Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A 2022 Johnson exit surges in the betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Pulpstar said:

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but £60-£100 a month phone contracts are very normal for the red wall. People talking of £10 sim only deals are very much out of touch. Christ.

Eh ?

I'm on 20 odd quid a month and that includes the phone. In Bassetlaw - as red wall a place as any.
    Aye but you’re sensible. Have you seen how much an iphone 13 pro costs?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

The point is that if you own your own home and own your own transport then that is the making of a Conservative voter.

I will shortly do both - and I am the most anti-Tory I've been in my life
    I don't see the moral substance of Philip's position anyway. His thesis is that tories are nimbies and vv, so he is cheering on a kind of zombie apocalypse.
    No its not my thesis. My thesis is that NIMBYs are a noisy minority who should be told politely to **** **** *** **** off and then to **** **** **** **** themselves some more and then to keep on ***** themselves.

Ignore the NIMBYs. Get houses done, get people onto the property ladder. Its what worked for Thatcher, its what worked for Cameron, its what works.
    You talk a good game of rage, but I know that deep down you instinctively approve my vision of a sparsely populated rural landscape of Conservative voters enjoying their richly deserved reward of property price growth as they gaze out at the grazing livestock.
  • Options

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but £60-£100 a month phone contracts are very normal for the red wall. People talking of £10 sim only deals are very much out of touch. Christ.

Who are you speaking to that spends that much on their phone? 😲

My contract is with Sky Mobile and I spend £10 a month getting 10GB a data and that's plenty for me. Any I don't use is rolled over to a pot too, so I have hundreds of GB in my family pot that can be accessed on demand if I have a data-heavy month for some reason.
    That isn’t the norm
  • Options

My contract is with Sky Mobile and I spend £10 a month getting 10GB a data and that's plenty for me. Any I don't use is rolled over to a pot too, so I have hundreds of GB in my family pot that can be accessed on demand if I have a data-heavy month for some reason.
    Now I have contract envy, use it or lose it for me. Mind you I don't think I have ever used more than half of it...
  • Options

That isn’t the norm
    What makes you say that?

And if you're paying for a phone on contract then most firms will split the contract in two now, so the phone-element of the contract will be fixed and the data element will be the bit that goes up.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,002

Ffs I’m being pressured back to work really quickly by my boss. I already turned down a post Christmas sick note in order to be available to help out but it’s been less than 48 hours and I’m being pestered. :(

Push back hard.

My employer is giving me till the 10th after my op, no questions asked.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    edited December 2021

I think the Tory Party should listen to Mr Thompson, and their next manifesto should be based on his ideas. This would feature:

- huge investment in a turbo-charged, world-beating road building programme that would enable everybody to drive in short order from A to B
    - absolutely no more investment in pointless travel on railways
    - unfettered house building - anywhere, any time, any place
    - each new house must have parking space for at least three cars
    -last trip out was to a huge private investment in out-of-town shopping malls with huge amounts of parking God Bless Doncaster leisure park, so that nobody has to ever go into towns or cities.

I could add to the list. I think this would be a winning manifesto (for the opposition).

I'll be perfectly honest this is completely how I lead my life.
  • Options

Hello.

Pre plague I used to use of 600GB of mobile data per month.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,057

That isn’t the norm
    Most people use the contract to buy the phone

They rarely buy the phone outright and then a separate sim-only contract
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,214

tlg86 said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

What's interesting is that public transport, where it exists in the Red Wall, is primarily buses and not trains. The way to commute in the red wall as shown by that chart is overwhelmingly cars, then walking, then buses.

Trains barely figure at all. Indeed on that chart fewer people use trains in the Red Wall than use bicycles in other types of seat.

Trains are a non-northern obsession. Fuel prices and roads are what matters here.

The reason for not building train lines is that people don't use trains? That's a view, I suppose.
    It's a view :-).

But we know people do use trains.

So the reply to Philip's argument is to expand and improve train services, so they can be used.

We know that people do use trains at a certain price. The question is, to what extent are we happy to subsidize the railways where what is paid by users does not meet the costs?
    Whatever level is required so that there's not horrific congestion on the roads, and we aren't tempted to build urban motorways to accommodate the increased number of cars - i.e. There is a wider benefit to people who drive and don't use the train, and to people who neither drive or take the train.
    I'm not arguing against any subsidy - as you say, there is a lot to consider - but railways at any cost is not an option.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,057

Hello.

on what and how?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I'm on a Pay as you go sim (i put about £10, rarely £20 a month on it usually) on a Pixel 4a 5g that I got on sale last year. Works for me.

