Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Date for your diary: PB Gathering – Feb 3rd 2022 – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Does anyone know the COVID situation of Costa Rica? My wife and I want to escape for a bit in January and were thinking of Thailand but it looks like Asia is off the table.

Looks a bit unpromising, I'm afraid: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-costa-rica

What about Israel? They seem at least as much on top of it as we are, and should be pretty nice in January.
    Though the CDC say the same about the UK.

Yeah I just had a look at Costa Rica stats and they're well below what the CDC would have me believe, plus a pretty reasonable 60% fully vaccinated rate and 75% single dose rate. Might wait a couple of weeks and book something there.
    It does look like night clubs are still closed and a curfew from 2300 - 0500. Restaurants and bars check vaccine passports.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/costa-rica-travel-covid-19/index.html

Fox Jr was seen in hospital there, and thought it well equipped and that Jan/Feb are the best time to go.
  • Options

I have no idea what the first tweeter is complaining about. Did he think his booster had to be the same vaccine? If so he should do some reading.
    Or ask the person giving him the jab? My experience at my GP's was that they carefully explained what was being given and why.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Does anyone know the COVID situation of Costa Rica? My wife and I want to escape for a bit in January and were thinking of Thailand but it looks like Asia is off the table.

Looks a bit unpromising, I'm afraid: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-costa-rica

What about Israel? They seem at least as much on top of it as we are, and should be pretty nice in January.

Yeah I just had a look at Costa Rica stats and they're well below what the CDC would have me believe, plus a pretty reasonable 60% fully vaccinated rate and 75% single dose rate. Might wait a couple of weeks and book something there.
    It does look like night clubs are still closed and a curfew from 2300 - 0500. Restaurants and bars check vaccine passports.

Cheers Foxy, think this could be the one. Hopefully by January they'll dump all these other measures.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Dura_Ace said:

Starmer: "Be under no illusion, the prime minister has only done this U-turn because his back was against the wall."

So I guess that means that Bozo now has his nose against the wall.

Keir isn't like Boris. When his back's against the wall, he turns around and fights.
    So he fights the wall?
    Yes, that's the joke. :)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,506

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Well that's English & Welsh cricket fucked.

Nadine Dorries will be in charge.

Exclusive: The government is warning English cricket’s governing body that unless it leads by example in rooting out racism within the sport, it will be forced to step in and take over.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/government-warns-it-will-be-forced-to-step-in-if-english-cricket-doesnt-do-enough-to-root-out-racism

I was thinking this crisis couldn't get worse.

Never make assumptions...
    I'm feeling quite depressed.

Today made me doubt my love for cricket, losing 5 nil in The Ashes (twice), being an England cricket fan in the 90s, and being shit at ODI cricket for 23 years, didn't break me, but today did.
    You are in the position the Victorians were in when dealing with Georgian cricket - it was insanely corrupt and needed a thorough clearing out.

Stiffen your upper lip and have at 'em
    Do share the 'insanely corrupt' info.

I'm not sure Georgian cricket counts for much.

Stories of £20K gabled on a match, back when that was the price of a *big* country estate... players being pretty openly paid by bookies and taking bets on matches they were in. Players falling ill due to something in their beer....

It's been a while since I read up on this, but English cricket in Georgian times was er..... fun. In a Flashman kind of way...
    Picking up a theme from earlier, that's the type of activity some people want to call "our" culture, along with getting pissed, brawling, falling over in the street, insulting policemen so you get arrested, occasionally getting benign-drink, and all the other stuff I ascribed to 'idiots'.

I suggest that it isn't our culture - it's a subculture, and in 21C we need to adjust to various other subcultures also being alongside it.

• Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Went into a Waterstones today (the one on Piccadilly, in case anyone was wondering) it's without a doubt the highest incidence of mask wearing I've seen in months. Middle class Britain still, by and large, wears masks indoors.

