Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LD by-election objectives – Win or lose deposit – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Its a good job our media stick with responsible headlines....

I WEEKEND: UK ‘red’ alert over Omicron ability to hit double jabbed

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1466874750760894466?s=20

Has to read small print to find out there are such large caveats it is not worth commenting on.

Their 3rd bullet point might as well be reworded as "Ignore what we say, it's all a shitty guess"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

Least surprising news ever...

BREAKING: England reports 75 new cases of Omicron variant, raising UK total to 134

Doooooooooooomed.
    Anyone become ill yet?
    The news reports coming out of SA are not promising in that regard.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    RobD said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

BREAKING: England reports 75 new cases of Omicron variant, raising UK total to 134

Doooooooooooomed.
    Anyone become ill yet?
    37% vaccinated South Africa?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Doooooooooooomed.
    Anyone become ill yet?
    37% vaccinated South Africa?
    Given those reports relate to children who aren’t eligible for vaccination, I don’t see how that is relevant.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:
    It's not mild if it's putting kids into hospital...

I just wonder if this 'genius move' of letting millions of kids in the UK be exposed to Delta is going to bite us on the ass down the line when it comes to Omicron, with reliance on so called immunity via exposure not holding up with this variant.
    No. Even if there is significant reinfection, prior infection will tend to moderate severity. Besides, I think significant reinfection is overstating things. There has been very little reinfection with delta, so even if omicron is two or three times more able to do so, it’s still not huge.
    I’m not convinced by the belief that everyone in SA has had Covid argument. We’ve had this tried many times and the antibody evidence doesn’t stack up.
    It’s pretty certain now that we will see omicron gaining traction here. What effect that has on severe illness, hospitalisation and death is really anyone’s guess right now. My guess is not too much, but I am likely going to be wrong.
    There are two versions of “covid is here forever”.

Version 1 is that it ceases being a major public health concern after this winter and floats around like influenza or pneumonia, competing for the same victims, while being annoying or barely noticeable for everyone else.

Version 2 is that we’re locked in a continual race between viral evolution and science, and that 2021 is more or less as good as things get until we get another major scientific breakthrough. There are no doubt many already falling into an almost existential depression at the possibility this might be true.
    The Pfizer retroviral (Paxlovid) reduces hospitalisation from Covid by 90%. Once that is being produced in mega quantities, that will make a massive difference.

(Am I the only person who's a little... surprised... that Pfizer has managed to produce the first vaccine to market and the first really successful treatment.)
    These are the headlines being mainlined into the psyche of middle England:

SAGE calls for WFH and vaccine passports in face of Omicron wave and warns variant is capable of triggering 'similar or even larger' surge in cases but admits jury's still out on jab escape - with Brits told to expect five more years of Covid misery

“ Experts suggested some form of measures will be needed for the next half a decade, with constant monitoring required to prevent future waves after Omicron has finished.

SAGE said: 'SARS-CoV-2 will continue to be a threat to health system function and require active management, of which vaccination and surveillance are key, for at least the next five years.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10272001/SAGE-calls-WFH-vaccine-passports-face-Omicron-wave.html
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,151
    alex_ said:

RobD said:

Doooooooooooomed.
    Anyone become ill yet?
    Well we’ve not heard from @Leon tonight...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    This thread has gone the same way as Gateshead...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,151
    Leon said:

alex_ said:

RobD said:

Doooooooooooomed.
    Anyone become ill yet?
    Well we’ve not heard from @Leon tonight...
    I live
    Good news indeed! Any news on your test?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    SAGE are call
    moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I just wonder if this 'genius move' of letting millions of kids in the UK be exposed to Delta is going to bite us on the ass down the line when it comes to Omicron, with reliance on so called immunity via exposure not holding up with this variant.
    No. Even if there is significant reinfection, prior infection will tend to moderate severity. Besides, I think significant reinfection is overstating things. There has been very little reinfection with delta, so even if omicron is two or three times more able to do so, it’s still not huge.
    I’m not convinced by the belief that everyone in SA has had Covid argument. We’ve had this tried many times and the antibody evidence doesn’t stack up.
    It’s pretty certain now that we will see omicron gaining traction here. What effect that has on severe illness, hospitalisation and death is really anyone’s guess right now. My guess is not too much, but I am likely going to be wrong.

Version 1 is that it ceases being a major public health concern after this winter and floats around like influenza or pneumonia, competing for the same victims, while being annoying or barely noticeable for everyone else.

