Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Star War images: Jedi Jezza and Stormtrooper Osbo

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Lolz

@philipjcowley Favourite footnote so far in the 2015 election book! https://t.co/i8OnDtIRS8
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

HYUFD said:
    'Conhome readers' != 'Tory members'

David Davis is a walking disaster area for the Conservatives. A small man who cannot put aside his own image and petty grievances.
    David Davis is shit of the year.

Every year.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

JBriskin said:

Can tell I'm a Social Scientist innit -

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/682528290939256835

I can't get my head around that she is married to manager of those well known quiet sober early to bed types, AC/DC, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I some how doubt the above are following Louise advice in celebrating New Year.
    Think she might be hamming it up a bit - her type of humour as far as I can gather.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

David Davis is a walking disaster area for the Conservatives. A small man who cannot put aside his own image and petty grievances.
    Clearly most of the Tory members do not agree with you. And rightly so. Davis is a far better Parliamentarian and MP than almost any of the current cabinet with the possible exception of Michael Gove.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2015
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

I can't get my head around that she is married to manager of those well known quiet sober early to bed types, AC/DC, Metallica, Red Hot Chilli Peppers. I some how doubt the above are following Louise advice in celebrating New Year.
    Think she might be hamming it up a bit - her type of humour as far as I can gather.
    Went over my head....

Personally, I just don't get New Year, never have.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    edited December 2015

HYUFD said:

Clearly most of the Tory members do not agree with you. And rightly so. Davis is a far better Parliamentarian and MP than almost any of the current cabinet with the possible exception of Michael Gove.
    "Clearly most of the Tory members do not agree with you. "

Evidence, please. And a ConHome survey is not evidence.

And I disagree with you about his parliamentary skills.

In fact, point me to three superlative speeches he has made in parliament this year.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Every year.
    It's like ConHome and LabourList readers are stuck on repeat...
  • Options

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Went over my head....

Well you're posting on PB at 5.15pm on Hogmany - a clear sign you're not quite getting it!!! :)
  • Options
    In all seriousness - me and Ms Briskin have just decided to not pub it so look forward to some more of my dazzling contributions to the community tonight!!!!!!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

HYUFD said:

In fact, point me to three superlative speeches he has made in parliament this year.
    The Conhome survey is however an indicator, do you have one, besides your own dislike, to counter it ?
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

JBriskin said:

Went over my head....

Well you're posting on PB at 5.15pm on Hogmany - a clear sign you're not quite getting it!!! :)
    Well yes. I normally try and head on vacation, but this year busy working on a new project.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

HYUFD said:

The Conhome survey is however an indicator, do you have one, besides your own dislike, to counter it ?
    It's not an indicator at all. It's voodoo.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,295
    edited December 2015
    If Jeremy Corbyn is a Jedi, he is Kylo Ren. Well-meaning but dolefully weak, who reluctantly kills all those dangerous murderers and traitors to the First Order to ensure that order and stability are brought to the Galaxy. It's not his fault, honest.

@Morris_Dancer I seem to remember that while Luke blew up the Death Star he did negotiate twice with Vader - aggressive negotiations (as Anakin would say) in Episode V, and the normal kind in Episode VI.

Although I also seem to recall both types were dismal failures. There's a moral there for anyone with a brain, which sadly rules out the Jezziah and his acolytes.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    The Corbyn reshuffle will be a non-event.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If Jeremy Corbyn is a Jedi, he is Kylo Ren. Well-meaning but dolefully weak, who reluctantly kills all those dangerous murderers and traitors to the First Order to ensure that order and stability are brought to the Galaxy. It's not his fault, honest.

@Morris_Dancer I seem to remember that while Luke blew up the Death Star he did negotiate twice with Vader - aggressive negotiations (as Anakin would say) in Episode V, and the normal kind in Episode VI.

Although I also seem to recall both types were dismal failures. There's a moral there for anyone with a brain, which sadly rules out the Jezziah and his acolytes.

Without attempting to give spoilers, one of the most depressing parts of Episode VII is that no-one appears to have learnt anything from the events of I-VI.

In that way, it is also perhaps the most realistic part.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Lolz

@philipjcowley Favourite footnote so far in the 2015 election book! https://t.co/i8OnDtIRS8

That's priceless!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Barnesian said:

Quite. I predict the top jobs all staying put (including Hilary Benn), and the only "purge" being of third-rank nonentities like Michael Dugher.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Without attempting to give spoilers, one of the most depressing parts of Episode VII is that no-one appears to have learnt anything from the events of I-VI.

Are you referring to the writers or the characters? :smiley:
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Barnesian said:

Quite. I predict the top jobs all staying put (including Hilary Benn), and the only "purge" being of third-rank nonentities like Michael Dugher.
    Corbyn, Abbott, Macdonnell all in line for the chop then :wink:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

;)

I've said before that Episode VII, whilst good, is incredibly 'safe' plotwise. And people who've seen it will know what I mean. But in the comment above, I mean characters. I can't say much more without spoilers ...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited December 2015

"Osborne’s image as a Star Wars villain is well established on the Left"

Neatly encapsulating the problem the Lefty Left have and why they are going to lose badly next election and everyone after it until they fundamentally change their world view.

