Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Date for your diary: PB Gathering – Feb 3rd 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,334
    HYUFD said:

Anthony Eden's wife just died at 101, she was also Churchill's niece
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1460670336362496009?s=20

Spookily, I was actually talking about Eden today - ironically, in the context of his having been our only known gay prime minister.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,129
    Evening all :)

As it's in my part of the world (nearly), I'll try and get along to the PB 22 gathering. It's on the cusp of Dublin Racing Weekend so a few thoughts on that might or might not be helpful.

As with @Leon, I'm a few days off the booster vaccination and having attended both Plumpton and Lingfield yesterday and today, I wonder if I've been foolish.

To be fair, as most race going is outdoors, I'm not too bothered but the train yesterday from East Croydon to Plumpton was busy and hardly a mask to be seen (let alone worn). Tonight, the Jubilee from London Bridge was busy (not quite pre-Covid busy but still crowded and at best 50% mask wearing).

Those who got their second vaccination in the summer are obviously still at the peak of their immunity and it's we old lags who are approaching the six months (as well as those who've not had the vaccination at all) who may be concerned though I am reassured by the many experts on here that even at six months there is immunity aplenty.
  • Options

How dare you smear this fine, hardworking, upstanding (!) member of the House of Windsor!

Sir and/or Madam, have you no shame?

I have no sense of shame, that way it enhances my other senses.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,009
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Spookily, I was actually talking about Eden today - ironically, in the context of his having been our only known gay prime minister.
    What?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

OK PB, a dilemma

A good friend has invited me to a gig by Seth Lakeman tonight, at the Union Chapel, Islington. That's one of my favourite musicians in one of my favourite venues. I've never seen him live. And I could do with a gig

And yet, I'm 5 and a half months post 2nd jab. 2 weeks from my booster. Worth the risk?

Yes of course it is. He is fantastic live. And a really nice bloke and a neighbour of mine.
    Good to hear. Always nice when an artist one admires turns out to be a good chap, or chapess

I've been trying to see him live for about a decade. Various events got in the way. I shall go, and if I get fatal Covid I will send you all the funeral bills, but also an invite to the Wake
    I listened to the two videos.
    Not my thing.

But if you’ve waited ten years you’d be mad not to go.
    Yes, indeed. Am going

Have you ever been to the Union Chapel? A truly wonderful venue. One of my favourites anywhere on this sweet earth

I saw the Gloaming there about 3 years ago. One of the best gigs of my life. Spine tingler
    Yes, many times. It’s a wonderfully atmospheric venue, and I can walk home too.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?
    You didn't know? I'm surprised. I didn't think it was exactly a secret. Even Wikipedia mentions it. Yes, when he was younger he was quite active on the gay scene.

Of course, his son the 2nd Earl of Avon was much more open about his sexuality.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,331
    edited November 2021
    BTW what an incredible place to have a PB meeting

"Close to the Tower of London"

I think we take for granted what that means. Next to a World Heritage Site, the extraordinary historic ensemble that is the Tower of London, from the exquisite St Peter ad Vincula, to the deathplace of Anne Boleyn, to the Crown Jewels and Traitor's Gate.

But also right underneath Tower Bridge, surely the most iconic bridge on earth, and in direct sight of the Shard, and next to the Roman walls - 2000 years old - that surround the Wren churches and 21st century skyscrapers of the City of London, one of the very greatest financial centres on earth

So essentially you are saying, let's meet by the Louvre, next to Golden Gate Bridge, you know, that pub near Cologne Cathedral, just by Wall Street
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?
    You didn't know? I'm surprised. I didn't think it was exactly a secret. Even Wikipedia mentions it. Yes, when he was younger he was quite active on the gay scene.

Stupid question, maybe: Didn’t it cause issues for him politically?

He was heir apparent for a long time in an era when homosexuality was not just illegal but increasingly the focus of police attention.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,999

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

If BoZo gets 22'd tonight does that mean his amendment tomorrow is invalid?

He won’t, but why would it if he does? He’d still be an MP
    I think this is a big moment for the conservative party with Boris siding with the new red wall mps to the annoyance of the dinosaurs

On this I wish Boris well and hope the party can find it in themselves to deselect some of the dinosaurs whose time has gone

I would just comment that I understand that the proposals are not retrospective
    Boris is not siding with the red wall MPs.

