Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Four months of the weekly local by-election bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

To early to call a nationwide peak IMO, we need another week to wash the holiday data out of the system.

We can be slightly more confident in London, which had the outbreak earlier.

Not clear that Plan B has made much difference, other than to trash the hospitality sector before Christmas.

What trashed hospitality was the media and scientists all screaming "Ohmyfuckingcron - we're all going to die!!!!!" - and consequently, most sane people deciding to hold off having big Christmas gatherings.

What caused most people to hold off was the cases zooming to interesting heights

And not fear of getting Covid per se, rather of getting it at the wrong time an£ being forced to isolate.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    edited January 2022
    Ashley out!!
    Er, hang on...
    Saudis out! Ashley in?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575

RobD said:

RobD said:

ping said:

Great news from the James Webb.

Looks like the mirrors have deployed successfully.

Can someone explain something to me please?

I understand that this is looking for images that date to the earliest stars in the universe which have had to travel billions of light years to reach us, which explains why we can essentially "look back in time" to the first stars in the universe.

But what I don't understand is why that light hasn't passed us by already?

Unless we've been travelling from the origins of the universe at either the speed of light or faster than it, why haven't we already missed those images?

It's fortuitous that we haven't but that's the one bit I don't understand so if someone who understands astrophysics better could answer that question I'd be very curious.
    The universe expanded faster than the speed of light. So things that were very close to us back when the universe was born are now extremely far away, so far that it takes as long as the age of the universe to see them.
    Thanks that helps a bit. I wonder how that worked? I thought faster than speed of light was science fiction.

I can understand eg if we're traveling at 0.7c in one direction and something else is traveling at 0.7c in another direction then relatively that is expansion of faster than the speed of light, without actually traveling faster than it.

But we aren't looking for where those stars are now, we are looking for where they were then.

These stars we are looking for I would have thought wouldn't have had relatively that much time to travel in the opposite direction by when they emitted the light we are looking for. What am I missing?
    Space itself got bigger, so nothing actually broke the speed of light. The galaxies on a balloon analogy is a good one. The galaxies themselves are at rest, but space (the balloon) is expanding.

I don't really understand your second question.
    Thanks for the explanations on space/time for those who responded.

The second question was that I'd have thought we'd be looking at the universe as it had expanded when the light was emitted, not as expanded as it is now.

But it seems like despite the light travelling towards us it is still expanding away from us as time goes on too. Despite the fact the expansion took place after the light leaving it's point of origin, which seems counterintuitive to me.
    Some FAQs here which may also be of help.
    https://astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,088

To early to call a nationwide peak IMO, we need another week to wash the holiday data out of the system.

We can be slightly more confident in London, which had the outbreak earlier.

Not clear that Plan B has made much difference, other than to trash the hospitality sector before Christmas.

What trashed hospitality was the media and scientists all screaming "Ohmyfuckingcron - we're all going to die!!!!!" - and consequently, most sane people deciding to hold off having big Christmas gatherings.

Well yes, there is that.
    The Omicronpanic certainly didn't help, but it was also just plain bad timing.

The reaction of an awful lot of people, which was to go to ground so that they wouldn't be stuck isolating (whether that's because they were still adhering rigidly to the rules, or simply worrying about transmitting the disease to older relatives if they caught it and then went ahead with plans regardless,) was understandable. Nobody wanted to cancel Christmas two years on the bounce.

Clearly if the variant had had the decency to hold off until January then the economic fallout would've been less severe.
  • I'm on the side of the mother.

A US teacher has been arrested after allegedly locking her Covid-positive son in a car boot to protect herself from exposure to the virus as she drove to a testing site, say local media.

Sarah Beam, 41, is reportedly charged with endangering a child.

A witness called police after hearing someone in the vehicle's trunk on 3 January at the site in Harris County, Texas, according to click2Houston.com.

The teacher reportedly opened the boot to reveal the boy lying inside.

Ms Beam said her 13-year-old son had tested positive for Covid-19 and she was taking him to the Pridgeon Stadium location for another test to confirm the result, according to local media.

She reportedly said she had placed the teenager in the car boot because she did not want to be infected herself.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59919105
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

Ashley out!!
    Er, hang on...
    Saudis out! Ashley in?

Can Hull now do the same against Everton 3rd team?

I see Mike Ashley is interested in buying another bankrupt business....Derby County.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461
    edited January 2022

BigRich said:

England hospital numbers:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

New infections seem to be on a definite downward path with the peak being 29/12.

Time to talk about removing restrictions.

They do not normally report the total in hospital for the day of the report, i.e. the 8th of Jan on the 8th of Jan, i suspect that this is an 'admin blip' at that is a provisional number that will be revised up.
    Possibly - I was surprised to see it reported.

But its interesting that the number on ventilators has been falling - which suggests that those being hospitalised with Omicron are less seriously ill and so are likely to be leaving hospital sooner.

There's also the possibility that the number of anti-vaxxers not previously infected has now reached such minimal levels that they're having less of an effect on hospital numbers.
    I'm really not trying to be clever, but is it possible that the number on ventilators is falling at least partly because quite a lot are dying and have no further need for a ventilator? From what I can see there are currently around 850 on ventilators. 1,271 deaths have been reported over the last 7 days (yes, I know that some of these deaths happened more than 7 days ago).
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,129
    edited January 2022
    Barnsley 4 Barrow 4 is the craziest result

edit, not a result yet. And there have been three goals in the last four minutes.
  • Cambridge United = University of Cambridge

Newcastle United = University of Oxford
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

RobD said:

ping said:

I understand that this is looking for images that date to the earliest stars in the universe which have had to travel billions of light years to reach us, which explains why we can essentially "look back in time" to the first stars in the universe.

