Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Johnson slumps to worst ever Ipsos rating while LAB take lead – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What's also interesting is that the EU are showing just how limited their range of retaliatory measures are. That the only one they can come up with is cancelling the TCA or more border pedantry is extremely telling. There's zero room for the EU to retaliate within the TCA and they know it.

The problem with bluffing is it leaves you next to nowhere to go when you get called.

The problem with bluffing repeatedly is it makes it more likely people can pick up your tells.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,007
    MaxPB said:

What's also interesting is that the EU are showing just how limited their range of retaliatory measures are. That the only one they can come up with is cancelling the TCA or more border pedantry is extremely telling. There's zero room for the EU to retaliate within the TCA and they know it.

They can throw us out/prevent us re-entering Horizon, Copernicus etc

That would be painful
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

The Green vote in this poll is fascinating. It should worry both Labour and the Tories. Labour should be concerned it is sticky and will not be won back during a GE campaign. The Tories should be even more concerned about the opposite.

My guess is it will make very little difference.

From what I can tell most Green voters in recent opinion polls are young, liberal, metropolitan types. I think they would be concentrated in seats like Bristol West, Sheffield Central, Streatham, etc. Labour could lose 10,000 votes to the Greens in each of those seats and the only effect would be to improve their vote distribution.

So if the Greens are high in the polls then I'd expect Labour to outperform UNS, but these Green voters aren't really going to help them in the seats that they've lost to the Tories in recent general elections.
    I haven’t seen the poll tans but three scenarios off the top of my head.

First, the poll is shite. The idea that Greens would switch directly from the Tories makes no sense. Possible but unlikely and the poll fits in with other Con scores.

Second, Con voters have switched to the Greens but mainly a cause of both the Paterson issue and the relentless COP26 coverage and related articles. I’d imagine these would be wealthier Tories (mainly who votes Remain) in traditional, HC Con seats. This is actually quite positive for BJ as (1) he can put out some Green policies to win them back (2) they will probably head back to the Tories when things die down and (3) they split the opposition in seats where the LD is second. Conversely, this would be bad for the LDs for obvious reasons.

Third, it’s the iceberg effect where the overall score is hiding a big shift of Labour urban professional voters moving to the Greens but compensated with Red Wall voters switching from Tory to Labour. Obviously the best for Labour and most problematic for BJ.

Take your pick.
    It seems incredible that after a week or so of bad headlines for the Conservatives, they lose 5 points to the Greens whilst Labour are unchanged. Strange times
    Because Labour are still uninspiring and the water companies are pumping pure shit into our rivers

Honestly, reading about this pollution brings out MY inner Green and I might vote for them myself. It is hideous. So I can see why others are feeling similar. Also COP of course
    The Green Party are even more woke than Labour
  • Options

I see @Philip_Thompson is in full armchair general trade expert mode.

We've had a good four plus years of this now, so the arguments are well worn.
    In your mind perhaps
  • Options

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

The Green vote in this poll is fascinating. It should worry both Labour and the Tories. Labour should be concerned it is sticky and will not be won back during a GE campaign. The Tories should be even more concerned about the opposite.

From what I can tell most Green voters in recent opinion polls are young, liberal, metropolitan types. I think they would be concentrated in seats like Bristol West, Sheffield Central, Streatham, etc. Labour could lose 10,000 votes to the Greens in each of those seats and the only effect would be to improve their vote distribution.

So if the Greens are high in the polls then I'd expect Labour to outperform UNS, but these Green voters aren't really going to help them in the seats that they've lost to the Tories in recent general elections.

First, the poll is shite. The idea that Greens would switch directly from the Tories makes no sense. Possible but unlikely and the poll fits in with other Con scores.

Second, Con voters have switched to the Greens but mainly a cause of both the Paterson issue and the relentless COP26 coverage and related articles. I’d imagine these would be wealthier Tories (mainly who votes Remain) in traditional, HC Con seats. This is actually quite positive for BJ as (1) he can put out some Green policies to win them back (2) they will probably head back to the Tories when things die down and (3) they split the opposition in seats where the LD is second. Conversely, this would be bad for the LDs for obvious reasons.

Third, it’s the iceberg effect where the overall score is hiding a big shift of Labour urban professional voters moving to the Greens but compensated with Red Wall voters switching from Tory to Labour. Obviously the best for Labour and most problematic for BJ.

Take your pick.
    It seems incredible that after a week or so of bad headlines for the Conservatives, they lose 5 points to the Greens whilst Labour are unchanged. Strange times
    Because Labour are still uninspiring and the water companies are pumping pure shit into our rivers

Honestly, reading about this pollution brings out MY inner Green and I might vote for them myself. It is hideous. So I can see why others are feeling similar. Also COP of course
    Possibly. I have voted for them in the past.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Mark Penn on Dem's woes:

"After the 1994 congressional elections, Bill Clinton reoriented his administration to the center and saved his presidency. Mr. Biden should follow his lead, listen to centrists, push back on the left and reorient his policies to address the mounting economic issues people are facing."

"Senator Joe Manchin and Senator Kyrsten Sinema are not outliers in the Democratic Party — they are in fact the very heart of the Democratic Party, given that 53 percent of Democrats classify themselves as moderates or conservative. While Democrats support the Build Back Better initiative, 60 percent of Democrats (and 65 percent of the country) support the efforts of these moderates to rein it in. It’s Mr. Sanders from Vermont and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez from New York who represent areas ideologically far from the mainstream of America."

