Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Sleazy does it – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

maaarsh said:

Sensational F1 weekend:
    1. The Verstappen fine and the Hamilton qualifying DQ were absolutely correct
    2. Hamilton has been utterly sensational. An almost ludicrous gulf in talent between him and the rest of the field this weekend
    3. He wasn't that quick in FP1 until they made the front end set-up change he wanted. So he is spectacular on the engineering as well
    4. Max and Lewis running off the track wasn't big a deal - both going flat out overcooked it. Remember that the FIA have already looked at the telemetry data showing that Max didn't pull a Schumacher.
    5. Will be an amazing final three races. Pity I am away for the last two!

Your take in point 4 is a little daft I'm afraid. They didn't both overcook it. 1 driver was preparing to take the corner, and the other was making sure neither of them did.

The outside wider line is quicker and can break later, yet Max broke much later up the inside. Everyone knows what happened and why.
    Hamilton was stupendous today. But this is racing. You go full send into the corner. Max ran long, they both went onto the run-off and back on. The pass done a few laps later.

Again, the stewards have all the data and we don't. Surely worse was Max weaving repeatedly - you absolutely cannot do that as it is dangerous.
    Hamilton was fully ahead, and you can’t reclaim a position while going fully off track. Still less claim a corner when you have insufficient control to stay on the track.
    Shockingly bad decision.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Popped on to find Leon pissed up, crass and witless a la Sean T in his worst days. Bit sad to see.

I am an avowed republican but hope a 95 year old lady is okay and stages a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

pigeon said:

With regards to the other thing if it has happened. If they have delayed the announcement out of respect for Remembrance Sunday, at which time in the morning will they push the button?

Theoretically, about 5am so ready for the main TV breakfast programmes. In practice, it would be utterly astonishing if they'd both tried and succeeded in keeping the death of the monarch under wraps for that long in this day and age. I don't think we were watching King Charles III's first public engagement this morning.
    Charles literally looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Anne and Edward a million miles away mentally. William a little wistful. And then they cut away to the ladies on the balcony who looked even worse.

Yes I know its Remembrance Sunday but something very very serious has happened which they were all consumed by.

Not Boris of course. Not in the loop. And was snapped looking in the opposite direction of the former PMs he was wth - at his own state funded personal photographer. What a tosser.
    You missed a trick. Surely Boris would very much be in the loop. You could have said he just doesn't give a f***.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    stodge said:

Leon said:

You are a lefty. This is why lefties nearly always lose elections. You have dead souls.

You have no inner understanding of country, history, story, love, patriotism, spirit, God. I bet you are an atheist as well.

You are lifeless zombies, and the world would be better off without you

Luckily, you tend not to reproduce, as well, because you are all so fucking scared of climate change, so that's that sorted

What a weird comment
    No, it's just boring - there was a time when posters like Martin Day and SeanT were genuinely witty and ascerbic but somewhere they lost that and just surrendered to the anti-left invective and became sad parodies of their former selves.
    Can I just point out that I am not SeanT. I would LOVE to be a sad parody of the great man. Truly the greatest PB commenter to walk these hallowed avenues of commentary. But no. Not me. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Oh dear, I just saw Catherine at the Cenotaph. And then Charles....

A week or two?

Please God no!

I've got a holiday booked in London for the end of the month.
    It is vulgar and distasteful to speculate, but let's face it we are going to speculate. Charles had the same face, today, that he wore when he went to visit the DoE a few days before the old man conked out. I suspect we are very close (I hope I am wrong, ofc, not just for her sake but because it is going to be an emotional hernia for the country)

So few of us can remember what it is like when a monarch passes.

eg Do we all immediately switch to "God Save the King"? Or do we wait until Chuck is crowned, or what?
    Chas becomes King the second her majesty passes.

It is automatic.

The crowning bit is largely irrelevant. Although certain oaths need to be said in order to cement it regarding upholding church of england iirc.
    So, theoretically, the time of the England South Africa match next weekend, the players could all be belting out "God Save the King"

The Queen is Dead, Long Live the King

I kind of like the instant automaticity of it. But I am a monarchist
    IIRC from the London Bridge plans that all major sporting events get postponed up until after the funeral.

The Rozzers will be needed elsewhere.
    Presumably the funeral plans are all fairly cemented in place. Should be some good music

Meghan can't skip this one. Awks
    Have a read of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge
    That's a great article, if a bit too fixated on national decline

This is an insightful passage

"In 1972, the writer Brian Masters estimated that around a third of us have dreamed about the Queen – she stands for authority and our mothers. People who are not expecting to cry will cry."

Reckon that's absolutely bang on. The Queen is Mummy. She has always been there, a fixed point in the British heavens, even hardened Republicans will be shaken, perhaps to the point of tears
    A third? Bloody hell, even i have dreamed about the Queen. I'd genuinely put it at the mid 90 %s for people born here.
    Yes, I've dreamed of her too. She's on the coins and stamps, she is everywhere, she is part of the national DNA, she is a constellation of meaning, emotion, memory.

A third is a vast underestimate for British people. But Masters was writing in 1972, and the Queen has grown mightily in stature and significance in the 50 years (!!) since then

I have French friends that will cry when she dies
    What a load of nonsense. Of course I won't cry when the queen dies. This is lady di stuff. If you don't know her and she isn't a close relative or close friend why would you cry? People should get a grip. And as for dreaming of the queen, well I have had some weird dreams, but the queen has never been in any of them. People are odd.
    People are odd. A genius insight. In this case you are the odd one

This is not Princess Di. This is the Queen. Most people will be a little sad, and maybe get a bit teary at points. Some people will be REALLY sad

I expect this is especially true for anyone over 40, who has only ever known the Queen as the head of state, a fixed lodestone, but who is also old enough to have memories of many Royal occasions from the Silver Jubilee to Di's funeral to the Cambridge and Sussex weddings
    Something can be an odd thing to do and still be done by large numbers of people as we saw with Diana. People getting ridiculously emotional about someone they don't know. That is odd even if done by many. It is utterly bonkers. It is mass hysteria.

