaced by secular atheist faith in this or that liberal piety. In this case, the secular faith is EU membership

The mad posh Remainers confronted by Brexit are like hardcore Catholics confronted by “heresy”. They cannot understand how or why anyone would believe this, Brexit is evil and wrong and can never be right.
    A book I read recently - it may have been 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, or it may not have been - had as one of its central premises the tendency of the human brain to divide people into 'us' and 'them'. It went on to see how much better 'us' liberals were at not doing this - not like 'them' conservatives. And how 'us' liberals were therefore better.
    It was a very interesting book with an absolutely startling lack of self-awareness.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

He doesn't want to work behind the scenes. He wants to be the number 1 guy.
  • Options

Did they have suitcases in medieval times?
    Modern invention, I think.....

"We are out of Sack! Varlet, get thee to Honest John the Vinteer on Old Jewry. No bag? Faith!.... take my saddle bags, wretch!"
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Leon said:

That’s the issue with Cummo.

He understands and values the skills needed to diagnose problems, and those needed to devise solutions. He doesn’t understand or value the skills needed to implement these solutions, in any discipline where people are involved (hence his reading list is almost entirely about non-people subjects like science, tech and crypto). Insofar as people figure in his worldview it is as the passive recipients of manipulative messages.

Hence he turned out to be pretty useless in practice, working in the political world of number ten, not least because he couldn’t get on with anyone.

For Cummo’s prescriptions to work, it would need a world where he and a few acolytes make almost every decision, with the rest of humanity doomed to try and scratch whatever fulfilment we could from simply following instructions. As commander of an army of obedient but versatile robots, he’d be really scary.

The idea that, in the real world, a sub-optimal technical solution might deliver better outcomes if some decentralisation is built into it such that its actors gain motivation and satisfaction from making their own decisions, even if some of these are not always for the best, wouldn’t compute for him.

Then again, there are a lot of politicians who are like that, as well. But that is more due to the lure of power than lack of understanding.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

A book I read recently - it may have been 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari, or it may not have been - had as one of its central premises the tendency of the human brain to divide people into 'us' and 'them'. It went on to see how much better 'us' liberals were at not doing this - not like 'them' conservatives. And how 'us' liberals were therefore better.
    It was a very interesting book with an absolutely startling lack of self-awareness.
    Lol, yes. As I say below ‘lack of self awareness’ is basically the idiot liberal lefty USP

It’s also interesting to read Cummings contempt for Starmer and his team. Too lazy, intellectually lacking, not hungry enough. Sounds fair. They just got lucky with Boris being such a berk

However I’m very surprised that he rates Nandy. But given that The Dom is so insightful on other things I might reassess her. Given that I am, like you, NOT a closed-minded imbecile Remainer Guardianista
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Cummings strategy has been to rely on his opponents doing things to their own disadvantage. It's a strategy that has worked more often than it should have done. The problem with the "Mad Man" game theory however is that you have to actually be mad for any chance of success, while mad isn't a good personality trait for getting on in life, in general.

Should add having read the article, and having been a PM myself, Cummings is a good project manager: focused on results and marshalling resources to achieve those results. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near policy however
    It's a toxic fashion in politics to take the extremes of the opposite side and amplify them to your supporters as if it represents all of the opposite side. And it's easy to provoke a reaction from excitable people on any side of an argument. None of this is clever, but it can be done with skill.
    So you don't even need to go as far as relying on opponents to make mistakes. You make idiots make mistakes, and if it's the wrong idiots, just recast them as your opponents. It's been amazingly lucrative for several people. I just wish otherwise intelligent people would notice the trick and stop listening to those who play that game. Fundamentally, these people aren't any good for us.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I find it interesting that as religion as such fades in the population, the instincts and habits we associate with religion have been re-purposed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

As he says: invariably fools. And incapable of self-awareness: of realising they are fools
    Too many colons: rethink.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited January 2022
    Loads of people will see the revived City Hall vid doing the rounds and think it footage from a recent party. It's one of those things that isn't true, but is plausible.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

It leaves a real danger of sliding into a weird sort of new autocracy with no one willing to challenge the liberal consensus. What we've seen from history is great advancement when the existing consensus is challenged, from the enlightenment to heretical scientists to Calvinism/reformation and the end of colonialism. It is in cultures where the consensus can't be challenged like Islam where there has been no leaps forwards for society, in fact they have gone backwards with women's rights, gay rights and minority rights all going backwards based on an unchallengable consensus view.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Awesome post.

