Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tonight’s by-election bet – A Carlisle seat last won by UKIP – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,203
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

FPT, because I don't want my genuine apology to be lost in the scum end of an old thread

Ever wonder what that Nick 'tuition fee' Clegg did all day these days?

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1453809758616567809

I would like to apologise unreservedly. Not for any offence caused (that's always intentional), but for voting for Nick fucking Clegg.

'Nick Clegg the Fucker,' shurely?

Remembering his famous 'not more than 30' comment.
    "No more than 30 ... it's a lot less than that". Honest but not exceptional surely?
    Speak for yourself, Stocky!
    Ahem. Hangs head in shame.

I guess 30 may be exceptional for a dorky politician? Actually - thinking about it - I wonder whether female MPs have on average seen more action than the average male MP?
    An old friend of mine told me, the other day, that he’s slept with 8 women. EIGHT

SINGLE FIGURES

He’s 57 so it’s about one a decade. Lol
    I've slept with three women. Started a long term relationship at university. Started my current relationship about a year after the end of the previous one.

I suppose that number would be higher if I hadn't had two long-term relationships. I've no wish for my current marriage to come to an end just so I can boost that number.
    That’s fair. I was being provocative in my earlier comment, and I do actually envy my happily married friends with low run rates (there aren’t many of them, but they exist)

But I wouldn’t be happy - personally - knowing so little about sex and women, and you can only discover this stuff by doing it. With actual women. Or men. Or whoever rocks your coracle

It’s like travel. You can be perfectly happy living in the same village all your life. Plenty of people are made that way. Others aren’t. And once you scratch the itch of wanderlust….
    Travel is only interesting because, in the cultures one visits, most of the populace have not travelled at all. A depressing thought.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    The OBR has taken a hard look at the evidence to date on the actual impact of Brexit. Its conclusion, briefly, is: “so far, so bad”. That is, the UK’s trade performance this year is consistent with its original estimates that UK exports and imports would both fall by 15%.

Indeed, in some respects, the data so far looks even worse than that – UK exports have already fallen by approximately this much compared to pre-pandemic levels, while advanced economies as a whole have seen trade grow. And, again in common with external analysts, the OBR sees no evidence that trade deals with third countries, or any of the other putative economic benefits of Brexit, will offset this in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

FPT, because I don't want my genuine apology to be lost in the scum end of an old thread

I would like to apologise unreservedly. Not for any offence caused (that's always intentional), but for voting for Nick fucking Clegg.

"No more than 30 ... it's a lot less than that". Honest but not exceptional surely?

I guess 30 may be exceptional for a dorky politician? Actually - thinking about it - I wonder whether female MPs have on average seen more action than the average male MP?
    30 is well above average, the average man has had 8 sexual partners and the average woman 7.
    https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/the-ideal-number-of-sexual-partners-for-men-women#:~:text=A 2017 survey of 2,180,average of 7 sexual partners.

Of course the more religious will only have had one, their spouse and some will have chosen not to have any eg Ann Widdecombe
    Anyone and everyone will have chosen not to have any Ann Widdecombe
    To be fair. She was quite fetching when young.

We were all young once.

Good god. You definitely would

Also she’s wearing a choker symbolising submissiveness (in the world of kink)
    Well we already knew you would!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Apparently we have passed the symbolic 1 in 400 people in the U.K. has died of Covid. I assume this is about right, as although the exact number will not be known, around 150,000 is probably close. But I wondered how many die each year, and it must 1 in 90 or something close to that. Yes Covid has been bad. Yes we have made errors in trying to fight it. But why should the 1 in 400 thing be a thing?

As far as can see, we are now in the position where positive tests are falling, and falling quite sharply, even when controlling for half term. Yet there is almost no mainstream coverage of it, despite the endlessly media shit-stirring when positive tests were rising.

iSage have been strangely silent; the TV news, unmoved.

You can see why people end up hatching ludicrous conspiracy theories over covid. The fall is newsworthy and yet, there is no news.
    The contrast with the media last week would be astonishing, if it weren’t so predictably.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,611

Apparently we have passed the symbolic 1 in 400 people in the U.K. has died of Covid. I assume this is about right, as although the exact number will not be known, around 150,000 is probably close. But I wondered how many die each year, and it must 1 in 90 or something close to that. Yes Covid has been bad. Yes we have made errors in trying to fight it. But why should the 1 in 400 thing be a thing?