I fit that age category you describe as do most of my friends. None are going to get soppy. I would be shocked if a young royal died, as in the case of Diana, but even then no more than that, because, damn it, I didn't know her. As far as the queen is concerned she is elderly so it is never going to be a shock. It is going to happen sometime in the near future.

As I said get a grip and stop being a wimp.
    I agree with that. I actually don't know one person, in all my friends and family, who is remotely interested in the Royal family. Indeed, we all tend to be a bit irritated by the never-ending coverage of various royals in the media. We just don't care. Apart from one grandmother, I don't think I've ever come across an ardent royalist. Most people I've met are indifferent, rather than hostile.

Now, when Liz dies, I don't deny there'll be a fleeting moment of sadness because, as monarchs go, if you have to have one, she's done a good job. But she's seriously old, so it's not a big deal. Diana dying was a bit different, because she was cut off in her prime - it's always sadder when someone dies prematurely.
    You are a lefty. This is why lefties nearly always lose elections. You have dead souls.

You have no inner understanding of country, history, story, love, patriotism, spirit, God. I bet you are an atheist as well.

Luckily, you tend not to reproduce, as well, because you are all so fucking scared of climate change, so that's that sorted
    Ha ha, you're funny. Yes, I'm a leftie atheist - you've got me there. But no, I'm not a lifeless zombie.

As for your last sentence, just wrong. I've reproduced enough to have four kids. All raging atheist lefties with no interest in the royals. Three of them are busy reproducing as well now (not at this precise moment, but you know what I mean). As with Covid, our growth is exponential. So, the writing's on the wall - soon we'll outnumber the God-fearing, Queen-loving, right-wing flint knappers by a magnitude of many.
    You won't, given a majority of every age group except 18 to 24s want to keep the monarchy (and even there fewer than half of them want a republic) as do a majority of Tory and LD voters and Remain and Leave voters and even a plurality of Labour voters.

Keeping the monarchy is one of the few issues that unites all British voters regardless of party

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/zzfjr9fmfc/Attitudes to monarchy 2021.pdf
    Ye gods, do you have to take everything so literally? I thought it was evident that my post was a bit of hyperbolic satire, but clearly not.
    Recent polls, excluding don't knows, show that 52% think your post was meant seriously not satirically... which tanslates into a majority for the Seriously Party (with DUP support).
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is vulgar and distasteful to speculate, but let's face it we are going to speculate. Charles had the same face, today, that he wore when he went to visit the DoE a few days before the old man conked out. I suspect we are very close (I hope I am wrong, ofc, not just for her sake but because it is going to be an emotional hernia for the country)

eg Do we all immediately switch to "God Save the King"? Or do we wait until Chuck is crowned, or what?

It is automatic.

The crowning bit is largely irrelevant. Although certain oaths need to be said in order to cement it regarding upholding church of england iirc.
    So, theoretically, the time of the England South Africa match next weekend, the players could all be belting out "God Save the King"

IIRC from the London Bridge plans that all major sporting events get postponed up until after the funeral.

Presumably the funeral plans are all fairly cemented in place. Should be some good music

Have a read of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

"In 1972, the writer Brian Masters estimated that around a third of us have dreamed about the Queen – she stands for authority and our mothers. People who are not expecting to cry will cry."

Reckon that's absolutely bang on. The Queen is Mummy. She has always been there, a fixed point in the British heavens, even hardened Republicans will be shaken, perhaps to the point of tears
    A third? Bloody hell, even i have dreamed about the Queen. I'd genuinely put it at the mid 90 %s for people born here.
    Yes, I've dreamed of her too. She's on the coins and stamps, she is everywhere, she is part of the national DNA, she is a constellation of meaning, emotion, memory.

A third is a vast underestimate for British people. But Masters was writing in 1972, and the Queen has grown mightily in stature and significance in the 50 years (!!) since then

What a load of nonsense. Of course I won't cry when the queen dies. This is lady di stuff. If you don't know her and she isn't a close relative or close friend why would you cry? People should get a grip. And as for dreaming of the queen, well I have had some weird dreams, but the queen has never been in any of them. People are odd.

This is not Princess Di. This is the Queen. Most people will be a little sad, and maybe get a bit teary at points. Some people will be REALLY sad

I expect this is especially true for anyone over 40, who has only ever known the Queen as the head of state, a fixed lodestone, but who is also old enough to have memories of many Royal occasions from the Silver Jubilee to Di's funeral to the Cambridge and Sussex weddings
    Something can be an odd thing to do and still be done by large numbers of people as we saw with Diana. People getting ridiculously emotional about someone they don't know. That is odd even if done by many. It is utterly bonkers. It is mass hysteria.

I fit that age category you describe as do most of my friends. None are going to get soppy. I would be shocked if a young royal died, as in the case of Diana, but even then no more than that, because, damn it, I didn't know her. As far as the queen is concerned she is elderly so it is never going to be a shock. It is going to happen sometime in the near future.

lol. I'm not sitting here sobbing in expectation, I'm just observing that this will touch many many people

I have friends like you, almost certainly on the spectrum, who look at their emotional fellow humans with bewilderment. But these friends are the oddballs. I still love 'em dearly

Humanity needs all types. Kirk AND Spock
    I think you might find there are quite a lot of us on your spectrum. You know those of us who only get sad when it is actually a friend or relative or when we hear of something shocking happening to a stranger.
    Leon, and his previous incarnations seem to be able to patronise people with autism (which is what he is alluding to) with impunity and over a long period of time

With a son struggling hard to normalise his life by working hard to overcome the effects of autism, how I laugh heartily when Leon demeans, with his hilarious little digs, my son and others who are doing their best to manage their autism.
    I have extremely close family friends who are diagnosed as People Of the Spectrum. I love them dearly. You are FAR too defensive

I never use the word "autistic" as an insult, I use it advisedly, like "blind" or "very tall" or "musically gifted" or "Boris Johnson".

