Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson needs another string to his bow than vaccines – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

ONS reckons London's peaked klaxon.
    https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1478739628735803398?s=20

I remain cautious, due to the number of people who will have headed out of London to visit "home" for Christmas.

Well, according to tat graph it peaked on the 25th Dec, I don't think many people will be leaving London on the 26th. but we will see.

Are there ONS graphs like that of the rest of the country?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile in France, also in an election year, Macron says he will 'piss off' the unvaccinated and prevent them going to a restaurant, having a coffee or going to the theatre or cinema
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59873833

God I wish I was French, I would love to be in a country run by somebody committed to pissing of the unvaccinated.
    The French are also cracking down on mopeds/motorbikes with altered exhausts designed to make them louder. This may ruin @Dura_Ace’s next trip to his holiday home, but then he’s unvaxxed so he’s not going anyway

Why can’t we do this in the UK? These bikes are a fucking menace to human sanity
    Not just humans, I'll add. They scare pets and livestock, too.
    They’re hideous. They make me murderously angry. Lots in north London

But also lots in the countryside and lots across mainland Europe. Ban them
    Agreed. It's not a big problem where I currently live -- rural -- but I know that other rural areas do have the problem. I also lived in a city for a while where it was a major issue.
    I have a theory that the noise triggers something primal; a loud animal roar nearby ought to make you produce a shot of adrenaline so you're ready to outrun your fellow tribesfolk and not be eaten by the nearby predator. That's going to cause stress. I'll bet it tips some people into strokes and heart attacks.
    If it were me in charge, I'd crush such vehicles into a small shiny cube. possibly with the drivers still on board.
    Yes, it definitely triggers fight/flight. I get the literal urge to stab the drivers when they race down my road, especially at 3am. And it’s not particularly common here, whereas it is elsewhere

I read a news report a few weeks back where a guy was so outraged by his neighbour’s bikes - which had these exhausts - he went round and stabbed the bloke to death

My reaction to the story was ambivalent

Car and burglar alarms that go off for no reason and trucks bleeping when they reverse are also infuriating.
    The trucks beeping in reverse, is a regulation written in blood.

Car alarms I agree though, so many false negatives that a thief probably has the neighbours telling him to go away in the car.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited January 2022

Lord Ahmed: Former peer guilty of trying to rape girl

A former Labour peer has been found guilty of trying to rape a girl when he was a teenager in the 1970s. Lord Ahmed of Rotherham was also convicted of a serious sexual assault against a boy during the same period.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-59607283

Surprised the Mail isn’t all over this. Can’t see anything on their website.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Mr. Eagles, while I also prefer Federer, just wondering why you dislike Djokovic so much (I agree he's a dick)?

He's an antivaxxer.
    Is he though? I thought he just refused to disclose his vaccination status?
    From July 2020.

In an unexpected admission on Sunday night, world No 1 Novak Djokovic said that he does not believe in vaccines, and would be reluctant to take one for Covid-19.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2020/04/20/opposition-coronavirus-vaccination-could-stopnovak-djokovics/
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,940
    Conversely, I always had much more luck with Tory girls.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited January 2022

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

Boris fancies the arse off Angela, doesn't he? Hard to watch :s

Eew. I won't try to watch. Is it reciprocated?
    I think not.
    Lefty girls love right wingers, speaking from experience.
    Really? More power to your – er – elbow.
    My wife would be classed as a communist in Switzerland, though maybe just a standard lefty over here. She tried to keep my right wingery a secret from her friends for a few months when we started dating as well lol, then she blamed it on our age gap and that being right wing in the UK is like being in the centre in Switzerland. However she rationalised it we're still together 8 (almost 9 now!) years later, and married!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,550

kinabalu said:

Supper is the one that screams privilege.

Either that, or you’re in a painting by Leonardo.

Interesting few posts. As far as I'm concerned the three main meals of the day are breakfast, dinner and tea. Supper is a light snack you might have not too long before bed. Anyone who has differing nomenclature to that outlined above is a barbarian.

And 'scone' rhymes with 'moan'.

