Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This video is a good introduction to tomorrow’s by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    ITV News at Ten has gone rather Day Today.
  • Options
    We are now doing Sweden with omi.

Interesting.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Taz said:
    The big question that AFAIK the media seemed to totally miss, the anti-virals the government ordered. How many do we have, how many are coming very soon, and most importantly how do they plan to get them to vulnerable people, as they need to start taking them as soon as they symptoms.....we can't afford to have people ringing their GP or 111, scheduling some sort of consultation, then wait for PCR test result, .....
    Sadly molnupiravir looks about as useless as a chocolate teapot. Barely made it past FDA approval. The GSK antibody treatment looks better though and we've got a few hundred thousand courses of that on the way fairly soon. It's made to fight a wide spectrum of variants and has shown very good efficacy against Omicron in the lab.
  • Options

Taz said:
    The big question that AFAIK the media seemed to totally miss, the anti-virals the government ordered. How many do we have, how many are coming very soon, and most importantly how do they plan to get them to vulnerable people, as they need to start taking them as soon as they symptoms.....we can't afford to have people ringing their GP or 111, scheduling some sort of consultation, then a test, .....
    I hope they just pop them in the post.
    Too slow...that could be 24-48hrs before you get them. You need to start taking as soon as you start to become symptomatic. Otherwise the government are just setting light to $1000 a pop.

That is why I think it is rather an important question.

If you say people can pick them up from pharmacies, then you are asking infected vulnerable people to go out into the community. Delivery them to their door? Amazon?
    Couriers, then.
    That seems like the only reasonable solution, but as I say I think it is rather a pertinent question to be asking....we don't want a repeat of oh we need to do a 1 million jabs a day, anybody asked all those volunteers we trained up....erhhhhh....wait 2 weeks....shit I think we better write to them.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Blast, my mum has tested positive on her LFT, she saw my B-i-L on Saturday. My dad says she's feeling good, just coughing a bit and got a headache, he's keeping an eye out for anything more serious but she's in pretty good health so everything should be fine. 3x Pfizer doses, third one done about a month ago, it's London so it's probably the big Omi, all of our collective symptoms line up with it anyway.

It doesn't seem right to 'like' that post so... I hope all are on the mend soon.
    Thanks, hopefully it will pass in a few days!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,538
    MaxPB said:

Blast, my mum has tested positive on her LFT, she saw my B-i-L on Saturday. My dad says she's feeling good, just coughing a bit and got a headache, he's keeping an eye out for anything more serious but she's in pretty good health so everything should be fine. 3x Pfizer doses, third one done about a month ago, it's London so it's probably the big Omi, all of our collective symptoms line up with it anyway.

Hope all turns out well, Max.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

ydoethur said:

Has vaccine science become the most important thing on the school syllabus?

Don't be ridiculous. As if it could displace History.
    I hope you know the full history of vaccines!
    I am Jennerally sound on them.

Good night.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

1 for TSE and others who may care about F1

https://medium.com/@gwkj1/analysing-the-fia-rulebook-after-the-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-a-lawyers-perspective-571ca3810060

A lawyers viewpoint on the finale - if you follow the rulebook correctly it isn't good for Red Bull and Max

You get bad decisions in sports every single day. And sometimes the strict letter of the rules aren't followed. But the results stand. And so they should rather than getting zillions of lawyers involved. This is sport not a contract dispute.
  • Options

Taz said:
    The big question that AFAIK the media seemed to totally miss, the anti-virals the government ordered. How many do we have, how many are coming very soon, and most importantly how do they plan to get them to vulnerable people, as they need to start taking them as soon as they symptoms.....we can't afford to have people ringing their GP or 111, scheduling some sort of consultation, then a test, .....
    Too slow...that could be 24-48hrs before you get them. You need to start taking as soon as you start to become symptomatic. Otherwise the government are just setting light to $1000 a pop.

