Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Time for budget bingo – will Sunak say these words/phrases? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thank God schools don’t bother with royal history now. I can think of almost nothing more tedious.

Blimey, you were lucky never to study trigonometry.
    I loved trigonometry - can still remember SoHCaHToA to this day.
    That's a sine of intelligence.
    You just said that cos you wanted to show off.
    And I wanted to go off at a tangent.
    Looks like it's an acute case!
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Third like Charles

Changing name on becoming king would be such an act of unforced out of touch wankerdom that I am pretty certain he'll do it and be Edward 9 or something.
    George VII would be favourite.

Charles has unfortunate links to regicides and adulterers, Philip is complicated by the fact nobody is sure whether the other King Philip counts in regnal numbers, and all the Arthurs died before they could take the throne.
    Can he just call himself WTF he likes then? How about Nigel I ?

Gary II?

Kai III ?
    He should go for a name that reflect the United Kingdom.

Therefore he should call himself King Mohammed.
    My limited experience of people called Mohammed is they are not actually called Mohammed because it does not distinguish them from everyone else with the same name. So Charles could be King Mohammed known as King George. Which brings us back to square one.
    I'd say of all the Mohammeds that I know about 95% are known by their middle name, which was the intention of their parents.
    Perhaps King Abu Philip?

He should stick to Charles. King Oliver 1st would be the way to annoy the Roundheads...
    King Ibn Philip, shirley, Ed? Of, if Palestinian, King Abu George.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Emma Raducanu should watch this 10-minute conversation between snooker champions Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan where they talk about the mental pressure in defending leads. Davis makes the point it can be worse mentally to defend a big lead when your opponent then has a couple of wins, than a narrow lead.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTYa3GY55g

Would be more helpful if she watched the ball, tbh.
    Emma's taken your advice and stormed to a 3-0 lead and 1.05 on Betfair.
    She's still going to lose.

The same way Hamilton won last Sunday when I said he had it in the bag, I hope.
    5-0 and she has been backed off the boards.
    5-1 and there is 1.01 available again.
    LOL. Interviewed in English and answers in Romanian. :smiley:
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Thank God schools don’t bother with royal history now. I can think of almost nothing more tedious.

Well, it's a new angle, certainly.
    The last thing we need is a protracted series of puns.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Well, it's adjacent to the conversation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    I am delighted to see my predictive powers haven't waned and Miss Raducanu found a way back.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Petrol 145 even at Tesco ffs

141.7 at Asda in the Broch. I expect to find some a penny or so cheaper tomorrow in Aberdeen
    Diesel 148.9 at BP Eastern Avenue (Ilford) eastbound, but 149.9 at BP Eastern Avenue westbound.
    Where will the diesels collide? Show your workings.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

The last thing we need is a protracted series of puns.
    Don't be obtuse.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited October 2021

On the budget there is a real cat and mouse game going on. The government hold the Commons in absolute contempt, used to blame Bercow for raising opposition and surely will soon start casting aspersions on Hoyle.

Mister Speaker - as the previous title-holder demonstrated - has a wide range of measures available. Whilst Holye - unlike Bercow - isn't likely to make up rules as they go along and freestyle, there are swathes of rules he can deploy to smash down the government.

It will be interesting to watch when this undoubtedly escalates into open warfare. The Leader of the House used to be the affable chap always quoting Erskine May to defend the rights of backbenchers against the government. How will he object to that very principle being slapped in his face...?

'Smashed down the government' - bit over the top

HMG should respect Parliament but the leaks have happened under every government.

I expect Hoyle will have a go before the statement then the budget will dominate the agenda until COP26

• Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Emma Raducanu should watch this 10-minute conversation between snooker champions Steve Davis and Ronnie O'Sullivan where they talk about the mental pressure in defending leads. Davis makes the point it can be worse mentally to defend a big lead when your opponent then has a couple of wins, than a narrow lead.

6-1
  • Options

I wonder if Brenda is behind this?

Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have long cited social media toxicity as a factor in their decision to step back from royal life. And now, an analysis of more than 114,000 tweets about the couple has revealed a coordinated campaign of targeted harassment of Meghan on Twitter — and the 83 accounts responsible for approximately 70% of the negative and often hateful content.