Boris has decided he made a mighty fuck-up the other week and now has no choice but to propose this spartan new measure, desperately hoping to draw a line.

Everything we know about Boris tell us that he has had to be dragged kicking and screaming to this point, and I fully expect him to vote in any motion with both of his fingers crossed behind his back.
    'Both'? All ten (and maybe the toes too), is what you mean?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,604

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?

He was heir apparent for a long time in an era when homosexuality was not just illegal but increasingly the focus of police attention.
    One rule for them...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686

Roger said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

RobD said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Another woman, this time a journalist, alleges she was groped by the PM's Dad.

Although this was story brushed off last night, I’m not sure.

1. Complainant 1 is a TORY MP
    2. Without suggesting Boris is guilty of the same (although he has been accused of such by the journalist Charlotte Edwardes), the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree here, does it?
    I was wondering how long it would be until we had the old sins of one’s father.
    Normally I would agree, but it seems appropriate to draw comparisons between the seemingly feckless, solipsistic and gauche Tory gaffer, and his son Boris.
    Not really. It’s just a smear.
    A “smear” by a serving Tory MP against her party leader’s father.
    No, it's a smear by you against the PM.
    The PM is more than capable of smearing himself.
    You don’t see that what you said is a smear? You were giving him the old “nudge nudge wink wink” treatment, implying he must be a sex pest because his father (allegedly) is.
    Boris is widely understood to have the sexual ethics of an alleycat, and what what little I know of his father’s biography, it seems to run in the family.

Both Stanley and Boris have been accused of inappropriate groping, and Stanley’s accuser is highly credible. I do not know enough about Boris’s accuser to form a view.

All I mean to say is that when Stanley is accused of groping, it reminds me again of Boris’s own sleaziness, regardless of whether he is also a groper.

There you go again with the claim. Keep digging.
    How can you possibly think that two female Tory MP's accusing the Prime Minister's father of groping them is an inappropriate conversation for a site that is set up to discuss Party politics? It's only just short of being worthy of a sit-com!
    I know Caroline Nokes has alleged inappropriate behaviour but who is the other conservative mp
    Roger’s slightly wrong.

The other Stanley accuser is Ailbhe Rea, political correspondent at the New Statesman. Who is less credible maybe just on account of who she writes for?

Boris’s accuser was Charlotte Edwardes, who writes for the Times.

Michael Fallon and Damian Green were brought down by similar allegations.
    Hmm, I wouldn't be so quick to discredit any accuser based on where they work or their politics. It needs to be investigated properly.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,999

eek said:

Ah that's why we've stopped receiving the live commentary from Sky News.

I understand:
    ** There were suggestions that the Tories would try and vote on this lobbying ban as soon as tomorrow
    ** There is a huge backlash, 1922 involved, over breadth of what's being proposed. (What is "reasonable")
    ** No decision available yet over what happens tomorrow

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1460663310051856385

Stare them down Boris

Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky
    ·
    3m
    The government WILL put forward a motion tomorrow.

This will apparently mirror the language of the PM's letter - and so apparently toughen up Labour proposal

We await the exact working of the motion...
    Good
    But hasn’t he got to first get through the rest of today and tomorrow without being carried up by his own MPs and bounced out the front door of Parliament?

That would be brilliant at starting a new traditional procedure thing for how to change Prime Ministers 🥾
    That is not going to happen much as some opposition supporters would like
    I agree with you all afternoon, it’s important to wrong foot opposition, especially Labour, and get nice newspaper headlines tomorrow - but not at expense of your own party disappearing down a big hole in the future though.

Don’t you agree with the MPs, on something like this you can’t have a back of an envelope by panicking Prime Minster proposal just rushed through so quickly?

The shape of the law, how and by whom it’s policed and punished are probably very nuanced thoughts - the very same questions to solve that kicked all this off in the first place.
    It is politics and if it upsets the old school conservative dinosaurs then even better, time has left then behind
    I wonder, politely, if you might perhaps see your way to no longer being unwittingly disrespectful to the poor dinosaurs (the ones with scales and, sometimes, feathers).
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,947
    Leon said:

I think we take for granted what that means. Next to a World Heritage Site, the extraordinary ensemble that is the Tower of London, from the exquisite St Peter ad Vincula, to the deathplace of Anne Boleyn, to the Crown Jewels and Traitor's Gate.