If you say people can pick them up from pharmacies, then you are asking infected vulnerable people to go out into the community. Delivery them to their door? Amazon?
    Couriers, then.
    That seems like the only reasonable solution, but as I say I think it is rather a pertinent question to be asking....we don't want a repeat of oh we need to do a 1 million jabs a day, anybody asked all those volunteers we trained up....erhhhhh....wait 2 weeks....shit I think we better write to them.
    Some people will be well enough to go and collect them from a local centre. I did that with my oxymeter, I drove up, it was delivered through the window.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    No need to have a cow!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    MaxPB said:

Taz said:
    The big question that AFAIK the media seemed to totally miss, the anti-virals the government ordered. How many do we have, how many are coming very soon, and most importantly how do they plan to get them to vulnerable people, as they need to start taking them as soon as they symptoms.....we can't afford to have people ringing their GP or 111, scheduling some sort of consultation, then wait for PCR test result, .....
    Sadly molnupiravir looks about as useless as a chocolate teapot. Barely made it past FDA approval. The GSK antibody treatment looks better though and we've got a few hundred thousand courses of that on the way fairly soon. It's made to fight a wide spectrum of variants and has shown very good efficacy against Omicron in the lab.
    I thought the Pfizer Paxlovid was decent? Do we have any of that coming?

I have this horrible feeling by the time any of the useful stuff actually arrives and the government have set up a proper efficient system, Omicron will have come and gone, and now be its spring vacation somewhere warmer.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Sunak has fucked this. Holy shit, i didnt think "on work jolly" was going to be the reason he wasn't here.

Do you think that normal members of the public (I.e. not obsessive like us on pb) give two shits where sunak is, or why he missed a vote that was always going to pass?
    Every single person in the hospitality sector at the moment is absolutely furious with the government. Finding out the bloke holding the purse strings is in the vicinity of his holiday home in America is not going to lighten the mood.
    What do they want the government to do? Close and furlough? Free money as support? Wish Covid away? None of this is easy.
    It absolutely isn't easy, but money - however it's delivered - would be a good investment. This is about rescuing otherwise viable enterprises which are being undone by the unusual circumstances of Covid. You bail them now, you keep the tax revenue from them coming in after all this is finally over and all the employees stay in jobs. Let them collapse and you end up without the tax revenue and paying through the nose to keep the ex-employees on benefits.

All of this is only what was done during the previous lockdowns. It's small wonder that the businesses are expecting similar help again now is it?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

fpt

I am still refusing to panic about Omicron. The doom all seems to be from models based on rapidly rising cases but almost nothing on virulence. Cases started to rise in London three weeks ago. What is the actual position of London hospitals. Are they starting to come under strain? How many on ventilators? In ICU? Being given oxygen?

I'll happily change my stance if someone will give me the data.

Hospitalisation numbers are sharply up today (+308 over last week) after weeks of drift. Could be a blip, but probably not.
    Increasing number of admissions. Gone from about 100 to 160 per day. The number on ventilators has not really gone up yet.
  • Options

Interesting.

Well Sweden plus vaccines which reduce hospitalisations by at least two thirds with two doses and we'll into the 90s with three.

I think it's been said on here quite a few times, if vaccines aren't enough (and to be clear, I think they are) then what additional measures will be added to the fabric of life to keep the virus under control?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    kinabalu said:

ITV News at Ten has gone rather Day Today.

I’ve seen that. They would do the best coverage of the end of the world tbh
  • Options

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    Some people will be well enough to go and collect them from a local centre. I did that with my oxymeter, I drove up, it was delivered through the window.
    At the moment, there isn't enough supply for us normal folk, these will be only going to extremely old and vulnerable people.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Foxy said:

Not really. If working part time as a GP, what they do in their free time is up to them.