NYTimes

The" support reigning it in" figure comes from polling i would come close to prepending with "push" when describing it.

Sinena has hemorage support amongst Dems and Independents with her stance that involved at one point going against her campaign promises on Medicaid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Maybe you can ask them their thoughts and feelings regarding Tony Blair ;)

Nice meeting you last week btw :)
  • Options

In your mind perhaps
    Well, yes. In my mind the endgame of this was always fairly clear: the UK holds all the cards and the EU are bluffing.

It was always the case, the problem was that Robbins and May were not prepared to risk no deal, so the bluff was working.

Since Frost and Boris took over, the table has been turned.

Nothing has changed in four years in the dynamics, except the UK grew a backbone once May was ousted.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,162
    Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

The sheer political incompetence of Patergate is what disturbs me most.

Boris is meant to have decent instincts, a kind of cunning. Completely absent here. He needs much much better advisors (not Carrie) who can stand up to him. He needs a new Dom

Boris has never had decent political instincts - for the past 18 months he's usually left things until only 1 decision remains.

What he used to have were people around him who made the decisions before they got near Boris so he was presented with the final decision to announce. And Boris now seems to have lost those people.
    That's what I meant, but possibly phrased it badly. He has good instincts when it comes to hiring, so he often gets good advice. That has stopped
    It's our old friend hubris. Johnson's gotten away with murder so often he thinks he always can. Crank in a somewhat but not completely relevant comparison? Yes ok. Blair. Triumph in NI. The Balkans. Sierra Leone. Britain loves him. America loves him. Everybody loves him except Gordon Brown and Jeremy Corbyn. He gets to thinking his judgment is impeccable and he can persuade anybody of anything. Iraq.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

That would be painful
    I think that's true, but at the same time the EU thought they were the only game in town previously and suddenly they were dealing with AUKUS. They're actions are predicated on the UK standing still, which we know won't be the case. The UK has got more top research institutions than the rest of the EU put together, by some distance too. How long would it take for the UK to come up with a new joint scientific research partnership with Australia, Canada, Japan and others? My guess is within a few months and once again the EU finds itself out in the cold. It's self-defeating strategy IMO. They've done it a few times already and not really learned the lesson.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

MaxPB said:

IIRC my chats with pollsters about 50-75% of this fieldwork would have been conducted before the Owen Paterson farrago, so it could have been much worse for the Tories and the PM.

Yes, the Tories could be down to the low 30s soon. This has irritated people that would normally be pretty solid Tory voters.

Paraphrasing one of my banker friends "not only do they want to tax us into poverty, they want to shovel the money to their donors". It's hurting the party's reputation for boring competence a lot.

The free holidays are also getting a lot more attention than I would have thought too.

What has really hurt the most though is defending Paterson. It is the most obvious case of lobbying misconduct that even the most uninitiated can see he got paid then Randox got paid. It being Randox also doesn't help because millions of people have paid £50-80 for day 2 tests with them. The connection between that money they've spent with Randox and the Tory party giving them a contract has been made.
    Yes, and the investigation into Paterson was all about issues that predated Covid. So Randox getting huge contracts for Covid testing hasn't come under much scrutiny yet, although it will. Paterson apparently had discussions with Lord Bethell, Health Minister in the HoL. Randox's contracts were awarded without tendering. It stinks to me.
    I don’t know anything about Patterson’s conversations

But Randox is a large and very well regarded UK Dx company. They were a very logical choice for a supplier. And there was no ducking way you could run a full ordinary course tender process in the middle of a pandemic. You needed stuff and you needed it fast.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,938
    IanB2 said:
    Does is note that:

(a) Sweden had a much worse experience than its near neighbors with similar demographics
    (b) that Sweden actually did end up with very similar policies to everywhere else
    And
    (c) that most Swedes feel their covid response was a relative failure
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

That would be painful
    I think that's true, but at the same time the EU thought they were the only game in town previously and suddenly they were dealing with AUKUS. They're actions are predicated on the UK standing still, which we know won't be the case. The UK has got more top research institutions than the rest of the EU put together, by some distance too. How long would it take for the UK to come up with a new joint scientific research partnership with Australia, Canada, Japan and others? My guess is within a few months and once again the EU finds itself out in the cold. It's self-defeating strategy IMO. They've done it a few times already and not really learned the lesson.
    What top universities are there in the EU?

The EU may be a red tape "regulatory" superpower in their own minds, but our universities outclass them as do those in the USA, Aus, Canada, Japan and increasingly China and more.

If the EU want to lock the door and close the curtains they can be as insular as they like. But we're not the ones who will be struggling.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

IIRC my chats with pollsters about 50-75% of this fieldwork would have been conducted before the Owen Paterson farrago, so it could have been much worse for the Tories and the PM.

Yes, the Tories could be down to the low 30s soon. This has irritated people that would normally be pretty solid Tory voters.

Paraphrasing one of my banker friends "not only do they want to tax us into poverty, they want to shovel the money to their donors". It's hurting the party's reputation for boring competence a lot.

The free holidays are also getting a lot more attention than I would have thought too.

