Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even the Telegraph is getting impatient to see the benefits of Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    BigRich said:

Dr John Campell is saying there are over 1 million US cases reported today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_t4qTfAfw

but I don't see that on wouldmeater:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

anybody know where he is getting it form?

"Covid: US reports record 1m cases with peak still to come"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59867536
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    MrEd said:

Completely off topic for those accountants out there or anyone else who knows.

I am completing a self-assessment form for my wife and it's the first year as self-employed. However, when I click on self-employed on the online site, it will not let me continue without listing my wife's business name, which she doesn't have one because she is acting as a sole trader, not a limited company. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do?

Her business name can just be her name as a sole trader.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

On topic.

Brexit has been a failure to both metropolitan posho Leavers and metropolitan posho Remainers.

The metropolitan posho Leavers wanted 'Singapore on Thames' and didn't get it.

The metropolitan posho Remainers wanted mass unemployment for working class northerners and didn't get it.

For the proles its been, depending on the individual, somewhere between neutral to beneficial.

This.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Interesting French poll:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1478430234194194436

Virtually a 4 way toss-up to face Macron for the runoff although it could be an outlier for Mélenchon.

If, say, the Left coalesced around Melenchon, and a 3 way split Right led to the 2 M's in a runoff, then the reverse ferreting would be a veritable stampede.
    Vive Emmanuel! Defender of liberte. And all that is right and proper!
    Won't happen, but would be a right laugh.
    Pecresse and Zemmour voters would likely vote for Macron over Melenchon but lots of Le Pen voters would vote for Melenchon over Macron.

If Melenchon does too well however and takes votes from Macron you could equally end up with a Pecresse v Le Pen or Zemmour runoff
    In that poll Macrons share was up 3%. He isn't losing votes to Melenchon, at least not net.

He is pretty nailed on for the final 2, and of the others only Pecresse is a real threat.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919
    BigRich said:

Dr John Campell is saying there are over 1 million US cases reported today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_t4qTfAfw

but I don't see that on wouldmeater:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

anybody know where he is getting it form?

John Hopkins reports more than 1m cases for Monday.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,243
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I see we are back to hysterical conspiracy theories about Xian on here.

Jesus wept. It’s the Olympics. Move on FFS.

Look, I know that you are shitting yourself, like Topping and Ian, but I can't help the fact a genuine mystery is unfolding in Xi'an. Which is probably Omicron, but possibly not

And it's not like this isn't a major news story (whatever the cause) - if they have Omicron and they can't control it - or they need to lockdown large chunks of China to do so - that is going to have serious consequences for the global economy, as supply chains fail, again. So we can't really "move on"
    Two possible scenarios:

1) The several people trying to reply rationally and calmly to one person's hysterical outpourings are shitting themselves; or
    2) The one person responsible for said hysterical outpouring is shitting himself.

Tough call. Or are we all projecting.
    You lot always miss the bigger picture. Let’s take the benign version. This is just omicron. That China is taking these steps in Xian indicates they may very likely be prepared to announce a nationwide lockdown before Chinese New Year, given we all probably agree it’s a bugger to contain it once it’s out there.

What we know of the underlying virulence of omicron says that this might all be unjustified but it’s tricky to say for sure given we haven’t seen it properly in action in a country with no immunity and little in the way of western approved vaccines.

A Chinese nationwide lockdown most likely causes a global recession this year.

There are less benign versions of this story than a global recession this year, whether you want to hear them or not.

Sure, VHF is endemic in Shanxi. But only strains that spread from rodents to humans.
    We shall have to wait and see. But yes I hold my hand up as I for one didn't at first buy into the whole aliens thing and I am ashamed of that.
    Well we still don’t know enough about UAP to equate them with aliens, however much some of us might think the evidence points that way. What almost all of you refused to take on board, now underlined by the new Congressional legislation passed last week (Gillibrand Amendment to the National Defense Authorisation Act), is that the organs of power in the US are taking UAPs very seriously indeed. Even as you lot laugh it all off.
    I think they're taking it seriously because it's a tactical ruse of their own making. We're going to see lots of extraordinary stories as the USA desperately tries to cling on to its world dominance. They're not going to drift into genteel insignificance the way that Britain did.
    That’s quite the conspiracy theory, given the breadth of politicians and military officials across both time and the left-right spectrum that would need to be involved. Could be you’re right of course. Or could be that when such a range of credible figures say there is observed ultra tech in the skies and oceans that’s not theirs and “needs advances in science to identify”, that we should take what they say at face value.

I don’t follow US politics as closely as some here but can’t be often that an initiative that is apparently opposed by the Executive, passes both houses in such an overwhelming bipartisan fashion.
    I’m much more sympathetic to your position than many on here, as you know, however your argument here doesn’t quite stand. Because ANY explanation for UAP is going to sound outlandish, will give off conspiracy theory vibes, and will encounter Normalcy Bias

To name the most prominent:

1. The entire US military has been suffering multiple simultaneous technical glitches and mass hallucinations for decades and no one in power in America realises this

2. The elite in America have gone collectively and weirdly mad in exactly the same way, across the political spectrum, as they face the superiority of China, or something

3. The Chinese have developed incredible 30,000mph aircraft, which also go underwater, and they’ve managed to keep this quiet since 1950

4. We are being visited and observed by non-human technology

Which is more, or less, likely? They are all extremely difficult to swallow
    No they aren't. The US is constantly trying these sorts of silly stunts - during the Arab Spring protests there are 'signs and wonders' on film, such as the four horsemen of the apocalypse appearing during one of the protests, and (affaicr) the Holy Spirit appearing as a dove above a Church in Egypt. All extremely unsubtle holographic projections. This is just more of the same. Unless you think an advanced race of aliens has travelled thousands of lightyears (or whatever it is) to appear as some blobs of light giving US sailors a turn.
    I think you would be well served in doing some further research on exactly what has been observed, by which instruments / eye witnesses and also when. You’ve moved on from the last thread of a grand conspiracy involving most of the US political elites, to one where they’ve all been hoodwinked over decades by someone re-enacting the plot of Spiderman Far From Home.
    I do find it curious that at a time when we've gone from literally no-one carrying cameras around with them, to a situation where more than four billion people carry cameras, and almost everything that happens is captured on a smartphone, that we're not seeing more videos from individuals.

Almost all the stuff we've seen has come from the US military. Which is weird, because there's only a few hundred thousand of them.
    It’s not just the US military but other militaries. For decades whenever citizens shared their own photos, it got brushed aside as fake, “we need something credible!”.