Opening bit

“ Halifax accepted that there was no constitutional bar on him being PM in the Lords; he turned the job down primarily because he didn't want to do it and recognised that Churchill would overshadow him, whatever their official statuses. “.

Absolutely spot on as the history as I know it. But does raise questions as, not without skills and merit was Halifax nonetheless not leadership material crucially in his own mind? And how history books would wrongly copy each other as the reason for the decision as something else?

One of the weaknesses of history books and historians is how so much of it just copies each other? Especially now in the internet age, it’s not so many sources as it appears if all says same thing with so few alternative perspectives.
  • Options

Leon said:

I think Cummings is a scumbag, albeit an interesting one.
    You’ve nailed why Sean likes him, at least.

• Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Lol, yes. As I say below ‘lack of self awareness’ is basically the idiot liberal lefty USP

It’s also interesting to read Cummings contempt for Starmer and his team. Too lazy, intellectually lacking, not hungry enough. Sounds fair. They just got lucky with Boris being such a berk

However I’m very surprised that he rates Nandy. But given that The Dom is so insightful on other things I might reassess her. Given that I am, like you, NOT a closed-minded imbecile Remainer Guardianista
    ‘lack of self awareness’ is basically the idiot liberal lefty USP

Fixed that for you, no charge.

Everyone has their lack of self awareness. The only question is how much.

The least self aware proclaim they are totally self aware......
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    TimT said:

FPT:

Bald Eagle update.

Be great watching them if they do nest and have chicks. Think, though, that the free-range chickens are going to have to penned, and in a pen with a roof.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 782
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

People like me are still living in what we call the reality-based community. I believe that solutions emerge from my judicious study of discernible reality. That's not the way the world really works anymore. Dom's an empire now, and when he acts, he creates his own reality. And while I am studying that reality—judiciously, as I will—he'll act again, creating other new realities, which I can study too, and that's how things will sort out. He's history's actor.

With apologies to The National (the band) and... er, Karl Rove.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Cummings is a bit like a malfunctioning prototype of Elon Musk.....they can identify problems, there isn't problem they don't think can be solved (especially ones that everybody else says no that's impossible), they are in a rush to solve them all and in doing so very weird and difficult individuals who see everybody else as wasting their time on this planet.

The difference is Musk gets shit done (albeit over promises, as he believes just a few more days and whatever remaining issue will be solved), Cummings just does a shit.
  • Options
    A mere 32% week on week fall in the Scotland reporting day case numbers. Deeply dissapointing.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

It leaves a real danger of sliding into a weird sort of new autocracy with no one willing to challenge the liberal consensus. What we've seen from history is great advancement when the existing consensus is challenged, from the enlightenment to heretical scientists to Calvinism/reformation and the end of colonialism. It is in cultures where the consensus can't be challenged like Islam where there has been no leaps forwards for society, in fact they have gone backwards with women's rights, gay rights and minority rights all going backwards based on an unchallengable consensus view.
    Liberalism faced two pretty robust challenges after achieving hegemony. The first from about 1917 starting in Eastern Europe, and the second from the 1920s and 30s starting in Southern and Central Europe. It won both challenges. Finding a new creditable alternative is a bit of a task.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,618
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Yes, I remember that (and I think it was Sapiens). He takes the platonic ideal of a liberal - objective, evidence based, head over heart, open to change etc - and then assumes that self identifying liberals actually behave like that. When they generally don't. Like him they are human beings. I say that as a self-identifying liberal myself.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    FF43 said:

Should add having read the article, and having been a PM myself, Cummings is a good project manager:

Read that and just for a very short split second thought we might have an ex-Prime Minister in our midst (there's always been rumours about Dave) ;)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel is a he...