So there.
    Yep, I'm from up there and it was that. 'Lunch' had meaning only if attached to 'picnic'. I used to 'go home for dinner' rather than have it at school and when I got home at the end of the day I'd be asking "what's for tea?" (to which the answer was usually crispy pancakes and chips). Supper would then be, eg, cornflakes just before bed. Breakfast would also likely have been cornflakes. Cornflakes thus bookending the day.

I've lost all of that now though. Now it's breakfast, lunch, dinner, with supper just not a word.
    Enjoyed this discussion! With my odd background (English southern upper-class dad, Russian-born mum), we had variations - the third course of a meal was always the "sweet" (never pudding), and the evening meal was supper if it was just us but the more formal-sounding dinner if we were having people round (as in "Guess who's coming to dinner", the Poitier film that now seems weirdly quaint for other reasons). Grandparents had pet names like everyone in the family - Zebra, Lion, etc. - as part of the general lack of ranking/authority in the family: the underlying philosophy was that we were all in it together (e.g. I was a co-signatory with equal rights on the joint family bank account as soon as it was legal, at 18).

As others have said, the thing that jumps out is how people tribalise words - it obviously doesn't matter if one calls a meal supper, tea, or dinner, but it was a signal of class and region. As people move around and absorb usage on TV, the differences have mostly melted to some extent, but it's surprising how much they're still around.
    Another example is whether to use "have you got", "do you have", or "have you".
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    My wife would be classed as a communist in Switzerland, though maybe just a standard lefty over here. She tried to keep my right wingery a secret from her friends for a few months when we started dating as well lol, then she blamed it on our age gap and that being right wing in the UK is like being in the centre in Switzerland. However she rationalised it we're still together 8 years later, and married!
    That's nothing, I married a plastic Scouser, cannot get more leftie than that.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,024
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Of course they do

As P J O'Rourke memorably said, "no woman ever got turned on by a man dressed as a liberal"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    My wife would be classed as a communist in Switzerland, though maybe just a standard lefty over here. She tried to keep my right wingery a secret from her friends for a few months when we started dating as well lol, then she blamed it on our age gap and that being right wing in the UK is like being in the centre in Switzerland. However she rationalised it we're still together 8 (almost 9 now!) years later, and married!
    Ha ha, good for you. Nothing wrong with cross-partisan relationships – they can keep the spark going at the very least. Quite commonplace in this country, in my experience.
  • Options

That was a very enjoyable PMQs

Too busy to watch but have had a scan read of the web. Have I got it right that Peppa's response to the growing energy bills crisis is to call it "balls" because there actually isn't a crisis actually?

If I've followed that correctly I can't see how that strategy will last very long.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Meanwhile in France, also in an election year, Macron says he will 'piss off' the unvaccinated and prevent them going to a restaurant, having a coffee or going to the theatre or cinema

God I wish I was French, I would love to be in a country run by somebody committed to pissing of the unvaccinated.
    The French are also cracking down on mopeds/motorbikes with altered exhausts designed to make them louder. This may ruin @Dura_Ace’s next trip to his holiday home, but then he’s unvaxxed so he’s not going anyway

Why can’t we do this in the UK? These bikes are a fucking menace to human sanity

Agreed. It's not a big problem where I currently live -- rural -- but I know that other rural areas do have the problem. I also lived in a city for a while where it was a major issue.
    I have a theory that the noise triggers something primal; a loud animal roar nearby ought to make you produce a shot of adrenaline so you're ready to outrun your fellow tribesfolk and not be eaten by the nearby predator. That's going to cause stress. I'll bet it tips some people into strokes and heart attacks.
    If it were me in charge, I'd crush such vehicles into a small shiny cube. possibly with the drivers still on board.
    Yes, it definitely triggers fight/flight. I get the literal urge to stab the drivers when they race down my road, especially at 3am. And it’s not particularly common here, whereas it is elsewhere

I read a news report a few weeks back where a guy was so outraged by his neighbour’s bikes - which had these exhausts - he went round and stabbed the bloke to death

Car and burglar alarms that go off for no reason and trucks bleeping when they reverse are also infuriating.

Car alarms I agree though, so many false negatives that a thief probably has the neighbours telling him to go away in the car.
    I tell you what does need more beeping.

Electric vehicles, in the last few years I've been run over by them several times because the buggers are so quiet.