But also right underneath Tower Bridge, surely the most iconic bridge on earth, and in direct sight of the Shard, and next to the Roman walls - 2000 years old - that surround the Wren churches and 21st century skyscrapers of the City of London, one of the very greatest financial centres on earth

So essentially you are saying, let's meet by the Louvre, next to Golden Gate Bridge, you know, that pub near Cologne Cathedral, just by Wall Street

I've no fondness for the Shard. I'd so love it if the City of London came back to life. My first visit was to interview for a job at Ackroyd and Smithers. There were just two candidates, and I spent basically all day with one of their senior partners - a Mr Carpenter. He was positively saluted as we navigated our way across the exchange floor etc.

I didn't get the job, but I got perhaps a better one shortly after, and that corner of the city, and particularly the exchange floor will always have a bit of magic to me - in my memories only of course. (Similarly the Royal Exchange)
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,968
    Leon said:

I think we take for granted what that means. Next to a World Heritage Site, the extraordinary historic ensemble that is the Tower of London, from the exquisite St Peter ad Vincula, to the deathplace of Anne Boleyn, to the Crown Jewels and Traitor's Gate.

LONDON IS, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, BACK
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,331
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

I think we take for granted what that means. Next to a World Heritage Site, the extraordinary ensemble that is the Tower of London, from the exquisite St Peter ad Vincula, to the deathplace of Anne Boleyn, to the Crown Jewels and Traitor's Gate.

I've no fondness for the Shard. I'd so love it if the City of London came back to life. My first visit was to interview for a job at Ackroyd and Smithers. There were just two candidates, and I spent basically all day with one of their senior partners - a Mr Carpenter. He was positively saluted as we navigated our way across the exchange floor etc.

I didn't get the job, but I got perhaps a better one shortly after, and that corner of the city, and particularly the exchange floor will always have a bit of magic to me - in my memories only of course. (Similarly the Royal Exchange)
    The Shard is magnificent

A silvery obelisk raised in maybe 8,000BC, at the end of the Ice Age, with its tip broken by the glaciers

I like to imagine that London then grew around it, this mysterious icon of a greater, older civilisation
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Went into a Waterstones today (the one on Piccadilly, in case anyone was wondering) it's without a doubt the highest incidence of mask wearing I've seen in months. Middle class Britain still, by and large, wears masks indoors.

The other people seemed slightly scandalised to see someone (me) without one on, glad I could give them stories for the evening about young people/Asians/bloody p***s.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,905

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK PB, a dilemma

A good friend has invited me to a gig by Seth Lakeman tonight, at the Union Chapel, Islington. That's one of my favourite musicians in one of my favourite venues. I've never seen him live. And I could do with a gig

And yet, I'm 5 and a half months post 2nd jab. 2 weeks from my booster. Worth the risk?

Of course it is, jesus.

Yours sincerely, frequent maskless tube rider, 4.5 months post 2nd jab.
    I'm tending towards YES

It's weird. Until I got my booster booked I was behaving absolutely normally - going to pubs, restaurants, bars. Travelling all over

Now suddenly my 95% immunity jab is just ten days away, I am nervous again
    I don’t know Seth Lakeman. Is the crowd likely to be very anti-vaxy?
    About one in sixty of them are likely to have Covid, that's the current prevalence rate I think.
    Less I’d say as that is skewed by the U18’s.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

The city felt pre-pandemic today. Out for lunch we had to wait for a table for 20 mins which hasn't happened for ages.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?

When I was a government lawyer one of the Ministers in the department where I worked was the 2nd Earl of Avon. Quite obnoxious. I had to advise him a a planning decision he had taken was ultra vires and likely to be overturned in court.

He did not like that one bit. So I told him he had to take the decision again, taking into account X, Y and Z not A, B and C.

He did so. Amazingly enough the decision turned out to be the same.

• Options
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The Shard is magnificent

A silvery obelisk raised in maybe 8,000BC, at the end of the Ice Age, with its tip broken by the glaciers

I like to imagine that London then grew around it, this mysterious icon of a greater, older civilisation
    I think for me it's just a bit too tall. I think it just scares me a little. However I'm a huge fan of space elevators and the like. Just not probably a participant.

