Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » You’ve read the blogs, listened to the podcasts – now watch

Comments

• Options

Pulpstar said:

I reckon an EU polling ban could lead to several publications on the price of fruitcake.

What it'll lead to is private polling for commercial organisations being leaked to bloggers and journalists.
    And your red tomatoes futures are up, your green apples are down tweets....
    Today I left 55 red shoes at home and bought 45 new green shoes.
    Puzzled – Mr TSE, do you have an odd number of feet?
    I was talking of pairs of shoes.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: "The initial reaction from all capitals is that nobody is happy with the UK proposal" - EU source on Tusk message to Cameron.

@BBCNormanS: "There is a lot of frustration and concerns. It’s clear the negotiations are going to be difficult.” - EU source on Tusk verdict
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2016
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: "The initial reaction from all capitals is that nobody is happy with the UK proposal" - EU source on Tusk message to Cameron.

@BBCNormanS: "There is a lot of frustration and concerns. It’s clear the negotiations are going to be difficult.” - EU source on Tusk verdict

In other words by the time the rest if eu have stuck their our in Cameron deal will be basically we can have a bag of crisps & a Mars bar extra.
  • Options
    Now now, we need the unbiased report from Russia Today about these events before commentating upon them.
  • Options

Now now, we need the unbiased report from Russia Today about these events before commentating upon them.
    I am sure londonbob can tell us all what is really going on....
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Scott_P said:

Hang on, I thought it was a done deal.

Cameron is no fool but I'm surprised he's betting his whole career on this referendum, it could easily backfire. In hindsight he'd have been far better stepping back and taking a more neutral stance, which is what I expected when he pledged the referendum.
  • Options

Cameron is no fool but I'm surprised he's betting his whole career on this referendum

Is he?

If the EU say no deal he can still campaign for out
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

So Matt Leblanc is joining Top Gear.

It makes sense - he already presents "Top Gear: the Races" and had the fastest time in the 'reasonably priced car', beating - I think - Rowan Atkinson by .1 of a second.

He'll be good.

How much does LeBlanc’s signing have, in your opinion, to do with Top Gear’s US appeal?

I am sure it was a factor - but he's a good fit. I'd like to see Sabine Schmitz on there too.

The key is the chemistry between the presenters. I suspect Evans might be the problem there. Look at the US version - same format but the chemistry just wasn't the same. Tanner Faust would work in the UK version too. He's been on a couple of times.

I understand the BBCs desire to continue it's biggest money earner and biggest franchise but to be honest I think they should have let it go. Chris Evans is no Clarkson. He is more of a cheeky chappie than an iconoclast.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Scott_P said:

Cameron is no fool but I'm surprised he's betting his whole career on this referendum

Is he?

Yeah right
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Are they actually moderates that they're bombing, or is it the Cameron definition of "moderates" which includes the al-Nusra Front and the like? (Genuine question)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Are they actually moderates that they're bombing, or is it the Cameron definition of "moderates" which includes the al-Nusra Front and the like? (Genuine question)
    I don't think Russia are very picky. If you aren't with Assad, you are a terrorist...
  • Options
    Shocking joke for us oldies:

I've just bought Bonnie Tyler's
    Great Goalkeepers DVD.

It's totally clips of Joe Hart
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I don't think Russia are very picky. If you aren't with Assad, you are a terrorist...
    Flag of Al Nusra Front visible on the right here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Nusra_Front

(compare with Islamic State flag)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

O/T, but I want to sing the praises of a much maligned organisation - The Railways

Just back from a three day trip which due to eyesight was done by train, mostly by Virgin Trains on the East Coast Mainline. OK ,some of the carriages were a bit clapped out and tatty but every train was on time to the minute. The service on board was spiffing, BA could learn from it, and the attitude of the staff at all levels and in all places, not only on the trains but also in places like the Costa Coffee outlet on the platform at Newark and the chap with the dreadlocks who rescued me at St. Pancras International (he saw I was hopelessly lost and came, unbidden, to help - don't get that at Heathrow), was magnificent.

The railways in the UK get a lot of stick, and I have in the past been a wielder of that stick. Commuter lines into London are still sub-par, I'll accept but, by Jove, inter-city travel has come a very long way.

P.S. St Pancras International is a spiffing place and the cafe-bar where the dreadlocks bloke parked me for a while was excellent (trappist beer and a comfortable club chair).