Which is why I constantly play loud music in my EVs, to warn people that I'm about.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Best news I've heard today. The difference between here and France is that the noisiest ones there are the small ones. Here they're the fast ones so at least it's over quickly.
  • Options
    Also Sylvia Plath, in her famous poem Daddy:

"Every woman adores a Fascist,
    The boot in the face, the brute
    Brute heart of a brute like you."

Allegedly speaking of her German father, but almost certainly addressed - as well - to her then-estranged husband Ted Hughes, who was really quite right wing (like many poets), and with whom she had a bit of a BDSM thing going on
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kinabalu said:

Interesting few posts. As far as I'm concerned the three main meals of the day are breakfast, dinner and tea. Supper is a light snack you might have not too long before bed. Anyone who has differing nomenclature to that outlined above is a barbarian.

So there.
    Yep, I'm from up there and it was that. 'Lunch' had meaning only if attached to 'picnic'. I used to 'go home for dinner' rather than have it at school and when I got home at the end of the day I'd be asking "what's for tea?" (to which the answer was usually crispy pancakes and chips). Supper would then be, eg, cornflakes just before bed. Breakfast would also likely have been cornflakes. Cornflakes thus bookending the day.

I've lost all of that now though. Now it's breakfast, lunch, dinner, with supper just not a word.
    Enjoyed this discussion! With my odd background (English southern upper-class dad, Russian-born mum), we had variations - the third course of a meal was always the "sweet" (never pudding), and the evening meal was supper if it was just us but the more formal-sounding dinner if we were having people round (as in "Guess who's coming to dinner", the Poitier film that now seems weirdly quaint for other reasons). Grandparents had pet names like everyone in the family - Zebra, Lion, etc. - as part of the general lack of ranking/authority in the family: the underlying philosophy was that we were all in it together (e.g. I was a co-signatory with equal rights on the joint family bank account as soon as it was legal, at 18).

As others have said, the thing that jumps out is how people tribalise words - it obviously doesn't matter if one calls a meal supper, tea, or dinner, but it was a signal of class and region. As people move around and absorb usage on TV, the differences have mostly melted to some extent, but it's surprising how much they're still around.
    My parents are pretty posh so it was always "supper" at home. My wife's family are immigrants and she grew up mostly in the East Midlands and called it "tea". Now we both call it "dinner". My wife still takes the piss out of me for calling my parents "mummy" and "daddy".
    I grew up in an "aspirant" WWC family in SW London / NE Surrey, (Kingston, so red London buses, Met Police and 01 phone number, but Surrey postal address and postcode) and for us it was breakfast then dinner then tea (no supper). But then at some point, maybe around 1980, I don't really recall, we switched to breakfast then lunch then dinner (still no supper). I blame Thatcher, probably.
  • Options

Too busy to watch but have had a scan read of the web. Have I got it right that Peppa's response to the growing energy bills crisis is to call it "balls" because there actually isn't a crisis actually?

If I've followed that correctly I can't see how that strategy will last very long.
    I thought that Boris v Rayner had energy, if you excuse the pun, and really showed just how boring and grey Starmer is

His 'balls' reference was to Ed Davey and was amusing
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,096
    rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

So there.

My parents are pretty posh so it was always "supper" at home. My wife's family are immigrants and she grew up mostly in the East Midlands and called it "tea". Now we both call it "dinner". My wife still takes the piss out of me for calling my parents "mummy" and "daddy".
    I grew up in an "aspirant" WWC family in SW London / NE Surrey, (Kingston, so red London buses, Met Police and 01 phone number, but Surrey postal address and postcode) and for us it was breakfast then dinner then tea (no supper). But then at some point, maybe around 1980, I don't really recall, we switched to breakfast then lunch then dinner (still no supper). I blame Thatcher, probably.
    It can usually be blamed on Thatcha.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    My wife would be classed as a communist in Switzerland, though maybe just a standard lefty over here. She tried to keep my right wingery a secret from her friends for a few months when we started dating as well lol, then she blamed it on our age gap and that being right wing in the UK is like being in the centre in Switzerland. However she rationalised it we're still together 8 years later, and married!
    Yes, my ex-gf was a northern working class radical lefty feminist, she's a HR director at a giant tech company these days from what I've heard and married to a zillionaire hedgie.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Of course they do

As P J O'Rourke memorably said, "no woman ever got turned on by a man dressed as a liberal"
    Absolutely. Right wingers certainly tend to look better with their clothes on.
  • Options

rpjs said:

kinabalu said:

So there.

