Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Boris Johnson and the Tories may soon experience a surge in the polls – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Official figures show the UK has recorded 61 COVID-19 related deaths and 40,004 positive cases of the virus in the latest 24-hour period

For more on this and other news visit http://news.sky.com

40,004 (+9.4%) 61 deaths (-5.9%) admissions 881 (-4.7%)
    Never worth looking at sunday's, the numbers are always down. Compare the 7 day average and do not try to kid yourself and other people. Bit like using subsamples.
    The numbers have shown the falls for sometime now, apart from infections, and there is no evidence admissions or sadly deaths are rising

Indeed my daughter and her family have had positive tests this last week but they are working from home whilst isolating

The does seem to be quite a few locally contacting covid but the vaccine and boosters are working and keeping them out of hospital
    Unfortunately the vaccine and boosters are not working for those who refused to have them, the same people who are responsible for reducing the NHS to its knees going into the winter months.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/21/icu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin

My patience with them is wearing thin too. It's time to make the life of the unvaccinated difficult, rather than watch the NHS disintegrate and in response impose further restrictions on the substantial majority who have done the right thing.
    I agree. Vaccine passports for pubs and sporting events have always seemed to me to be a sensible way of incentivising the stupid. The obvious Darwinian benefit is just too slow and the consequences for others too severe to let this go on.
    Vaccine passports for pubs doesn’t just make life difficult for the unvaccinated. It makes life very difficult for the pubs expected to enforce them as well.
    Not being able to leave the country is going to be the biggest problem for the unvaxxed.
    Assume many of them would not be leaving in any case but they do need to make it difficult for non vaccinated people who have no reason at all for not getting it.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 775
    These vastly different council tax rates surely makes the case for a single annual property rate (or banded rates) applied nationally, rather than based on local council's net financing requirements.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,518

darkage said:

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Getting vaccinated is a risk based decision for people to take. In almost all cases the risk from the vaccine is much lower than the risk from Covid, but unfortunately there are exceptions.

Given how much trouble COVID is causing in hospitals as a result of the unvaccinated, the only real option that preserves civil liberties and avoids a biosurveillance state is different hospital care for the vaccinated and unvaccinated. There would be exceptions for people who cannot get vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons. I cannot see any other option working: excluding the unvaccinated from society (either by lockdowns or preventing them from accessing public places) is only going to fuel the conspiracy theories that drive much vaccine hesitancy and seem to have provoked riots in parts of Europe.

You mean don't treat the unvaccinated?
    You can treat them but within limits defined by the resources available in the healthcare system at any point in time.
    You cannot stop treating cancer, in order treat COVID amongst the unvaccinated.
    It seems astonishing to me, that with all the evidence we have about:
    Safety - some side effects, but usually limited to a day or two.
    Efficacy - ICU is mainly unvaccinated people, many of whom assumed they were too healthy and fit to suffer from Covid.
    That people are still not getting vaccinated.
    I think the government needs a huge advertising campaign showing ICU and detailing the vaccination status. A few dead ‘I’m too healthy a fit to suffer’ types being buried with weeping relatives too.

I’m fucking done with those who wont get vaccinated. Why the fuck not you dickheads?
    As they are mostly working age, and clearly in actuarial terms are higher risk, perhaps an NI surcharge of 2% would work, with a rebate for all those with an up to date vaccination passport.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    alex_ said:

darkage said:

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

Getting vaccinated is a risk based decision for people to take. In almost all cases the risk from the vaccine is much lower than the risk from Covid, but unfortunately there are exceptions.

Given how much trouble COVID is causing in hospitals as a result of the unvaccinated, the only real option that preserves civil liberties and avoids a biosurveillance state is different hospital care for the vaccinated and unvaccinated. There would be exceptions for people who cannot get vaccinated for legitimate medical reasons. I cannot see any other option working: excluding the unvaccinated from society (either by lockdowns or preventing them from accessing public places) is only going to fuel the conspiracy theories that drive much vaccine hesitancy and seem to have provoked riots in parts of Europe.

You can treat them but within limits defined by the resources available in the healthcare system at any point in time.
    This sort of thing is a slippery slope though. Obviously it is a slippery slope some people might be quite happy to go down, but what fundamentally is the difference between this and different treatment for smokers, or overweight people, or drug users, or alcoholics or...

And it would be interesting to know how many of the people in hospital taking up valuable space right now fall into those categories. Or how many people in those categories are the one's experiencing reduced levels of care because of the Covid contribution.
    Slippery slope arguments are by and large rubbish. We already have a policy on smokers etc etc etc, and we are happy with it. You could have argued when cocaine was made illegal "but what about caffeine and nicotine?" to which the short answer is, we are talking about cocaine. One thing at a time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,093
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

Mr. Pointer, if you can live anywhere why would you choose the place that makes you pay more?

Because, Mr. Morris, money isn't everything. People do not choose to live in Britain because it is cheapest but because: a) it's a great place to live, and b) they have emotional/family ties to the UK - a sense of belonging.

