Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This video is a good introduction to tomorrow’s by-election – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Omnium said:

Charles said:

FPT

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Philip is the only Johnson fan left

Not true - I'd count myself as a supporter, despite also thinking he's been entirely useless for months. I'd currently not employ his corpse as a doorstop.

However.. if he can be arsed to get out of bed one morning then he's still a capable poitician.
    I'm intrigued. Whose corpse would you employ as a doorstop?
    Big money in that you know. Ecorpsefordoorstops.com does a roaring trade. Mummy's are the top sellers (as they last) and most subject to fakery too.
    There is an American friend of mine who seriously tried to source a mummy on the black market so he could source a Victorian-style mummy unwrapping party 😂

Apparently there is a specific piece of US legislation that bans the purchase of mummies…

(He was inspired because I had borrowed a mummy from a museum in Mansfield and he happened to be around when it was shipped to my place in London)
    Why did you borrow a mummy? (I know I'm going to regret asking!)
    As an aside, I sometimes work late at night. It’s an old building with lots of creaking especially on a stormy night.

Creepy is working in a dark building, with a storm outside and freaking floors… knowing there is a mummy in the next door room @IshmaelZ
  • France reports 65,713 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

Do you think they may have Omicron?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Professor shabir madhi from SA has said that Omicron might well not be any milder, it is the community immunity that causing the milder reactions among the younger population, resulting in uncoupling of hospitalisations vs cases. Hope that vaccination will have similar effect.

If you aren't vaxxed, you better pray to your god.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771

France reports 65,713 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

Everywhere has omicron...

But what's scary is that the French rise is probably 90% Delta
  • rcs1000 said:

France reports 65,713 new coronavirus cases, the biggest one-day increase on record

Everywhere has omicron...

But what's scary is that the French rise is probably 90% Delta
    I was obviously joking, but the serious point is do we have any clue about the proportion that is Delta vs Omicron.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

There remains the wonderful possibility that next year's Presidential election will be swung because of how similar the current variant sounds to one of the candidate's surnames.
    edited December 2021
    Endillion said:

There remains the wonderful possibility that next year's Presidential election will be swung because of how similar the current variant sounds to one of the candidate's surnames.
    I think a bigger concern for Mr Quasi-Effective is if France get absolutely battered again by COVID. They have had 121K deaths so far.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,960

Endillion said:

I think a bigger concern for Mr Quasi-Effective is if France get absolutely battered again by COVID.
    Yeah, I'm saying there might be people who'll hold him personally responsible, because of subconscious association between words that sound similar.
  • Professor shabir madhi from SA has said that Omicron might well not be any milder, it is the community immunity that causing the milder reactions among the younger population, resulting in uncoupling of hospitalisations vs cases. Hope that vaccination will have similar effect.

Its possible, the acquired immunity of prior infections and vaccines are likely what makes the disease milder rather than the disease evolving per se. Which again is another reason to be very grateful so many [especially antivaxxers] got their natural immunity earlier this year.

On the other hand wasn't there a report earlier that the disease multiplies more in the nose but less in the lungs which would explain both milder symptoms and faster transmission?
  • Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I think a bigger concern for Mr Quasi-Effective is if France get absolutely battered again by COVID.
    Yeah, I'm saying there might be people who'll hold him personally responsible, because of subconscious association between words that sound similar.
    And people wondered why the disease wasn't called Xi which was next in line after skipping Nu because it sounded too much like new.

Whether Delta or Omicron its been probable for months that much of continental Europe would need to either go back into lockdown or have a winter wave. I suppose the only thing to hope for is that Omicron is actually milder than Delta in which case hopefully that wave while bad might not be as bad for them as it could have been?

Fingers crossed it could be a blessing in disguise?
    edited December 2021

Professor shabir madhi from SA has said that Omicron might well not be any milder, it is the community immunity that causing the milder reactions among the younger population, resulting in uncoupling of hospitalisations vs cases. Hope that vaccination will have similar effect.

