Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Time for budget bingo – will Sunak say these words/phrases? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,383
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

On the budget there is a real cat and mouse game going on. The government hold the Commons in absolute contempt, used to blame Bercow for raising opposition and surely will soon start casting aspersions on Hoyle.

Mister Speaker - as the previous title-holder demonstrated - has a wide range of measures available. Whilst Holye - unlike Bercow - isn't likely to make up rules as they go along and freestyle, there are swathes of rules he can deploy to smash down the government.

It will be interesting to watch when this undoubtedly escalates into open warfare. The Leader of the House used to be the affable chap always quoting Erskine May to defend the rights of backbenchers against the government. How will he object to that very principle being slapped in his face...?

'Smashed down the government' - bit over the top

HMG should respect Parliament but the leaks have happened under every government.

I expect Hoyle will have a go before the statement then the budget will dominate the agenda until COP26

Bit over the top? The Spectator suggests that the Deputy Speaker simply thank Dishi for his Budget statement when he stands up and hands over to Starmer. And she could.

Leaks have never - ever - happened on this scale for the budget. The entire budget. Briefed to the press. So that they had 3 days to report the juiciest sections.
    The entire budget has not been leaked and there is a lot of detail to come

Leaks have always happened and is part of the lead up

I do not dispute there have been some headliners like the increase in the NLW and I do not expect Rishi to be gagged no matter how much many would like, especially labour as he puts his tanks on their lawn using an @HYUFD oft used expression
    We've come a long way from Hugh Dalton, though, haven't we?

And nobody is talking about gagging Rishi. He gets a whole set piece speech tomorrow.
    Some are suggesting the Speaker will go straight to Starmer for a reply to a budget speech that still has a lot of detail to be revealed and no doubt the unexpected surprise
    Except the Speaker doesn’t preside over the budget speech and debate, the Deputy Speaker does.
    The suggestion to be honest was silly anyway as there is a lot of detail to be given and other measures as well

The idea the whole budget has been revealed is blatant nonsense
    Its been the same every year for decades. All of Gordon Brown's big headlines normally were trailled in advance, typically with one rabbit to be pulled at the end that was left secret.

The Speaker will possibly give the PM a bit of a ticking off before PMQs and that will be that. Same as every single year.
    It's a bit daft really. It only means that the press concentrate on the bits that were not trailed, the sort of stuff of an unravelling. A tax on babies and apple pie, or something similar.
    Baby and apple pie? No no no....

You roast the babies. Quite apart from apple being the wrong fruit for meat pie....

You'll never make a Tory at this rate..
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Emma Raducanu should watch this 10-minute conversation between snooker champions Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan where they talk about the mental pressure in defending leads. Davis makes the point it can be worse mentally to defend a big lead when your opponent then has a couple of wins, than a narrow lead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTYa3GY55g

Would be more helpful if she watched the ball, tbh.
    Emma's taken your advice and stormed to a 3-0 lead and 1.05 on Betfair.
    She's still going to lose.

The same way Hamilton won last Sunday when I said he had it in the bag, I hope.
    5-0 and she has been backed off the boards.
    5-1 and there is 1.01 available again.
    LOL. Interviewed in English and answers in Romanian. :smiley:
    Whether or not she’s the real deal when it comes to tennis remains to be seen, but her instinct for PR is undoubtedly world class.
    I didn't know that they used PR in tennis.

I thought it was First Past the Net Post.
    Imagine an electoral system based on the tennis scoring system where the last vote decides the winner.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,153
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Thank God schools don’t bother with royal history now. I can think of almost nothing more tedious.

It's slightly useful to give you a hook onto which you can hang the interesting history. For instance, the history of the church pivots on Henry VIII and the reason Alfred burned the cakes, if that even happened, was because he was on the run from the Danes. So it all links in. That said, you're right. It's dull as fuck just on its own.
    Move over history, it's herstory now.

As in, herstory is nearly finished?
    Move over, Babs. It's time for Charles the Thick.
    No

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Surely it is time to replace the gendered terms King and Queen with something more appropriate for the 21st century.

My suggestion is President.

Monarch works, so does Sovereign.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,175

Taz said:

On the budget there is a real cat and mouse game going on. The government hold the Commons in absolute contempt, used to blame Bercow for raising opposition and surely will soon start casting aspersions on Hoyle.