So now there’s multi million dollar multiple spectrum military imaging, backed up by radar telemetry and multiple eye witnesses (including top gun instructors). And if senior US officials (up to Cabinet and Gang of 8 level) are to be believed, corroborating sonar and satellite imagery.

And your refrain is; nah where are all the iPhones videos!

The Galileo Project should settle a few things. Citizen science to replicate the US satellite imaging capability.
    Is there intelligent life out there?

Almost certainly.

Is some trace of it here on earth?

It's a possibility, but the universe is a very big place.

Is it likelier to be sentient beings or AI drones?

Obviously the latter: it's multiple orders of magnitude more likely to be un-...aliened..
    craft.

Are the pictures from the US military evidence of alien life?

Not really. The utter vastness of space is far, far better evidence for intelligent life than a few green blobs on US military sensors.

Why haven't the millions of CCTV cameras recording 24 hours a day or the bullions of people with smartphones seen anything convincing?

Realistically, because if things from alien civilizations are here, then they're going to be evading detection and absorbing information.

How does that fit with wild gyrations from aliens on US military videos?

It doesn't.
    Good to see you’ve thought about it seriously
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

No it doesn't, certainly not for British consumers who have more British fish to eat

They are not eating it.

UK fish consumption has fallen since the vote.
    Not of British fish
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    MrEd said:

I am completing a self-assessment form for my wife and it's the first year as self-employed. However, when I click on self-employed on the online site, it will not let me continue without listing my wife's business name, which she doesn't have one because she is acting as a sole trader, not a limited company. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do?

Totally off the top of my head - put her full name in as the business name.
  • Options
    John Rentoul in tomorrow's Independent

Starmer's slogan so boring he forgot it
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Foxy said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville
    ·
    1h
    SAGE modelling projected up to 6,000 daily Covid deaths in January without any further lockdown restrictions. Today, the official number of total Covid deaths in the UK was 48.

===

The public inquiry, when it ever happens, must look into modelling, SAGE, scientists speaking in a personal capacity, lack of outside testing of models, lack of real world data input etc etc etc.

How long can we go on governing like this?

Yes, but that is quite a misleading figure in the headline. SAGE predicted between 600 and 6000 deaths per day at the peak.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/spi-m-o-consensus-statement-on-covid-19-15-december-2021/spi-m-o-consensus-statement-on-covid-19-15-december-2021

The publication was written before there was decent evidence of the reduced mortality of Omicron or that vaccines would mitigate it. Fortunately it seems so, but that wasn't obvious when the evidence was being drawn up.

I suspect that deaths will peak lower than their lower end, but not by a great deal.
    600-6,000 is a pretty big spread. Presumably, this was a 95% confidence interval, although I don't think I've seen that stated explicitly. The width of the stated range was probably a fair reflection of the uncertainty present at the time the model was run; unfortunately, by the time decisions needed to be taken, this was no longer the case. The wider modelling process would therefore not be fit for purpose, as it can't respond quickly enough in a crisis. This is probably a structural problem with the way Government works, and can't be fixed without cultural changes that border on "revolution".

Reality being outside the modelled confidence interval once obviously says nothing about the quality of the modelling in general. The wider question is this: is there evidence that the modelling was systemically biased towards prudence throughout the pandemic? If so, given the reliance on model results to guide policy, are the models fit for purpose, and if not, what changes need to be made to ensure the mean results coincide with realistic best estimates?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    A dog saved a hiker injured in the Croatian mountains by lying on top of him for 13 hours until they were rescued, according to local media.

The dog, called North, kept Grga Brkic warm after he fell while out hiking and was unable to move. The other two hikers with him were unable to reach them, so they raised the alarm.

First responders credited the eight-month-old Alaskan Malamute with having helped keep Brkic safe.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,800
    Eabhal said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

It doesn't seem that implausible to me that some form of intelligence might want to see without being seen too clearly. This could apply to anyone and anything.

One of the more plausible subsets of the "it's aliens" theory is that it isn't actually alien beings we are sort-of witnessing, but autonomous alien drones, sent out to observe other life around the galaxy, or even the universe, and then send the data back home

That overcomes all the time/distance problems. This advanced civilisation could be 80,000 light years away, but they sent these probes 80,000 years ago. It also explains some of the G-forces observed, which would crush most conceivable organic life, as we understand it

The drones may contain AI of course, which adds another layer

Maybe they're here because they heard what a terrific idea Brexit was?
    At the time they left mankind had not even come down from the trees to go on to the plains so it seems unlikely. If there are aliens here they have found some way to overcome the speed of light limitation. Nothing else is really possible.
    No: autonomous drones, as I say. Overcomes the speed of light issue
    No it doesn’t. and any report they send home would take 80k years to get there. If they are here they must have a better way. I completely accept that better way may be much more suitable for drones than living creatures though. If they went through a wormhole, for example, machines might survive things that no living creature could.
    Er, what?

There are billions and billions of planets that might harbour life. On some of them there might be civilisations that have endured 500,000 years. 100 million years. If they have proper AI they might be immortal and invulnerable. Sending out a probe to report back in 200,000 years would mean nothing

You lack imagination
    Yep. Captain Cook sailed off and didn't come back for three years. And that was just on Earth.
    A question.
    If we had similar tech which could only report back in say 10 000 years (and there's no reason to assume they don't have tech to make that quicker), which could be sent out in many myriads of directions, would we do it?
    I reckon we would.
    Because that's pretty much what we do already on an admittedly tiny scale. It's what the Voyager programme was.
    It's what the first fishermen who left sight of land did too.
    The courage to make those migrations across the Pacific for the first time. Quite astonishing.
    Its a fascinating subject, of which I've merely scratched the surface. Managing to entirely by-pass Australia. Simply stopping for around 500 years having reached as far as Tonga (The Long Pause being the historical event around which Disney film Moana is built). Then the later epic striking out to Easter Island, New Zealand and, unbelievably, Hawaii.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Interesting French poll:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1478430234194194436

Virtually a 4 way toss-up to face Macron for the runoff although it could be an outlier for Mélenchon.

If, say, the Left coalesced around Melenchon, and a 3 way split Right led to the 2 M's in a runoff, then the reverse ferreting would be a veritable stampede.
    Vive Emmanuel! Defender of liberte. And all that is right and proper!
    Won't happen, but would be a right laugh.
    I think Macron would win easily against Melenchon but it would still be better for democracy (in terms of turnout etc) than a runoff with Le Pen or especially Zemmour.