Blackburn lad.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,614
    Pulpstar said:

I think the Tory Party should listen to Mr Thompson, and their next manifesto should be based on his ideas. This would feature:

- huge investment in a turbo-charged, world-beating road building programme that would enable everybody to drive in short order from A to B
    -last trip out was to a huge private investment in out-of-town shopping malls with huge amounts of parking God Bless Doncaster leisure park, so that nobody has to ever go into towns or cities.

I could add to the list. I think this would be a winning manifesto (for the opposition).

That's great - you can sign up to the PT Party!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

CPI 5.1%

You know where people will notice this.

Mobile phone and internet bills. In March all the major networks and MVNOs have in contract rises of CPI +3.9%.

So for most consumers their bills are going up 10%.
    It's fuel. The moment when the machine imposed limit of £99 does not get me a full tank of diesel is imminent. The highest so far is £96.
    That's going to hit people more, indeed.

As this excellent article from The Economist a while back put it, its all about cars and houses. The Red Wall is full of houses with 2 cars each, its not train sets. The mantra for keeping it needs to be cars and houses, cars and houses, cars and houses. Deal with those and you've got it.
    Not sure that Wazza counts as the red wall. We know your personal views on developers building houses everywhere with no impediment. But red wall voters tend to not want that. So what you advocate is the opposite of what they will vote for. Labour are seen as the party of stupid planning applications, the Tories as the ones who oppose them and defend their communities.
    You're turning into @HYUFD - "pull up the drawbridge, I own my home, so screw everyone else." You'll be banging on about the evils of inheritance tax and the importance of inheritances next.

The point is that if you own your own home and own your own transport then that is the making of a Conservative voter.

Conservative voters might say they don't want more houses built as they want to protect their house prices, but then if that means their neighbours have no choice but to live in privately rented accommodation then their neighbours will be Labour voters. If new houses are built then the neighbours can also own their own home and transport, while they still own their own.

Ensuring everyone owns their own home and transport is the far most important thing, not having a few people that do then pandering to those NIMBY scumbags.
    I am? I've moved to a village where every other house is building another house in their extended back garden - mine had it done already...

I am talking about red wall voters. You can sit here and say how they are wrong but that doesn't change how they think or vote.

They do not want their parks and gardens building on and they are voting to stop that happening. I also love the "private rented" = "Labour voter". You sound like one of the Tory activists who came up from dahn sarf on the Tory bus a few elections ago. Found himself arguing on the doorstep with repeated people that "but you can't be a Labour voter, look at your house, and your car!"
    How they think or vote matters far more whether they themselves are a home owner, and whether they themselves can afford their own transport, than their neighbours.

Forget your anecdata from talking with whinging NIMBY scumbags and look at the actual evidence. Look at the data I supplied. The Red Wall (and places like Wazza too) has seen rampant house building in recent years and has the lowest house price to wage multiple in the country as a result. As a result people have been able to afford their own homes. As a result more people are now home owners. As a result more people vote Tory.

If the NIMBY shiteating scumbags were listened to then you'd have a few people happy to look at theoretical £££££££s on their house price while far more people would be living in privately rented accommodation and voting Labour.
    Why would they listen to me? I am not important.

My anecdata is what is happening. The surge in Tory and independent councillors and now Tory MPs has a direct link to the "rampant house building" which is being done by Labour councils who the government are forcing into it.

People do not want "rampant house building". So they vote against the people they think are responsible and instead elect people who say they will stop it.

Being all in favour of personal liberties I would have thought democratic free will would be something you support. Not branding your fellow travellers "NIMBY shit-eating scumbags"
    Voters in areas of large house building aren't voting Conservative in protest against large house building.

They're voting Conservative because of the large house building.
    They're really not. Go talk to them.
    They really are.

You go talk to the people in those new homes and ask them how they're voting. If the houses weren't built, the people wouldn't be there, and their votes would be lost.

If you're talking to NIMBY shitheads like our own Essicks Massiv you're talking to the wrong people.
    What do you mean "lost"? These people would be somewhere, voting for someone. Who says they wouldn't be voting Conservative?
    You need a longitudinal study here, not a cross sectional one. And certainly not a cross sectional one designed around a selection bias.
    That's my point!

If they were living in privately rented accommodation (which is where a lot of first time new build owners were living before they buy their first home) then they'd have been voting Labour.

Build a new home and sell it to someone renting and ultimately you have probably 2 fewer Labour voters, and 2 extra Tory voters.
    Not always.

Cameron won private renters in 2015. Blair won home owners with a mortgage in 1997, 2001 and 2005.

Plus building all over the greenbelt will send some Tory homeowners to the LDs or Greens.

Build new affordable housing to buy yes but in brownbelt land first
    Labour won private renters in 2015.

