Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Date for your diary: PB Gathering – Feb 3rd 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Well that's English & Welsh cricket fucked.

Nadine Dorries will be in charge.

Exclusive: The government is warning English cricket’s governing body that unless it leads by example in rooting out racism within the sport, it will be forced to step in and take over.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/government-warns-it-will-be-forced-to-step-in-if-english-cricket-doesnt-do-enough-to-root-out-racism
  • ydoethur said:

Do golf courses have sandpits? I've only experienced bunkers.

Hear only two thirds of the fabled “109” Tory 2019 intake made the No10 drinks laid on for their buttering up - and another dozen left before the PM’s speech.

Hoarse PM went big on small boats and made a semi apology for “driving the golf ball into the sandpit” on sleaze disaster

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1460708056782749705

Is that a euphemism?
    It is now.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,153

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Went into a Waterstones today (the one on Piccadilly, in case anyone was wondering) it's without a doubt the highest incidence of mask wearing I've seen in months. Middle class Britain still, by and large, wears masks indoors.

The other people seemed slightly scandalised to see someone (me) without one on, glad I could give them stories for the evening about young people/Asians/bloody p***s.

some day you will be an adult
    Maybe, though you'll always be a ****.
    You really are a nasty little pipsqueak , insecure runt to be pitied.
    PS: don't even have the bollox to print your insult, ask your wife how you spell it loser.
    You were born a Brit and you'll die a Brit. That gives me so much warmth inside, Malc, just to imagine your procession having a Union Flag in it and singing the national anthem of the UK.
    Dream on , no pastiche imagined nationalities for me. Britain is an island not a country as you should know.
    You can't leave Malcolm, we won't let you. If you do leave the rest of us are lumbered with JohnsonIan Governments ad infinitum.
    Some might think that having voted for him, the lesson should be learned by those voters unto the bitter end.
    Quite. Reminds me of the (mostly) English Labour Party telling the Scots it was our duty to vote for governments we didn't want so the English didn't get the governments they wanted.

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    malcolmg said:

eek said:

Is it just my imagination or does the latest iteration of Twitter have a shitload more adverts and those crappy meme accounts, eg 20 Holywood wardrobe malfunctions you must see etc?

It’s definitely 1 advert every 4 tweets which is way more than before
    I get none.
    Will you be at PBGather26? I'd like to meet you if you can attend.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768

Well that's English & Welsh cricket fucked.

Exclusive: The government is warning English cricket’s governing body that unless it leads by example in rooting out racism within the sport, it will be forced to step in and take over.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/government-warns-it-will-be-forced-to-step-in-if-english-cricket-doesnt-do-enough-to-root-out-racism

I was thinking this crisis couldn't get worse.

Never make assumptions...

It's going to get walloped with Clicky Ba.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Interesting campaign position in France: Jean-Luc Mélenchon is promising to dissolve the 5th republic and create a new constitution with a weaker presidency.
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

In that case won’t they be banned from the international game due to politics interfering with sport. Happened to Zim.
  • Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Went into a Waterstones today (the one on Piccadilly, in case anyone was wondering) it's without a doubt the highest incidence of mask wearing I've seen in months. Middle class Britain still, by and large, wears masks indoors.

The other people seemed slightly scandalised to see someone (me) without one on, glad I could give them stories for the evening about young people/Asians/bloody p***s.

PS: don't even have the bollox to print your insult, ask your wife how you spell it loser.
    You were born a Brit and you'll die a Brit. That gives me so much warmth inside, Malc, just to imagine your procession having a Union Flag in it and singing the national anthem of the UK.
    Dream on , no pastiche imagined nationalities for me. Britain is an island not a country as you should know.
    You can't leave Malcolm, we won't let you. If you do leave the rest of us are lumbered with JohnsonIan Governments ad infinitum.
    Some might think that having voted for him, the lesson should be learned by those voters unto the bitter end.
    Quite. Reminds me of the (mostly) English Labour Party telling the Scots it was our duty to vote for governments we didn't want so the English didn't get the governments they wanted.

Do you think if we started bleating about how the English should vote the Tories out to make Scots feel better about the Union that we'd get a sympathetic hearing?
  • ydoethur said:

I'm feeling quite depressed.

Today made me doubt my love for cricket, losing 5 nil in The Ashes (twice), being an England cricket fan in the 90s, and being shit at ODI cricket for 23 years, didn't break me, but today did.