Unless we've been travelling from the origins of the universe at either the speed of light or faster than it, why haven't we already missed those images?

It's fortuitous that we haven't but that's the one bit I don't understand so if someone who understands astrophysics better could answer that question I'd be very curious.
    The universe expanded faster than the speed of light. So things that were very close to us back when the universe was born are now extremely far away, so far that it takes as long as the age of the universe to see them.
    Thanks that helps a bit. I wonder how that worked? I thought faster than speed of light was science fiction.

I can understand eg if we're traveling at 0.7c in one direction and something else is traveling at 0.7c in another direction then relatively that is expansion of faster than the speed of light, without actually traveling faster than it.

But we aren't looking for where those stars are now, we are looking for where they were then.

These stars we are looking for I would have thought wouldn't have had relatively that much time to travel in the opposite direction by when they emitted the light we are looking for. What am I missing?
    There is more universe than we can see. Our "visible horizon" is not the edge of space. Think of it like standing on a hill on the Isle of Man. On the horizon you can see Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales, but there is a lot more world beyond your visible horizon.

The other point is that while nothing can travel through spacetime faster than light, spacetime itself can expand faster than light (because spacetime is stretching, not travelling through itself)
    These are big claims.

A tortoise can travel faster than light if you choose to think he has.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

New infections seem to be on a definite downward path with the peak being 29/12.

They do not normally report the total in hospital for the day of the report, i.e. the 8th of Jan on the 8th of Jan, i suspect that this is an 'admin blip' at that is a provisional number that will be revised up.

But its interesting that the number on ventilators has been falling - which suggests that those being hospitalised with Omicron are less seriously ill and so are likely to be leaving hospital sooner.

There's also the possibility that the number of anti-vaxxers not previously infected has now reached such minimal levels that they're having less of an effect on hospital numbers.
    I'm really not trying to be clever, but is it possible that the number on ventilators is falling at least partly because quite a lot are dying and have no further need for a ventilator? From what I can see there are currently around 850 on ventilators. 1,271 deaths have been reported over the last 7 days (yes, I know that some of these deaths happened more than 7 days ago).
    The number on ventilation has been totally flat throughout, you'd think they'd at least need a period on ventilation before dying.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Because the expansion of the universe is not subject to the limitation of C; it doesn't involve bits of universe moving relative to each other at more than 300,000k/s, it's more that the kilometres themselves get bigger.

I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_the_universe
    @IshmaelZ will you be responding to the messages I sent you? Regards kjh
    CBA
    Fair enough. Doesn't say an awful lot about you though. What you typed last night was clearly incorrect and an apology is not that difficult.
    Unless I am confusing you with someone else, you are the guy who suggested that I was "believing what Leon posted" as if I am incapable of forming my own judgment based on the sources available. Either you intended to be offensive, in which case fk off, or you are too stupid to see how offensive that is, in which case also fk off.

but if you are someone else altogether then I am deeply sorry and hereby undertake never to repeat the allegations complained about from now until the last syllable of recorded time.
    I think you are confusing me with someone else as that means absolutely nothing to me. I don't even think I communicated with you on the subject. I could be wrong but I have no memory and no offence would have been meant.

I don't tend to be offensive in my posts unless I am really annoyed and I only tend to get annoyed with stupidity. I tend to agree with (to the best of my knowledge) all of your posts which I tend to enjoy. Hence my surprise at your post. If I did do it it will have been entirely unintentional. I may go back and check.

To be honest I assumed you had misinterpreted my attack on the conspiracy stuff with the Covid stuff the day before and also assumed I was of the view that a leak could not have happened. In the mass of messages that would be understandable.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

RobD said:

RobD said:

ping said:

Space itself got bigger, so nothing actually broke the speed of light. The galaxies on a balloon analogy is a good one. The galaxies themselves are at rest, but space (the balloon) is expanding.

The second question was that I'd have thought we'd be looking at the universe as it had expanded when the light was emitted, not as expanded as it is now.

But it seems like despite the light travelling towards us it is still expanding away from us as time goes on too. Despite the fact the expansion took place after the light leaving it's point of origin, which seems counterintuitive to me.
    It is because as spacetime stretches the light is stretched resulting in an increase in redness and producing what is known as a cosmological redshift.

The visible universe is about 13 billion lightyears in radius, but estimates put the actual raduis nearer 93 billion but there is disagreement on this figure because it depends on several inflationary factors.

Simpy, put, we cannot see most of the universe and we never will.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Deaths are climbing, but gradually

edited January 2022
    I think Eddie Howe might be having a lot of trouble getting through to players agents during January after that performance.....
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Cambridge United = University of Cambridge

Agreed.

Newcastle United = Oxford = Premier League
    Cambridge United = Cambridge = League One

League One is a bit too high though. Conference League at best.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    felix said:

ydoethur said:

Non league Kidderminster beating Championship Reading!

You must be Kidding.
    East Fife Four Forfar five! Latest score. :smiley:
    You sixed up this conversation with that one.

Which Russian club were Cambridge Utd spying for?
    Omnium said:

RobD said:

ping said:

There is more universe than we can see. Our "visible horizon" is not the edge of space. Think of it like standing on a hill on the Isle of Man. On the horizon you can see Scotland, Ireland, England and Wales, but there is a lot more world beyond your visible horizon.