As far as can see, we are now in the position where positive tests are falling, and falling quite sharply, even when controlling for half term. Yet there is almost no mainstream coverage of it, despite the endlessly media shit-stirring when positive tests were rising.

You can see why people end up hatching ludicrous conspiracy theories over covid. The fall is newsworthy and yet, there is no news.
    They go up and down. Not much real change over the last couple of months IMO. Hospitalisations too. My Trust has been between 70 and 120 since August, currently 107.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

30 is well above average, the average man has had 8 sexual partners and the average woman 7.
    https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/the-ideal-number-of-sexual-partners-for-men-women#:~:text=A 2017 survey of 2,180,average of 7 sexual partners.

Of course the more religious will only have had one, their spouse and some will have chosen not to have any eg Ann Widdecombe
    Goodness me. Is there any random stat you haven't got your finger on?
    Of course he has the stats but presents even this one misleadingly!

One of the sources for the 8 average is from millennials as at 2015, so when they were 25-35 depending on what definition they used. Lifetime will be a lot higher.
    Lifetime is not much different, especially as more than half if they get married will be married by 35.

42% of all adults have had 4 sexual partners or less over their lifetime and 64% have had 9 sexual partners or less.

Only 2% are genuine Casanovas with more than 50 partners, probably very good looking or beautiful in their youth or very rich

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/how-many-sexual-partners-average-13442969
    If you look at that survey, filter by age to 65+, and allocate the 8% don't knows to the 20+ partners groups it looks about right to me.

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

https://www.euroclinix.net/en/vc/between-the-sheets/#/all-sexual-partners/asp-by-age

Surveys that ask the question to a mix of 20 and 30 year olds are not getting the lifetime number at all.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

When I was a young man, a much older man advised me: ‘never turn down sex or travel’

Superb advice
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Bad news is reported more. This is not a new thing, nor is it surprising. It's certainly not shit-stirring or conspiracy. It's just the people are.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

When I was a young man, a much older man advised me: ‘never turn down sex or travel’

Superb advice
    Never miss a chance to take a piss, never waste an erection, never trust a fart.

Advice from an elderly friend.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice
    Never miss a chance to take a piss, never waste an erection, never trust a fart.

PB advice:
    Never miss a chance to take the piss, never waste an election, never trust a Farage.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Foxy said:

They go up and down. Not much real change over the last couple of months IMO. Hospitalisations too. My Trust has been between 70 and 120 since August, currently 107.
    @Anabobazina may well have a point though. Over the last few days we've had blind panic over cases going up and various experts shouting that we have to staple gags to people's faces and bring back social isolation rules at once or there'll probably be a massacre. Then it looks like cases might be going down and there's largely silence. Followed, doubtless, by another wave of panic if the trend reverses again.

It's almost as if catastrophising makes for good clickbait.
  • Options
    Sexy time? I've had as many men as women. Which is single digits. Now happily married to Mrs RP for the last 18 years.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

An old friend of mine told me, the other day, that he’s slept with 8 women. EIGHT

SINGLE FIGURES

I've slept with three women. Started a long term relationship at university. Started my current relationship about a year after the end of the previous one.

I suppose that number would be higher if I hadn't had two long-term relationships. I've no wish for my current marriage to come to an end just so I can boost that number.
    That’s fair. I was being provocative in my earlier comment, and I do actually envy my happily married friends with low run rates (there aren’t many of them, but they exist)

But I wouldn’t be happy - personally - knowing so little about sex and women, and you can only discover this stuff by doing it. With actual women. Or men. Or whoever rocks your coracle

It’s like travel. You can be perfectly happy living in the same village all your life. Plenty of people are made that way. Others aren’t. And once you scratch the itch of wanderlust….
    Travel is only interesting because, in the cultures one visits, most of the populace have not travelled at all. A depressing thought.
    That is notably dispiriting. But is it true? Going to New York City is always fun, likewise Paris, Berlin, Sydney, Hong Kong (the last until recently anyway). These cities are full of travellers just like London, but they are still totally themselves and enjoyable and invigorating. So I’m not at all sure you’re right
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice
    You may be right, but I have certainly turned down both on occasions.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

Hahahah
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,983
    Foxy said:

Sure, that’s right, but the point is the screeching when positive tests rise for a bit is deafening, yet when they fall, nonexistent. I’d be perfectly happy if the media said: “you know what, they wax and they wane, covid isn’t over, and probably never will be, but nor is this anything like 2020.”