Unless you are going full Corbyn and want private practice abolished. Private medicine is nearly all done by NHS doctors after hours.
    There's an argument for it. Medical services feels like a good that thought be allocated according to need rather than ability to pay.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

https://medium.com/@gwkj1/analysing-the-fia-rulebook-after-the-abu-dhabi-grand-prix-a-lawyers-perspective-571ca3810060

A lawyers viewpoint on the finale - if you follow the rulebook correctly it isn't good for Red Bull and Max

You get bad decisions in sports every single day. And sometimes the strict letter of the rules aren't followed. But the results stand. And so they should rather than getting zillions of lawyers involved. This is sport not a contract dispute.
    How many games change the rules 99.9% of the way through a season?
  • Options

Taz said:
    Not enough, and not soon enough.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

How long is it likely to be before we finally know how dangerous/mild the new variant is?

A couple of months, because remember we also have a load of people with delta and we don't really know who has what, so lots of overlapping data. You won't be able to easily separate out all the moving pieces of delta, omicron, vaccine, booster, age, prior infection etc.
    If Omicron is dangerous, it will be putting people in hospital next week.
    That wasn't the question.
    Yes it was. We will know if Omicron is dangerous if people start being admitted to hospital in the next few days.
    The key is admitted with or for Omicron
    If it's with, then the overall hospitalisation rate won't go up.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    NEW: Senior Tories are braced to lose the North Shropshire by-election tomorrow.

“We are going to lose” says one.

Liberal Democrats concur “we think we can do it” but much rests on whether soft Conservative voters flip yellow or decide to stay at home.

https://www.ft.com/content/8f7a8013-d210-41b1-9b5e-1f740a397c39
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:
    Not enough, and not soon enough.
    That was my presumption, but Witty said about them this evening and AFAIK nobody challenged him or asked any further question about them. Much more important to waste his time trying to get him to weigh in on a political scandal.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Taz said:
    I thought the Pfizer Paxlovid was decent? Do we have any of that coming?

I have this horrible feeling by the time any of the useful stuff actually arrives and the government have set up a proper efficient system, Omicron will have come and gone, and now be its spring vacation somewhere warmer.
    Yeah, that's got the EUA but Pfizer are still ramping manufacturing and certification of manufacturing sites. ETA is supposedly late Jan, which is probably post big Omi. We're fending for ourselves with vaccines.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

fpt

I am still refusing to panic about Omicron. The doom all seems to be from models based on rapidly rising cases but almost nothing on virulence. Cases started to rise in London three weeks ago. What is the actual position of London hospitals. Are they starting to come under strain? How many on ventilators? In ICU? Being given oxygen?

Hospitalisation numbers are sharply up today (+308 over last week) after weeks of drift. Could be a blip, but probably not.
    Increasing number of admissions. Gone from about 100 to 160 per day. The number on ventilators has not really gone up yet.
    I think there is a lead time of 4-5 days from admission to ventilators being required.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

FPT

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Philip is the only Johnson fan left

Not true - I'd count myself as a supporter, despite also thinking he's been entirely useless for months. I'd currently not employ his corpse as a doorstop.

However.. if he can be arsed to get out of bed one morning then he's still a capable poitician.
    I'm intrigued. Whose corpse would you employ as a doorstop?
    Big money in that you know. Ecorpsefordoorstops.com does a roaring trade. Mummy's are the top sellers (as they last) and most subject to fakery too.
    There is an American friend of mine who seriously tried to source a mummy on the black market so he could source a Victorian-style mummy unwrapping party 😂

Apparently there is a specific piece of US legislation that bans the purchase of mummies…

(He was inspired because I had borrowed a mummy from a museum in Mansfield and he happened to be around when it was shipped to my place in London)
    What an utterly creepy piece of shit. Why would you be friends with someone like that?
    That's not creepy. The archeology of dead bodies is fascinating.

In Victorian times, they used to grind mummies up and use them as medicine. That's creepy.
    And for a millennium before that. It is precisely because taphology and onomy are serious subjects that this pathetic striving for the rich and patrician look by trying to hold mummy unwrapping parties is so nauseating.
    I'd attend a mummy-unwrapping party tomorrow. Not that I move in the sane circles as Charles.
    Defile a corpse for entertainment, and destroy invaluable historical evidence, to shore up your claim to be a wannabe upper class c--t? Not sure you would.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    pigeon said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Sunak has fucked this. Holy shit, i didnt think "on work jolly" was going to be the reason he wasn't here.