It can usually be blamed on Thatcha.
    I think the canonical form is "Fatcha"
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    I noticed/benefited for that a few times in my younger days, strange phenomenon. sadly however, after converting to libertarianism I didn't find it has the same appeal.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,577

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Electric vehicles, in the last few years I've been run over by them several times because the buggers are so quiet.

Which is why I constantly play loud music in my EVs, to warn people that I'm about.
    Odd, I can hear EVs from a long way away but perhaps it's a question of pitch. They either emit a high pitched "eeee" (Teslas, Priuses, Leafs (leaves?)) or a ghostly moan (Zoes). So if your hearing is more attuned to lower notes perhaps they are less noticeable.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Actually run over? Several times? Are you a Crossy Road avatar?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Odd, I can hear EVs from a long way away but perhaps it's a question of pitch. They either emit a high pitched "eeee" (Teslas, Priuses, Leafs (leaves?)) or a ghostly moan (Zoes). So if your hearing is more attuned to lower notes perhaps they are less noticeable.
    Interesting. I wonder if the young designers have even thought about the deaf. Fully won't make a difference, but the partly and incipiently deaf with hearing loss in part of the spectrum would be a real issue. And that could cover a lot of us esp the older ones.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,426
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Yes, my ex-gf was a northern working class radical lefty feminist, she's a HR director at a giant tech company these days from what I've heard and married to a zillionaire hedgie.
    Starting to sound to me more like right wingers love lefty girls, judging from your experience :wink:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Ha ha, good for you. Nothing wrong with cross-partisan relationships – they can keep the spark going at the very least. Quite commonplace in this country, in my experience.
    Me and my Leftie friends at Uni used to talk about various posh/Tory women who we would sleep with "for the revolution." But to the best of my knowledge none of these revolutionary acts ever occurred.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Guess who has just tweeted this ?

The UKHSA has announced that confirmatory PCR tests will no longer be available for those who test positive on an LFT test without symptoms, raising fears of staff shortages being exacerbated by false positives.

No peeking..
  • Options
    Some really grim stories coming out of Xian. And in "state" media:

"Xian updates Covid-19 rules as two unborn babies lost to hospital delays

Video posted on social media showed bloodied eight-months pregnant woman waiting outside a hospital for two hours as her Covid-19 test was invalid

A second woman miscarried and had to undergo an abortion after multiple hospitals refused entry over technicalities"

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3162270/xian-updates-covid-19-rules-two-unborn-babies-lost-hospital?utm_source=rss_feed

I've seen that video - I linked to it here, a couple of days ago - interesting to see that it is real. Also, desperately sad

At some point these stories will surely harm the CCP?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited January 2022

I thought that Boris v Rayner had energy, if you excuse the pun, and really showed just how boring and grey Starmer is

His 'balls' reference was to Ed Davey and was amusing
    At this moment, which of the following individuals do you think would be the better Prime Minister for the United Kingdom? (20 Dec):

Boris Johnson: 39%
    Angela Rayner: 23%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1473007807989526528?s=20

At this moment, which of the following individuals do you think would be the better PM for the UK? (20 Dec)

Keir Starmer: 35%
    Boris Johnson: 34%

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1472992707501080581?s=20

No wonder Boris loves Rayner!

• Options
    edited January 2022

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    My other half - abolition of the monarchy (Though she has time for the current queen) ; maximum wage...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,956

I wonder if Yvette could convince Ed to do a quick explainer video for someone like Martin Lewis or the One Show...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,127
    Pulpstar said:

The UKHSA has announced that confirmatory PCR tests will no longer be available for those who test positive on an LFT test without symptoms, raising fears of staff shortages being exacerbated by false positives.

No peeking..

Probably not "POLITICSFORALL"
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Actually run over? Several times? Are you a Crossy Road avatar?
    Ooops, I forgot to add a nearly in there.
  • Options
    Italy considers making COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for everyone age 50 and older - ANSA
  • Options
    Naughty of Angela Rayner to use a bogus point of order to expose Boris's fibs at PMQs.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited January 2022
    Pulpstar said:

No peeking..