In any event, I'd place this (small percentage) tax on the wealth of every British citizen, no matter where they reside or whetre their assets are. If an individual chooses to give up their British citizenship, so be it (but don't let them expect to get it back later). Frankly if they care that little for Britain they can feck right off.
    Money isn't everything, but it certainly is something. Otherwise you wouldn't have people like Hamilton. No one is suggesting every high net worth individual would leave with a wealth tax, but a 0.5% might convince 1 in 100 to leave. Up that to 1% and it might be 5 in 100.
    But we aren't really looking at a wealth tax on all asset classes (it's too complex and is a problem given how ISAs and pensions work), we really are only looking at taxing the current value of the residential properties you own in place of council tax and stamp duty.

For anything else is too blooming complex and probably covered by other taxes (capital gains) anyway.
    I don't that is what @Benpointer has been proposing, rather a tax on the complete wealth of an individual (and apparently all overseas citizens, too).
    It doesn't work - which is why we have taxes such as capital gains because it's better to tax an asset as it's sold rather than forcing people to have to liquidate assets once a year to pay this years levy.
    Pah! "It doesn't work"? It's not been tried.

Liquidating assets? 0.5% per annum should be easily payable from any return on assets over £1m, with the possible exception of primary residences. The 'little old lady or man in a big house' problem already has a solution which is used for social care costs (it's called property charges payable when the asset is eventually sold).

Nothing insurmountable in any of the challenges related to a wealth tax provided there is a will to address them.
    Most people's wealth is in their primary residential property - remember the original point in this debate was you can't increase council tax by 40% no matter who you play with the bands.
    This wouldn't do that though.

Any wealth tax would obviosuly have to have a sizable personal allowance exempt from the tax - say £0.5m? So most houses excluded since they fall within the personal allowance (and for couples sharing the asset a £1m house would be within the allowance).

So the vast majority would be unaffected. But your £10m castle is going to pay a lot more than band H, I get that.
    So you are replacing capital gains tax (£10bn in tax revenue) then and including residential properties now (which you were excluding in your last post).
    When did I exclude residential properties??
    In your previous post - which said

Liquidating assets? 0.5% per annum should be easily payable from any return on assets over £1m, with the possible exception of primary residences.

Blimey how much clearer can I be? I said liquidating the primary residence asset is difficult (but offered a solution - property charges); I didn't say the asset should be excluded. It should and must be included.
    I think the idea is sound in theory and is also practical (with self-assessment and big penalties for fraudulent understatements) except for maybe the politics. If just the one party goes with it I can imagine an electoral dividend for the one that opposes. The public don't like taxes and this one has the aggravating factor of "already taxed, government coming for another bite, not fair, not fair". This is a fallacious view imo but widely held. It's part of why IHT is hated even by those who wouldn't pay it.
    "maybe."

This is really sweet. The idea "From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" is also sound in theory and also practical "except for maybe the politics." A wealth tax is IHT's big brother. Indeed you'd have to subsume IHT into it, otherwise you really would have double taxation. It was an IHT pledge which torpedoed Brown's 2008 GE and got Cameron over the line in 2010. Neither party will touch it with a bp.
    Is my point, yes. But I'm not quite as certain as you that it can't happen. Eg, frame the choice as going down this road or give up on cherished things like free-at-point-of-need health care. And pitch it small and selective to start with so most aren't hit. Win on that basis, time passes, gets accepted, ratchet up over the years. Like that. Nevertheless, I agree, probably not going to be happening for some time if ever. We fudge and stumble on.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Official figures show the UK has recorded 61 COVID-19 related deaths and 40,004 positive cases of the virus in the latest 24-hour period

Never worth looking at sunday's, the numbers are always down. Compare the 7 day average and do not try to kid yourself and other people. Bit like using subsamples.
    The numbers have shown the falls for sometime now, apart from infections, and there is no evidence admissions or sadly deaths are rising

Indeed my daughter and her family have had positive tests this last week but they are working from home whilst isolating

The does seem to be quite a few locally contacting covid but the vaccine and boosters are working and keeping them out of hospital
    Unfortunately the vaccine and boosters are not working for those who refused to have them, the same people who are responsible for reducing the NHS to its knees going into the winter months.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/21/icu-is-full-of-the-unvaccinated-my-patience-with-them-is-wearing-thin

My patience with them is wearing thin too. It's time to make the life of the unvaccinated difficult, rather than watch the NHS disintegrate and in response impose further restrictions on the substantial majority who have done the right thing.
    I agree. Vaccine passports for pubs and sporting events have always seemed to me to be a sensible way of incentivising the stupid. The obvious Darwinian benefit is just too slow and the consequences for others too severe to let this go on.
    You already have that rubbish in Scotland and there's no evidence it's made a blind bit of difference.
    Well maybe the fact that Scotland is at 1:95 whereas England is at 1:65 would say it could possibly make a difference. Something must be causing it to be 50% less in Scotland. Any idea of what rubbish it could be.

PS: given it only started a few weeks ago it is a bit quick to have masses of evidence into the bargain.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    Ratters said:

These vastly different council tax rates surely makes the case for a single annual property rate (or banded rates) applied nationally, rather than based on local council's net financing requirements.

Which would make it considerably more difficult for working-class people to live in more expensive areas of the country.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    Ratters said:

You mean how it used to be before Osbourne changed it and introduced real austerity to the northern authorities with cheaper 1991 prices.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

the booster rollout is slack and sloppy.

Really?