But, they don’t. The ‘news’ is only one way, and that’s not healthy, and I’m not even sure it sells papers. Covid is boring, yet the press are hooked.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

SINGLE FIGURES

That is notably dispiriting. But is it true? Going to New York City is always fun, likewise Paris, Berlin, Sydney, Hong Kong (the last until recently anyway). These cities are full of travellers just like London, but they are still totally themselves and enjoyable and invigorating. So I’m not at all sure you’re right
    You are right, of couse. Culture thrives despite globalisation. But for how long?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

SINGLE FIGURES

Of course most in the big, wealthy global cities have travelled widely and increasingly their inhabitants have more in common with each other than the rest of the population of the country culturally and politically as well as generally being higher earners. However beyond that once you get into small towns and rural areas, even in the West, few will have travelled beyond their own continent more than once or twice and in the developing world few will have travelled beyond even their own country except the very wealthy
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Alistair said:

Iowa redrawingnthe congressional map to a 4-0 GOP clean sweep.

How grotesque are the districts?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Bad news is reported more. This is not a new thing, nor is it surprising. It's certainly not shit-stirring or conspiracy. It's just the people are.
    Of course it is. But I suspect in this case, falling numbers would be more surprising and engaging for audiences. The press are hooked on bad covid news, and it’s really quite pathetic to watch.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

SINGLE FIGURES

You are right, of couse. Culture thrives despite globalisation. But for how long?
    Well, Covid has certainly hit Pause on the human blender button. We may be about to see globalisation unwind
  • Options
    Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:
    Never miss a chance to take the piss, never waste an election, never trust a Farage.
    Or my grandfather’s advice: never make an enemy unintentionally
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

One of the sources for the 8 average is from millennials as at 2015, so when they were 25-35 depending on what definition they used. Lifetime will be a lot higher.
    Lifetime is not much different, especially as more than half if they get married will be married by 35.

42% of all adults have had 4 sexual partners or less over their lifetime and 64% have had 9 sexual partners or less.

Only 2% are genuine Casanovas with more than 50 partners, probably very good looking or beautiful in their youth or very rich

If you look at that survey, filter by age to 65+, and allocate the 8% don't knows to the 20+ partners groups it looks about right to me.

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

https://www.euroclinix.net/en/vc/between-the-sheets/#/all-sexual-partners/asp-by-age

Surveys that ask the question to a mix of 20 and 30 year olds are not getting the lifetime number at all.
    Why would you allocate the don't knows to the 20+ partners group? They are just as likely to be 4 or less.

The survey covered all ages up to and including the over 65s and quite clearly a majority had had less than 10 partners.

Indeed in every age group, 18-24s, 25-34s, 35-44s, 45-54s, 55-64s and over 65s the majority had had less than 10 partners too
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2021
    Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:
    That’s close to my definition of a gentleman (or gentlewoman); someone who is never unintentionally rude.

My father’s definition was “someone who uses a butter knife, even when they are on their own”, which doesn’t seem to have the same zing to me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

Why would you allocate the don't knows to the 20+ partners group? They are just as likely to be 4 or less.

The survey covered all ages up to and including the over 65s and quite clearly a majority had had less than 10 partners.

Indeed in every age group, 18-24s, 25-34s, 35-44s, 45-54s, 55-64s and over 65s the majority had had less than 10 partners too
    I really can't tell if you are winding me up here! If you don't know how many sexual partners you have had, then you probably havent had 4 or less.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

I really can't tell if you are winding me up here! If you don't know how many sexual partners you have had, then you probably havent had 4 or less.
    You may well equally have had 0 or 1 and be embarrassed about it so said you don't know or found the question rude so also said don't know even if you were average
  • Options

Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:
    That’s close to my definition of a gentleman (or gentlewoman); someone who is never unintentionally rude.

My father’s definition was “someone who uses a butter knife, even when they are on their own”, which doesn’t seem to have the same zing to me.
    Character is what you do when no-one is watching.

Not sure I agree with this, just a saying I heard.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

Is it me or does the maths of men having more than women not add up (particularly given there are more men than women). Male exaggeration at play?
    There have been similar surveys with similar results before. Apparently the discrepancy was put down to a very few women who had slept with hundreds of men not taking part in the surveys.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

May have done, and just don't want to answer the question. May even be zero and not want to say it.

