Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Greens are favourite in tonight’s local election bet – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

Looks like another record day in Germany, after all

"Germany counted a staggering 50,196 new COVID-19 infections on Thursday, its highest count since the pandemic began."

https://twitter.com/AnselmGibbs/status/1458912740597284871?s=20

Given that RKI update into the early hours (or they did yesterday) this could hit 60,000?

50,196 is the figure for the 10th of November. It's not going to be updated. At some point tomorrow morning we will get the figures for the 11th of November.
    Yesterday you claimed the figure for yesterday was "39,000". You are clueless
    No I claimed correctly that the figure for 9th of November was 39000. You falsely claimed that the figure for I don't know which day was 45k, which it wasn't (because no day has had that number). Moron.
    Here you go. You said

"50,196 is the figure for the 10th of November. It's not going to be updated. At some point tomorrow morning we will get the figures for the 11th of November"

So. Also. 50.196 is the figure for the 10th November. Is it? Really?

Let's check.... ooh, the Robert Koch Institute? Let's check them?

Ah.

"Coronavirus Disease. Situation Report by the RKI Institute for Germany, 11/11/2021, Current Status For Germany

Cases: 50,196"

See that

11/11/2021

There. 11/11/2021

Cases: 50, 196

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Nov_2021/2021-11-11-en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
    You really are quite stupid aren't you? If you bothered to read your own link you would see the word "yesterday"

as in

"Yesterday, 50,196 new laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases as well as 235 new deaths associated with COVID-19 were
    transmitted to the RKI in Germany"

You seem to forget how this argument began. YAWN

Leon admits he got it wrong, finally :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,981
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

"Germany counted a staggering 50,196 new COVID-19 infections on Thursday, its highest count since the pandemic began."

Given that RKI update into the early hours (or they did yesterday) this could hit 60,000?

50,196 is the figure for the 10th of November. It's not going to be updated. At some point tomorrow morning we will get the figures for the 11th of November.
    He's not wrong though. 50,196 is the Wednesday number.

I haven't seen the Thursday number. My guess is that it's going to be in the high 40s.
    No, but he got Wednesday entirely wrong. It was a record day. Today looks like 40-60k in Germany
    That's a spread so wide, you could fit a bus in it.
    Do you want a Christian gentleman's wager of one shilling paid to the next homeless person?

Whoever is nearest wins, obvs, and has to pay the homeless person, thereby storing up treasures in heaven

I reckon it will be 52k
    I think it will be 47-49k.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,958
    Zulu Cannibal Giants. Ethiopian Clowns. San Antonio Black Indians.
    Many, many others had Black, Brown or Colored in their names.
    I fear a book about the Negro Leagues would cause a stir,
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Labour 295,278,267 votes? Blimey, that's a lot!

If Starmer does not match it then he should GTFO, loser.
    Some interesting polls on this recently:

How polls have changed since Starmer became leader:

Redfield and Winton 🌹LAB+7, 🌳CON-12
    YouGov 🌹Lab+8, 🌳Con-16
    Opinium 🌹Lab+6, 🌳Con-16
    Ipsos MORI 🌹Lab+6, 🌳Con-17

https://twitter.com/AdamRd1989/status/1457780064318222337?t=ahRAljpqCHBAtGgPUQIorQ&s=19

All bar one do put Starmer 20 points ahead of the point before he became leader, and that was 19 points. I am not particularly a fan, but quite some swing.
    I've recently backed Starmer to be next PM in a modest way. 5ish BF. If anything though he's been drifting.I don't really get why as surely Boris is in more trouble than he's ever been. Is there some view that Labour would use the opportunity of any Tory leadership change to switch too?

I'd really like to find a bet that focussed on the LD/Green race - perhaps "3rd party seatwise"? Would you 1000 on either the Tories or Labour? (Normally probably yes, but currently - not so sure)

The trouble with the next Prime Minister market is you need to factor in that Boris might be replaced before the next election, in which case the next Prime Minister will be a Conservative and not Keir Starmer. We've seen this when going from Cameron to May and from May to Boris. The worse the polls get for the blue team, the more likely it is that Boris will walk, and the more likely it is that backbenchers will send in their letters.
    That's the bit I love.

Starmer drifting must point to it being far worse for Boris than I envisioned.