Is that rebased to be 6 months post second dose?, because as most of Europe was a couple of months behind us, a lot more of the boosters are not yet due.
    While that's true, most European countries (and most of the US and pretty much everywhere except Israel), has been slow to encourage people to take boosters.

That being said... one thing we do know is that these countries have both the vaccine stockpiles and the infrastructure in place to get booster shots moving when they want to. If France or the Netherlands or Denmark (all of which are at very high proportions of 12+ with vaccines) opened up the floodgates, they could put a lot of doses in arms very quickly.

At the peak, the EEA managed just shy of 29 million doses of vaccine doses in a week. That means they could get 150 to 180 million doses between now and Christmas... But that requires them to commit. The UK has committed to a booster dose programme, Israel has committed, the US has (just) committed, but the continent is lagging. They can turn it around, but they need the political will to do so.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

You already have that rubbish in Scotland and there's no evidence it's made a blind bit of difference.
    Well maybe the fact that Scotland is at 1:95 whereas England is at 1:65 would say it could possibly make a difference. Something must be causing it to be 50% less in Scotland. Any idea of what rubbish it could be.

PS: given it only started a few weeks ago it is a bit quick to have masses of evidence into the bargain.
    We lesser breeds in the territories should be grateful for any words of wisdom from the Bwanas.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Which would make it considerably more difficult for working-class people to live in more expensive areas of the country.
    The current problem, though, is that poorer areas have more service demands than richer areas. They therefore have higher council tax charges, which encourage the flight of the more talented. (Why stay and pay more Council Tax when you can move to a richer part of the country and pay less? Only those whose Council Tax is subsidised by Central Government stay in high tax areas.)
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Comparing case rates is irrelevant with so many factors involved. The argument was that they will make the stupid get vaccinated, so the question is did you get an increase in people getting vaccinated, and the answer is no.

Embarassing to see Sturgeon quoting increased vaccination numbers almost entirely made up of the school roll out to claim an impact.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

It's been very effective in France at persuading people to get the jab.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm not surprised French anti-vaxxers gave up without a fight - there's no evidence it's helped in Scotland.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

The current problem, though, is that poorer areas have more service demands than richer areas. They therefore have higher council tax charges, which encourage the flight of the more talented. (Why stay and pay more Council Tax when you can move to a richer part of the country and pay less? Only those whose Council Tax is subsidised by Central Government stay in high tax areas.)
    What evidence do you have for that?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

One sad milestone this week. The last of our Spanish/Portuguese nurses is leaving. We recruited about 10 in 2015. Most went back, or to France/Germany pre pandemic, but being redeployed to ICU was the final straw for the last one. She goes in a fortnight albeit with British dual nationality, but I don't think she will return.

A lot of staff have had enough and are talking of going too, even Mrs Foxy and I are increasingly talking about it.

Please don't go Foxy, the NHS is barely surviving as it is.
    Not planning to yet, but doing anything at the moment is like wading in treacle, hard work to make minimal progress. No beds, staff shortages, morale in the dumps, patients with loads of neglected conditions over the last 18 months. It really is no longer much of a pleasure, and generally I love my job and have great colleagues and juniors.

One thing too is that while I haven't really been locked down is that my habits have changed. I went to my first meal out last week in over 6 months. It was nice, but used to be nearly a weekly event. I have re-learnt to enjoy simple pleasures such as reading, music, gardening, cooking, walking my dog across the fields, visiting the Isle of Wight family etc. In short, the cost of my leisure activities has reduced quite noticeably, and the simple life appeals more each day.
    Anecdotally am hearing much of this. Taking fewer hours, or changing jobs for less pay and less hassle. My brother just quit yesterday for less pay but better hours. They realised they simply don't need the money that much anymore. If they ever did.
    Yes and it is not just a British phenomenon. The Atlantic broke it down in several ways: the Great Resignation, the Great Rudeness, the Great Reset and the Great Reshuffling.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/great-resignation-accelerating/620382/

I don't think that I will quit medicine, but I may well "retire and return" on pension plus 50% part time, perhaps in another part of the country, or just doing locums when I fancy. Mrs Foxy would quite like to move to Wilts/Dorset area, where she has family.
    It's a tricky one, and no mistaking.

I had my personal pause (for entirely nice reasons) starting about 18 months before Covid kicked off. Nothing like stopping for realising how much doing something like teaching takes out of you. And how futile some of the activity is.

So now I do other things in the education field, somewhat less money for a lot less work. And headspace to enjoy other stuff. I'm not sure what would motivate me to go back in the classroom full time. If money, it would have to be an unrealistically enormous amount.

I'm a freak, but not that much of one. Depending on how common people like me are, this could be a problem for public services and the wider economy.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    d_d said:

so you are still thinking that vaccination is only about fighting the virus. LOL

That's what Bill Gates told me last night.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    I'd be okay with council tax being standardised to a uniform percentage of property value across the nation but only if the money stayed local. Otherwise what's the bloody point of council tax paying for local services.
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

I'm not surprised French anti-vaxxers gave up without a fight - there's no evidence it's helped in Scotland.
    None so blind as those that will not see,
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

alex_ said:

darkage said:

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

This sort of thing is a slippery slope though. Obviously it is a slippery slope some people might be quite happy to go down, but what fundamentally is the difference between this and different treatment for smokers, or overweight people, or drug users, or alcoholics or...