Mister Speaker - as the previous title-holder demonstrated - has a wide range of measures available. Whilst Holye - unlike Bercow - isn't likely to make up rules as they go along and freestyle, there are swathes of rules he can deploy to smash down the government.

It will be interesting to watch when this undoubtedly escalates into open warfare. The Leader of the House used to be the affable chap always quoting Erskine May to defend the rights of backbenchers against the government. How will he object to that very principle being slapped in his face...?

HMG should respect Parliament but the leaks have happened under every government.

I expect Hoyle will have a go before the statement then the budget will dominate the agenda until COP26

Bit over the top? The Spectator suggests that the Deputy Speaker simply thank Dishi for his Budget statement when he stands up and hands over to Starmer. And she could.

Leaks have never - ever - happened on this scale for the budget. The entire budget. Briefed to the press. So that they had 3 days to report the juiciest sections.
    No it hasn’t and it is clear this govt holds parliament in contempt. I hope this Speaker acts soon.
    Yes, and it's not just about the budget leaks. The Speaker is furious because time and time again government ministers make announcements to the press, or at press conferences, before announcing them in parliament. I can't be bothered to track them all down, but Hoyle has admonished ministers/the government, including the PM, on numerous occasions, but it seems to make no difference. It was a big issue with lockdown stuff, when Johnson/Hancock made loads of announcements at press conferences before having the grace to tell parliament. They just say 'oops', and then carry on doing it. They're like a bunch of naughty schoolchildren.

And it is different from previous governments. I've never known a government that has held parliament in such contempt as this one. And what's worse, they don't care because they think, probably correctly, that most of the public don't care. That's populism for you - over-riding parliamentary democracy to use the media to best effect.
    Yes, I agree and I don’t think the public do care. They care about sewage going into rivers and the govt have been battered on that and labour done well with it. But about this, it’s seen as irrelevant by many,
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,004
    edited October 2021
    Farooq said:

Thank God schools don’t bother with royal history now. I can think of almost nothing more tedious.

It's slightly useful to give you a hook onto which you can hang the interesting history. For instance, the history of the church pivots on Henry VIII and the reason Alfred burned the cakes, if that even happened, was because he was on the run from the Danes. So it all links in. That said, you're right. It's dull as fuck just on its own.
    Under the National Curriculum all under 14s must learn about the British monarchy from Anglo Saxon times to the 20th century in history lessons
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,817
    HYUFD said:

If Starmer's speech team are any good, the leaks ought to make his impossible job much easier. He knows what he's replying to.

Admittedly, that's a fairly big if.

Meanwhile, LBC are flagging the student loan thing (i.e. a tax rise that isn't technically a tax rise and magically only affects younger people)... That's not on, is it?
    As HYUFD will point out, young people generally do not vote Tory and are therefore fair game. If they didn't want to be taxed to death they should have voted Tory in 2019 - especially all the ones who were too young. If they had the best interests of the country would stop them now being taxed to death.
    In more seriousness, I’m 48, and not personally affected by this.
    But those arseholes are fucking over my daughters.

If this does come to pass, I will be angrier with them than for a long time. But it will only last as long as my kids are affected. So, a little over forty years, if the rumours are true.
    And the Tories are going to be hoping that people will migrate to voting for them during the years that they are fucking them over.

The Tories have not won under 35s since 1987.

The Tories can win a majority as long as they win most over 45s and probably hold onto power as long as they win over 50s. Even now most people get on the property ladder by 40. They then have assets and so income taxes are less of an issue as they also have an asset's value to protect.

I doubt Rishi will raise income tax however and I hope he does not
    28 year olds will be 38 in ten years time.
    Ten years later, they will be 48. And with still nearly 15 years left to pay, because the Tories will have retrospectively changed the terms of their loan.

In the past, people have tended to migrate towards the Tories as they age. In the future, they will have far more reason not to migrate.

Those who graduated before 2012 will be a diminishing share of the electorate.
    And, of course, parents of those (such as myself) will also be angry.
    And I already have a house, so the Tories don’t have anything to hold out for me. Fuck them.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Surely it is time to replace the gendered terms King and Queen with something more appropriate for the 21st century.