The sensible left wing posters on here don't see Osborne or practically any other mainstream politician as some sort of evil to be defeated both politically and morally. They see a man who has a somewhat different view of the best solutions for problems both sides recognise.

I forget who it was the other day (Kle4 or Surbiton) but that is exactly how they put the whole question of political differences. More importantly that is also how the vast majority of the public see both sets of party leaders as well.

The Tories won in May partly because they were able to portray Miliband as ineffectual and a figure of fun. Dangerous to people's futures not by design but by ineptitude. Invariably this is how one side beats the other. Major lost in 97 because of this, Brown in 2010 for the same reason. Not because they were viewed as inherently evil in some fantasy novel sense but because they were viewed as just not very good at what they did.

The Tories get this. That is why, in the end, they will continue to win elections and Labour - under its current direction of travel - will continue to lose them.

An irony is that Osborne isn't even particularly right wing. I've found it impossible to convince left wing friends of this though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Danny565 said:

Barnesian said:

Deathly dull then. A shame. But he's learning not to make own goals all the time perhaps.
  • Options
    Corbyn is a completely ineffectual Leader of the Opposition; completely incapable of holding the government to account and, seemingly, unintetested in doing so. Even EdM set the political weather once in a while. Jezza can't even do that.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

HYUFD said:

Most Conhome readers are Tory members although it does break down it does sometimes break down its figures into members and non-members
  • Options
    edited December 2015

HYUFD said:

Incidentially Conhome readers made Gove their minister of the year too
  • Options
    On a serious note, I think this is a good comment on Danczuk:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/live-media-die-media-how-10672226

Glass houses and throwing stones springs to mind.
  • Options

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Every year.
    You mean let's party like it's 1945?
  • Options
    Hmm. And the rest?

Cabinet Office

10% of #NewYearsHonours are for work in education, 7% in health and 12% in industry: https://t.co/cGpKJfVnDT https://t.co/wzn92exYij
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Neatly encapsulating the problem the Lefty Left have and why they are going to lose badly next election and everyone after it until they fundamentally change their world view.

The sensible left wing posters on here don't see Osborne or practically any other mainstream politician as some sort of evil to be defeated both politically and morally. They see a man who has a somewhat different view of the best solutions for problems both sides recognise.

I forget who it was the other day (Kle4 or Surbiton) but that is exactly how they put the whole question of political differences. More importantly that is also how the vast majority of the public see both sets of party leaders as well.

The Tories won in May partly because they were able to portray Miliband as ineffectual and a figure of fun. Dangerous to people's futures not by design but by ineptitude. Invariably this is how one side beats the other. Major lost in 97 because of this, Brown in 2010 for the same reason. Not because they were viewed as inherently evil in some fantasy novel sense but because they were viewed as just not very good at what they did.

The Tories get this. That is why, in the end, they will continue to win elections and Labour - under its current direction of travel - will continue to lose them.

An irony is that Osborne isn't even particularly right wing. I've found it impossible to convince more staunch left wing friends of this though.
    Again, this depends on your definition of "right-wing".

Since Joe Public does not particularly understand "right-wing" and "left-wing" at all, it's probably more useful to think of "right-wing" in terms of "the most toxic stereotypes of Tories" - and on that score, Osborne fits the stereotypes of Tories being nasty and uncompassionate more than anyone else in the Cabinet. In the same way that Corbyn (and Miliband before him) fits the most toxic stereotypes of Labour being naive and incompetent.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Barnesian said:

Deathly dull then. A shame. But he's learning not to make own goals all the time perhaps.
    That’s quite a prognosis for a reshuffle that has not happened yet.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

An irony is that Osborne isn't even particularly right wing. I've found it impossible to convince left wing friends of this though.

Osborne is interesting, certainly more so than any other Tory - except Gove. He is as left wing as they come with regard to pensioners. He understands the importance of servicing the client vote.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Most Conhome readers are Tory members although it does break down it does sometimes break down its figures into members and non-members
    Even the headline says it is 'readers' and not 'members'.

Voodoo. And that goes, as you say in your other post, for Gove.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Barnesian said:

That’s quite a prognosis for a reshuffle that has not happened yet.
    That's why I included 'perhaps', should it be as Danny predicts.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

;)

I've said before that Episode VII, whilst good, is incredibly 'safe' plotwise. And people who've seen it will know what I mean. But in the comment above, I mean characters. I can't say much more without spoilers ...
    I'd agree with that comment, but also to avoid spoilers I won't explain further. I actually went back today to try and decide whether I liked it, because I couldn't make my mind up between the cringeworthy 'I've seen this before' or the undoubted flashes of quality the first time.

Annoyingly I still can't decide!
  • Options

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

Every year.
    You mean let's party like it's 1945?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Dubai: Address Hotel on fire https://t.co/MjvhqXmrNc https://t.co/rRUpRxnTej via @AtiehS
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Point me to any individual MP who has made more than one superlative speech this year. Indeed 90% of the MPs have not made a superlative speech and that includes your own party leader.