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Do you think if we started bleating about how the English should vote the Tories out to make Scots feel better about the Union that we'd get a sympathetic hearing?
    *blinks in surprise at the very notion*
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

ydoethur said:

Today made me doubt my love for cricket, losing 5 nil in The Ashes (twice), being an England cricket fan in the 90s, and being shit at ODI cricket for 23 years, didn't break me, but today did.
    The Punishment beating the ECB gave Durham nearly did for me and I’ve been watching since the 74 home series. Today was a disgrace. The ECB are not fit for purpose.
    edited November 2021

Hear only two thirds of the fabled “109” Tory 2019 intake made the No10 drinks laid on for their buttering up - and another dozen left before the PM’s speech.

Hoarse PM went big on small boats and made a semi apology for “driving the golf ball into the sandpit” on sleaze disaster

It's only the small children who think bunkers are sandpits, and use them as playgrounds, in my experience of Scottish coastal links (the bunkers being very tempting when high tide is in). Very unpopular with everyone else.

ydoethur said:

I rather hope that Afghanistan will be the shining light. They're very good at cricket, let's hope that they get the elbow room to show that.

Real enthusiatic cricket is such a great thing. (UK issues in the news aside)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Among some, no doubt.
  • ydoethur said:

Rafiq made a pretty powerful witness in the bits I saw.

It's not really my thing so excuse the nosiness, but did all this come as a bit of a shock or was it something you suspected but hoped wasn't the case (or that bad at least)?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

A politician might help in the spin department.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Where does Kevin come from? And will it replace BAME?

It's the anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, which is unusual in being the diminutive form of a female name, in this case Caoimhe, which is given various meanings along the lines of "gentle, beautiful, precious".

I suspect that it's use as an insult has a similar root to the use of Karen, as applied to a woman perceived as being especially difficult, in that it's seen as being a now unfashionable name that was once much more common.
    I know.
    I will declare an interest as an IRL Kevin. I just don't know WHY it was used as a catch all term for non-white at YCC? Never heard it in that context before. And it is a very "white" name.
    Am also married to a Karen. Who is the least Karen person in the world.
    Which dates us.
    So not Burmese then?

ydoethur said:

It's not really my thing so excuse the nosiness, but did all this come as a bit of a shock or was it something you suspected but hoped wasn't the case (or that bad at least)?
    In my view he's just seeking a paycheck. However what he's saying is right and the behaviour was wrong.
    edited November 2021
    dixiedean said:

A politician might help in the spin department.
    I actually think sport is probably better at spinning than politics. We expect it of the latter so are more wise to it.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

It's only the small children who think bunkers are sandpits, and use them as playgrounds, in my experience of Scottish coastal links (the bunkers being very tempting when high tide is in). Very unpopular with everyone else.
    Of bunkers, it was once said 'golfers are frequently heard referring to them by a wide variety of incorrect names.'
  • ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Of bunkers, it was once said 'golfers are frequently heard referring to them by a wide variety of incorrect names.'
    Somebody has pointed out to me that politicians avoid using the word 'bunker' as it has negative connotations.
  • ydoethur said:

DavidL and I have mentioned on here that the Headingley crowd can be quite raucous and occasionally cross the line but today came as a galloping shock as I thought that nasty element was limited to the Western Terrace mob, it is something I've never seen or heard at any other ground.

I never expected this to happen in the dressing room.

Since I was born I've lived in a very white English environment and I can confirm no one has tried to force alcohol down my neck nor have any of my friends or colleagues every called me or used the word Paki in my presence or gone for banter down that route.

So yes today was quite the shock.
    Well, ditto to Carnyx's commiserations button then.

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Somebody has pointed out to me that politicians avoid using the word 'bunker' as it has negative connotations.
    That shows a remarkable level of sensitivity and attention to detail. But 'sandpit' still sounds childish to anyone who's at all familiar with golf, and I haven't played since a couple of trial rounds when I was 16.
  • Last PB gathering was at the Lord Raglan (near St Paul's Cathedral) on 26th May 2017!
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Looks like the compromise will be that those MP’s with existing jobs can keep them but no new ones starting next Parliment. Same compromise that was achieved with hiring spouses.
    https://twitter.com/TBorwick/status/1460689442944004103
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Interesting campaign position in France: Jean-Luc Mélenchon is promising to dissolve the 5th republic and create a new constitution with a weaker presidency.

He’s got some Gaul
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

I’ve heard them called sand traps in America
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

ydoethur said:

You are in the position the Victorians were in when dealing with Georgian cricket - it was insanely corrupt and needed a thorough clearing out.