Maybe I just don't like it because it's in South London! Who knows.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,423
    How sad that another casualty of Brexit are the cultural exchanges by way of school trips .

It’s as if this cesspit government wants nothing to do with its European neighbours . The search party is still trying to find one benefit of Brexit !
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?

No. It was clearly known about in high society, but it was winked at - like with, say, Earl Beauchamp for most of his life - and in any case, was as far as is known mostly before he entered politics. And as you have just demonstrated, it's not what most people think of about him even today.

Ironic of course in light of that that, as you say, there was increasing persecution of the gay community on the watch of David Maxwell Fyfe as Home Secretary in the early 1950s when Eden was deputy Prime Minister.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,979
    edited November 2021
    nico679 said:

How sad that another casualty of Brexit are the cultural exchanges by way of school trips .

It’s as if this cesspit government wants nothing to do with its European neighbours . The search party is still trying to find one benefit of Brexit !

You clearly missed the post about my non-appearing Swiss speeding fine.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The city felt pre-pandemic today. Out for lunch we had to wait for a table for 20 mins which hasn't happened for ages.
    I guess you having to wait makes me happy :) Sorry.

Of course even pre-pandemic the City had issues. I just love the place.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MaxPB said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I guess you having to wait makes me happy :) Sorry.

Of course even pre-pandemic the City had issues. I just love the place.
    We just sat at the bar and had a pint, again it felt very pre-pandemic.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?

When I was a government lawyer one of the Ministers in the department where I worked was the 2nd Earl of Avon. Quite obnoxious. I had to advise him a a planning decision he had taken was ultra vires and likely to be overturned in court.

He did not like that one bit. So I told him he had to take the decision again, taking into account X, Y and Z not A, B and C.

I know very little about him except that his father was Eden, his brother was killed in the war and that he was an undistinguished minister who died of AIDS - I think while in office.

Sounds as though he wasn't up to much. Riding on his father's coat tails, perhaps?
  • Options

Wow. Absolute fecking WOW.

Prince Andrew had a £1.5 million loan from a secretive Luxembourg bank paid off by one of the Conservative Party’s biggest donors while he was a working member of the royal family, it was claimed today.

David Rowland settled the debt at Banque Havilland SA, which his family controls, after banking regulators began an unconnected money laundering review involving “politically exposed people”, the Bloomberg financial news agency reported.

The Duke of York opened an account at the private bank in 2015 and borrowed an average of £125,000 every three months. The loan was extended or increased ten times before the duke requested a further £250,000 for “general working capital and living expenses” in November 2017.

The loan was unsecured and Banque Havilland staff recorded that the loan was “not in line with the risk appetite of the bank”, an internal credit application showed.

The growing debt was approved because it opened up “further business potential with the royal family” and would be honoured by the Queen.

A document seen by Bloomberg records: “While the (increased) loan is unsecured and granted solely against the credibility of the applicant, both his position and that his mother is the sovereign monarch of the United Kingdom should provide access to funds for repayment if need be.”

Eleven days after the final extension, the entire £1.5 million loan was paid off by a Guernsey-registered company controlled by the Rowland family with a payment to the bank’s London branch in December 2017.

Earlier that year Luxembourg bank regulators opened an investigation into Banque Havilland SA which led to a £4 million fine, one of the largest to date.

Andrew, then the government’s special representative for international trade and investment, opened the first branch of Banque Havilland in Luxembourg in 2009. Three years later he opened the bank’s branch in Monaco.

A year after Rowland paid off his loan the duke appeared at the opening ceremony for Banque Havilland’s joint venture with the Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund.

Buckingham Palace’s code of conduct says members of the royal family should not accept a gift which “would, or might appear to, place [them] under any obligation to the donor”.

Gifts offered by commercial enterprises in the UK “should normally be declined”, it states. The rules say they “should never accept gifts of money, or money equivalent, in connection with an official engagement or duty”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-donor-repaid-prince-andrews-1-5m-loan-w7rmljc87

There's so much more I want to say about this story but given my day job I cannot.

"we are not a corrupt country".
  • Options
    The official student wing of the SNP is backing calls from the party's LGTBQ+ branch to have the whip withdrawn from Joanna Cherry following her comments on conversion therapy.

https://twitter.com/MrMcEnaney/status/1460681996892528645?s=20
  • Options
    Where does Kevin come from? And will it replace BAME?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The Shard is magnificent

I think for me it's just a bit too tall. I think it just scares me a little. However I'm a huge fan of space elevators and the like. Just not probably a participant.