The other point is that while nothing can travel through spacetime faster than light, spacetime itself can expand faster than light (because spacetime is stretching, not travelling through itself)
    These are big claims.

The tortoise can think whatever it likes, reality is well-known for paying no heed ;)
    Boreham Wood and Kidderminster in the Fourth Round.

Barnsley 4 Barrow 4 is the craziest result

edit, not a result yet. And there have been three goals in the last four minutes.

Yes. And Barrow 2 down at halftime and down to 10 men as well.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Anecdote time...

It was fairly quiet in Skipton today. Whether it was due to the wet weather or people keeping their heads down, who knows.

We had our dinner* at an Italian place. I opted for a festive four cheese pizza, which was topped with blobs of cranberry sauce.

*Some people may refer to this meal as 'lunch'.

dixiedean said:

Ashley out!!
    Er, hang on...
    Saudis out! Ashley in?

Can Hull now do the same against Everton 3rd team?

I see Mike Ashley is interested in buying another bankrupt business....Derby County.
    Most probably.

I think Oxford had the bigger spying issue.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/dreaming-spies-the-inside-story-of-the-kgb-at-oxford

Also, lest we forget, Oxford is the home of ISIS.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,461

Anecdote time...

It was fairly quiet in Skipton today. Whether it was due to the wet weather or people keeping their heads down, who knows.

We had our dinner* at an Italian place. I opted for a festive four cheese pizza, which was topped with blobs of cranberry sauce.

Festive pizza? I know life's a bit slow in Skipton, but surely even there they know that Christmas is over?
    RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

The number on ventilation has been totally flat throughout, you'd think they'd at least need a period on ventilation before dying.
    Not if it isn't affecting their lungs they wouldn't.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Anyone who thinks the Dems attempted a coup to overturn the 2016 election result needs the mendacious or moron test applied to anything they say.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    MrEd said:

Aslan said:

MrEd said:

Aslan said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Farooq said:

MrEd said:

Farooq said:

MrEd said:

Farooq said:

stodge said:

Farooq said:

Actually, I tried to avoid this in my longer post but I do think Trump is properly evil. It doesn't suit my argument to say it, but there we are. I wouldn't use that word for very many people. I'm struggling to think of other living politicians that it applies to. Possible Duterte, but I don't know enough about the Philippines to be sure about that.
    Obviously I'm excluding undemocratic countries here. Evil rises easier when the consent of the people is not a determinant.

I disagree.

I don't consider Trump to be "evil" - an appalling individual in many respects but his worldview is that of the American Nationalist. There's a hint of Lindbergh ("America First") and also of Nixon (only Nixon could go to China, only Trump could go to North Korea).

He represented a reversal of decades of "global" presidents going back to FDR. From FDR to Obama, all Presidents were global leaders whose primary purpose was the furthering of American values (call them "Western" if you want) and confronting the other non-American ideologies whether Communism or Islamic fundamentalism or Juche or whatever.

Trump saw (rightly you can argue) America had taken on this burden and was carrying a whole lot of other countries (the one thing Trump did get right was shaming European countries on defence spending and their contribution to NATO). Oddly enough, he chose the financial argument in terms of influence just as Thatcher did in the early 80s within the EEC,.

The other side of this was whether the approach of successive Presidents had been in any way effective either in promoting American (and by definition western) security or whether America was just pouring money down a big hole with little to show. Trump took a very different approach - he reached out personally to Putin, Xi, Kim Jong-Un and others offering the hand of economic friendship in exchange for a toning down of the confrontational rhetoric.

Voters like politicians who put their country first - it's obvious but it's worth saying. There aren't many votes in overt internationalism. Trump's failure was, I would argue, he didn't have a single tangible success to show for four years of this direction. You can argue some of what he was trying to do would take decades to come to fruition but in truth, and perhaps he was frustrated by the establishment in the State Department and elsewhere, he achieved almost nothing.
    It isn't Trump's prioritisation of America that leads me to put him in the "evil" category. You'd catch far too many people in the net doing that. It's the fact that he's a user, a bigot, a selfish, self-aggrandising fool who breaks little people on the wheel of his narcissism, a corrupt, democracy-threatening arsehole, a self-pitying, whining crybaby, a fat lump of flesh with a cruel streak as wide as the Hudson and a penchant for petty revenge. He has nothing good in his soul.
    “Let he who is without sin…”
    ...cast the first stone. I've thrown no stones, I've used words.

Or are you implying that I'm somehow just as bad? You're probably wrong, but happily I've never stood for election and have no intention of doing so. I know that every time I go to cast a ballot there are multiple people on the ticket who are better than me. I do not think Trump is better than me, though. So even if I am AS BAD as Trump, I'm better by virtue of recognising my own unsuitability for public office.
    TBH, I don’t really care. My concern is whether someone governs well, and well means a wide spectrum of affairs. Labelling people as “evil” should be reserved for those who are truly evil such as Hitler and Stalin. Otherwise it becomes cheap.
    I mean, if you'd read the whole lead up to that you'd see that I have said as much. I do not throw the word about liberally.
    It's sort of interesting that some people want to cancel the word "evil" as if humans these days are incapable of being evil any more. That can't be true. We haven't evolved past that.
    It’s a matter of opinion. I don’t see Trump as evil - he’s got mainly bad qualities but he doesn’t cross that line. Not do I see Biden as evil, even though he waved off Afghans falling to their deaths from planes “yes but that was 5 days ago.” People do distasteful things but it’s not evil.
    Biden continued Trump's plan - probably the wrong thing to do.
    Trump tried to overturn a free and fair election - as shown by the recounts and court cases. That's a coup attempt in the world's most important democracy where 5 people died.
    If that's not evil would you perhaps describe it as 'naughty'?
    The Red Mist around Trump is descending again.