The other people seemed slightly scandalised to see someone (me) without one on, glad I could give them stories for the evening about young people/Asians/bloody p***s.

some day you will be an adult
    Maybe, though you'll always be a ****.
    You really are a nasty little pipsqueak , insecure runt to be pitied.
    PS: don't even have the bollox to print your insult, ask your wife how you spell it loser.
    You were born a Brit and you'll die a Brit. That gives me so much warmth inside, Malc, just to imagine your procession having a Union Flag in it and singing the national anthem of the UK.
    Dream on , no pastiche imagined nationalities for me. Britain is an island not a country as you should know.
    You can't leave Malcolm, we won't let you. If you do leave the rest of us are lumbered with JohnsonIan Governments ad infinitum.
    Some might think that having voted for him, the lesson should be learned by those voters unto the bitter end.
    Quite. Reminds me of the (mostly) English Labour Party telling the Scots it was our duty to vote for governments we didn't want so the English didn't get the governments they wanted.

Do you think if we started bleating about how the English should vote the Tories out to make Scots feel better about the Union that we'd get a sympathetic hearing?
    No but if you started campaigning for an English parliament in the event of a UK Labour government England did not vote for with the same powers as the Scottish parliament has if there is a UK Tory government Scotland did not vote for you might
    But we'd be interfering in English politics them and you would be complaining. Or quite a few Tories would.
    Well on current polls the SNP could be Kingmakers. Starmer could need them to become PM in a hung parliament and if that occurred and England still had a Tory majority it would have no parliament of its own for much of its own domestic policy as Scotland does
    Except for EVEL. You know - the first thing Mr Cameron did after indyref. So Westminster continues to be the "ENglish" parliament for practical reasons.

So I'm all the more puzzled why Mr Gove is deleting EVEL.

(Not being sarcastic. It's a valid issue that you raise and a valid response that I make.)
    Yes we had EVEL with a Tory government and I hope Mr Gove keeps it.

If the SNP do make Starmer PM though (perhaps in return for a promise for indyref2 and devomax) then EVEL will not last long. Starmer will require the SNP to vote on English laws as the price of getting indyref2 and to keep him in office
    I think you are scaremongering. It would be comtrary to SNP practice - indeed, EVEL hit the LD and Labour parties, and the Tories*, far more.

* some of whom recused themselves even before that, anyway
    The choice Starmer would give the SNP is clear, make me PM and vote on English laws or no devomax and no indyref2.

Given that choice the SNP would abandon the moral high ground quicker than a Lewis Hamilton lap and rush to the lobbies to vote on English laws
    It’s not even that

It’s make me PM or the Tories remain in power. Your choice
    Without the carrot of devomax and indyref2 though the SNP would likely just abstain, even if that meant the Tories stayed in power if they had won most seats but not a majority. That way they could tell their supporters they had not sold out and also say they had not voted to keep the Tories in either
    True but there is no way Starmer will offer the SNP anything - Labour need Scotland long term.
    There's clearly a real to be done, probably a referendum after Devomax has "had a chance to bed in".

However:
    The SNP want a referendum they will win, not one they expect to lose.
    Even passively tolerating a Conservative government will kill them stone dead with at least some of their voters.

Whilst a well-hung Parliament (C300L280 say) gives the SNP some cards, they're not easy ones to play.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Stupid tweet; stupid reply.
    I'd have thought responding to a silly tweet at 2130 is one of those things politicians (or whoever runs their twitter accounts for them) should consider just not worth it in terms of engaging on the platform. What's the upside? He is surely busy enough in the day to not spend his evenings responding to provocative tweets.
    You think he does his own tweets?
    Note the parenthesis.
  • Options
    . . . speaking of Central America . . .