What has really hurt the most though is defending Paterson. It is the most obvious case of lobbying misconduct that even the most uninitiated can see he got paid then Randox got paid. It being Randox also doesn't help because millions of people have paid £50-80 for day 2 tests with them. The connection between that money they've spent with Randox and the Tory party giving them a contract has been made.
    Yes, and the investigation into Paterson was all about issues that predated Covid. So Randox getting huge contracts for Covid testing hasn't come under much scrutiny yet, although it will. Paterson apparently had discussions with Lord Bethell, Health Minister in the HoL. Randox's contracts were awarded without tendering. It stinks to me.

But Randox is a large and very well regarded UK Dx company. They were a very logical choice for a supplier. And there was no ducking way you could run a full ordinary course tender process in the middle of a pandemic. You needed stuff and you needed it fast.
    :D:D
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

So it's cutting through. What a relief! If these latest BoJo antics had been shrugged off by the public we'd be in a dark place indeed. The key thing now is for the story not to slide into "what a shower, they're all at it" territory, ie the corrosive notion of MPs generally being "all the same" and "in it for themselves" with "snouts in the trough" etc etc. That helps nobody and neither is it true. Fact is, they're not all at it, Owen Paterson was at it, and he was caught bang to rights by a perfectly good standards & disciplinary system, which Johnson sought to abolish because he fears scrutiny. That's the scandal, and it's about to be burnished by Covid cash and contracts for mates. We need to keep the focus there. Not sleaze, but Tory sleaze, Government sleaze, Johnson sleaze. Where sleaze = mendacity + corruption.

Not sure that - if it really took 18months or more - that it is a good system. Justice delayed is justice denied or whatever the cliche is. But that’s not to suggest Paterson should have been let off.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited November 2021
    Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

A certain type of upper middle class, wealthy and educated moderate Conservative in London or the South could vote LD or Green but would never, ever even consider voting Labour.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    edited November 2021
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

But as well you know, a good story can override facts to the extent that the truth just wouldn't be believed regardless of the evidence.

Randox paying Tory MPs £00,000s as they got the Covid Travel testing contract could easily be a story that is hard to deny even if it's not the whole picture...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,949
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

A certain type of upper middle class, wealthy and educated moderate Conservative in London or the South could vote LD or Green but would never, ever even consider voting Labour.

Um 1997 called round, offering you it's history book.
  • Options
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

That may well be true but I can tell you now that the perception here among voters is that the Tory party gave Randox a licence to rip us off with day 2 tests. That was already damaging, now it transpires that one of their MPs was on the take and worse still the PM personally intervened to protect said MP from being punished for being on the take from the company that rips us all off.

Already I've heard people say that it must have been Randox that came up with this idiotic travel testing system and paid the Tory party to put it in place.
  • Options

In your mind perhaps
    Well, yes. In my mind the endgame of this was always fairly clear: the UK holds all the cards and the EU are bluffing.

It was always the case, the problem was that Robbins and May were not prepared to risk no deal, so the bluff was working.

Nothing has changed in four years in the dynamics, except the UK grew a backbone once May was ousted.
    You mean Johnson had the "backbone" to deliberately negotiate something to win an election, which he was willing to throw in the fire as soon as he started counting his majority?

I'm not sure how we have all the cards btw. In any future trade war initiated by Johnson the EU will just slap tariffs on, reducing UK trade even more. You think our economy is strong enough?
  • Options
    Obama blaming the rise of nationalism across the world for less global cooperation on the environment at a speech in Scotland couldn’t be more fitting #COP26

https://twitter.com/ryancapperauld/status/1457744677340393476?s=20
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,912
    IanB2 said:
    Saying Sweden might have had the right idea was an invitation to be laughed at on here last year. Is this article wrong?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:
    Does is note that:

(a) Sweden had a much worse experience than its near neighbors with similar demographics
    (b) that Sweden actually did end up with very similar policies to everywhere else
    And
    (c) that most Swedes feel their covid response was a relative failure
    Also does it discuss the phantom 3rd wave where cases and ICU admission surged to 2nd wave levels but deaths were massively lower? That i woud be interested to read about.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

ping said:

Well well.

I thought it would be a few more months before we saw consistent labour leads (certainly by May next year, when the cost of living crisis really kick in).

I guess the lesson is not to underestimate Boris’ incompetence.

I expect this week (or perhaps next, after COP26 winds up) we’ll get displacement activity. Which means pouring fuel on the brexit fire. It might work.

At work we have upgraded our estimation of a UK recession to severe in 2023 if the NI issue escalates.

We trigger Article XVI and the EU responds with their own escalation.
    Aren't the EU very restricted in what they can (legally*) do were we to trigger Article XVI

*this doesn't mean the French won't do stupid things at their borders mainly because they are the French and just can.
    No.

The prospect of a trade war between the UK and the EU has edged closer, with Ireland giving the clearest hint yet that Brussels plans to suspend the entire trade deal struck last December if the British government suspends the Northern Ireland Brexit protocol.

The Irish foreign minister, Simon Coveney, accused the UK of “deliberately forcing a breakdown” in negotiations over Northern Ireland, adding that there was still time to step back from the brink.

“The trade and cooperation agreement that was agreed between the British government and the EU was contingent on the implementation of the withdrawal agreement, which includes the protocol.

“One is contingent on the other, and so if one has been set aside, there is a danger that the other will also be set aside by the EU,” he told RTE on Sunday.

His comments confirm speculation that the EU will not dwell on its options if the UK triggers article 16 of the Northern Ireland protocol, but will instead deploy measures in the wider Brexit withdrawal agreement that allow cross-retaliation.

