Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump’s big WH2020 lie could threaten democracy itself – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Andy_JS said:

Betfair punters seem convinced of the result.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.187090973

Hope everyone got their Youngkin bets on like I said :)
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    edited November 2021
    It’s a fairly meaningless exercise to compare England with other countries, as it’s quite unique. It’s like saying France is like Italy. Well up to a point, but it’s not really like Italy. Italy is like Italy and France is like France.

England is sod all like New Zealand for all that it is more like New Zealand than it is, say, Eritrea.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853

It’s a fairly meaningless exercise to compare England with other countries, as it’s quite unique. It’s like saying France is like Italy. Well up to a point, but it’s not really like Italy. Italy is like Italy and France is like France.

England is sod all like New Zealand for all that it is more like New Zealand than it is, say, Eritrea.

It's not meaningless. For example, it tells you where you could be happy as an expat

I had this debate with a Swiss businessman when I was in Switzerland in September. His thesis was that "you can never be truly comfortable or at ease in any country other than your own". He was speaking as a worldly Swiss man who has lived in multiple countries

I disagreed. I told him as a Brit I felt entirely at home in Australia. At ease. I know the language, the sports, the politics, the jokes, I get virtually all of it. They go down the pub. They argue about cricket. We all know Shakespeare

Australia is no more alien to me than the Hebrides or north Norfolk. It feels like a unique bit of Britain with a different climate (that is not meant to be patronising)

Ireland is almost that yet there is something more alien in the culture, which must be the legacy of Catholicism (and, now, EU membership)

France feels very foreign. Ditto Spain, Germany or Italy. I am not automatically at ease in these countries, beautiful and cultured as they are. I LOVE holidaying in these places, but that is different

And on that uncontroversial note, goodnight
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    The idea that NZ has little social or cultural capital is batshit.

I simply don’t recognise @Anabobazina’s picture.

Sure, it’s not very densely populated.
    That’s kind of the point?

Greater Wellington would be lucky to amount to half a million souls. It’s about the size of Bournemouth. But Wellington has Peter Jackson and Weta Workshops, a relatively famous “dub” scene, and it’s own horror comedy (currently available on Now TV).

Bournemouth has a few tired guest houses.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Dave Wasserman has called it for Youngkin. He isn't often wrong.
  • Options
    Like anywhere, though, NZ has places to avoid.

There’s certainly no “there” in Hamilton, Palmerston North, Whangarei, Hastings or Tauranga although the latter has a nice beach.

But there’s all sorts of other charms. Art Deco Napier; colonial Russell; goldrush Dunedin, the vineyards of Blenheim; the quaint remoteness of outposts like Greymouth, Hokitika, Gisborne, or Oamaru.

Auckland is a proper city, new world yes, but with several hundred coves, beaches and extinct volcanoes to explore and a very decent restaurant scene.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Andy_JS said:

Dave Wasserman has called it for Youngkin. He isn't often wrong.

I think it's a fairly comfortable 5-6 point victory in the end.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Leon said:

It's not meaningless. For example, it tells you where you could be happy as an expat

I had this debate with a Swiss businessman when I was in Switzerland in September. His thesis was that "you can never be truly comfortable or at ease in any country other than your own". He was speaking as a worldly Swiss man who has lived in multiple countries

I disagreed. I told him as a Brit I felt entirely at home in Australia. At ease. I know the language, the sports, the politics, the jokes, I get virtually all of it. They go down the pub. They argue about cricket. We all know Shakespeare

Australia is no more alien to me than the Hebrides or north Norfolk. It feels like a unique bit of Britain with a different climate (that is not meant to be patronising)

Ireland is almost that yet there is something more alien in the culture, which must be the legacy of Catholicism (and, now, EU membership)

France feels very foreign. Ditto Spain, Germany or Italy. I am not automatically at ease in these countries, beautiful and cultured as they are. I LOVE holidaying in these places, but that is different

You have clearly never spent time in Darwin.
  • Options
    Was knocked off the world-wide freaking web for a spell, by sinister forces beyond my ken.

Naturally I blame Mr Ed.