Version 2 is that we’re locked in a continual race between viral evolution and science, and that 2021 is more or less as good as things get until we get another major scientific breakthrough. There are no doubt many already falling into an almost existential depression at the possibility this might be true.
    The Pfizer retroviral (Paxlovid) reduces hospitalisation from Covid by 90%. Once that is being produced in mega quantities, that will make a massive difference.

(Am I the only person who's a little... surprised... that Pfizer has managed to produce the first vaccine to market and the first really successful treatment.)
    These are the headlines being mainlined into the psyche of middle England:

SAGE calls for WFH and vaccine passports in face of Omicron wave and warns variant is capable of triggering 'similar or even larger' surge in cases but admits jury's still out on jab escape - with Brits told to expect five more years of Covid misery

“ Experts suggested some form of measures will be needed for the next half a decade, with constant monitoring required to prevent future waves after Omicron has finished.

SAGE said: 'SARS-CoV-2 will continue to be a threat to health system function and require active management, of which vaccination and surveillance are key, for at least the next five years.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10272001/SAGE-calls-WFH-vaccine-passports-face-Omicron-wave.html
    SAGE are calling for vaccination passports because of a fear that Omicron will evade vaccines?
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Scott_xP said:

More than half the confirmed cases of the new Omicron variant in the UK have occurred following at least two vaccination doses, health officials have said https://trib.al/WCysmqX

Given the initial cases will be travellers (not those ones) and the jab rules for flights, that's not much of a surprise is it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,006

In short order, Hong Kongers have become one of Britain’s most important immigrant groups. Between January and the end of September, almost 89,000 applied to settle under a new visa scheme created in response to the rapid erosion of civil liberties in the province. For comparison, 184,000 people from all countries applied for work visas in the first nine months of this year.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2021/12/04/many-more-hong-kongers-are-thinking-about-moving-to-britain?utm_dium=social-media.content.np&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=editorial-social&utm_content=discovery.content

Let them all in. Cease all sources of Muslim immigration, and replace with Hong Kongers

Job done. Shoot me if you’re angry, I’m basically dead anyway
  • Options
    Leon said:

In short order, Hong Kongers have become one of Britain’s most important immigrant groups. Between January and the end of September, almost 89,000 applied to settle under a new visa scheme created in response to the rapid erosion of civil liberties in the province. For comparison, 184,000 people from all countries applied for work visas in the first nine months of this year.

https://www.economist.com/britain/2021/12/04/many-more-hong-kongers-are-thinking-about-moving-to-britain?utm_dium=social-media.content.np&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=editorial-social&utm_content=discovery.content

Let them all in. Cease all sources of Muslim immigration, and replace with Hong Kongers

Job done. Shoot me if you’re angry, I’m basically dead anyway
    You can't die. I picked you in the Deadpool as a joke saying that you'd already had the virus three times by now so were clearly susceptible. I do not want to win that, so you can't die.

I hereby deem you immortal.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,151

moonshine said:

jonny83 said:

IshmaelZ said:

We listened to the RTÉ SixOne news this evening, which featured the Taoiseach reintroducing various restrictions, including an absurd limit on the number of different households allowed to visit another household, and it certainly feels that, nearly two years in, that there is a big risk of version 2 being our future.

For most of the pandemic so far our attitude has been that this is a temporary emergency and so we will exercise patience and see it out. it did feel like, after we'd been double-dosed, that we could coax ourselves slowly back to pre-pandemic normal. We're now trying to work out what we're going to do if this isn't temporary.

Part 1 is an order for FFP2 masks, so that when we do have to mix with strangers we can worry less about how ineptly they are wearing their masks.

We're talking about part 2 being buying a HEPA air purifier and inviting people round so that we can see friends without having to mix with strangers.
    If you believe you need to reduce transmission, actually the household mixing is one of the things that does work. A huge bulk of transmission is within households and in homes via close friends, because people spend hours in each others company, closely interacting and obviously no mask wearing. And especially in the winter when you won't be outside and unlikely to have much ventilation.

Things like mask in gyms on the other hand are just nonsense.
    We have never traced the source of all transmission, because our tracing has been crap. So we don't know how much transmission happens in places like gyms.

It's much easier to do tracing in private homes because you know who the other people there are. In fact, at times of high levels of community transmission it's possible that some transmission that happened elsewhere is blamed on coincidental contact in private homes.

I'm wondering whether having a HEPA purifier at home will counterbalance the lack of caution aspects to make home a safer environment than the pub.
This discussion has been closed.