Blair won home owners with a mortgage because Blair was exceedingly popular so people were more likely to vote Labour despite being home owners. Still home ownership still played a positive correlation even then, its just that Blair's popularity shifted the entire chart up.
    Wrong. The Tories won private renters under Cameron 34% to 32% for Ed Miliband's Labour in 2015. Even though Labour still won those in social housing 45% to 20% for the Tories
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted
  • Options
    eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Indeed but that's typically two contracts nowadays. You'll have a repayment contract for the phone and a separate contract for the SIM. They may be bundled together, but they're not the same.

With inflation, its the SIM element that goes up. So even a 10% increase in SIM costs, if you're paying for a phone too, might only be ~2-3% increase in your phone bill.
  • Options

Hello.

I don't think that even fits in a calendar month at 4g speeds does it? You would certainly get an OOM speed boost by hardwiring yourself to your data source.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,002
    eek said:

Hello.

on what and how?

Questions not to ask.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Also known as the Conservative Party.

What part of that is not a majority of the country do you think?
  • Options

Hello.

Dare we ask what kind of video you were downloading to reach that level of data.....
  • Options

eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Indeed but that's typically two contracts nowadays. You'll have a repayment contract for the phone and a separate contract for the SIM. They may be bundled together, but they're not the same.

With inflation, its the SIM element that goes up. So even a 10% increase in SIM costs, if you're paying for a phone too, might only be ~2-3% increase in your phone bill.
    That’s only the case with O2 isnt it?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,697
    edited December 2021

Hello.

3 are offering unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, SIM only, on a 1 month rolling contract for £28 a month. £20 for a yearly contract....

• Options
    eek said:

Hello.

on what and how?
    I used to be away from home 2/3 days a week.

So I used to FaceTime the family/other half a lot.

Streamed a lot of SkyGo/Netflix etc.

I’d also use my phone to hotspot my laptop.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

CPI 5.1%

Mobile phone and internet bills. In March all the major networks and MVNOs have in contract rises of CPI +3.9%.

It's fuel. The moment when the machine imposed limit of £99 does not get me a full tank of diesel is imminent. The highest so far is £96.

As this excellent article from The Economist a while back put it, its all about cars and houses. The Red Wall is full of houses with 2 cars each, its not train sets. The mantra for keeping it needs to be cars and houses, cars and houses, cars and houses. Deal with those and you've got it.
    Not sure that Wazza counts as the red wall. We know your personal views on developers building houses everywhere with no impediment. But red wall voters tend to not want that. So what you advocate is the opposite of what they will vote for. Labour are seen as the party of stupid planning applications, the Tories as the ones who oppose them and defend their communities.
    You're turning into @HYUFD - "pull up the drawbridge, I own my home, so screw everyone else." You'll be banging on about the evils of inheritance tax and the importance of inheritances next.

Conservative voters might say they don't want more houses built as they want to protect their house prices, but then if that means their neighbours have no choice but to live in privately rented accommodation then their neighbours will be Labour voters. If new houses are built then the neighbours can also own their own home and transport, while they still own their own.

Ensuring everyone owns their own home and transport is the far most important thing, not having a few people that do then pandering to those NIMBY scumbags.
    I am? I've moved to a village where every other house is building another house in their extended back garden - mine had it done already...

I am talking about red wall voters. You can sit here and say how they are wrong but that doesn't change how they think or vote.

They do not want their parks and gardens building on and they are voting to stop that happening. I also love the "private rented" = "Labour voter". You sound like one of the Tory activists who came up from dahn sarf on the Tory bus a few elections ago. Found himself arguing on the doorstep with repeated people that "but you can't be a Labour voter, look at your house, and your car!"
    How they think or vote matters far more whether they themselves are a home owner, and whether they themselves can afford their own transport, than their neighbours.

Forget your anecdata from talking with whinging NIMBY scumbags and look at the actual evidence. Look at the data I supplied. The Red Wall (and places like Wazza too) has seen rampant house building in recent years and has the lowest house price to wage multiple in the country as a result. As a result people have been able to afford their own homes. As a result more people are now home owners. As a result more people vote Tory.

If the NIMBY shiteating scumbags were listened to then you'd have a few people happy to look at theoretical £££££££s on their house price while far more people would be living in privately rented accommodation and voting Labour.

My anecdata is what is happening. The surge in Tory and independent councillors and now Tory MPs has a direct link to the "rampant house building" which is being done by Labour councils who the government are forcing into it.

People do not want "rampant house building". So they vote against the people they think are responsible and instead elect people who say they will stop it.

Being all in favour of personal liberties I would have thought democratic free will would be something you support. Not branding your fellow travellers "NIMBY shit-eating scumbags"
    Voters in areas of large house building aren't voting Conservative in protest against large house building.

They really are.

You go talk to the people in those new homes and ask them how they're voting. If the houses weren't built, the people wouldn't be there, and their votes would be lost.