IF he is a PBer of principle, with a wee bit of interest, then expect that a generous % of ill-gotten gains at the expense of Truth, Justice and My Way of Thinking, will find there way into the PB Charitable Fund for Unfortunate Punters and Indigent Psephologists.

Please remit all donations to yours truly as secretary, treasurer and social director of the fund, care of the Full Cup Espresso Bar, Talent Agency and Charm School, Pahrump, Nevada
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I have. I love Darwin
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I have. I love Darwin
    It's a funny thing that even back of beyond Australia feels familiar. In a way it's our frontier country, like the American West.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I have. I love Darwin
    It's a funny thing that even back of beyond Australia feels familiar. In a way it's our frontier country, like the American West.
    The closest I've got to rural Australia is reading Bruce Chatwin's book The Songlines.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    I think the clear message coming out from tonight is that the electorate does not like Donald Trump, but they don't want a Democratic Party run by its left wing. This will bolster the Manchins and Cinemas.
  • Options
    TimT said:

I think the clear message coming out from tonight is that the electorate does not like Donald Trump, but they don't want a Democratic Party run by its left wing. This will bolster the Manchins and Cinemas.

How do we know they don't like Donald Trump when he isn't on the ballot paper anywhere?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Andy_JS said:

TimT said:

How do we know they don't like Donald Trump when he isn't on the ballot paper anywhere?
    Seriously? How about the differential in the Favourables between the GOP candidates and Trump, and how they are outperforming Trump vs his results just a year ago?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Startling fact I just learned,

The British probably (data sources differ) eat more garlic per head than the French

That's the UK food revolution, right there

Ready meals and other prepared food like tinned soups invariably contain garlic.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited November 2021
    You know the Dems have had a bad night when the Guardian is only reporting the NYC mayoral election.

And even that was a disappointment to them!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/02/eric-adams-wins-mayor-election-new-york-city

Adams, who defeated several progressive candidates in the Democratic primary, has pledged to cut government inefficiency and made public safety a central part of his campaign.

In a speech, Adams urged unity and told his story as a working-class child who grew up to become mayor. “Tonight, New Yorkers have chosen one of their own,” Adams, said in a victory speech. “I am you.”
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,110
    edited November 2021
    Looks like @MrEd has both bragging rights and a nice win. Would seem to be Youngkin by between 2.5% and 3% on these figures.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    Morning all. So Virginia Governor race is 51/48 in one direction, and New Jersey Governor is 51/48 in the other.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. So Virginia Governor race is 51/48 in one direction, and New Jersey Governor is 51/48 in the other.

Edit: wrong about NJ - it’s absolutely neck and neck there now. 1,000 votes between the candidates out of more than 2m counted so far.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/1050183040/new-jersey-governor-election-results-murphy-ciattarelli
  • Options

I regret to inform you that the New York Times is at it again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/briefing/britain-covid-cases-restrictions.html

"Britain offers a warning of what happens when a country ignores Covid"

"Motes and beams" springs to mind:

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

Leon said:

Startling fact I just learned,

The British probably (data sources differ) eat more garlic per head than the French

That's the UK food revolution, right there

Ready meals and other prepared food like tinned soups invariably contain garlic.
    ..which I am allergic too...
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

You know the Dems have had a bad night when the Guardian is only reporting the NYC mayoral election.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/02/eric-adams-wins-mayor-election-new-york-city

Adams, who defeated several progressive candidates in the Democratic primary, has pledged to cut government inefficiency and made public safety a central part of his campaign.

In a speech, Adams urged unity and told his story as a working-class child who grew up to become mayor. “Tonight, New Yorkers have chosen one of their own,” Adams, said in a victory speech. “I am you.”

LOL.

Though to be fair Mayor of NYC is probably a better known job in the UK than Governor of West Virginia. I could probably name every Mayor of NYC this century, but would struggle to name even a single former Governor of West Virginia.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

LOL.

Though to be fair Mayor of NYC is probably a better known job in the UK than Governor of West Virginia. I could probably name every Mayor of NYC this century, but would struggle to name even a single former Governor of West Virginia.
    Virginia, not West Virginia.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Or that they can't get enthused about a divided party that is suffering from an ongoing deadlock?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2021
    TimT said:

Yes, I'm sure Manchin and Sinema blocking massively popular legislation thay were key planks of Biden's election campaign helped the Democrats last night.