On Tuesday, Twitter analytics service Bot Sentinel released a report examining Twitter activity related to the Sussexes and found that the majority of the hate and misinformation about the couple originated from a small group of accounts whose primary, if not sole, purpose appears to be to tweet negatively about them. Bot Sentinel’s analysis also revealed a level of sophistication and coordination between the accounts, who use their combined 187,631 followers to fuel a campaign of negativity against Harry and Meghan.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/bot-sentinel-meghan-markle-prince-harry-twitter?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

I could think of at least one person on this site who seems to loathe them enough to be behind this.
  • Options

Dune Part II greenlit by Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures.
    Guess I can start fancasting Damian Lewis as Emperor Shaddam IV now.

Brilliant news. Watched it yesterday with friends and will be going back to watch it with my septuagenarian mother on Thursday. So engrossing that, having been told how long it was, I was genuinely surprised when it ended. A real masterpiece.
  • Options

Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have long cited social media toxicity as a factor in their decision to step back from royal life. And now, an analysis of more than 114,000 tweets about the couple has revealed a coordinated campaign of targeted harassment of Meghan on Twitter — and the 83 accounts responsible for approximately 70% of the negative and often hateful content.

On Tuesday, Twitter analytics service Bot Sentinel released a report examining Twitter activity related to the Sussexes and found that the majority of the hate and misinformation about the couple originated from a small group of accounts whose primary, if not sole, purpose appears to be to tweet negatively about them. Bot Sentinel’s analysis also revealed a level of sophistication and coordination between the accounts, who use their combined 187,631 followers to fuel a campaign of negativity against Harry and Meghan.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/bot-sentinel-meghan-markle-prince-harry-twitter?bftwnews&utm_term=4ldqpgc#4ldqpgc

I could think of at least one person on this site who seems to loathe them enough to be behind this.
    I didn't know Prince Charles was that sophisticated with social media ...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited October 2021

RobD said:

I've now read the full Standards Committee report on Owen Paterson. Yes, I know I need to get a life, thanks. But it's quite interesting, honestly. In the interests of public service, there follows a very brief summary. Two things stand out:

1. His arrogance - essentially, without being explicit, he argues that he's too important and superior for the rules to apply to him.

2. The weakness of his defence. The rules allow for lobbying/paid advocacy in exceptional circumstances, where a "serious wrong or substantial injustice" is to be averted. However, in his 24 years as an MP he has only ever pointed to such an event twice: both in the interests of the two companies for which he was a ridiculously highly paid consultant.

Basically, he's guilty as charged, with knobs on.

If there are any other sad losers with too much time on their hands out there, here's the link:

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/290/committee-on-standards/news/158246/committee-on-standards-publish-report-on-the-conduct-of-rt-hon-owen-paterson-mp/

If the process was flawed, as it's being argued by some, then he has grounds for appeal. We'll soon see if this is all bluster.
    His argument that the process was flawed is covered comprehensively in the full report. It doesn't look to me like he has a leg to stand on. Remember, it's not an adversarial court hearing; it's a parliamentary inquiry. Paterson seems to think it should be the same as a criminal hearing, but it isn't. I'm not sure if he can appeal or not.
    It is an incredibly common tactic of people who are subject to complaints of this nature. Constantly attack and disrupt the process, causing confusion, then say that confusion shows it is unfair. Suggest pretty much anything shows bias, that a lack of looking at things that are irrelevant or covered elsewhere shows incompetence etc etc.

Another tactic is to move heaven and earth to delay things by being obstructive and difficult, then say the time taken, often your own fault, proves it is unfair.

I haven't read the report, sometimes those issues can be true, but they are also the stock arguments of obfuscators, evaders and deniers.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Petrol 145 even at Tesco ffs

141.7 at Asda in the Broch. I expect to find some a penny or so cheaper tomorrow in Aberdeen
    Up 3p since the weekend in downtown East London - 141.9 at Tesco's in the Barking Road.

Now, my recollection of 2008 was petrol reached 147.9p a litre just before the GFC but I might be getting confused with the oil price which I think was also up to that before Lehman Brothers fell.

Back to my dodgy memory and I also recall it was about $2 to the £ - I remember going to Las Vegas that year and living very well and buying three pairs of good shoes for the equivalent of £50 at an outlet store.

The point is, how much of the current rise in petrol prices is the result of the depreciation of sterling against the greenback - I think it's about $1.37 to the £ currently?
    Its also been reported that supermarkets have reduced some of their usual subsidies which has allowed their prices to rise.
  • Options

Watched Dune on Friday. Loved it, so this is great news.

