Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Poll suggests that the LAB lead would be just 3% with PM Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Re EU/the farmers and fishermen.

It's not that they are going to get shafted; small children in Grimsby knew that. It's that they were told they wouldn't be shafted.

The UK has left the CFP, exactly as the fishermen of Grimsby voted for
    Absolutely. And they were told it would be in their best interests to do so.
    UK fishermen have always wanted that as it means they get more of their catch.

For goodness sake fishermen in Grimsby and the Southwest voted UKIP for years before the EU referendum they got what they voted for
    I have about as much sympathy for Brexit voting fishermen as fishermen have for fish.
    Are you saying it's all pollocks?
    Still carping on?

:smile:
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Does it matter who the England coach is when, with a few noble exceptions, the talent just is not there. Especially in the batting.

I’m sure the talent is there, but one day cricket has corroded the art of defence. So what does the eco do? Invent another form of short cricket...
    Our county 4 day cricket is not at the same standard as Sheffield Shield in Aussie, partly as there are 18 counties. The two divisions was an attempt to change this, but it didn’t work. I think the ecb is using the hundred as a back door to 8 franchises for the long form of the game. It would benefit the England test team, but the counties will fight to the bitter end. There is a huge amount of history and tradition to lose.
    The other question is, would they pick the right 8 or 10 counties? For example, no way should Glamorgan, Middlesex or Kent be in that number on merit, but you can bet they would be as they have the right friends. Meanwhile Somerset, one of the strongest sides in the country, and Gloucestershire, with an international venue, have been deliberately overlooked in the Hundred. Durham, not so long ago one of the best sides in the land and the home of Ben Stokes, have been shafted so often for specious reasons you wonder if their chairman actually killed Tom Harrison's cat.

There is a reason the counties are sceptical of the ECB's plans, and it's simply because the ECB can't be trusted to do what's right for the game instead of what's right for their mates.
    Well quite. I think this is the plan, or outline idea, but I’m not in favour. I hoped that two divisions and promotion/relegation would work. I got endlessly fed up with radio 5 not understanding that division 1 was above division 2. How often did they report on second division games ahead of first? They would never report on championship football ahead of the premiership.
    I think the ecb needs to look at what it wants to achieve. It’s clear the main focus has been world cups (T20 and one day), and fair enough we won one, and lost the other on the toss. But the test team is being done no favours. Back in the day of 17 counties all playing each other home and away (more or less), batsmen got time in the middle. It’s easy to mock Boycott, but by god he’d be first on the sheet right now.
    The 18 county system was able to provide the players that have done well in limited overs cricket. Not sure why it isn't possible for it to do the same for the Test side.

If we are to reduce the number of first-class sides then I hope there is an explicit link to the counties in the tier of cricket below them. I'd think a Wessex team, explicitly linked to counties like Somerset and Hampshire, would be a more sensible approach than the city-based franchises they invented for the decimal competition.
    There are 11 current international grounds.

If theyw ant a list of about 10 .... ?
    Lords, the oval, Southampton, Bristol, edgbaston, Trent bridge, Cardiff, old trafford, headingly, Durham. Where is number 11?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Does it matter who the England coach is when, with a few noble exceptions, the talent just is not there. Especially in the batting.

I’m sure the talent is there, but one day cricket has corroded the art of defence. So what does the eco do? Invent another form of short cricket...
    Our county 4 day cricket is not at the same standard as Sheffield Shield in Aussie, partly as there are 18 counties. The two divisions was an attempt to change this, but it didn’t work. I think the ecb is using the hundred as a back door to 8 franchises for the long form of the game. It would benefit the England test team, but the counties will fight to the bitter end. There is a huge amount of history and tradition to lose.
    The other question is, would they pick the right 8 or 10 counties? For example, no way should Glamorgan, Middlesex or Kent be in that number on merit, but you can bet they would be as they have the right friends. Meanwhile Somerset, one of the strongest sides in the country, and Gloucestershire, with an international venue, have been deliberately overlooked in the Hundred. Durham, not so long ago one of the best sides in the land and the home of Ben Stokes, have been shafted so often for specious reasons you wonder if their chairman actually killed Tom Harrison's cat.

There is a reason the counties are sceptical of the ECB's plans, and it's simply because the ECB can't be trusted to do what's right for the game instead of what's right for their mates.
    Well quite. I think this is the plan, or outline idea, but I’m not in favour. I hoped that two divisions and promotion/relegation would work. I got endlessly fed up with radio 5 not understanding that division 1 was above division 2. How often did they report on second division games ahead of first? They would never report on championship football ahead of the premiership.
    I think the ecb needs to look at what it wants to achieve. It’s clear the main focus has been world cups (T20 and one day), and fair enough we won one, and lost the other on the toss. But the test team is being done no favours. Back in the day of 17 counties all playing each other home and away (more or less), batsmen got time in the middle. It’s easy to mock Boycott, but by god he’d be first on the sheet right now.
    The 18 county system was able to provide the players that have done well in limited overs cricket. Not sure why it isn't possible for it to do the same for the Test side.

If we are to reduce the number of first-class sides then I hope there is an explicit link to the counties in the tier of cricket below them. I'd think a Wessex team, explicitly linked to counties like Somerset and Hampshire, would be a more sensible approach than the city-based franchises they invented for the decimal competition.

