Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

December 2024: A tongue-in-cheek prediction – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    tlg86 said:

Origi scores Liverpool's goal of the season.

Better than anything Salah has scored this season.

Poor man’s Giroud.
    Nah, Divock won the Champions League and the semi thanks to his goals.

Plus, he also scored the greatest ever goal in the Merseyside Derby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnmRE0-M270
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,591
    From wiki on caviar

“Wild beluga sturgeon caviar from the Caspian Sea was priced in 2012 at $16,000 per 1 kilogram (35 oz).[15] Cheaper alternatives have been developed from the roe of whitefish and the North Atlantic salmon”

That $5 kilo of caviar I bought in Baku in the 90s….
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,376
    Clearly a miss kick...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,005

So, labour spokesperson, which taxes will you cut?
    To be fair, I think their policy is to cut corporation tax.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,356
    edited October 2021
    Deleted - just spotted someone else posted it
  • Options

A much more respectable defence against Liverpool tonight at the Deepdale Stadium than at Old Trafford.

Even Llandudno FC would have been better
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157
    Last few weeks have been maybe the worst I remember for strong believers in EU integration like myself. Entropy keeps growing and there seems to be little awareness of it

https://twitter.com/macaesbruno/status/1453457678756372482
  • Options
    Leon said:

From wiki on caviar

“Wild beluga sturgeon caviar from the Caspian Sea was priced in 2012 at $16,000 per 1 kilogram (35 oz).[15] Cheaper alternatives have been developed from the roe of whitefish and the North Atlantic salmon”

That $5 kilo of caviar I bought in Baku in the 90s….

Very mouldy by now, I would have thought.
  • Options

isam said:

Did £5000, then down to £2500 and now back up to £3500. Going to leave it there now.

You’re responsible for £17,000 of the £1,778 traded on the market. Impressive!

As I said yesterday, it's not on Smarkets.
    This is a betting site. I don’t understand your reluctance to share where you got this bet and details of it.
  • Options
    Labour's are shredded you mean?

39% associate the Tories with Economic responsibility.
    26% associate Labour with Economic responsibility.
  • Options
    Labour's on that poll 39/26
  • Options
    Taz said:

isam said:

Did £5000, then down to £2500 and now back up to £3500. Going to leave it there now.

This is a betting site. I don’t understand your reluctance to share where you got this bet and details of it.
    I think it's obvious why.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177

Last few weeks have been maybe the worst I remember for strong believers in EU integration like myself. Entropy keeps growing and there seems to be little awareness of it

https://twitter.com/macaesbruno/status/1453457678756372482

Must put in more energy to stop that entropy growth then. Else disorder will be the order of the day.

• Options

Clearly a miss kick...
    Its not the Tweet doesn't do it justice. Watching it on Sky they showed about 8 different angles of the goal and its just remarkable, I don't think I've ever seen a goal like it. He kicks it over his own head and ducks down for it to go past too.

If there's a bizarre goals award, that definitely deserves goal of the season for that.
  • Options
    City have been Hammered out of the League Cup.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

I've been reflecting on the Budget, and have concluded that for the vast majority of the British public it is a complete non-event, with precisely zero ramifications for household budgets at a time of rising costs. By this, I mean that there is very little, if any, tangible impact from the measures announced in the here and now, which is unusual for a Budget. This is not the case for those on the minimum wage or UC, but for everybody else, I think it's "so what?" - particularly for the 'squeezed middle'. Even the alcohol duty changes, which I think are not very significant actually, don't come into effect until 2023. For voters, most of the measures are a bit abstract.

So, the budget is either:

a) clever politics by Rishi - steady as she goes, or
    b) a missed opportunity to make his stamp as an interesting and innovative Chancellor.

At the moment, I'm running with the latter.

I think you are missing that benefits and pensions will rise by 3.1% on the 1st April and with the NLW rising by 6.6% to £9.50 then earnings in April will see quite an uplift but of course inflation will be in the mix
    And the fact the tax increases were announced earlier
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,452
    Liz Truss response incoming. In 1...2...3...