Its possible, the acquired immunity of prior infections and vaccines are likely what makes the disease milder rather than the disease evolving per se. Which again is another reason to be very grateful so many [especially antivaxxers] got their natural immunity earlier this year.

On the other hand wasn't there a report earlier that the disease multiplies more in the nose but less in the lungs which would explain both milder symptoms and faster transmission?
    The figures are versus original COVID.

The lung replication is slowly, but no slowly than Delta. The big "boost" is the massive replication increase in the windpipe, which they say that is probably why it spreads so much faster, as you shed so much virus when you breath out.

They also stress these measures don't necessarily equate to severity of the disease.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I've only just now made the Macron -> Omicron connection.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    Talking of Macron, his political views are very flexible.

• CiceroCicero Posts: 2,180
    RobD said:

Endillion said:

Endillion said:

I've only just now made the Macron -> Omicron connection.
    Well a micron and a macron are opposites...

Covid outbreak at sex offenders prison infects 100 inmates
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-59676911

Going to be through the prisons in days.

Is it inappropriate to say "Oh dear, how sad, nevermind" again?
    So the new Tory slogan is no longer "Prison Works". More "send them to the workhouse and let nature take its course". Such enlightened thinking.
    Leon said:

Fwiw I’m pretty sure I had Omicron 1-2 weeks ago and I have the same waves of fatigue. Quite strange. Will feel absolutely fine for a morning then suddenly fall fast asleep for 2 hours in the arvo. Which I never normally do

Was it Gin o'clock?
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Just watched the video and its a fair one.... it doesnt feel like the old yellow "surge" to me - my money is on a Blue hold..... but I may be wrong.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

Just watched the video and its a fair one.... it doesnt feel like the old yellow "surge" to me - my money is on a Blue hold..... but I may be wrong.

I've just laid off some of my con green @1.81

currently;

LD -£
    Con +£££
    Lab +££
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

So, if the Mirror is right the extremely rich Rishi Sunak is in California on business; the state where he met his wife and where he, apparently, owns a home in Santa Monica and has lots of friends there. I'm not sure why this business trip wasn't public knowledge, but it clearly wasn't. Wonder why.

Could be a problem for Sunak. Whatever one's view of Omicron and what should be done, we are in the middle of another Covid crisis and it's clearly going to have major economic implications for lots of businesses. But the man to decide whether to lend support to hospitality businesses (which are going to lose loads of money whether or not more restrictions are put in place) is on a jolly business trip in California. I'll bet Cyclefree is livid.

Sunak has relatives there. Part of his wife's family are Californian.

And Cyclefree is always livid about something, in any case.
    I've just got home.

My Daughter's business is taking 40% of the revenue she was taking in November let alone December. She is beyond depressed.

She normally closes for the first 2 weeks of January. Unless support is forthcoming, as other countries faced with this variant have provided, she will not be reopening. There is no point.

A business which survived, was viable, increased its turnover and was profitable will disappear because it simply cannot survive the loss of Xmas business without support. So all the support that was given before will have been for nothing.

Jobs lost. Local suppliers and breweries lose another customer and a village loses a venue. The government loses the tax revenues. What are the chances of the owner finding a buyer or tenant in this sort of environment? And yet the government is proposing to spend £21 million in the area to increase its attractiveness as a tourist destination. Where are people supposed to eat and stay when all the local venues have closed?

She is young. She is entrepreneurial and tough. But she looks utterly beaten and abandoned. It breaks my heart. She will not be the only one who feels like this. She and her generation are this country's future and this government is treating them like shit.

I expect better. At least I used to. Not any more.

More than livid I am utterly contemptuous of people like you who are so dismissive of what is happening to the young. And even more contemptuous of people like Sunak, cosseted by their money, who have no clue at the damage they are doing.

But I will wait and when I have the opportunity I will get my own back at the ballot box. I will not be the only one.

This discussion has been closed.