Pagel?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No peeking..

Sounds like Oxford University's finest, Toby Young?
  • Options

Italy considers making COVID-19 vaccination mandatory for everyone age 50 and older - ANSA

How do you do that? Fines for refuseniks? Actually go into people's homes, pin them to the pasta maker, and jab them?
  • Options
    Leon said:

How do you do that? Fines for refuseniks? Actually go into people's homes, pin them to the pasta maker, and jab them?
    Exile them all to the Island of Elba?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

does that mean Boris improved his performance?
  • Options
    Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Starting to sound to me more like right wingers love lefty girls, judging from your experience :wink:
    No doubt! Possibly something to do with enjoying the being challenged. Why marry someone who only every agrees with you about everything? Seems boring to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

"Exile them all to the Island of Elba?"

Able was I [to get jabbed} ere I saw Elba

Elba is actually lovely. I could quite happily be exiled there
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Best news I've heard today. The difference between here and France is that the noisiest ones there are the small ones. Here they're the fast ones so at least it's over quickly.
    They're a real problem here in the NYC tri-state area, along with unlicenced dirt bikes and quad bikes that assholes ride in convoy ignoring red lights and other traffic laws (we once got bracketed by a bunch of them on I-95, which was pretty scary). Both the unlicenced (obvs) bikes and the exhaust mods to make them louder are illegal, but apart from the occasional one-off "crackdown" ordered from above when the public is getting especially pissed off with them, the NYPD does bugger-all. Possibly that's because some of the offenders are NYPD officers themselves.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    My other half - abolition of the monarchy (Though she has time for the current queen) ; maximum wage...
    Mine votes LD half the time
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    No doubt! Possibly something to do with enjoying the being challenged. Why marry someone who only every agrees with you about everything? Seems boring to me.
    I think most people aren't on the political extremes and disagreeing on some issues makes for conversation. Also, its shown in the data, women in general look to date "across and up" the socio-economic scale. As women are increasingly better educated than men and with that much more success, swampy fighting the man isn't exactly top of their desirable list.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,538
    Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

We could have a whip round? :)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

Please! I'm of an age when spending my twilight years sipping Tuscan wine on a balcony in Elba is IMMENSELY APPEALING

• Options
    Talking of High Priestess Pagel, I made the mistake of looking at her Twitter feed yesterday.

The absolute state of the replies to her tweets. She is like a cult leader seemingly, I could barely believe that some of her devotees were real. Maybe they aren't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    One thing that I don't get is the seeming recent trend to date solely with people that share your political views. I'd place it about 200th in terms of stuff I look for in a potential partner - but for a subset (Mainly on the hard left I think) it is near the top !
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,330
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting. I wonder if the young designers have even thought about the deaf. Fully won't make a difference, but the partly and incipiently deaf with hearing loss in part of the spectrum would be a real issue. And that could cover a lot of us esp the older ones.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/1/20676854/electric-cars-artificial-safety-noise-low-speeds-european-union-rules-2019-2021

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/28/17059694/hybrid-ev-car-noise-nhtsa-nissan
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

Please! I'm of an age when spending my twilight years sipping Tuscan wine on a balcony in Elba is IMMENSELY APPEALING

Or we could send you to St Helena instead?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/1/20676854/electric-cars-artificial-safety-noise-low-speeds-european-union-rules-2019-2021

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only who has this issue with EVs.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

Elba isn't big enough for all the SeanTs - it would tip over and sink.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

Or we could send you to St Helena instead?
    St Helens would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    One thing that I don't get is the seeming recent trend to date solely with people that share your political views. I'd place it about 200th in terms of stuff I look for in a potential partner - but for a subset (Mainly on the hard left I think) it is near the top !
    Or is it just a noisy minority on the social media machine, who proclaim people who don't share their exact ideology are nazis or commies?
  • Options
    2024 Presidential Election Hypothetical Voting Intention (18 Dec):

Donald Trump: 44% (+2)
    Joe Biden: 38% (–)
    Don't know: 12% (-4)
    https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1473699912885977088?s=20

8% of 2020 Biden voters would now vote for Trump in 2024
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

And the whipping?
  • Options

Talking of High Priestess Pagel, I made the mistake of looking at her Twitter feed yesterday.