St Pancras is fab. I've spent far too much time in Searcys
    Do you buy the overpriced artisan bread there ?

It is Corbyn central
  • Options
    Remain campaign is doing their best to give Leave campaign a run for their money in incompetence stakes:

http://order-order.com/2016/02/04/bse-apologise-work-of-fiction-claim-is-work-of-fiction/
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    QT from Bradford tonight I heard ;-) with Farage on.

Wonder what subjects we will be talking about ;-)
  • Options
    Charles Lister ‏@Charles_Lister 1h1 hour ago
    If it isn’t already, EU should be preparing for #Syria refugee flows the like of which we’ve never seen before. #Aleppo’s emptying en masse.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

isam said:

isam said:

Oakeshott always came across pretty well on the Sunday Politics. Although I know that her reputation on here has taken a downturn since pig-gate! I actually always preferred her to Janan Ganesh, who is too much of a George Osborne ''fanboy'' for my liking.

It was difficult for her reputation to take a downturn, given that it largely consisted of shopping her source to the police. But it did, nonetheless.
    What's your spread on buttons undone on her shirt?
    1.3-1.7 :D
    If it's no shirt no bet can I buy £50?
    Nope, I haven't really done my homework on this :)
    A score for fun?

Probably an even £35 either way
  • Options

Great Goalkeepers DVD.

That is really really bad - my sort of humor.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Cameron is no fool but I'm surprised he's betting his whole career on this referendum, it could easily backfire. In hindsight he'd have been far better stepping back and taking a more neutral stance, which is what I expected when he pledged the referendum.
    He's been done in by Negotiating 101 again. While France, Bulgaria and everyone else was busy criticising the deal and pushing for more leverage, he was touring the TV studios and telling parliament it was a 'massive return of power' and all round great deal.

Seems like he was more interested in selling deal while his ministers were gagged than on getting better deal for Britain.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

O/T, but I want to sing the praises of a much maligned organisation - The Railways

Just back from a three day trip which due to eyesight was done by train, mostly by Virgin Trains on the East Coast Mainline. OK ,some of the carriages were a bit clapped out and tatty but every train was on time to the minute. The service on board was spiffing, BA could learn from it, and the attitude of the staff at all levels and in all places, not only on the trains but also in places like the Costa Coffee outlet on the platform at Newark and the chap with the dreadlocks who rescued me at St. Pancras International (he saw I was hopelessly lost and came, unbidden, to help - don't get that at Heathrow), was magnificent.

The railways in the UK get a lot of stick, and I have in the past been a wielder of that stick. Commuter lines into London are still sub-par, I'll accept but, by Jove, inter-city travel has come a very long way.

P.S. St Pancras International is a spiffing place and the cafe-bar where the dreadlocks bloke parked me for a while was excellent (trappist beer and a comfortable club chair).

Do you buy the overpriced artisan bread there ?

It is Corbyn central
    No, it's in Camden, not Islington :)
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    800,000 'people' off new register. Half in London.

Will it change election results?

http://www.adjacentgovernment.co.uk/local-council-news/800000-people-lost-electoral-register/24179/#comment-110626
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Still 0 so far in the undecideds total criticisms of remain campaign spread

Wouldn't want to be short of the sup (leave over)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Tim_B said:

It makes sense - he already presents "Top Gear: the Races" and had the fastest time in the 'reasonably priced car', beating - I think - Rowan Atkinson by .1 of a second.

He'll be good.

Chris Evans needs to be punched in the face hard and often, and have half a raw onion stuffed up his rectum daily..

I get the impression that the Top Gear reboot in May is happening more by luck than judgment.

This is as good a place as any to reveal that I have never seen an episode of Friends. Or Seinfeld come to that.

You should watch "Episodes"
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221

Great Goalkeepers DVD.

O/T. I know you are a Chelsea fan, Nige. My old friend Reg is Chelsea's oldest paying member. he's 95. His dad was at the first ever Chelsea game at the Bridge in 1905. I think that's amazing.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Just drove up the Autobahn 7 from Germany onto the E45 into Denmark. Quite a heavy police / border security presence at the crossover German / Danish border. The autobahn was down to one lane, very slow speed 20mph blue flashing light barriers across the road. It was only a visual pass and then a wave on but I guess they know what they are targeting or looking for.