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited October 2021

City have been Hammered out of the League Cup.

West Ham, striking a blow for east London :)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

It’s a fair conclusion to draw but he/she doesn’t strike me as someone to lie or mislead about something like that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Taz said:

Who would want to go into politics these days?

Police have arrested a man accused of making threats against the Labour deputy leader, Angela Rayner.

Sources close to Rayner, who is away from parliament on bereavement leave, confirmed she was the women concerned after Greater Manchester police announced the arrest.

The Guardian understands Rayner has cancelled her constituency surgeries in recent weeks amid concerns for her safety – linked to a wider increase of abuse and threats, including death threats, against her.

Friends said she had been deeply affected by the abuse, which had been taken particularly hard by her children. One described the deputy leader as “not in a good place” and said she had been unable to make many public appearances because of fears for her safety.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/27/man-held-on-suspicion-of-making-threats-against-angela-rayner?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

No one should be put in that position for entering politics. Our politics is fragmented, polarised and divided. It’s an awful place at times

At the labour conference she used deliberately inflammatory language to pander to her supporter base, doubled down on it when rightly challenged. It in no way justifies this mans actions but I hope she will reconsider such statements in future.
    I sort of knew at the start of your post you'd get around to a "but" in the end. You didn't disappoint.
    Do you think she shouldn't reconsider calling her opponents "scum"?
    I think it was right for people to complain about Rayner's comments at the time and in the future too, but wrong to link them syntactically with talking about the threats against her. Even with the weasel-worded preface, it serves to encourage people to think that the victim is at least partially responsible for their treatment by others.
    We saw the same thing some days ago, somebody on here highlighted a couple of instances of commentators saying something like "awful news about David Amess but remember he voted for blah or against blah". I think the wrongness of that was a bit easier to see because murder is so much more dramatic than threats, but the principle is the same.

You know that thing people sometimes say, no ifs, no buts. I think that means something. Threats and violence are wrong, no ifs no buts.
    I've reconsidered and I think you're right.

I also think what I said earlier "its pertinence is enhanced" was right for the same reason, but I came to the wrong conclusion about talking about it right now.

We should only be criticising her assailant. Scum is the right word.
  • Options
    So to sum up Starmer's week:

1) Calls for restrictions on the vaccinated just as new cases start to fall

2) Panders to NHS anti-vaxxers with a poll showing how unpopular that is

3) Despite his mask wearing gets infected with covid

4) Sees his replacements do a better job than he does
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Never had caviar. Probably never will.

Had it. Wasn't that impressed by it. Not had it again since.

I'd rather have good sushi.
    We had caviar on two of our trips to Russia years ago, but neither of us were impressed
    From the Russian side of the family, I've heard that the combination of high prices and foreigners has attracted the inevitable. The crooks are faking caviar in Russia by the ton...
    Can you even get the real wild caspian stuff any more? It’s all farmed now…
    There is a sturgeon farm in Garforth, just east of Leeds.
  • Options
    THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    Rishi Sunak talking about importance of first 1000 days of a child’s life as though he’s the first to think of it.

If family hubs are so important - why did they shut more than a thousand Sure Start centres?
  • Options
    Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

It’s a fair conclusion to draw but he/she doesn’t strike me as someone to lie or mislead about something like that.
    Just basing it on the fact that no one else has been able to find a bookie/exchange offering the bet.
  • Options
    eek said:

I've been reflecting on the Budget, and have concluded that for the vast majority of the British public it is a complete non-event, with precisely zero ramifications for household budgets at a time of rising costs. By this, I mean that there is very little, if any, tangible impact from the measures announced in the here and now, which is unusual for a Budget. This is not the case for those on the minimum wage or UC, but for everybody else, I think it's "so what?" - particularly for the 'squeezed middle'. Even the alcohol duty changes, which I think are not very significant actually, don't come into effect until 2023. For voters, most of the measures are a bit abstract.