And it would be interesting to know how many of the people in hospital taking up valuable space right now fall into those categories. Or how many people in those categories are the one's experiencing reduced levels of care because of the Covid contribution.
    Slippery slope arguments are by and large rubbish. We already have a policy on smokers etc etc etc, and we are happy with it. You could have argued when cocaine was made illegal "but what about caffeine and nicotine?" to which the short answer is, we are talking about cocaine. One thing at a time.
    Agree about 'slippery slope' and 'where do you draw the line?' arguments. The answer "Well, here" is often sufficient. But in this case I don't think it is. If doctors were to refuse to (eg) treat a young and otherwise healthy Covid sufferer purely on the grounds they'd failed to get the vaccine it would be a massive departure from a core principle of medicine and the medical profession. Can't see it. Don't want to see it. And won't have to because it's imo utterly out of the question. I'd say there's more chance of our 'not happening' wealth tax happening than the unvaccinated being excluded from health care.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Is it not simply that the comparisons most commmonly used to show council tax in different areas, are completely spurious.

How many “Band A” properties exist within the M25, and how many “Band E” properties exist in northern towns like Rotherham?

Does the owner of a 2,000 sq ft, 3 bed semi, pay more or less council tax in London or Rotherham?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    MaxPB said:

I'd be okay with council tax being standardised to a uniform percentage of property value across the nation but only if the money stayed local. Otherwise what's the bloody point of council tax paying for local services.

It all goes into care basically.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

rcs1000 said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

None so blind as those that will not see,
    Since they were introduced adult 1st dose vaccination has increased by 1.3% in Scotland, and in England without them, but 1.6%.

My eyes aren't closed, they're rolling at you.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    Was campaigning in Old Bexley and Sidcup this afternoon.

Conservative vote generally holding up, not much change from 2019 other than a few more undecideds. Should be a solid Tory hold even if on a reduced majority. James Brokenshire remembered with affection
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited November 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Really?

Is that rebased to be 6 months post second dose?, because as most of Europe was a couple of months behind us, a lot more of the boosters are not yet due.
    While that's true, most European countries (and most of the US and pretty much everywhere except Israel), has been slow to encourage people to take boosters.

That being said... one thing we do know is that these countries have both the vaccine stockpiles and the infrastructure in place to get booster shots moving when they want to. If France or the Netherlands or Denmark (all of which are at very high proportions of 12+ with vaccines) opened up the floodgates, they could put a lot of doses in arms very quickly.

At the peak, the EEA managed just shy of 29 million doses of vaccine doses in a week. That means they could get 150 to 180 million doses between now and Christmas... But that requires them to commit. The UK has committed to a booster dose programme, Israel has committed, the US has (just) committed, but the continent is lagging. They can turn it around, but they need the political will to do so.
    They’ve determined on the unvaxxed being the problem whereas we by and large have switched to boosters as being key. Whilst objectively the gains (in health outcome terms anyway, perhaps not so much if there is a continued focus on “case” numbers) from the former are possibly greater (particularly if focussed on the elderly refuseniks) this only works if they can be persuaded or coerced. In practical terms the the gains from boosters may be far greater.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Is it not simply that the comparisons most commmonly used to show council tax in different areas, are completely spurious.

How many “Band A” properties exist within the M25, and how many “Band E” properties exist in northern towns like Rotherham?

Does the owner of a 2,000 sq ft, 3 bed semi, pay more or less council tax in London or Rotherham?
    That is a massive 3 bed semi lol. One thing, everywhere ought to be unitary. 2 tier is a farce that just adds jobs for the boys and expense.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    We can all whistle at today's case numbers...

https://www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/80s/830724yk.htm

• Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

One sad milestone this week. The last of our Spanish/Portuguese nurses is leaving. We recruited about 10 in 2015. Most went back, or to France/Germany pre pandemic, but being redeployed to ICU was the final straw for the last one. She goes in a fortnight albeit with British dual nationality, but I don't think she will return.

A lot of staff have had enough and are talking of going too, even Mrs Foxy and I are increasingly talking about it.

Not planning to yet, but doing anything at the moment is like wading in treacle, hard work to make minimal progress. No beds, staff shortages, morale in the dumps, patients with loads of neglected conditions over the last 18 months. It really is no longer much of a pleasure, and generally I love my job and have great colleagues and juniors.

One thing too is that while I haven't really been locked down is that my habits have changed. I went to my first meal out last week in over 6 months. It was nice, but used to be nearly a weekly event. I have re-learnt to enjoy simple pleasures such as reading, music, gardening, cooking, walking my dog across the fields, visiting the Isle of Wight family etc. In short, the cost of my leisure activities has reduced quite noticeably, and the simple life appeals more each day.
    Anecdotally am hearing much of this. Taking fewer hours, or changing jobs for less pay and less hassle. My brother just quit yesterday for less pay but better hours. They realised they simply don't need the money that much anymore. If they ever did.
    Yes and it is not just a British phenomenon. The Atlantic broke it down in several ways: the Great Resignation, the Great Rudeness, the Great Reset and the Great Reshuffling.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/10/great-resignation-accelerating/620382/

I don't think that I will quit medicine, but I may well "retire and return" on pension plus 50% part time, perhaps in another part of the country, or just doing locums when I fancy. Mrs Foxy would quite like to move to Wilts/Dorset area, where she has family.
    Well I hope whatever you choose works out.