The last acceptable form of prejudice.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,916

Roger said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

RobD said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

2. Without suggesting Boris is guilty of the same (although he has been accused of such by the journalist Charlotte Edwardes), the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree here, does it?
    Normally I would agree, but it seems appropriate to draw comparisons between the seemingly feckless, solipsistic and gauche Tory gaffer, and his son Boris.
    You don’t see that what you said is a smear? You were giving him the old “nudge nudge wink wink” treatment, implying he must be a sex pest because his father (allegedly) is.
    Boris is widely understood to have the sexual ethics of an alleycat, and what what little I know of his father’s biography, it seems to run in the family.

Both Stanley and Boris have been accused of inappropriate groping, and Stanley’s accuser is highly credible. I do not know enough about Boris’s accuser to form a view.

All I mean to say is that when Stanley is accused of groping, it reminds me again of Boris’s own sleaziness, regardless of whether he is also a groper.

There you go again with the claim. Keep digging.
    How can you possibly think that two female Tory MP's accusing the Prime Minister's father of groping them is an inappropriate conversation for a site that is set up to discuss Party politics? It's only just short of being worthy of a sit-com!
    I know Caroline Nokes has alleged inappropriate behaviour but who is the other conservative mp
    Roger’s slightly wrong.

The other Stanley accuser is Ailbhe Rea, political correspondent at the New Statesman. Who is less credible maybe just on account of who she writes for?

Boris’s accuser was Charlotte Edwardes, who writes for the Times.

Michael Fallon and Damian Green were brought down by similar allegations.
    The Caroline Nokes allegation dates from 2003. Ailbhe Rea alleges that Stanley Johnson groped her at the Tory Party Conference in 2019. When he was 79 years-old. Dirty old man? Nothing to do with his son, but Stanley is a public figure misbehaving at a party conference. I can't imagine Ailbhe Rea making it up.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,884
    Leon said:

Will we be seeing Leon and Sean in the same room?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,449

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The Shard is magnificent

A lot of things seem to be labelled as the last acceptable form of prejudice. Maybe we still have quite a few of them?
  • Options
    edited November 2021

The official student wing of the SNP is backing calls from the party's LGTBQ+ branch to have the whip withdrawn from Joanna Cherry following her comments on conversion therapy.

Perhaps this is the last acceptable prejudice, but for me 'student wing' is up there with other two word preceding phrases that just make me inherently suspicious or undermine by their very nature.

See also 'party activist'.
  • Options
    Not been to a PB gathering before but as one of the few 'Out of the closet' PBers using my own name I will do my very best to come along and prove that - for better or worse - I really am real. :)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,916
    kle4 said:

Perhaps this is the last acceptable prejudice, but for me 'student wing' is up there with other two word preceding phrases that just make me inherently suspicious or undermine by their very nature.

See also 'party activist'.
    And anyway, any 'student wing' worth its salt would be Unofficial, not Official.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK PB, a dilemma

Of course it is, jesus.

I'm tending towards YES

It's weird. Until I got my booster booked I was behaving absolutely normally - going to pubs, restaurants, bars. Travelling all over

About one in sixty of them are likely to have Covid, that's the current prevalence rate I think.
    Actually I forgot that most of them (like me) will be self-isolating.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,905

Leon said:

Leon said:

OK PB, a dilemma

Of course it is, jesus.

I'm tending towards YES

Actually I forgot that most of them (like me) will be self-isolating.
    Ideally yes, but I’m sure a fair few aren’t...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,191
    I will try to come along. A mere few days before my 30th birthday!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Went into a Waterstones today (the one on Piccadilly, in case anyone was wondering) it's without a doubt the highest incidence of mask wearing I've seen in months. Middle class Britain still, by and large, wears masks indoors.

The other people seemed slightly scandalised to see someone (me) without one on, glad I could give them stories for the evening about young people/Asians/bloody p***s.

Interestingly there was very little incidence of mask wearing even in Waterstones when I visited the branch in the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago.

Amusing that the Piccadilly one would be so different.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,469
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I didn't know he was.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,918

MaxPB said:

Interestingly there was very little incidence of mask wearing even in Waterstones when I visited the branch in the Trafford Centre a few weeks ago.