If the Left Wing were "running" the Democratic party the legislation would have been passed months ago, along with a slew of other bills.
  • Options
    TimT said:

So the big question is, how do the GOP moderates stop Trump or his proxy from standing in 2024?
  • Options
    Gop take contact of of Virgina Hoise of Delegates as well.

That's really big.
  • Options

TimT said:

Or that they can't get enthused about a divided party that is suffering from an ongoing deadlock?
    But they have voted for the Republicans?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

The GOP is divided along presentational lines not policy: between those who openly want a coup and those who secretly want a coup.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Gop take contact of of Virgina Hoise of Delegates as well.

That's really big.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression next? Stacking the courts? Tax cuts for the rich? All non-Trump GOP SOP.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Good morning fellow PB-=es. Colder this morning; first time I've met cold this winter.

Australia and New Zealand are like Britain, but 'not quite'. But there again, all of Britain isn't 'alike'. Wales, even the English speaking areas, is different to Essex. And Scotland is different again.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

The GOP is divided along presentational lines not policy: between those who openly want a coup and those who secretly want a coup.
    incidentally re. a dispute at an organisation run on similar lines but with a different bunch of stupid racists in charge, surely the ECB have to expel Yorkshire from the County Championship unless the board resign?

If even one-tenth of the things being reported this morning are true then criminal charges could well be following.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

incidentally re. a dispute at an organisation run on similar lines but with a different bunch of stupid racists in charge, surely the ECB have to expel Yorkshire from the County Championship unless the board resign?

If even one-tenth of the things being reported this morning are true then criminal charges could well be following.
    Agreed; could turn out very nasty for Yorkshire. And, sadly, and I'm sure temporarily, for cricket.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Good morning fellow PB-=es. Colder this morning; first time I've met cold this winter.

Australia and New Zealand are like Britain, but 'not quite'. But there again, all of Britain isn't 'alike'. Wales, even the English speaking areas, is different to Essex. And Scotland is different again.
    I think personally that for example Nottingham is more like Melbourne than it is either London or Congleton.
  • Options
    edited November 2021

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I think personally that for example Nottingham is more like Melbourne than it is either London or Congleton.
    I do worry about you sometimes, Mr T, agreeing with an old lefty like me.
    But you're right. And Nottingham, although I haven't been there much, is different to, for example, Penzance.
    Although of course the main shopping streets of most town have the same stores, with the same shop-fronts.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Remind me never to go to Melbourne.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The railway station is quite a building! And, at least when we were there, some time ago now, the trams were distinctive.
    Although the one we were on broke down and everyone had to cram onto the next one.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

Anyway, glad to see the Tories look at the GOP and see opportunity. This Patterson story just demonstrates the point that Tories think the rules don't apply to them. We've already had senior cabinet ministers found to have broken the ministerial code and being let off by the PM. Then an investigation into the PM doing the same spiked by Number 10 saying they would overrule any findings against the PM. And now Patterson, where they are prepared to rip up the entire parliamentary standards regime to stop his suspension.

They are going to whip the vote
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

We loved Melbourne on our visit
  • Options
    The GOP Virginia win is featured prominently and in-depth on the Guardian website, so not sure where the claim it’s not being covered comes from. The Republicans controlling Virginia no doubt means the state will now be enacting voting laws designed to prevent a Democrat winning its electoral college votes in 2024. That must make Trump even more of a favourite.

Out of Australia and NZ, I’d say the latter comes closer to feeling like home. Maybe that’s because I have family there. I’ve always found Australia to be a place that takes itself a bit too seriously. The Aussies are very free with their Pom bashing, but are also very thin-skinned about any criticism they might get back. Kiwis always strike me as being far more at ease with their place in the world. I like that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Betfair punters seem convinced of the result.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.187090973