Stiffen your upper lip and have at 'em
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,713

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

No but if you started campaigning for an English parliament in the event of a UK Labour government England did not vote for with the same powers as the Scottish parliament has if there is a UK Tory government Scotland did not vote for you might
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,585
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Anthony Eden's wife just died at 101, she was also Churchill's niece
    https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1460670336362496009?s=20

Spookily, I was actually talking about Eden today - ironically, in the context of his having been our only known gay prime minister.
    What?
    You didn't know? I'm surprised. I didn't think it was exactly a secret. Even Wikipedia mentions it. Yes, when he was younger he was quite active on the gay scene.

Of course, his son the 2nd Earl of Avon was much more open about his sexuality.
    Stupid question, maybe: Didn’t it cause issues for him politically?

He was heir apparent for a long time in an era when homosexuality was not just illegal but increasingly the focus of police attention.
    No. It was clearly known about in high society, but it was winked at - like with, say, Earl Beauchamp for most of his life - and in any case, was as far as is known mostly before he entered politics. And as you have just demonstrated, it's not what most people think of about him even today.

Ironic of course in light of that that, as you say, there was increasing persecution of the gay community on the watch of David Maxwell Fyfe as Home Secretary in the early 1950s when Eden was deputy Prime Minister.
    Not much has changed - still one rule for us, another for them.
  • StonchStonch Posts: 42
    edited November 2021
    Tempted to come to this as Jason Trost, the founder of Smarkets, was a regular (along with his whole team) in my Clerkenwell pub back when they were brand new, and based in that area. It was interesting back then as another big crowd of regulars was Buzzfeed UK, and a smaller but very noticeable group comprised of Harry Cole, Alex Wickham and Paul Staines when they all worked together at Guido. Those were the days.
  • Stonch said:

Tempted to come to this as Jason Trost, the founder of Smarkets, was a regular (along with his whole team) in my Clerkenwell pub back when they were brand new, and based in that area. It was interesting back then as another big crowd of regulars was Buzzfeed UK, and a smaller but very noticeable group comprised of Harry Cole, Alex Wickham and Paul Staines when they all worked together at Guido...

I liked going to the Finborough Arms when you ran it 👍
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

No but if you started campaigning for an English parliament in the event of a UK Labour government England did not vote for with the same powers as the Scottish parliament has if there is a UK Tory government Scotland did not vote for you might
    But we'd be interfering in English politics them and you would be complaining. Or quite a few Tories would.
  • Scott_xP said:

Looks like the compromise will be that those MP’s with existing jobs can keep them but no new ones starting next Parliment. Same compromise that was achieved with hiring spouses.

The St Augustine solution then.

"Lord, give me chastity, but not yet."

That's not going to fly, is it?

ydoethur said:

You are in the position the Victorians were in when dealing with Georgian cricket - it was insanely corrupt and needed a thorough clearing out.

Do share the 'insanely corrupt' info.

I'm not sure Georgian cricket counts for much.

Scott_xP said:

The St Augustine solution then.

"Lord, give me chastity, but not yet."

That's not going to fly, is it?
    Starting next Parliament isn't, no.
    Won't this just provoke a rush to the troughs?
    They won't/can't put the shovels down.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

They are missing a trick by not putting John Major in charge of reforming or at least oversight - he absolutely loves cricket and it will keep him too busy to be criticising Boris…….
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

But we'd be interfering in English politics them and you would be complaining. Or quite a few Tories would.
    Well on current polls the SNP could be Kingmakers. Starmer could need them to become PM in a hung parliament and if that occurred and England still had a Tory majority it would have no parliament of its own for much of its own domestic policy as Scotland does
    Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

Is it just my imagination or does the latest iteration of Twitter have a shitload more adverts and those crappy meme accounts, eg 20 Holywood wardrobe malfunctions you must see etc?

I get none.
    I’m trying to work out if this is genuine or said in a Liam Neeson “I have certain specialist skills” kind of menace….!!!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    Why do Black Lives Matter care about the Rittenhouse case when everyone involved is white?
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

I get none.
    I’m trying to work out if this is genuine or said in a Liam Neeson “I have certain specialist skills” kind of menace….!!!
    I don't know who you are. Malcolm is one of the mainstays of PB. He has opinions that I always want to hear. Perhaps not so loudly mind.

You on the other hand can fuck right off.