Speaking personally (and in the negative) I think a big factor in being able to feel good post career is that you can look back and say, "Yep, I did something of real value and I did it to the best of my ability".

This might not work for a Sinatra song but I do think it's the case.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

That is a massive 3 bed semi lol. One thing, everywhere ought to be unitary. 2 tier is a farce that just adds jobs for the boys and expense.
    Only if town and parish councils get increased power too should we have universal unitary councils, otherwise there is no significant council with a local link to where people actually live rather than a town or city up to an hour away
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Only if town and parish councils get increased power should we have universal unitary councils
    We have unitary councils in Scotland. Have had them for many years.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,787
    eek said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't think there is much you can now do about them - everyone online who I know is anti-vax are shall we say hard to have a rational conversation with (because they think they won't be seriously ill with it).
    The problem as I see it is the unvaccinated are also the least likely to accept any lockdowns or restrictions on their lives. Nothing is going to stop them catching COVID and clogging up the healthcare system, trying to prevent them from going to pubs or events is not actually going to stop them from catching COVID. The options are all hard and slippery slopes. If you don't want universal lockdowns; or to stop treating other health problems, you are left with either compulsory vaccinations or just let the unvaccinated die when they get COVID.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    alex_ said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Really?

They’ve determined on the unvaxxed being the problem whereas we by and large have switched to boosters as being key. Whilst objectively the gains (in health outcome terms anyway, perhaps not so much if there is a continued focus on “case” numbers) from the former are possibly greater (particularly if focussed on the elderly refuseniks) this only works if they can be persuaded or coerced. In practical terms the the gains from boosters may be far greater.
    The additional problem being that promoting boosters actually makes many of the anti vaxxed more determined, particularly those of a conspiracist mindset.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Only if town and parish councils get increased power should we have universal unitary councils
    Scotland is slightly different as outside the major urban areas of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen the average town is significantly smaller than that in England and particularly in the rural areas there are often vast expanses of little settlement. Though even Scotland has community councils
  • Options

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

We lesser breeds in the territories should be grateful for any words of wisdom from the Bwanas.

And then Tom he talked along and talked along, and says, le's all three slide out of here one of these nights and get an outfit , and go for howling adventures amongst the Injuns, over in the Territory, for a couple of weeks or two; and I says, all right, that suits me, but I ain't got no money for to buy the outfit, and I reckon I couldn't get none from home, because it's likely pap's been back before now, and got it all away from Judge Thatcher and drunk it up.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    d_d said:

so you are still thinking that vaccination is only about fighting the virus. LOL

I'm not worried, I took the vaccine, all three doses, as I'd much rather not die a slow painful death from Covid 19.

Anyway I have a mobile phone and an Amazon Prime account so Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos already know where I am.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

d_d said:

I'm not worried, I took the vaccine, all three doses, as I'd much rather not die a slow painful death from Covid 19.

Anyway I have a mobile phone and an Amazon Prime account so Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos already know where I am.
    Now they know what you are thinking, too ;)
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

And then Tom he talked along and talked along, and says, le's all three slide out of here one of these nights and get an outfit , and go for howling adventures amongst the Injuns, over in the Territory, for a couple of weeks or two; and I says, all right, that suits me, but I ain't got no money for to buy the outfit, and I reckon I couldn't get none from home, because it's likely pap's been back before now, and got it all away from Judge Thatcher and drunk it up.
    British Territories citizens' rights accorfing to HMG website:

"Unless you’re also a British citizen: you’re still subject to immigration controls - you do not have the automatic right to live or work in the UK."
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

I live right next to 2 unitary councils. How my life is worse because Oldcotes isn't in the Doncaster or Rotherham unitary area I'm not sure. Council tax for both Rotherham and Doncaster (And yes both have significant rural areas) is lower than Bassetlaw/Nottingham for equivalent properties.
    I love my house, but the council situation is a bit annoying. It's not the first 2 grand of council tax I have an issue with.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

"Unless you’re also a British citizen: you’re still subject to immigration controls - you do not have the automatic right to live or work in the UK."
    Make them overseas territories with seats in Parliament as France does
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Scotland is slightly different as outside the major urban areas of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen the average town is significantly smaller than that in England and particularly in the rural areas there are often vast expanses of little settlement. Though even Scotland has community councils
    I actually think some of the councils are too small for efficiency - possibly related to my suspicion that it was to some extent gerrymandered by Mr Major's administration who set up the unitary councils in Scotland in 1996.
  • Options
    d_d said:

after mouth breathing idiots who got a dozen of jabs somehow teleport to the best of the worlds, the chosen few would rule the Earth.

Radical new Leon?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I can relate to every word of that. Education is very, very similar, except it's not neglected conditions but children who didn't do any of the work they were set in lockdown and are now wondering why they are over a year behind everyone else. Even among those who did do the work there are issues. In particular, Year 12 this year seem to be all at sea.