If you're talking to NIMBY shitheads like our own Essicks Massiv you're talking to the wrong people.
    What do you mean "lost"? These people would be somewhere, voting for someone. Who says they wouldn't be voting Conservative?
    You need a longitudinal study here, not a cross sectional one. And certainly not a cross sectional one designed around a selection bias.
    That's my point!

If they were living in privately rented accommodation (which is where a lot of first time new build owners were living before they buy their first home) then they'd have been voting Labour.

Build a new home and sell it to someone renting and ultimately you have probably 2 fewer Labour voters, and 2 extra Tory voters.
    Not always.

Cameron won private renters in 2015. Blair won home owners with a mortgage in 1997, 2001 and 2005.

Plus building all over the greenbelt will send some Tory homeowners to the LDs or Greens.

Blair won home owners with a mortgage because Blair was exceedingly popular so people were more likely to vote Labour despite being home owners. Still home ownership still played a positive correlation even then, its just that Blair's popularity shifted the entire chart up.
    Wrong. The Tories won private renters under Cameron 34% to 32% for Ed Miliband's Labour in 2015. Even though Labour still won those in social housing 45% to 20% for the Tories
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted
    IPSOS Mori says that is wrong.

"Labour only had a clear lead over the Conservatives among 18-34s, voters in social class DE, among private and social renters, and BME voters. "

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2015
  • Options
    eek said:

Hello.

on what and how?
    4320p pornhub.
  • Options

eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Sky for me do it that way too. I think more and more firms are doing it that way now.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Oh dear. Embarrassing. Still no release for the red list quaranteeners:

"travellers already impounded in hotel quarantine have not yet been formally released.

Some have walked out this morning, saying remaining feels like “a pointless exercise”.

A security guard at one hotel told The Independent: “I’ve had nine walk out on me so far. The police aren’t interested.”"

From The Independent this morning.
  • Options
    eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Indeed - and the effective price of the phone is usually a demented rip-off.

It would literarily be cheaper to buy the phone on a credit card, and pay off the credit card over the contract period.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,819
    Scott_xP said:

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps says this party at CCHQ organised by Shaun Bailey’s mayoral campaign is “completely unacceptable”.

He insists that it was not authorised by the party.

Wonder how the caterers got past the front door…
    https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1471035310339416065/photo/1

As if Shapps gets a hearing :smile:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,097

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

What's interesting is that public transport, where it exists in the Red Wall, is primarily buses and not trains. The way to commute in the red wall as shown by that chart is overwhelmingly cars, then walking, then buses.

Trains barely figure at all. Indeed on that chart fewer people use trains in the Red Wall than use bicycles in other types of seat.

Trains are a non-northern obsession. Fuel prices and roads are what matters here.

The reason for not building train lines is that people don't use trains? That's a view, I suppose.
    It's a view :-).

But we know people do use trains.

So the reply to Philip's argument is to expand and improve train services, so they can be used.

We know that people do use trains at a certain price. The question is, to what extent are we happy to subsidize the railways where what is paid by users does not meet the costs?
    You'd have to start paying me to use the train/bus regularly into the office, either is 2 hours (Compared to 1/2 hr in the car) and that's if I time everything perfectly.
    Well, that's the old chicken and egg thing.

Mrs Capitano has taken the bus to work a few times recently. It takes her about an hour vs 30 minutes in the car.

Why the difference? They're the same roads and it's not like you can go much over 40 on country roads anyway. No, it's because she has to change buses in Witney and that's a 20 minute wait; and the buses are only every half-hour because that fits the level of demand.

As soon as you can get people out of their cars then buses, at least, will get better by simple supply-and-demand logic. But that either requires restrictions on car travel, or big investment in bus services, and the Government has shown no serious willingness to do either.
    It's quite instructive to go on a route-planning site and compare various journeys. Our nearest, geographically, Covid vaccination site is an hour away by public transport, although 15 minutes (tops) by car. The nearest available by public transport is 20 minutes away, although again 15 minutes by car.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Hello.

on what and how?
    4320p pornhub.
    8K resolution, surely?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

I don't think that even fits in a calendar month at 4g speeds does it? You would certainly get an OOM speed boost by hardwiring yourself to your data source.
    Can’t find the right period but this was my usage just before the plague.

• Options

Hello.

Dare we ask what kind of video you were downloading to reach that level of data.....
    One at least 9" long...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

What do you get for £100 month that you dont get for £10 month? Do you have to pay extra for the carrier pigeons up north or something? Down south we can get 10GB data, unlimited minutes and texts for £7 per month.
    As @Malmesbury pointed out. Because your phone is on HP.
    Which is nuts cos you can outright buy a perfectly serviceable new phone adequate for most needs for £80.
    I just did.
    Won't be flashy or have farcical bells and whistle features you'll never use mind.
    But that is still £90 per month on a phone? I am in the Iphone stable but probably paid an average of £350-400 for them and kept them for average 4 years, so less than £9 pm.
  • Options

Hello.