Do you think that normal members of the public (I.e. not obsessive like us on pb) give two shits where sunak is, or why he missed a vote that was always going to pass?
    Every single person in the hospitality sector at the moment is absolutely furious with the government. Finding out the bloke holding the purse strings is in the vicinity of his holiday home in America is not going to lighten the mood.
    What do they want the government to do? Close and furlough? Free money as support? Wish Covid away? None of this is easy.
    It absolutely isn't easy, but money - however it's delivered - would be a good investment. This is about rescuing otherwise viable enterprises which are being undone by the unusual circumstances of Covid. You bail them now, you keep the tax revenue from them coming in after all this is finally over and all the employees stay in jobs. Let them collapse and you end up without the tax revenue and paying through the nose to keep the ex-employees on benefits.

All of this is only what was done during the previous lockdowns. It's small wonder that the businesses are expecting similar help again now is it?
    We are not in lockdown. If restrictions are put on hospitality then I am sure money would follow.
  • Options

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    At the moment, there isn't enough supply for us normal folk, these will be only going to extremely old and vulnerable people.
    They are only approved for those with a couple of risk factors.
  • Options

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    They need to target the vulnerable. You test positive, they know who you are. I assume that's how I got my oxymeter, none of my local friends who have had Covid got one.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW: Senior Tories are braced to lose the North Shropshire by-election tomorrow.

Liberal Democrats concur “we think we can do it” but much rests on whether soft Conservative voters flip yellow or decide to stay at home.

I would be astonished if it was not a comfortable win for the lib dems, even a landslide
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I would be astonished if it was not a comfortable win for the lib dems, even a landslide
    Conservatives still odds on
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    History's rubbish - things in the Pasteur not worth bothering with.
    I thing there is a Lister of interesting history of infection control.
  • Options
    Wales rife with what appears to be fairly informed speculation that Drakeford is locking us down unilaterally from Friday.

Return to table service and rule of 6 in pubs
    Sport over 500 crowd behind closed doors
    Restrictions on household mixing
    Nightclubs closed
    And a whole other raft of petty measures.

Quite where the Welsh government are finding the money from to support these measures who knows.

Am deeply unimpressed. Will now have to book tickets to away games over Christmas if I want to see any live sport. That's if Drakeford doesn't shut the border again.

Also as a man in his late 40s who hasn't yet been called for my booster, can't book online due to the failure in Wales to institute a booking system, and where today the Health Minister has said no walk-in as they don't want to repeat the chaos of England (she means people queuing at vax centres), I am getting increasingly angry with the whole "Wait for your letter".

Happy bloody Christmas.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    Yes isn't it specifically available only to those people who are heavily immune deficient? Which makes sense as the standard antibody based treatments might not work very well for them. The likes of my wife and I won't be getting them to shift our infections, that's for sure.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

FPT

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Not true - I'd count myself as a supporter, despite also thinking he's been entirely useless for months. I'd currently not employ his corpse as a doorstop.

However.. if he can be arsed to get out of bed one morning then he's still a capable poitician.
    Big money in that you know. Ecorpsefordoorstops.com does a roaring trade. Mummy's are the top sellers (as they last) and most subject to fakery too.
    There is an American friend of mine who seriously tried to source a mummy on the black market so he could source a Victorian-style mummy unwrapping party 😂

Apparently there is a specific piece of US legislation that bans the purchase of mummies…

(He was inspired because I had borrowed a mummy from a museum in Mansfield and he happened to be around when it was shipped to my place in London)
    What an utterly creepy piece of shit. Why would you be friends with someone like that?