My comment on Biden and Afghanistan was around his waving away of people dying in an horrific way as a minor detail. It was the behaviour one might expect of a sociopath. The wider Afghan policy is a separate issue

Re the election, I’m sure there’s an element here you’d love me to describe as a Jan 6 loving Trumpist. But, as the records on here state, I condemned both his attempts on Jan 6th and in the states, and was the first on here to flag his tactics.

FWIW though, I don’t think Jan 6th was an insurrection and neither does the FBI. No one has been charged with insurrection and treason. Trump was stupid, irresponsible and dangerously reckless but, if it was a planned coup, it was the worst one ever.

You raise an interesting point though. No losing Democratic Presidential candidate since 1988 has said they lost fair and square. Gore, Kerry, Clinton all said they were cheated. gore went to the SC, Clinton was caught on camera in 2019 for saying she was cheated out of the election. On the latter, what responsibility does she bear for contributing to the poison in the US? Or is it ok because she’s a Democrat and tried to undermine Trump by claiming he was a Russian plant as opposed to a riotous assembly?
    "if it was a planned coup, it was the worst one ever"
    It didn't succeed because one man, Mike Pence, refused to do Trump's bidding. He wanted to and consulted Dan Quayle (of all people) and was told he didn;t have any option but to do his ceremonial duty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGik9MJzcs
    Don’t get me wrong, I think if, in some parallel universe, the rioters miraculously managed to complete overturn the results, get Congress to somehow confirm Trump as President and face down the authorities, Trump would have said “no, this is wrong”. He totally would have grabbed it
    But so would have HRC in my opinion. She’s a power maniac. The fact she is even considering a 2024 run shows that. My point - again - is that grabs for power come in different forms. The view of Trump as uniquely evil is dangerous because it blinds people to others’ bad intentions and actions. Deliberately lying to get a FISA warrant to spy on your opponents campaign should be considered dangerous behaviour not overlooked because “it’s not Trump”
    One doesn't have to turn a blind eye to the actions of others, or see Trump as a unique evil, to think arguments that lean toward suggesting an equivalence are wholly wrong. There may well be a spectrum of wrong doing or ill intent, but it is surely uncontroversial to note not all will be at the same point on that spectrum. Not all will agree about Trump's place there, but those thinking he is at the very extreme end are not, by doing so, ignoring any others.

From last thread - reply to Mr Ed
    "if it was a planned coup, it was the worst one ever"
    It didn't succeed because one man, Mike Pence, refused to do Trump's bidding. He wanted to and consulted Dan Quayle (of all people) and was told he didn;t have any option but to do his ceremonial duty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIGik9MJzcs

The argument that something couldn't be planned because it didn't work is one of the weirder ones out there. The Salisbury poisonings saw that crop up. On this, events are clearly not entirely at behest of a single individual or group, things won't go exactly as they intend, but so much of the action and rhetoric leading to that potential action meant it is, I contest, unlikely the possibility was not considered.

Between Tony Blair and Jonathan Sumption, Oxford really does produce third rate jurists.

The legal analysis in Sumption's first paragraph would be liable to receive a failing grade if it appeared in a first year undergraduate law essay. Simply put, he does not acknowledge the existence of excuses in the law of criminal damage, which were argued and put to the jury.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/08/make-no-mistake-colston-four-verdict-undermined-rule-law/

https://twitter.com/StevePeers/status/1479805731733970950

Sumpton is one of those people who seems to be all over the media all of the time solely on the basis that he's a posh bloke who has opinions about things.
    He's an intelligent and usually persuasive man. But on more emotive subjects he seems to get carried away with himself, and may enjoy the limelight.
    You’re misinterpreting my point @kle4 which is not usually like you. My point is that both the losing parties in the 2016 and 2020 elections effectively instigated attempted coups to overturn or, at least, seriously damage the incumbent. Both used different means - playing up to their different strengths - but the end goal was the same.

That’s dangerous because you then fall into the “we have to destroy democracy to protect democracy” trap. What I find most fascinating - and worrying - is that no one (and I mean no one) who has commented on the argument - has seen it fit to condemn that one Presidential candidate deliberately presenting false evidence to a special court to have the FBI spy on their opponent. And nor have they said that’s a “crock of sh1t” so we can at least get into the argument of showing data sources and evidence. It’s almost as though your belief in the other side as uniquely evil means that any means, fair or foul, is legitimate.

What complete nonsense this is. The Democrats never tried to overturn the 2016 election. Much less embrace an armed, violent invasion of Congress to do so.
    Simple question - would you condemn HRC’s 2016 campaign deliberately presenting false evidence to a FISA court to have the FBI spy on their political opponent? And do you think it’s a legitimate tactic?
    What false evidence was knowingly presented?
    Several parts. Amongst others, Christopher Steele had strong evidence from multiple sources that Trump had links with the Russians when he didn’t
    Citation please.
    MrEd said:

the HRC campaign knew that

Citation please.
    MrEd said:

and that the FISA court wasn’t told that Steele was being paid by the HRC campaign to investigate Trump but instead told it was independent evidence.