I would be moved to argue that that is TWO beards.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Liberalism faced two pretty robust challenges after achieving hegemony. The first from about 1917 starting in Eastern Europe, and the second from the 1920s and 30s starting in Southern and Central Europe. It won both challenges. Finding a new creditable alternative is a bit of a task.
    Maybe, but that doesn't mean the consensus should be immune to challenges or that those who challenge it should be cast as evil.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

[snip]

What I find so remarkable is the self-awareness of such figures as Jacob Rees-Mogg, Lord Frost, Dominic Raab, Mark Francois, Iain Duncan-Smith, and Nadine Dorries.

Come to think of it, not just self-awareness, any kind of awareness.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Awesome post.

Opening bit

“ Halifax accepted that there was no constitutional bar on him being PM in the Lords; he turned the job down primarily because he didn't want to do it and recognised that Churchill would overshadow him, whatever their official statuses. “.

Absolutely spot on as the history as I know it. But does raise questions as, not without skills and merit was Halifax nonetheless not leadership material crucially in his own mind? And how history books would wrongly copy each other as the reason for the decision as something else?

One of the weaknesses of history books and historians is how so much of it just copies each other? Especially now in the internet age, it’s not so many sources as it appears if all says same thing with so few alternative perspectives.
    Indeed - going back to primary sources often reveals interesting things.

A very good recent example was "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway" which pointed out that much of the layers of scholarship on the battle was wrong. Among other things, the Japanese carriers had physical limitations which meant that various things couldn't be true. And a major Japanese source had been proved to be less than accurate y historians in Japan....

From my reading of the period, Halifax saw himself as the wrong man to be PM - in a World War*. I think he would have jumped at the job, if it had been a matter of managing the continuing recovery of the economy, dealing with social issues and a bit of diplomacy.

*I seem to recall a story, that one of the pacifist types in the Labour party asked Atlee why he was serving under that "ghastly warmonger and warlover, Churchill?". Atlee is supposed to have replied that the country needed a warmonger.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Maybe, but that doesn't mean the consensus should be immune to challenges or that those who challenge it should be cast as evil.
    Not at all, and I'm all ears for an alternative. But given the alternatives I have seen so far, I remain a liberal for now.
  • Options

Leon said:

[snip]

What I find so remarkable is the self-awareness of such figures as Jacob Rees-Mogg, Lord Frost, Dominic Raab, Mark Francois, Iain Duncan-Smith, and Nadine Dorries.

And yet that doesn't detract from those rich liberal remainers being served coffee by a minimum wage Romanian telling working class English people they simply needed to "work harder" to succeed.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Too many colons: rethink.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynghanedd
  • Options

Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel is a he...

Something has gone wrong there for sure. Sad for him. 😕. Some sort of fungi eating away at the middle. I wouldn’t rule out moths.

To answer your question, if Po can make that mistake, so can I.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

You seem to have missed the rise of China. Hint: it’s not exactly liberal

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

[snip]

And yet that doesn't detract from those rich liberal remainers being served coffee by a minimum wage Romanian telling working class English people they simply needed to "work harder" to succeed.
    Err, I'll think you'll find that it's rich Brexiteers who are most likely to have that attitude. Indeed it is implicit in what they now claim was the principal motive for Brexit.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

[snip]

TL;DR there are tw*ts in all walks of life and political creeds.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    The MPs select the two to be put to the membership (those with 3months membership - which may be significant). Think they would have to select Sunak but not sure Truss is a certainty for the second slot. Hunt benefits from not being in the Cabinet so therefore "not to blame for letting Boris get away with it". Any election assuming Boris resigns in the next fortnight will last until the end of February. Which helpfully for Sunak is before the tax rises and Gas and Electricity prices hit.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

[snip]

Err, I'll think you'll find that it's rich Brexiteers who are most likely to have that attitude. Indeed it is implicit in what they now claim was the principal motive for Brexit.
    It's shocking that you accuse others of having no self awareness, Richard.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

I'm very glad to add that to the list of liberalism's enemies.
    Oddly, it doesn't change my point that liberalism's opponents are still lacking a credible alternative.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    TimT said:

Carnyx said:

TimT said:

FPT:

Bald Eagle update.