In Victorian times, they used to grind mummies up and use them as medicine. That's creepy.
    And for a millennium before that. It is precisely because taphology and onomy are serious subjects that this pathetic striving for the rich and patrician look by trying to hold mummy unwrapping parties is so nauseating.
    I'd attend a mummy-unwrapping party tomorrow. Not that I move in the sane circles as Charles.
    Not convinced ‘sane’ is a good description for such an activity.
  • Options

Wales rife with what appears to be fairly informed speculation that Drakeford is locking us down unilaterally from Friday.

Nightclubs closed

Quite where the Welsh government are finding the money from to support these measures who knows.

Am deeply unimpressed. Will now have to book tickets to away games over Christmas if I want to see any live sport. That's if Drakeford doesn't shut the border again.

Also as a man in his late 40s who hasn't yet been called for my booster, can't book online due to the failure in Wales to institute a booking system, and where today the Health Minister has said no walk-in as they don't want to repeat the chaos of England (she means people queuing at vax centres), I am getting increasingly angry with the whole "Wait for your letter".

Happy bloody Christmas.

Make sure you got the oven gloves you need for Christmas dinner....
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807

fpt

The main driver of case rises in London up to around December 6th was Delta going up, with Omicron as a minor signal. The slight rise in Delta was countered by booster vaccination improving immune response.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    Yes isn't it specifically available only to those people who are heavily immune deficient? Which makes sense as the standard antibody based treatments might not work very well for them. The likes of my wife and I won't be getting them to shift our infections, that's for sure.
    You've tested positive too?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Are we going to retrospectively award the 1971 league one title to Leeds Utd ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

FPT

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Defile a corpse for entertainment, and destroy invaluable historical evidence, to shore up your claim to be a wannabe upper class c--t? Not sure you would.
    Yes I would. My view is that dead bodies over say 100 years old are not due reverence, And there's so many mummies around the loss of evidence argument doesn't really hold water. In any case, it can be done better these days. And nothing to do with being wannabe upper-class, as I said, I find the archeology of dead bodies fascinating.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited December 2021
    So, if the Mirror is right the extremely rich Rishi Sunak is in California on business; the state where he met his wife and where he, apparently, owns a home in Santa Monica and has lots of friends there. I'm not sure why this business trip wasn't public knowledge, but it clearly wasn't. Wonder why.

Could be a problem for Sunak. Whatever one's view of Omicron and what should be done, we are in the middle of another Covid crisis and it's clearly going to have major economic implications for lots of businesses. But the man to decide whether to lend support to hospitality businesses (which are going to lose loads of money whether or not more restrictions are put in place) is on a jolly business trip in California. I'll bet Cyclefree is livid.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    Yeah this morning, caught it from my B-i-L on Sunday. Think that's why I felt so awful yesterday after my vax. Think it's Omicron, at least judging by the symptoms. Got a PCR test coming in the post.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

We are not in lockdown. If restrictions are put on hospitality then I am sure money would follow.
    No, the Government and Parliament have done worse, from the point of view of these sectors, than mandate another lockdown. As you say, that would entail providing the required support. Instead, they've gone out of their way to scare the shit out of people, put the country back on the treadmill of restrictions, and encouraged their advisers to go live on national television and tell people to minimise social contact. The result has been a tsunami of cancelled bookings. Thus, yes, the businesses can still trade, but most of their clientele suddenly won't touch them with a ten foot bargepole.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Good night.
    History's rubbish - things in the Pasteur not worth bothering with.
    I thing there is a Lister of interesting history of infection control.
    Naah, load of old Koch.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    edited December 2021

Nightclubs closed

Happy bloody Christmas.

He is not stopping our family Christmas no matter what he decides
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Did Leeds get their laces tied in injury time?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Hope all turns out well, Max.
    Likewise. Best of luck MaxPB.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Anyone else seeing an issue with unresponsive Twitter?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

As I said on the previous thread, Government action is killing people and destroying businesses. Saying its hard whilst destroying people's lives and livelihoods is not the actions of a responsible Government.
  • Options

So, if the Mirror is right the extremely rich Rishi Sunak is in California on business; the state where he met his wife and where he, apparently, owns a home in Santa Monica and has lots of friends there. I'm not sure why this business trip wasn't public knowledge, but it clearly wasn't. Wonder why.