There is a kind of autistic mind, over-represented on PB (because we are a self selecting group of stats and politics geeks: more likely to be autistic) and probably over-represented in politics (TMay? Gordon Brown?). Defining it and spotting it is quite important, because then you can predict how they will behave (just as it is important to spot narcissists like Blair or actual psychopaths like Hitler or charismatic oddities like Thatcher)

I don't wish to be rude to Nick Palmer but I bet he is on the spectrum, if he ever did a test. I choose him as an example of someone on the spectrum with a very satisfying career and a life he seems to enjoy. Good for him

And if we aren't allowed to call them autistic then..... what? What do we call them? If they exhibit all the characteristics and we all know it and see it? It is not an insult. It is just a descriptor
    Absolute plonker. Not an insult, just a descriptor.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

I agree with that. I actually don't know one person, in all my friends and family, who is remotely interested in the Royal family. Indeed, we all tend to be a bit irritated by the never-ending coverage of various royals in the media. We just don't care. Apart from one grandmother, I don't think I've ever come across an ardent royalist. Most people I've met are indifferent, rather than hostile.

Now, when Liz dies, I don't deny there'll be a fleeting moment of sadness because, as monarchs go, if you have to have one, she's done a good job. But she's seriously old, so it's not a big deal. Diana dying was a bit different, because she was cut off in her prime - it's always sadder when someone dies prematurely.

Ha ha, you're funny. Yes, I'm a leftie atheist - you've got me there. But no, I'm not a lifeless zombie.

As for your last sentence, just wrong. I've reproduced enough to have four kids. All raging atheist lefties with no interest in the royals. Three of them are busy reproducing as well now (not at this precise moment, but you know what I mean). As with Covid, our growth is exponential. So, the writing's on the wall - soon we'll outnumber the God-fearing, Queen-loving, right-wing flint knappers by a magnitude of many.
    You won't, given a majority of every age group except 18 to 24s want to keep the monarchy (and even there fewer than half of them want a republic) as do a majority of Tory and LD voters and Remain and Leave voters and even a plurality of Labour voters.

Keeping the monarchy is one of the few issues that unites all British voters regardless of party

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/zzfjr9fmfc/Attitudes to monarchy 2021.pdf
    Ye gods, do you have to take everything so literally? I thought it was evident that my post was a bit of hyperbolic satire, but clearly not.
    Recent polls, excluding don't knows, show that 52% think your post was meant seriously not satirically... which tanslates into a majority for the Seriously Party (with DUP support).
    Very good!
  • Options

Leon said:

I was at Twickenham yesterday. I have never heard God Save the Queen sung by 80,000 people so powerfully - it was spine-tinglingly incredible.

It would be very sad if that turned out to be the last time God Save the Queen was heard at Tickenham.
    Gosh, that's a thought, and not an entirely happy one. Not forever, of course, but given a succession that goes Charles - William - George - ?, it could be a long time.
    Beyond my lifetime that's for sure. And Her Maj may well be the last ever reigning Queen since, you know, the monarchy is on borrowed time.
    it is the second longest lived monarchy on earth, and monarchies are the richest, most stable nations on earth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

The chances of the UK abandoning the monarchy are on the same level of probability as Cornwall going independent. There is a basis of opinion, but will it ever be realised? No

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    MPs keep second job details secret – for years
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/14/mps-keep-second-job-details-secret-for-years

(Because they changed the rules.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

lol. I'm not sitting here sobbing in expectation, I'm just observing that this will touch many many people

I have friends like you, almost certainly on the spectrum, who look at their emotional fellow humans with bewilderment. But these friends are the oddballs. I still love 'em dearly

I think you might find there are quite a lot of us on your spectrum. You know those of us who only get sad when it is actually a friend or relative or when we hear of something shocking happening to a stranger.
    Leon, and his previous incarnations seem to be able to patronise people with autism (which is what he is alluding to) with impunity and over a long period of time

With a son struggling hard to normalise his life by working hard to overcome the effects of autism, how I laugh heartily when Leon demeans, with his hilarious little digs, my son and others who are doing their best to manage their autism.
    I have extremely close family friends who are diagnosed as People Of the Spectrum. I love them dearly. You are FAR too defensive

I never use the word "autistic" as an insult, I use it advisedly, like "blind" or "very tall" or "musically gifted" or "Boris Johnson".

There is a kind of autistic mind, over-represented on PB (because we are a self selecting group of stats and politics geeks: more likely to be autistic) and probably over-represented in politics (TMay? Gordon Brown?). Defining it and spotting it is quite important, because then you can predict how they will behave (just as it is important to spot narcissists like Blair or actual psychopaths like Hitler or charismatic oddities like Thatcher)

I don't wish to be rude to Nick Palmer but I bet he is on the spectrum, if he ever did a test. I choose him as an example of someone on the spectrum with a very satisfying career and a life he seems to enjoy. Good for him

And if we aren't allowed to call them autistic then..... what? What do we call them? If they exhibit all the characteristics and we all know it and see it? It is not an insult. It is just a descriptor
    Autism is strong in the RP family. My wife and one of my nephews diagnosed on the spectrum, other nephew and niece almost certainly are, my eldest with my ex is diagnosed and I am self-diagnosed (and not disputed by people who know me and the spectrum).

Autism is not a "disorder" or even a "condition". Its just an alternate way to wire up your brain.
    I didn't think you were having a pop. Whats wrong with being an oddball? Must be awful being "normal" as the herd define it. Let your freak flag fly! As for reacting to stuff, I was in California when Diana forgot to put her seatbelt on. Saw ludicrous reaction from Americans who couldn't understand why I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

So I totally got what you were saying. Lets all hold hands through what is going to be a preposterous period of national wailing.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Leon said:

stodge said:

No, it's just boring - there was a time when posters like Martin Day and SeanT were genuinely witty and ascerbic but somewhere they lost that and just surrendered to the anti-left invective and became sad parodies of their former selves.

Can I just point out that I am not SeanT. I would LOVE to be a sad parody of the great man. Truly the greatest PB commenter to walk these hallowed avenues of commentary. But no. Not me. Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
    Okay, you aren't SeanT - are you Martin Day? I sat next to you on the terrace of the National Liberal Club in the days when you were witty and entertaining.
  • Options
    Leon said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

What a weird comment
    You can point it out as often as you like (or your publishers require) but no one is ever going to believe you.