Although I'm currently in the bad books with the other half for dropping a spoiler about the relationship between Paul Atreides and Vladimir Harkonnen.
  • Options
    TimT said:

I just didn't realise he was posting here!
  • Options

Although I'm currently in the bad books with the other half for dropping a spoiler about the relationship between Paul Atreides and Vladimir Harkonnen.
    Er...they have a relationship? That's a hell of a plot twist.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I thought it was rather an oblique take on the debate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited October 2021

I am prejudiced against the lead from previous films (dude is a charisma vacuum), but I have to say I found it to be very boring (if, as expected, visually spectacular) and I'd have assumed still pretty inpenetrable unless people had read the book as I have.

Not knowing until about 2 weeks ago that it was only half the story didn't help with that in fairness. Been surprised how much people loved it, I couldn't wait to get out of the cinema.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Yes, he goes by TSE, I believe. ;)
  • Options

No, Buzz, I *am* your father.
  • Options

On the budget there is a real cat and mouse game going on. The government hold the Commons in absolute contempt, used to blame Bercow for raising opposition and surely will soon start casting aspersions on Hoyle.

Mister Speaker - as the previous title-holder demonstrated - has a wide range of measures available. Whilst Holye - unlike Bercow - isn't likely to make up rules as they go along and freestyle, there are swathes of rules he can deploy to smash down the government.

It will be interesting to watch when this undoubtedly escalates into open warfare. The Leader of the House used to be the affable chap always quoting Erskine May to defend the rights of backbenchers against the government. How will he object to that very principle being slapped in his face...?

HMG should respect Parliament but the leaks have happened under every government.

I expect Hoyle will have a go before the statement then the budget will dominate the agenda until COP26

Bit over the top? The Spectator suggests that the Deputy Speaker simply thank Dishi for his Budget statement when he stands up and hands over to Starmer. And she could.

Leaks have never - ever - happened on this scale for the budget. The entire budget. Briefed to the press. So that they had 3 days to report the juiciest sections.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

The fact is that that is number of death reported that day. Which is a fact of interest.

What it doesn't tell us, is what is actually happening.

Hence day of death numbers.

As to perception, that is for iSage. Or is it phlogiston theory, that they are experts in?

The BMJ has a different line:

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2504

I've not followed this but some of the ISAGE members seem to have been singled out for plenty of criticism.

We've doubly vaccinated around 80% of the eligible population - New Zealand has made it to 71% from a much later start - and the benefits of getting doubly and even triply vaccinated are quite clear.

The health crisis is becoming a different beast - clearly, those who have been left waiting for prolonged periods for surgery need to be dealt with but there's a raft of psychiatric issues and it now seems we've all lost our immunity to colds and to respiratory viruses.

The issues facing hospitals and the ambulance service sound serious to this observer but all we want to talk about is wearing masks.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Er...they have a relationship? That's a hell of a plot twist.
    Not the slash fiction kind of relationship.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    stodge said:

As others have said, time for much nerve holding on the Coronavirus front. The death numbers look awful tonight but as has been said by all the "experts" on here, a lagging indicator and just a hint (and enough for some to hurl vitriol at SAGE and other scientists) we may be at the crest of the wave and heading down.

Let's hope so.

I hear disquieting news on booster vaccination availability in some parts of the country - it seems half the over-50s have already had their booster vaccination. Fair enough - I'm in the other half and my 6 months isn't up until the end of next month so I will also hold my nerve.

I'm not too worried - I was much more concerned in January when cases were high and vaccination only just beginning.

It’s actually “half of the eligible over-50s”
    Not half of all over over-fifties.
    It’s actually a bad stat for the Government. Over ten million are now eligible and they’ve only done a little over 5 million.
    There are about 36 million over-fifties-or-vulnerable. They’re trying to imply half of these have been done.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The headline number is the reporting day number, which gives us Murder Tuesday, when they report deaths for about 3 days in one go.

The fact is the numbers look bad for all the scientific and data analytical exposition behind them.

People see "263 dead" and will assume that's the number who died yesterday.

Don't confuse perception and truth.
    A somewhat odd series of posts from you. Positive tests - even under headline figures - now appear to be falling. Malmesbury has explained further. And you are banging on about ‘perception’.
  • Options

Well me for one but I am not on Twitter so sadly I can claim no credit.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I agree it wasn't the right angle.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217
    edited October 2021
    stodge said:

The fact is that that is number of death reported that day. Which is a fact of interest.