Youngkin has an enormous lead on the NYT website

This could be quite a significant election - in the UK too. This is maybe the first time the Right has weaponised Wokeness, and the Culture Wars, and used them to clear, decisive advantage
    Weaponising wokeness isn't new, it's simply the latest iteration of Nixon's Southern Strategy - appealing to White voters who disliked the Civil Rights movement. This strategy was so successful that it allowed the Republicans to replace the Democrats as the dominant party for white voters in the South and has been paying dividends for them ever since.
    The Tories have been aping it for a while now, God help us.
  • Options
    Just so I can stop worrying, did the spirit, spectre or whatever of JFK appear in Dallas last night? I can't see a reference on the BBC site, or in it's papers. summary..
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Wondering what a resurgent, unrestrained Trumpian GOP means for the world. However you cut it, it’s not pretty. For example, anything agreed at COP is probably going to be binned in 3 years time.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Just so I can stop worrying, did the spirit, spectre or whatever of JFK appear in Dallas last night? I can't see a reference on the BBC site, or in it's papers. summary..

Apparently the ghost of Marlyn Monroe sent his apologies. Apparently in the spirit realm old habits die hard.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It’s the only city in Australia I actually have on my list of places to visit.

(For the F1 race, naturally. Need to tick them all off during my lifetime).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Wondering what a resurgent, unrestrained Trumpian GOP means for the world. However you cut it, it’s not pretty. For example, anything agreed at COP is probably going to be binned in 3 years time.

Should we stop referring to the GOP and refer instead to the American DAP?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Anyway, glad to see the Tories look at the GOP and see opportunity. This Patterson story just demonstrates the point that Tories think the rules don't apply to them. We've already had senior cabinet ministers found to have broken the ministerial code and being let off by the PM. Then an investigation into the PM doing the same spiked by Number 10 saying they would overrule any findings against the PM. And now Patterson, where they are prepared to rip up the entire parliamentary standards regime to stop his suspension.

Of course they are. This is the government that does not believe it should be subjected to any kind of independent scrutiny. And as they remove fundamental freedoms from British citizens, Tory MPs also vote to ensure that they have full freedom to line their own pockets. This is what happens when a venal, mendacious, grifter is in charge. We are moving rapidly into a quasi-democracy. And, as you see on here, there will always be people who are happy to justify it.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

It’s the only city in Australia I actually have on my list of places to visit.

(For the F1 race, naturally. Need to tick them all off during my lifetime).
    Must admit that I'm beginning to think that wherever is on my bucket-list now isn't going to get visited.
    Bit like the lines
    'I've never seen an armadill
    o dilloing in his armour
    and I 'spect I never will.
  • Options
    Amol Rajan doesn't have the right voice for Radio 4.

His voice is perfectly pleasant, but it's a Radio 5 or One Show voice. When I listen to Radio 4, I expect to hear the presenters enunciate properly.

Rajan leaves out far too many letters, he uses glottal stops all of the time, he says "yeah" and "gonna" instead of "yes" and "going to", and he just mumbles too much when he tries to speak quickly.

I'm not a big fan of Toenails, who he's co-presenting with today, but I never have to guess what he's just said. Driving to work yesterday, whenever Mishal Husain was speaking instead of Rajan, I just though "Ah.. yes. Radio 4"

Mishal Husain and Justin Webb is my Today dream team.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Leon said:

I agree with you, but of course have different countries where I'm at home in. Scandinavia, Germany, Switzerland, Netherlands absolutely, Austria at a stretch. Ireland and France less so, Canada and the US not really, though I like them both and enjoy visiting them.

All of which suggests that familiarity with aspects of national culture that reflect one's own outlook and experience rather more than objective criteria. But it just matters more to some (like your Swiss friend) than it does to others. At a pinch I'd expect to be OK pretty much anywhere.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Of course they are. This is the government that does not believe it should be subjected to any kind of independent scrutiny. And as they remove fundamental freedoms from British citizens, Tory MPs also vote to ensure that they have full freedom to line their own pockets. This is what happens when a venal, mendacious, grifter is in charge. We are moving rapidly into a quasi-democracy. And, as you see on here, there will always be people who are happy to justify it.

Utterly disgraceful.
    Banana republic stuff.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You're being ridiculous. Just because you go extreme in your criticism doesn't make people not believing your extreme ravings "justifying moving rapidly into a quasi-democracy" (which we're not doing anything of the sort).

There's been very serious allegations made about the credibility of the report. The proper thing to do would be to allow a neutral appeal process to sort it out, if the appeal confirms the report then he should face punishment. If the appeal shows the report was as alleged deeply flawed, then that should be the end of the matter.