Plus there'll always be an element of people for any question who respond Don't Know.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:

That would explain it I suppose: but why a butter knife?
  • Options

carnforth said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:

As opposed to using a generic knife for everything, presumably.
  • Options
    This is THE DAY WE ALL DISCOVERED HYUFD IS THE GO-TO GUY FOR SEXUAL PARTNER STATISTICS

Also, Rochdale is bisexual

I hereby declare that from now on, October 28 on PB is known as HYUFD DAY, and every October 28th, from this year on, PB-ers must gather together after the Lagershed and make embarrassingly candid sexual admissions they regret on October 29th

Be it so noted.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

May have done, and just don't want to answer the question. May even be zero and not want to say it.

Plus there'll always be an element of people for any question who respond Don't Know.
    Wasn’t there a survey where a small but significant proportion said “don’t know” to the question “have you ever been decapitated?”
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is THE DAY WE ALL DISCOVERED HYUFD IS THE GO-TO GUY FOR SEXUAL PARTNER STATISTICS

I hereby declare that from now on, October 28 on PB is known as HYUFD DAY, and every October 28th, from this year on, PB-ers must gather together after the Lagershed and make embarrassingly candid sexual admissions they regret on October 29th

Be it so noted.

HY is known as Dr Sex to his friends.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:

Perhaps he felt that only gentlemen would have a butter knife? I mean, how many on here could lay their hands on one in a hurry if they had to?
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:

Perhaps he felt that only gentlemen would have a butter knife? I mean, how many on here could lay their hands on one in a hurry if they had to?
    😊 *ahem*

(Not that I use it frequently. Usually a regular clean knife is fine)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    New Fox poll of #VAGov (likely voters):

Youngkin (R) 53
    McAuliffe (D) 45

Youngkin also leads among RV’s by 1 point. MoE +/- 3 points. Massive shift from the last poll in this series, which had McAuliffe up five points. Election is Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/guypbenson/status/1453844080769871897
  • Options
    Leon said:

Be it so noted.

My bisexuality is hardly news 😘
  • Options

Leon said:

Be it so noted.

It is to me!

I genuinely don’t understand bisexuality. For me, you either like one or the other. But I’ve had properly bisexual girlfriends.

Eg one rampantly sexual girl was so bisexual she truly loved men, but if she saw a pretty pretty girl in a bar her eyes would mist over and she’d stop talking and her gaze would follow the hot girl. And she’d totally lose the drift of the conversation. Like a lustful man. It was an education for me, in what it must be like, to be a girlfriend of a libidinous male. Tiring

I guess that’s what i mean when i say having lots of sexual partners teaches you stuff
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited October 2021
    Just taking a minute out of watching Question Time. Noted the discussion on PB; clearly past the watershed. Probably need to do some counting, but shouldn't take a Leon-esque length of time.

Some resonance on QT to a point that Sunak spent ages talking about alcohol duty in the budget, but didn't really mention climate change, except for the cut tax on domestic flights. Priorities?

PS Bridget Phillipson very good again, Lucy Frazer very poor.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Con hold in Wrexham
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Be it so noted.

It is to me!

I genuinely don’t understand bisexuality. For me, you either like one or the other. But I’ve had properly bisexual girlfriends.

Eg one rampantly sexual girl was so bisexual she truly loved men, but if she saw a pretty pretty girl in a bar her eyes would mist over and she’d stop talking and her gaze would follow the hot girl. And she’d totally lose the drift of the conversation. Like a lustful man. It was an education for me, in what it must be like, to be a girlfriend of a libidinous male. Tiring

I guess that’s what i mean when i say having lots of sexual partners teaches you stuff
    I'm heteromantic - I don't think I could fall in love with a man. But lust? Oh yeah. It's being sexually attracted to people of both genders. I've learned more one way than the other at various points and that's kind of the whole point.

You can't help who you are or aren't attracted to. I almost feel sorry for people who are exclusive as they miss out on being given the horn by so many beautiful people just because they have the wrong bits.
  • Options
    slade said:

Con hold in Wrexham

slade said:

Con hold in Wrexham

Lib Dems move into 2nd place. Reform UK get 6 votes and Green 5 votes
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Youngkin (R) 53
    McAuliffe (D) 45

Youngkin also leads among RV’s by 1 point. MoE +/- 3 points. Massive shift from the last poll in this series, which had McAuliffe up five points. Election is Tuesday.