As to perception, that is for iSage. Or is it phlogiston theory, that they are experts in?

I've not followed this but some of the ISAGE members seem to have been singled out for plenty of criticism.

We've doubly vaccinated around 80% of the eligible population - New Zealand has made it to 71% from a much later start - and the benefits of getting doubly and even triply vaccinated are quite clear.

The health crisis is becoming a different beast - clearly, those who have been left waiting for prolonged periods for surgery need to be dealt with but there's a raft of psychiatric issues and it now seems we've all lost our immunity to colds and to respiratory viruses.

The issues facing hospitals and the ambulance service sound serious to this observer but all we want to talk about is wearing masks.
    The actual vaccination rates are, for the 24/10/2021, for England

12 to 15 0.22
    16 to 17 0.64
    18 to 24 0.76
    25 to 29 0.78
    30 to 34 0.84
    35 to 39 0.87
    40 to 44 0.92
    45 to 49 0.91
    50 to 54 0.95
    55 to 59 0.97
    60 to 64 0.98
    65 to 69 0.96
    70 to 74 0.96
    75 to 79 0.98
    80 to 84 0.93
    85 to 89 0.91
    90 upwards 0.83

Wales and Scotland are a bit better than this, NI worse.

Overall it is 85% of the 12+ population in the UK.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    It's my view responding to the Budget is the hardest part of the job for LOTO.

I can't think of that many who have been any good at it - it requires the twin art of listening to what's being said while formulating a response mentally and via whatever communication is possible with the Shadow CoE.

The third speaker has that little more time to digest what has been said and often produces a better response.

It does help the LOTO if the key points have been leaked in advance but if purdah has been properly observed, it's the classic example of having to think on your feet without having time to properly process what has been said.

This is Starmer's second Budget - it'll be interesting to see whether he has developed a different tone of response and he now has Rachel Reeves for whom this is the first Budget.
  • Options
    The new Dune is amazing, here's some pics from it.

• Options
    stodge said:

It's my view responding to the Budget is the hardest part of the job for LOTO.

I can't think of that many who have been any good at it - it requires the twin art of listening to what's being said while formulating a response mentally and via whatever communication is possible with the Shadow CoE.

The third speaker has that little more time to digest what has been said and often produces a better response.

It does help the LOTO if the key points have been leaked in advance but if purdah has been properly observed, it's the classic example of having to think on your feet without having time to properly process what has been said.

This is Starmer's second Budget - it'll be interesting to see and he now has Rachel Reeves for whom this is the first Budget.

Loto gets a look a couple of hours ahead of time....
  • Options
    stodge said:

As far as I can see, iSage deserve some criticism because they have been consistently wrong in their headline-hungry forecasts several times. Do you think they don’t?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,849

Brigadune: Every 20 years, an adaptation of Dune mysteriously appears on a hillside.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

TimT said:

Well we do have a poster called Charles... Although I think he is a bit posher than the Windsors.
    They could be a cadet branch of his family
  • Options

Bit over the top? The Spectator suggests that the Deputy Speaker simply thank Dishi for his Budget statement when he stands up and hands over to Starmer. And she could.

Leaks have never - ever - happened on this scale for the budget. The entire budget. Briefed to the press. So that they had 3 days to report the juiciest sections.
    If Starmer's speech team are any good, the leaks ought to make his impossible job much easier. He knows what he's replying to.

Admittedly, that's a fairly big if.

Meanwhile, LBC are flagging the student loan thing (i.e. a tax rise that isn't technically a tax rise and magically only affects younger people)... That's not on, is it?
  • Options

The entire budget has not been leaked and there is a lot of detail to come

Leaks have always happened and is part of the lead up

I do not dispute there have been some headliners like the increase in the NLW and I do not expect Rishi to be gagged no matter how much many would like, especially labour as he puts his tanks on their lawn using an @HYUFD oft used expression
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050

Ha ha. Always loved that video though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

To my mind, there’s an acute need to move on.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, I find it triggering.
  • Options

stodge said:

The headline number is the reporting day number, which gives us Murder Tuesday, when they report deaths for about 3 days in one go.

The fact is the numbers look bad for all the scientific and data analytical exposition behind them.

A somewhat odd series of posts from you. Positive tests - even under headline figures - now appear to be falling. Malmesbury has explained further. And you are banging on about ‘perception’.
    The odd posters to me are those who seem to want to ignore the fact the world has changed and try to imagine life is now exactly as it was in December 2019.