The EU would have to serve the UK with 12 months’ notice, but it would have a devastating impact on British business, industry leaders warned. Shane Brennan, head of the Cold Chain Federation, said businesses would be “sacrificed” with “a near prohibition on UK food exports”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/07/eu-could-shelve-brexit-trade-deal-if-uk-triggers-article-16-irish-minister-warns
    They're bluffing.

Why would you take what an Irish minister says seriously?
    Sounds like you're girding your loins again, Philip, with this Art 16 business, but I fear you'll be disappointed. The bluff - as with No Deal Brexit - is on our side. Johnson/Frost are blowharding. We won't trigger Art 16. It's possible I'm wrong, applying the same logic which worked before to something which no longer suits, but I don't think so. I hope we get a 'yes/no' betfair market on this with 'no' at a backable price in which case I'll be doing it.
    The EU were bluffing over governance and their bluff was called and the TCA allows divergence in a way we were told wasn't possible.

The EU were bluffing over NI and their bluff was called and the NI Protocol includes Article 16 and a unilateral exit which we were told wasn't possible.

Since Frost and Boris replaced Robbins and May, the EU's bluffs keep getting called. But if you wish to think that this time will be different, then in the words of Angela Lansbury - be our guest.
    Strong powerful country we are, headed by strong powerful men!

Anyway, my prediction is made. We'll see. I could be wrong but it's been a while tbf.
  • Options
    I am staggered that people would send £300K to someone they had never even met. What are they thinking?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59135689
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,186
    Charles said:

MaxPB said:

If Randox is such a large, well-regarded company and the logical choice for a supplier, why would it need to pay so much money to a backbencher? Randox was paying for something? What was it?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,533
    Watching this afternoon's debate on standards.

The opposition benches are packed, but there's not many MPs on the Tory benches - looks like they've voted with their feet. I wonder why?
  • Options
    Fascinating and alrming thread by a German dude who has modelled likely Covid outcomes there

I have no firm idea if he is talking sense but he seems well-informed. He reckons Germany is facing a nightmare scenario unless they impose new restrictions very soon AND start vaccinating the refuseniks immediately

https://twitter.com/dpaessler/status/1457447483332874244?s=20

One of his mid-range scenarios:

"In total, there would be around 70,000 deaths after November 1, 2021 and at times over 2 million Long Covid patients."

The Doomsday Szenarien is off the charts
  • Options
    The Doomsday Szenarien in figures

"Unrestrained passage would be completed at the end of January, then the virus will no longer find any infectious unvaccinated or vaccinated people. Until then > 250,000 people died. Nobody wants to imagine the situation in the health system with 150,000 hospitalizations per week."
  • Options
    Boris and Blackford both phoned the Speaker saying they would not be able to attend due to commitments
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

That would be painful

The EU may be a red tape "regulatory" superpower in their own minds, but our universities outclass them as do those in the USA, Aus, Canada, Japan and increasingly China and more.

If the EU want to lock the door and close the curtains they can be as insular as they like. But we're not the ones who will be struggling.
    Karolinska, ETH Zurich, I think there's a couple of French ones and an Italian one. The list is pretty small. I'd imagine if the UK founded a globally facing research funding programme that Switzerland would dump Horizon and join up with the UK, it's seen as fairly poor value for money for them.

What's also unremarked is that the UK is paying for about 20% of the horizon programme and has real expertise that can't be replicated. So the decision to not allow us in probably hurts both sides, but the difference will be that we have options. They can't magic up another Imperial or Cambridge and put it in Germany.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

I suspect that was due to Blair being a pseudo tory, and Major cocking up the economy in 1992 threatening interest rates, and all the SLEAZE that was around then.

i wonder if people care about sleaze anymore...
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

I am staggered that people would send £300K to someone they had never even met. What are they thinking?

In total. As with many other scams, people get in too deep.
  • Options
    Steve Barclay has just apologised on behalf of the HMG
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Even then it was more the lower middle class and skilled working class who went Labour and most of those swing voters are still backing the Tories under Boris as well as plenty of those from the Redwall who voted for Blair and Kinnock in 1992 then but voted for Boris in 2019 being Leavers who wanted Brexit done.

Wealthy upper middle class areas like Oxford West and Abingdon, Richmond Park, Cheltenham, Kingston Upon Thames, Twickenham, Harrogate, Bath, Lewes, Winchester etc went LD in 1997 if the Tories lost them, not Labour. They have been joined by the wealthy, graduate filled seat of Brighton Pavilion which voted for Cameron in 2010 but now has a Green MP. Here in Epping Forest wealthy Buckhurst Hill has 2 Green district councillors and a Green Parish Council.

Those wealthy generally Remain areas will more likely go LD or Green than Labour
  • Options

Boris and Blackford both phoned the Speaker saying they would not be able to attend due to commitments

I use that old chestnut all the time too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Even then it was more the lower middle class and skilled working class who went Labour and most of those swing voters are still backing the Tories under Boris as well as plenty of those who voted for Blair then but voted for Boris in 2019.

Upper middle class areas like Oxford West and Abingdon, Richmond Park, Cheltenham, Kingston Upon Thames, Harrogate, Bath, Lewes, Winchester etc went LD in 1997 not Labour. They have been joined by wealthy, graduate filled seats like Brighton Pavilion which voted for Cameron in 2010 but now has a Green MP. Here in Epping Forest wealthy Buckhurst Hill has 2 Green district councillors and a Green Parish Council
    Sunderland has Green councillors
  • Options

I use that old chestnut all the time too
    Yes but Blackford not attending is surprising
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,878
    Cabinet minister Steve Barclay says he wants to "express my regret" and that of other ministers, over the govt's standards plan last week.
    So is this the real reason @BorisJohnson isn't here? He didn't want to make that apology in person...?