That some people wish to do away with principles of justice, doesn't make those defending those principles happy to have a quasi-democracy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,532

Scott_xP said:

The ultimate aim is to turn us into a pantomime version of Putins kleptocracy. Why else put this guy in charge of overturning the Paterson verdict?

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1455642058878767106?t=XAYiC3GaowdUOIAMPXENig&s=19
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Fivethirtyeight I've noticed do seem to like trying to be super clever in their election analysis, coming up with all sorts of angles and endlessly looking for a more nuanced, alternative take. I guess they need to write stories.

But the story of Virginia at least seems to be: " in a state that voted for Biden by 10 points, voters said in exit polls that they were evenly divided in who they voted for in 2020".

So either a lot of people have switched and are misremembering... or... much more likely... more democrats stayed at home vs. republicans. Simple and classic issue for the Dems in off-years.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

You're being ridiculous. Just because you go extreme in your criticism doesn't make people not believing your extreme ravings "justifying moving rapidly into a quasi-democracy" (which we're not doing anything of the sort).

There's been very serious allegations made about the credibility of the report. The proper thing to do would be to allow a neutral appeal process to sort it out, if the appeal confirms the report then he should face punishment. If the appeal shows the report was as alleged deeply flawed, then that should be the end of the matter.

That some people wish to do away with principles of justice, doesn't make those defending those principles happy to have a quasi-democracy.
    Read the report yet?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

An unusual example of a city where the suburbs (some, at least) are more attractive than the city centre.
  • Options

His voice is perfectly pleasant, but it's a Radio 5 or One Show voice. When I listen to Radio 4, I expect to hear the presenters enunciate properly.

Rajan leaves out far too many letters, he uses glottal stops all of the time, he says "yeah" and "gonna" instead of "yes" and "going to", and he just mumbles too much when he tries to speak quickly.

I'm not a big fan of Toenails, who he's co-presenting with today, but I never have to guess what he's just said. Driving to work yesterday, whenever Mishal Husain was speaking instead of Rajan, I just though "Ah.. yes. Radio 4"

It's nice not to have the same endless dreary parade of home counties RP on the radio. Personally I would love to have a much broader range of accents on the radio. I find R4 hard to listen to because the never ending poshness really grates after a while.
  • Options

Was knocked off the world-wide freaking web for a spell, by sinister forces beyond my ken.

Naturally I blame Mr Ed.

IF he is a PBer of principle, with a wee bit of interest, then expect that a generous % of ill-gotten gains at the expense of Truth, Justice and My Way of Thinking, will find there way into the PB Charitable Fund for Unfortunate Punters and Indigent Psephologists.

Please remit all donations to yours truly as secretary, treasurer and social director of the fund, care of the Full Cup Espresso Bar, Talent Agency and Charm School, Pahrump, Nevada

Sorry SeaShanty, the hordes of Trorcas (Trump Orcas) are sweeping down into the valley. But I will gladly contribute to the Charitable Fund for UP and IPs. Shall I make the cheque to one HR Clinton?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021

Scott_xP said:

Read the report yet?
    I'll wait for the appeal.

If the reports not flawed as alleged, then the appeal should confirm that.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Just checking, have you read the report that you appear to have expended thousands of words upon yet?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Fivethirtyeight I've noticed do seem to like trying to be super clever in their election analysis, coming up with all sorts of angles and endlessly looking for a more nuanced, alternative take. I guess they need to write stories.

But the story of Virginia at least seems to be: " in a state that voted for Biden by 10 points, voters said in exit polls that they were evenly divided in who they voted for in 2020".

So either a lot of people have switched and are misremembering... or... much more likely... more democrats stayed at home vs. republicans. Simple and classic issue for the Dems in off-years.

Possibly, although from what have heard, turnout was unusually high for an off year and McAuliffe actually did better than Biden in some areas. I do genuinely think there was a switch at the independent level from D to R. I don’t think it’s a turnout issue.