I'm not sure about how far apart Pecresse and Macron would be in reality, obviously Pecresse is wooing Le Pen votes to get into the runoff.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

No it doesn't, certainly not for British consumers who have more British fish to eat

They are not eating it.

I do my best to compensate, but I'm neither a Brexiter nor a pinnipede. As things are, if I eat any more seafood I'd start worrying. Also as I need to eat more lamb to support the farmers.
    On fishing the UK - EU and Norway sign new fishing deal

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-agrees-2022-fishing-catch-limits-with-eu-and-norway
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

Said it before. But pretty much everything China does these days, is a sign of weakness not strength.
    This lockdown is another. Along with dramatic "amateur" footage. No coincidence it's happened as Evergrande went tits up.
    Guess which one we, and they, are discussing?

I am not sure Chinese social media being stuffed with people claim they are starving is a great look for the party

Also it didn't. Evergrande first blew up several months ago and continued with missed payments etc every month. The suspension of shares only after they had already had 2 weeks of lockdown / dramatic footage from Xian had been widely circulated.

We only started talking about it here because it became clear this harsh lockdown, got harder and has been going on a lot longer than their previous clamp downs on covid outbreaks.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

MrEd said:

Thanks @rottenborough that was my initial thought
  • Options
    edited January 2022

On topic.

Brexit has been a failure to both metropolitan posho Leavers and metropolitan posho Remainers.

The metropolitan posho Remainers wanted mass unemployment for working class northerners and didn't get it.

For the proles its been, depending on the individual, somewhere between neutral to beneficial.

This.
    Indeed, the 2016 EU referendum was the first nationwide UK election where a majority of the working class beat a majority of the middle class since Wilson beat Heath in October 1974
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

Thanks Dixie
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Said it before. But pretty much everything China does these days, is a sign of weakness not strength.
    This lockdown is another. Along with dramatic "amateur" footage. No coincidence it's happened as Evergrande went tits up.

If China's economy is going to blow up then people will feel the effects whether they discuss it or not.

Now, perhaps, not discussing it might allow time for certain people to get their money out :wink:
    And visas for themselves and their families.
    I don't think China will blow up. But it is in for an almighty property correction/collapse.
    A pandemic, with accompanying "patriotic" draconian restrictions might be the just the thing right now.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

On topic.

'Somewhere between neutral to beneficial' implies at least some benefits. Care to list any?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

They are not eating it.

I do my best to compensate, but I'm neither a Brexiter nor a pinnipede. As things are, if I eat any more seafood I'd start worrying. Also as I need to eat more lamb to support the farmers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-agrees-2022-fishing-catch-limits-with-eu-and-norway
    Doesn't say a thing about selling the fish. Could be going to fertiliser for all one can tell.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

On topic.

'Somewhere between neutral to beneficial' implies at least some benefits. Care to list any?
    Wage increases as the economy picked up from June last year?
  • Options

Foxy said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville
    ·
    1h
    SAGE modelling projected up to 6,000 daily Covid deaths in January without any further lockdown restrictions. Today, the official number of total Covid deaths in the UK was 48.

===

The public inquiry, when it ever happens, must look into modelling, SAGE, scientists speaking in a personal capacity, lack of outside testing of models, lack of real world data input etc etc etc.

Yes, but that is quite a misleading figure in the headline. SAGE predicted between 600 and 6000 deaths per day at the peak.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/spi-m-o-consensus-statement-on-covid-19-15-december-2021/spi-m-o-consensus-statement-on-covid-19-15-december-2021

The publication was written before there was decent evidence of the reduced mortality of Omicron or that vaccines would mitigate it. Fortunately it seems so, but that wasn't obvious when the evidence was being drawn up.

I suspect that deaths will peak lower than their lower end, but not by a great deal.
    But that's the problem. These models are drawn up without inputs that would give less scary outcomes e.g. as you say vax might mitigate.

It seems to me they are are always a ton of worse case scenarios even though they are presented as simply a range of possible outcomes.

The problem is not so much the models as the partial information being fed into them in the early phase of each variant.

The exacerbating factor is that media and twitter uses like Melville jump on the worst case scenario. The lower end simply doesn't create clickbait.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

On topic.

I’ll let you go tell them….
    Some truth in the idea; most of the elites knew what they wanted, and it wasn't this. But it's worth noting that there really aren't many people who think things are going well. 15% of the general public and less than a third of Leave voters;

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1478387855462383617?s=20

(I'm genuinely scientifically interested to see how it affects a country to have a key policy which people generally think is going badly but also don't particularly want to reverse. But scientifically interested in the manner a boffin sending mice round a maze filled with tiny mice-killing ninjas.)

But the Brexit campaign shared a lot of properties of Orwell's High/Middle/Low theory in one of the sociology lectures in 1984. Johnson/Gove/Cummings et al were the Middle, the 2nd division elite. They co-opted the Low to get Brexit, allowing them to depose the High (Cameron and co in London, plus the Brussels crew), but mainly so they could become the new High.
  • Options

On topic.

Look at the growth in demand for workers in industries such as hospitality and retail. Leading to increased wages.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

Thanks Dixie
    Don't put 'as above' - she'll be down as Mr. Asa Bové.

(Happened to someone in the 70s when applying for a driving licence, allegedly.)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,522

On topic.

Actually no.
    The metropolitan posho Remainers wanted mass unemployment for the metropolitan posho Leavers, not for the working class northerners.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

They are not eating it.

Doesn't say a thing about selling the fish. Could be going to fertiliser for all one can tell.
    Rather cynical and it was agreed in conjunction with the Scottish government
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

If China's economy is going to blow up then people will feel the effects whether they discuss it or not.

Now, perhaps, not discussing it might allow time for certain people to get their money out :wink:
    I don't think China will blow up. But it is in for an almighty property correction/collapse.
    A pandemic, with accompanying "patriotic" draconian restrictions might be the just the thing right now.
    China's banks would have been declared insolvent under any western accounting standards years over but Chinese GAAP has allowed them to keep going. The Chinese Govt will not allow the banking system to collapse under any circumstances. However, a property company is probably considered manageable.
  • Options
    eek said:

On topic.

Real wages are going down, or will be this coming year.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

eek said:

On topic.

Inflation is a worldwide problem and how much worse it would be without the wage increases due to high demand for employment in the economy now cheap labour has been eliminated
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209

Foxy said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville
    ·
    1h

===

But that's the problem. These models are drawn up without inputs that would give less scary outcomes e.g. as you say vax might mitigate.