Of course there are a number of other minor road crossings between the two countries to the east and west of this main highway so not sure it they were guarded in a similar way. Perhaps? but I suspect not which confirms Mr RCS point that borders are passable whatever they do and it's only being an island that protects us in the UK yet again.

This wasn't there when I passed through a few months ago in the same area when I came across migrants at a service station heading north (on that side of the road anyway) . Didn't like the situation to be honest so decided to drive on rather than stop and get out.
  • Options

About a month ago, I actually managed to reach Manchester Piccadilly, finally (I reached Alderley Edge four years ago), albeit via Congleton and Macclesfield.
  • Options
    For light relief the exchange between Richard Graham and Liz Truss on Guido is wonderful
  • Options
    isam said:

Read tha five times and still can't work out meaning.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Tim_B said:

He'll be good.

Chris Evans needs to be punched in the face hard and often, and have half a raw onion stuffed up his rectum daily..

I get the impression that the Top Gear reboot in May is happening more by luck than judgment.

This is as good a place as any to reveal that I have never seen an episode of Friends. Or Seinfeld come to that.

Have done so.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Moses_ said:

Just drove up the Autobahn 7 from Germany onto the E45 into Denmark. Quite a heavy police / border security presence at the crossover German / Danish border. The autobahn was down to one lane, very slow speed 20mph blue flashing light barriers across the road. It was only a visual pass and then a wave on but I guess they know what they are targeting or looking for.

Of course there are a number of other minor road crossings between the two countries to the east and west of this main highway so not sure it they were guarded in a similar way. Perhaps? but I suspect not which confirms Mr RCS point that borders are passable whatever they do and it's only being an island that protects us in the UK yet again.

This wasn't there when I passed through a few months ago in the same area when I came across migrants at a service station heading north (on that side of the road anyway) . Didn't like the situation to be honest so decided to drive on rather than stop and get out.

Germany has 6,000 road crossings to other countries, plus a few thousand kilometers of fields and buildings that abut the border.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Great Goalkeepers DVD.

O/T. I know you are a Chelsea fan, Nige. My old friend Reg is Chelsea's oldest paying member. he's 95. His dad was at the first ever Chelsea game at the Bridge in 1905. I think that's amazing.
    That truly is amazing, are the club aware? Despite the shocking way they behave sometimes they are quite good at that stuff.

My Dad started going in 1948 and I started in 1963, I still get called a glory hunter though!
  • Options

Danny565 said:

I'm not really sure what you're point is there. The Netherlands has a very similar flag to Russia
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Scott_P said:

It is. Now we are having the "official argument" so that Cameron can show everyone how tough he is being, and come home wiping the sweat from him brow and telling everyone that it was a close thing, but he managed to bring home the bacon (and hope in all the adulation they don't notice that it's actually a very small slightly mouldy pork scratching).
  • Options
    William_H said:

Danny565 said:

I'm not really sure what you're point is there. The Netherlands has a very similar flag to Russia
    Not sure what your point is either, the Netherlands aren't a Jihadist outfit like al-Nusra.
  • Options

About a month ago, I actually managed to reach Manchester Piccadilly, finally (I reached Alderley Edge four years ago), albeit via Congleton and Macclesfield.
    Almost reached your destination? TBF that sounds like a FGW service
    :lol:
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Keeping in mind that opinion polls have been proven inaccurate:

2 diverging pictures emerging today, one national where Trump is collapsing and one in N.H. where Trump is holding:

N.H, ARG, conducted entirely after Iowa:

Trump 34 0
    Rubio 14 +3
    Kasich 13 -3
    Cruz 12 +2
    Bush 8 -1
    Christie 6 0
    Carson 2 0
    Fiorina 2 0

N.H, U.M tracking poll (now 2/3rds after Iowa)

Trump 36 -2
    Rubio 15 +3
    Cruz 14 0
    Bush 8 -1
    Kasich 7 0
    Christie 5 -1
    Carson 4 +1
    Fiorina 3 0

PPP, national, entirely after Iowa

Trump 25 -9
    Cruz 21 +3
    Rubio 21 +8
    Carson 11 +5
    Bush 5 -2
    Kasich 5 +3
    Rand 5 +3
    Christie 3 -2
    Fiorina 3 -1
    Gilmore 1 +1

With a debate and a snowstorm on polling day all these polls are of course trash.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

I still have to do Alderley Edge to Cheadle Hulme. Oh and then there's the Manchester Airport branch too (via Gatley).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

In other words by the time the rest if eu have stuck their our in Cameron deal will be basically we can have a bag of crisps & a Mars bar extra.