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1457746898236940289
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Leon said:

The sheer political incompetence of Patergate is what disturbs me most.

Boris is meant to have decent instincts, a kind of cunning. Completely absent here. He needs much much better advisors (not Carrie) who can stand up to him. He needs a new Dom

Boris has never had decent political instincts - for the past 18 months he's usually left things until only 1 decision remains.

What he used to have were people around him who made the decisions before they got near Boris so he was presented with the final decision to announce. And Boris now seems to have lost those people.
    That's what I meant, but possibly phrased it badly. He has good instincts when it comes to hiring, so he often gets good advice. That has stopped
    It's our old friend hubris. Johnson's gotten away with murder so often he thinks he always can. Crank in a somewhat but not completely relevant comparison? Yes ok. Blair. Triumph in NI. The Balkans. Sierra Leone. Britain loves him. America loves him. Everybody loves him except Gordon Brown and Jeremy Corbyn. He gets to thinking his judgment is impeccable and he can persuade anybody of anything. Iraq.
    Yes, agreed

I don't think Johnson is personally corrupt - as in, a man on the take, trying to siphon off public funds, build a huge platinum castle in Dorset etc etc

That's not his style. He rides a bicycle. Financial gain does not pleasure him.

But he does like to think he can break the rules and he also finds those rules irritating and restricting - "why the F do we have to do this, can't we do it another way". He's constitutionally a rebel and he thinks he can busk his way through anything.

It brings him close to disaster but it can also brings political triumphs. At the moment he is closer to disaster than triumph
  • Options
    Steve Barclay doing well in the circumstances
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,939
    AlistairM said:
    Every time I read a covid update from NZ, I'm reminded of a tweet in 2020 that went something along the lines of:

"Jacinda Ardern has raised the alert level nationwide, leading to the closure of all of New Zealand's schools and both of its pubs."
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Take your pick.
    You needn't have bothered with 2. It isn't that. And I agree 1 is unlikely. So it's 3. Labour are leaking left to the Greens and pulling in from the centre. This is the exact dynamic needed to GTTO at the GE. Things are looking up for SKS and looking just a little bit concerning for MMM.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964

Watching this afternoon's debate on standards.

The opposition benches are packed, but there's not many MPs on the Tory benches - looks like they've voted with their feet. I wonder why?

Well, one wouldn't expect supporters of the current PM Ito have much interest in morality or honourable behaviour, would one?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Even then it was more the lower middle class and skilled working class who went Labour and most of those swing voters are still backing the Tories under Boris as well as plenty of those who voted for Blair then but voted for Boris in 2019.

Upper middle class areas like Oxford West and Abingdon, Richmond Park, Cheltenham, Kingston Upon Thames, Harrogate, Bath, Lewes, Winchester etc went LD in 1997 not Labour. They have been joined by wealthy, graduate filled seats like Brighton Pavilion which voted for Cameron in 2010 but now has a Green MP. Here in Epping Forest wealthy Buckhurst Hill has 2 Green district councillors and a Green Parish Council
    Sunderland also still has a majority of Labour councillors, the Green vote there is mainly from leftwing students and public sector workers, not posh Remain Tories like down South
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,964

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Used to be the colour used by Labour IIRC. Back in the 50's.
  • Options
    It does look like Steve Barclay's apology on HMG has defused the matter somewhat
  • Options
    Wwll done Mike but it's Patterson not Pattison
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Sunderland also still has a majority of Labour councillors, the Green vote there is mainly from leftwing students and public sector workers, not posh Remain Tories like down South
    How do you know?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

MaxPB said:

If Randox is such a large, well-regarded company and the logical choice for a supplier, why would it need to pay so much money to a backbencher? Randox was paying for something? What was it?
    I booked Randox (prior to Patergate, I hasten to add) for my compulsory test on landing from Spain. The instructions were useless. The guidance was wrong. The packaging was near impossible to handle. It was unclear how to return the test. Apart from that, it was excellent in every way.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    edited November 2021
    Now all SKS's Labour has to do is come out with and an ideology.
  • Options

No it's not!!!

It's Paterson. One T.

Pour A Tempranillo, Eat Reblochon, Says Owen Nightly.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,538
    Leon said:

Fascinating and alrming thread by a German dude who has modelled likely Covid outcomes there

I have no firm idea if he is talking sense but he seems well-informed. He reckons Germany is facing a nightmare scenario unless they impose new restrictions very soon AND start vaccinating the refuseniks immediately

"In total, there would be around 70,000 deaths after November 1, 2021 and at times over 2 million Long Covid patients."

The question is why their already draconian restrictions don't seem to be working compared to, say, England where things aren't so strict.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Labour vote went up by 1.9M in 1997 compared with 1992. It didn't all come from the LibDems whose vote went down by 0.8m. Some must have come from Tories.

But the Tory vote was down by 4.5M from 14.1m in 1992 to 9.6m in 1997. So nearly a third of Tory voters sat on their hands (or voted Labour). I think this is how the Tories will lose the next election. Tory sit-at-homes. Can't bring themselves to vote for this government under Johnson.