Most people don't have the time or the data analysis skills to look beyond the figure that's put in front of them.

263 looks a high number and that's what people will see. I know many people who are deeply worried by figures of thirty or forty thousand cases a day and there's no point explaining to me or wasting space on this thread blethering on about why they are wrong.

I know they are wrong - I'm pretty confident we are at the crest of the wave and the figures will soon fall but until people see that, they will be worried.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    I'm warming to a theme now. There is absolutely no way a public figure can change their name and not come across as at best a bit pompous. Puff Daddy, Kanye West, Prince - now, Prince retained some respect because he is an excellent songwriter and guitarist - but Prince Charles doesn't have that to fall back on yet. Even Andy Cole was met with some derision when he declared he wanted to be known as Andrew. Prince Charles's reign will be a suject of ridicule as soon as it starts if he calls himself anything other than King Charles III. I mean, people already consider him a bit pompous and a bit of an idiot. This absolutely will not help.
    People will give him airquotes whenever they use his name. "King 'GeorgeVII' is opening parliament." etc.
  • Options

If Starmer's speech team are any good, the leaks ought to make his impossible job much easier. He knows what he's replying to.

Meanwhile, LBC are flagging the student loan thing (i.e. a tax rise that isn't technically a tax rise and magically only affects younger people)... That's not on, is it?
    As HYUFD will point out, young people generally do not vote Tory and are therefore fair game. If they didn't want to be taxed to death they should have voted Tory in 2019 - especially all the ones who were too young. If they had the best interests of the country would stop them now being taxed to death.
  • Options

I do not dispute there have been some headliners like the increase in the NLW and I do not expect Rishi to be gagged no matter how much many would like, especially labour as he puts his tanks on their lawn using an @HYUFD oft used expression
    We've come a long way from Hugh Dalton, though, haven't we?

And nobody is talking about gagging Rishi. He gets a whole set piece speech tomorrow.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I mentioned "acute" upthread!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, I find it triggering.
    But only to a degree, I hope.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited October 2021

And nobody is talking about gagging Rishi. He gets a whole set piece speech tomorrow.
    Some are suggesting the Speaker will go straight to Starmer for a reply to a budget speech that still has a lot of detail to be revealed and no doubt the unexpected surprise
  • Options

12 to 15 0.22
    16 to 17 0.64
    18 to 24 0.76
    25 to 29 0.78
    30 to 34 0.84
    35 to 39 0.87
    40 to 44 0.92
    45 to 49 0.91
    50 to 54 0.95
    55 to 59 0.97
    60 to 64 0.98
    65 to 69 0.96
    70 to 74 0.96
    75 to 79 0.98
    80 to 84 0.93
    85 to 89 0.91
    90 upwards 0.83

The Covid dashboard says different:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.256419468.668816765.1634896776-877049474.1634896776

86.5% single vaccination.

79.3% of those aged twelve and over doubly vaccinated.

That's what people will see - if you are going to tell me the Government's own figures are inaccurate, fine.

Perhaps you should take it up with the Government's own statisticians.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964
    edited October 2021

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Whether or not she’s the real deal when it comes to tennis remains to be seen, but her instinct for PR is undoubtedly world class.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

If they do actually mess with the student loan repayment length/thresholds it will be the angriest I’ve been with the Government in a long time
  • Options
    Cookie said:

I'm warming to a theme now. There is absolutely no way a public figure can change their name and not come across as at best a bit pompous. Puff Daddy, Kanye West, Prince - now, Prince retained some respect because he is an excellent songwriter and guitarist - but Prince Charles doesn't have that to fall back on yet. Even Andy Cole was met with some derision when he declared he wanted to be known as Andrew. Prince Charles's reign will be a suject of ridicule as soon as it starts if he calls himself anything other than King Charles III. I mean, people already consider him a bit pompous and a bit of an idiot. This absolutely will not help.
    People will give him airquotes whenever they use his name. "King 'GeorgeVII' is opening parliament." etc.