Bellingham (WA) Herald - State lawmaker ill with COVID-19 in El Salvador

State Sen. Doug Ericksen of Ferndale is sickened with COVID-19 in El Salvador and is unable to receive antibody drugs to treat it. Ericksen, a Republican who represents the 42nd District in Whatcom County, has reached out to legislative colleagues for advice on how to receive monoclonal antibodies, which are unavailable in that Latin American nation, his spokesman Erik Smith told The Bellingham Herald on Friday. In a message to members of the state House and Senate, Ericksen said he took a trip to El Salvador and tested positive for COVID-19 shortly after he arrived.

Smith said members of the senator’s staff have been unable to reach Ericksen directly. “We have been unable to get ahold of Sen. Ericksen but we believe (the message) to be true,” Smith said.

In his message to legislators, Ericksen said his condition was “to the point that I feel it would be beneficial for me to receive an IV or monoclonal antibodies (Regeneron). I have a doctor here who can administer the IV, but the product is not available here.” Former President Donald Trump was given Regeneron, which has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat mild to moderate COVID-19 symptoms, when he contracted the disease last year.

Ericksen missed more votes than any other state lawmaker during this year's legislative session, with some of his absences from legislative action happening while he was observing elections in El Salvador. At the time Ericksen said that trip was separate from consulting and lobbying work he does for the country of Cambodia. He registered as a foreign agent for his work for Cambodia in 2019, and the company he launched with former state Rep. Jay Rodne once had a $500,000 contract with the country’s government. Reasons for his current visit weren’t clear.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says people should be fully vaccinated before visiting El Salvador where the current levels of COVID-19 are “high.” Smith said he wasn't sure if Ericksen has been vaccinated. Ericksen has been vocal in his opposition to Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee's requirement that thousands of workers in Washington prove they’ve been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or seek exemptions in order to keep their jobs and has called for Inslee's resignation.

Ericksen’s 42nd District colleagues, state Rep. Alicia Rule, D-Blaine, and state Rep. Sharon Shewmake, D-Bellingham, expressed their concern in text messages to the newspaper. “COVID-19 is not something you want anyone to get and I hope he makes a full recovery,” Shewmake said.

www.bellinghamherald.com/news/article255778496.html#storylink=cpy
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Cheers Foxy, think this could be the one. Hopefully by January they'll dump all these other measures.
    I would book the time off work, and not book the holiday until 2-3 weeks before.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,590
    He should have ignored it IMO.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,177
    Andy_JS said:

He should have ignored it IMO.
    Absolutely, but I still don’t get the original posters point.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

I would book the time off work, and not book the holiday until 2-3 weeks before.
    Penine Way is about 2-3 weeeks.

Always bracing in January.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is it just my imagination or does the latest iteration of Twitter have a shitload more adverts and those crappy meme accounts, eg 20 Holywood wardrobe malfunctions you must see etc?

Do you have a link to the wardrobe malfunctions?
    19 Seth Rogens to 1 Scarlett Johansson I’m afraid. Never made it past more than 6 but almost certain that you'd have to go through 19 Seths to reach Scarlett.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Looks like the compromise will be that those MP’s with existing jobs can keep them but no new ones starting next Parliment. Same compromise that was achieved with hiring spouses.
    https://twitter.com/TBorwick/status/1460689442944004103

The St Augustine solution then.

"Lord, give me chastity, but not yet."

That's not going to fly, is it?
    It doesn't sound quite stringent enough, does it?

5 years is too long - make it no new contracts and until March 31 to exit existing ones.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Is it just my imagination or does the latest iteration of Twitter have a shitload more adverts and those crappy meme accounts, eg 20 Holywood wardrobe malfunctions you must see etc?

It’s definitely 1 advert every 4 tweets which is way more than before
    I get none.
    Will you be at PBGather26? I'd like to meet you if you can attend.
    @Omnium
    Omnium, I seriously doubt it. Too far and I am still being very careful given my wife's previous illness. I am very careful where i go at present. That aside it is too far anyway, though it would be interesting to meet.
This discussion has been closed.