Would not be a major surprise, the Virginia governor off year election has been won by the opposite party of the incoming President at every election since 1977
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Just taking a minute out of watching Question Time. Noted the discussion on PB; clearly past the watershed. Probably need to do some counting, but shouldn't take a Leon-esque length of time.

Some resonance on QT to a point that Sunak spent ages talking about alcohol duty in the budget, but didn't really mention climate change, except for the cut tax on domestic flights. Priorities?

PS Bridget Phillipson very good again, Lucy Frazer very poor.

Yeah. Not watched QT in months.
    Rarely recall as poor a representative of the government. She's dire.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Just checked in to find that PB has time travelled back to a1970s sixth form common room.

Time to check out again
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

Be it so noted.

Just getting my head round what would count as an embarrassingly candid sexual admission for you.

Upskirting the queen mum, surreptitiously teabagging the Archbishop of Canterbury, a solitary, tearful wank at the grave of u know who?
  • Options
    Lab gain from UKIP in Carlisle.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Lab gain in Carlisle.
    As per thread header.

Oops. Too slow.
  • Options

Just checked in to find that PB has time travelled back to a1970s sixth form common room.

Time to check out again

A brief visit from the Anti Sex League
  • Options
    Con hold in Bolton.
  • Options
    Looks like the budget is going down well.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Currock & Upperby

Labour: 636 (57.4%)
    Conservative: 412 (37.2%)
    Green: 59 (5.32%)

Labour GAIN from UKIP
  • Options
    Results and swings thus far.

Bromley Cross (Bolton) by-election result:

CON: 70.0% (+6.8)
    LAB: 16.5% (-5.6)
    GRN: 6.7% (-1.4)
    BFC: 4.0% (+4.0)
    LDEM: 2.7% (-3.8)

Conservative HOLD.

Currock and Upperby (Carlisle) by-election result:

LAB: 57.5% (+20.7)
    CON: 37.2% (+22.2)
    GRN: 5.3% (-6.3)

Labour GAIN from UKIP.

No UKIP as prev.

Gresford East and West (Wrexham) by-election result:

CON: 42.7% (-30.3)
    LDEM: 20.1% (+10.1)
    PC: 19.8% (+19.8)
    LAB: 16.1% (-0.2)
    REFUK: 0.7% (+0.7)
    GRN: 0.6% (+0.6)

Conservative HOLD.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    Leon said:

Time to check out again

A brief visit from the Anti Sex League
    Well no one can accuse you of "Me too wokery" now, can they?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Be it so noted.

It is to me!

I'm heteromantic - I don't think I could fall in love with a man. But lust? Oh yeah. It's being sexually attracted to people of both genders. I've learned more one way than the other at various points and that's kind of the whole point.

You can't help who you are or aren't attracted to. I almost feel sorry for people who are exclusive as they miss out on being given the horn by so many beautiful people just because they have the wrong bits.
    Fascinating. Thankyou. Sincerely

Sex is even more interesting than politics. I’m sure they pleasure similar parts of the brain

I once asked my hyper-bisexual girlfriend what she would choose if the world was ending and she had one sexual experience left. Would it be c**k or c**t

She thought for a loooooooooooooong time and then she said, with a kind of resigned sigh, ‘c**k’

It was simultaneously reassuring and destabilising
  • Options
    Lab hold in Luton but big Lib Dem advance.
  • Options
    Lab hold in Luton.
  • Options
    Ind gain from Con in South Kesteven.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Have I inadvertently stumbled into sexualconfessions.com?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Charles said:

Alistair said:

Iowa redrawingnthe congressional map to a 4-0 GOP clean sweep.

How grotesque are the districts?
    It's a dangerous game when you redraw a 55-45 state to give four districts to one party, as you run the risk of losing 2 or 3 if things swing against you. Much more sensible to stick all the Democrats in one seat, and then have three safe Republican ones.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

0 1%
    1 16%
    2-4 24%
    5-9 22%
    10-20 22%
    Over 20 17%

Because most people can count to four?
  • Options

Youngkin (R) 53
    McAuliffe (D) 45

Wow. That's a big lead.
  • Options
    Con hold in South Staffs.
  • Options

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Charles said:

Farooq said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

We were all young once.