If you want that move to the Republic of Ireland, France or the USA, Germany or Italy. We are keeping our royal family
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

If you want that move to the Republic of Ireland, France or the USA, Germany or Italy. We are keeping our royal family
    Sure, we can just use our Freedom of Mo... wait
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Charles is not thick, in fact he will probably be our brightest monarch since Edward VIIth and our first Oxbridge graduate on the throne since his great great grandfather too who also had a reasonable but short reign overshadowed by that of his mother and son
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Under the National Curriculum all under 14s must learn about the British monarchy from Anglo Saxon times to the 20th century in history lessons
    British kings? Or just English ones?
    How many King Kenneths have there been?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Charles is not thick, in fact he will probably be our brightest monarch since Edward VIIth and our first Oxbridge graduate on the throne since his great great grandfather too who also had a reasonable but short reign overshadowed by that of his mother and son
    So you're saying the queen is thick? To the tower with you, young man. To the tower.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I am using the ONS mid-2021 population figures. Which are the most accurate numbers for people actually existing.

The dashboard is (partly) using the NIMS population numbers. Which are less accurate.

I was also speak of the 1st dose rates.

You seem curiously interested in perception - why?

I've had this debate with @Philip_Thompson in the past - it seems absurd the Government's own website should be using inaccurate data. You and he are adamant the ONS numbers are correct yet the website uses NIMS.

I talk about perception because this website is called Politicalbetting.com.

Politics is about perception - that's all it is about to be honest. Getting past what people think is the truth to what is actually the truth - the percentage of Muslims in the population, the level of crime in their neighbourhood - is the difficult bit.

What the public thinks to be true is especially important for a populist Government which wants to be seen to be on the right side of public opinion at all times so perception is very important.

It's all very well churning out the "facts" on a daily basis but the perceptions people have about cases, deaths, vaccines, mask wearing, social distancing aren't always what the figures would lead you to believe.

Sometimes we have to step back and ask ourselves how we would convince someone at the bus stop or for @Anabobazina's benefit, someone down the pub, what they believe to be the truth is wrong and the data you present is in fact accurate.
    The people 'down the pub' don't care if the percentage of people double-vaccinated according to a website is xx.x% or xy.z%

The perceptions they will care about are far more down-to-earth. Are restrictions being imposed? Is the NHS treating them if they're sick? Are their loved ones healthy or sick? Can they keep going to the pub or is it being locked down?

All that matters is that as I said months ago on this site and was roundly criticised for saying it that we reached sufficient herd immunity months ago that we were able to lift all restrictions without seeing the return of exponential growth. The virus has gone from being one of exponential growth that will crash the NHS to an endemic disease in the background as we get on with our lives.

The virus had to burn through the pools of unvaccinated etc people which was primarily kids and antivaxxers. Kids have been back to school unrestricted now for about two months and as we reached half-term the evidence was it had already peaked and was now falling even amongst kids now.

There's a seasonality to this virus as there are for many viruses. So we'll need more immunity going into the winter to maintain herd immunity, thankfully it looks like we've achieved that over the autumn. I worry more for those nations that haven't been so successful.
  • Options

Lapsed as in "still a member of the Conservative Party" with membership fees in arrears...?

You are just ridiculous

My membership came due on the 1st September and I have not renewed it

At times you are just tiresome
    I'm confused now. I said you quit and you said no I didn't. Lapsed as in no longer a member? Or lapsed as in now 2 months deficient in your membership payments but still counted as a member (as you would be in Labour)
    I am not a member of the conservative party - end of story

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Emma Raducanu should watch this 10-minute conversation between snooker champions Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan where they talk about the mental pressure in defending leads. Davis makes the point it can be worse mentally to defend a big lead when your opponent then has a couple of wins, than a narrow lead.

Whether or not she’s the real deal when it comes to tennis remains to be seen, but her instinct for PR is undoubtedly world class.

I once sat next to Tina Turner during a tennis match.

I don't think she understood the scoring system.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

If Starmer's speech team are any good, the leaks ought to make his impossible job much easier. He knows what he's replying to.

Meanwhile, LBC are flagging the student loan thing (i.e. a tax rise that isn't technically a tax rise and magically only affects younger people)... That's not on, is it?
    As HYUFD will point out, young people generally do not vote Tory and are therefore fair game. If they didn't want to be taxed to death they should have voted Tory in 2019 - especially all the ones who were too young. If they had the best interests of the country would stop them now being taxed to death.