My advice is beware the Steisand Effect - just ignore all references to SeanT.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

With regards to the other thing if it has happened. If they have delayed the announcement out of respect for Remembrance Sunday, at which time in the morning will they push the button?

Theoretically, about 5am so ready for the main TV breakfast programmes. In practice, it would be utterly astonishing if they'd both tried and succeeded in keeping the death of the monarch under wraps for that long in this day and age. I don't think we were watching King Charles III's first public engagement this morning.
    Charles literally looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. Anne and Edward a million miles away mentally. William a little wistful. And then they cut away to the ladies on the balcony who looked even worse.

Yes I know its Remembrance Sunday but something very very serious has happened which they were all consumed by.

Not Boris of course. Not in the loop. And was snapped looking in the opposite direction of the former PMs he was wth - at his own state funded personal photographer. What a tosser.
    You missed a trick. Surely Boris would very much be in the loop. You could have said he just doesn't give a f***.
    AIUI they don't tell the PM until it breaks out of the palace. I don't think she's passed, but it can't be long. Sadly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/14/mps-keep-second-job-details-secret-for-years

Hutchinson Ports Europe clearly have money to burn:

Former Conservative transport secretary Chris Grayling is one of the best-paid MPs, with a £100,000-a-year advisory role with Hutchison Ports Europe, which operates the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich and has its parent company in the Cayman Islands. He is paid about £270 an hour.

What a waste of fucking money.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

But you don't, tho

ATHEISTS AT RISK OF DYING OUT DUE TO BELIEF IN CONTRACEPTION, STUDY CLAIMS

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/atheists-dying-out-contraception-claims-study-a7626846.html

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/07/why-people-with-no-religion-are-projected-to-decline-as-a-share-of-the-worlds-population/

A soulless self-defined "meat robot" like you, has no purpose in life other than..... what? Voting Lib Dem? Getting excited by a new David Attenborough documentary?

What is the POINT in you? There is none. You are literally pointless. You don't believe in God, you don't believe in monarchy, you don't believe in an afterlife, you don't believe in a future, you don't believe in your nation, you stare into a bleak howling void every time you wake up, and you know ALL THE TIME that the atoms of your consciousness will be whirled into a doomed entropic universe of NOTHING the moment you are poisoned by asbestos, or your wife, who has been homicidally crazed by your tedious geriatric opinions, whichever comes first, shrug, etc
    There's one teensy-weensy, minor flaw in that argument:

Believers becoming non-believers is much more common than the other way around.

(Or to put it another way, just because Mama believes in the Afterlife, doesn't mean you do.)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

AIUI they don't tell the PM until it breaks out of the palace. I don't think she's passed, but it can't be long. Sadly.
    Given he meets with the Queen every week, he'll know precisely what the situation is.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,900
    I'd like to think that when the Queen misses an event celebrating her becoming the longest reigning sovereign in history in 2024, we'll all look back at this week and say "ah, but remember when we thought she had COVID/stroke/dead in 2021". Fingers crossed.

On the other hand, having watched the ceremony this morning, I agree that Charles did seem rather shaken. He also looked like a King for the first time - something to do with the hair/naval uniform? I hope he delivers his first few speeches as monarch dressed as his grandfather did.
  • Options

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

Autism is strong in the RP family. My wife and one of my nephews diagnosed on the spectrum, other nephew and niece almost certainly are, my eldest with my ex is diagnosed and I am self-diagnosed (and not disputed by people who know me and the spectrum).

Autism is not a "disorder" or even a "condition". Its just an alternate way to wire up your brain.
    I didn't think you were having a pop. Whats wrong with being an oddball? Must be awful being "normal" as the herd define it. Let your freak flag fly! As for reacting to stuff, I was in California when Diana forgot to put her seatbelt on. Saw ludicrous reaction from Americans who couldn't understand why I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

So I totally got what you were saying. Lets all hold hands through what is going to be a preposterous period of national wailing.
    Thankyou. I really am NEVER being insulting when I use the term "autistic", because of its closeness to me in my family. It is what it is

It is, as you say, a different way of thinking. I do believe that it is sometimes quite a definite handicap - the inability to read the emotional mind of others is socially problematic. But it also makes for forensic brains that can get to the essence of the matter without distraction. That is invaluable

And we need all of these people to make a good society. The Kirks and the Spocks, as I said

What is disastrous is when you get an autistic Prime Minister, in this televisual day and age which requires empathy (or at least a good fake version of it). I would hazard a guess that both Brown and May are on the spectrum. QED

But from all I have read, Isaac Newton and possibly Albert Einstein were also autistic. And they are the greatest scientists in all human history.

It really is not an insult!

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    Great thread TSE.

Totally agree. And people are bloody angry about it.

What particularly sticks in the throat is that the rest of us have had to make huge sacrifices these past two years. I don't think people are going to forget this in a hurry.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I was at Twickenham yesterday. I have never heard God Save the Queen sung by 80,000 people so powerfully - it was spine-tinglingly incredible.

It would be very sad if that turned out to be the last time God Save the Queen was heard at Tickenham.
    Did they do two minutes’ silence? I was at Twickham in 2010, for the same fixture on the same date, and to see 80,000 people standing in such silence that you could have heart a pin drop was astonishing.
    No, not this time but they did have a military bugler play The Last Post, which was beautiful, haunting, and moving. And heard in absolute silence of course.

I think the power of God Save the Queen yesterday was down to the fact that so few opposition fans were in Twickenham, due I suppose to Covid. I saw no Australian supporters, not a single one, which I have never experienced before.

For those engaged in the Culture Wars I regret to say that Swing Low remains as popular as ever, even with Wokists like me 😜.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Did they do two minutes’ silence? I was at Twickham in 2010, for the same fixture on the same date, and to see 80,000 people standing in such silence that you could have heart a pin drop was astonishing.
    No, not this time but they did have a military bugler play The Last Post, which was beautiful, haunting, and moving. And heard in absolute silence of course.