It seems to me they are are always a ton of worse case scenarios even though they are presented as simply a range of possible outcomes.

Exactly. But these models were drawn up, and informed policy, before anyone knew anything is precisely the most damning indictment.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Long time since I was in business, but I seem to dimly recall that a sole trader could actually trade under their own name or any old name they wanted but they must not use reserved words like Ltd or PLC etc etc.
  • Options
    THE SUN SAYS: Boris Johnson must act now on the rocketing cost of essentials.

Barring a new more dangerous Covid strain this is his biggest challenge and political threat.

We have urged him to axe VAT on energy, as he once promised.

But even that will make only a minor difference and he seems against it anyway.

The PM did at least show he was alive to the problem, telling The Sun he has not ruled out new solutions to ease hardship. We will hold him to that.

The Treasury, typically, will resist. But Boris must champion the public over the beancounters.

If not, voters will be merciless.
  • Options
    It seems Geoff Hoon has come back from retirement.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

On topic.

Look at the growth in demand for workers in industries such as hospitality and retail. Leading to increased wages.
    Seemed to happen for a bit, but cost of living rises have already swallowed that up in hospitality and transport;

https://twitter.com/jdportes/status/1477935717401698306?s=20
  • Options
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

MrEd said:

Thanks Dixie
    AIUI. And am not an expert, but have done it plenty of times.
    It's about the name matching the invoices if HMRC choose to audit AFAIAA.
  • Options
    Gonna be hilarious seeing the Owen Jones Left embracing Hoon as the new purveyor of the truth about Blair.

iirc there was no one they hated more than Blair than Hoon after the Iraq War.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

James Melville
    @JamesMelville
    ·
    1h

===

Exactly. But these models were drawn up, and informed policy, before anyone knew anything is precisely the most damning indictment.
    The Fog of War.

If you wait for full information it is too late to act, and you become controlled by events rather than being in control of them.

If I waited for full information before acting, I would be proven right by many autopsies...
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

China's banks would have been declared insolvent under any western accounting standards years over but Chinese GAAP has allowed them to keep going. The Chinese Govt will not allow the banking system to collapse under any circumstances. However, a property company is probably considered manageable.
    There is a reason they have chosen now to (finally) ban bitcoin. They know that something bad is about to go down, probably a property crash, and they want to shut down crypto as a possible avenue of capital flight.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eek said:

On topic.

Inflation is a worldwide problem and how much worse it would be without the wage increases due to high demand for employment in the economy now cheap labour has been eliminated
    Leavers are going to tell workers they’d have been even worse off if we’d remained?

Nah, Project Fear.
  • Options
    @MrEd and @eek: The wage rises are going wiped out several times over by inflation as the energy price rises feed through.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

There is a reason they have chosen now to (finally) ban bitcoin. They know that something bad is about to go down, probably a property crash, and they want to shut down crypto as a possible avenue of capital flight.
    Crypto is the scam that will crash. The only question is when.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

On topic.

End of free movement and regained sovereignty as most of the working class voted for.

They also replaced a pro austerity Tory government with a populist high spending Tory government too
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

It doesn't seem that implausible to me that some form of intelligence might want to see without being seen too clearly. This could apply to anyone and anything.

One of the more plausible subsets of the "it's aliens" theory is that it isn't actually alien beings we are sort-of witnessing, but autonomous alien drones, sent out to observe other life around the galaxy, or even the universe, and then send the data back home

That overcomes all the time/distance problems. This advanced civilisation could be 80,000 light years away, but they sent these probes 80,000 years ago. It also explains some of the G-forces observed, which would crush most conceivable organic life, as we understand it

At the time they left mankind had not even come down from the trees to go on to the plains so it seems unlikely. If there are aliens here they have found some way to overcome the speed of light limitation. Nothing else is really possible.
    No it doesn’t. and any report they send home would take 80k years to get there. If they are here they must have a better way. I completely accept that better way may be much more suitable for drones than living creatures though. If they went through a wormhole, for example, machines might survive things that no living creature could.
    Er, what?

There are billions and billions of planets that might harbour life. On some of them there might be civilisations that have endured 500,000 years. 100 million years. If they have proper AI they might be immortal and invulnerable. Sending out a probe to report back in 200,000 years would mean nothing

You lack imagination
    Use your brain. If the USA was really shitting itself over aliens, there wouldn't be a chorus line of the people you've identified squawking about it would there? They would cover it up. The over-choreographed hype is all the evidence you need.
    They have been covering it up. For decades. They have now decided that that's pointless.
    They might ALSO see an advantage in leaking this now, as it unsettles China, as China rises to supremacy. Beijing must be wondering "WTF is this? Do they really believe this? Or is this super brilliant American tech?"

So several explanations can be simultaneously "true"

We really do live in interesting times
    China is also talking about this and is apparently using neural nets to help monitor. Russia has released govt reports years ago being very blunt indeed but no one takes any notice because it’s Russia. I’m quite convinced people will look back with incredulity that we were ever in ignorance/denial of what has been staring us in the face. “Those quaint people of yesteryear”.

This said, if there has been some sort of coverup I understand why. People just don’t wanna know.
    The fact that you're "quite convinced" rather suggests you won't be evaluating new information impartially.
  • Options
    The number of people conned by the wizard of Oz routine was quite something.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/01/04/joe-biden-helped-legitimise-elizabeth-holmes-effusive-praise/
  • Options

IanB2 said:

eek said:

On topic.

Cheap labour hasn't been eliminated.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

On topic.

Some truth in the idea; most of the elites knew what they wanted, and it wasn't this. But it's worth noting that there really aren't many people who think things are going well. 15% of the general public and less than a third of Leave voters;

(I'm genuinely scientifically interested to see how it affects a country to have a key policy which people generally think is going badly but also don't particularly want to reverse. But scientifically interested in the manner a boffin sending mice round a maze filled with tiny mice-killing ninjas.)

Yes, sooner or later people will resolve that contradiction. Either there have to be clear Brexit benefits, or desire to reverse it will grow.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barring a new more dangerous Covid strain this is his biggest challenge and political threat.

The PM did at least show he was alive to the problem, telling The Sun he has not ruled out new solutions to ease hardship. We will hold him to that.

The Treasury, typically, will resist. But Boris must champion the public over the beancounters.

Zero VAT on energy is Labour policy thanks to Reeves.

Does the Sun know this?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

On topic.