LOL. It may be moot. A redtail hawk has just chased off the eagles. Either way, the chickens' odds are not looking good ...
    I do like the occasional Nature Notdes on PB even if they are not of the 'featherfooted through the plashy fen passes the questing vole' variety. We've had some very nice moths in the past.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

China seems to be sowing the seeds of its own future stagnation. Its illiberalism under Xi and predecessors being a prime reason (ever more inefficient state control of investment, discouragement of free speech, nobbling of its financial centre in Hong Kong, suppression of internal migration, and further back the long term demographic timebomb of the authoritarian one child policy). I may be wrong, of course. Time will tell.
  • Options
    A redtail hawk has eaten this thread.
  • Options

new thread

• Options

Leon said:

[snip]

Half those people are just a bit dim

What is interesting about Remainers is - as Cummings notes - the more educated and ‘intelligent’ they are, the more clueless they become. At the extreme end, Remoaners with Strasbourg Syndrome, they actually go mad. A C Grayling is the paramount example.

And I don’t say that with relish or in attempt to troll. I met Grayling before Brexit and he was a very charming man. Witty, personable, affable, and obviously intelligent. Seeing him have a public, prolonged breakdown on Twitter post-2016, is genuinely sad

• Options
    edited January 2022

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Awesome post.

Opening bit

A very good recent example was "Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway" which pointed out that much of the layers of scholarship on the battle was wrong. Among other things, the Japanese carriers had physical limitations which meant that various things couldn't be true. And a major Japanese source had been proved to be less than accurate y historians in Japan....

From my reading of the period, Halifax saw himself as the wrong man to be PM - in a World War*. I think he would have jumped at the job, if it had been a matter of managing the continuing recovery of the economy, dealing with social issues and a bit of diplomacy.

*I seem to recall a story, that one of the pacifist types in the Labour party asked Atlee why he was serving under that "ghastly warmonger and warlover, Churchill?". Atlee is supposed to have replied that the country needed a warmonger.
    I think what you have added to what David posted nails it now.

+

“ Halifax saw himself as the wrong man to be PM in a war “

= pretty much the true history of what happened. 👍🏻

Though still probably some questions around prevalence of “sign a truce rather than attempt a war” feeling? Like you said, go back to original sources, that would be a view of it from the other side of the war, without knowing that we won, without full or any awareness of the horrors of the concentration camps, and likely so many other ways where the view would be different, than the view of the same spot in history post war.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

[snip]

Half those people are just a bit dim

What is interesting about Remainers is - as Cummings notes - the more educated and ‘intelligent’ they are, the more clueless they become. At the extreme end, Remoaners with Strasbourg Syndrome, they actually go mad. A C Grayling is the paramount example.

And I don’t say that with relish or in attempt to troll. I met Grayling before Brexit and he was a very charming man. Witty, personable, affable, and obviously intelligent. Seeing him have a public, prolonged breakdown on Twitter post-2016, is genuinely sad

I agree, Grayling and many others like him have gone bonkers over Brexit. I suppose it's because it is so obviously irrational that they can't get their heads around it.

But at least as many Leavers have also gone bonkers over it, as we see every day both here and in the media. Unfortunately some of the most bonkers ones seem to be running the country.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Endillion said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Any problem with that?

The art of the trade

Lin-Manuel is a he...

I would be moved to argue that that is TWO beards.
    It’s obviously Donald Pleasance playing someone in a production, whose he playing?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Leadsom for leader.

Roooth!

Awesome post.

Opening bit

I think what you have added to what David posted nails it now.

+

“ Halifax saw himself as the wrong man to be PM in a war “

= pretty much the true history of what happened. 👍🏻

Though still probably some questions around prevalence of “sign a truce rather than attempt a war” feeling? Like you said, go back to original sources, that would be a view of it from the other side of the war, without knowing that we won, without full or any awareness of the horrors of the concentration camps, and likely so many other ways where the view would be different, than the view of the same spot in history post war.
    Were not the worst horrors of the concentration camps after 1940? I rather suspect that had we signed a truce with Hitler the latter would have turned his attention to the East sooner.
This discussion has been closed.