I think the power of God Save the Queen yesterday was down to the fact that so few opposition fans were in Twickenham, due I suppose to Covid. I saw no Australian supporters, not a single one, which I have never experienced before.

For those engaged in the Culture Wars I regret to say that Swing Low remains as popular as ever, even with Wokists like me 😜.
    What did you think of Marcus Smith?
  • Options
    Rumours on FB in comments underneath a BoJo post. The dead man is the bomber, the injured one a taxi driver who locked him in the car to stop him causing more mayhem.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Former Conservative transport secretary Chris Grayling is one of the best-paid MPs, with a £100,000-a-year advisory role with Hutchison Ports Europe, which operates the ports of Felixstowe and Harwich and has its parent company in the Cayman Islands. He is paid about £270 an hour.

Possibly a useful counter indicator? "That's an excellent idea!" "Thanks for your advice"

*quietly deletes it.*
    Yebbut... I could have done that job, for just £50k-a-year.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

You may be correct, of course.

But . . . when people say "it can't be long" always remember my great-Uncle Harry.

When I was a kid, we would travel to my parents' hometown to visit with various relatives. Including my mother's aunt, who was married to Uncle Harry. However, we never saw him, because he was sick in bed upstairs. For years.

What his illness was, I never knew. But do know, that when I returned to that town decades later, years after Aunt Mamie had passed away (and also my parents) well, Uncle Harry was still with us. In fact, he was out of bed & walking around! Must have been in his late 80s or even 90s. Naturally he didn't remember me (don't think we'd ever met before) but he did remember my mom & dad.

Rather suspect that what had been ailing my great-uncle was . . . wait for it . . . my great-aunt . . .
  • Options

Rumours on FB in comments underneath a BoJo post. The dead man is the bomber, the injured one a taxi driver who locked him in the car to stop him causing more mayhem.

Sounds plausible.
  • Options
    Re the Queen: Boris said he had an audience with her during the week and she was in good health.

Could the fact that family members were upset be down to it being the first Remembrance Sunday since the DoE passed?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Presence beyond his years and experience - some people seem blessed with that. Can't see him not being part of the England set-up for years to come tbh.
  • Options

Re the Queen: Boris said he had an audience with her during the week and she was in good health.

Could the fact that family members were upset be down to it being the first Remembrance Sunday since the DoE passed?

"Boris said . . . she was in good health."

Is not that statement alone cause for concern?
  • Options

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Presence beyond his years and experience - some people seem blessed with that. Can't see him not being part of the England set-up for years to come tbh.
    His skill is prodigious and dazzling - on video

Possibly one of those game-changing players which can take a really good team to actual greatness, like Maradona
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Or maybe Boris told... a lie...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,122
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Given he meets with the Queen every week, he'll know precisely what the situation is.
    That will just leave the small matter of knowing his arse from his elbow.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Possibly one of those game-changing players which can take a really good team to actual greatness, like Maradona
    Let's hope so, given he's English! Another great advert for English multi-culturalism tbf.
  • Options

Is there any precedence for that? 😇
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Gosh, that's a thought, and not an entirely happy one. Not forever, of course, but given a succession that goes Charles - William - George - ?, it could be a long time.
    Beyond my lifetime that's for sure. And Her Maj may well be the last ever reigning Queen since, you know, the monarchy is on borrowed time.
    it is the second longest lived monarchy on earth, and monarchies are the richest, most stable nations on earth:

The chances of the UK abandoning the monarchy are on the same level of probability as Cornwall going independent. There is a basis of opinion, but will it ever be realised? No
    I think it is unlikely the UK will abandon the monarchy for the simple reason that people will disagree on a replacement, and in practical not ceremonial terms it has limited effect I don't see where any urgency for change will come even if popular support for the reigning monarch(s) declines. It's easier even for the Commonwealth Realms to decide, eventually, that it may as well be abandoned, but the UK? What will it take for enough to not just no longer care about it, but to actively seek to change it?

I suppose any change in support would be sudden, probably in response to a sudden change like Sindy throwing up all manner of questions.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

Thankyou. I really am NEVER being insulting when I use the term "autistic", because of its closeness to me in my family. It is what it is

It is, as you say, a different way of thinking. I do believe that it is sometimes quite a definite handicap - the inability to read the emotional mind of others is socially problematic. But it also makes for forensic brains that can get to the essence of the matter without distraction. That is invaluable

And we need all of these people to make a good society. The Kirks and the Spocks, as I said

What is disastrous is when you get an autistic Prime Minister, in this televisual day and age which requires empathy (or at least a good fake version of it). I would hazard a guess that both Brown and May are on the spectrum. QED

But from all I have read, Isaac Newton and possibly Albert Einstein were also autistic. And they are the greatest scientists in all human history.

My brain makes associations that absolutely no one else would make, but I also miss patterns that are obvious to most other people.

Often been pondered by friends whether I'm on "the spectrum" - I'm not, according to Doc, despite other traits like finding receiving gifts very difficult and conducting my entire life through Google sheets.
  • Options

If so, we can chalk that up as the best case scenario in such situations.
  • Options

Maybe she is no longer in hood health. I think it was only announced a couple of days ago that she would definitely be attending the Cenotaph, so something seems to have changed very recently
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Let's hope so, given he's English! Another great advert for English multi-culturalism tbf.
    I’m not normally a jealous person, but my god he’s got the lot. Incredibly good looking, talented rugby player. Early twenties and playing as if he’s been in international rugby for years. He is the future of England rugby.
  • Options

Also on Reddit. If true, what's the criteria on VC/GC?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Nigelb said:

Not if they are paying him never to offer advice.
    Or doing the polar opposite of what he suggests.
    That would be a veritable bargain.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited November 2021
    Furious.