End of free movement and regained sovereignty as most of the working class voted for.

They also replaced a pro austerity Tory government with a populist high spending Tory government too
    End of free movement isn't a benefit. People might have voted for it, but it's not good.
    The people had votes in 2017 and 2019 to choose the nature of the government, if was not the referendum that chose a Theresa May minority and a Boris Johnson majority.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

Long time since I was in business, but I seem to dimly recall that a sole trader could actually trade under their own name or any old name they wanted but they must not use reserved words like Ltd or PLC etc etc.
    Yes. Beware of trade names/pseudonyms/stage names. If you use any of them to get work probably best to put that down.
    Knew a posh highly priced counsellor who worked as a sole trader. Very well qualified and respected. His real name? Geoffrey Raper...
    Needless to say he didn't use that to attract any business.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    MrEd said:

On topic.

Come on @MrEd, you're an incredibly smart poster, but pretty much *every* country in the world saw that in the second half of 2021 as people got vaccinated and Covid concerns receded.

Of course, in the US you said it would be bad for the ruling Democrats because it meant inflation, while here it's good because it's caused by Brexit.

The reality is that it will take multiple years before we can truly sort out the Brexit from the Covid. I'm optimistic that Brexit will turn out to be a medium term economic positive, but it's entirely possible - now it's all in our hands - that we elect buffoons and fuck it up.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

On topic.

End of free movement isn't a benefit. People might have voted for it, but it's not good.
    The people had votes in 2017 and 2019 to choose the nature of the government, if was not the referendum that chose a Theresa May minority and a Boris Johnson majority.
    It was not a benefit for the middle class, it was a benefit for many of the working class for whom it caused downward pressure on their wages and pressure on public services and housing
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    MrEd said:

Just use wife's name
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Crypto is the scam that will crash. The only question is when.
    Funny, I think the exact same thing about fiat currency...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

Yes, sooner or later people will resolve that contradiction. Either there have to be clear Brexit benefits, or desire to reverse it will grow.
    But the ability, capacity and willingness to reverse it will diminish, over time, on both sides. Few divorces end in remarriage even if both sides regret it

I've been thinking about this concept: Rejoin

I reckon there could a small window of opportunity in the next few years, if Brexit shows absolutely no benefits, if the Tories fall apart, if the economy goes absolutely tits up - then Labour could suddenly say Right we want to rejoin, starting with EFTA, and people might just go for it

But as the years pass Rejoining will become more and more implausible, as the EU integrates in a way we could never tolerate (and of course there is not the untrivial chance that really bad shit will happen inside or to the EU, making it less attractive)

Second half of the 2020s is the time Rejoin might happen. 10% chance? 20%? After that it will be way too late and several decades will pass before we even think about it and I doubt we will because by then we will be run by the aliens/GPT89
  • Options
    MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

I think the big problem in China is the shadow banking sector - i.e. Wealth Management Products - that offer 15% annual rates of return, are almost entirely unregulated, and which have been used to fund a massive construction boom.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

On topic.

Leavers are going to tell workers they’d have been even worse off if we’d remained?

Nah, Project Fear.
    I know it is off topic but our lifeboat, William F Yates, 13 - 18 has been in Cowes for sometime for upgrade and we have a substitute lifeboat stationed here in Llandudno
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

There's another - less sexy reason - why they're banning bitcoin: it's driven the price of energy up for Chinese exporters. A polysilicon purification plant that could previously make good money is paying far more for electricity than they used to, because Bitcoin miners have come in and increased demand so much.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

But the ability, capacity and willingness to reverse it will diminish, over time, on both sides. Few divorces end in remarriage even if both sides regret it

I reckon there could a small window of opportunity in the next few years, if Brexit shows absolutely no benefits, if the Tories fall apart, if the economy goes absolutely tits up - then Labour could suddenly say Right we want to rejoin, starting with EFTA, and people might just go for it

But as the years pass Rejoining will become more and more implausible, as the EU integrates in a way we could never tolerate (and of course there is not the untrivial chance that really bad shit will happen inside or to the EU, making it less attractive)

Second half of the 2020s is the time Rejoin might happen. 10% chance? 20%? After that it will be way too late and several decades will pass before we even think about it and I doubt we will because by then we will be run by the aliens/GPT89
    Moving in stages with a long period in a Norway/Switzerland position is the most likely path - with a decision point at some future date that, since we are following all the rules, we may as well set them. Although it is notable that both Norwegians and Swiss reject the final step, even when their politicians (in the former case) are sometimes interested.

A more convincing argument is that they will be very wary about taking us back.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Does the Sun know this?
    Boris made the point that by eliminating vat you give a tax break to the wealthy and they are considering other ways of helping the energy crisis

It will be interesting when the details are announced
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

I think that's right (apart from your last sentence obvs).

I suspect EFTA will be the end position - mitigates most of the issues without crossing the 'we are in the EU' rubicon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

There is almost no chance that the UK rejoins the EU. It is possible that - at some point in the future - we have a relationship with the EU that looks like Switzerland's or Norway's.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Er, what?

You lack imagination
    Use your brain. If the USA was really shitting itself over aliens, there wouldn't be a chorus line of the people you've identified squawking about it would there? They would cover it up. The over-choreographed hype is all the evidence you need.
    They have been covering it up. For decades. They have now decided that that's pointless.
    They might ALSO see an advantage in leaking this now, as it unsettles China, as China rises to supremacy. Beijing must be wondering "WTF is this? Do they really believe this? Or is this super brilliant American tech?"

So several explanations can be simultaneously "true"

We really do live in interesting times
    China is also talking about this and is apparently using neural nets to help monitor. Russia has released govt reports years ago being very blunt indeed but no one takes any notice because it’s Russia. I’m quite convinced people will look back with incredulity that we were ever in ignorance/denial of what has been staring us in the face. “Those quaint people of yesteryear”.

This said, if there has been some sort of coverup I understand why. People just don’t wanna know.
    But what do people "not want to know"? All you or anyone else has to say on the subject is that there is some completely unspecified weird shit going on. Your "denial" point is also wrong: I am absolutely certain that the US and UK have been seriously studying this stuff for decades. You say Russia and China are. So who that matters is in denial?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

On topic.

Nah, Project Fear.
    I know it is off topic but our lifeboat, William F Yates, 13 - 18 has been in Cowes for sometime for upgrade and we have a substitute lifeboat stationed here in Llandudno
    You’re wanting me to go check how it’s coming along?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

On topic.