Could be a problem for Sunak. Whatever one's view of Omicron and what should be done, we are in the middle of another Covid crisis and it's clearly going to have major economic implications for lots of businesses. But the man to decide whether to lend support to hospitality businesses (which are going to lose loads of money whether or not more restrictions are put in place) is on a jolly business trip in California. I'll bet Cyclefree is livid.

He is on HMG business seeking investment and opportunities to benefit the UK

We are not in lockdown and any help hospitality may need will only become apparent in the next few weeks when he will be back at his desk
  • Options

If true the tabloids are going to pounce on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Yes please - excellent idea. We woz robbed.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    Yeah this morning, caught it from my B-i-L on Sunday. Think that's why I felt so awful yesterday after my vax. Think it's Omicron, at least judging by the symptoms. Got a PCR test coming in the post.
    Oh dear. Its gonna be everywhere in a week. I shall be sticking to my FFP3, though I think London is a week or so ahead of Leicester with Omicron.

Hope all get though with minimal illness.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2021

No, I don't see an issue with that, at all. Quite the reverse, I might add.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,180

If only. It would have saved me from going down the twitter-hole of all the people hating on JK Rowling.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

FPT

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Yes I would. My view is that dead bodies over say 100 years old are not due reverence, And there's so many mummies around the loss of evidence argument doesn't really hold water. In any case, it can be done better these days. And nothing to do with being wannabe upper-class, as I said, I find the archeology of dead bodies fascinating.
    They are fascinating, and you are happy to see them trashed for entertainment purposes. OK.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

We are not in lockdown and any help hospitality may need will only become apparent in the next few weeks when he will be back at his desk
    Lol what
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,376
    edited December 2021
    *Betting related post. Major implications*

Sir Graham Brady has decided he will accept emails asking for a vote of confidence (followed up with a confirmatory phone call) rather than physical letters.

This means Boris Johnson is much more vulnerable. The Christmas break doesn't give him a firewall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/15/blow-boris-johnson-six-leaders-1922-committee-join-rebellion/
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Excellent, very thorough and objective defence of the man you would like to be next Tory leader, Big G.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Linesman signalled offside, ref didn't blow whistle. No passive offside in those days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZNt7C2Pfw

Arsenal won the title by a point, which was basically that goal.
  • Options

Good time to be out of London! Do they have a suitable castle for eye testing within driving distance?
  • Options

Nightclubs closed

It doesn't need to find the money. Business support packages are part of the competence of the UK Treasury.

The Welsh Government can do as it pleases and demand that Sunak comes up with the money. If he won't, then any damage done to Wales by the Chancellor's refusal to finance these measures (which it will doubtless present as absolutely necessary for public safety) can be blamed on the Tories.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,171
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.
    Oh dear. Its gonna be everywhere in a week. I shall be sticking to my FFP3, though I think London is a week or so ahead of Leicester with Omicron.

I think whatever is going to happen is going to be quick. The rate of spread is so rapid, that by mid January it’s going to be over, one way or another. I cannot see a 2020 style lockdown making that much difference.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Charles said:

FPT

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Not convinced ‘sane’ is a good description for such an activity.
    If Edit worked on my phone, I'd use it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    edited December 2021

Excellent, very thorough and objective defence of the man you would like to be next Tory leader, Big G.
    He can take the job the moment he lands back in the UK
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

One million cases per day by Xmas.

I can't see how we don't go into lockdown by this weekend unless Johnson locks his office door and does not answer the phones.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2021

Interesting.

Accelerating cases for a month but until now only a very modest rise in ICU admission/occupancy (until 3 days ago the growth was from 35 patients in ICU with Covid to 50 pateint in ICU with Covid over the last 30 days). But in the last three days they've gone from 50 Covid ICU cases to 80.
  • Options
    Nobody replied about whether they'd seen Brockmire when I asked the other night. I've finished watching it and loved every depraved moment of it.