Interestingly the Tories have started canvassing in Barnes for the Locals next May. On their leaflet, one of the reasons given for backing the Tories is "We are local residents, not national politicians." They can see the danger of being associated with Johnson's government.
  • Options
    The Uni of Washington's Covid model is also predicting nasty winter waves in northern, central and eastern Europe

eg Poland

https://covid19.healthdata.org/poland?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

Projected 190,000 deaths by March 1, 2022
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,463
    edited November 2021
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

That would be painful

Karolinska, ETH Zurich, I think there's a couple of French ones and an Italian one. The list is pretty small. I'd imagine if the UK founded a globally facing research funding programme that Switzerland would dump Horizon and join up with the UK, it's seen as fairly poor value for money for them.

What's also unremarked is that the UK is paying for about 20% of the horizon programme and has real expertise that can't be replicated. So the decision to not allow us in probably hurts both sides, but the difference will be that we have options. They can't magic up another Imperial or Cambridge and put it in Germany.
    Zurich is not in the EU; I am not sure whether Ch is yet back in Horizon, or if they are still defenestrated.

AIUI we are in, as an Associate.

But Brussels is sitting on actually getting things started, using it as a lever on the NIP.

https://www.ukri.org/our-work/collaborating-internationally/working-on-eu-funded-projects/
    https://sciencebusiness.net/news/anxiety-grows-over-lengthening-delay-formalising-uk-membership-horizon-europe
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Labour vote went up by 1.9M in 1997 compared with 1992. It didn't all come from the LibDems whose vote went down by 0.8m. Some must have come from Tories.

But the Tory vote was down by 4.5M from 14.1m in 1992 to 9.6m in 1997. So nearly a third of Tory voters sat on their hands (or voted Labour). I think this is how the Tories will lose the next election. Tory sit-at-homes. Can't bring themselves to vote for this government under Johnson.

Interestingly the Tories have started canvassing in Barnes for the Locals next May. On their leaflet, one of the reasons given for backing the Tories is "We are local residents, not national politicians." They can see the danger of being associated with Johnson's government.
    Local residents = born in a Barnes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

The question is why their already draconian restrictions don't seem to be working compared to, say, England where things aren't so strict.
    Do they have draconian restrictions? They don't have widespread vaxports yet, unlike most other European countries.

I presume they are in trouble now because they DID have restrictions for longer, so they are getting the next wave as we go into winter, even as immunity declines from the vaccines, plus they have a lot of vax refusal in certain areas and with old people
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Alistair said:

Mark Penn on Dem's woes:

"After the 1994 congressional elections, Bill Clinton reoriented his administration to the center and saved his presidency. Mr. Biden should follow his lead, listen to centrists, push back on the left and reorient his policies to address the mounting economic issues people are facing."

"Senator Joe Manchin and Senator Kyrsten Sinema are not outliers in the Democratic Party — they are in fact the very heart of the Democratic Party, given that 53 percent of Democrats classify themselves as moderates or conservative. While Democrats support the Build Back Better initiative, 60 percent of Democrats (and 65 percent of the country) support the efforts of these moderates to rein it in. It’s Mr. Sanders from Vermont and Ms. Ocasio-Cortez from New York who represent areas ideologically far from the mainstream of America."

NYTimes

The" support reigning it in" figure comes from polling i would come close to prepending with "push" when describing it.

Sinena has hemorage support amongst Dems and Independents with her stance that involved at one point going against her campaign promises on Medicaid.
    REINING
  • Options
    edited November 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

How do you know?
    Demographics, compare average house price and income and wage levels in Sunderland to areas with Green councillors in the South.

In the North Green councillors tend to represent wards in university cities, that is not always the case in the South, plenty of London commuter belt wards though have Green councillors
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

They have one. GTTO. It's deep, profound, sharply delineated, taught at all the best places.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Uni of Washington's Covid model is also predicting nasty winter waves in northern, central and eastern Europe

eg Poland

https://covid19.healthdata.org/poland?view=cumulative-deaths&tab=trend

Projected 190,000 deaths by March 1, 2022

Their numbers for the UK are laughable and the masks/no masks thing just seems really, really outdated given that vaccines exist now and are the first line of defence.
  • Options
    Sir K being heard in near silence as he takes on Johnson's corruption.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,324
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

They voted Tony instead of Tory.

Which in CorbynWorld, meant they voted TraitorScumTory.
  • Options
    Another interesting nugget from today's @IpsosMORI / Standard polling. Sharp rise in those thinking the govt are handling COVID badly. Similar figures to those seen last winter now. Remember it was last October when we had our last Labour lead too.

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1457749101710299137?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Used to be the colour used by Labour IIRC. Back in the 50's.
    Go back far enough and every colour has been used by the Tories at one time or another.
  • Options

If Boris does not learn and quickly his mps will and Boris's Premiership ends
  • Options
    Leon said:

Blimey! Another 70,000 deaths would put Germany on 1968 deaths per million population. That's almost as bad as the UK's 2074 deaths per million. Presumably he regards the UK as already beyond the doomsday scenario.
  • Options

If there is one lesson the Tories ought to have cynically learnt from the last 11 years is that getting rid of your leader is very good at wiping the electorate's memory. If Boris goes and, say, a Rishi comes in then Boris and his antics will likely be quickly forgotten. Particularly if the new government is sensible in denouncing anything that went on before was nothing to do with them.
  • Options
    Charles said:

kinabalu said:

So it's cutting through. What a relief! If these latest BoJo antics had been shrugged off by the public we'd be in a dark place indeed. The key thing now is for the story not to slide into "what a shower, they're all at it" territory, ie the corrosive notion of MPs generally being "all the same" and "in it for themselves" with "snouts in the trough" etc etc. That helps nobody and neither is it true. Fact is, they're not all at it, Owen Paterson was at it, and he was caught bang to rights by a perfectly good standards & disciplinary system, which Johnson sought to abolish because he fears scrutiny. That's the scandal, and it's about to be burnished by Covid cash and contracts for mates. We need to keep the focus there. Not sleaze, but Tory sleaze, Government sleaze, Johnson sleaze. Where sleaze = mendacity + corruption.