And we're expected to do something about it. While we have staffing shortages, no extra money, including no extra pay, and on top of ongoing restrictions.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

I was referring ironically to Ms Mordaunt MP's view of NI (which is, OK, overseas), Wales and Scotland ...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,780
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Speaking personally (and in the negative) I think a big factor in being able to feel good post career is that you can look back and say, "Yep, I did something of real value and I did it to the best of my ability".

Weren't you.... an accountant?

Forgive me if I got that wrong
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Spain would actually go mental if we did that with Gibraltar. Likewise Argentina with the Falklands. And Bermuda doesn't seem to want it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

An honest accountant is a pearl beyond price. Not to mention a competent one when one has a tax problem.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That was the good bit.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    edited November 2021
    RobD said:

d_d said:

Now they know what you are thinking, too ;)
    That might work in my favour.

Whenever I go into another room and wonder "what did I come in here for?" Jeff and Bill can now help me out AND I've protected myself against the Corona Virus.

"Alexa, why am I in the kitchen?". "You came in to make a cup of tea"
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

An honest accountant is a pearl beyond price. Not to mention a competent one when one has a tax problem.
    I gather, done right, it's a very taxing profession.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Spain would actually go mental if we did that with Gibraltar. Likewise Argentina with the Falklands. And Bermuda doesn't seem to want it.
    The penguins in the Antarctic might beg to differ. They're anyones for a bucket of krill.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Only if town and parish councils get increased power too should we have universal unitary councils, otherwise there is no significant council with a local link to where people actually live rather than a town or city up to an hour away
    Town and parish councils are just full of power hungry whoppers
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Not quite full. Not all of them are obsessed with invading Scotland.
  • Options
    Day out with my older daughter. We went to Silchester (modestly interesting deserted Roman city) and then the Vyne (the house shut at 3 so we missed it). Oh well. We still had fun letting the dog run around the ancient amphitheatre and we had nice sandwiches in Silchester Tesco car park.

The absolute highlight of the day?

My 15 year old daughter revealing that her favourite sitcom is Parks and Rec and her favourite character within it is Ron Swanson

My heart sang with paternal pride. Tho I remained apparently calm. The girl will go far
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,857
    Leaked photo of Priti Patel’s latest plan to curb the illegal migrant crisis. Extreme but will work. https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1462456982670086159/photo/1
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

darkage said:

dixiedean said:

darkage said:

It seems astonishing to me, that with all the evidence we have about:
    Safety - some side effects, but usually limited to a day or two.
    Efficacy - ICU is mainly unvaccinated people, many of whom assumed they were too healthy and fit to suffer from Covid.
    That people are still not getting vaccinated.
    I think the government needs a huge advertising campaign showing ICU and detailing the vaccination status. A few dead ‘I’m too healthy a fit to suffer’ types being buried with weeping relatives too.

I’m fucking done with those who wont get vaccinated. Why the fuck not you dickheads?
    Thanks to the highly organised and systematic lying misinformation merchants. Pretty much all connected through the vile HART group.

Whose knowledge of data security was as poor as their knowledge of vaccines and immunology, failing the basic criterion of “don’t publish a link to your private chat logs on your public website,” which betrayed them.

https://www.logically.ai/articles/hart-files-anti-vaccine-myths-westminster

Methodically creating spin-off groups (“Us for Them”, “UK Medical Freedom Alliance”, and others), lobbying MPs (they sent daily briefings to the CRG group of Tory MPs), finding “friendly journalists” (Julia Hartley-Brewer has been very useful to them, and Toby Young is very active for them), they’ve been peddling lies and misinformation on vaccines for several months now.

Claire Craig, Joel Smalley, Ros Jones, David Paton, Toby Young, Anna Rayner, Mike Yeadon, plus, in his separate and no less dedicate way, Ivor Cummins, have all got a lot of blood on their hands.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The profit and loss probably balance out at the end of the day.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

They are actually the closest layer of government to local people and in rural areas in particular of vital importance to the running of villages
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The upper reaches of the profession are completely bent in my view. Entirely within the law of course,

Actually thinking about it all accountants are on the make.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Well tough, they are British Overseas Territories whose populations wish to remain British and we fought a war against Argentina to prove that to them in the case of the Falklands
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

They are actually the closest layer of government to local people and in rural areas in particular of vital importance to the running of villages
    Thats what such a town or parish councillor would say.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Ratters said:

Thats what such a town or parish councillor would say.
    Most people who have a town or parish council see it is having more direct impact on the day to day life of their town or village than more distant county or unitary councils or some district councils which have to cover multiple towns and villages and sometimes small cities too
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    HYUFD said:

Conservative vote generally holding up, not much change from 2019 other than a few more undecideds. Should be a solid Tory hold even if on a reduced majority. James Brokenshire remembered with affection

You are clearly not trying hard enough to root out all these fake Tories who need to be told where to go.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

You are clearly not trying hard enough to root out all these fake Tories who need to be told where to go.
    No great reason for change in OB&S.

North Shropshire is a very different case.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,354
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The upper reaches of the profession are completely bent in my view. Entirely within the law of course,

Good and honest accountants are not that rare (though I'd agree about the upper reaches of the profession).
    Competent solicitors are much harder to find in my experience.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Spain has not one but TWO "Gibraltars" - Ceuta and Melilla on the Moroccan coast.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Scott_xP said:

Leaked photo of Priti Patel’s latest plan to curb the illegal migrant crisis. Extreme but will work. https://twitter.com/ArchRose90/status/1462456982670086159/photo/1

France would be within its rights to start shelling the south coast
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

I would add I think the LDs could come 4th in OB&S.