I’m a bit pissed there wasn’t a NJ Governors’ bet I could find. I think Murphy still wins but it will be close.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    edited November 2021

I understand what you mean but he’s a good interviewer - he pulled up some Labour politician (Lisa Nandy?) earlier today “if you could answer the question I asked you, and not the one you answered about who will benefit - but who will pay for Labour’s green plans?” And got a load of waffle on tax avoidance.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Just checking, have you read the report that you appear to have expended thousands of words upon yet?
    No, its 150 pages, I have absolutely no intention of reading it.

I have read his criticism of the flaws of the report and they are very serious allegations.

If he's telling the truth, there should be an appeal to sort it out. If an appeal upholds the report then that's fair enough, if the appeal determines that the report was flawed as alleged then that's fair enough too.

What's wrong with that? Should nobody ever have the right of appeal?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Edit: wrong about NJ - it’s absolutely neck and neck there now. 1,000 votes between the candidates out of more than 2m counted so far.
    https://www.npr.org/2021/11/02/1050183040/new-jersey-governor-election-results-murphy-ciattarelli
    Now the Republican is ahead, lookslike this is popular:
    "Ciattarelli has promised to lower property taxes, redistribute the extra funding that poor school districts are given to suburban communities. He was known as a moderate during his time in Trenton as a member of the state legislature, but ran to the right during his primary, attending a "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6, the day of the Capitol riot.
    He has also promised to roll back police reforms, prohibit abortions after 20 weeks and slow the climate change actions taken by Murphy."

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited November 2021
    rkrkrk said:

Classic issue that needs to be fixed - as the consequences (rule changes that will make it harder for democrats to vote in the future) clearly weren't spelled out.

The other option is that it's already so difficult to vote that people only do it when they really want to.

I can safely say the latter wasn't the case in New York back in 2019 - we went to the Museum of the Moving Image and disappointed all 3 election people when asked if we were there to vote, there was zero queue and they were so bored, they were outside reception trying to find voters.

• Options
    rkrkrk said:

Yes, 538's main problem with their non-hard numbers based analysis is that it is dripping with "savvy", inside baseball, takes that do not stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited November 2021

Scott_xP said:

Of course those who do not like the report's findings are going to say that it has serious flaws. Those caught bang to rights always proclaim their innocence. However, the government is not whipping its MPs into supporting an appeals process, it is whipping its MPs to support a move to abolish the current standards system and to replace it with a committee that has a Tory majority on it. You will, of course, find a way to defend that - just as you will defend the government putting itself beyond the scrutiny of the judiciary, just as you will defend the greatest removal of rights from British citizens this country has ever seen in peacetime and just as you will defend the government's relentless lies. Others will as well. And the government will get away with it. Just as the governments of Hungary and Poland have managed to as well.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379

I disagree.
    Webb is a bit too thick, and Rajan a far more perceptive journalist.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

I have read his criticism of the flaws of the report and they are very serious allegations.

If he's telling the truth, there should be an appeal to sort it out. If an appeal upholds the report then that's fair enough, if the appeal determines that the report was flawed as alleged then that's fair enough too.

Going on and on and on about the injustices of a report that you haven’t read is peak Phil. Marvellous stuff!
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

The most likely explanation is that Dem turnout was lower in 2021 than in 2020, becuase getting rid of Trump was a highly-motivating factor for Dems (and swing voters) in 2020.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

TimT said:

Yes, I'm sure Manchin and Sinema blocking massively popular legislation thay were key planks of Biden's election campaign helped the Democrats last night.

If the Left Wing were "running" the Democratic party the legislation would have been passed months ago, along with a slew of other bills.
    If I was the Democrats, I would take solace in the fact that the race was close. The GOP only took the House of Delegates by one seat. This is not an overwhelming endorsement for the GOP and it could be argued specific issues (eg the Loudoun School issue) clouded the vote.

However, there are also two big worries here for the Dems. One is that Trump may not be the bogeyman for independents that he was and that appealing to anti-Trump sentiment won’t be enough. The second, and less commented on, is that Trump restrained himself in the campaign which seems to suggest he perhaps more self-control and wiliness than many on here give him credit for. He knew he would be a big vote loser for Youngkin and he kept his mouth shut. That should give pause for thought.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Going on and on and on about the injustices of a report that you haven’t read is peak Phil. Marvellous stuff!
    I'm not "going on and on" about it, I didn't even bring it up, others did. I've said there should be an appeal process to sort it out.