I was a bit wrong-footed by Maggie's departure. I suspect I'll not spot the signs again.
    Presumably Sunak's odds are tightening?
    No - basically unchanged.

PS. Farooq, I need to offer you an apology. Some weeks ago I concluded that you were some sort of a Chinese infiltrator or other. I'm pretty sure I was wrong though. I'm not sure you're quite what you seem, but hey, who is!
    Is that what you thought? Ha, interesting to know.
    I assure you I'm sincere in my beliefs, and if anyone cares to have a summary of them (I feel my audience at this point wouldn't fill a phone box), it's that we do best as a country when we don't go lurching suddenly off on some mad scheme, when we look after each other, when we preserve our freedoms and stick up for those in the world who want to preserve and win their own. But not at any old price: sometimes we're best to leave well alone. Capitalism is best but turns sour with large wealth inequalities, and we need the odd dose of social democracy to keep us honest. I have fairly wide parameters to what I think acceptable governance looks like, and I think probably 500+ of our MPs are good people. Boris Johnson isn't one of them, and probably has never been a good person in all his wretched life. He's a selfish, dangerous bastard, but even he gets some things right.

I don't have a lot of interest in China. I know their sabre rattling of Taiwan is wrong and their human rights is abysmal, but I also think their leadership has a streak of civilisation through it and they have a path to a better place without us throwing too much vinegar around. I'm much more worried by Russia's leadership, but all this comes from a fairly selfish point of view. I don't think China is really out to deliberately make my life worse, I'm just glad I don't live there. Putin, on the other hand, wants all of us to suffer. We need to watch China, but on Putin, we need to act.

If you know of anyone who is willing to pay for me to spout off on any of the above, I'll gladly take the cash. As long as I'm paid to give my own opinion and not someone else's, I'll happily be an infiltrator.
    Very interesting and I agree largely with you but I do not downplay China

It may be a result of our travels to Asia, Australia and New Zealand in the years our eldest son lived in Christchurch 2003 - 2015 and it does provide a different view of the world and that Europe, while important, is not the whole story

On Putin I am genuinely interested in what steps we should take or as you say act
    I won't set down in writing what I think should happen with Putin. Let's just say it's very, very hawkish.
    He's been involved with killing innocent people to help send surges of refugees towards Europe with the express aim of sowing division within Europe. Many of those refugees die. I regard this as functionally the same as sending suicide bombers out on terrorist missions. He's using vulnerable people to achieve a political aim that is itself pretty debased. Whilst Putin is around, everything is a negative sum game, and he's beyond the reach of international justice. The question is, what options does that leave us?
    I can think of precisely three options, and one of them is to give up and let him win. That is my third choice. I'll leave it to your imaginings as to what the other two could be.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Stocky said:

Omnium said:

Stocky said:

An experience to report for your consideration.

My daughter's (age 17) school organised (or rather the PTA organised) a Halloween fancy dress disco at a village hall.

After the event my daughter told us that there was alcohol available and many pupils were drunk. She said there were some drugs too.

One of the boys was a sex-pest, walking round drunk/drugged pinching a dozen or so girls' bums and in one case, at least, squeezing a tit.

My daughter thought the boy a prat, doesn't like him, but was otherwise not overly bothered.

Her friend happened to talk about it at school within earshot of a teacher. And OMG the beaurocracy, cover-our-arses, wheels have been turning.

The teacher reported it to the Head and the school safeguarding officer. The girls were talked to. The school called in the Police. The school called us twice - very keen to say how they were following their safeguarding protocols - asking for our permission for my daughter to be interviewed (even though we were told that parental consent was not actually needed legally). The police called us too.

The police (two of them) visited the school and pulled my daughter plus one other girl (the only two affected girls who were sober during the party they said) interviewed them and took notes.

The police came back to the school a second time saying that their superiors had said they hadn't done enough and actually needed written statements. These took two hours. My daughter and her friend were pulled out of classes to do this.

The police have said that my daughter would be asked to appear at court to give evidence should it go that far. They seem, at this stage, to think this unlikely.