I encountered a few Labour voters but not a single LD voter and RefUK and Tice are campaigning hard there.

4th place in O B & S would not be great momentum ahead of North Shropshire. especially as the LDs are starting from 3rd there in 2019
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Is that your bottom line?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Good and honest accountants are not that rare (though I'd agree about the upper reaches of the profession).
    What a waste of a life. Being an accountant

You get one go on this earth. And you spend it totting up numbers to save people some tax? In an office? That's it?

There are some jobs I find contemptible, others I find pitiful. Accountant seems to tick both boxes. A rarity
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

I would add I think the LDs could come 4th in OB&S.

I encountered a few Labour voters but not a single LD voter and RefUK and Tice are campaigning hard there.

4th place in O B & S would not be great momentum ahead of North Shropshire. especially as the LDs are starting from 3rd there in 2019
    The LDs ought not to feature at all. I simply don't understand how they manage it. They're clearly nowhere.

OB&S - who knows. North Shropshire - choose your protest vote.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You get one go on this earth. And you spend it totting up numbers to save people some tax? In an office? That's it?

There are some jobs I find contemptible, others I find pitiful. Accountant seems to tick both boxes. A rarity
    Accountants can still look down on columnists though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Day out with my older daughter. We went to Silchester (modestly interesting deserted Roman city) and then the Vyne (the house shut at 3 so we missed it). Oh well. We still had fun letting the dog run around the ancient amphitheatre and we had nice sandwiches in Silchester Tesco car park.

My 15 year old daughter revealing that her favourite sitcom is Parks and Rec and her favourite character within it is Ron Swanson

My heart sang with paternal pride. Tho I remained apparently calm. The girl will go far

Bojack Horseman in my daughter's case.
    A bit woke for you, probably. Though you might recognise something familiar in the titular character.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That sounds a nice day.

So, listen, I asked you this before and you ignored me, but I wasn't sure whether it was on purpose or not, so just another whirl and if it's another blank, no probs and I'll drop it.

Was that a "Tesco Meal Deal" you had?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Accountants can still look down on columnists though.
    And prime ministers. Well, one at least.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    BigRich said:

On the subject of Unvaccinated getting vaccines,

A few days ago, at work I was talking to a very heathy mid 20 year old, and it came up that he had not had the vaccine. I did my best to not express outrage or hostility, and furthered the conversation to try to wok out why, it terns out that he had tried to book a Jab many months ago, but he did not know his NHS number, and hit would not let he continue, so he did not bother, being heathy he had never gone to a hospital or even a GP. As I was trying to think how I could find out this chaps NHS Number, somebody else form the other side if the room, chipped in that they have changed the website and you can book without your NHS number now. He has now booked a jab, I think for this weekend.

One person will not make a big difference, but I did feel good after helping to resolve that. I don't know how many people are in that situation, possibly not many, but worth knowing that you can book a jab without an NHS number in case anybody find themselves in similar situation.

You always could. I've no idea what mine is and I booked both jabs with no trouble. I think he read the instructions wrong.

Kudos to you and your colleague for sorting him out though. Good for him and good for everyone else.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

A bit woke for you, probably. Though you might recognise something familiar in the titular character.
    Roy Chubby Brown is a bit woke for Leon
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Spain has not one but TWO "Gibraltars" - Ceuta and Melilla on the Moroccan coast.
    So?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

A few days ago, at work I was talking to a very heathy mid 20 year old, and it came up that he had not had the vaccine. I did my best to not express outrage or hostility, and furthered the conversation to try to wok out why, it terns out that he had tried to book a Jab many months ago, but he did not know his NHS number, and hit would not let he continue, so he did not bother, being heathy he had never gone to a hospital or even a GP. As I was trying to think how I could find out this chaps NHS Number, somebody else form the other side if the room, chipped in that they have changed the website and you can book without your NHS number now. He has now booked a jab, I think for this weekend.

One person will not make a big difference, but I did feel good after helping to resolve that. I don't know how many people are in that situation, possibly not many, but worth knowing that you can book a jab without an NHS number in case anybody find themselves in similar situation.

You always could. I've no idea what mine is and I booked both jabs with no trouble. I think he read the instructions wrong.