Spot on. Historical precedent means fuck all. He'll be The Monarch Formerly Known as Charles.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,514

I really want to zig a zig ha!
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Some are suggesting the Speaker will go straight to Starmer for a reply to a budget speech that still has a lot of detail to be revealed and no doubt the unexpected surprise
    Except the Speaker doesn’t preside over the budget speech and debate, the Deputy Speaker does.
    What's the reason for that? Its one of the biggest set piece events of the year, so its odd that the Speaker takes it off.
  • Options
    stodge said:

12 to 15 0.22
    16 to 17 0.64
    18 to 24 0.76
    25 to 29 0.78
    30 to 34 0.84
    35 to 39 0.87
    40 to 44 0.92
    45 to 49 0.91
    50 to 54 0.95
    55 to 59 0.97
    60 to 64 0.98
    65 to 69 0.96
    70 to 74 0.96
    75 to 79 0.98
    80 to 84 0.93
    85 to 89 0.91
    90 upwards 0.83

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.256419468.668816765.1634896776-877049474.1634896776

That's what people will see - if you are going to tell me the Government's own figures are inaccurate, fine.

I am using the ONS mid-2021 population figures. Which are the most accurate numbers for people actually existing.

The dashboard is (partly) using the NIMS population numbers. Which are less accurate.

I was also speak of the 1st dose rates.

You seem curiously interested in perception - why?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Except the Speaker doesn’t preside over the budget speech and debate, the Deputy Speaker does.
    The suggestion to be honest was silly anyway as there is a lot of detail to be given and other measures as well

The idea the whole budget has been revealed is blatant nonsense
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

I'm sure HMQ has more important things to do with her time than spread hate on Twitter with multiple fake accounts.

That said there is a part of my mind that imagines her actually being behind the "Elizabeth Windsor" Twitter account lol!
  • Options

rpjs said:

What's the reason for that? Its one of the biggest set piece events of the year, so its odd that the Speaker takes it off.
    It is also strange the LOTO responds not the shadow COE
  • Options
    Cookie said:

The Prince Formerly Known As Charles ©️
  • Options

rpjs said:

The suggestion to be honest was silly anyway as there is a lot of detail to be given and other measures as well

Now that you have quit the party in disgust you don't have to defend the indefensible.

Don't ask me. Ask the Speaker. Or ask the Leader of the House for all the years before he became Leader of the House.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

The odd posters to me are those who seem to want to ignore the fact the world has changed and try to imagine life is now exactly as it was in December 2019.

Most people don't have the time or the data analysis skills to look beyond the figure that's put in front of them.

263 looks a high number and that's what people will see. I know many people who are deeply worried by figures of thirty or forty thousand cases a day and there's no point explaining to me or wasting space on this thread blethering on about why they are wrong.

I know they are wrong - I'm pretty confident we are at the crest of the wave and the figures will soon fall but until people see that, they will be worried.
    I still don’t really grasp what point you are trying to make. That some people are fearful? Yes, sadly months of fear-mongering by government and the media will have that effect. But, we knew that.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited October 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

Spot on. Historical precedent means fuck all. He'll be The Monarch Formerly Known as Charles.
    If he does take a different regnal name, I’m sure it’ll cause a brief stir but then most people will be “British eccentricity innit?” and then it'll be forgotten.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Now that you have quit the party in disgust you don't have to defend the indefensible.

Don't ask me. Ask the Speaker. Or ask the Leader of the House for all the years before he became Leader of the House.
    I have not quit the party in disgust but lapsed my membership

I am free to comment and critisise but more than anything hope to see a sensible opposition and that is conspicuous by its absence
  • Options

rpjs said:

Its been the same every year for decades. All of Gordon Brown's big headlines normally were trailled in advance, typically with one rabbit to be pulled at the end that was left secret.

The Speaker will possibly give the PM a bit of a ticking off before PMQs and that will be that. Same as every single year.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,348
    edited October 2021

Mr Speaker might cancel the budget and void this market.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/could-the-speaker-cancel-the-budget-

Could he not simply call Starmer to respond to the Budget, since it's already out there, and ignore Sunak completely ?

(Edit, I see that's what the article suggests.)
    So if I agree with the Spectator, it's obviously impossible...
  • Options

rpjs said:

Backbenchers, the Speaker and the Opposition complaining that Parliament wasn't told first has been going on for so long that the media being told first and Parliamentarians complaining about it is virtually a part of our unwritten constitution now.
  • Options

stodge said:

12 to 15 0.22
    16 to 17 0.64
    18 to 24 0.76
    25 to 29 0.78
    30 to 34 0.84
    35 to 39 0.87
    40 to 44 0.92
    45 to 49 0.91
    50 to 54 0.95
    55 to 59 0.97
    60 to 64 0.98
    65 to 69 0.96
    70 to 74 0.96
    75 to 79 0.98
    80 to 84 0.93
    85 to 89 0.91
    90 upwards 0.83

I am using the ONS mid-2021 population figures. Which are the most accurate numbers for people actually existing.