Citation please.
  • MrEd said:

Not like you TSE. I thought the great mind that is yours would have been able to come up with something more original and clever than that. Too busy picking out which outfit to wear?

There's a piece coming up on PB in the next few weekends which says the events of January 6th was the equivalent of the Beer Hall Putsch and those who ignore it or downplay/defend the events of January 6th risk ensuring America experiences what happened after the Beer Hall Putsch.

And for once, the Nazi analogies hold.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/dreaming-spies-the-inside-story-of-the-kgb-at-oxford

The Oxford educated spies were clever enough not to get caught.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    And the answer can always be both.
  • RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

This is an interesting aspect. If the death rate of measuring covid is "died within 28 days of a positive test" then anyone who might have died of another cause, e.g. cancer but also coincidentally had covid at the same time this would be added to the covid tally would it not (please correct me if I am wrong)?

Surely the best way would be saying that someone died due to medical complications related primarily to Covid. This would require a little more interpretation but would give a greater level of confidence in the data
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

RobD said:

RobD said:

ping said:

It is because as spacetime stretches the light is stretched resulting in an increase in redness and producing what is known as a cosmological redshift.

The visible universe is about 13 billion lightyears in radius, but estimates put the actual raduis nearer 93 billion but there is disagreement on this figure because it depends on several inflationary factors.

Isn't 'never' wrong, depending on how the universe ends? If there is the big crunch, the universe will undergo deflation instead of inflation and we shall start to 'see' objects further away as everything contracts.

I know the 'big crunch' is believed unlikely atm, and that humanity will probably not exist by the time it happened if it did start...
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

The Oxford educated spies were clever enough not to get caught.
    Or so ineffectual that few people cared about them. ;)
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    ydoethur said:

I'm on the side of the mother.

A US teacher has been arrested after allegedly locking her Covid-positive son in a car boot to protect herself from exposure to the virus as she drove to a testing site, say local media.

A witness called police after hearing someone in the vehicle's trunk on 3 January at the site in Harris County, Texas, according to click2Houston.com.

Ms Beam said her 13-year-old son had tested positive for Covid-19 and she was taking him to the Pridgeon Stadium location for another test to confirm the result, according to local media.

She reportedly said she had placed the teenager in the car boot because she did not want to be infected herself.

Has she considered a career at the DfE?
    Genuine :lol: !!!!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

It's a funnel. Until now the number of people either dying or recovering from ventilation have been replaced by new patients requiring ventilation. What we're seeing with Omicron is that as people exit the funnel new people aren't entering at the same rate. With Delta at this level of restrictions for every 10 or 11 people who left ventilation another 10 or 11 people would require it. For Omicron it looks like for every 10 or 11 who leave around 8 or 9 enter the funnel.

That matches up with clinical data from South Africa as well. We need to see at what level the hospitalisation funnel levels out, it may already have done at around 16k in England with COVID of which 8-9k for COVID. For Alpha and no vaccines it was ~35k with lockdown with n and somewhere around 80% for COVID. For Delta with vaccines post lockdown it was about 7k in England with about 80% for COVID.

Omicron, so far, is a paper tiger. The biggest healthcare disruption has been due to isolation rules.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

RobD said:

ping said:

Relativistic speeds don't add up in that way. If you're travelling past me at 0.7c and I'm going in the opposite direction also at 0.7c, and we try to measure each other's speed, it will be less than c.
    This is pretty difficult stuff to explain even with equations, and impossible without, so I won't get into it too much, but that's the surprising step you need to come to: you can't just add them up.
  • AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Much of the Steele Dossier has been proven true, including multiple secret contacts between the Russians and the Trump campaign, Trump seeking a major real estate deal in Russia during the election, Russian meddling in the 2016 election, and payments to Michael Flynn from Moscow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/07/politics/dossier-two-years-later/index.html
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,458
    kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

kjh said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

Because the expansion of the universe is not subject to the limitation of C; it doesn't involve bits of universe moving relative to each other at more than 300,000k/s, it's more that the kilometres themselves get bigger.

I think

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_the_universe
    @IshmaelZ will you be responding to the messages I sent you? Regards kjh
    CBA
    Fair enough. Doesn't say an awful lot about you though. What you typed last night was clearly incorrect and an apology is not that difficult.
    Unless I am confusing you with someone else, you are the guy who suggested that I was "believing what Leon posted" as if I am incapable of forming my own judgment based on the sources available. Either you intended to be offensive, in which case fk off, or you are too stupid to see how offensive that is, in which case also fk off.

but if you are someone else altogether then I am deeply sorry and hereby undertake never to repeat the allegations complained about from now until the last syllable of recorded time.
    I think you are confusing me with someone else as that means absolutely nothing to me. I don't even think I communicated with you on the subject. I could be wrong but I have no memory and no offence would have been meant.

I don't tend to be offensive in my posts unless I am really annoyed and I only tend to get annoyed with stupidity. I tend to agree with (to the best of my knowledge) all of your posts which I tend to enjoy. Hence my surprise at your post. If I did do it it will have been entirely unintentional. I may go back and check.

To be honest I assumed you had misinterpreted my attack on the conspiracy stuff with the Covid stuff the day before and also assumed I was of the view that a leak could not have happened. In the mass of messages that would be understandable.
    @IshmaelZ I have looked back at my posts of that day and I can't find one to you at all. I did reference you in a post I made in support of you in a discussion you were having with MrEd but that seems to be it.

I understand you reaction if you think I offended you. I'm pretty sure I didn't though.