Kudos to you and your colleague for sorting him out though. Good for him and good for everyone else.
    Yes, if you don’t know your NHS no. it simply asks for your name, date of birth and postcode. Surely his friend could remember those?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Another damn thick post. Always scribble, scribble, scribble eh mr Leon?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

So?
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Is it funny? It would be the first Woke comedy to be funny if it is funny. I do not know of any funny Woke comedians or sitcoms, indeed the concept of Wokeness is intrinsically inimical to great humour. In Woke-istan, that which is taboo REMAINS taboo, only more so, and all great comedy breaks taboos therefore NOPE

But I am in an agreeable mood and happy to try anything. I shall give Bojack Horseman a go

Looking back at early Parks and Rec it was amazingly happy to confront political correctness and satirise it (eg the problematic Pawnee Town Hall murals showing Indians being politely massacred). No way it would get past the Woke police today
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

For many of them, perhaps.
    But it's a profession that allows entry into just about every business - and not all of them are boring.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

So?
    People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?
    When has that ever stopped anyone doing so?
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Did you hear about the non-binary murderer?
    They/them.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

Yes, if you don’t know your NHS no. it simply asks for your name, date of birth and postcode. Surely his friend could remember those?
    I'm 99% sure I booked my jab back in the spring without my NHS number.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You either get the thrill of 'double entry' or you don't. And I did. Straightaway, I did. Still remember the first time. I was only 22 and oh boy.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Chisel, chisel, chisel, I think you will find

A description which would also, of course, apply to all the bankers, accountants, lawyers and politicians on this forum, and many many others
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

A description which would also, of course, apply to all the bankers, accountants, lawyers and politicians on this forum, and many many others
    You admit that you're a chiseller?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Is it funny? It would be the first Woke comedy to be funny if it is funny. I do not know of any funny Woke comedians or sitcoms, indeed the concept of Wokeness is intrinsically inimical to great humour. That which is taboo REMAINS taboo, only more so, and all great comedy breaks taboos therefore NOPE....
    I though it was.
    Though it does take a little patience to get into.
    Like you (though perhaps for different reasons) I was disposed not to like it, but it's actually pretty good.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Just heard about SeanT's latest book - "Kid-knapped".
  • Options
    Eddie Izzard. If anyone's looking for woke + unquestionably funny.
  • Options

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Just heard about SeanT's latest book - "Kid-knapped".
    That was so bad I flintched.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,252
    edited November 2021
    I'm afraid that we may need to accept that the true proportion of the country vaccinated is closer to 20% i.e. those triple jabbed and even then it's not foolproof. Rich Preston, the Senior Reporter and anchor for BBC World News, has just tested positive and he's triple jabbed, wears a mask everywhere and observes social distancing.

https://twitter.com/RichPreston/status/1462408815207452677?s=20

We have a long way still to go with this pandemic. At least 2 years. This winter will be tough for everyone in Europe, including the UK.

Sorry. Wish it were not so, believe me.

• Options
    Heathener said:

I'm afraid that we may need to accept that the true proportion of the country vaccinated is closer to 20% i.e. those triple jabbed and even then it's not foolproof. Rich Preston, the senior reporter and anchor for BBC world news has just test positive and he's triple jabbed, wears mask everywhere and observes social distancing.

We have a long way still to go with this pandemic. At least 2 years. This winter will be tough for everyone in Europe, including the UK.

Likely to be as accurate as your predictions of October lockdown, for one very good reason.

It doesn't matter if you test positive if you are not going to become seriously ill as a result. That's what vaccines, even just one or two doses, have been very good at. They don't stop you getting it, but they do cut the likelihood of getting ill by an order of magnitude.

That's why Austria is locking down and we're not.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Is it funny? It would be the first Woke comedy to be funny if it is funny. I do not know of any funny Woke comedians or sitcoms, indeed the concept of Wokeness is intrinsically inimical to great humour. That which is taboo REMAINS taboo, only more so, and all great comedy breaks taboos therefore NOPE....
    I though it was.
    Though it does take a little patience to get into.
    Like you (though perhaps for different reasons) I was disposed not to like it, but it's actually pretty good.
    I'm still struggling to get into Rick and Morty, despite ADORING Community, created and written by the same guy, Dan Harmon

Some animations work, and some just don't, despite huge talents devoted to them

This is an odd thing, because with an animation all you need to get right is the story telling and dialogue, and I guess a bit of drawing. With real life drama/comedy you have actors and directors and it's all much messier...
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I'm afraid that we may need to accept that the true proportion of the country vaccinated is closer to 20% i.e. those triple jabbed and even then it's not foolproof. Rich Preston, the Senior Reporter and anchor for BBC World News, has just tested positive and he's triple jabbed, wears a mask everywhere and observes social distancing.

I preferred you under your previous @Mysticrose ID. Then you implicitly admitted you were to be treated as a joke.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

I'm afraid that we may need to accept that the true proportion of the country vaccinated is closer to 20% i.e. those triple jabbed and even then it's not foolproof. Rich Preston, the senior reporter and anchor for BBC world news has just test positive and he's triple jabbed, wears mask everywhere and observes social distancing.

Likely to be as accurate as your predictions of October lockdown, for one very good reason.

It doesn't matter if you test positive if you are not going to become seriously ill as a result. That's what vaccines, even just one or two doses, have been very good at. They don't stop you getting it, but they do cut the likelihood of getting ill by an order of magnitude.

That's why Austria is locking down and we're not.
    Complacency has bitten us on the behind every time.

I didn't predict an October lockdown anywhere. Ever. I said preparations were being made for that contingency in Gov't departments, which they were. So I was right.

And my actual prediction was that this winter I wouldn't be surprised to see us hit 100,000 cases a day. Which we will.
  • Options
    We're in trouble. The lack of mask wearing and generally sloppy attitude of Johnson & Co. is once again leading us into trouble.

Hospitalisation and death rates are going to rise steadily.

This winter is going to be very tough.
This discussion has been closed.