If this does come to pass, I will be angrier with them than for a long time. But it will only last as long as my kids are affected. So, a little over forty years, if the rumours are true.
    And the Tories are going to be hoping that people will migrate to voting for them during the years that they are fucking them over.

The Tories can win a majority as long as they win most over 45s and probably hold onto power as long as they win over 50s. Even now most people get on the property ladder by 40. They then have assets and so income taxes are less of an issue as they also have an asset's value to protect.

Ten years later, they will be 48. And with still nearly 15 years left to pay, because the Tories will have retrospectively changed the terms of their loan.

In the past, people have tended to migrate towards the Tories as they age. In the future, they will have far more reason not to migrate.

And I already have a house, so the Tories don’t have anything to hold out for me. Fuck them.
    They may well be 38 in ten years time, however the Tories can still win a majority even if most of them vote Labour as long as they win most over 45s. Even when they get to 48 and even if most still vote Labour the Tories can still likely win most seats as long as they win most over 50s.

In the past people have migrated to the Tories as they buy property, they still do today. The one exception was Blair in 1997 who won every generation including over 65s but that was a once in a century landslide defeat for the Tories unlikely ever to be repeated in my lifetime

• Options

Lapsed as in "still a member of the Conservative Party" with membership fees in arrears...?

You are just ridiculous

I'm confused now. I said you quit and you said no I didn't. Lapsed as in no longer a member? Or lapsed as in now 2 months deficient in your membership payments but still counted as a member (as you would be in Labour)

end of herstory
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Will the pie tax be levied at a rate of 3.142 pence in the pound?

A round figure certainly.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Petrol 145 even at Tesco ffs

141.7 at Asda in the Broch. I expect to find some a penny or so cheaper tomorrow in Aberdeen
    Up 3p since the weekend in downtown East London - 141.9 at Tesco's in the Barking Road.

Now, my recollection of 2008 was petrol reached 147.9p a litre just before the GFC but I might be getting confused with the oil price which I think was also up to that before Lehman Brothers fell.

Back to my dodgy memory and I also recall it was about $2 to the £ - I remember going to Las Vegas that year and living very well and buying three pairs of good shoes for the equivalent of £50 at an outlet store.

The point is, how much of the current rise in petrol prices is the result of the depreciation of sterling against the greenback - I think it's about $1.37 to the £ currently?
    None of it stodge.

Actually the pound/dollar exchange rate has been incredibly stable since early in the year (about February). Unusually stable considering its not exactly been a normal year. The pound is actually worth more now than it was a year ago, more than it was worth almost any time for the past five years in fact. So if the exchange rate was the driver then prices should have gone down not up.
  • Options
    Time for some good news.
    ‘Striking’ results of study show the £2,000 machines wiped out all traces of the virus on Covid-19 ward
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/26/air-filters-remove-covid-hospital-ward-finds-study/
  • Options
    On topic (!?!)

I had a look at the Budget Bingo, but not tempted at all. No Christmas bonus for Shadsy from me this time.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

So you're saying the queen is thick? To the tower with you, young man. To the tower.
    Not thick, just not an intellectual like Charles
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,192

You are just ridiculous

But Rochdale will be moving over to Con soon!

LAB > SLIB > CON. It's a natural progression! 👍
  • Options
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

I wouldn't say thick. Probably of average intelligence, like most royals. I think that she would have a good EQ, though not convinced that Charles does.
  • Options

You are just ridiculous

I think he's transitioning to the SNP personally.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    HYUFD said:

So now you want to deport republicans.

This new Bozo-HY Tory Party is a sight to behold.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

What’s forty-love got to do with it?
    Indeed.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

A hobby horse does not an intellectual make, even in the low bar world of the Royals.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

What’s forty-love got to do with it?
    Absolutely Nothing, as Frankie Goes To Hollywood might say....
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984
    geoffw said:

Time for some good news.
    ‘Striking’ results of study show the £2,000 machines wiped out all traces of the virus on Covid-19 ward
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/26/air-filters-remove-covid-hospital-ward-finds-study/

The key question is whether it wipes out all perception of the virus.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216

John Rentoul @JohnRentoul

Sorry to report that Janan Ganesh has won First Line of the Day *again*

https://ft.com/content/5be20065-74b6-497f-bea8-3c3357e9ee51
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They may well be 38 in ten years time, however the Tories can still win a majority even if most of them vote Labour as long as they win most over 45s. Even when they get to 48 and even if most still vote Labour the Tories can still likely win most seats as long as they win most over 50s.