I'm now watching a French show called Mixte (disappointingly Voltaire High in English) about a French school in the 60s admitting girls for the first time.

I'm much preferring it in French audio with subtitles; the French actors sound so much more convincing than the English dubbers.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

He can take the job the moment he lands back in the UK
    We're in the era of remote working. Just needs a decent internet connection.
  • Options

If only. It would have saved me from going down the twitter-hole of all the people hating on JK Rowling.
    Twitter's working again for me now. Damn!

On which topic, David Baddiel's documentary 'Social Media, Anger and Us' on the BBC2/iPlayer was very good I thought.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

No, I don't see an issue with that, at all. Quite the reverse, I might add.
    Hoho!
  • Options

Sir Graham Brady has decided he will accept emails asking for a vote of confidence (followed up with a confirmatory phone call) rather than physical letters.

This means Boris Johnson is much more vulnerable. The Christmas break doesn't give him a firewall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/15/blow-boris-johnson-six-leaders-1922-committee-join-rebellion/

Is that because a) the current crop of Tory MPs are incapable of writing physical letters, or b) they don't trust the Royal Mail?
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

I think whatever is going to happen is going to be quick. The rate of spread is so rapid, that by mid January it’s going to be over, one way or another. I cannot see a 2020 style lockdown making that much difference.
    We just need to suck it up. Maybe hide the vulnerable. Should only be a few weeks.
  • Options

Stirring by the 1922 committee. Not like you can't put a letter in the post.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

One thing I don't understand is the exponential spread. That makes some sense to start with but fairly quickly you must get to a point where 10/20/30% of people have been infected and so it has to slow down as they aren't gong to get re-infected right away.
  • Options

Hospitality is getting slaughtered. Christmas booking are evaporating. In a few weeks people will be out of business.
  • Options
    All this has happened before

In 2018, Boris Johnson went on a work trip to avoid having to vote for Heathrow expansion. He couldn't vote for it because he'd promised to "lie down in front of the bulldozers" to stop it, and he couldn't vote against it because he was a minister.

And all this will happen again
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Is that because a) the current crop of Tory MPs are incapable of writing physical letters, or b) they don't trust the Royal Mail?
    Why would they use royal mail? It would surely go through Parliament's internal mail.
  • Options

I have just had a very well hand written Christmas card from our mp, but then he is a family friend
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Interesting.

Accelerating cases for a month but until now only a very modest rise in ICU admission/occupancy (until 3 days ago the growth was from 35 patients in ICU with Covid to 50 pateint in ICU with Covid over the last 30 days). But in the last three days they've gone from 50 Covid ICU cases to 80.
    Where is that?
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

I can't see how we don't go into lockdown by this weekend unless Johnson locks his office door and does not answer the phones.
    The problem for the PM is that he has zero credit left with the party for lockdowns after burning so much of it by extending lockdowns beyond April and having expensive furlough and business support schemes running until September, then putting up taxes because, shit, it turns out those expensive schemes need to be paid for. If Boris had been a bit more headstrong and unlocked the moment all groups 1-9 had their second dose (mid May iirc) and ended all of the support schemes in June he might have just enough credit left with the party to push the lockdown option for a few weeks in January. As it stands far too many Tory MPs have realised that another lockdown is another 2p on NI or income tax which completely destroys their own re-election chances.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

Supposed to be going to watch Bill Bailey at Bournemouth tomorrow night but Mrs P's getting cold feet. We have got FFP3 masks now following several recommendations on here but have no idea how much protection they offer.

Really don't want to be isolating over Christmas so tomorrow's show is not ideal timing.

Damn!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm enjoying this Christmas as you can actually get into a pub, find a seat, order beer and food, without it being rammed with amateur drinkers.