So, the budget is either:

a) clever politics by Rishi - steady as she goes, or
    b) a missed opportunity to make his stamp as an interesting and innovative Chancellor.

At the moment, I'm running with the latter.

I think you are missing that benefits and pensions will rise by 3.1% on the 1st April and with the NLW rising by 6.6% to £9.50 then earnings in April will see quite an uplift but of course inflation will be in the mix
    And the fact the tax increases were announced earlier
    I have to say the politics of this by Rishi was extraordinary getting the tax rises out of the way, leaking good bits to the press, than a barnstorming speech, and though he was rebuked by the speaker and deputy, he looks a formidable politician

To be honest he overshadowed Boris completely and for me the change cannot come soon enough
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar
    Rishi Sunak talking about importance of first 1000 days of a child’s life as though he’s the first to think of it.

If family hubs are so important - why did they shut more than a thousand Sure Start centres?

How much of that has happened since Sunak became an MP?
    It's a fair criticism of the Conservatives, but not of Sunak if he didn't contribute to those decisions (I'm not sure).
  • Options

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Maybe because Brown left the country with no money so they couldn't be afforded then?

Plus it was different people then. Sunak wasn't even an MP until 2015 let alone Chancellor.
  • Options
    Wild suggestion of the day.

How do Labour wrestle the agenda back?

Promise to cut income tax to 15p by taxing wealth and non income earnings.

Hammer those who have, to reward those that work.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037
    edited October 2021

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Maybe because Brown left the country with no money so they couldn't be afforded then?

Plus it was different people then. Sunak wasn't even an MP until 2015 let alone Chancellor.
    Or because Osbourne didn’t have a clue and did a number of things out of spite.

After all he thought the equivalent of a 75% tax on those earning just above the bare minimum (I.e those on universal credit) was fine when even IDS said it was too high.
  • Options

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

It was a myth that there was no money. There's no money now, but somehow the BoE is creating it by buying up all the government debt.

For some reason that wasn't possible in 2010.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited October 2021
    I don't think reporting or polling on budgets is ever particularly useful, since most of what is said on both sides is just partisan cliches, most of the 'initial takes' are prepackaged praise or criticisms, or generic fluff, and as with most political events the public don't really notice pretty significant things even when told about them, and the plans might fall due to some inconsequential detail that gets focused on for reasons no one really knows.

That said, the BBC main page headline of 'Sunak unveils help for low paid in post-Covid budget' is surely pleasing for at least one figure, and could be and often is a lot worse as far as single line summaries go.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,230
    I: Big spender ⁦@RishiSunak⁩ takes tax burden back to 1950’s #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1453466624456015875/photo/1
  • Options

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

SureStart really makes me angry. It really was working turning around the worst problems in deprived families.

Ditched by Osborne. Purely for partisan reasons.

Shameful.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    If the Conservatives are more associated with tax rises than Labour its probably because you have to be in power to raise taxes and Labour havent been.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Is it pb etiquette not to use the term ‘lie’?
  • Options

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

It was a myth that there was no money. There's no money now, but somehow the BoE is creating it by buying up all the government debt.

For some reason that wasn't possible in 2010.
    Utter brown stuff. That bullshit is worthy of @kinabalu in Brownian nonsense.

Are you proposing we just print money for day-to-day expenditure?

The BoE has stopped buying money already and the deficit is falling fast, already forecast today is to get the deficit falling within three years of the pandemic.

The Tories took over a couple of years after the financial crisis with the deficit staggering 10% of GDP not falling fast.

Brown wrecked the public finances. They're not wrecked now, there's been a recession but we went into it with the deficit closed and its getting rapidly closed now after it.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    edited October 2021

German cases are still rising vertically. It looks like they'll exceed the peak from last winter soon.

They're months behind the UK in lifting restrictions.

They're going to either have to maintain restrictions at least until spring or summer next year, or face their exit wave in the winter. Neither is an attractive option.

Not lifting restrictions in the summer was a terrible mistake by a lot of countries. I really worry for their winter - I hope I'm wrong!
    It will have taken at least six months for Delta to pass through the UK.