Superb advice

PB advice:

** raises hand **
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Cyclefree said:

It's quite amusing with the local byelection results interspersed. ;)
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Hey @rcs1000 Totally OT question since you're here, is fossil fuel divestment doing anything to starve fossil fuel companies of capital or is it just moving bags from woke pension funds to non-woke investors at a tiny discount?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

It's quite amusing with the local byelection results interspersed. ;)
    Difficult to decide where the real kink lies.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited October 2021
    Good result for the Greens in Wombourne. (The most populous town in Gavin Williamson's constituency).
  • Options

Hey @rcs1000 Totally OT question since you're here, is fossil fuel divestment doing anything to starve fossil fuel companies of capital or is it just moving bags from woke pension funds to non-woke investors at a tiny discount?

No, it's not doing anything to starve fossil fuel companies of capital.

For a start, the number of ethical funds is tiny relative to the market. Someone selling Shell wouldn't make a big difference to the pool of buyers. And the remainder are very price sensitive, so I simply can't see how it could do anything more than (maybe) move the equilibrium share price by a percent or two.

But perhaps more importantly - the big oil companies aren't in need of capital! Shell pays out more than $15 billion in dividends every year. They aren't turning up asking Mr Market for money, they're handing massive amounts out to shareholders year in and year out. (I remember Simon Henry, the old Shell CFO, saying to me "Shell has been paying its dividends uninterrupted for a lot longer than most countries have been paying their debts."
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Be it so noted.

It is to me!

Fascinating. Thankyou. Sincerely

Sex is even more interesting than politics. I’m sure they pleasure similar parts of the brain

I once asked my hyper-bisexual girlfriend what she would choose if the world was ending and she had one sexual experience left. Would it be c**k or c**t

She thought for a loooooooooooooong time and then she said, with a kind of resigned sigh, ‘c**k’

It was simultaneously reassuring and destabilising
    I can't orgasm unless I'm thinking about the various merits of AV versus FPTP... although I've learned not to think about STV as when you mutter that out aloud, it can cause confusion.
  • Options
    Con hold in Grantham.
    Last one this week.
    Scores. 5 Con and 1 Lab holds.
    1 Lab gain from UKIP.
    1 Ind gain from Con.

Back to sexy talk.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    rcs1000 said:

For a start, the number of ethical funds is tiny relative to the market. Someone selling Shell wouldn't make a big difference to the pool of buyers. And the remainder are very price sensitive, so I simply can't see how it could do anything more than (maybe) move the equilibrium share price by a percent or two.

But perhaps more importantly - the big oil companies aren't in need of capital! Shell pays out more than $15 billion in dividends every year. They aren't turning up asking Mr Market for money, they're handing massive amounts out to shareholders year in and year out. (I remember Simon Henry, the old Shell CFO, saying to me "Shell has been paying its dividends uninterrupted for a lot longer than most countries have been paying their debts."
    Thanks, makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I am now cut off from the rest of Cumbria let alone the rest of the U.K.

There are only 3 routes out:
    - the train - closed
    - east to Kendal - but can't even get to Broughton because Duddon Bridge is closed
    - up the coast and across to the M6 somewhere near Penrith - also out because a bridge at Holmrook is closed.

Rising water in the rivers rather than actual flooding seems to be the reason.

In theory I could try driving over the fells and hope to get to the central lakes and out that way. But not sensible when there has been lots of rain and local floods and if you get stuck the sheep will do sod all to help.

Not that I want to get out just yet. But have a theatre ticket in London on 8th November so just planning my escape route for then.

The good news though is that some people are ignoring the closed roads signs and driving through anyway. The contempt people round here have for Cumbria County Council has to be seen to be believed.

Perhaps the local council will finally do something about strengthening the bridges, an issue which people have complained about for some time.

Climate change is a concern here. If sea levels rise, a lot of coastal communities round here will be underwater. Not where I am. But nearby and it will affect Sellafield and nuclear storage plans and the West Coast mainline.

And, no, I am not going to tell you about my sex life.

(I hope I've got the new PB posting style right.)

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Good result for the Greens in Wombourne. (The most populous town in Gavin Williamson's constituency).

That’s going to be my line from now on, whenever a friend makes an embarrassing overshare, whenever they admit something i really didn’t need to hear. Eg:

Friend: “So, look, I have to be honest. I’m sexually attracted to bats, I fucked this gorgeous pipistrelle last night”

PAUSE

Me (coughing, nervously): “I hear there was a good result for the Greens in Wombourne”
    I've never taken local election results entirely seriously. There's something slightly ridiculous about them.