I'm happy to bury the hatchet. It is bad enough falling out with someone you disagree with. It would be bizarre to fall out with someone you tend to agree with.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

ping said:

The light has to pass through space, but as space is expanding it has to go a further distance than it had to when emitted.

So A->B may have only been (say) 1,000 light years when it was emitted, but the universe expanded by a factor of (say) 1,000,000 in a year (these are just made up numbers), so it now has to travel for a billion years to traverse that distance.
    That makes sense.

So it's space itself expanding, rather than the solar systems moving through space, that explains it.

Archer went to Oxford? Don't tell me, Shepard & Woodward sell tactical turtlenecks?
    ydoethur said:

I'm on the side of the mother.

Has she considered a career at the DfE?
    While heartless enough, her actions were too practical to be compatible with DfE policies and guidelines.

MrEd said:

Not like you TSE. I thought the great mind that is yours would have been able to come up with something more original and clever than that. Too busy picking out which outfit to wear?

There's a piece coming up on PB in the next few weekends which says the events of January 6th was the equivalent of the Beer Hall Putsch and those who ignore it or downplay/defend the events of January 6th risk ensuring America experiences what happened after the Beer Hall Putsch.

I would like to chip in with a dig about Trump not being able to organise a piss-up in a beer hall, but I don't want to prejudice the outcome of any articles.

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

This is an interesting aspect. If the death rate of measuring covid is "died within 28 days of a positive test" then anyone who might have died of another cause, e.g. cancer but also coincidentally had covid at the same time this would be added to the covid tally would it not (please correct me if I am wrong)?

Surely the best way would be saying that someone died due to medical complications related primarily to Covid. This would require a little more interpretation but would give a greater level of confidence in the data
    28 days was used, not because of any medical properties - other than the numbers dying with COVID and not of it, kind of balance with those who took so long to die that they were outside the 28 days.

Case of death then ends up as a bit of rabbit hole - COVID will be mentioned on death certificates, but is it the primary cause, a contributory cause, or a may have been... or what. People are arguing endlessly over individual cases.

There is no exact answer. All the statistics are approximate when you dig into them. 28 days is a pretty useful approximation.

Anecdote time...

I’m not sure I’d refer to it as a meal at all….

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

ping said:

The light has to pass through space, but as space is expanding it has to go a further distance than it had to when emitted.

So A->B may have only been (say) 1,000 light years when it was emitted, but the universe expanded by a factor of (say) 1,000,000 in a year (these are just made up numbers), so it now has to travel for a billion years to traverse that distance.
    That makes sense.

So it's space itself expanding, rather than the solar systems moving through space, that explains it.
    Yes, and this is why more distant galaxies are red-shifted further than nearer ones.
    The naive (wrong) view is they are the outer shell of an explosion and we are at the centre, and they are farther way because they are moving faster. But it turns out there is no centre and it's all down to there being more space in between and space expanding. The longer light has to travel to start with, the more gets added onto its track as it travels.
    There's a limit distance beyond which light can never reach, because by the time it's travelled the original distance, just as much or more has been added. It's pretty wild out there for the unwary traveller.
  • Roundish numbers are very exciting

Covid: UK records more than 150,000 deaths
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Anecdote time...

Luncheon, please.
    One of the consolation of the Ashes is that it’s giving rise to some quite good commentary.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jan/08/the-ballad-of-jack-leach-a-leaf-blown-along-the-road-and-into-the-ashes
    The ballad of Jack Leach is a fascinating tale. He isn’t exactly a victim – Leach has his first central contract now of an up-and-down career – more a leaf blown along the road, tossed in the to-and-fro conflicting winds, manfully clinging to his path. He took 28 wickets in six Tests in Galle, Ahmedabad and Chennai in spring and was then dropped for the entire summer.

This is the level of deep thought in England’s brains trust. We’re going to play this bloke in the Ashes. Let’s leave him out for nine months.

Instead Leach bowled 29 Championship overs between 25 April and 11 July, then didn’t bowl again until the end of August, then didn’t bowl between 22 September and just before lunch at the Gabba when his captain decided this was the ideal moment to shove him down the mountain and see if he was ready for the black run…

… There were some other good things on the fourth day for England. Ollie Pope’s wicket-keeping was lithe and limber. There was even something refreshing in the sound of his eager, piping chat, a pleasant change from the silent sadness of Jos Buttler, who crouches for every ball with the look of a laudanum-addled poet splayed in his garret composing his latest ode to death.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited January 2022

Archer went to Oxford? Don't tell me, Shepard & Woodward sell tactical turtlenecks?
    I thought it was Oxford Teacher Training College or similar? Wasn't the only thing he did at the Uni was hang around after Mary?

Or am I being unkind?
    edited January 2022
    Hull city ahead.....

RobD said:

RobD said:

ping said:

Isn't 'never' wrong, depending on how the universe ends? If there is the big crunch, the universe will undergo deflation instead of inflation and we shall start to 'see' objects further away as everything contracts.

I know the 'big crunch' is believed unlikely atm, and that humanity will probably not exist by the time it happened if it did start...
    It is likely that when the big crunch happens, the star burning phase will be over and the universe will be dark

Move along, nothing to see (with) ;)

MrEd said:

I’ll be interested in that. Is there any opportunity to put a counter-piece into that or you are only allowed to write pieces that toe the accepted wisdom?
  • RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

28 days was used, not because of any medical properties - other than the numbers dying with COVID and not of it, kind of balance with those who took so long to die that they were outside the 28 days.