It seems unlikely that other countries will not have similar timescales.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why Scotland does so few covid tests ?

And which demographics are not being tested in Scotland but are in England ?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,010
    edited October 2021
    RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Just basing it on the fact that no one else has been able to find a bookie/exchange offering the bet.
    Maybe he’s backing and laying it with himself!

Any bookie laying £5k of a weird, niche, easily manipulated market, that’s traded less than 2k on one of the exchanges needs their head examined, if they exist.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Wild suggestion of the day.

How do Labour wrestle the agenda back?

Promise to cut income tax to 15p by taxing wealth and non income earnings.

Hammer those who have, to reward those that work.

And then they realise that 27% of income tax is paid by 1%. And the 1% has gone walkabout.

"Sorry, poor people, we have to put the taxes UP on you as well...."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    edited October 2021
    kle4 said:

I don't think reporting or polling on budgets is ever particularly useful, since most of what is said on both sides is just partisan cliches, most of the 'initial takes' are prepackaged praise or criticisms, or generic fluff, and as with most political events the public don't really notice pretty significant things even when told about them, and the plans might fall due to some inconsequential detail that gets focused on for reasons no one really knows.

That said, the BBC main page headline of 'Sunak unveils help for low paid in post-Covid budget' is surely pleasing for at least one figure, and could be and often is a lot worse as far as single line summaries go.

Let's be frank - I think the Budget was expertly trailed (as I said at the weekend) and smoothly delivered and will produce a Tory bounce in the next polls. But I doubt if it will produce a lasting effect - Sunak has sprayed money around to all sectors but not enough for a major long-term shift in attitudes. It does, though, cement him as the potential successor if Johnson stumbles.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,379

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

SureStart really makes me angry. It really was working turning around the worst problems in deprived families.

Shameful.
    What evidence is there for this.. and what was the cost per family?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512

kle4 said:

Let's be frank - I think the Budget was expertly trailed (as I said at the weekend) and smoothly delivered and will produce a Tory bounce in the next polls. But I doubt if it will produce a lasting effect - Sunak has sprayed money around to all sectors but not enough for a major long-term shift in attitudes. It does, though, cement him as the potential successor if Johnson stumbles.
    The big ticket item that anyone working will notice is the NI increase. The rest is all trimming as far as personal finance is concerned (excepting possibly the UC taper for those affected)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    Stocky said:

I don't understand this John Lewis advert thing. You are covered by accidental damage if you have elected for this on your policy. Otherwise you are not.

The ad was pulled because the FCA said that it was misleading. Deliberate damage is not included in their insurance and accidental only as an extra. They now have to go out to the customers they sold the insurance to to explain this and make sure they're happy.

Quite why someone in the financial services arm of John Lewis did not spot this before the ad given that lots of people spotted it within minutes of it being shown is another question.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896

The BoE has stopped buying money already and the deficit is falling fast, already forecast today is to get the deficit falling within three years of the pandemic.

The Tories took over a couple of years after the financial crisis with the deficit staggering 10% of GDP not falling fast.

Brown wrecked the public finances. They're not wrecked now, there's been a recession but we went into it with the deficit closed and its getting rapidly closed now after it.

I can certainly appreciate after the emergency spending of 2020-21 and to an extent 2021-22, the public finances are going to look a lot healthier as the tax receipts come rolling in - perhaps we'll even have a surplus in 2022-23.

The longer-term problem is the accumulation of debt caused by the virus and the long-term management of that debt - did I see it was now the fifth largest single item of public expenditure. Servicing that debt is basically going to be a Ministry in itself for the foreseeable and money spent servicing the debt is money that can't be spent elsewhere or tax cuts which can't be offered.

• Options
    stodge said:

I can certainly appreciate after the emergency spending of 2020-21 and to an extent 2021-22, the public finances are going to look a lot healthier as the tax receipts come rolling in - perhaps we'll even have a surplus in 2022-23.