I had a booster jab a few weeks ago, so applied for another vaccine certificate, assuming it would show that I'd had 3 jabs. It arrived yesterday, and it was exactly the same as the one I already had months ago, confirming I'd had 2 jabs. The reason I applied for another one was because I wanted it to show I'd had 3, not 2. Not good.
  • Options

Is there any precedence for that? 😇
    Nothing I can recall, but if we all look hard enough there might be a few instances around...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

But you don't, tho

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/atheists-dying-out-contraception-claims-study-a7626846.html

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/07/why-people-with-no-religion-are-projected-to-decline-as-a-share-of-the-worlds-population/

A soulless self-defined "meat robot" like you, has no purpose in life other than..... what? Voting Lib Dem? Getting excited by a new David Attenborough documentary?

What is the POINT in you? There is none. You are literally pointless.
    Yeah, it's a bit of a pisser really, but I try not to let it keep me down.
  • Options

Maybe she is no longer in hood health. I think it was only announced a couple of days ago that she would definitely be attending the Cenotaph, so something seems to have changed very recently
    It was the lead story on the BBC website at 8am this morning that she would be attending the Cenotaph.

Then within the hour that was reversed.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I saw him playing in an England v Barbarians match a couple of years ago and his class was obvious.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

But you don't, tho

What is the POINT in you? There is none. You are literally pointless.
    Yeah, it's a bit of a pisser really, but I try not to let it keep me down.
    Otoh, I always find having the long sweep of history on your side is a bit of a filip.
  • Options

It was the lead story on the BBC website at 8am this morning that she would be attending the Cenotaph.

Of course it could be that she got out of bed this morning and said "Oh f*** I've pulled something"
  • Options

Could be that she actually did crick her back.

Lord knows I've come close to it, just turning in bed. It's hell being a geezer. And she's a super-geezer.
  • Options
    Seen a suggestion it may have been a female suicide bomber.
  • Options
    Paging the PB Travel Club:

Planning a road trip to the Italian Lakes next summer and we fancy coimng back via Austria with a few nights stop somewhere.

I don't know Austria at all, what's our best bet for a stop... Innsbruck? Salzburg? Vienna is a bit out of the way since we have to drive back to the Channel
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

VC is military only; GC is an option for civilians.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

Planning a road trip to the Italian Lakes next summer and we fancy coimng back via Austria with a few nights stop somewhere.

I don't know Austria at all, what's our best bet for a stop... Innsbruck? Salzburg? Vienna is a bit out of the way since we have to drive back to the Channel

Schladming is rather nice. As is Kufstein.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

To be fair, he'd see the convultions of a drowning man as someone laughing at his latest bon mot.
  • Options

He said that? Well as we know his word is his bond, so we know there are no concerns...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited November 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think it is unlikely the UK will abandon the monarchy for the simple reason that people will disagree on a replacement, and in practical not ceremonial terms it has limited effect I don't see where any urgency for change will come even if popular support for the reigning monarch(s) declines. It's easier even for the Commonwealth Realms to decide, eventually, that it may as well be abandoned, but the UK? What will it take for enough to not just no longer care about it, but to actively seek to change it?

I suppose any change in support would be sudden, probably in response to a sudden change like Sindy throwing up all manner of questions.
    Even Australia voted 55% to keep the monarchy in 1999 as it could not agree the form a Republic would take.

I doubt SINDY will happen and if it did it would make no difference even if an independent Scotland had a President like Ireland does, England certainly would want to keep the monarchy (albeit the SNP have said they would keep the Queen)
  • Options

May I suggest Liechtenstein? Never been there, but would love to visit, am a collector (so to speak) of micro-states.

Have visited San Marino & enjoyed it. Got personal tour of the capitol building from an English-speaking guard who turned out to be have dual SM-US citizenship as (sometime) resident of NYC.
  • Options

I guess it all depends on what you're in to:

Do you prefer Nazi sympathisers, mindless obedience to the rules or people who keep sex slaves locked up in the cellar?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

OT once again. I did rather enjoy this interview with the Editor of Private Eye, young Mr Hislop. The first 30 seconds or so are clips from later in the interview so don't get riled about them out of context. I do think he would fit in rather well with the PB mindset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OylUquvFEz0

Did they talk about him helping Andrew Wakefield spread his antivax bollocks?
    No (at least not at the point I've gotten to), but he does bring up an argument which I've never really understood, about the discussion around toxic and vicious debate that arose in the wake of Sir David Amess's death, and he rather smirkingly dismissed it as 'not the place' for the true point that the killer in that instance does not appear to have been involved in or interested in debate of any kind.

I've never understood it because I don't see why there needed to be a one to one connection, and don't see what the problem is in a tragedy leading people to reflect upon a separate issue of political discourse in general. At the time it struck me as some commentators thinking to prove themselves clever and contrarian in suggesting people were missing the point of the tragedy, when I don't see why several debates cannot happen at once, and even those not directly connected can affect how people perceive the other.
    Because what he is quite rightly saying is that too many politicians were using the tragedy as an excuse to drum up support for their own particular bit of authoritarian bollocks even when it was obvious it had nothing at all to do with what had happened.
    He made that point, but I was not persuaded by it because I regard that as separate to people and politicians generally deciding to take that moment to discuss what is still a real issue. It doesn't matter what provoked it, it is still a real issue and why should people not discuss it at that moment, so long as the people trying to push authoritarian solutions do not coopt the debate?

It is certainly more nuanced than his jocular attitude as if he could not quite believe why it might come up - it trivialised the issue and acted as though people cannot bring up certain topics at certain times because some commentators thing it is not relevant enough.