Scott_P said:

This is EU panto.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

isam said:

Read tha five times and still can't work out meaning.
    If there were a spread betting market

'Number of time "undecideds" on PB criticise the REMAIN campaign'

the So far would be Zero ie they haven't yet

If there was a bet on "Number of times "undecideds" criticise LEAVE compared to REMAIN' you wouldn't want to be a seller of LEAVE.. whatever the level!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

It is. Now we are having the "official argument" so that Cameron can show everyone how tough he is being, and come home wiping the sweat from him brow and telling everyone that it was a close thing, but he managed to bring home the bacon (and hope in all the adulation they don't notice that it's actually a very small slightly mouldy pork scratching).
    Indigo:

If another country rejected the deal, you'd said:
    "Duplicitous Europeans! You can't make a deal with them they don't renege on"

And if people grumble but don't reject it:
    "Typical stage managed argument, goes to show what a sham the whole thing is"

And if it isn't mentioned in Europe:
    "See! The Europeans have barely mentioned. Proof, if it was needed, of how Cameron barely asked for anything."
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited February 2016
    I always thought Assanges stay in the Embassy was his choice..he can pop out whenever he likes..he is detained only by his own fear
  • Options

Great Goalkeepers DVD.

Awesome
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is he?

Cameron is retiring anyway by 2020. I am sure there are some who despise him for always being right and proving them wrong and may vote just to be cussed.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Charles Lister ‏@Charles_Lister 1h1 hour ago
    If it isn’t already, EU should be preparing for #Syria refugee flows the like of which we’ve never seen before. #Aleppo’s emptying en masse.

Impressive eyesight that Mr Lister can see that all the way from his well paid job in Doha, Qatar. No Syrian refugees heading there, that is for sure.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Tim_B said:

Alistair said:

Tim_B said:

He'll be good.

Have done so.
    You should watch a tiny, tiny smattering of Friends as it makes a bunch of the jokes in Episode a funnier.

Don't watch too much though as a lot of Friends is crap.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

I still have to do Alderley Edge to Cheadle Hulme. Oh and then there's the Manchester Airport branch too (via Gatley).
    About a dozen years ago I went from Pannal to Manchester Airport and after my trip the reverse.

We stopped at a station in Bradford which seems to be a dead end - you go in forwards then back out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo:

"See! The Europeans have barely mentioned. Proof, if it was needed, of how Cameron barely asked for anything."

We'll get all three. In fact we've already had all three.

Quite why the Leave side can't understand the simple fact that it's extremely hard to get unanimous agreement with 27 other parties is bizarre.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

... finger wagging ...

And when you object intensely to something I suppose you sit meekly on the sidelines and say nothing :)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

About a dozen years ago I went from Pannal to Manchester Airport and after my trip the reverse.

We stopped at a station in Bradford which seems to be a dead end - you go in forwards then back out.
    I've been to Leeds by train but not Bradford. In fact the only other place in Yorkshire I've been to (as opposed to through) by train is Sheffield. Though I also did the Supertram from Sheffield station to the University.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Thank god for all that influence and clout we have.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,966
    edited February 2016

Coincidently I will be taking Virgin East Coast from Aberdeen down to Newark tomorrow. I use them all the time and think their service is excellent.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Tim_B said:

Alistair said:

Tim_B said:

He'll be good.

Have done so.
    You should watch a tiny, tiny smattering of Friends as it makes a bunch of the jokes in Episode a funnier.

Don't watch too much though as a lot of Friends is crap.
    Thanks for that - I have the box set for $30. I am still working my way through The Avengers. Almost at Emma Peel now.
  • Options

Great Goalkeepers DVD.

By rights, you should be banished to ConHome for that, but apparently that has been ruled "unlawful detention" by the UN...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Quite why the Leave side can't understand the simple fact that it's extremely hard to get unanimous agreement with 27 other parties is bizarre.