The longer-term problem is the accumulation of debt caused by the virus and the long-term management of that debt - did I see it was now the fifth largest single item of public expenditure. Servicing that debt is basically going to be a Ministry in itself for the foreseeable and money spent servicing the debt is money that can't be spent elsewhere or tax cuts which can't be offered.

You are quite right that the issue with debt is how you service it, not how you repay it (since you won't).

Thanks to the stewardship of Osborne onwards, our debt servicing costs have remarkably come down significantly in the past decade rather than going up, as a proportion of GDP. Our debt servicing cost may be the fifth largest item of expenditure but that's not new - and its actually down not up.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

isam said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

Any bookie laying £5k of a weird, niche, easily manipulated market, that’s traded less than 2k on one of the exchanges needs their head examined, if they exist.
    The story is less credible than the notion that Leon is a noted flint dildo knapper who travels around the world writing travel stories for the Flint Knapper Gazette.
    Well of course that's absurd - obviously he's freelance and writes stories for many reputable flint knapping and antique sex toy publications. Duh.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,094
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    God this is depressing;

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1453373283278245896

Real wages are expected to remain stagnant for 20 years.

In 2026, wages are forecast to be £11.70 lower than if the pre-2008 trend in wage growth had continued.

• Options
    Wow even Kevin Maguire backing Sunak's reform to the UC Taper and calling for more to be done going forwards on that. First time I've ever agreed with Kevin Maguire possibly.

Fixing this taper issue would end the poverty trap and mean people can work their way out of poverty rather than relying on benefits. That's good for the poor, and its good for anyone who believes people should be working.

Well done Sunak. Delighted this has gone through. Hope its a first step not a last step on this going forwards.
  • Options
    ping said:

God this is depressing;

In 2026, wages are forecast to be £11.70 lower than if the pre-2008 trend in wage growth had continued.

Isn’t it the case that people get higher wages through their career progression though? Obviously not for everyone.
  • Options
    Thank God I live on a hill.

1/3 of London's annual rainfall is due to fall on Cumbria in the next 24 hours. The river Kent in Kendal is already pretty high.......

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

1/3 of London's annual rainfall is due to fall on Cumbria in the next 24 hours. The river Kent in Kendal is already pretty high.......

It does have similarities to the atmospheric river that hit in 2015. But then Cumbria, with its height and westerly location is prone to a lot of rain.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Will,your daughters restaurant be okay ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,847
    Cyclefree said:

Always buy a house on a hill, as we are doing bugger all to stop global warming. This little graphic is an eye-opener to why:

• Options

stodge said:

You are quite right that the issue with debt is how you service it, not how you repay it (since you won't).

Thanks to the stewardship of Osborne onwards, our debt servicing costs have remarkably come down significantly in the past decade rather than going up, as a proportion of GDP. Our debt servicing cost may be the fifth largest item of expenditure but that's not new - and its actually down not up.
    Not that remarkably, as interest rates have collapsed to near zero across the developed world.

The Swiss Government issues 10 year government bonds, and is *paid* to do so (they sell a CHF1m bond for over CHF1m!)
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited October 2021

ping said:

God this is depressing;

Isn’t it the case that people get higher wages through their career progression though? Obviously not for everyone.
    The thing I don’t get is; we now have all these new tools that are supposed to make us more productive - mobiles, computers, apps etc yet measures of productivity like wages are stagnant. It’s not like the productivity gains have been captured by capital - eg the ftse 100’s performance over the period is unimpressive.

I don’t understand it.
  • Options
    Cut for champagne is not looking too good tonight.

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,498
    ping said:

ping said:

God this is depressing;

The thing I don’t get is; we now have all these new tools that are supposed to make us more productive - mobiles, computers, apps etc yet measures of productivity like wages are stagnant. It’s not like the productivity gains have been captured by capital - eg the ftse 100’s performance over the period is unimpressive.