The dashboard is (partly) using the NIMS population numbers. Which are less accurate.

Who knows? This is a truly bizarre rabbit hole, and one that I’m trying - and failing - to navigate.
  • Options

That was a really fascinating conversation, especially Davis's remarks about the difficulties of trying to deal with a challenger who brings something new to the table.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

rpjs said:

British eccentricity innit?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Could he not simply call Starmer to respond to the Budget, since it's already out there, and ignore Sunak completely ?
    Are you seriously suggesting all the budget measures have been leaked

And in such a silly situation Rishi would just give his speech responding to Starmer, who will have answered a budget without knowing details

The idea is nonsense
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,053

No it hasn’t and it is clear this govt holds parliament in contempt. I hope this Speaker acts soon.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

So it will be fun if Hoyle does take the chair.
  • Options

I've had this debate with @Philip_Thompson in the past - it seems absurd the Government's own website should be using inaccurate data. You and he are adamant the ONS numbers are correct yet the website uses NIMS.

I talk about perception because this website is called Politicalbetting.com.

Politics is about perception - that's all it is about to be honest. Getting past what people think is the truth to what is actually the truth - the percentage of Muslims in the population, the level of crime in their neighbourhood - is the difficult bit.

What the public thinks to be true is especially important for a populist Government which wants to be seen to be on the right side of public opinion at all times so perception is very important.

It's all very well churning out the "facts" on a daily basis but the perceptions people have about cases, deaths, vaccines, mask wearing, social distancing aren't always what the figures would lead you to believe.

Sometimes we have to step back and ask ourselves how we would convince someone at the bus stop or for @Anabobazina's benefit, someone down the pub, what they believe to be the truth is wrong and the data you present is in fact accurate.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,081

rpjs said:

I am free to comment and critisise but more than anything hope to see a sensible opposition and that is conspicuous by its absence
    You lapsed your membership in disgust, though, I seem to recall?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

(Edit, I see that's what the article suggests.)
    So if I agree with the Spectator, it's obviously impossible...
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Just as you think there is only so far the government can contempt parliament they find a new level. The Speaker can just keep calling ministers back to the dispatch box to explain themselves. Having resort to Simon Clarke who even Tory benches laugh at ("we don't comment on leaks") isn't a sustainable plan surely.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rpjs said:

Lapsed being how you quit the party.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rpjs said:

Not really

I am seeking fairness in the tax system and increasing wages for the lower paid but also interested in opposition proposals but at present they are silent
  • Options

Charles would be stupid to change his name. The public have known him as Charles for 70 odd years and will continue to call him that.

All it will mean is that people will say “King Charles or whatever hes called”

Knut ?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    stodge said:

I've had this debate with @Philip_Thompson in the past - it seems absurd the Government's own website should be using inaccurate data. You and he are adamant the ONS numbers are correct yet the website uses NIMS.

Politics is about perception - that's all it is about to be honest. Getting past what people think is the truth to what is actually the truth - the percentage of Muslims in the population, the level of crime in their neighbourhood - is the difficult bit.

What the public thinks to be true is especially important for a populist Government which wants to be seen to be on the right side of public opinion at all times so perception is very important.

It's all very well churning out the "facts" on a daily basis but the perceptions people have about cases, deaths, vaccines, mask wearing, social distancing aren't always what the figures would lead you to believe.

Sometimes we have to step back and ask ourselves how we would convince someone at the bus stop or for @Anabobazina's benefit, someone down the pub, what they believe to be the truth is wrong and the data you present is in fact accurate.
    The point of looking at the facts is that the perception will eventually be formed by facts emerging.

Hence analysis of various emerging statistics in various areas on PB.

For example, it is clear that the R number peaked around the 16th of the this month -

https://i.imgur.com/WIZmlk7.png

Given the way these trends work, this will feed through into "popular perception" later this week and early next.

The ONS mid 2021 numbers are the closest actual population survey by the official counters of people in the country, The ONS.

The NIMS numbers are inflated by a number of factors. It is an over-count of the population as named individuals may be registered twice, or those who have left the country are not removed.