I think we're clear.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    France having a bit of a take off day, 19k cases. Whatever effect NPIs are having in the winter is clearly very tiny.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Wales sneak into Pot 1 for the playoffs.
    Omnium said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

I get none.
    I don't know who you are. Malcolm is one of the mainstays of PB. He has opinions that I always want to hear. Perhaps not so loudly mind.

I think we're clear.
    Seriously?! It was a light hearted comment based on the lively banter earlier with MaxPB and Malcolm etc!

I personally would love to meet Malcolm as well as I enjoy his forthright approach. Absolutely no need for that response though.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Stories of £20K gabled on a match, back when that was the price of a *big* country estate... players being pretty openly paid by bookies and taking bets on matches they were in. Players falling ill due to something in their beer....

It's been a while since I read up on this, but English cricket in Georgian times was er..... fun. In a Flashman kind of way...
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588
    edited November 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Why do Black Lives Matter care about the Rittenhouse case when everyone involved is white?

I suppose the big takeaway for BLM is had Rittenhouse been a black teenager wandering the streets of Kenosha armed with an AR15 it would be tantamount to "suicide by cop".
    boulay said:

Omnium said:

boulay said:

Omnium said:

malcolmg said:

eek said:

I get none.

I think we're clear.
    Seriously?! It was a light hearted comment based on the lively banter earlier with MaxPB and Malcolm etc!

I personally would love to meet Malcolm as well as I enjoy his forthright approach. Absolutely no need for that response though.
    Consider the case.
    ydoethur said:

Is that a euphemism?
    No. But we could call them armpits, and have golfers desperately bag piping to get their ball out.

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Stories of £20K gabled on a match, back when that was the price of a *big* country estate... players being pretty openly paid by bookies and taking bets on matches they were in. Players falling ill due to something in their beer....

It's been a while since I read up on this, but English cricket in Georgian times was er..... fun. In a Flashman kind of way...
    Notorious prostitution at the grounds. Violence on and off the field. Drunkenness rife.
    What folk who didn't go to Church did on a Sunday.

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

I quite enjoyed Major's cricket tome. However I'm not sure it covered this - maybe it did, and maybe I've forgotten.

I'd be grateful for any good referneces though.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,226
    Some poignant and possibly self aware foreboding comments today from ER II:

“It is hard to believe that it is over 50 years since Prince Philip and I attended the very first meeting of the General Synod.

"None of us can slow the passage of time, and while we often focus on all that has changed in the intervening years, much remains unchanged, including the Gospel of Christ and his teachings."

ydoethur said:

Is that a euphemism?
    No. But we could call them armpits, and have golfers desperately bag piping to get their ball out.
    Oops. How do I delete it

I’ve drunk too much wine. again.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776

ydoethur said:

DavidL and I have mentioned on here that the Headingley crowd can be quite raucous and occasionally cross the line but today came as a galloping shock as I thought that nasty element was limited to the Western Terrace mob, it is something I've never seen or heard at any other ground.

Since I was born I've lived in a very white English environment and I can confirm no one has tried to force alcohol down my neck nor have any of my friends or colleagues every called me or used the word Paki in my presence or gone for banter down that route.

I must say I was surprised. I thought there might have been the occasional dodgy comment or off-colour joke, but not relentless abuse.
    Does anyone know the COVID situation of Costa Rica? My wife and I want to escape for a bit in January and were thinking of Thailand but it looks like Asia is off the table.
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Well on current polls the SNP could be Kingmakers. Starmer could need them to become PM in a hung parliament and if that occurred and England still had a Tory majority it would have no parliament of its own for much of its own domestic policy as Scotland does
    Except for EVEL. You know - the first thing Mr Cameron did after indyref. So Westminster continues to be the "ENglish" parliament for practical reasons.

So I'm all the more puzzled why Mr Gove is deleting EVEL.

(Not being sarcastic. It's a valid issue that you raise and a valid response that I make.)
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Wednesday’s MATT: #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1460731100947435526/photo/1
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,776
    Andy_JS said:

My impression is that very few Americans care whether Rittenhouse is guilty or innocent. Conservative Americans want him to be acquitted honourably, liberal Americans want him to be locked away for life.