I don’t understand it.
    The productivity gains are offset by the proliferation of sites like PB. Workers choose to be equally productive and spend more time on PB, rather than more productive with same time on PB :wink:
  • Options
    Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Will your daughters restaurant be okay ?
    Yes, it's nearby.

Kendal may be at risk. And the police are advising avoiding the Ambleside area. Some local roads and fields get a bit waterlogged.

Fingers crossed the rain clouds pass without too much damage.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,157
    ping said:

ping said:

God this is depressing;

I don’t understand it.
    Unfortunately the extra productivity went into the creation of social media content.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Always buy a house on a hill, as we are doing bugger all to stop global warming. This little graphic is an eye-opener to why:

bloody baby boomers
  • Options
    ping said:

God this is depressing;

That's a very disingenuous image for many, many reasons.
    1. Why 1997-2008? The Tories took over in 2010, why 2008 figures? Because 2008 was before the bubble burst. Its a fake peak.
    2. There wasn't a 'trend' from 1997-2008. There was growth 1997-2002, then it slowed down to 2004, then it increasingly slowed to a flatline. 2006-2010 there was no growth.
    3. Most importantly it doesn't take into account the national deficit at all. The government is one of the largest employers of all (directly and indirectly) and as furlough has shown its easy to pay wages if you're not bothered about raising money to pay for it - if you are its a different matter.
    4. To be a more meaningful comparison you should adjust the income by that person's share of the government deficit (or surplus).
    5. Remember that there was a budget surplus in 2001 that was turned into a 10% budget deficit by 2010. So really wages were falling from ~2004 onwards, it was just masked by blowing up the deficit.
    6. Remember that there was a 10% budget deficit in 2010 that was eliminated by 2019 pre-pandemic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,034
    ping said:

ping said:

God this is depressing;

I don’t understand it.
    I'm not sure that things like mobiles and apps do in fact make people more productive.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Not that remarkably, as interest rates have collapsed to near zero across the developed world.

The Swiss Government issues 10 year government bonds, and is *paid* to do so (they sell a CHF1m bond for over CHF1m!)
    Yes, it's nothing whatsoever to do with Osborne or his stewardship. Everything to do with the low inflation environment caused by a number of structural factors.
  • Options

Why not?

My wife looks Prosecco, why should that be subject to £1 more in tax than a same-strength bottle of white wine?
  • Options

THIS!!! 100x this...

Pippa Crerar
    @PippaCrerar

Shameful.
    What evidence is there for this.. and what was the cost per family?
    Tonybee.

In our book, ‘The Verdict: Did Labour Change Britain?’ we give the highest marks to Labour’s nursery and Sure Start programme as one of that government’s most permanently transformative successes.

https://labourlist.org/2013/06/sure-start-one-of-labours-most-permanently-transformative-successes/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That's a fair point and its a risk if interest rates go up again, though its worth remembering the UK has a very long-dated profile of bonds over decades not just ten years.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,635
    Selebian said:

ping said:

ping said:

God this is depressing;

I don’t understand it.
    The productivity gains are offset by the proliferation of sites like PB. Workers choose to be equally productive and spend more time on PB, rather than more productive with same time on PB :wink:
    Or you wander past a London construction site, where a round dozen polish blokes are trying to manhandle a picture window sized piece of glass up some scaffolding. Cranes? What are they?

Does anyone know why Scotland does so few covid tests ?

And which demographics are not being tested in Scotland but are in England ?

Different people at the top of the medical establishment there.

In England, there were a bunch who were adamant that the number of tests couldn't be increased much beyond 50K per day, and that in any case mass testing is bad.... they were bulldozed out of the way.
  • Options

Could this be Rishi's 'Pasty Tax' - a relatively sensible technical tweak that sent out all the wrong messages? (The media were gunning for Dave and Ozzy at the time - 'put these posh upstarts in their place' - but I suspect Rishi still has plenty of political capital so he'll probably be fine.)
  • Options

Could this be Rishi's 'Pasty Tax' - a relatively sensible technical tweak that sent out all the wrong messages? (The media were gunning for Dave and Ozzy at the time - 'put these posh upstarts in their place' - but I suspect Rishi still has plenty of political capital so he'll probably be fine.)
    You think people are going to object to the price of their Prosecco etc coming down? 🤔

I don't drink the stuff much myself, but I pay for it when I take the Mrs out, so will benefit from this. I'm not going to object to less taxes on her drinks - I can't see many others are.