3 are offering unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, unlimited data, SIM only, on a 1 month rolling contract for £28 a month. £20 for a yearly contract....

But Three’s coverage is shit.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don't see the moral substance of Philip's position anyway. His thesis is that tories are nimbies and vv, so he is cheering on a kind of zombie apocalypse.
    No its not my thesis. My thesis is that NIMBYs are a noisy minority who should be told politely to **** **** *** **** off and then to **** **** **** **** themselves some more and then to keep on ***** themselves.

Ignore the NIMBYs. Get houses done, get people onto the property ladder. Its what worked for Thatcher, its what worked for Cameron, its what works.
    You talk a good game of rage, but I know that deep down you instinctively approve my vision of a sparsely populated rural landscape of Conservative voters enjoying their richly deserved reward of property price growth as they gaze out at the grazing livestock.
    N Shropshire (which looks like that) is going to vote LD though.
    Allegedly, anyway.
  • Options

eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Tesco and Sky do but they are O2 MVNOs.

Vodafone have just release something similar and EE will in 2021.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The required parking has been in palce for years, except for town centres and exceptions, and on a slightly more complex formula.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The required parking has been in palce for years, except for town centres and exceptions, and on a slightly more complex formula.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,045

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

N Shropshire (which looks like that) is going to vote LD though.
    Allegedly, anyway.
    The livestock are revolting ...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

"travellers already impounded in hotel quarantine have not yet been formally released.

Some have walked out this morning, saying remaining feels like “a pointless exercise”.

A security guard at one hotel told The Independent: “I’ve had nine walk out on me so far. The police aren’t interested.”"

To be fair why would the police be interested? Once they have walked out, it is an event in the past.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,863

Hello.

Could he fall foul of fair usage T's & C's?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

I'm going to break cover and say that that is unusual...

I also have a £10/month 10gb contract, which rolls over so it is 20gb available for holidays and such.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645

eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Vodafone now as well, it's actually good because you can buy the phone outright and have a low monthly cost.
  • Options

Stocky said:

To be fair why would the police be interested? Once they have walked out, it is an event in the past.
    Same with any crime. Except perhaps leaving a rude tweet up.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Hello.

They all have a Fair Usage Policy of 700 GB a month. But they only take action it exceed that 2/3 months in a row and 4 in 12 months.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Indeed, they may as well stay in the office, have a cup of tea and play some pool.
  • Options

Hello.

That's a lot of porn
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Indeed, they may as well stay in the office, have a cup of tea and play some pool.
    Or join in the party at No. 10. If there is one going, that is.
  • Options
    Did anybody else know about BBC Pidgin? This is where I'm now going for all my news.

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

Covid 19 Omicron variant dey spread at a rate wey no dey ordinary - WHO

Di new coronavirus variant Omicron dey spread across di globe at a rate wey no dey ordinary, di World Health Organization (WHO) don warn.

Cases of di heavily mutated variant don dey confamed in 77 kontries.

But for one press conference, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus say e fit even dey for many odas wey never detect am yet.

Dr Tedros say e dey concerned say dem no dey do enough to tackle di variant.

"Surely, we don learn by now say we dey underestimate dis virus at our own risk. Even if Omicron cause less serious disease, di number of cases fit once again too much for health systems wey no dey prepared," e tok.

Dem first identify di Omicron variant for South Africa for November, and di kontri since de don record increase in infections. President Cyril Ramaphosa test positive to Covid -19 and dey currently isolate wit small symptoms.

Some kontries don introduce travel bans wey affect South Africa and e neighbours afta Omicron show, but e no fail to stop am from spreading around di world.

In oda developments

More dan 800,000 Americans now don die from di coronavirus - di highest recorded national death toll from di global pandemic
    UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson win backing for Covid pass for England, despite revolt by members of im party since e become PM
    UK goment also announce on Tuesday say dem go take off all 11 kontries on dia travel red list as Health Secretary Sajid Javid say di Omicron variant don spread so widely and di rules no longer get much purpose.
    Italy don extend a state of emergency until 31 March 2022, dem cite concerns over Omicron. Di measures, wey suppose to expire for di end of December, give di goment more power to limit travel and public gatherings
    Netherlands say dem go close primary schools one week before di Christmas holidays suppose start, in order to fight infections
    Norway don announce ban on serving alcohol inside bars and restaurants, among oda measures
    For di press conference on Tuesday, Dr Tedros tok again about concerns about say vaccine no dey go round equally, as some kontries dey speed up di rollout of booster shot in response to Omicron.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

If I have got my megabits vs megabytes right that is 6 hours a day of sheer downloading (i.e. not counting browsing what you have now downloaded). Impressive.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,887

It's quite instructive to go on a route-planning site and compare various journeys. Our nearest, geographically, Covid vaccination site is an hour away by public transport, although 15 minutes (tops) by car. The nearest available by public transport is 20 minutes away, although again 15 minutes by car.