Not sure that - if it really took 18months or more - that it is a good system. Justice delayed is justice denied or whatever the cliche is. But that’s not to suggest Paterson should have been let off.
    I'm sure it can be improved but you know what I mean - it's hardly unfit for purpose and it's certainly not the main issue here.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

They have one. GTTO. It's deep, profound, sharply delineated, taught at all the best places.
    Disagree. All SKS and Labour have to do is convince everyone that they are pragmatic and not ideological apart from a bit more fairness on tax and similar. Any strong impression of identity politics, Tans rights extremism or being Woke and they will blow a golden opportunity.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Interesting selection of flags in Fabricant's office.

I think it's the Grand Union flag on the left, and is that the old South African flag between the Welsh flag and the Soviet Union flag?

Yes, it is. WTF is going on there? Surely this isn't real.
    I have the Hampshire County and Republic of California flags in my office…
  • Options
    edited November 2021

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

They voted Tony instead of Tory.

Which in CorbynWorld, meant they voted TraitorScumTory.
    C1s and C2s voted for Blair in 1997 and DEs voted Labour as they usually do.

However ABs still voted for Major and the only group the Tories have had a swing against them since 1997 in current polls in is ABs.

The posher you are generally the more you dislike Boris, even if you held your nose and voted for him in 2019 to keep Corbyn out
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

I'm more scared of SKS being PM than Boris. It won't work with me.

Although, living in Scotland, I would vote Lord Satan of the Satan Party Incorporated if I thought they were the best chance to kick out an SNP Type; So I may well end up voting Labour next GE.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    AlistairM said:

I wasn't sure before clicking whether this was a hapless online fraud victim, or a contrite Tory donor
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

If there is one lesson the Tories ought to have cynically learnt from the last 11 years is that getting rid of your leader is very good at wiping the electorate's memory. If Boris goes and, say, a Rishi comes in then Boris and his antics will likely be quickly forgotten. Particularly if the new government is sensible in denouncing anything that went on before was nothing to do with them.
    Must be more letters in Brady's little drawer than there were this time last week.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,410
    kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

Hmmm, GTTO?

https://www.abbreviations.com/GTTO says:
    1. German Transport and Trading Organization?
    2. Get the trolls out?
    3. Global Technology Transactions Organization?

Ah, no. 2 gives me clue to the intended meaning. Get the Trots out? And thus become electable? :tongue:
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,324
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.
    You needn't have bothered with 2. It isn't that. And I agree 1 is unlikely. So it's 3. Labour are leaking left to the Greens and pulling in from the centre. This is the exact dynamic needed to GTTO at the GE. Things are looking up for SKS and looking just a little bit concerning for MMM.
    I recall, a long while back, when there was a bit of Greengasm - did well in some local elections. Were getting support from some quite unusual quarters too, until the RedGreen politics got highlighted.

Think this was back in New Labour times?
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

It's a good thing to try, but there are a couple of caveats.

First, that would be the third time in a row that a PM elected at a GE was ditched before the next one (Cameron 2015, May 2017, Johnson 2019). There comes a point where replacing a failing PM transforms into taking the mickey and showing poor judgement by the party.

Second, there's nobody who is both party-acceptable who isn't compromised by working with BoJo.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,280
    re the Sweden article (thanks @IanB2). The first comment below the article references its near neighbours. So the fuck what? It seems likely that the outcomes in Sweden are not hugely dissimilar and perhaps better than comparable economies Europe-wide.

Meanwhile children went to school, and things were less dreadful freedom-wise than many other places.

Did they escape unscathed? No they didn't but they protected their flank, as it were, in terms of many for example mental health issues.

I loved this from one of the other comments: "Especially the UK, with its high rates of poverty, widespread social deprivation and a chronically underfunded health service, is not a good comparison."
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,410

Barnesian said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Take your pick.

Local residents = born in a Barnes.
    Great place to go canvassing. They never close the door in your face :wink:
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

Although, living in Scotland, I would vote Lord Satan of the Satan Party Incorporated if I thought they were the best chance to kick out an SNP Type; So I may well end up voting Labour next GE.
    "Satan opposes SNP!" isn't the headline you were looking for
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,646

No, no. Patieson.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Doomsday Szenarien in figures

"Unrestrained passage would be completed at the end of January, then the virus will no longer find any infectious unvaccinated or vaccinated people. Until then > 250,000 people died. Nobody wants to imagine the situation in the health system with 150,000 hospitalizations per week."

Have you discovered some sort of algorithm that selects this scary shit especially for you?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

Well, HYUFD is always telling us how important religion is in politics, so that would see Satan allied to the Church of England.