It was not a benefit for the middle class, it was a benefit for many of the working class for whom it caused downward pressure on their wages and pressure on public services and housing
    Well we can all see how pressures on public services and housing have eased since Brexit.

Er...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

There is almost no chance that the UK rejoins the EU. It is possible that - at some point in the future - we have a relationship with the EU that looks like Switzerland's or Norway's.
    I don't think it will ever have any of the dynamic alignment that Switzerland has signed up to. Right now in the aftermath of COVID and with a pretty idealess government in charge that power is still in reserve, a future government may realise a lot of value from diverging in a few small but key areas.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

I am not sure Chinese social media being stuffed with people claim they are starving is a great look for the party

Also it didn't. Evergrande first blew up several months ago and continued with missed payments etc every month. The suspension of shares only after they had already had 2 weeks of lockdown / dramatic footage from Xian had been widely circulated.

We only started talking about it here because it became clear this harsh lockdown, got harder and has been going on a lot longer than their previous clamp downs on covid outbreaks.
    ~Yes, it is possible to overdo the "awe at China's media brilliance"

Xi'an - and now the other cities - are a disaster for their image as the Zero Covid Success. People screaming from welded apartment blocks - again? Weird armies of men shooting flames at bus-stops? Overnight hospitals and concentration camps of quarantiners?

This is not good PR

Meanwhile Omicron/Covid-19-Ebola/Whatever it is, has reached their biggest port

"Update : In China, there is an outbreak in Xi'an, now also in Yuzhou (Henan province) and Ningbo (port city). In Ningbo it is the completely unknown Vietnam variant (there are 2 I think). In Xi'an and Yuzhou it is an 'unknown' Delta variant."

"@alecolarizi
    @AleColarizi
    ·
    14h
    Port city Ningbo in East China's Zhejiang Province, has shut down parts of the city due to recent epidemic surge that caused 23 infections in two days. It is the second Chinese city to implement lockdown measures in this winter outbreak following Xi'an"

https://twitter.com/AleColarizi/status/1478280927260385280?s=20

That's gonna fuck the global economy, if it continues
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

eek said:

On topic.

Nah, Project Fear.
    You’re wanting me to go check how it’s coming along?
    It seems it is taking longer than expected
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Does the Sun know this?
    Boris made the point that by eliminating vat you give a tax break to the wealthy and they are considering other ways of helping the energy crisis

It's very easy to counter any tax break on the wealthy by taxing wealth.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

One thing that encourages me is that the desire to reverse Brexit remains strong and growing. There is much Bregret and feeling that Brexit was a mistake. No major English party will run on a Rejoin platform in 2024, though the LDs have that as a long term objective.

I think it will be stronger still by the 2030's. It wouldn't surprise me if we Rejoined under a Conservatve government. After all it was under the Conservatives that we joined and under the Conservatives that we enacted the Single Market. One day the Tories will realise that they are in a cul de sac, and do a 180°.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

I don't think it will ever have any of the dynamic alignment that Switzerland has signed up to. Right now in the aftermath of COVID and with a pretty idealess government in charge that power is still in reserve, a future government may realise a lot of value from diverging in a few small but key areas.
    Dynamic alignment with ISO standards is not impossible. Dynamic alignment with labour rules clearly would be.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    IanB2 said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Er, what?

You lack imagination
    Doesn’t take 200,000 years to report back home if home is Earth. UAPs may be of non human earthly origin. There’s been a long time before us for Intelligience to have developed. And it would be a fun game to seed Intelligience afresh and observe what happens.

Or they make use of science currently beyond our reach. Long distance communication by quantum entanglement, or faster than light travel by manipulating spacetime (which we have observed can expand faster than light). Or something else entirely. Dimension hopping perhaps, if you’re a string theorist. Or something even stranger.

Or it’s Kissinger making holograms over the pacific because he’s engaged in a 50-year plot to troll China.
    Maybe that time travelling idea wasn’t so dumb? The coming US civil war leads to a global and eventually nuclear war that almost wipes out the species; after a few centuries of Mad Max and a few more of astounding technological progress, the descendents of the survivors have come back to research how to avoid the same thing happening again….
    Or their perfect utopia is so boring they hanker over messy and dangerous ...
  • Options
    Thanks to all who answered on the accounting question, much appreciated.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

[snip]I'm optimistic that Brexit will turn out to be a medium term economic positive, but it's entirely possible - now it's all in our hands - that we elect buffoons and fuck it up.

Well, we have elected buffoons, but, leaving that aside, I'm fascinated by how you can possibly see any economic positive in Brexit at all. What exactly could we do (if we didn't have buffoons running the country) that we couldn't do before, and which is sufficiently powerful to offset the blindingly obvious economic downside of erecting massive barriers to trade with the huge, prosperous market on our doorstep?

Well:

(1) You can have a country that isn't even recognized by most of the world, and still sell lots of stuff to them (see Taiwan)

and

(2) I believe it is better to have decisions taken as near to the people as possible, and in as transparent a way as possible.

It is entirely possible that (2) will not be enough to offset higher barriers to our neighbours in the EU (although I would note that most of our exports are of services rather than goods). But it is also far from a given that we will not be able to do a decent job of being small and nimble.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Does the Sun know this?

It's very easy to counter any tax break on the wealthy by taxing wealth.
    I am not sure it is quite that easy but I have no issue with some form of wealth tax
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

<

We'll spend the next 10 to 15 years painfully attempting to claw back some of the lost ground, ending up with something a bit like Switzerland but less favourable. What the relationship will most have in common with Switzerland is that it will comprise a painful permanent renegotiation, carried out piecemeal. That of course was what the EU wanted to avoid, since it means lots of aggravation, but there's no prospect now of the over-arching, stable relationship founded on trust which they'd hoped to be able to reach with us.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

There's another - less sexy reason - why they're banning bitcoin: it's driven the price of energy up for Chinese exporters. A polysilicon purification plant that could previously make good money is paying far more for electricity than they used to, because Bitcoin miners have come in and increased demand so much.
    Yes, that is a good point.

And none of us can get a bloody RTX 3080, either...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

[snip]I'm optimistic that Brexit will turn out to be a medium term economic positive, but it's entirely possible - now it's all in our hands - that we elect buffoons and fuck it up.

Well, we have elected buffoons, but, leaving that aside, I'm fascinated by how you can possibly see any economic positive in Brexit at all. What exactly could we do (if we didn't have buffoons running the country) that we couldn't do before, and which is sufficiently powerful to offset the blindingly obvious economic downside of erecting massive barriers to trade with the huge, prosperous market on our doorstep?