In the past people have migrated to the Tories as they buy property, they still do today. The one exception was Blair in 1997 who won every generation including over 65s but that was a once in a century landslide defeat for the Tories unlikely ever to be repeated in my lifetime

And when they’re 52 and would formerly be free of student loan debt and now have ten extra years to go, you think they’ll lunge for the Tories?

I’ve got property, yet, mysteriously, I have no extra attraction to the Tories. Why should I? What benefit do I get from them? I’ve got my house now.

Although if people don’t get free of student debt until they’re in their sixties, that’ll affect how much money they have to spend on property.

And, of course, it’s not winner-takes-all in age groups. If you shift from, say, 45-40 behind in and age group to 55-30 behind, it’s not as if it’s no effect, even though you were losing before and would be losing again.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So now you want to deport republicans.

This new Bozo-HY Tory Party is a sight to behold.
    Don't go on holiday to France if you're a republican, they'll make you stateless while you're away.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Time for some good news.

Do you have a link to the actual research? I can't see past the paywall.

Sounds promising, it has been increasingly obvious for a year or so that aerosol is the main form of transmission.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,225
    edited October 2021

You are just ridiculous

Yep. Matt "I love Parmos Me" Vickers said the exact same thing

EDIT. Not strictly his fault because he isn't actually responsible for anything other than drinking more pints than William Hague, but there has been much mocking on Teesside of the "Parmo" that they served in the Palace.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Foxy said:

I'm a big fan of the circular economy.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

A hobby horse does not an intellectual make, even in the low bar world of the Royals.
    Charles got a 2:2 in History from Trinity College, Cambridge in 1970, a perfectly respectable degree back then, especially from Oxbridge and then also studied at Aberystwyth for a term. He also has a lifelong interest in a whole range of subjects from architecture to the environment
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

That's Simply the Best anecdote of the evening.
    We don't need another heroic pun contest.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Charles got a 2:2 in History from Trinity College, Cambridge in 1970, a perfectly respectable degree back then, especially from Oxbridge and then also studied at Aberystwyth for a term. He also has a lifelong interest in a whole range of subjects from architecture to the environment
    A Desmond is nothing to be proud of.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

No

Alfred and the cakes is a critical part of history though. At the time it was a capital offence to criticise the king.

So people told the story about burning the cakes.

But meaning that he neglected his duties as King, which is why the Danes beat three kinds of shit out of him and he ended up in Athelney in the first place
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm a big fan of the circular economy.
    We have nothing to sphere but sphere itself.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

A 2:2? What a thicko.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And when they’re 52 and would formerly be free of student loan debt and now have ten extra years to go, you think they’ll lunge for the Tories?

I’ve got property, yet, mysteriously, I have no extra attraction to the Tories. Why should I? What benefit do I get from them? I’ve got my house now.

Although if people don’t get free of student debt until they’re in their sixties, that’ll affect how much money they have to spend on property.

And, of course, it’s not winner-takes-all in age groups. If you shift from, say, 45-40 behind in and age group to 55-30 behind, it’s not as if it’s no effect, even though you were losing before and would be losing again.
    By then Labour would likely have been in power and have removed it but the assets they have to protect will outweigh in terms of house value the remaining student loan debt left.

As far as I can see you are an ideological leftwinger who would never vote Tory, so atypical, I am an ideological rightwinger who voted Tory even as a student, so atypical, I am talking the average voter.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

He studied at Aberystwyth?!

Move over, Meitner. Get lost, Bohr and Curie. Spinoza and Kant - don't make me laugh!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,193
    edited October 2021
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Do you think there was anonymous marking back then too? Being interested in lots of things is great, but I fear he has little depth of understanding. I can only relate a FOAF story, but if true it’s revealing. It concerns an engineer hired to tutor the prince. Charles had a limited attention span, and just was not interested.
    I have not met him. He may be far more intelligent than he seems, but the perception (word of the night) is that he is not.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Time for some good news.

Sounds promising, it has been increasingly obvious for a year or so that aerosol is the main form of transmission.
    The article doesn't give a link. I know we shouldn't copy articles wholesale here, but here's a quote:
    An air filtration machine made all traces of Covid-19 “disappear” from the air in a hospital ward, a study has revealed, which scientists say could signal the end of in-hospital transmission.