The absolute state of the replies to her tweets. She is like a cult leader seemingly, I could barely believe that some of her devotees were real. Maybe they aren't.

sadly I think they are real. :(
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    HYUFD said:

But neither will be on the ballot so this is the ultimate hypothetical.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,893

Wowsa. If you're getting those kind of replies, no wonder you completely lose perspective on the real world.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Yep. I don't think I've dated anyone particularly right wing (many people I dated were to the left of me) but that was mainly because I met my wife while in my 20s and you don't tend to meet a whole lot of right-wing people in their 20s, particularly women and particularly if you've gone the university route, perhaps. Although there were people I dated with whom I never discussed politics, so who knows?

My wife is a little to the right of me, I'd say, but probably not by much. Basing that mainly on her voting for Cameron, I think, in 2015.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    HYUFD said:

The way the polls are in the US in general doesn't seem to get much mention these days, oddly.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    It is a major issue, especially in America. Surveys show many many Dems would simply not consider a Republican partner. The Republicans are more tolerant, but also becoming more polarised

Yet another warning signal for the USA

Coincidentally last night I read a brilliant short book about Why Civilisations Collapse. Immoderate Greatness. I recommend it to all interested PBers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Immoderate-Greatness-Why-Civilizations-Fail/dp/1479243140

The auguries for America and the wider West are really not good. We are exhibiting all the major signs of terminal decline; America is just ahead of the western pack
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Headline Figures - 194,747 cases, 334 deaths

England patients admitted 2,219
    People ventilation beds 769
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

But neither will be on the ballot so this is the ultimate hypothetical.
    Mind you Harris has an even lower approval rating on this poll than Biden, so the Democrats likely need a younger, centrist candidate like Buttigieg to have a chance to keep Trump from returning to the Oval Office in 3 years time
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Or is it just a noisy minority on the social media machine, who proclaim people who don't share their exact ideology are nazis or commies?
    No. It is 7 in 10 Democrats

"Most Democrats who are looking for a relationship would not consider dating a Trump voter"

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/04/24/most-democrats-who-are-looking-for-a-relationship-would-not-consider-dating-a-trump-voter/
  • Options
    194,747 2258 admissions 334 deaths
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

On the plus side, it might make more people actually look before wandering out into the road. I've had a few near misses on my bike from people not bothering to actually look if they can't hear a car approaching.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.
    Even being married to someone with broadly similar political opinions, I'm not sure that running out of things to disagree about is top of my list of concerns...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,663

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Mm, thanks. Wonder if the UK will now permit INTENSELY ANNOYING SCOOTER EXHAUST option?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.

"Most Democrats who are looking for a relationship would not consider dating a Trump voter"

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/04/24/most-democrats-who-are-looking-for-a-relationship-would-not-consider-dating-a-trump-voter/
    Albeit if you live in New York city, Boston, urban California or DC or Chicago you would be lucky to find a Trump voter anyway
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.

That America, they are bonkers :-)
  • Options

That's a pretty sharp rise in deaths. Ouch. Cases feeding through...
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

More likely backfilling.

By Date of Death for England.

04-01-2022 33
    03-01-2022 79
    02-01-2022 87
    01-01-2022 91
    31-12-2021 94
    30-12-2021 131
    29-12-2021 81
    28-12-2021 125
    27-12-2021 105
    26-12-2021 94
    25-12-2021 81
    24-12-2021 99
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.

Mind you if you live in New York city, Boston, urban California or DC or Chicago you would be lucky to find a Trump voter anyway
    They certainly exist, but they keep quiet about it. And similarly liberals keep a low profile in Trump country.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,952
    MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

The way the polls are in the US in general doesn't seem to get much mention these days, oddly.

Weirdly, I'm still waiting for a retraction on your much repeated claim that Christmas in Gibraltar was cancelled.

Come on, come on, it's not hard. Something like:

I'm sorry I posted four times about Christmas was "cancelled" in Gibraltar despite vaccinations. I accept that of the three people in hospital with Covid, two were unvaccinated, and that the only legal restrictions in Gibraltar are mask mandates in shops and on public transport.

I don't think that should be too hard for you.