The Mirror etc will be desperate to get something to 'stick' but cutting the price of a drink that's very popular now across the country across all ages isn't going to be it. The idea that 'bubbles' are for the wealthy hasn't been true for decades now.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited October 2021
    People talk about the Universal Credit taper - but the point is that even with the current taper we are paying UC to people on very high incomes:

Single person, 2 children:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Pension contributions £1,200/year
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

(Plus £35.15 Child Benefit per week)

It's obscene really - single people on minimum wage are paying tax so that someone on a gross salary of £40,000 can get over £8,000 of UC.

NB. The "Gross UC" is £472.36

The taper (at 63% of net pay above £67.62 per week) is £316.79

Leaving an actual UC cash payment of £155.57.

That, of course, will now rise when the taper falls to 55%.
  • Options

Aaron Bastani
    @AaronBastani
    ·
    15m
    Numerous budgets under Osborne and Hammond saw rapid u-turns and a loss of policy credibility. Pasty tax, national insurance contributions being most memorable.

Forensic Labour led by the ‘grown ups’ now seemingly incapable of that. Not landing a tickle, let alone a punch.

===

Erm, would that be Ed Balls who led the attack that led to u-turns?

That Ed Balls?

The arch Brownite? The non Marxist? One of many that the Corbyn Cult wanted out of the way in order to better enable their march to overthrown the capitalist junta?
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,228
    MikeL said:

People talk about the Universal Credit taper - but the point is that even with the current taper we are paying UC to people on very high incomes:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

It's obscene really - single people on minimum wage are paying tax so that someone on a gross salary of £40,000 can get over £8,000 of UC.

Agreed. Absolutely immoral that the state pays for people having children.

If you want children you should pay for them yourself!

Worst change in tax and benefits approach in last 40 years. In 1980 if you had children you took responsibility for them.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

It's obscene really, single people on minimum wage are paying tax so that someone on a gross salary of £40,000 can get over£8,000 of UC.

Leaving a UC payment of £155.57.

Its not obscene, what's obscene is taxing that person on minimum wage a 75% tax rate. 🤦‍♂️

I couldn't care less if millionaires get UC. They'll be the ones paying for it in the first place. 🤦‍♂️

The person on a £40k salary is a net tax payer incidentally even if they get some back in UC.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

Worst change in tax and benefits approach in last 40 years. In 1980 if you had children you took responsibility for them.
    Child Benefit has existed in one form or another since 1909.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

That's a fair point and its a risk if interest rates go up again, though its worth remembering the UK has a very long-dated profile of bonds over decades not just ten years.
    It does, and the UK has managed its debt maturity profile pretty well.
  • Options

You think people are going to object to the price of their Prosecco etc coming down? 🤔

I don't drink the stuff much myself, but I pay for it when I take the Mrs out, so will benefit from this. I'm not going to object to less taxes on her drinks - I can't see many others are.

The Mirror etc will be desperate to get something to 'stick' but cutting the price of a drink that's very popular now across the country across all ages isn't going to be it. The idea that 'bubbles' are for the wealthy hasn't been true for decades now.
    Sunak banged on about Prosecco rather than Champers.

The latter of course far more associated with the landed than the former, which is guzzled by the bucket by every bridezilla.
  • Options

Rationally, that's probably true, but politics isn't always about the rational. After all, the pasty tax made logical sense.

Rishi can almost certainly get away with this, but it's a foolish priority vfir a tax cut when money is tight and taxes are going up elsewhere.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,228

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

But in the old days eg 1980 people took responsibility for bringing up and paying for their children. Not today (in too many cases).
  • Options
    edited October 2021

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

It's obscene really, single people on minimum wage are paying tax so that someone on a gross salary of £40,000 can get over£8,000 of UC.