This is well known. The reason that the NIMS numbers are used with the data were that (a) ONS 2019 was the previous dataset widely used (b) NIMS numbers are internal to the NHS.
  • Options
    Lapsed as in "still a member of the Conservative Party" with membership fees in arrears...?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Yes, well it’s good that you mentioned the pub because the point is that everyone I meet down there is double vaccinated and just getting on with their lives.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814

As HYUFD will point out, young people generally do not vote Tory and are therefore fair game. If they didn't want to be taxed to death they should have voted Tory in 2019 - especially all the ones who were too young. If they had the best interests of the country would stop them now being taxed to death.
    In more seriousness, I’m 48, and not personally affected by this.
    But those arseholes are fucking over my daughters.

If this does come to pass, I will be angrier with them than for a long time. But it will only last as long as my kids are affected. So, a little over forty years, if the rumours are true.
    And the Tories are going to be hoping that people will migrate to voting for them during the years that they are fucking them over.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Whether or not she’s the real deal when it comes to tennis remains to be seen, but her instinct for PR is undoubtedly world class.
    I didn't know that they used PR in tennis.

I thought it was First Past the Net Post.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Its been the same every year for decades. All of Gordon Brown's big headlines normally were trailled in advance, typically with one rabbit to be pulled at the end that was left secret.

The Speaker will possibly give the PM a bit of a ticking off before PMQs and that will be that. Same as every single year.
    It's a bit daft really. It only means that the press concentrate on the bits that were not trailed, the sort of stuff of an unravelling. A tax on babies and apple pie, or something similar.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    IshmaelZ said:

Cookie said:

King Charles aka the spaniel.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Marine le Pen is getting a warm reception from Orban in Hungary.

He's grabbed her hand just in time to stop her instinctively making a straight arm salute.
    Hopefully he will be out soon thanks to the small town mayor who the opposition are rallying to.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

It's slightly useful to give you a hook onto which you can hang the interesting history. For instance, the history of the church pivots on Henry VIII and the reason Alfred burned the cakes, if that even happened, was because he was on the run from the Danes. So it all links in. That said, you're right. It's dull as fuck just on its own.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

It's a bit daft really. It only means that the press concentrate on the bits that were not trailed, the sort of stuff of an unravelling. A tax on babies and apple pie, or something similar.
    I quite like the idea of a tax on babies, but please leave apple pie out of this. Apple pies are good.
  • Options

Lapsed as in "still a member of the Conservative Party" with membership fees in arrears...?

You are just ridiculous

My membership came due on the 1st September and I have not renewed it

At times you are just tiresome
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Farooq said:

It's slightly useful to give you a hook onto which you can hang the interesting history. For instance, the history of the church pivots on Henry VIII and the reason Alfred burned the cakes, if that even happened, was because he was on the run from the Danes. So it all links in. That said, you're right. It's dull as fuck just on its own.
    Move over history, it's herstory now.

• Options

If this does come to pass, I will be angrier with them than for a long time. But it will only last as long as my kids are affected. So, a little over forty years, if the rumours are true.
    And the Tories are going to be hoping that people will migrate to voting for them during the years that they are fucking them over.

How to retox the Nasty Party? Shit in the rivers* and on the young.

* though it seems the Tories have done a u turn on this, having sent the usual mugs out to defend the indefensible first.

• Options
    I visited an office today that still has Covid precautions (aka 'theatre') in place. This consisted of a temperature check on arrival and having to wear a face covering when not sat down.

I wondered whether my flu jab might have caused a raised temperature, but I came out as normal, so no need to chuck me out.

In contrast, at our offices it is back to normal. Except for many fewer people actually turning up.
  • Options

You are just ridiculous

My membership came due on the 1st September and I have not renewed it

At times you are just tiresome
    I'm confused now. I said you quit and you said no I didn't. Lapsed as in no longer a member? Or lapsed as in now 2 months deficient in your membership payments but still counted as a member (as you would be in Labour)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited October 2021

The Tories have not won under 35s since 2010 and have not won under 25s since 1983.

The Tories can win a majority as long as they win most over 45s and probably hold onto power as long as they win over 50s. Even now most people get on the property ladder by 40. They then have assets and so income taxes are less of an issue as they also have an asset's value to protect.

I doubt Rishi will raise income tax however and I hope he does not
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

Move over history, it's herstory now.

As in, herstory is nearly finished?
    Move over, Babs. It's time for Charles the Thick.
  • Options
    Surely it is time to replace the gendered terms King and Queen with something more appropriate for the 21st century.

My suggestion is President.
This discussion has been closed.