Well quite. With Dave's red card, we'd need a mere 16.
  • Options

Coincidently I will be taking Virginia East Coast from Aberdeen down to Newark tomorrow. I use them all the time and think their service is excellent.
    I've been as far as north as Leuchars, then to St Andrews by bus.
  • Options
    LondonBob said:
    I think anyone betting on the GOP nomination is playing a dangerous game of russian roulette.
  • Options
    Putin personally flying a bomber! I can see why the Saudis or Israelis are unhappy but I am sure a stand up patriot like yourself could explain why we should care?

http://ericmargolis.com/2015/07/destroying-syria-to-make-it-safe-for-american-values/

Looks like Humpty Dumpty is being put back together again. After all the British national interest is a stable Syria, cooperating on terrorism that is open to British interests. Precisely what we had before under the London educated Assads.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

First - orchestrated, make it look like a battle then relax for the minor UK "victory" to keep sugar daddy on board.

Second- piss off no one likes you and we don't care.......Cameron joins the leave department

Gosh... I wonder which one it will be?

Ok, ok yeah perhaps I am the eternal cynic but it's the EU we are playing poker with here.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

LondonBob said:
    I think anyone betting on the GOP nomination is playing a dangerous game of russian roulette.
    I am sure you have the Chutzpah.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    taffys said:

I understand Mr Hague is of the opinion what with a mere 14 he might have a snowballs chance in hell of overturning an act calling for the slaughter of the first born.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Great Goalkeepers DVD.

Awesome
    In years gone by posters have been condemned to Conservative home for less than that.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    One for our train enthusiasts,my back garden is adjacent to the West coast line, and the Scotsman has been past a few times now.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    edited February 2016
    runnymede said:

Stuart Rose wants a ban on opinion polls for 2 weeks before the referendum

Definite whiff of panic there

What's the logic though? There's a widespread belief (which I'm not sure I share) that the Yougov outlier before the Indy referendum spurred Unionists to redouble their efforts and increased their turnout.

If things are tootling along a couple of weeks before the EU referendum as they are now, perhaps the EYoons will need a jolt of life in their hitherto unsparkling campaign.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Was on a FGW service yesterday and asked for a white coffee from the trolley service.

Without the bat of any eye lid he responded with would you like a Americano? A caffe Latte? or a Capuchino? I thought.. rubbing my hands .. Well perhaps FGW have finally got it about customer satisfaction and service.

I said with great anticipation .... A Capuchino please.

Certainly sir he replied

He have me a black coffee , a milk tube and a wooden stick to beat it with.

Even I laughed.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Indigo:

We'll get all three. In fact we've already had all three.

The reason why Leave want to go is because it's extremely hard to get unanimous agreement with 27 other parties.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Are you sure it wasn't Wakefield?
  • Options
    slade said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

I think it was Forster Square in Bradford, but can't be sure.
  • Options
    taffys said:

And after governnents in 6 of those 16 had just voted the other way!
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,408
    edited February 2016
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Was on a FGW service yesterday and asked for a white coffee from the trolley service.

Without the bat of any eye lid he responded with would you like a Americano? A caffe Latte? or a Capuchino? I thought.. rubbing my hands .. Well perhaps FGW have finally got it about customer satisfaction and service.

I said with great anticipation .... A Capuchino please.

Certainly sir he replied

He have me a black coffee , a milk tube and a wooden stick to beat it with.

Even I laughed.
    This happened to me too with a 'cup of tea'.

WhyTF do the Great Western Railway do this?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited February 2016
    Speedy said:

Keeping in mind that opinion polls have been proven inaccurate:

2 diverging pictures emerging today, one national where Trump is collapsing and one in N.H. where Trump is holding:

N.H, ARG, conducted entirely after Iowa:

Trump 34 0
    Rubio 14 +3
    Kasich 13 -3
    Cruz 12 +2
    Bush 8 -1
    Christie 6 0
    Carson 2 0
    Fiorina 2 0

N.H, U.M tracking poll (now 2/3rds after Iowa)

Trump 36 -2
    Rubio 15 +3
    Cruz 14 0
    Bush 8 -1
    Kasich 7 0
    Christie 5 -1
    Carson 4 +1
    Fiorina 3 0

PPP, national, entirely after Iowa

Trump 25 -9
    Cruz 21 +3
    Rubio 21 +8
    Carson 11 +5
    Bush 5 -2
    Kasich 5 +3
    Rand 5 +3
    Christie 3 -2
    Fiorina 3 -1
    Gilmore 1 +1

With a debate and a snowstorm on polling day all these polls are of course trash.

The Iowa polls were right that Trump and Cruz were the top two just in the wrong order and they had Cruz ahead amongst those certain to vote so you are exaggerating a little. Trump's lead in Iowa was less than his national lead, his lead in New Hampshire is more than his national lead
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016

The reason why Leave want to go is because it's extremely hard to get unanimous agreement with 27 other parties.