Very little mask-wearing in the Trafford Centre full stop.
    Slightly odd demographic, Waterstone's in the Trafford Centre. Ordinarily the Trafford Centre is the sort of place the Waterstone's demographic avoids.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,120
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Eden also had plenty of women lovers as well as his wives, more correct to say he was bisexual. Indeed a number of our PMs, particularly those who went to public school, are rumoured to have at least dabbled in their younger days.

However the likeliest fully homosexual PM was not Eden but Heath, although he was likely closeted
  • Options

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

The Shard is magnificent

A shocking suggestion. I pride myself on my discernment rather than prejudice.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,859
    I would come, but alas I fear the poor transport links from the North will prevent it :disappointed:
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,465
    dixiedean said:

It's the anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, which is unusual in being the diminutive form of a female name, in this case Caoimhe, which is given various meanings along the lines of "gentle, beautiful, precious".

I suspect that it's use as an insult has a similar root to the use of Karen, as applied to a woman perceived as being especially difficult, in that it's seen as being a now unfashionable name that was once much more common.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I don't think the government typically organises school exchange trips. Normally it's done at a more local level.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

Very little mask-wearing in the Trafford Centre full stop.
    Slightly odd demographic, Waterstone's in the Trafford Centre. Ordinarily the Trafford Centre is the sort of place the Waterstone's demographic avoids.
    Yes there was next-to-zero mask wearing in Trafford, it was great. :)
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,859
    Selebian said:

I would come, but alas I fear the poor transport links from the North will prevent it :disappointed:

Also, it would blow my cover as a 30-something, northern, educated epidemiologist and out me as an overweight, money-grabbing sleazy southern MP. And we wouldn't want that :smile:
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Depends how much you drink.
    Drink some Absinthe and you might even get to see LadyG.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Hope you all have fun and have a good turnout :smile:

I've got a 5 quid Paddy Power shop voucher to use (from saturdays Daily Star)

I don't have my free bus travel card yet so I need a horsey to bet on tomorrow.

Any help Team PB?

Okay - are you doing the research now?
    Yes. I hadn’t looked at it yet today, still catching up on sleep from weekend this afternoon.
    Winter race day at Hexham and the weather is dry. The fastest horse will win.
    3pm HEART OF KERNOW
    Ace! Thanks for your speedy reply :)
    ---- Blockquotes not right, but the start of my comment. Omnium.

If the thing you want is to take the free money and realise it then betting on MoonRabbit's tip is probably a good idea. I would have suggested finding a well traded football match priced around evens and backing a random side.

In doing so you'd be turning your £5 voucher into a little bit less in terms expectaion of real money.

MoonRabbit's tip (so far as current pricing) will most likely lose, but if it wins then you'll have multiplied your stake.

Your main consideration in all of this is why PP are giving you £5. The answer is that they think you're a mug - not just you, anyone that they don't know.

So don't be a mug.

Jade bit >
    You are absolutely right, money back in form of a free bet is not the same as money back.

I think it works the same as reward points at shops, because you feel you are getting something for free you are not shopping around? Does that make sense.

By the same logic, if you don’t want to shop around, it is free? The people deliver my wine boxes, I get tokens I save up and get a free box of wine. Is that not a free box of wine?
    Briskin:
    If my bet comes of I'll be paid in cash

A better way to do it than a well-traded football match at evens is to find a well-traded event with only two outcomes (tennis is good) where one outcome is much longer odds than the other, use the free bet to bet on the long shot and find the best odds elsewhere to trade it against. You can probably make a £5 free bet into about £4.50 of actual money this way.

I have written a spreadsheet you cut and paste the odds from oddschecker to find the best outcome for this - though this is a lot of effort to go through for a free £4.50 rather than a free £4, say.
  • Options

I will try to come along. A mere few days before my 30th birthday!

How you'll regret that wisdom that'll be yours but for the few days. When like me you're in your 50s the whole level up thing is amazing... :)

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

kjh said:

Leon said:

Possibly even Byronic and Eadric too.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

All she has said is, it should not be a crime for a therapist to try to help a gender dysphoric person be comfortable with not changing sex. That apparently is tantamount to conversion therapy.