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Not much mention from OGH of the fact the current Tory position of only a 7% deficit under Boris is made significantly worse under a Truss leadership, which would see a 16% Labour lead and even worse defeat than 1997. Making Truss a Tory Kim Campbell. Gove does even worse.

Sunak does a bit better but even he only cuts the Labour lead to 3%, he does not take the lead so Starmer would still end up PM albeit in a hung parliament. Better therefore for the party to focus on avoiding any further restrictions as Boris is doing and getting people boosted rather than focusing too much on personalities

How on earth you can be so blind sided by Boris amazes me, especially on the day Conhome puts him way out on his own at the bottom of their cabinet league table at -33.8 with Mark Spencer at -24.1

As I have said before, you need to wake up and smell the coffee
    HYUFD has a point. If the tories novichok Johnson now they are stuck with his successor right up to the next GE. Far better to let him take a few more arrows first and change closer to the election.
    A new leader is likely to call an election relatively soon, I think.
    And carrying on with the lame porker for too long is also damaging to Tory prospects.
    Any new leader would still be trailing Starmer, even Sunak, according to Opinium.

If they throw away an 80 seat majority and call a snap general election that would be unforgiveable, even worse than May calling a snap election in 2017 which threw away her majority as it would likely lead to a Labour government
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

It's not that they are going to get shafted; small children in Grimsby knew that. It's that they were told they wouldn't be shafted.

For goodness sake fishermen in Grimsby and the Southwest voted UKIP for years before the EU referendum they got what they voted for
    I have about as much sympathy for Brexit voting fishermen as fishermen have for fish.
    Still carping on?

Just trying to get a line on things.
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Can anyone point to someone who has benefited from BREXIT? It would seem to the layman that if you walk away from a market of 400,000,000 people and replace it with one of 30,000,000 which is inaccessible there is a prima facie case for saying you have lost out!
    Have we been banned from trading with Europe? Shit, I missed that news...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    What i wonder now, are the likes of Stokes going to retire from test cricket? He is already injury prone, he is slogging it out for a team around him who are piss poor, aren't going to get better any time soon and instead could just play T20 / ODIs for big money for the next 10 years.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Glad you agree. Thought I was going mad...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231

The big problem is if you listen to the likes of Livingstone talk about batting for T20, its totally different game. And i don't just mean a mindset of wallop it versus defend. I mean he has totally changed everything about how he bats in order to facilitate the massive hitting. Stance, backlift, feet movement. It just isn't the same game, he is trying to launch balls in the air more like a baseball player (or a golfer) by generating bat speed. Everything is geared around that, not how can I ensure that i don't get out for the next 2 hours against a variety of bowling with a swinging / seaming red ball.

And why wouldn't you, you can earn a £1 million a year getting good at it.

And you see this with especially Bairstow in test cricket, his whole game now isn't built for it.

We see this with Buttler too. And, of course, in T20 edges down to third man are usually a 4 rather than being caught in the slips. I think Malan has done a better job of converting than most (probably because he is more of a touch player than raw power) but its still a completely different mindset.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,724
    edited December 2021
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The big problem is if you listen to the likes of Livingstone talk about batting for T20, its totally different game. And i don't just mean a mindset of wallop it versus defend. I mean he has totally changed everything about how he bats in order to facilitate the massive hitting. Stance, backlift, feet movement. It just isn't the same game, he is trying to launch balls in the air more like a baseball player (or a golfer) by generating bat speed. Everything is geared around that, not how can I ensure that i don't get out for the next 2 hours against a variety of bowling with a swinging / seaming red ball.

And you see this with especially Bairstow in test cricket, his whole game now isn't built for it.

We see this with Buttler too. And, of course, in T20 edges down to third man are usually a 4 rather than being caught in the slips. I think Malan has done a better job of converting than most (probably because he is more of a touch player than raw power) but its still a completely different mindset.
    Buttler might be another one who says I am just going to concentrate on wallop cricket. He could earn millions playing all the T20 competitions rather than continuing to fail at test cricket. And he is never a good enough keeper for tests.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Headingley will be back on the list as soon as a large bribe is paid a process is followed to ensure that changes have been made at Yorkshire.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,192
    MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

"There are no Americans at the airport"... https://twitter.com/btsportcricket/status/1475641312993071110

The players just aren't there. They aren't there because county cricket isn't providing them.

It isn't providing them because it isn't fit for purpose, and hasn't been for a hundred years.

A reorganisation into ten regional teams would make professionals fight for contracts, up the standard of the competition and make the games mean something.

Right now, whole swathes of the country are completely unrepresented by this most bankrupt of bankrupt competitions and all too few have any interest whatever.

Who do you follow at county level if you live in Cornwall, Devon, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire or Lincolnshire?
    I think all the non first class counties have county teams that play in the national counties competitions. Oxfordshire are the current champions.

Devon lost their most recent match, last August, against Shropshire by 3 wickets. Haggett and Wagg top-scored for either side, both with 109, but Wagg had match figures of 6-34 against Haggett's 5-81, and so Shropshire were the winners.