Because we elect and eject all those who rule us

Independent, adaptive countries do better than states in massive blocs is a pretty good rule of thumb, tho there are exceptions, as always

But as Robert implies, we need to get the hang of being independent, and being able to act fast and cleverly because of that independence. We may entirely fail

The vaccine success is the only real example of our doing this, so far (tho it is quite a significant one). The bullshit that "we could have done this in the EU" IS bullshit. The emotional/political pressure to be in the EU vax scheme would have totally overwhelmed any Remainy government (which is what we would have had, post a Remain vote)

Come on Brexity Britain, shape up

• Options
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

Moving in stages with a long period in a Norway/Switzerland position is the most likely path - with a decision point at some future date that, since we are following all the rules, we may as well set them. Although it is notable that both Norwegians and Swiss reject the final step, even when their politicians (in the former case) are sometimes interested.

A more convincing argument is that they will be very wary about taking us back.
    Yes. I think this is an often under appreciated point. The EU would need some guarantee we are in for the long term. And no Parliament can bind it's successors.
    So, the prospect of Rejoin winning an election followed by Leave five years later would be reason enough to stop our hokey cokey.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Anyone who claims that they can identify any economic effect of Brexit for good or ill at the present time is delusional. We have gone through storm Arwen and have worse to come and we are arguing about a gentle offshore breeze. It’s absurd.

What does the mountain of red tape throttling our trade have to do with Arwen? And aren't you Tories the people who spent decades working to remove said red tape?
    Our trade is being throttled by most of our major customers being in recession or, at best, partial recovery and by disruption of supplies from China and the Far East.

These have been massive effects and I predict that there is a lot more disruption to come. It is not paperwork, such as that required by our non EU markets both before and after we left that is causing the decline.

Our economy also grew quite strongly this year, faster than any of the larger economies in Europe. Do I claim that is a benefit of Brexit? Will I claim it when we continue to outgrow the EU average next year? Nope. There are far more important factors at play.
    Err…that was because it fell further in the first place (or, more likely, both the larger downswing and larger recovery were because of the way we do the measuring)
    One classic is how “output ” in Health Services are measured:

Spain: Salaries paid - COVID : huge leap in output.
    UK: “Operations performed”: - COVID - output collapsed.

I doubt that’s how it felt on the ground in either.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Anyone who claims that they can identify any economic effect of Brexit for good or ill at the present time is delusional. We have gone through storm Arwen and have worse to come and we are arguing about a gentle offshore breeze. It’s absurd.

What does the mountain of red tape throttling our trade have to do with Arwen? And aren't you Tories the people who spent decades working to remove said red tape?
    Our trade is being throttled by most of our major customers being in recession or, at best, partial recovery and by disruption of supplies from China and the Far East.

These have been massive effects and I predict that there is a lot more disruption to come. It is not paperwork, such as that required by our non EU markets both before and after we left that is causing the decline.

Our economy also grew quite strongly this year, faster than any of the larger economies in Europe. Do I claim that is a benefit of Brexit? Will I claim it when we continue to outgrow the EU average next year? Nope. There are far more important factors at play.
    Err…that was because it fell further in the first place (or, more likely, both the larger downswing and larger recovery were because of the way we do the measuring)

I thought UK GDP was calculated by adding up salaries (the income method)?
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Because we elect and eject all those who rule us

Independent, adaptive countries do better than states in massive blocs is a pretty good rule of thumb, tho there are exceptions, as always

But as Robert implies, we need to get the hang of being independent, and being able to act fast and cleverly because of that independence. We may entirely fail

The vaccine success is the only real example of our doing this, so far (tho it is quite a significant one). The bullshit that "we could have done this in the EU" IS bullshit. The emotional/political pressure to be in the EU vax scheme would have totally overwhelmed any Remainy government (which is what we would have had, post a Remain vote)

Come on Brexity Britain, shape up

Not happening - as the Torygraph has now spotted.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

Dynamic alignment with ISO standards is not impossible. Dynamic alignment with labour rules clearly would be.
    No of course, but there's lots of other areas as well, especially financial regulation, where having our own ruleset not defined by the EU will be pretty handy. In all honesty, I'm very much looking forwards to the Aussie beef revolution. I've been to Australia, in a previous life I was semi-attached to a game studio based there as part of a deal with my former employer for technical assistance reasons so I was there a lot. Australian beef is great, it's better than ours and I don't care that their welfare standards a slightly diluted compared to ours. I never really understood why people loved beef so much until I had the beef there.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On topic.

Come on @MrEd, you're an incredibly smart poster, but pretty much *every* country in the world saw that in the second half of 2021 as people got vaccinated and Covid concerns receded.

Of course, in the US you said it would be bad for the ruling Democrats because it meant inflation, while here it's good because it's caused by Brexit.

The reality is that it will take multiple years before we can truly sort out the Brexit from the Covid. I'm optimistic that Brexit will turn out to be a medium term economic positive, but it's entirely possible - now it's all in our hands - that we elect buffoons and fuck it up.
    First of all, thanks for the compliment @rcs1000, I will take that.

Re the question, you are right but there are questions of degrees. If you want an effect in the opposite direction, look at the shortage of truck drivers: it’s a global problem but there is no doubt the U.K. has also been more impacted because of Brexit. The US side of things has also been impacted by declining labour force participation - although there’s a question of who exactly is exiting the workplace.

Re the US, I don’t think inflation is necessarily bad per se for the Democrats but I think the political hit has been exacerbated by two things. One, they are more obvious in running what is a Modern Monetary Policy and their big spending plans leave them open to accusations they have fuelled inflation. Secondly, and related, they have mismanaged the messaging. Plus I think some of the inflation in the US has been more noticeable (eg car prices - you don’t need a car for a good chunk of the U.K. but in the States, it’s only really NYC and possibly Boston and one or two others where you can reliably and safely use public transport).
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well:

(1) You can have a country that isn't even recognized by most of the world, and still sell lots of stuff to them (see Taiwan)

and

(2) I believe it is better to have decisions taken as near to the people as possible, and in as transparent a way as possible.