What he was doing was pretending that because some people might abuse the tragedy in that way, having that debate at all was not appropriate, and that, frankly, is utter bollocks. There is nothing wrong with raising an issue just because some idiots will make stupid arguments about it.
    He explicitly said it was a real issue that needed to be discussed and gave examples as well. he was just arguing, quite rightly, that tying it to the death of David Amess was crass and illogical. Indeed trying to co-opt the debate is exactly what the authoritarians were doing. I agree with him entirely.
    That's fine - I don't. He was acting as though it was a joke, and laughed, that people might want to discuss it at that time, and I think that is crass and illogical too, since while unconnected one can reasonably lead people to reflect on the other - my answer to his point would be that you point out when people try to co-opt the debate and draw unreasonable parallels, as part of that debate. Not make a nonsensical point implying two debates can't happen at the same time because some ill intentioned people will combine them. It was not as black and white a situation as he is pretending, and he is far too bright to not know that.
    Nah. You are just looking for something to criticise him over. And he smiles and jokes about every single thing. It is just his way. We have all known this for years. He is the human reflection of the schizophrenic nature of Private Eye.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

OT once again. I did rather enjoy this interview with the Editor of Private Eye, young Mr Hislop. The first 30 seconds or so are clips from later in the interview so don't get riled about them out of context. I do think he would fit in rather well with the PB mindset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OylUquvFEz0

Did they talk about him helping Andrew Wakefield spread his antivax bollocks?
    No (at least not at the point I've gotten to), but he does bring up an argument which I've never really understood, about the discussion around toxic and vicious debate that arose in the wake of Sir David Amess's death, and he rather smirkingly dismissed it as 'not the place' for the true point that the killer in that instance does not appear to have been involved in or interested in debate of any kind.

I've never understood it because I don't see why there needed to be a one to one connection, and don't see what the problem is in a tragedy leading people to reflect upon a separate issue of political discourse in general. At the time it struck me as some commentators thinking to prove themselves clever and contrarian in suggesting people were missing the point of the tragedy, when I don't see why several debates cannot happen at once, and even those not directly connected can affect how people perceive the other.
    Because what he is quite rightly saying is that too many politicians were using the tragedy as an excuse to drum up support for their own particular bit of authoritarian bollocks even when it was obvious it had nothing at all to do with what had happened.
    He made that point, but I was not persuaded by it because I regard that as separate to people and politicians generally deciding to take that moment to discuss what is still a real issue. It doesn't matter what provoked it, it is still a real issue and why should people not discuss it at that moment, so long as the people trying to push authoritarian solutions do not coopt the debate?

It is certainly more nuanced than his jocular attitude as if he could not quite believe why it might come up - it trivialised the issue and acted as though people cannot bring up certain topics at certain times because some commentators thing it is not relevant enough.

What he was doing was pretending that because some people might abuse the tragedy in that way, having that debate at all was not appropriate, and that, frankly, is utter bollocks. There is nothing wrong with raising an issue just because some idiots will make stupid arguments about it.
    He explicitly said it was a real issue that needed to be discussed and gave examples as well. he was just arguing, quite rightly, that tying it to the death of David Amess was crass and illogical. Indeed trying to co-opt the debate is exactly what the authoritarians were doing. I agree with him entirely.
    That's fine - I don't. He was acting as though it was a joke, and laughed, that people might want to discuss it at that time, and I think that is crass and illogical too, since while unconnected one can reasonably lead people to reflect on the other - my answer to his point would be that you point out when people try to co-opt the debate and draw unreasonable parallels, as part of that debate. Not make a nonsensical point implying two debates can't happen at the same time because some ill intentioned people will combine them. It was not as black and white a situation as he is pretending, and he is far too bright to not know that.
    Nah. You are just looking for something to criticise him over.
    And why would I do that? I like Ian Hislop, I think he's intelligent, insightful and frequently hilarious. So your supposition that I am looking for something to criticise him over makes no sense. Perhaps, even if you think I am wrong to, I actually believe what I wrote for the reasons I set out.
  • Options

You can't go to Fucking as they have unfortunately changed the name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugging,_Upper_Austria?wprov=sfla1
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    METRO: Health fears for the Queen #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1459997834447630340/photo/1
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Eabhal said:

I always thought that VC was for military during war, GC was military not “at war” and George Medal was for civilians. I could of course google it but much better to guess based on vague memory…!!
  • Options

Stop in the far northern Italian Tyrol, just south of the Brenner Pass

I especially recommend Bolzano, if you want a fine handsome city, or Bressanone/Brixen, if you want a gorgeous little town

A stunning part of the world. Magnificent mountains (the Dolomites!), superb food, Italian charm, German parking, endless history. One of my favourite corners of the world

I would definitely go for the Italian side of the border (even if they speak German for the first 50 miles). The coffee alone is so much better...
  • Options
    Serbia 2, Portugal 1.
    Greece 1, Kosovo 1.

Both matches almost finished,
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    BBC confirms Shapps's team has:

- formally objected to £2.5bn giga factory to be built at Coventry airport

- lobbied against 3,000 homes at Chalgrove airport Oxford

So public money used to campaign against, erm, government backed and/or funded plans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59283239
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The swing back in Covid number is rather strong is it not? Certainly ahead of where I thought it might be.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

So public money used to campaign against, erm, government backed and/or funded plans

The best news I've had for ages was discovering today that Grant Shapps is a big aviation fan.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Also, an elected Head of State would lead to President Boris. (C'mon, the role would attract him like a honeypot attracts flies.)

And we really don't want that. Anyone who wants to be HoS really shouldn't be.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

A week or two?

Please God no!

It is automatic.

Have a read of this.

Many people wrongly use "on the spectrum" or even "autistic" to describe intelligent introverts. You may be one of them.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sack the NIMBY scum.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

"the site could not accommodate both the development and an existing testing site for ejection seats."

Can think of someone who could help with that testing.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Alistair said:

The swing back in Covid number is rather strong is it not? Certainly ahead of where I thought it might be.

Not really, around 25% week on week in England. It's still the same story - a nation at the precipice of herd immunity. In other countries the upwards spikes are 100-150% week on week with some level of NPIs vs here with few to none. The question has always been the same, will we hit herd immunity before the NHS topples over, for me the answer is yes and the way we've done it is the only way to get there without health services falling over.
  • Options

You can't go to Fucking as they have unfortunately changed the name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugging,_Upper_Austria?wprov=sfla1
    "[W]e will not stand for the Fucking signs being removed. It may be very amusing for you British, but Fucking is simply Fucking to us. What is this big Fucking joke? . . ."
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,615

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

I think she has osteoporosis of the spine, hence the spine strain today. She has visibly shrunk and has quite a back curvature. This can be quite painful, and would explain why she has given up riding a couple of months back. Resting is good advice.