I fear that is the future for the first-class game as a whole. Recorded in a dusty corner of the internet by a small team of obsessed nerds, but ignored by the rest of the world.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Not by the Government of the day they weren't.

Everyone makes their own informed decision, I see no reasons to pander to Luddites.
    They were told by the leave campaign. Headed by Nigel Farage.
    Maybe they shouldn't vote for Nigel Farage next time then. Kick him out of Parliament by not re-electing him.
    There used to be a guy here who said voting for a party led by Farage wasn't voting for Farage (somewhat unconvincingly it has to be said), dunno what happened to him.
    As a result of that person's vote is Farage in Parliament? Does Farage hold any elected post in the UK Government or any Parliament at all? 🤔

If the answer is no, then I think that guy was entirely correct. A vote to elect to Parliament, and a vote to eject from Parliament, are two entirely different votes.
    Surely the reason for changing your identity is to make a fresh start? If you keep writing the same tosh people are going to know it's you.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Still carping on?

Just trying to get a line on things.
    sounds like codswallop to me.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Headingley will be back on the list as soon as a large bribe is paid a process is followed to ensure that changes have been made at Yorkshire.
    Aye but technically its not a current one.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

At this time of year you're skat[e]ing on thin ice with these small fry puns.
  • Options
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/brace-for-huge-uk-broadband-and-mobile-price-hikes-in-2022.html

The surge in UK inflation is threatening to result in one of the biggest annual price hikes in broadband ISP, phone, mobile and calling charges seen in years, which could hit customers of BT, EE, Plusnet, Vodafone, O2, TalkTalk, Shell Energy, KCOM and others with rises of around 9% come March-April 2022 (double the usual level).
  • Options
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Not by the Government of the day they weren't.

Everyone makes their own informed decision, I see no reasons to pander to Luddites.
    They were told by the leave campaign. Headed by Nigel Farage.
    Maybe they shouldn't vote for Nigel Farage next time then. Kick him out of Parliament by not re-electing him.
    There used to be a guy here who said voting for a party led by Farage wasn't voting for Farage (somewhat unconvincingly it has to be said), dunno what happened to him.
    As a result of that person's vote is Farage in Parliament? Does Farage hold any elected post in the UK Government or any Parliament at all? 🤔

If the answer is no, then I think that guy was entirely correct. A vote to elect to Parliament, and a vote to eject from Parliament, are two entirely different votes.
    Surely the reason for changing your identity is to make a fresh start? If you keep writing the same tosh people are going to know it's you.
    If I wanted a fresh start, I would have changed my avatar. I don't want a fresh start, I just want to not use my real life name.

I have outstanding bets with some people, I have no intention of them not knowing who I am, I just don't need my real life name and surname used.
  • Options
    Another problem these days with test cricket, they don't "tour" and play warm up matches. So especially as a batsman you have no opportunity to adjust to conditions. Its clear the English batsman are struggling with the significant more bounce you get in Australia.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Buttler might be another one who says I am just going to concentrate on wallop cricket. He could earn millions playing all the T20 competitions rather than continuing to fail at test cricket. And he is never a good enough keeper for tests.
    It’s a great sadness that being the best keeper is no longer enough for test selection. And yet we’ve seen in this series how important it is if you need everything to go your way, you need to take all the chances. Butlers drops in the 2nd test didn’t lose the game on their own, but they didn’t help. And it’s not as if Foakes can’t bat.
    Was it Alec Stewart who was the first down the path of batsmen who can keep? Time for change. Pick your best spinner, preferably a leggie, as Root can bowl off spin. Pick the best keeper in the country. If the batters don’t get the runs don’t blame the keeper and the bowlers for not doing so...
  • Options
    EXC: New @YouGov poll shows:

- 24% of Britons have never heard of levelling up
    - 50% have heard the term but either have no idea what it means or are unsure.

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1475780916526346241
  • Options
    edited December 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Fair point, conceded.

Still wondering where Matt's 11th ground is though. I know women's tests and ODIs are played at New Road and I think Taunton and Canterbury as well, but I don't think they're classed as international grounds.
  • Options
    Public understanding of levelling up appears to have declined over the last year.

Proportion of those who understood it had dropped by 7pp and those who said they did not know rose by 14pp, compared with a similar poll carried out in Dec 2020
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Not much mention from OGH of the fact the current Tory position of only a 7% deficit under Boris is made significantly worse under a Truss leadership, which would see a 16% Labour lead and even worse defeat than 1997. Making Truss a Tory Kim Campbell. Gove does even worse.

Sunak does a bit better but even he only cuts the Labour lead to 3%, he does not take the lead so Starmer would still end up PM albeit in a hung parliament. Better therefore for the party to focus on avoiding any further restrictions as Boris is doing and getting people boosted rather than focusing too much on personalities

The indications that I'm getting from 2019 Boris fans is that his appeal has gone - completely - and it is very unlikely that it will return. The CP has a big decision to make and the sooner the better I think - would provide a couple of years for a new leader to re-fashion things.
    All those months of those of us who knew what he was like being told that he would always be enduring electoral magic, and here we are, just as we always said we would be…..
    Nobody is ever "enduring" electoral magic.