But my anecdata tonight is thaw t every pub in town is empty, apart from Wetherspoons which is moderately busy (obviously people are prepared to risk Omicron at the right price). Prezzo looked like a midweek afternoon in February.

Running club still had the annual buffet last night. About 60 of us for a buffet, awards raffle & quiz.
    Mine hasn't organised one, neither a post-Marathons social. But I have 4 social events coming up before Christmas which I fully expect to go ahead.
    Is it possible to bet on that? (Not that I'm wanting to!)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Linesman signalled offside, ref didn't blow whistle. No passive offside in those days

What rubbish:

https://theguardian.com/sport/2009/apr/18/ray-tinkler-played-advantage-leeds

See also Ljungberg v Chelsea in the 2002 cup final.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Alistair said:

Interesting.

Where is that?
    All of Sweden.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa
    https://www.icuregswe.org/data--resultat/covid-19-i-svensk-intensivvard/
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

Thanks, and to everyone else. Yes, I think that the best all of us can hope for. To get through with a minimum of illness.
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

Frankly, who knows? I'm expecting a lockdown imminently but it does look as though three factors may yet mitigate against it:

1. Johnson is desperate not to cancel Christmas for political reasons
    2. Johnson thinks it pointless to try to cancel Christmas for practical reasons, i.e. that much of the country will ignore the instruction anyway
    3. Omicron may be so contagious that the boffins suspect that lockdown won't work on it - and they have had to admit this to the Prime Minister in private, even if we haven't been told yet
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Covid at Christmas means you can't taste the sprouts.

Once again, Boris is playing 4D chess. Snap election in January, 60% Conservative vote from a grateful nation.

I like sprouts but am unique in our family
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why would they use royal mail? It would surely go through Parliament's internal mail.
    I wasn't being entirely serious, Rob.
  • Options

What is Gove?
    Oh, Brady don't hurt me
    Don't hurt me
    No more
  • Options

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Couriers, then.

Supposed to be going to watch Bill Bailey at Bournemouth tomorrow night but Mrs P's getting cold feet. We have got FFP3 masks now following several recommendations on here but have no idea how much protection they offer.

Really don't want to be isolating over Christmas so tomorrow's show is not ideal timing.

Damn!
    FFP3 well fitted are pretty safe. It is what is worn in ICU. Ideally eye protection too as there is a possibility of infection via the eyes.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Once again, Boris is playing 4D chess. Snap election in January, 60% Conservative vote from a grateful nation.

So do I. We're the good guys in this story.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Anecdata. All of a sudden CV19 seems on the rise, just today 6 unconnected cases in my immediate circle at work. People feeling very grotty.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited December 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

Leeds can have back the 1971 title, but in return we're going to need them to steal back the 2003 title that they pinched off us on behalf of Man United.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Indeed, people like you save Christmas, it means the rest of us have plates to sneak our sprouts onto!
  • Options
    Golly have we done this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/12/15/wuhan-lab-leak-now-likely-origin-covid-mps-told/

Dr Chan, said: “I think the lab origin is more likely than not. Right now it’s not safe for people who know about the origin of the pandemic to come forward. But we live in an era where there is so much information being stored that it will eventually come out.

“We have heard from many top virologists that a genetically engineered origin is reasonable and that includes virologists who made modifications to the first Sars virus.

“We know this virus has a unique feature, called the furin cleavage site, and without this feature there is no way this would be causing this pandemic.

“A proposal was leaked showing that EcoHealth and the Wuhan Institute of Virology were developing a pipeline for inserting novel furin cleavage sites. So, you find these scientists who said in early 2018 ‘I’m going to put horns on horses’ and at the end of 2019 a unicorn turns up in Wuhan city.”
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Indeed, people like you save Christmas, it means the rest of us have plates to sneak our sprouts onto!
    The more the merrier.
    You can have my carrots.
  • Options
    eil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    4m
    MAIL: It’s Boris versus the scientists #TomorrowsPapersToday
This discussion has been closed.