The Covid vaccination sites are an absolute sh*tshow by public transport. On the NHS booking site, you can filter by about 15 different types of access requirement, but "I don't have access to a car" isn't one of them.

It would be about two hours' coding, if that, to add "near a bus stop" and "near a train station" to the site. (SELECT * FROM vaccination_sites vs JOIN naptan n ON ST_DWithin(vs.geom,n.geom,0.01). You're welcome.)

As it happens I've booked with one which is 31 minutes away by train and 50 minutes by car, but then I know the train service round here, and most people don't.
  • Options

Hello.

That's a lot of porn
    With that attitude it is
  • Options
    Spider-Man time baby.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Plugging TSE into the internet directly via a 10Gb symmetrical connection? Look, even Edward Teller* had things that he thought we shouldn't do.

*This is the guy whose idea of fun was running mini (beer keg sized) research nuclear reactors at trade shows. And demonstrating their safety by yanking the control rod out.**
    **Imagine the safety review for that one. "We are going to run our TRIGA reactor, live at the trade show. And Edward Teller is going to demonstrate how safe it is by trying to cause a nuclear accident. Several times a day."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

CPI 5.1%

They really are.

That's my point!

Not always.

"Labour only had a clear lead over the Conservatives among 18-34s, voters in social class DE, among private and social renters, and BME voters. "

Well Yougov says Cameron did win private renters which certainly suggests they are not guaranteed to vote Labour.

Even if Yougov and Mori agree the Tories won home owners with or without a mortgage in 2015 and Labour won those in social housing
  • Options
    I should mention I have two sims in my phone.

An EE esim and a physical O2 sim. So that O2 data usage screen shot only tells half the picture.
  • Options

Stocky said:

What the security guard should have done is warn the police that the guests were trying to build houses without planning permission, in the the car park.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Plugging TSE into the internet directly via a 10Gb symmetrical connection? Look, even Edward Teller* had things that he thought we shouldn't do.

*This is the guy whose idea of fun was running mini (beer keg sized) research nuclear reactors at trade shows. And demonstrating their safety by yanking the control rod out.**
    **Imagine the safety review for that one. "We are going to run our TRIGA reactor, live at the trade show. And Edward Teller is going to demonstrate how safe it is by trying to cause a nuclear accident. Several times a day."
    There would be the danger of him becoming self-aware of course...
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,863

Pro_Rata said:

Hello.

They all have a Fair Usage Policy of 700 GB a month. But they only take action it exceed that 2/3 months in a row and 4 in 12 months.
    Casual reading of the contract or bitter experience?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

CPI 5.1%

They really are.

That's my point!

Not always.

Well Yougov says Cameron did win private renters which certainly suggests they are not guaranteed to vote Labour.

Even if Yougov and Mori agree the Tories won home owners in 2015 and Labour won those in social housing
    There's no guarantees in life but there is a causative correlation.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,887
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's the inevitable future, like it or loathe it: beautiful, sparsely populated countryside in 95% of the country, everyone else living at high density in high rise cities serviced by public transport.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Pro_Rata said:

Hello.

Casual reading of the contract or bitter experience?
    Bitter experience.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,936
    edited December 2021

The Covid vaccination sites are an absolute sh*tshow by public transport. On the NHS booking site, you can filter by about 15 different types of access requirement, but "I don't have access to a car" isn't one of them.

It would be about two hours' coding, if that, to add "near a bus stop" and "near a train station" to the site. (SELECT * FROM vaccination_sites vs JOIN naptan n ON ST_DWithin(vs.geom,n.geom,0.01). You're welcome.)

As it happens I've booked with one which is 31 minutes away by train and 50 minutes by car, but then I know the train service round here, and most people don't.
    I'm raising a bug with that. What if the bus stop is the wrong side of a river?