Imagine someone saying "Good result for the Ladyboy Party in Soi 43 district in Bangkok".
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

How have the tech companies become these grotesque fucking gargoyles? Especially Facebook.

Zuckerberg actually looks like a Bond villain now. This stiff, geeky, aspergery nerd who runs an evil empire that endangers the world. Like a ludicrous caricature, but true

And then in the middle is Nick bloody Clegg?! How? Why?

Also check out their PERFECTLY and identically furnished homes. A desert state Santa Fe aesthetic with hints of Nordic woodiness and an English hearth. The blue accents in Clegg’s home are so eerily on-point I wonder if it is all CGI and if they are all just avatars created by GPT3
    Talking of perfect homes, who the f8ck has two walls of floor to ceiling bookshelves and no f8cking books!!!!
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

SINGLE FIGURES

There's some kind of Laffer curve here that can be drawn and I reckon 8 is closer to the ideal than, say, 28.
    I know someone who has easily gone into triple figures and I think at that point it's less achievement and more symptom. He's not happy and never has been.
    I’m well over 280. Is that pathological? I don’t think so. I like sex and I can get it, and when I can’t get, I’m prepared to pay for it

Am I happy? No, not really. Am I unhappy? No, not that either. I’m alive

And when it comes to my deathbed I think I shall be glad I’m at the 280 end of the spectrum rather than 8. I’ve lived and loved and laughed and left, as James Joyce rightly said
    That's a fairly precise "well over" - are you a notches on the bed post kind of guy.

I'm high single figures and it still took me some thought to work out the number (much of my twenties was in a uni relationship, then four years after that ended I met my wife).

For two of the happiest of my male friends the figure is, to the best of my knowledge, 1 (school and university sweethearts respectively) .

Still, life would be dull if we were all the same. If 280+ works for you then good luck to you.
    Isn’t every man a ‘notches on the bedpost kind of guy’? We all count, as that surprisingly wise article linked by HYUFD explains. It’s human to count. Women do it too. Perhaps even more assiduously, and they measure each other by this metric

I sat down the other day and tried to work out my own notches. It’s a blur. But it is definitely over 300. How do I know this? Because I spent a decade whoring. And I never repeated. That’s 200 right there. 20 a year. Easily done

And I have had at least 100 partners that were one night stands/flings/affairs/girlfriends/sex parties

I don’t just knap flint dildos for money
    That’s a lot of experiences that turned out not worth repeating.
    Exactly. If we extend the travel analogy, it's like visiting a whole bunch of countries via a load of day trips from the airports. I'd much rather spend a year backpacking around India and immerse myself in the place. And I think I would learn more about travel that way.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Clegg of course the only peacetime LD leader since Lloyd George to end up in government and now likely to have had a say in the rebranding of one of the biggest corporations in the world, Facebook, to Meta as their VP of Global Affairs.

Plus earning an alleged $2 million a year and supposedly quite the magnet for women in his youth.

I am sure it makes up for losing his seat and leaving his party in the doldrums in 2015
    That's true if you care more about your own personal wealth and status more than the damaging impact you have on the rest of the world. Nick Clegg is a sell out of the highest order.
  • Options
    Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Clegg of course the only peacetime LD leader since Lloyd George to end up in government and now likely to have had a say in the rebranding of one of the biggest corporations in the world, Facebook, to Meta as their VP of Global Affairs.

Plus earning an alleged $2 million a year and supposedly quite the magnet for women in his youth.

I am sure it makes up for losing his seat and leaving his party in the doldrums in 2015
    That's true if you care more about your own personal wealth and status more than the damaging impact you have on the rest of the world. Nick Clegg is a sell out of the highest order.
    Facebook has brought more happiness to more people than any political party.

Nick Clegg should be proud to play a role in its success.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

- the train - closed
    - east to Kendal - but can't even get to Broughton because Duddon Bridge is closed
    - up the coast and across to the M6 somewhere near Penrith - also out because a bridge at Holmrook is closed.

In theory I could try driving over the fells and hope to get to the central lakes and out that way. But not sensible when there has been lots of rain and local floods and if you get stuck the sheep will do sod all to help.

Not that I want to get out just yet. But have a theatre ticket in London on 8th November so just planning my escape route for then.