Tha actual facts of the case are irrelevant to each position. Rittenhouse is either a member of one's own tribe, or the opposing tribe.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

I must say I was surprised. I thought there might have been the occasional dodgy comment or off-colour joke, but not relentless abuse.
    I’ve played club cricket for over 30 years and never seen anything like the reports. That said I’ve played mostly in rural wilts/gloucs. We have had a few minority players in that time, and most join in with the over-riding nature of the standard I play, which is mercillous mickey taking of your own team mates. Not for us sledging the opposition. No, far mor3 fun to go after your mates.
    But always because of things they’ve done (dropped catches, golden ducks, being blown backwards by a particularly strong gust of wind in your delivery stride...), not the colour of their skin. I play to generate a thirst for a sociable drink. If someone doesnt drink alcohol so what? I’ll happily drink my pint while they drink a J2O.
    In the current case their is no doubt that some serious issues have been opened up. But I would be wary of the whole ‘institutional racism’ label.
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

Except for EVEL. You know - the first thing Mr Cameron did after indyref. So Westminster continues to be the "ENglish" parliament for practical reasons.

(Not being sarcastic. It's a valid issue that you raise and a valid response that I make.)
    Yes we had EVEL with a Tory government and I hope Mr Gove keeps it.

If the SNP do make Starmer PM though (perhaps in return for a promise for indyref2 and devomax) then EVEL will not last long. Starmer will require the SNP to vote on English laws as the price of getting indyref2 and to keep him in office
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    MaxPB said:

Does anyone know the COVID situation of Costa Rica? My wife and I want to escape for a bit in January and were thinking of Thailand but it looks like Asia is off the table.

Looks a bit unpromising, I'm afraid: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-costa-rica

What about Israel? They seem at least as much on top of it as we are, and should be pretty nice in January.
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

If the SNP do make Starmer PM though (perhaps in return for a promise for indyref2 and devomax) then EVEL will not last long. Starmer will require the SNP to vote on English laws as the price of getting indyref2 and to keep him in office
    I think you are scaremongering. It would be comtrary to SNP practice - indeed, EVEL hit the LD and Labour parties, and the Tories*, far more.

* some of whom recused themselves even before that, anyway
    edited November 2021
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

I think you are scaremongering. It would be comtrary to SNP practice - indeed, EVEL hit the LD and Labour parties, and the Tories*, far more.

The choice Starmer would give the SNP is clear, make me PM and vote on English laws or no devomax and no indyref2.

Given that choice the SNP would abandon the moral high ground quicker than a Lewis Hamilton lap and rush to the lobbies to vote on English laws
  • Starmer: "Be under no illusion, the prime minister has only done this U-turn because his back was against the wall."

So I guess that means that Bozo now has his nose against the wall.

Or, as John Major put it,

“When your back is against the wall, there is only one thing to do, and that is turn around and fight.”

Starmer: "Be under no illusion, the prime minister has only done this U-turn because his back was against the wall."

Keir isn't like Boris. When his back's against the wall, he turns around and fights.

MaxPB said:

Looks a bit unpromising, I'm afraid: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-costa-rica

What about Israel? They seem at least as much on top of it as we are, and should be pretty nice in January.
    We're looking to go for about 3 weeks, we've both got annual leave that we need to book in.
    edited November 2021
    dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Notorious prostitution at the grounds. Violence on and off the field. Drunkenness rife.
    An innocent enough pursuit for Catherine Morland in Austen’s Northanger Abbey.
    … She was fond of all boys’ plays, and greatly preferred cricket not merely to dolls, but to the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird or watering a rose bush.…
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

The choice Starmer would give the SNP is clear, make me PM and vote on English laws or no devomax and no indyref2.

Given that choice the SNP would abandon the moral high ground quicker than a Lewis Hamilton lap and rush to the lobbies to vote on English laws
    It’s not even that

It’s make me PM or the Tories remain in power. Your choice
  • Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

… She was fond of all boys’ plays, and greatly preferred cricket not merely to dolls, but to the more heroic enjoyments of infancy, nursing a dormouse, feeding a canary-bird or watering a rose bush.…
    "nursing a doormouse"

I told you England was (and still is) a land seething with sin!
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

It’s not even that

Without the carrot of devomax and indyref2 though the SNP would likely just abstain, even if that meant the Tories stayed in power if they had won most seats but not a majority. That way they could tell their supporters they had not sold out and also say they had not voted to keep the Tories in either
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,257

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

I would come, but alas I fear the poor transport links from the North will prevent it :disappointed:

Also, it would blow my cover as a 30-something, northern, educated epidemiologist and out me as an overweight, money-grabbing sleazy southern MP. And we wouldn't want that :smile:
    How many money-grubbing sleazy southern Lib Dem MPs are there? That can't be a big pool to figure out your alternate identity.

First guess from that description (not sure about overweight) would be Layla Moran, but you have way too much sense to be her.