If you don't want to do that, I'll accept your silence as an admission that you weren't ignorant, and were just simply lying.

Your call.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    O/T My God - Solicitors, eh?

I've just been quoted £600 + VAT to provide a legal opinion on a two-page Declaration of Trust involving one freehold house. How many hours (minutes more like) are they going to spend on it?

Grrr!
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Leon said:

More likely backfilling.

By Date of Death...

04-01-2022 33
    03-01-2022 79
    02-01-2022 87
    01-01-2022 91
    31-12-2021 94
    30-12-2021 131
    29-12-2021 81
    OK, but the graphs for cases, admissions and deaths all have exactly the same pattern. As one might expect, of course

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

January is going to be challenging.

OK I'm off to Soho for pointless but agreeable drinks. Later
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.

There's not sharing your exact ideology and then there is voting for Trump :wink:

I (if dating) wouldn't preclude anyone who voted for any of the UK's PMs in my life time (PM when I was born was Thatcher). But I'd wonder about someone I knew in advance had voted Trump. It could certainly be overcome, if I knew them and liked them, but I'd be swiping left (or is it right?) on the dating app if there was a MAGA hat showing.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,650
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Carnyx said:

I think not.

Understandable. I bet the results would be different if the question was a Romney voter or a Cheney voter.
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100K

• Options
    UK Local R

• Options
    Leon said:

48 'yesterday'
    334 'today'

You have fallen foul of the ancient date of reporting trap ––– again!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,952
    For the record, I think it's important to include how hot the Trump voter is. I mean I'd make exceptions if she was really good looking.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

More likely backfilling.

By Date of Death...

04-01-2022 33
    03-01-2022 79
    02-01-2022 87
    01-01-2022 91
    31-12-2021 94
    30-12-2021 131
    29-12-2021 81
    OK, but the graphs for cases, admissions and deaths all have exactly the same pattern. As one might expect, of course

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

January is going to be challenging.

OK I'm off to Soho for pointless but agreeable drinks. Later
    There is loads of back filling going on / different reporting across the nations because of bank holidays and the varying different policies about when they report during weekends and holidays.
  • Options
    Deaths are backfilled today, but cases are not - 194,727 is probably a reasonably true picture of reality.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,164

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:
    Hmm.
    Is 46 a ludicrously high or laughably small number of mutations? I have honestly no idea, and wouldn't be surprised by either. Nor if it was pretty standard.
    This pandemic certainly has exposed some gaps in everyone's knowledge I reckon.
    To be honest most people outside science can't tell the difference between a subscript and a superscript in a chemical formula/symbol, so a detailed understanding of viral mutation is very much going to be beyond them...
    H 2 O is correct CO2 is not...

ONS reckons London's peaked klaxon.
    https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1478739628735803398?s=20

I remain cautious, due to the number of people who will have headed out of London to visit "home" for Christmas.

Fine to be cautious, but what percentage do you think left London? 1, 10, 50%? I'd be amazed if it was over 2-3 %.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Case summary

• Options
    BigRich said:

sadly I think they are real. :(
    They look quite real..

Ooops! You weren't talking about Angela ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Hospitals

• Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    rcs1000 said:

MISTY said:

HYUFD said:

Weirdly, I'm still waiting for a retraction on your much repeated claim that Christmas in Gibraltar was cancelled.

Come on, come on, it's not hard. Something like:

I'm sorry I posted four times about Christmas was "cancelled" in Gibraltar despite vaccinations. I accept that of the three people in hospital with Covid, two were unvaccinated, and that the only legal restrictions in Gibraltar are mask mandates in shops and on public transport.

I don't think that should be too hard for you.

If you don't want to do that, I'll accept your silence as an admission that you weren't ignorant, and were just simply lying.

Your call.
    Go on ban me! you know you want to!

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,182
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FrancisUrquhart

Gazing at their equivalent of red telephone boxes. See? ... Bliss. Don't fight it. Time now for reflecting and observing and doing both of those things in silence and with complete honesty. No longer the need to be large or lurid or loud. No longer the need to pretend.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Deaths

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Case and death numbers have a lot of backfill. By actual dates it doesn't look too bad.
  • Options
    Age related data

• Options
    London

This discussion has been closed.