I thought the complaint was that unanimous agreement wasn't necessary with QMV, so we don't have a veto.

In any case, I was referring to the tiresome conspiracy theories. What we are seeing with the negotiations is not a stitch-up, or a sham, or EU countries reneging on a deal, it's the inevitable result of having to negotiate with 27 other countries. I expect it will go to an all-night session, as always happens (not only in EU summits, of course).
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'First - orchestrated, make it look like a battle then relax for the minor UK "victory" to keep sugar daddy on board.'

Of course it is orchestrated
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Indigo:

Don't think level of noise has any correlation at all with strength of negotiation. The French killed all protection for non-Euro states nearly silently.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited February 2016
    Labour shortlist for Ogmore

Chris Elmore (VoG Cllr)
    Christine Gwyther (former Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire AM)
    Geraint Hopkins (Rhondda Cllr)
    Alex Owen (Bridgend Cllr, Penprysg ward, it's within the constituency boundaries)

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Tim_B said:

slade said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

I think it was Forster Square in Bradford, but can't be sure.
    OK. I only asked because when I used to travel to London on the train you had to get a train from Huddersfield which went into Wakefield Kirkgate and then used to reverse out and go to Wakefield Westgate where you changed to the main line.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    runnymede said:

'First - orchestrated, make it look like a battle then relax for the minor UK "victory" to keep sugar daddy on board.'

Of course it is orchestrated

It really isn't.

Everyone is always keen to get a deal done at these sorts of things though (See the Paris Climate talks; Greece negotiations and many more). So they will inevitably end up with a deal - and it always comes past the last minute.

And it will be spun as a victory by Dave, no matter what he gets.

It's a negotiation followed by spin.
  • Options

Labour shortlist for Ogmore

Chris Elmore (VoG Cllr)
    Christine Gwyther (former Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire AM)
    Geraint Hopkins (Rhondda Cllr)
    Alex Owen (Bridgend Cllr, Penprysg ward, it's within the constituency boundaries)

Is the byelection being held on the same day as the Welsh Assembly election?
  • Options
    @Casino Royale.

As a local , we don't call it "Last Great Western" for nothing.

Please do not get me wrong here as the staff on the trains are as critical as we are. Having taking the first train out from the depots regularly I have had lots of time to talk to them as its quiet at that time of day even got on first names. It's not them they really do their best with crap management.

Another problem is I remember sitting in my 5th form watching the testing / first runs of the 125 from the classroom window in Bath. I was seriously impressed this was out of this world to us given I had been taken to Bristol on Steam trains previously by my parent (only just in steam train age though)

am now 57. The sets are old and the trains on the minor lines are appalling how they have the chutzpah to charge me what they do and put that train, 38 minutes late " we apologise for the late arrival of this train and the delay to your journey today" on a station is beyond me.

To be fair BR was even worse but still

• Options

I thought the complaint was that unanimous agreement wasn't necessary with QMV, so we don't have a veto.

In any case, I was referring to the tiresome conspiracy theories. What we are seeing with the negotiations is not a stitch-up, or a sham, or EU countries reneging on a deal, it's the inevitable result of having to negotiate with 27 other countries. I expect it will go to an all-night session, as always happens (not only in EU summits, of course).
    It doesn't seem to make any difference. Up to May 2014 - the last time we have any data for - the UK had never successfully opposed a QMV vote in the Council of Ministers. 55 times we opposed a measure and 55 times we lost.
  • Options
    slade said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

No - Bradford Interchange.

Like Wakefield, Bradford has two stations (Forster Square and Interchange), but whereas Wakefield's are both through lines, Bradford's are both dead ends. However, while all services to Forster Sq terminate there, the Interchange is on the Calder Valley line with trains from Lancashire through to Leeds and beyond (and vice versa), which, as you say, means reversing the direction of the train's travel as you come in and out.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

It doesn't seem to make any difference. Up to May 2014 - the last time we have any data for - the UK had never successfully opposed a QMV vote in the Council of Ministers. 55 times we opposed a measure and 55 times we lost.
    Yes, exactly. So the complaint is the opposite of what @TCPoliticalBetting said.