Case of death then ends up as a bit of rabbit hole - COVID will be mentioned on death certificates, but is it the primary cause, a contributory cause, or a may have been... or what. People are arguing endlessly over individual cases.

There is no exact answer. All the statistics are approximate when you dig into them. 28 days is a pretty useful approximation.
    Indeed, but if we get to a situation where Omicron infects huge numbers of people there are going to be a large number of people who will become part of the statistic. If I had had a tachycardia unrelated to covid when I had the pox, and had been submitted to hospital and then subsequently went to sing with the choir invisible then I would be one of the statistics even though my demise had nothing to do with the plague!
  • MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I’ll be interested in that. Is there any opportunity to put a counter-piece into that or you are only allowed to write pieces that toe the accepted wisdom?
    You've had pieces published before so you already know the answer to that.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

Omnium said:

RobD said:

ping said:

These are big claims.

The tortoise can think whatever it likes, reality is well-known for paying no heed ;)
    In any case, it is well known that Great A'Tuin, the World Turtle, of the species Chelys galactica, is the gigantic turtle upon whose back the Discworld is carried through space. If we are far enough away from it, it wil indeed be travelling FTL in the special sense that spacetime is expanding. Though not really, when you get up close to it. Just to mess with BR's mind some more.

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Indeed, but if we get to a situation where Omicron infects huge numbers of people there are going to be a large number of people who will become part of the statistic. If I had had a tachycardia unrelated to covid when I had the pox, and had been submitted to hospital and then subsequently went to sing with the choir invisible then I would be one of the statistics even though my demise had nothing to do with the plague!
    Yes, in the last 28 days something like 20% of Londoners have tested positive for COVID.
  • MaxPB said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Yes, in the last 28 days something like 20% of Londoners have tested positive for COVID.
    The concern therefore is that those in in favour of greater restrictions will point to the "deaths within 28 days of a positive test" even though it is an unreliable stat.
  • Hull city ahead.....

Tuned in and it is Swansea v Southampton in an empty stadium via Drakeford's diktat

Tuned into BBC London just as Hull scored with lots of happy supporters enjoying a traditional cup tie

Drakeford is being shown up for his draconian controlling attitude
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149

I thought it was Oxford Teacher Training College or similar? Wasn't the only thing he did at the Uni was hang around after Mary?

Or am I being unkind?
    Bit unkind; he ran around a lot, not all of it after the fragrant lady. But not an undergraduate degree (BA/BSc level). Don't think he had one? DipEd Oxon. Wiki has a nice deadpan: "Although the diploma course only lasted a year, Archer spent a total of three years at Oxford.[4] The reasons for this are unclear."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/19/archer.politics2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer#Oxford
    edited January 2022

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

The concern therefore is that those in in favour of greater restrictions will point to the "deaths within 28 days of a positive test" even though it is an unreliable stat.
    There looked to have been a bit of a decoupling of the ONS series and the dashboard stats for week before Xmas. We'll have to rely on the backwards looking data for a while IMO, same as the with/for hospitalisation report we get on Fridays.
    Aslan said:

Much of the Steele Dossier has been proven true, including multiple secret contacts between the Russians and the Trump campaign, Trump seeking a major real estate deal in Russia during the election, Russian meddling in the 2016 election, and payments to Michael Flynn from Moscow.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/07/politics/dossier-two-years-later/index.html

Dear Oh Lord. Was that a research fail on your part or were you trying to deliberately mislead people who would just accept your words without checking the link.

First of all, it’s CNN, which is not exactly the most unbiased of sources (and if you think CNN is neutral, well…). Second, it’s dated January 2019 - guess what, a lot has happened since then…

Have you heard of the Dunham Special Counsel investigation and what’s been happening. Here’s some links - they are not CNN and they are not Fox.

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/580391-durhams-latest-indictment-more-lines-drawn-to-clintons-campaign?amp

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/11/04/igor-danchenko-arrested-as-part-of-durham-investigation/

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

There aren't going to be further restrictions.
    Leave it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Deaths where covid is mentioned on the death certificate exceed deaths within 28 days of diagnosis.
    There are more deaths involving Covid that occur after 28 days than "coincidental" Covid deaths, and I'm afraid it boils my piss that this is never ever ever mentioned by anyone ever.
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Good God, you're such a snivelling wretch.
    Streeting flying it that Labour will mostly be Tories, What a,
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Hull city ahead.....

Tuned in and it is Swansea v Southampton in an empty stadium via Drakeford's diktat

Tuned into BBC London just as Hull scored with lots of happy supporters enjoying a traditional cup tie

Well he’s happily doubled down and criticised the Johnson govt approach.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59895505
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,089
    Evening all.

Quite an interesting interview with Wes Streeting on R4 on Political Thinking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qmsh6

Hull city ahead.....

A traditional cup tie implies some form of contest.
  • Why is it any of his business? Maybe it is but he doesn't wish to declare it? It is not a farce. Djokovic almost certainly tried to cheat the system and thought he got away with it. The more the Aussies make an example of the idiot the better and the more Farage identifies with anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, Trumpians flat earthers etc. the more he is revealed to people for the complete halfwit that he is.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Replace Novax with an migrant from Calais and tell me he’s still taking sense.
  • Christ Everton are shit aren't they.
  • dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

There aren't going to be further restrictions.
    Leave it.
    People who believe in certainties in this uncertain world are nearly always disappointed. I nonetheless hope you are right, but whether I "leave it" will be for me to decide thanks.
    Farooq said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I always think those who pass moral judgements quickly and easily are just boring, sad c*nts who, if they are male, probably have a 3 inch cock. So far, you are doing nothing to disabuse me of such views.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Omnium said:

What?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Alistair said:

Anyone who thinks the Dems attempted a coup to overturn the 2016 election result needs the mendacious or moron test applied to anything they say.