The "transphobic" are like the Beast in Lord of the Flies.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,501

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

RobD said:

RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Why explain when better not to comment in the first place
    You Tory fan boys don't like to hear the truth about your hero
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Also, it would blow my cover as a 30-something, northern, educated epidemiologist and out me as an overweight, money-grabbing sleazy southern MP. And we wouldn't want that :smile:
    How many money-grubbing sleazy southern Lib Dem MPs are there? That can't be a big pool to figure out your alternate identity.

First guess from that description (not sure about overweight) would be Layla Moran, but you have way too much sense to be her.

Going to have to guess you are Ed Davey and claim five pairs of sandals.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

I only see LadyG in my Covid fever-dreams.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

some day you will be an adult
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Maybe, though you'll always be a ****.
  • Options

Sturgeon crapping herself has set the dogs loose. She obviously wants out and needs to have a clear field for Macbeth and his wife. They need Cherry nobbled for that.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,885
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

One of the better put downs I’ve seen on here. That gets the Douglas Seal of approval.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

I only see LadyG in my Covid fever-dreams.
    Lucky man
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You really are a nasty little pipsqueak , insecure runt to be pitied.
    PS: don't even have the bollox to print your insult, ask your wife how you spell it loser.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,584

kjh said:

Leon said:

https://youtu.be/7pRbTBy9spU?t=147
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

PS: don't even have the bollox to print your insult, ask your wife how you spell it loser.
    Ah! L'esprit de l'escalier.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Eden also had plenty of women lovers as well as his wives, more correct to say he was bisexual. Indeed a number of our PMs, particularly those who went to public school, are rumoured to have at least dabbled in their younger days.

However the likeliest fully homosexual PM was not Eden but Heath, although he was likely closeted
    I think you misunderstood the significance of the word 'known.'
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

One of the better put downs I’ve seen on here. That gets the Douglas Seal of approval.
    LOL, jessie boy joins in , dumb and dumber what a team of pansies, has me shaking in my boots. Old Doug swinging his handbag I bet at his toughness. What a pair of losers.
  • Options
    I've put it in the diary. Lets see if I can find an excuse to be in that London on business.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

LOL, jessie boy joins in , dumb and dumber what a team of pansies, has me shaking in my boots. Old Doug swinging his handbag I bet at his toughness. What a pair of losers.
    I was complementing Max’s retort. I didn’t have anything to say about you at all. Still, any excuse for a bit of light homophobia, eh?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

William Pitt the Elder, when he was young, having been taunted about his youth, responded thusly:

'For the crime of being a young man, which the honourable member has with such spirit and decency charged me, I shall attempt neither to palliate nor deny. I shall content myself with saying I trust I shall be numbered among those whose follies cease with their youth, and not among those who are ignorant in spite of experience.'

But yours was shorter.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You were born a Brit and you'll die a Brit. That gives me so much warmth inside, Malc, just to imagine your procession having a Union Flag in it and singing the national anthem of the UK.
  • Options
    Good old Malc with his cheery bonhomie coming on here raising the tone
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Back to your knitting fcukwit
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

I was complementing Max’s retort. I didn’t have anything to say about you at all. Still, any excuse for a bit of light homophobia, eh?
    Losers retort, man up and keep your big fat nose out of other people's business.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

William Pitt the Elder, when he was young, having been taunted about his youth, responded thusly:

'For the crime of being a young man, which the honourable member has with such spirit and decency charged me, I shall attempt neither to palliate nor deny. I shall content myself with saying I trust I shall be numbered among those whose follies cease with their youth, and not among those who are ignorant in spite of experience.'

But yours was shorter.
    Well, it was a different time. Even put downs had to be long winded then.

I feel like I'd have fitted in better then in that respect.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You were born a Brit and you'll die a Brit. That gives me so much warmth inside, Malc, just to imagine your procession having a Union Flag in it and singing the national anthem of the UK.
    Dream on , no pastiche imagined nationalities for me. Britain is an island not a country as you should know.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,191
    This craic is lifting
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You’re a one man equivalent of a debate between Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker. Can’t wait for the Netflix special
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

DougSeal said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You’re a one man equivalent of a debate between Oscar Wilde and Dorothy Parker. Can’t wait for the Netflix special
    It will be a belter
  • Options
    Is it just my imagination or does the latest iteration of Twitter have a shitload more adverts and those crappy meme accounts, eg 20 Holywood wardrobe malfunctions you must see etc?
  • Options

Is it just my imagination or does the latest iteration of Twitter have a shitload more adverts and those crappy meme accounts, eg 20 Holywood wardrobe malfunctions you must see etc?