The original large vaccination sites were generally accessible via public transport, but since stadia etc are all in use now, they seem to have moved to local village halls etc, which aren't always in convenient locations. Perhaps they should have more vaxbuses?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, but is that a film or videogame reference?
  • Options
    The SRN is one of the only good things this Government have announced. That will increase 4G coverage significantly by forcing operators to work together.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Neasden? As per Private Eye?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Considering the time of year, I'm going to guess that was before 'Elf and Safety' had 'gone made'.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    Tbh it's a blessed relief that phone data/broadband seem to have held back their prices as compared to the rest of life.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Got a feeling the 5.1% inflation figure may be the most significant medium term political event of the week.
    At the risk of going 4 Yorkshiremen, to a 70's kid like me, who grew up saving my pocket money for weeks only to find the item was still out of reach, that's nowt.
    But there are entire generations who have no concept of this.
  • Options

The original large vaccination sites were generally accessible via public transport, but since stadia etc are all in use now, they seem to have moved to local village halls etc, which aren't always in convenient locations. Perhaps they should have more vaxbuses?
    They're being used 'some of the time'. I think Chelmsford Race course is re-opening as a vaccination site before Christmas, for example.And Colchester Football Ground is used during the week.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,965

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Small price to pay to stop him using thermonuclear weapons for infrastructure construction ....
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

There would be the danger of him becoming self-aware of course...
    I was more thinking of the scene in that cinematic masterpiece "Stealth" where the A.I Stealth fighter steals *all* the music on the internet. Then proceeds to play bad cheese rock for the rest of the movie to illustrate it's independence.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,887

Ha, that's a perennial one with any proximity search. What I would actually do if someone contracted me to build that (and it's the sort of thing I do for a living) is throw all the NAPTaN bus stop nodes into a routing engine, then run a matrix search for each vaccination centre to see whether there's a bus stop within 500m walk. Reasonably easy, you just need to stand up an instance of a routing engine like OSRM (or use a SaaS instance).
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    edited December 2021
    Stocky said:

These are the guys that landed before 0400 yesterday morning right? Damn right they should walk out. Good luck to them. What an absolutely stupid rule.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    But it isn’t, is it. Either Omicron is as bad as we’re being told. In which case these measures aren’t going to be enough. Or it isn’t anywhere near as bad as we’re being told. In which case why the panic. But either way, government policy is now completely divorced from reality.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Got a feeling the 5.1% inflation figure may be the most significant medium term political event of the week.
    At the risk of going 4 Yorkshiremen, to a 70's kid like me, who grew up saving my pocket money for weeks only to find the item was still out of reach, that's nowt.

Yes, running a business in the 70's was no fun. Although it was easier to pay one's debts!
  • Options
    TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's the inevitable future, like it or loathe it: beautiful, sparsely populated countryside in 95% of the country, everyone else living at high density in high rise cities serviced by public transport.
    Needn't be that high rise- consider outer London. Very desirable, dense enough to support a station with frequent trains or trams within walking distance.

But denser than most new-builds or business parks, sure.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Unfettered house building would be hideous, and destroy some of the most beautiful places in the country. OK if you are a philistine perhaps.

While we are at it let's burn some books or paintings we don't like and put roads through peoples land and houses and offer them no compensation, just like in China. Membership of the Peoples' Phil (Istine) Thompson Party will provide for you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,965
    edited December 2021

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Considering the time of year, I'm going to guess that was before 'Elf and Safety' had 'gone made'.
    Louis Slotin (or rather his shade) says hi.

Interestingly, the Hanford plant during construction, and in its early years, had a very good safety record by the standards of the time. Before becoming a contaminated nightmare.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Stocky said:

Neasden? As per Private Eye?
    Non specific how I imagine PC Average might try and spend an afternoon when he/she can get away with it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379

Saying a home owner becomes a Tory or a renter is a Labour voter seems to be as lazy and wrong as saying all people in the North are racist Brexiteers

Absolutely right. It's a factor, and helps explain the mystery that some lefties turn Tory as they get older, but clearly not a universal rule.
  • Options
    It is, one understands, wrong to gloat. But sometimes people do.

The Guardian has a piece this morning: ‘A rudderless outfit’: Conservative press turns on Boris Johnson'
    Full of comments from the Time, Telegraph, Mail. Etc.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

CPI 5.1%

They really are.

That's my point!

Not always.

But that's only supposed to be based on those who voted. With the introduction of individual voter registration in 2015, my experience when doing extensive doorknocking was that the electoral register was absolutely useless amongst private rented housing in the more deprived areas (as opposed to owner occupied housing and more established social housing.)

Typical experience when canvassing converted multi-occupied housing in deprived parts of Wolverhampton in 2015 was this. Of Flats A to F at No 227 (say), a large converted 3 storey property, only Flat C and E had someone recorded on the register. If you were lucky enough to speak to someone at a registered address in a multi-occ property, it usually turned out that the name was not known to the current (unregistered) occupant and must have been left on when moving out a while back. It was reasonable to conclude that at least 80% of addresses, the person living there was not eligible to vote at that address.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Pulpstar said:

Tbh it's a blessed relief that phone data/broadband seem to have held back their prices as compared to the rest of life.