Saying that a political career will end doesn't make you wise or insightful.
    Spot on - the site is full of very wise folk predicting with various degrees of certainty that the w/e will come and the being all smug when it happens - only to be saddos again the following Monday..
    I feel privileged to be in at the birth of a new meme: we said Boris was the Messiah, but we never said for how long.

Just to repeat: White Star Line statement 17/4/1912 "It would be naive to overlook the fact that all ships have a finite lifespan..."
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

eek said:

Fascinating interview with George Eustice, England’s Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs on R4 Today.

Farmers are not happy bunnies regarding, among other things, the free trade deal with Australia.

Can’t see many farmers switching straight to Labour, but could we see widespread protest via:

- abstaining?
    - voting LibDem in England and Wales?
    - voting SNP in Scotland?

A lot will depend on how the Tory party responds.

At the moment they have patronising lickspittles like David Duguid telling farmers and fishermen that actually Brexit has been brilliant and actually naysayer voices like Banff and Buchan famers and fishermen are ignoring all the amazing things he and his government are doing. Unsurprisingly this seat will fall to the SNP according to the polls.

If the government keep saying Don't Look Up to businesses and rural communities they are going to get pummelled. They know that we remain completely aligned to the single market and customs union and that it is only the government tying them in knots and threatening their subsidies threatening their way of life. They will vote for parties who will fix this.

Or, the government wakes up. Realises the ERG have led them down the garden path. And take a giant pair of scissors to "european" red tape and claim victory as they free business and farmers and fishermen from pointless red tape done by that failed lying clown who has just been fired.
    Subsidises have been cut in half and the criteria for them has completely changed. I don’t have the details as that’s a wormhole I don’t wish to go down and something that it’s easier to deny knowledge about given Mrs Eek’s areas
    That sounds like a Brexit positive then. 👍

So not only are we not paying subsidies to French farmers anymore, we've rid ourselves of half the burden of subsidising British ones too. Fantastic!
    Most British farms will no longer be economically viable and will stop producing food! Fantastic!
    We really need to be producing more food here not less.

Subsidies are a fact of life.
    It isn't just subsidies, but rather price stabilisation that matters to farmers. In order to have a viable harvest they need to have some idea of the selling price. Otherwise they are just gambling on the weather, vs the weather in other parts of the world.

Which is true for many other sectors in the economy too. They should operate in the world as it is, not in the world they wish it was. Perhaps the financial sector can aid with futures contracts if its worthwhile and they're prepared to pay for it?
    Yes, it does affect other sectors too, but farming is particularly prone to price fluctuations.

New Zealand is a very different place, with possibly the cheapest high quality agricultural land in the world.

If you think people voted Brexit to shut down British farming then you are likely to not like the next election result.
    Farmers have plenty of opportunity to sell to Australia and New Zealand too. It seems for some Remainers unless free trade is with the EU, who we have a trade deal with too, it is irrelevant and we should put up tariffs as high as possible.

Some supposed liberals on here this morning would even bring back the Corn Laws it seems
    This cheesemaker sounds cheesed off with our new trade deals:-
    “And now we’ve also lost Norway since the trade deal, as duty for wholesale is 273%. Then we tried Canada but what the government didn’t tell us is that duty of 244% is applied on any consignment over $20 [£15].”
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/27/brexit-the-biggest-disaster-that-any-government-has-ever-negotiated
    On current polls Starmer will become PM and we will be back in the single market or closely aligned to it anyway.

Sounds good; sign me up.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Another problem these days with test cricket, they don't "tour" and play warm up matches. So especially as a batsman you have no opportunity to adjust to conditions. Its clear the English batsman are struggling with the significant more bounce you get in Australia.

It is no coincidence the one tour in the last 18 years that England actually won a Test match, they had three warmups against very strong sides including Australia A.
  • Options
    Australia reports 11,258 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

How on earth you can be so blind sided by Boris amazes me, especially on the day Conhome puts him way out on his own at the bottom of their cabinet league table at -33.8 with Mark Spencer at -24.1

HYUFD has a point. If the tories novichok Johnson now they are stuck with his successor right up to the next GE. Far better to let him take a few more arrows first and change closer to the election.
    And carrying on with the lame porker for too long is also damaging to Tory prospects.
    Any new leader would still be trailing Starmer, even Sunak, according to Opinium.

If they throw away an 80 seat majority and call a snap general election that would be unforgiveable, even worse than May calling a snap election in 2017 which threw away her majority as it would likely lead to a Labour government
    Yes, I can't see it either - it would take real hubris, and the only arguably hubristic figure in the list is Johnson. There are two things to consider here. On the one hand, the "We have a new leader, give them a chance!" trick keeps working for the Tories, and that argues for soldiering on and maybe changing in 2023 for an election after that. On the other hand, the poll shows that Labour doesn't have a commanding positive lead yet (otherwise it wouldn't make any differnece who the Tories had), and that could change in a year as Starmer methodically works through his plan while Johnson shambles around:

1. Look unthreatening and patriotic (tick)
    2. Look competent (tick)
    3. Choose a convincing Shadow Cabinet and control the NEC (tick)
    4. Develop some policies (work just starting)
    5. Campaign! (see you in 2023/4)

PB is in general pretty sarcastic about Starmer, and even Labour loyalists like me are restive, but I concede he's good at having a plan and sticking to it.
  • Options