In your eyes do you think nobody has ever been found guilty by a flawed process and there should never be an appeal process available to anybody, ever?
  • Options
    - "I dispute that."

- "Well the facts and the figures show it."

- "Again, I dispute that."

- "Shall I read them?"

- "You can read what you like."
    https://twitter.com/camanpour/status/1455608502936817667
  • Options

The GOP Virginia win is featured prominently and in-depth on the Guardian website, so not sure where the claim it’s not being covered comes from. The Republicans controlling Virginia no doubt means the state will now be enacting voting laws designed to prevent a Democrat winning its electoral college votes in 2024. That must make Trump even more of a favourite.

Out of Australia and NZ, I’d say the latter comes closer to feeling like home. Maybe that’s because I have family there. I’ve always found Australia to be a place that takes itself a bit too seriously. The Aussies are very free with their Pom bashing, but are also very thin-skinned about any criticism they might get back. Kiwis always strike me as being far more at ease with their place in the world. I like that.

I have lived in both Melbourne and Christchurch, and lovely cities they are, but the resemblance to Britain can be quite superficial, but easy for a casual visitor to make. I could live quite happily in either country, but there are dozens of others that I could happily live in too, from Austria to Malawi, Malaysia to Mexico.

I wonder if those extolling the Britishness of NZ would recognise this side of NZ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/03/new-zealand-vaccines-gang-leaders-unite-covid-shots

• Options

Scott_xP said:

I'm not "going on and on" about it, I didn't even bring it up, others did. I've said there should be an appeal process to sort it out.

In your eyes do you think nobody has ever been found guilty by a flawed process and there should never be an appeal process available to anybody, ever?
    Probably the easiest way to deal with what is suggested to be a flawed and possibly prejudiced investigation, is for all those involved to recuse themselves, and for a different, also independent, team run a new investigation on the same evidence.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Read the report yet?
    I'll wait for the appeal.

If the reports not flawed as alleged, then the appeal should confirm that.
    Why not just ask Paterson to lead the enquiry and be done with the pretence?
  • Options
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I have lived in both Melbourne and Christchurch, and lovely cities they are, but the resemblance to Britain can be quite superficial, but easy for a casual visitor to make. I could live quite happily in either country, but there are dozens of others that I could happily live in too, from Austria to Malawi, Malaysia to Mexico.

I wonder if those extolling the Britishness of NZ would recognise this side of NZ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/03/new-zealand-vaccines-gang-leaders-unite-covid-shots

I don't think either NZ or Australia are close to being British. And they would absolutely hate to be described in such terms. Nowhere in Britain is either. Britishness does not exist as a singular concept. How can it when we are so different within our own island?

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,907
    Alistair said:

rkrkrk said:

Yes, 538's main problem with their non-hard numbers based analysis is that it is dripping with "savvy", inside baseball, takes that do not stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.
    Yes, it's amazing how what started as a data-driven journalism project has actually morphed into this. Obviously still good stuff on there, but I guess the real function of that inside baseball stuff is that it drives clicks and attention.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021
    Scott_xP said:

- "I dispute that."

- "Shall I read them?"

He's right to dispute it, cases are not spiking. Whatever facts and figure Amanpour is reading [which she doesn't go on to read] are wrong and the PM is right.

Under what definition of the word "spiking" can a 10% Week on Week reduction in cases be "spiking"?

Cases have been falling for two weeks now, they peaked on 18 October, how is that "spiking"?

• Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

An unusual example of a city where the suburbs (some, at least) are more attractive than the city centre.
    Like London then, where all the good stuff is in zone 2.
  • Options
    The weird thing is that the Standards Committee already has a Tory majority, and includes seasoned Brexitard Bernard Jenkin as a member.

Not good enough for Boris, apparently.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Scott_xP said:

- "I dispute that."

- "Shall I read them?"

He's right to dispute it, cases are not spiking. Whatever facts and figure Amanpour is reading [which she doesn't go on to read] are wrong and the PM is right.

Under what definition of the word "spiking" can a 10% Week on Week reduction in cases be "spiking"?