Going to have to guess you are Ed Davey and claim five pairs of sandals.
    Thanks (I think?)

I was thinking more an Eric Pickles type character (not saying that he's sleazy - indeed, I see he was United Kingdom Anti-Corruption Champion 2015-2017! Not sure whether that was a competitive tournament...)
    edited November 2021
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

It’s not even that

Without the carrot of devomax and indyref2 though the SNP would likely just abstain, even if that meant the Tories stayed in power if they had won most seats but not a majority. That way they could tell their supporters they had not sold out and also say they had not voted to keep the Tories in either
    True but there is no way Starmer will offer the SNP anything - Labour need Scotland long term.

Sinister tweet from Sajid Javid.

That's real?!

Sinister tweet from Sajid Javid.

Completely stupid response - I thought the entire point of the booster was to give everyone a different vaccine for the booster.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

MaxPB said:

Though the CDC say the same about the UK.

ydoethur said:

It is depressing.
    But there’s little question that it needs rebuilding from the ground up.
  • eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

It’s not even that

True but there is no way Starmer will offer the SNP anything - Labour need Scotland long term.
    Oh please.

Given the chance of entering 10 Downing Street as Prime Minister or seeing Boris Johnson kiss the Queen's/King's hand again then Sir Keir would agree to an IndyRef2 faster than Nick Clegg could sell out students to become Deputy Prime Minister.
  • Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

"nursing a doormouse"

I believe nursing a dormouse is what BJ calls ‘it’.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    MaxPB said:

It's not good. I'd avoid Florida too.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774

Do you have a link to the wardrobe malfunctions?
    Stupid tweet; stupid reply.
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Austen's tongue was rarely out of her cheek.
    Love the use of "heroic" there. Throwaway.
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Though the CDC say the same about the UK.

Yeah I just had a look at Costa Rica stats and they're well below what the CDC would have me believe, plus a pretty reasonable 60% fully vaccinated rate and 75% single dose rate. Might wait a couple of weeks and book something there.
    Nigelb said:

I'd have thought responding to a silly tweet at 2130 is one of those things politicians (or whoever runs their twitter accounts for them) should consider just not worth it in terms of engaging on the platform. What's the upside? He is surely busy enough in the day to not spend his evenings responding to provocative tweets.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Cases in the low hundreds and deaths almost nil, but I guess the stats may not be reliable. They've got reasonably good vaccination rates and I guess very high natural immunity as well from delta.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,098

Another one?

That will be four in the lifetime of our Queen.
    Nigelb said:

I still don't understand why politicians bother with Twatter. It's a toxic platform that voters ignore.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

I'd have thought responding to a silly tweet at 2130 is one of those things politicians (or whoever runs their twitter accounts for them) should consider just not worth it in terms of engaging on the platform. What's the upside? He is surely busy enough in the day to not spend his evenings responding to provocative tweets.
    You think he does his own tweets?

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

"nursing a doormouse"

I believe nursing a dormouse is what BJ calls ‘it’.
    And ironically, nursed dormice call it a BJ.
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

But the Caribbean islands have done okay? Why is that?
    MattW said:

Another one?

That will be four in the lifetime of our Queen.
    No it won't.
    The clue is Melenchon.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,098
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

I would come, but alas I fear the poor transport links from the North will prevent it :disappointed:

Also, it would blow my cover as a 30-something, northern, educated epidemiologist and out me as an overweight, money-grabbing sleazy southern MP. And we wouldn't want that :smile:
    How many money-grubbing sleazy southern Lib Dem MPs are there? That can't be a big pool to figure out your alternate identity.

First guess from that description (not sure about overweight) would be Layla Moran, but you have way too much sense to be her.

Going to have to guess you are Ed Davey and claim five pairs of sandals.
    Thanks (I think?)

I was thinking more an Eric Pickles type character (not saying that he's sleazy - indeed, I see he was United Kingdom Anti-Corruption Champion 2015-2017! Not sure whether that was a competitive tournament...)
    That was probably to do with Tower Hamlets ?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    I have no idea what the first tweeter is complaining about. Did he think his booster had to be the same vaccine? If so he should do some reading.
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

I still don't understand why politicians bother with Twatter. It's a toxic platform that voters ignore.
    How else would journalists be able to write about them?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883

Starmer: "Be under no illusion, the prime minister has only done this U-turn because his back was against the wall."

Keir isn't like Boris. When his back's against the wall, he turns around and fights.
    So he fights the wall?
This discussion has been closed.