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Can anyone point to someone who has benefited from BREXIT? It would seem to the layman that if you walk away from a market of 400,000,000 people and replace it with one of 30,000,000 which is inaccessible there is a prima facie case for saying you have lost out!
    No. But you did miss the news that Brexit has made trading with Europe more difficult and expensive, and it is due to get worse next year.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Endillion said:

Roger said:
    By reminding everyone of his previous display of exceptionally poor judgment?
    No. By reminding people that the Jews have a proud record of standing up for left wing causes like anti- apartheid and that they have always been at the vanguard of anti fascist movements wherever they have shown themselves.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,674
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

The fishermen nevertheless deserve a fair herring.
  • Options

Australia reports 11,258 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

It's not only all positive in the Cricket Tests then?
  • Options

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

No. But you did miss the news that Brexit has made trading with Europe more difficult and expensive, and it is due to get worse next year.
    You mean next week ...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Lets also not forget as piss poor as England batting is, we are relying on a 39 year old for wickets....when Anderson and Broad are gone, none of the second string bowlers have shown they are anywhere near as dangerous, especially away from England. Woakes and Robinson might be useful in England, but in Australia they are too slow to trouble the batsman, Robinson is slower than Anderson and can't bend it like a banana.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

The fishermen nevertheless deserve a fair herring.
    Despite being all kippers.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

"There are no Americans at the airport"... https://twitter.com/btsportcricket/status/1475641312993071110

The players just aren't there. They aren't there because county cricket isn't providing them.

It isn't providing them because it isn't fit for purpose, and hasn't been for a hundred years.

A reorganisation into ten regional teams would make professionals fight for contracts, up the standard of the competition and make the games mean something.

Right now, whole swathes of the country are completely unrepresented by this most bankrupt of bankrupt competitions and all too few have any interest whatever.

Who do you follow at county level if you live in Cornwall, Devon, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire or Lincolnshire?
    I think all the non first class counties have county teams that play in the national counties competitions. Oxfordshire are the current champions.

Devon lost their most recent match, last August, against Shropshire by 3 wickets. Haggett and Wagg top-scored for either side, both with 109, but Wagg had match figures of 6-34 against Haggett's 5-81, and so Shropshire were the winners.

I fear that is the future for the first-class game as a whole. Recorded in a dusty corner of the internet by a small team of obsessed nerds, but ignored by the rest of the world.
    I keep reading the county game has been pushed to the margins, but isn't that at least partly to try to raise money in other ways to subsidise it?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,541
    edited December 2021

Equally true of the cabinet, apparently.
    Though that’s probably me being generous to them.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847
    I'm not as much a cricket fan as some on here but I do think there are some extenuating circumstances with Covid, the lack of match practice etc.

When playing Australia on their home wickets you need every advantage you can get and we've got nothing to help us. The fact is Root carries the batting disproportionately - top scorer in both innings once again and because of the various absences a long tail so once he went it is all too often a swift collapse and out to field.

Joe Root is a bit like Dean Smith at Norwich currently - the will may be there to fight but the means aren't and with every defeat the spirit of the squad deteriorates that little further. The same mistakes are repeated and as we all know if you repeat the same actions you're likely to get the same result.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Lets also not forget as piss poor as England batting is, we are relying on a 39 year old for wickets....when Anderson and Broad are gone, none of the second string bowlers have shown they are anywhere near as dangerous, especially away from England.

The cracks have also been papered over by recruiting players with links to other countries.

Pietersen, Trott et al.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited December 2021

Does that 50% include the entire Cabinet?
    It would appear so.
    Edit: Beaten to it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It is no coincidence the one tour in the last 18 years that England actually won a Test match, they had three warmups against very strong sides including Australia A.
    True, but also a batting line up that would be straight in ahead of the current lot, Root excepted.
  • Options

And they will still have had less cricket after three tests than used to be the case before the first one had started.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,500
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Quite a few in Scotland - notably the inshore ones who sent a lot of e.g. crustaceans to France - didn't, I be lieve.
    I think the perception on fisheries will turn around more quickly than on farming.

I note, eg, that the recent UK / Norway / EU agreement has been welcomed, as a straw in the wind.

What I would say it needs is a long term policy from UK Gov, about how they will be managing fisheries in the long-term ie 2026 and beyond. We are now able to have a more resource-conservative conservation oriented policy than the CFP. The sooner the better, and needs to be cooperative across devolved nations and perhaps with other coastal states. I'd frame it as part of a policy for the coastal economy post-Covid and post-EU.

Won't happen whilst BoJo is in Downing Street, as he can't plan beyond the end of the current half hour.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

The indications that I'm getting from 2019 Boris fans is that his appeal has gone - completely - and it is very unlikely that it will return. The CP has a big decision to make and the sooner the better I think - would provide a couple of years for a new leader to re-fashion things.
    All those months of those of us who knew what he was like being told that he would always be enduring electoral magic, and here we are, just as we always said we would be…..

Spot on - the site is full of very wise folk predicting with various degrees of certainty that the w/e will come and the being all smug when it happens - only to be saddos again the following Monday..
    I feel privileged to be in at the birth of a new meme: we said Boris was the Messiah, but we never said for how long.