Cases have been falling for two weeks now, they peaked on 18 October, how is that "spiking"?

They are spiking downwards, obviously.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

Possibly, although from what have heard, turnout was unusually high for an off year and McAuliffe actually did better than Biden in some areas. I do genuinely think there was a switch at the independent level from D to R. I don’t think it’s a turnout issue.

I’m a bit pissed there wasn’t a NJ Governors’ bet I could find. I think Murphy still wins but it will be close.
    NJ Governor
    Dem Murphy 1.05
    Rep Ciattarelli 6
    in a thin market on Betfair
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Scott_xP said:

But when a French fisherman says he is not being allowed to fish somewhere he says he has always fished you are adamant he is wrong.

In both cases you might be right, but you make these statements without looking at the evidence.

As @Dura_Ace put it this site is full of experts on everything, without any actual in depth knowledge.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    Scott_xP said:

- "I dispute that."

- "Shall I read them?"

Just read some pf the other loony comments on the twitter feed.. you know its going to be trash, but its nice to.have confirmation.
  • Options

MrEd said:

rkrkrk said:

NJ Governor
    Dem Murphy 1.05
    Rep Ciattarelli 6
    in a thin market on Betfair
    Cheers. I’m obviously going blind.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

- "I dispute that."

- "Shall I read them?"

I suppose hospital covid inpatients being as numerous as March, and approaching the 10 000 mark. That is about half the first wave peak.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

- "I dispute that."

- "Shall I read them?"

She is either lying or stupid. Normally I would be making that comment about Johnson but in this case he happens to be right.
  • Options
    Bit from me in today's Playbook. Point (2) is a huge concern esp if it sets a precedent for MPs to overturn bullying and harassment decisions

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/cop-to-it-standards-stitch-up-briefing-war-continues/ https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1455811937879658498/photo/1
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited November 2021
    Looks like a great night for Republicans in the offyear elections last night as they finally can campaign on attacking the Democrats' record in government rather than having to defend the record of Trump as President.

Not only has Youngkin beaten McAuliffe for the Virginia governorship and the Republicans have won the Virginia House of Delegates and elected a GOP black female former marine as Lieutenant Governor but with 84% of votes in in New Jersey the GOP candidate for governor, Clattarelli is literally tied with Democratic candidate for governor, Murphy, 49.6% each. Literally nobody was predicting that.

All set up for the GOP at least to retake the House next year in the midterms. When the GOP won the Virginia and NJ governorships in 2009 they did exactly that in 2010
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    edited November 2021
    Nigelb said:

I disagree.
    Webb is a bit too thick, and Rajan a far more perceptive journalist.
    Rajan has grown on me a lot - he does have a “radio 5” voice but seems the most neutral and intelligent of the presenters and perceptive is the word.

Webb isn’t the brightest and probably would have been a Cirencester estate agent if he hadn’t become a journalist! Also dull when he gets to cream over some rugby report.

Hussein is a little bit too certain of her own intelligence and doesn’t seem able to adapt her questioning away from her existing view on the matter under discussion - also bloody annoying when switching from RP to strange pronunciations on certain words such as “Taaaaahlebhaaaan”.

Kearney is warm and amusing but deceptively bright and adaptable in questioning.

Robinson drives me up the wall. Used to like him but he is obsessed with trying to find a gotcha question, shouts over interviewees and is embarrassingly excited whenever the words “Manchester United” are uttered or he can drive the conversation onto them. Also i sellers this Manchester accent has grown over the last couple of years and sounds different to his tv days.

The main sports guy is obsessed with pushing women’s sport and jamming in social issues - it’s a three minute sports report - tell us the results and news about things most sports fans care about.

The Kiwi who just left who did business was very good and a sad loss.

Tweet of the day immediately before is great.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    New Jersey remains incredibly close. With 84% of the vote in the Republican Ciattarelli has a lead of about 60 votes:
    https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jerseys-2021-gubernatorial-election-results/story?id=80306513#governor

Murphy seems to have done a fairly excellent job as governor, not least with Covid. If he is really struggling the Democrats are in deep trouble. I think what is left will favour him and he will make it but unless something changes next year could be a Democratic bloodbath.
This discussion has been closed.