Edit: across the border, at least, the latter being the Tory Party at prayer and all that.
  • Options

AlistairM said:

It's a good thing to try, but there are a couple of caveats.

First, that would be the third time in a row that a PM elected at a GE was ditched before the next one (Cameron 2015, May 2017, Johnson 2019). There comes a point where replacing a failing PM transforms into taking the mickey and showing poor judgement by the party.

Second, there's nobody who is both party-acceptable who isn't compromised by working with BoJo.
    All true but they will pull it off if Labour let them.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

I made my point clear enough. We defeated left-wing nationalism in the 1940s - It's just a shame we have the exact same problem on our island today.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,339
    Leon said:

I'm a bit late to this but I have just caught up with the phenomenal rugby talent that is Marcus Smith

So I have spent almost an hour watching highlights on YouTube. The highlight of the highlights might be this near-unbelievable try for Quins against Wasps (voted the Try of the Season). But there are videos like this going back five years to his days as a sixth form prodigy

https://youtu.be/Cgp92QOmdcc

He can also tackle and kick and pass like a dream. England have potentially the best rugby player in the world

They do. He scores tries and makes them. He is a past master at the inside pass..
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,151
    Pulpstar said:

IFS - higher rate taxpayers can get UC in some cases.

"It is worth emphasising that this means that a worker, at least so long as they are not a member of a two-earner couple, can easily earn well above the average – indeed, even be a higher rate taxpayer – and still receive some UC "

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/15818

It's simply extraordinary that the taxpayer subsidises landlords of some higher rate taxpayers who have children (And any higher earning single parent UC will be down to mahoosive 'that there London' rents). How on earth have we ended up in that position ?
    There's a massive political opening to go after the rentier class. Labour's propaganda on the Left is massively out of date on this with the emphasis on the bosses, but there's potential to create temporary political unity between small business owners and workers on a political project to tilt power and wealth away from rentiers.

The only fly in the ointment is that many of the rentiers are from abroad, the money from China, Russia and the Gulf that funds our current account deficit.

But perhaps Covid has improved that situation and it wouldn't be so economically risky now to go after rentiers.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Leon said:

Blimey! Another 70,000 deaths would put Germany on 1968 deaths per million population. That's almost as bad as the UK's 2074 deaths per million. Presumably he regards the UK as already beyond the doomsday scenario.
    He doesn't reference the UK (tho many of the replies do)

And that's not his Doomsday Szenarien. In the worst case, he thinks Germany will suffer ANOTHER 250,000 deaths and possibly a collapsed health system

I have no idea if he is accurate, and it's worth pointing out a few things. eg He seems to be a bit of a doom-mongerer because in the replies he's got people saying "you predicted apocalypse last time and it never happened". And he's not an expert, as far as I can see, more a number crunching businessman.

Nonetheless it does look a bit hairy for Germany, at this point

https://twitter.com/dpaessler/status/1456939412445704192?s=20
  • Options

In your mind perhaps

You mean Johnson had the "backbone" to deliberately negotiate something to win an election, which he was willing to throw in the fire as soon as he started counting his majority?

I'm not sure how we have all the cards btw. In any future trade war initiated by Johnson the EU will just slap tariffs on, reducing UK trade even more. You think our economy is strong enough?
    Nothing is being thrown on the fire. The EU showed bad faith and refused to implement the agreed Trusted Trader scheme that would have eliminated 98% of NI checks, because of that we're in a position where Article 16 can be invoked. Article 16 of course is a part of the Protocol and not a breach of it.

As for our economy being strong enough, of course it is! But its not necessary anyway because the EU aren't going to do that, they're incapable of doing that. If there's going to be tariffs between the UK and the EU, and if the Protocol gets stripped away due to Article 16, then the EU would need to do tariffs at the EU/UK border in the island of Ireland. That is, a hard border between NI and Eire.

Are the EU going to do that? Are they going to build border posts and have tariffs between NI and the Republic? If not, then its a bluff and they have nothing.
  • Options
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    4m
    Starmer has fundamental problems with his leadership. But he’s in his element here. Best performance I’ve seen from him.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

kinabalu said:

JBriskin3 said:

I made my point clear enough. We defeated left-wing nationalism in the 1940s - It's just a shame we have the exact same problem on our island today.
    'defeated'? I thought the Soviets won, thumpingly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,254

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    4m
    Starmer has fundamental problems with his leadership. But he’s in his element here. Best performance I’ve seen from him.

On the PM "He is not a serious leader, and the joke isn't funny any more"
  • Options
    "The joke isn't funny anymore"

Ends Starmer.
  • Options
    RedfieldWilton

Conservative lead by 1 down from 5
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    Leon said:

A friend of ours is German, and her dad is currently in hospital after a serious health issue. She, and even his wife, are not allowed to visit due to Covid.

She is exceptionally withering about fools who don't get vaccinated.

(Incidentally, Nicky Campbell had an interesting interview this morning with a woman who refused to get vaxxed, and has lost her job in a care home as a result.)
  • Options
    John Rentoul Retweeted
    Redfield & Wilton Strategies
    @RedfieldWilton
    ·
    1m
    New Lowest Westminster Voting Intention for Conservatives post 2019 GE.

Full Results (8 Nov):

Conservative 37% (-3)
    Labour 36% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 10% (–)
    Green 6% (–)
    Scottish National Party 5% (+1)
    Reform UK 5% (+2)
    Other 1% (-1)
This discussion has been closed.