Just to repeat: White Star Line statement 17/4/1912 "It would be naive to overlook the fact that all ships have a finite lifespan..."
    Just to repeat: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly Roy."
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,192
    MISTY said:

MISTY said:

Scott_xP said:

I keep reading the county game has been pushed to the margins, but isn't that at least partly to try to raise money in other ways to subsidise it?
    It's because there is more money to be made from one day cricket matches, yes.

Ultimately, though, the cross-subsidisation model doesn't work. If first-class cricket doesn't make enough money by itself to sustain the sport then we'll end up only with the one-day matches. And I think we will have lost something special.

At the moment Test cricket in England makes lots of money for the ECB, so they should recognise that they need to support a strong first-class county game to ensure that the mediocrity of the England team doesn't turns fans off. Instead we have the Decimal competition.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Noel Gallagher says the Labour Party has betrayed the working class and suggests he may even set up his own party

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10349403/Noel-Gallagher-claims-Labour-Party-betrayed-working-classes.html
  • Options
    How long is it since some speculated that gratitude for Brexit would be a factor at the next election ?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

A bit like the "Big Society" then.

This was something @Taz touched on yesterday and here I speak as an East Londoner - is there a sense in other parts of the country of a neglect from "London" both financial and political? Is it a question of money on its own because there are plenty of southern councils who would claim they don't have enough either?

So, we whack 5p on income tax (calm down Barty) for example and say all this money is going to restore local services in the north and other parts of the country or on infrastructure projects. Is that it or is there something more fundamental going on in terms of communities, how people live and their aspirations/expectations?

Instead of the "South" telling the "North" what Levelling Up means perhaps the North should be telling the South what the problems are (and I'd be honest about politically sclerotic councils and apathetic communities) and what it is they actually want and need - is it free parking in the town centre, is it a nice health centre, is it more Police to stamp out anti-social behaviour and petty crime or a decent bus service?

I don't know but Levelling Up sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
  • Options
    No cricket on terrestrial TV doesn't help.
    Coaches report when they go into schools they have to spend most of the first session explaining the rules of the game.
    Very few children these days have seen a game of cricket.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

To be fair to them even if we were back in the single market as long as we were still out of the EU we would also be out of the CFP.

Hence Norway and Iceland are in the EEA but not the EU
    UK, Irish and Danish fishermen were cynically mugged in 1973 when fish were declared a common EU resource a few hours before membership applications were received; I don't think we will be back in the CFP. Norway voted narrowly to stay out of the EU, partly over this.

I'm quite interested in whether Ireland may eventually come out teh CFP - can they do that? They get a tiny quota of their own fish, and it is all a bit tits-up including their fishing grounds management:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/ireland-faces-losing-thousands-of-tonnes-from-fish-quotas-after-eu-investigation-1.4485289
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Just to repeat: "The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly Roy."
    Hahaha hahaha haha ha ha

You need to distinguish between someone burning brightly and someone wallowing in a shallow puddle of their own bodily waste. Boris has not spent the last two years watching C beams glitter by the Tannhauser Gates.

• Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    dixiedean said:

Coaches report when they go into schools they have to spend most of the first session explaining the rules of the game.

That was what the Hundred was supposed to help with.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    edited December 2021
    TV delivered and set up, holy shit it makes a huge difference. Tested out The Witcher on Netflix, it's like having a cinema in my front room.

Also glad we went one size up, we were planning on the 65" but we got the 83" instead. Worth the extra IMO.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Quite a few in Scotland - notably the inshore ones who sent a lot of e.g. crustaceans to France - didn't, I be lieve.
    I think the perception on fisheries will turn around more quickly than on farming.

I note, eg, that the recent UK / Norway / EU agreement has been welcomed, as a straw in the wind.

What I would say it needs is a long term policy from UK Gov, about how they will be managing fisheries in the long-term ie 2026 and beyond. We are now able to have a more resource-conservative conservation oriented policy than the CFP. The sooner the better, and needs to be cooperative across devolved nations and perhaps with other coastal states. I'd frame it as part of a policy for the coastal economy post-Covid and post-EU.

Won't happen whilst BoJo is in Downing Street, as he can't plan beyond the end of the current half hour.
    Quite so. One issue is that fisheries are devolved - but HMG Brexit legislation has ignored this. Not sure of the current state of play but it certainly has not helped get sorted out.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

Surely not before the boundary review, which is Autumn 2023 or Spring 2024 implementation afaics?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    dixiedean said:

Super short sighted decision by the ECB to move it all to Sky. Just think of the momentum if it had stayed there, after that dreamy series in 2005.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    MaxPB said:

TV delivered and set up, holy shit it makes a huge difference. Tested out The Witcher on Netflix, it's like having a cinema in my front room.

Perfect for the test match...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    HYUFD said:

Noel Gallagher says the Labour Party has betrayed the working class and suggests he may even set up his own party

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10349403/Noel-Gallagher-claims-Labour-Party-betrayed-working-classes.html

An Oasis of left-wing purity?
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

dixiedean said:

That was what the Hundred was supposed to help with.
    Thing is, you could have done that very easily with the existing Blast, just by separating domestic and international cricket in the broadcasting rights deal.