Leaving a UC payment of £155.57.

Its not obscene, what's obscene is taxing that person on minimum wage a 75% tax rate. 🤦‍♂️

I couldn't care less if millionaires get UC. They'll be the ones paying for it in the first place. 🤦‍♂️

The person on a £40k salary is a net tax payer incidentally even if they get some back in UC.
    I recall a story from Rome - I think it was one the Gracchi brothers was in the market place, seeing the corn dole being given out.

He was rather surprised to see a very wealth opponent of the corn dole there. Who said something on the lines of "I don't agree with you sharing out my wealth. But if you are, I am going to be get a piece of it back."
  • Options

Rationally, that's probably true, but politics isn't always about the rational. After all, the pasty tax made logical sense.

Rishi can almost certainly get away with this, but it's a foolish priority vfir a tax cut when money is tight and taxes are going up elsewhere.
    Its entirely rational. Its a rational fix to the tax system that is justified - why should English sparkling white wine be taxed more than an imported bottle of French red wine?

Plus it generates feelgood headlines at not much economic cost.

What would you prioritise instead where you would get a better bang for your buck in a reform that doesn't cost any more than this does?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,026
    kle4 said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

The story is less credible than the notion that Leon is a noted flint dildo knapper who travels around the world writing travel stories for the Flint Knapper Gazette.
    Well of course that's absurd - obviously he's freelance and writes stories for many reputable flint knapping and antique sex toy publications. Duh.
    He has international coverage. His articles can be found in magazines on the top shelves of newsagents throughout Azerbaijan, stained with stale caviar.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

But in the old days eg 1980 people took responsibility for bringing up and paying for their children. Not today (in too many cases).
    Responsibility? Luxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxuuuuuuuuuuury

{Opens another bottle of Chateau de Chassilier}

When I was a lad, we.......
  • Options

kle4 said:

isam said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

RobD said:

Taz said:

isam said:

He has international coverage. His articles can be found in magazines on the top shelves of newsagents throughout Azerbaijan, stained with stale caviar.
    I was in a black cab driven by an Azerbaijani just the other day.....
  • Options

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

Yes yes, people are terrible nowadays and the world is going to hell in a handcart. Just like it has been for the last 3000 years.
  • Options
    Well, well - not before time - the Post Office is looking for an experienced investigator with leadership experience to set up and lead a Central Investigations Unit.

Whoever gets it will be cleaning out the stables there for some time I imagine.

That's what countless miscarriages of justice, some damning court judgments, journalistic probing and one hell of a compensation claim leads to. If only they'd thought of this before .......
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Well, well - not before time - the Post Office is looking for an experienced investigator with leadership experience to set up and lead a Central Investigations Unit.

Whoever gets it will be cleaning out the stables there for some time I imagine.

That's what countless miscarriages of justice, some damning court judgments, journalistic probing and one hell of a compensation claim leads to. If only they'd thought of this before .......

“Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.”
  • Options

Sky News
    @SkyNews
    "The acid test for this budget isn't how it lands in the next few days but how this lands in the coming months against a backdrop of inflation, predicted to hit 4% next year, and continued cost of living pressures."
  • Options

Sky News
    @SkyNews
    "The acid test for this budget isn't how it lands in the next few days but how this lands in the coming months against a backdrop of inflation, predicted to hit 4% next year, and continued cost of living pressures."

Is that a real tweet? Literally no one will be talking about this budget in a year's time.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

Yes yes, people are terrible nowadays and the world is going to hell in a handcart. Just like it has been for the last 3000 years.
    You must have a rosy view of Ancient Sumer if that only started 3000 years ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

MikeL said:

Gross salary £40,000
    Rent £150/week
    Child care £100/week
    Council Tax £1,200/year

Gets £155.57 UC per week

You must have a rosy view of Ancient Sumer if that only started 3000 years ago.
    Of course. That was the Gudea old days.
This discussion has been closed.