Try the United States. $100 a month phone isn't unusual. Broadband costs a fortune. And an estimated 25m not connected.
  • Options

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    1h
    But it isn’t, is it. Either Omicron is as bad as we’re being told. In which case these measures aren’t going to be enough. Or it isn’t anywhere near as bad as we’re being told. In which case why the panic. But either way, government policy is now completely divorced from reality.

Not a big fan of uncertainty or dealing with risks across an unknown distribution I take it?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Small price to pay to stop him using thermonuclear weapons for infrastructure construction ....
    Are you some kinda of commie prevert who thinks that using thermonuclear weapons for infrastructure construction is bad?

Seriously, I was told by someone who worked at a fun place* in Soviet times that Teller was one guy that they had heard of. Apparently he gave the hard liners in the USSR military the shits....

*Number not a name kind of place.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    edited December 2021

eek said:

That isn’t the norm

Sky for me do it that way too. I think more and more firms are doing it that way now.
    I’m on that system with O2. As I have now paid off the HP on the handset, my monthly bill is £16 for unlimited everything. Which is great for long journeys when my wife can work in the car on my hotspot, and for streaming Sky Sports in the pub!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Unfettered house building would be hideous, and destroy some of the most beautiful places in the country. OK if you are a philistine perhaps.

While we are at it let's burn some books or paintings we don't like and put roads through peoples land and houses and offer them no compensation, just like in China. Membership of the Peoples' Phil (Istine) Thompson Party will provide for you.
    As I've said many times before, people should be able to build on their own land not other people's land.

If someone wants to build on someone else's land they'd need to in my system offer them a fair value to buy it off them. That's the free market working in action.

If someone wants to build on their own land, that should be up to them and nobody else. Their land, their choice.

That you feel the need to bring other people's land into the equation shows the hollowness of your thinking.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tudor times. The Reformation. Especially with regard to the monasteries!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Can we actually raise interest rates in any meaningful amount or will this finally bring down the asset bubble?

My ill informed guess is we can't act before the US Fed does, and we will have to act within a few months of the US doing so.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,401
    On topic: Johnson won't resign off his own bat, he'll need to be ousted by his MPs, and these are Tory MPs, remember, concerned with electoral appeal not suitability to be PM - as they proved when choosing Johnson. So forget about all this, "He's so crap he has to go" business - he is but he most certainly doesn't. They won't oust him unless: Lab establish a big consistent poll lead. A realistic alternative leader polls much better than him. They are confident a contest will be won by that alternative. Will this happen next year? It could - but as a betting proposition at close to evens it stinks. So much so that I'm taking the other side. I'm long of him at an average 1.75 to still be PM at the 2022 Tory Party Conf.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    What is the overlap between the Tory rebels and support for Paterson? For all the criticism of Johnson for trying to save him and it was here that his problems really started, maybe he was more afraid of rebellious backbenchers on Owen's side? Hence he has a party management problem and no easy solution to it.

RP - I agree that those who've definitely had Covid should not be prioritised for the booster.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hello.

Call me boring, but prompt criticality is a little OTT for your average trade show.

The reactor is running at 10W. then it is running (hah) at 1000MW. For a millisecond or 2....

There's a nice video of this at

https://ne.oregonstate.edu/11-mw-triga-mark-ii-pulsing-research-reactor

Scares me and I'm a lunatic.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Can we actually raise interest rates in any meaningful amount or will this finally bring down the asset bubble?

My ill informed guess is we can't act before the US Fed does, and we will have to act within a few months of the US doing so.
    And whilst bursting the asset bubble is absolutely the right thing to do for the national good, it will be political hemlock.

Which is why nobody has tried to do it.

Which will keep BoJo in place a bit, if it's inevitable; much better it happens on the watch of a dead PM walking than that of his shiny successor.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tudor times. The Reformation. Especially with regard to the monasteries!
    C19 railway building, too. And what the C20 did with it. Euston.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,513

£10 a month! You're a profligate big-spender. Round my way the phone companies are lucky to receive two bottle tops a month for my phone contract - and they're glad! In return I get exclusive use of a data centre for all my downloads and one ride a month on a unicorn.

Bloody southerners and their inflationary spending.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,887

TimS said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Needn't be that high rise- consider outer London. Very desirable, dense enough to support a station with frequent trains or trams within walking distance.

But denser than most new-builds or business parks, sure.
    Yes, I was exaggerating for dramatic effect. In broad terms it is already happening and has been doing so for decades in parts of Europe. There was a fascinating animated map doing the rounds on Twitter (from the evergreen Simon Kuestenmacher) showing French population density changes over the last century. The provinces visibly empty out while the big metropoles intensify and expand. Really clear pattern.

In fact here it is: https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1469036650072358917?s=20
This discussion has been closed.