It is entirely possible that (2) will not be enough to offset higher barriers to our neighbours in the EU (although I would note that most of our exports are of services rather than goods). But it is also far from a given that we will not be able to do a decent job of being small and nimble.
    But those aren't economic arguments. What I want to hear is what an intelligent Brexit supporter thinks the economic benefits might be, in practice, and what was stopping us exploiting them as EU members. (Clearly not trade deals elsewhere, that was always bonkers. In fact it was so bonkers that when, in the referendum campaign, the Leave side started putting it forward as an argument I assumed for months that it was just a rather feeble attempt to counter the obvious downside of exiting the biggest and most comprehensive free trade deal on the planet. I was amazed when I finally twigged that some of them were actually serious, or at least had persuaded themselves that they were serious.)
  • Options
    Quick question re China - what do PBers think about its prospects?

My own view is that it is turning in on itself in a way like it did in the 15th Century and we are about to see the fall of the post-2000 global economy system where China played such a role.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

One thing that encourages me is that the desire to reverse Brexit remains strong and growing. There is much Bregret and feeling that Brexit was a mistake. No major English party will run on a Rejoin platform in 2024, though the LDs have that as a long term objective.

I think it will be stronger still by the 2030's. It wouldn't surprise me if we Rejoined under a Conservatve government. After all it was under the Conservatives that we joined and under the Conservatives that we enacted the Single Market. One day the Tories will realise that they are in a cul de sac, and do a 180°.
    No, it needs to happen in the 2020s, or it will be too late. I very much doubt it will happen at all, sorry. But it is possible. 10% chance is about right

That is why the more intellectual Hard Brexiteers wanted Hard Brexit. To make the break as brutal as possible, poison the well of concord, and make any path back strewn with difficulties. On top of that, make us forge an independent existence out of necessity, because the EU will be a bunch of c*nts, and we will have to turn to different markets. This is already happening. Companies and individuals adapt to a new ex-EU environment, see the benefits (or at least some compensation) - as every day goes by the chance to return dwindles away

The absolute irony is that hardcore Remoaners - such as yourself? tho I may be wrong, and I apologise if so - helped massively to achieve this. If Remainers had been clever the UK would have ended up in an ultra-soft EFTA Brexit, from which it would be easy to say Fuck it, Rejoin. Just tweak a few laws, we are back in. No biggie

With their 2nd referendum stupidities they have ensured we are very probably Out forever

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

How depressing. Tory governments in the 30s.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Er, what?

You lack imagination
    Yes, of course dear. They've decided blabbing about it to anyone who'll listen is a much better strategy.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I thought UK GDP was calculated by adding up salaries (the income method)?
    Indeed the ONS growth figures thus autumn were quite anaemic, one exception was a strong increase in Genera Practice.

I pointed out at the time that this wasn't really a sound basis of economic success. We can all make our living giving each other booster shots.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

No, it needs to happen in the 2020s, or it will be too late. I very much doubt it will happen at all, sorry. But it is possible. 10% chance is about right

That is why the more intellectual Hard Brexiteers wanted Hard Brexit. To make the break as brutal as possible, poison the well of concord, and make any path back strewn with difficulties. On top of that, make us forge an independent existence out of necessity, because the EU will be a bunch of c*nts, and we will have to turn to different markets. This is already happening. Companies and individuals adapt to a new ex-EU environment, see the benefits (or at least some compensation) - as every day goes by the chance to return dwindles away

The absolute irony is that hardcore Remoaners - such as yourself? tho I may be wrong, and I apologise if so - helped massively to achieve this. If Remainers had been clever the UK would have ended up in an ultra-soft EFTA Brexit, from which it would be easy to say Fuck it, Rejoin. Just tweak a few laws, we are back in. No biggie

With their 2nd referendum stupidities they have ensured we are very probably Out forever

"We poisoned the well but it was your fault really"

Get yourself into the Thames.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

MrEd said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

One of the many reasons that Cryptos are so bad is the squandering of scarce energy on them. They are not a creator of wealth but rather a destroyer of it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    edited January 2022
    The failure with Brexit wasn't so much the referendum result itself IMO, it was the division that successive governments allowed to become established in the country for about 15 years before the vote. In the late 1990s there wasn't much divisiveness in the country over the EU.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

"We poisoned the well but it was your fault really"

Get yourself into the Thames.
    Thanks!

I was never a Hard Brexiteer. I wanted soft EFTA Brexit. I wanted sweet, effeminate Brexit. Ballet-loving Brexit

I am merely pointing out the logic of the cleverer Hard Brexiteers, which I did not quite appreciate at the time. Nor did any of the Remainers, or they would not have enabled them so superbly
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

On topic.

No, it is like a drunk waking up in an alley in piss stained trousers and in a pool of vomit. Brexit has to be hard to show it was a dead end. If not, then the headbangers would always demand more. They had to be at the wheel when things went wrong.

I was never interested in a soft Brexit. We should have either Remained or gone the full monty.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On topic.

First of all, thanks for the compliment @rcs1000, I will take that.

Re the question, you are right but there are questions of degrees. If you want an effect in the opposite direction, look at the shortage of truck drivers: it’s a global problem but there is no doubt the U.K. has also been more impacted because of Brexit. The US side of things has also been impacted by declining labour force participation - although there’s a question of who exactly is exiting the workplace.

Re the US, I don’t think inflation is necessarily bad per se for the Democrats but I think the political hit has been exacerbated by two things. One, they are more obvious in running what is a Modern Monetary Policy and their big spending plans leave them open to accusations they have fuelled inflation. Secondly, and related, they have mismanaged the messaging. Plus I think some of the inflation in the US has been more noticeable (eg car prices - you don’t need a car for a good chunk of the U.K. but in the States, it’s only really NYC and possibly Boston and one or two others where you can reliably and safely use public transport).
    My suspicion is that wage changes in the last two years are 99% Covid related and 1% Brexit. I suspect that if you looked at hospitality wage increases in the second half of 2021, you wouldn't see big differences between the UK, Spain and the US. Simply: demand returning would be the dominant factor, not the availability of cheap labour.

Now, that may change going forward. But that hasn't happened yet. Right now, changes in incomes are almost entirely the consequence of demand for restaraunts and other tourism-type services ebbing and flowing with Covid concern or optimism.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    MrEd said:

Quick question re China - what do PBers think about its prospects?

My own view is that it is turning in on itself in a way like it did in the 15th Century and we are about to see the fall of the post-2000 global economy system where China played such a role.

Don't think so - they are locked into international trade, and doing well out of it. It's a huge country and we tend toi overinterpret news from individual bits of it, egged on by hostile Twitter accounts. It's like trying to predict the state of the USA after reading of disturbing events in Wyoming.

People tend to expect drama too much of the time. How's the invasion of Taiwan coming along?
This discussion has been closed.