And moron can be safely ruled out. There are no morons on a site where more people than not understand how spacetime struts its stuff!
  • Christ Everton are shit aren't they.

Worse than that, they are expensively shit.

Klopp became manager of Liverpool the same season Moshiri became Everton owner, I think Everton have outspent Liverpool in that period.
  • Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Deaths where covid is mentioned on the death certificate exceed deaths within 28 days of diagnosis.
    There are more deaths involving Covid that occur after 28 days than "coincidental" Covid deaths, and I'm afraid it boils my piss that this is never ever ever mentioned by anyone ever.
    Deaths where Covid is mentioned on the death certificate include many deaths of natural causes where the person concerned happened to have Covid and get it mentioned. Those are as equally deaths with Covid instead of deaths caused by Covid. Even just on this site we have multiple people who have relatives who've passed with Covid that have been upset at Covid being named.on the death certificate when it was entirely incidental and it was eg cancer that caused the death.

The most reliable stat is excess deaths and last I saw deaths within 28 days and death certificate mentions both exceed excess deaths. So yes we are overcounting deaths. Whereas in almost every other country without our level of testing the excess deaths exceed deaths within 28 days so they're undercounting them.

So if your piss is boiled then take it up with yourself. Because the fact is (unless the excess deaths thing has changed since I last saw it) we ARE overcounting deaths. Whether you like it or not.
  • dixiedean said:

Hull city ahead.....

A traditional cup tie implies some form of contest.
    Just equalised
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Are their samples being sent to Belgrade for analysis?
    Carnyx said:

Or am I being unkind?
    Bit unkind; he ran around a lot, not all of it after the fragrant lady. But not an undergraduate degree (BA/BSc level). Don't think he had one? DipEd Oxon. Wiki has a nice deadpan: "Although the diploma course only lasted a year, Archer spent a total of three years at Oxford.[4] The reasons for this are unclear."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/19/archer.politics2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Archer#Oxford
    This Archer - https://archer.fandom.com/wiki/ISIS
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674

*🐎

I would have been better betting on pond life today.

Malcs early strike, again doesn’t go winless. And two seconds Malc, do you get anything for them?

No unfortunately it was win Trixie and my single was on Gaulliose. Not a penny back today.
  • Always said Everton were looking like a premier league team.....

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

You've had pieces published before so you already know the answer to that.
    Perhaps on not so controversial a point as this though. That’s the difference.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

There looked to have been a bit of a decoupling of the ONS series and the dashboard stats for week before Xmas. We'll have to rely on the backwards looking data for a while IMO, same as the with/for hospitalisation report we get on Fridays.
    Interesting. IIRC if someone tragically dies when they have HIV/AIDS it is described as a result of complications brought on by HIV/AIDS. One would have thought that a causal link diagnosis could be applied.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,089
    edited January 2022
    MattW said:

Evening all.

Quite an interesting interview with Wes Streeting on R4 on Political Thinking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08qmsh6

Very interesting on LGBT at the end], especially as a former Head of Education for Stonewall.
    MrEd said:

Farooq said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I always think those who pass moral judgements quickly and easily are just boring, sad c*nts who, if they are male, probably have a 3 inch cock. So far, you are doing nothing to disabuse me of such views.
    I'll have you know it's 3.2 inches so there.

But cut your pre-emptive whining and pen your own article ready. I'm sure we'll all glory in the swinging, musky, 4 inch manliness of your writing. I for one can hardly contain my excitement.
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

What?
    Indeed. Ghastly.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,163
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

You really are eager to earn your keep.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Anecdote time...

Festive pizza? I know life's a bit slow in Skipton, but surely even there they know that Christmas is over?
    Orthodox Christmas was yesterday so today is Boxing Day for Novak. Will he be tucking into a turkey sandwich?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

Hull city ahead.....

Chesterfield COVID super spreader event as 6,000 headed to Stamford Bridge for their likely thrashing at the hands of Chelsea.

I have been very ill since Tuesday and was confirmed as COVID on Thursday via LFT and follow up PCR.

• eek said:

Replace Novax with an migrant from Calais and tell me he’s still taking sense.
    Apologists for that nasty little Putin sympathising fascist always claim he is "talking sense"!
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

BigRich said:

06/01 16,058
    07/01 16,163
    08/01 16,034

Which is why

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-daily_deaths_with_covid-19_on_the_death_certificate_by_date_of_death

exists. It's much more delayed in reporting (obviously), but you can compare it with

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths#card-deaths_within_28_days_of_positive_test_by_date_of_death

and look at the differences.

kinabalu said:

Alistair said:

And moron can be safely ruled out. There are no morons on a site where more people than not understand how spacetime struts its stuff!
    Well, Kinabalu, you were pontificating this week about how we could not say the Coulston defendants had committed criminal damage because they had been acquitted of the charges.

Since the FBI has not charged anyone with sedition or insurrection, then surely the Jan 6 rioters cannot be accused of sedition and insurrection either if you would apply your own standards to another case? Or that doesn’t work if it doesn’t fit with your views……
This discussion has been closed.