Points that I have noted from this extraordinary experience:

1) Why were pupils allowed to get drunk at a school (PTA) organised event and how come there were drugs present?
    2) How many police hours and resources have been expended on this?
    3) How many school hours/lost teaching has this cost?
    4) And the boy - why did no organiser notice this boy's behaviour towards the girls - and his drunkenness - and intervene?

I am left as concerned about 1), 2) and 3) as I am about 4).

Am I wrong?

Nothing to see.
    What was the status of the PTA involvement? Could the invitation has reasonably been interpreted to mean there would be extensive supervision? Realistically, I'd expect alcohol and probably drugs at any teenage party nowadays, unless strictly supervised. Kids at my school (international, in Denmark) certainly had boozy parties with no particular age limit - I remember one kid drinking 16 cans of beer and feeling pretty sorry for himself next day - and nobody thought anything outrageous about it (but he was regarded as an idiot rather than a hero). The sex pest sounds more out of the ordinary and I'm surprised other kids didn't tell him to get lost.

I can see that the school and even the police can't ignore it once it's been raised, but I doubt if they actively pursue it. I remember talking to the secondary head in a fairly posh school in my patch - she said resignedly that she knew kids were giving each other blow jobs in the nearby park, what could you do?
    Bloody hell - now I'm even more worried.

Should this silly boy, age 17, have this on his police record (as I assume it now will be)? Given that my daughter was one of the affected girls you may be surprised that I have some sympathy for the boy - but I do given the extent to which this has escalated. I certainly do not think the police should have been involved.

Any why are the authorities so keen on making victims out of the girls and pursuing the boy when no-one seems concerned about 17 year olds taking drugs?

I think I'm naive and out of touch on this. But common sense seems lacking to me.
    I think when we were young a lot of behaviour was put down to "boys will be boys" and girls had to put up with a lot of nasty crap as a result. The pendulum has swung the other way now and anything in the region of sexual assault is treated very seriously. I think I mostly prefer the current approach. Teenage years are messy though, people will do dumb stuff, just like we all did.
    My eldest daughter is 15 and quite sensible compared to me at her age. But maybe this kind of stuff is just around the corner...
    The interview on World at One with Shaun Bailey on misogynistic behaviour by teenagers is worth a listen. From 30.39.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011c57

Maybe this lad was just being a dickhead as a one off, but maybe it is a sign of more disturbing things to come. Not much condemnation by the other lads too is a worrying tolerance too.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,598

What fresh...

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m
    TELEGRAPH: Russia may invade Ukraine, warns US #TomorrowsPapersToday

Now that would be quite some dead cat for Boris to land on us.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,924

What a gutter. Poor fellow

‘Devon Conway has been ruled out of the @T20WorldCup Final and following tour to India with a broken right hand. Conway sustained the injury when he struck his bat immediately after being dismissed in last night’s semi-final. More Info | on.nzc.nz/3qC95mq #T20WorldCup’

https://twitter.com/blackcaps/status/1458860317681741824?s=21
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,131

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Leon said:

No I claimed correctly that the figure for 9th of November was 39000. You falsely claimed that the figure for I don't know which day was 45k, which it wasn't (because no day has had that number). Moron.
    Here you go. You said

"50,196 is the figure for the 10th of November. It's not going to be updated. At some point tomorrow morning we will get the figures for the 11th of November"

So. Also. 50.196 is the figure for the 10th November. Is it? Really?

Let's check.... ooh, the Robert Koch Institute? Let's check them?

Ah.

"Coronavirus Disease. Situation Report by the RKI Institute for Germany, 11/11/2021, Current Status For Germany

Cases: 50,196"

See that

11/11/2021

There. 11/11/2021

Cases: 50, 196

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Situationsberichte/Nov_2021/2021-11-11-en.pdf?__blob=publicationFile
    You really are quite stupid aren't you? If you bothered to read your own link you would see the word "yesterday"

as in

"Yesterday, 50,196 new laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases as well as 235 new deaths associated with COVID-19 were
    transmitted to the RKI in Germany"

You seem to forget how this argument began. YAWN

Leon admits he got it wrong, finally :lol:
    No, I don't, actually

This argument began when I quoted Worldometer on potentially record German cases. Kamski waded in, pimply bratwurst in hand, saying that BLAH BLAH BLAH EVA BRAUN IS BEAUTIFUL BLAH BLAH, you know, the usual

I pointed out that Worldometer seems to update over time, and Germany was indeed maybe headed for a record day, then he came back with some stuff about chicken farming, and genetic inheritance of differing Aryan and unter-peoples, and a different day's cases, and I calmly and harmoniously suggested that he stop frothing, and wait for an update, and perhaps shave his upper lip. We got the update. Record cases. Yesterday

All else is Nicht Akkeptable!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Hang on. It was called the Negro League. Never heard any baseball fan, woke or out and out racist, call it owt else.
    In fact it needs lifting to Major League status.