The Hundred is not a good enough excuse for that.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,724
    edited December 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Hahaha hahaha haha ha ha

You need to distinguish between someone burning brightly and someone wallowing in a shallow puddle of their own bodily waste. Boris has not spent the last two years watching C beams glitter by the Tannhauser Gates.

80 seat majority. ✅
    Higher vote share in England than even Tony Blair every achieved. ✅
    New trade deal that scrapped the backstop. ✅
    Got Brexit Done. ✅
    Got the country through a global pandemic. ✅
    First country on the entire planet to be rolling out vaccines. ✅
    Best in the world amongst major countries for rolling out both vaccines and boosters. ✅

That's a fantastic record of achievement. He's burnt out now and needs to be replaced, but one of the best post-war PMs compressed into a two-year period. We have had about ten years of "events" in that two year period though.

EDIT: Even after burning out he's still better than the Leader of the Opposition and the devolved administration leaders. Only such leader to resist imposing even more unnecessary Covid restrictions. ✅
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Fair point, conceded.

Still wondering where Matt's 11th ground is though. I know women's tests and ODIs are played at New Road and I think Taunton and Canterbury as well, but I don't think they're classed as international grounds.
    Bramall Lane is a Test ground but only hosted one match and is no longer used for cricket.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Fair point, conceded.

Bramall Lane is a Test ground but only hosted one match and is no longer used for cricket.
    That was 120 years ago!
  • Options

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lords, the oval, Southampton, Bristol, edgbaston, Trent bridge, Cardiff, old trafford, headingly, Durham. Where is number 11?
    Taunton.

England v SA 2017.

(Says Wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_men's_cricket_grounds_in_England_and_Wales)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Fair point, conceded.

That was 120 years ago!
    Quite a few County grounds have hosted ODIs and T20Is, I'm not sure if any others are currently used for England home matches. Maybe Taunton?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Yes, good point. Traditionally, the team would have taken a couple of weeks off at the end of the domestic season, then headed down under for a month before the Ashes started.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also glad we went one size up, we were planning on the 65" but we got the 83" instead. Worth the extra IMO.

What bad boy have you got yourself?
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Taunton.

England v SA 2017.

(Says Wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_men's_cricket_grounds_in_England_and_Wales)
    I don't think a one-off T20I and two World Cup games the most recent of which was nearly 23 years ago make an international ground.

It is a beautiful venue though. On a par with New Road or Chester Le Street for the backdrop.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Quite so. One issue is that fisheries are devolved - but HMG Brexit legislation has ignored this. Not sure of the current state of play but it certainly has not helped get sorted out.
    I'd start by entirely retiring the current quota system in 2026, and rebuilding from the ground up with a strong priority on inshore fishing (to 6 or 12 miles) perhaps for locally owned boats under 10m.

But that's a future debate.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

This is a fair question.

After awful Ashes defeat, will England ever be good at Test cricket again?
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/28/after-awful-ashes-defeat-will-england-will-ever-be-good-at-test-cricket-again-cricket-australia
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MattW said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Headingly
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 11th?
    Excuse me but ...

Lord's
    Oval
    Sophia Gardens
    Rose Bowl
    Trent Bridge
    Chester Le Street
    Old Trafford
    Edgbaston
    Bristol

Which one is the 10th?
    Fair point, conceded.

That was 120 years ago!
    Although Yorkshire played County games there into the seventies.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

The Sony 83" A90J. Go big or go home!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

Don't Look back in anger...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I'm often vaguely tempted to subscribe to The Atlantic, as they do produce interesting articles. Here's one with some PB relevance (in terms of how we see each other):

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/12/liberals-conservatives-wrong-about-each-other/620996/?utm_source=feed
  • Options
    Foxy said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

What's the Story?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Nice...once you have an OLED, you wonder how you ever watched telly without it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,599
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

What's the Story?
    Just a bunch of Champagne Supernova Socialists.
  • Options
    What kind of biscuits are we having at this week's panic? Or is it postponed to Thursday due to the Bank Holidays?

I wonder how high cases might get before they peak now? Thanks to the Bank Holiday impact I could easily imagine us surpassing a quarter of a million cases getting reported in a day which would be quite some achievement.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

What's the Story?
    Just a bunch of Champagne Supernova Socialists.
    Trying to take back the Red Wonderwall?
  • Options

What kind of biscuits are we having at this week's panic? Or is it postponed to Thursday due to the Bank Holidays?

I wonder how high cases might get before they peak now? Thanks to the Bank Holiday impact I could easily imagine us surpassing a quarter of a million cases getting reported in a day which would be quite some achievement.

Biscuits? I thought you were more of a Marathon man.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That is one huge screen. You'll be able to see even the tiniest bead of snot on the end of Johnson's nose at the next Covid presser.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That is one huge screen. You'll be able to see even the tiniest bead of snot on the end of Johnson's nose at the next Covid presser.
    Although even on the earliest, most rubbish TVs from the 1930s there is no difficulty seeing the bullshit coming out of his mouth.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Don't deadname Mr Snickers please. :)
  • Options
    It was his flagship promise to ‘level up’ places that have put up with decades of decline. Now the PM’s white paper is delayed, the Cabinet is in disarray and most of Britain doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. We deserve so much better than this.
    https://politi.co/3qvmOdd
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

You'll Starburst his bubble.
  • Options
    Which government would be better at managing the economy?