The machines, which contain a high-efficiency particulate absorbing filter and ultraviolet light, were placed in one Covid-19 ward and one intensive care unit (ICU) at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

During a three-week trial at the height of the second wave in January, air samples were taken when the machines were switched both on and off.

In the first week, when the filter was off, Covid-19 was detected in the air on all five days of sampling in the Covid ward.

But during the second week, when the device ran continuously, no Covid-19 samples were identified.

The results were “really quite striking”, said lead author Dr Andrew Conway-Morris, a critical care doctor at Addenbrookes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!
    No, state control of the economy is socialism.

Support for the monarchy and landed gentry and private wealth is the essence of Toryism
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Charles really isn’t that bright. He’s moderately intelligent, well read but few original thoughts. So much like the average person.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

In 1970 when only 10% went to university the average degree class was 2:2, only due to grade inflation since 2000 has the average degree class now become a 2:1
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

In 1970 when only 10% went to university the average degree class was 2:2, only due to grade inflation since 2000 has the average degree class now become a 2:1
    And was HRH the Prince of Wales’s work marked anonymously?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Charles really isn’t that bright. He’s moderately intelligent, well read but few original thoughts. So much like the average person.
    Charles is brighter than the average person and better read than the average person, the Queen is closer to the average person, she is more interested in horses than reading a book or intellectual discussion, though she speaks good French. She is also more practical than Charles and was a mechanic in the War
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!

Support for the monarchy and landed gentry and private wealth is the essence of Toryism
    Not anymore
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Time for some good news.

The article doesn't give a link. I know we shouldn't copy articles wholesale here, but here's a quote:
    An air filtration machine made all traces of Covid-19 “disappear” from the air in a hospital ward, a study has revealed, which scientists say could signal the end of in-hospital transmission.

The machines, which contain a high-efficiency particulate absorbing filter and ultraviolet light, were placed in one Covid-19 ward and one intensive care unit (ICU) at Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge.

During a three-week trial at the height of the second wave in January, air samples were taken when the machines were switched both on and off.

In the first week, when the filter was off, Covid-19 was detected in the air on all five days of sampling in the Covid ward.

But during the second week, when the device ran continuously, no Covid-19 samples were identified.

The results were “really quite striking”, said lead author Dr Andrew Conway-Morris, a critical care doctor at Addenbrookes.

So a fan, a HEPA filter, and UV light nicked from the cold cabinet at the local butcher?

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,630
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Do think he got to Cambridge on his ability or his connections?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

By then Labour would likely have been in power and have removed it but the assets they have to protect will outweigh in terms of house value the remaining student loan debt left.

As far as I can see you are an ideological leftwinger who would never vote Tory, so atypical, I am an ideological rightwinger who voted Tory even as a student, so atypical, I am talking the average voter.

I expect that a Labour government will wipe out the Student debt at some point. It will be an election winning policy, particularly if funded by a wealth tax.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    I voted Tory in 2005 and 2010. And supported the Coalition.
    Most of those who know me would laugh like a drain to hear me described as “an ideological leftwinger.”

I can expound for hours on the superiority of free markets over state control. If pushed, I would have voted anyone-but-Corbyn both of the last two times. Someone who would be identified on any political spectrum as “Orange Book Liberal or Cameroon Conservative” is NOT who you should be pushing away.

And describing as an “ideological leftwinger…” Heh.
    That’s funny. I think you tend to identify everyone who disagrees with you as that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Charles is brighter than the average person and better read than the average person, the Queen is closer to the average person, she is more interested in horses than reading a book or intellectual discussion, though she speaks good French. She is also more practical than Charles and was a mechanic in the War
    Yes, it's quite fashionable to be curious about your ancestors
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!

Not anymore
    Yes more, the Tories have not raised inheritance tax and are not imposing a wealth tax
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

A Desmond is nothing to be proud of.
    Isn't a 1970 2:2 equivalent to a Nobel Prize under modern grade inflation?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

MONARCHY = SOCIALISM!

Not anymore
    Yes more, the Tories have not raised inheritance tax and are not imposing a wealth tax
    Yet
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.
    Most of those who know me would laugh like a drain to hear me described as “an ideological leftwinger.”