Some terms are only ok in very specific configurations according to the nebulous rules of society. Colored People being a famous example. In this case even though the league can hardly be otherwise referred to, saying 'the great negro' counts as a gaffe as it sounds awkward as hell, even though the context for such a reference seems pretty clear.
    Also, it wouldn't matter if the Woke weren't so intensely keen on getting people cancelled and ruined for just one verbal gaffe. Here is the American President making an enormous racist gaffe, live on TV, and suddenly it doesn't really matter, or, even worse, it doesn't matter because "he didn't actually say it, even tho we can all see and hear that he actually did say it."

Gaslights, gaslights, everywhere
    Hang on, aren't you trying to cancel him, while the Woke aren't that bothered?
    No, I'm not. See my comments passim. I would NOT cancel him. He's just a confused old man

That is the difference between us. You guys cancel. We account for the human condition, the crooked timber of humanity, because we are intrinsically nicer than you
    So when you say "you guys" cancel, who do you mean?. I haven't called for or supported anyone being cancelled. Neither does it spring to mind any one else amongst regular posters there.

You just seem to spout wild accusations from your fertile imagination inspired by the loonies corners of Twitter. It ain't the real world.
    TBF you are at the nicer, Christian end of the Wokeness spectrum, however prissy and purse lipped. But you're still on the spectrum. There is a Canceller lurking in your soul. I see it
    Well, I have posted tens of thousands of times here without calling for anyone to be cancelled, so I think that you are probably just in some sort of paranoid delusional state if you see yourself surrounded by Wokists calling for cancellation.

• Options

This thread has just been cancelled

• Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

YouGov 🌹Lab+8, 🌳Con-16
    Opinium 🌹Lab+6, 🌳Con-16

https://twitter.com/AdamRd1989/status/1457780064318222337?t=ahRAljpqCHBAtGgPUQIorQ&s=19

All bar one do put Starmer 20 points ahead of the point before he became leader, and that was 19 points. I am not particularly a fan, but quite some swing.
    I've recently backed Starmer to be next PM in a modest way. 5ish BF. If anything though he's been drifting.I don't really get why as surely Boris is in more trouble than he's ever been. Is there some view that Labour would use the opportunity of any Tory leadership change to switch too?

I'd really like to find a bet that focussed on the LD/Green race - perhaps "3rd party seatwise"? Would you 1000 on either the Tories or Labour? (Normally probably yes, but currently - not so sure)

The trouble with the next Prime Minister market is you need to factor in that Boris might be replaced before the next election, in which case the next Prime Minister will be a Conservative and not Keir Starmer. We've seen this when going from Cameron to May and from May to Boris. The worse the polls get for the blue team, the more likely it is that Boris will walk, and the more likely it is that backbenchers will send in their letters.
    That's the bit I love.

I was a bit wrong-footed by Maggie's departure. I suspect I'll not spot the signs again.

PS. Farooq, I need to offer you an apology. Some weeks ago I concluded that you were some sort of a Chinese infiltrator or other. I'm pretty sure I was wrong though. I'm not sure you're quite what you seem, but hey, who is!
    I assure you I'm sincere in my beliefs, and if anyone cares to have a summary of them (I feel my audience at this point wouldn't fill a phone box), it's that we do best as a country when we don't go lurching suddenly off on some mad scheme, when we look after each other, when we preserve our freedoms and stick up for those in the world who want to preserve and win their own. But not at any old price: sometimes we're best to leave well alone. Capitalism is best but turns sour with large wealth inequalities, and we need the odd dose of social democracy to keep us honest. I have fairly wide parameters to what I think acceptable governance looks like, and I think probably 500+ of our MPs are good people. Boris Johnson isn't one of them, and probably has never been a good person in all his wretched life. He's a selfish, dangerous bastard, but even he gets some things right.