A Conservative government led by Boris Johnson: 30% (-2 from 29 Nov)
    A Labour government led by Keir Starmer: 20% (+1)
    Neither: 28% (+2)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/trackers/which-government-would-be-better-at-managing-the-economy?period=1yr https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1475797136793116674/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It was his flagship promise to ‘level up’ places that have put up with decades of decline. Now the PM’s white paper is delayed, the Cabinet is in disarray and most of Britain doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. We deserve so much better than this.

Do we? We all knew the man was a chump before we went to vote. Now it turns out he's a chump, it's no good saying we deserve better. We got what we asked for.
  • Options
    Is Boris Johnson competent or incompetent?

Competent: 22% (-7 from 1 Nov)
    Incompetent: 64% (+7)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/is-boris-johnson-incompetent https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1475798037444403200/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

"The spokesperson specified that leveling up “means boosting living standards, improving public services, enhancing civic pride and strengthening local leadership.” "

They forgot the cute, fluffy kittens bit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Farooq said:

Mx Snickers surely?
  • Options
    Is Boris Johnson trustworthy or untrustworthy?

Trustworthy: 15% (-6 from 1 Nov)
    Untrustworthy: 69% (+8)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/is-boris-johnson-trustworthy https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1475798528790249473/photo/1
  • Options
    Is Boris Johnson likeable or dislikeable?

Likeable: 36% (-7 from 1 Nov)
    Dislikeable: 51% (+8)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/is-boris-johnson-likeable https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1475799021755191300/photo/1
  • Options
    I find it interesting that cricket is so widely discussed on here. In real life the only person I ever knew who followed it my was, now departed, Grandad. And I’m in Yorkshire. I just don’t know anyone who plays or follows cricket. These people must be out there, there are small local clubs dotted about clinging on. I just don’t know anybody who gives a shit.

Just driven past a mobile Covid testing lab in a car park. The car park wasn’t huge, about 20 spaces, but with the van and all the people wanting to get tested it was rammed. Cars queuing on the road. Talking to people, lots and lots of people are testing positive. It’s ripping through the population but everyone seems resigned to it. Perhaps that’s where we are as a nation now. Get your jabs, get it and feel crap for a few days. Don’t get jabbed, it’s your own bloody fault if you die.

Anecdote alert: my mum, a keen Leave voter said, admittedly with a couple of gins inside her on Boxing Day, that Brexit is crap, we were lied to, she wishes she’d voted Remain.
  • Options
    These figures are scary. One in six think him trustworthy? One in four think him strong? One third find him likeable?

Who are these people? What would it take to change their minds?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Although even on the earliest, most rubbish TVs from the 1930s there is no difficulty seeing the bullshit coming out of his mouth.
    Yep, no high res needed there.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Doesn’t anybody want a first?

Cool. I can cuddle up in bed now. 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩

PS would be rude of me not to comment on the header. I understand Mike, but I can hear Bruce Forsyth saying, just a bit of fun, just a bit of fun.

I confess. In the cold light of morning (err afternoon?) I got it wrong. It wasn’t Bruce Forsyth I was thinking of. It was Peter Snow.

“Now remember - this is just a bit of fun, just a bit of fun, but if the Shropshire North by election was repeated at the General Election, here we go, in our virtual reality House of Commons, the result of Shropshire North if the Tories can’t do any better General Election night, and who is going to be on the government benches? yes, it’s the Lib Dems. remember this is just a bit of fun but there they all go like a golden puddle over the seats that used to be blue, and still going, still flowing, over the benches that used to have Labour and SNP on them, not any more look how this golden shower floods the chamber, remember this is just a bit of fun, but no room for the speaker he is replaced by a Lib Dem, and still going, out the doors, passed the statue (we are all trying to guess who it is when TV interviews are in front of it) still going this Biblical flood of Davey’s Party, into Annie’s, a couple of hours later slipping out of Annie’s, down the river terrace - where at the buffet a lobbyist tries to sell you sunlit uplands - and still going, still going out onto the Thames into a boat chartered by Richard Branson, still going onto the boat that’s rammed it piloted by Farage, and there, finally, strapped in a harness high above Parliament beneath the Baby Trump blimp.

Remember this is just a bit of fun, likelihood voters will awake General Election Morning having forgotten the Lib Dems even exist.

Over to you David.”
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

These figures are scary. One in six think him trustworthy? One in four think him strong? One third find him likeable?

Who are these people? What would it take to change their minds?

An alternative or Opposition existing would be a starting point.

As badly burnt out as Boris has become, he's still been far stronger than the Leader of the Opposition and every single devolved administration when it comes resisting new restrictions post-Christmas.

What a shame when the PM is so weak, that the Opposition and devolved administrations are even weaker.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Is Boris Johnson likeable or dislikeable?

Likeable: 36% (-7 from 1 Nov)
    Dislikeable: 51% (+8)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/is-boris-johnson-likeable https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1475799021755191300/photo/1

What are you left with when the lovable rogue ceases to be lovable?
This discussion has been closed.