The good news though is that some people are ignoring the closed roads signs and driving through anyway. The contempt people round here have for Cumbria County Council has to be seen to be believed.

Perhaps the local council will finally do something about strengthening the bridges, an issue which people have complained about for some time.

Climate change is a concern here. If sea levels rise, a lot of coastal communities round here will be underwater. Not where I am. But nearby and it will affect Sellafield and nuclear storage plans and the West Coast mainline.

Also the nonsense of insurance algorithms intended to assess flood risk. I had to move from John Lewis when they discovered the house was 200m from the sea and wanted to more than double the premium. Yet there’s App somewhere that I used to show that everyone I know in London’s homes would have become homes to the fishes before rising sea reached the bottom of my garden; it’s not coming up here.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Con hold in Grantham.
    Last one this week.
    Scores. 5 Con and 1 Lab holds.
    1 Lab gain from UKIP.
    1 Ind gain from Con.

Back to sexy talk.

No real sign of a green surge, at all.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Incorrect on two grounds;

1) Lloyd George did not becomeLiberal leader until 1926, so was not Liberal leader while in government;

2) Herbert Samuel was Home Secretary from 1931-32.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Facebook has brought more divisiveness to more people, than just about any other company in history.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Facebook has brought more divisiveness to more people, than just about any other company in history.
    Totally agree. It's an utterly disgusting organisation. Pure filth.

But as Robert described people as 'retarded' yesterday I suspect he and I are a very long way apart on what constitutes decent behaviour.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

And is now Metastasizing.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    edited October 2021
    Cyclefree said:

- the train - closed

Do you mean the Cumbrian coastline? The WCML goes inland through Penrith and over Shap Fell. If that floods then it’s more than Millom, Whitehaven and Sellafield will be flooded!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

And is now Metastasizing.
    That’s very good 👍
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    rcs1000 said:

The starving will have to be on the demand side.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

No, Twitter has brought more divisiveness to more people. Facebook mostly brings pictures of my friends' kids.

In my feed this evening: pictures of a Flamenco evening a friend went to, a family dinner, a bad joke*, pictures of a friend's son in a cart race.

Facebook, by and large, is not a place for arguments and divisiveness. Other than when I suggested that the fast lanes on motorways should be restricted to higher rate taxpayers**, I have never lost a friend on Facebook. But I've seen lots of people fall out on Twitter.

* They say that filling animals with helium is wrong. I saw whatever floats your goat.

** It was a joke
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Totally agree. It's an utterly disgusting organisation. Pure filth.

But as Robert described people as 'retarded' yesterday I suspect he and I are a very long way apart on what constitutes decent behaviour.
    No, I referred to a security question Citibank thought appropriate to be "retarded".

I would also consider being rude to a moderator as "unwise".
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

No, Twitter has brought more divisiveness to more people. Facebook mostly brings pictures of my friends' kids.
    Blimey this is simplistic.

Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you not understand how trackers - euphemistically called 'cookies' as if to make them sound nice - work? Facebook is responsible for egregious, aggressive, data mining all over the world. Their approach to trackers is insidious and vile and they don't give an iota about people's privacy nor their rights.

They are one of the most stench-laden organisations ever to creep out of the swamp.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

The starving will have to be on the demand side.
    Quite right.

If you want to make Shell less profitable, use less oil.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Aslan said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Blimey this is simplistic.

Are you being deliberately obtuse or do you not understand how trackers - euphemistically called 'cookies' as if to make them sound nice - work? Facebook is responsible for egregious, aggressive, data mining all over the world. Their approach to trackers is insidious and vile and they don't give an iota about people's privacy nor their rights.

They are one of the most stench-laden organisations ever to creep out of the swamp.
    Wow.

I know exactly how cookies work. And I know exactly how internet advertising works. I know how the ad exchanges work. I know how programmatic works.

What you're doing is making a few handwaving gestures, and then pointing fingers.

With Facebook, you are the product. And yes, you get very valuable* targeted adverts. Don't like it, don't use it. But there is nothing intrinsically evil about it, unless you think people voluntarily exchanging the receipt of targeted advertising for a free service is somehow immoral.

* Valuable to the advertiser
  • Options
    Your extreme supply-side attitude Robert is sooooo very American and that's not in this case a compliment. We clearly have a very different attitude and approach to company ethics and responsibility.

Let's park our discussion there. Have a good day.
This discussion has been closed.