I can expound for hours on the superiority of free markets over state control. If pushed, I would have voted anyone-but-Corbyn both of the last two times. Someone who would be identified on any political spectrum as “Orange Book Liberal or Cameroon Conservative” is NOT who you should be pushing away.

That’s funny. I think you tend to identify everyone who disagrees with you as that.
    If you meet a left-winger, then you've met a left-winger.
    If you meet left-wingers all day, then maybe you're a little too right-wing?

With apologies to Raylan Givens.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

So you voted Tory when they lost in 2005 and failed to win a majority in 2010 but did not vote Tory when they won majorities in 2015 and 2019. So again you are atypical.

If you prefer free markets to state control that can just make you a liberal, it does not mean you are a Tory.

We won a majority of 80 in 2019 when most Orange Book Liberals voted LD as did plenty of Cameron Conservatives because we won UKIP 2015 voters and Labour Leavers.

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

The top royals have access to the more interesting people in society. But they don’t all make best use of it. See Harry. Charlie however proved himself decades ahead of the curve on the environment, the biggest global problem of the early 21st Century, and arguably too on housing policy.

I don’t care much for the royal family as an institution but I’m quite looking forward to seeing what Charles will make of the role. Far more so than his nice but dim son.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Everyone else is driving on the wrong side of the road!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Time for some good news.

This looks like it:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.16.21263684v1.full-text

Works on other pathogens too, by the sound of it.

To be honest, I'm surprised that this hasn't been done before - filtering and sterilising air isn't exactly a new thing.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

The top royals have access to the more interesting people in society. But they don’t all make best use of it. See Harry. Charlie however proved himself decades ahead of the curve on the environment, the biggest global problem of the early 21st Century, and arguably too on housing policy.

I don’t care much for the royal family as an institution but I’m quite looking forward to seeing what Charles will make of the role. Far more so than his nice but dim son.
    Yes, he may well be quite a good King.

Not that we get any say in the matter. Its a close call that we are not having Prince Andrew as King.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

He may have wanted to do something about housing, but the ghastly outcome of Poundbury leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

It's going to be like Pogba against Liverpool. Delayed, ignominious, and brief.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

So you voted Tory when they lost in 2005 and failed to win a majority in 2010 but did not vote Tory when they won majorities in 2015 and 2019. So again you are atypical.

If you prefer free markets to state control that can just make you a liberal, it does not mean you are a Tory.

We won a majority of 80 in 2019 when most Orange Book Liberals voted LD as did plenty of Cameron Conservatives because we won UKIP 2015 voters and Labour Leavers.

According to your implied definition, only the swingiest of swing voters are “typical”
    Your definition has typical voters being a small minority.
    But I doubt you can even recognise that.

Or that you’ve effectively acknowledged that for parents to ensure their children don’t lose out in life, they have to ensure the Tories are defeated.

Not that the Tories would suddenly be flavour of the month after their policy is overturned or they lose power.

Traditionally, the Lib Dems got students. Like traditionally the Tories got people as they aged. Traditions break.

Just ask Nick Clegg or the Lib Dems how quick it is to be forgiven after screwing over students.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Foxy said:

geoffw said:

Time for some good news.

This looks like it:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.16.21263684v1.full-text

Works on other pathogens too, by the sound of it.
    To be honest, I'm surprised that this hasn't been done before - filtering and sterilising air isn't exactly a new thing.

Operating theatres and ICU are. This sounds as if it is being used in repurposed temporary wards, such as Theatre Recovery Areas at my hospital.
  • Options
    Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    Wednesday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Test & Trace criticised as ‘eyewatering’ waste of cash” #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

He may have wanted to do something about housing, but the ghastly outcome of Poundbury leaves a lot to be desired.
    I dislike the execution - bad pastiche - but, to be fair, it does seem to be an awful lot more popular than the efforts of the regular housebuilding companies.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Not that we get any say in the matter. Its a close call that we are not having Prince Andrew as King.
    Would take a hell of an accident to get Andrew back to number one in the line of succession.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,435
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Third like Charles

Changing name on becoming king would be such an act of unforced out of touch wankerdom that I am pretty certain he'll do it and be Edward 9 or something.
    George VII would be favourite.

Charles has unfortunate links to regicides and adulterers, Philip is complicated by the fact nobody is sure whether the other King Philip counts in regnal numbers, and all the Arthurs died before they could take the throne.
    Links to adulterers? I understood it was a bit closer to home than that!