I’d noticed that. One of the reasons I left - that and picking embarrassing fights with strangers for no reason whenever I’d had a bad day at work.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,056
    DougSeal said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

I was taken aback. I've never witnessed Max using profanity like that before.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,889

It’s definitely 1 advert every 4 tweets which is way more than before
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,501
    I see that Inmarsat is being bought by a Californian company.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Dream on , no pastiche imagined nationalities for me. Britain is an island not a country as you should know.
    Down the road - maybe a long way (hundreds of years), I think it's likely that our islands will speak with one voice.

That voice may well be just us, or it may be a bigger thing. The EU+, or maybe some sort of commonwealth thing. I am sure though that destinty will tie us together, and that ire (perhaps justifiable) aside we're probably better off looking towards that future.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,501
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

What?

Do you have a view on Mr Shapps ? :smiley:
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Having just returned after a bit of tea I am drawn to the fairly inescapable conclusion that Malc is not likely to join us for the PB meeting in February. Not that I would in any way be sorry to see him there but he doesn't strike me as being the sociable type based on this evenings evidence.
  • Options

Get a decent adblocker TUD, I don't get adverts
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You can't leave Malcolm, we won't let you. If you do leave the rest of us are lumbered with JohnsonIan Governments ad infinitum.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,087

DougSeal said:

Having just returned after a bit of tea I am drawn to the fairly inescapable conclusion that Malc is not likely to join us for the PB meeting in February. Not that I would in any way be sorry to see him there but he doesn't strike me as being the sociable type based on this evenings evidence.
    Takes two to tango. Max is no angel either.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

More bollox making suppositions. If it was somewhere nearer I would of course attend. Given where we are I would not go to London for a pension.
    I would be the life and soul of the party for the humans in attendance. Morons perhaps not so much but doubt Max would attend and make a cod of himself in person anyway, bad enough doing it on the web.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,483
    Really strange to see football behind closed doors again (Netherlands v Norway).
  • Options
    edited November 2021

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

You can't leave Malcolm, we won't let you. If you do leave the rest of us are lumbered with JohnsonIan Governments ad infinitum.
    Unfortunately we have a lot of snowflakes to get over before that happy day.
    PS: much as I am having fun I must go and have supper and a nice glass of red.
  • Options
    eek said:

It’s definitely 1 advert every 4 tweets which is way more than before
    I get none.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Unfortunately we have a lot of snowflakes to get over before that happy day.
    Fortunately we have Mr and Mrs Murrells in our camp to draw the process out much farther down the road than you might like.
  • Options
    Do golf courses have sandpits? I've only experienced bunkers.

Hear only two thirds of the fabled “109” Tory 2019 intake made the No10 drinks laid on for their buttering up - and another dozen left before the PM’s speech.

Hoarse PM went big on small boats and made a semi apology for “driving the golf ball into the sandpit” on sleaze disaster

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1460708056782749705
  • Options

Do golf courses have sandpits? I've only experienced bunkers.

Hear only two thirds of the fabled “109” Tory 2019 intake made the No10 drinks laid on for their buttering up - and another dozen left before the PM’s speech.

Hoarse PM went big on small boats and made a semi apology for “driving the golf ball into the sandpit” on sleaze disaster

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1460708056782749705

Is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,705
    edited November 2021

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Some might think that having voted for him, the lesson should be learned by those voters unto the bitter end.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

dixiedean said:

It's the anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, which is unusual in being the diminutive form of a female name, in this case Caoimhe, which is given various meanings along the lines of "gentle, beautiful, precious".

I suspect that it's use as an insult has a similar root to the use of Karen, as applied to a woman perceived as being especially difficult, in that it's seen as being a now unfashionable name that was once much more common.
    I know.
    I will declare an interest as an IRL Kevin. I just don't know WHY it was used as a catch all term for non-white at YCC? Never heard it in that context before. And it is a very "white" name.
    Am also married to a Karen. Who is the least Karen person in the world.
    Which dates us.
This discussion has been closed.