Having said that, what are the comparable figures for other countries?
  • Options

Problem with a lot of recent conspiracy theories, is they did rather turn out right, asked Edward Snowden. The problem with most Europhiles is they didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTv7UoK8oJY
  • Options

I suspect that will be because (like in our own Parliament in fact) a vote rarely occurs unless it is already known to have enough support to be carried so a vote being defeated is a shock.

I do not know the answer to this but out of curiousity do you know on how many occasions we have been on the opposite and winning side of the fence? I.e. we have supported a QMV vote which at least one other nation has opposed and we won?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Yes, exactly. So the complaint is the opposite of what @TCPoliticalBetting said.

Bugger other countries. As a Brit you should be concerned, if not furious, that in all the times your country attempted to except its influence to stop something we deem not in our interest, it failed, all of them, and then REMAIN have the cheek and effrontery to come here and talk about our influence in the EU.
  • Options

slade said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

Like Wakefield, Bradford has two stations (Forster Square and Interchange), but whereas Wakefield's are both through lines, Bradford's are both dead ends. However, while all services to Forster Sq terminate there, the Interchange is on the Calder Valley line with trains from Lancashire through to Leeds and beyond (and vice versa), which, as you say, means reversing the direction of the train's travel as you come in and out.
    I was on the 'Trans Pennine Express' - a misnomer if ever there was one, up there with the Long Island Expressway.

It just seemed odd to pull into a station, and then go out the same way you came in.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Indigo:

Don't think level of noise has any correlation at all with strength of negotiation. The French killed all protection for non-Euro states nearly silently.
    I wasn't commenting on the specifics at all, I was just gently teasing @Indigo.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    3 hours left to see who's right, the Phone polls or the Online polls with the EU ref.:

https://www.nojam.com/post/550

Strictly limited to PB'ers of course.
    Don't forget Phone polls have Tory voters and old people choosing Remain, Online polls have them choosing Leave.

And since 80% of PB'ers are Tory and over the age of 50, lets see who is more accurate.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735

slade said:

Tim_B said:

Taking a quick look at a map - is there any mileage in connecting the 2 and allowing through trains in both directions? Would enable things like Halifax - Bradford - Shipley - Leeds or Halifax - Keighley via Bradford. Certainly doens't look obviously problematic on a map (massive car park might need to be removed but...)
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Bugger other countries. As a Brit you should be concerned, if not furious, that in all the times your country attempted to except its influence, it failed, all of them, and then REMAIN have the cheek and effrontery to come here and talk about our influence in the EU.

Err, as a sane Brit, I realise that the figures Richard T quoted do not show that every time my country attempted to exercise its influence, it failed.

Really, there are plenty of things to complain about regarding the EU, without undermining your argument with silliness.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Bugger other countries. As a Brit you should be concerned, if not furious, that in all the times your country attempted to except its influence to stop something we deem not in our interest, it failed, all of them, and then REMAIN have the cheek and effrontery to come here and talk about our influence in the EU.
    No, it says that in all the times we voted no right to the bitter end we lost the vote, it says the square root of zero about how many times we have exerted influence prior to a vote.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

No, it says that in all the times we voted no right to the bitter end we lost the vote, it says the square root of zero about how many times we have exerted influence prior to a vote.

.. or supported a motion and won against opposition from another country, as you just pointed out. Or got the change we wanted which was then voted through unanimously.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

.. or supported a motion and won, as you just pointed out.
    sheesh

barrel scraping now Richard
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    From this morning's thread:

1) MD: 'I still think Osborne's at risk of re-enacting the Rise and Fall of Antigonus Monopthalmus.'

Bit of a typo there with 'Reginald Perrin', I think.

2) Ardiles - the manager who almost took the Toon into the 3rd Division. Who can forget losing 5-2 away at Oxford in the fog?

3) Leeds new station entrance: Monday - ticket barriers not working; Wednesday - ticket machines not working. And it has nothing to do with the Northern Powerhouse. At least it looks nice and saves me 5 minutes walk.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

sheesh

Not at all. Just challenging totally bogus conclusions on selective figures which we have nothing to compare with.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758

sheesh

Not at all. Just challenging totally bogus conclusions on selective figures which we have nothing to compare with.
    LOL well if you say so.
  • Options

sheesh

Isn't that what pundits are for?
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, my historical comparison of Osborne and Antigonus Monopthalmus is nothing short of magnificent.

They even share the same habits of rewarding loyalty well, and being harsh towards enemies.
This discussion has been closed.