I don't have a lot of interest in China. I know their sabre rattling of Taiwan is wrong and their human rights is abysmal, but I also think their leadership has a streak of civilisation through it and they have a path to a better place without us throwing too much vinegar around. I'm much more worried by Russia's leadership, but all this comes from a fairly selfish point of view. I don't think China is really out to deliberately make my life worse, I'm just glad I don't live there. Putin, on the other hand, wants all of us to suffer. We need to watch China, but on Putin, we need to act.

If you know of anyone who is willing to pay for me to spout off on any of the above, I'll gladly take the cash. As long as I'm paid to give my own opinion and not someone else's, I'll happily be an infiltrator.

It may be a result of our travels to Asia, Australia and New Zealand in the years our eldest son lived in Christchurch 2003 - 2015 and it does provide a different view of the world and that Europe, while important, is not the whole story

On Putin I am genuinely interested in what steps we should take or as you say act
    I won't set down in writing what I think should happen with Putin. Let's just say it's very, very hawkish.
    He's been involved with killing innocent people to help send surges of refugees towards Europe with the express aim of sowing division within Europe. Many of those refugees die. I regard this as functionally the same as sending suicide bombers out on terrorist missions. He's using vulnerable people to achieve a political aim that is itself pretty debased. Whilst Putin is around, everything is a negative sum game, and he's beyond the reach of international justice. The question is, what options does that leave us?
    I can think of precisely three options, and one of them is to give up and let him win. That is my third choice. I'll leave it to your imaginings as to what the other two could be.
    I am no fan of Putin but this is an odd explanation of the Syrian Civil War, which is what I think you are talking about. Surely the Russians just saw an opportunity to have influence in the region, by backing the secular Assad regime; when the west descended in to confusion and disarray. It seems like there would be a refugee problem whatever happened. I don't see how what he has done is much different to the US in the post war era.

The Putin regime requires containment, and an acceptance that this is going to require resources and co-operation for decades; but this is not obviously going to happen.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    darkage said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Farooq said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

YouGov 🌹Lab+8, 🌳Con-16
    Opinium 🌹Lab+6, 🌳Con-16

That's the bit I love.

I am no fan of Putin but this is an odd explanation of the Syrian Civil War, which is what I think you are talking about. Surely the Russians just saw an opportunity to have influence in the region, by backing the secular Assad regime; when the west descended in to confusion and disarray. It seems like there would be a refugee problem whatever happened. I don't see how what he has done is much different to the US in the post war era.

The Putin regime requires containment, and an acceptance that this is going to require resources and co-operation for decades; but this is not obviously going to happen.
    I wasn't seeking to explain the Syrian Civil War, just pointing to some of Russia actions within its context. Putin is a clever opportunist with a malign heart.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The Welsh are savages.

Pupils whose meal accounts are more than a penny in debt at a school will be left without food at lunchtime.

The severe warning was issued in a letter to parents sent by Neil Foden – the strategic head of Ysgol Dyffryn Nantlle in Penygroes, Gwynedd – as part of an approach recommended by the local council.

The ultimatum said the school cook had been instructed not to give food to any pupil ‘if their debt has not been cleared, or, in the future, to children whose accounts do not have enough money to pay for lunch’.

A deadline of November 19 has been set for parents to get their children’s accounts up to date.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/11/wales-head-refuses-to-feed-kids-more-than-a-penny-in-debt-to-school-15582048/

What on earth is a 'Strategic Headteacher', and do they have tactical ones as well?
    There are strategic, tactical, and operational head teachers.

The strategic ones I believe not only look at issues for the school but as part of the wider area.
    Ah, showing my age!
    Lloyds Mayfair Banking have recently given me a Strategic Private Banking Manager as well as a regular Private Banking Manager.
    Oh, you is definitely "working class" :lol:
    Well, he does bank with Lloyds...
    Well I had to leave Coutts, shocking service.

Honestly opening a new bank account these days is so much hassle.

I hope to one day sign up with C. Hoare and Co, just so I can say out loud 'My bankers are Hoares'.
    Err… I think you need to be introduced by someone who will vouch for your upstanding character?
This discussion has been closed.