I expect that she will die in the next year or two, but who knows really? It will be the end of an era and an end to a reign of change, starting as monarch of a worldwide empire, and ending where we are now, an offshore island uncertain of what to do next. I won't cry though, and imagine that London Bridge will be way over the top. Life goes on.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218
    Scott_xP said:

METRO: Health fears for the Queen #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1459997834447630340/photo/1

I am afraid the Queen may have had a fall. At her advanced age such a thing can indeed be very dangerous, which would explain the rather grim faces of the Royal family today.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,375
    edited November 2021
    deleted
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Scott_xP said:

I can't stand the term 'gigafactory'. It is up there with 'jumbulance ' in the list of words that trigger me.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Serbia 2, Portugal 1.
    Greece 1, Kosovo 1.

Both matches almost finished,

Portugal in the playoffs then.
    Big chance CR7 won't be in Qatar.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

I think she has osteoporosis of the spine, hence the spine strain today. She has visibly shrunk and has quite a back curvature. This can be quite painful, and would explain why she has given up riding a couple of months back. Resting is good advice.

I expect that she will die in the next year or two, but who knows really? It will be the end of an era and an end to a reign of change, starting as monarch of a worldwide empire, and ending where we are now, an offshore island uncertain of what to do next. I won't cry though, and imagine that London Bridge will be way over the top. Life goes on.
    Was she ever monarch of an empire?

I thought her dad was the last Emperor?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,218

Salzburg is great, beautiful and lots of Mozart connections. I would also say a word for the German Black forest, Freiburg and the genuinely interesting Schloss Hohenzollern and slightly further afield, the minister at Ulm.
  • Options

Leon said:

Actually someone suggested it some years back and I was interested enough to see a psychiatrist and have a bunch of tests - she thought not, though I definitely try to analyse my way through life, which is something often linked to it. But anyway I agree it shouldn't be seen as an insult. My main reservation is the general one about saying people "are" this or that - it's too often used in a reductionist way - he's an extrovert, she's autistic, they're Red Wall types, etc. People are individuals, to be cherished for their individuality. It's fine to make general observations about a group, but there's much more to everyone than any one phrase can suggest.
    I know that we have only met once, but I didn’t think you are on the spectrum. Indeed I think you demonstrate* an empathy and understanding of others very unlike ASD.

*ASD folk may well experience empathy, but often struggle to express it in ways understood by others.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I wish we wouldn't speculate about the Queen's health.

Its an inevitable part of having a monarchy.

Changeover from one monarch to another is as natural as changing from one Prime Minister to another - except its not elections that underpin monarchies.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I do find it rather unedifying and the idea she had died earlier in the day and it was being kept a secret was unnecessary

She is an elderly person and like all those who are elderly a little bit of respect would not be amiss
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Well she still hands out OBE's!

• Options
    I note Austria are putting the unvaccinated into a national lockdown.

Better than the Dutch putting everyone into a national lockdown, but still a terrible job that lockdowns of any sort are necessary twelve months after vaccines became available.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Not really, around 25% week on week in England. It's still the same story - a nation at the precipice of herd immunity. In other countries the upwards spikes are 100-150% week on week with some level of NPIs vs here with few to none. The question has always been the same, will we hit herd immunity before the NHS topples over, for me the answer is yes and the way we've done it is the only way to get there without health services falling over.
    the day by day speciimen date figures suggest this current rise has pretty much stopped already (although comparing week on week it will look like things are rising until the figures are all lapped).

http://sonorouschocolate.com/covid19/extdata/logcasesbyage.png
  • Options

"[W]e will not stand for the Fucking signs being removed. It may be very amusing for you British, but Fucking is simply Fucking to us. What is this big Fucking joke? . . ."
    The diplomatic solution would be for us to find or invent a place named after a German swear word for their tourists. Arschloch seems like it could be a place, possibly Scotland.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

At this stage I'm satisfied that the end game of the pandemic is well underway, and the case numbers are now flip-flopping up and down as the disease settles into an endemic pattern.

The NHS actually is in a knackered, clapped out state - but locking everyone up again would do little to help, and any gains made therefrom would be greatly outweighed by the further damage done to the economy and a populace that has already suffered enough from being bullied and hectored and told to sit on its arse at home and live through screens for months at a time.

It looks very much as if the decision taken in July that we must learn to live with Covid (and, consequently, to let it rip virtually unchecked through schoolchildren through the Autumn) was the right one. We arrive in Winter at the tail end of the exit wave; many of our neighbours are just getting started.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I do find it rather unedifying and the idea she had died earlier in the day and it was being kept a secret was unnecessary

She is an elderly person and like all those who are elderly a little bit of respect would not be amiss
    Sure, I took the Palace statement of back strain at face value, and it seems to fit what we see.

She is a frail 95 Yr old now, but she is also the Head of State, so speculation is inevitable. The curse of the Royals is that everything that they do or don't do is of public interest, even were they to wish it wasn't.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The diplomatic solution would be for us to find or invent a place named after a German swear word for their tourists. Arschloch seems like it could be a place, possibly Scotland.
    We could rename Coventry as Scheisse to keep them happy.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

... although I somehow doubt she is scrolling through PB.com. 😂
  • Options
    Leon said:

Stop in the far northern Italian Tyrol, just south of the Brenner Pass

I especially recommend Bolzano, if you want a fine handsome city, or Bressanone/Brixen, if you want a gorgeous little town

A stunning part of the world. Magnificent mountains (the Dolomites!), superb food, Italian charm, German parking, endless history. One of my favourite corners of the world

I would definitely go for the Italian side of the border (even if they speak German for the first 50 miles). The coffee alone is so much better...
    Thanks all!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

... although I somehow doubt she is scrolling through PB.com. 😂
    But how else does she keep in touch?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

pigeon said:

Well she still hands out OBE's!

Indeed, it's appalling she hands them out - doesn't she know how much she can charge for them instead?
This discussion has been closed.