(Allegedly etc. My main source is 'The Crown')
  • Options
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Worth bearing in mind that Chas has an impossible act to follow.
  • Options

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Would take a hell of an accident to get Andrew back to number one in the line of succession.
    No, but a horse riding accident in the 1970s or similar would have done it.
  • Options

Allie Hodgkins-Brown
    @AllieHBNews
    Wednesday’s Daily TELEGRAPH: “Test & Trace criticised as ‘eyewatering’ waste of cash” #TomorrowsPapersToday

My suspicion is that test and trace works when you can only be infectious when you are symptomatic. Covid has laughed at it.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

According to your implied definition, only the swingiest of swing voters are “typical”

Or that you’ve effectively acknowledged that for parents to ensure their children don’t lose out in life, they have to ensure the Tories are defeated.

Not that the Tories would suddenly be flavour of the month after their policy is overturned or they lose power.

Traditionally, the Lib Dems got students. Like traditionally the Tories got people as they aged. Traditions break.

Just ask Nick Clegg or the Lib Dems how quick it is to be forgiven after screwing over students.
    Normally Labour got students actually, they just went LD under Charles Kennedy and in 2010 in a brief protest over Blair's fees. They are back voting Labour again.

As I pointed out similarly over 55s normally voted Tory but voted for Blair in 1997, then went back to voting Tory again and still vote Tory now
  • Options

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

All the more reason to take a different approach.

He does rather remind me of his grandfather at times.
  • Options

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Impossible to follow, in the sense of being a great?
    Or that she just won't die?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,597
    Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Such self deprecation is admirable.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Impossible to follow, in the sense of being a great?
    Or that she just won't die?
    While we are the subject of Private Eye, I do love the occasional tales of when Charles hears news that leads him to believe his time has come. Heir of Sorrows indeed.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,175

You are just ridiculous

Yep. Matt "I love Parmos Me" Vickers said the exact same thing

EDIT. Not strictly his fault because he isn't actually responsible for anything other than drinking more pints than William Hague, but there has been much mocking on Teesside of the "Parmo" that they served in the Palace.

At this years Craft Beer Calling on the Town Moor there was a street food vendor specialising in the humble Parmo. Parmo-Rama. It’s now trendy street food too. Didn’t try it myself. Went for the Bao Bun.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Third like Charles

Changing name on becoming king would be such an act of unforced out of touch wankerdom that I am pretty certain he'll do it and be Edward 9 or something.

Charles has unfortunate links to regicides and adulterers, Philip is complicated by the fact nobody is sure whether the other King Philip counts in regnal numbers, and all the Arthurs died before they could take the throne.

Charles II was OK, wasn't he? Restoration, Royal Society and all that?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited October 2021
    No budget spread betting yet from Sportingindex which is a pity. If they do its best to sell the words Education , NHS and Euro I find . Million and Billion always seem to come in around the mark.

Also Rishi Sunak a water sipper or not ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

Normally Labour got students actually, they just went LD under Charles Kennedy in 2005 and in 2010 in a brief protest over Blair's fees. They are back voting Labour again.

As I pointed out similarly over 55s normally voted Tory but voted for Blair in 1997, then went back to voting Tory again and still vote Tory now
    I am not voting conservative unless they win my vote back, but then you have already excommunicated me along with many more who do not share your 1950 Little Englander outlook
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

All the more reason to take a different approach.

He does rather remind me of his grandfather at times.
    While not bright, he does seem to have been ahead of the curve on race relations, the environment and housing.
  • Options

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Third like Charles

Charles II was OK, wasn't he? Restoration, Royal Society and all that?
    Adultery, and moral cowardice in the face of the plague.
  • Options
    Ten O'Clock News - Big_G was absolutely right. Dishi has leaked that they are lifting the pay freeze on the poor sods who worked in critical public services throughout the pox.

But won't say by how much.

Or give even a suggestion about where this how much will come for.

Until next year. So its a budget leak of a "pledge" that isn't costed. Isn't happening. But people absolutely should vote for possible jam next year.

I take it all back.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,435

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope.

In my case it’s mainly because I work at University...😀
    How odd. My university colleagues are all very centrist, but I do find everyone else I meet to be insufferably right wing :wink:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Charles said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Your personal knowledge of them overwhelms me
This discussion has been closed.