Of course you don't like this because you hate the idea of someone putting principles before personal political or party gain. Davis encapsulates the true meaning of being a Parliamentarian which is not 'party first and foremost'.
  • Options
    Corbyn explains five-day absence from North - 'I didn't want to get in way'

Hmmmm...Bullllllllllllllllllllllssssssssssssssss....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Point me to any individual MP who has made more than one superlative speech this year. Indeed 90% of the MPs have not made a superlative speech and that includes your own party leader.

Of course you don't like this because you hate the idea of someone putting principles before personal political or party gain. Davis encapsulates the true meaning of being a Parliamentarian which is not 'party first and foremost'.
    Urrrm, I'm not a Conservative. I would have thought you would have realised that by now. I'm more likely to join the Libs than Conservatives.

And from what you've said, I take it you cannot even point to one superlative speech by Davis this year?

I love the idea of someone putting principles before personal political or party gain. It's just when I hear Davis speak, I don't hear principles.
  • Options
    Establishment figures who helped disgraced bishop avoid prosecution for sex abuse revealed

Former Lord Justice Anthony Lloyd and David Cameron's late godfather Tory MP Tim Rathbone among figures who wrote in support of former Bishop of Gloucester, Peter Ball, one said he was a "saint"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12076285/Establishment-figures-who-helped-disgraced-bishop-avoid-prosecution-for-sex-abuse-revealed.html
  • Options
    From Corbyn's New Year message:

My message is simply this: There is a lot wrong with this planet. There's a lot wrong with this country.

Great message for the true believers - but I wonder how widely shared beyond them it is. I'd have thought 'It's not too bad, things are getting a bit better' would be nearer the mark than 'There's a lot wrong'.....
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Oh crickey...that is a real life version of the Towering Inferno movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRM9bv7jA8
  • Options
    Re David Davis, I would like to know how much his own political philosophy has changed since his leadership bid, how many of his current views are ones he's always had and how much he is motivated simply by being against whatever Cameron is for. I hope the the answers would be "A fair bit", "Quite a few" and "Not at all".

I can well imagine that the civil libertarian stuff (which appeals to me a lot) is something he has long believed in. It's true that he famously said "Prison works" but that's not inconsistent with being particular about who you put in there and when.

I'm curious about his opposition to the tax credit changes. I wonder what his views are on a redistributive welfare state and how those may have changed since 2005. As I recall he was not renowned as a wet in those days.

Likewise on Syria, how have his views on military intervention changed since he voted for invading Iraq?

I'd like to know that it's not just that he doesn't like Dave.

With all that said, he is an independent voice and sometimes one of the few that challenges the Government at all, eg on the DRIP Act. I'd rather have him in Parliament than not.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Conhome surveys do tend to be pretty accurate though, for example it got the 2005 leadership election spot on
  • Options

I hope everyone gets out okay (and the firemen are all okay as well).

It'll be interesting to discover how long it took to get into that state. For a new tower, fire codes should prevent 'ordinary' fires from spreading like that within a certain period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Address_Downtown_Dubai
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273

Wanderer said:

Osborne is interesting, certainly more so than any other Tory - except Gove. He is as left wing as they come with regard to pensioners. He understands the importance of servicing the client vote.

To be honest though Southam, assuming he's up against Boris, May & Javid, I'm assuming when pushed (extremely hard!) liberal centrists would prefer Osborne. He would probably be more likely to tackle vested interests (eg. Airports, NIMBYism, Landed Interests) than Cameron or the others, he's more of a liberal than a Conservative.

In addition from an electoral point of view it would appear the voters just don't like him, and he also runs the risk of his economic record catching up with him as with Brown. If Labour sorts its shit out after Corbyn he's probably the one you'd want to face.

So from a Labour moderate position can I ask the PB Conservative members to vote for Osborne please? Ta.
  • Options

My message is simply this: There is a lot wrong with this planet. There's a lot wrong with this country.

Great message for the true believers - but I wonder how widely shared beyond them it is. I'd have thought 'It's not too bad, things are getting a bit better' would be nearer the mark than 'There's a lot wrong'.....

I find people tend more to the latter than the former, personally.
  • Options
    Unbelievable.... and yet so easy to accept as well...

David Davis is Conhome readers parliamentarian of the year.

Of course he is.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Wanderer said:

Indeed quite a lot of centre-right Tories think of him as a wishy-washy metropolitan liberal!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

People inevitably think things are getting worse. Indeed, it's a case of "well, sure, 2015 worked out OK, but 2016? Can't see that working"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

As messages go it's not exactly Morning in Britain is it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

She was a notorious party girl in her youth - she's admitted to significant drug use.

She just doesn't like the forced jollity of New Year's Eve, and I totally agree with her. I'm staying in, with my elder daughter Lucy. I might be eating a bit of cheese later.
    I quite agree...back to work for me, this project wont get off the ground on its own.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Conhome surveys do tend to be pretty accurate though, for example it got the 2005 leadership election spot on
    That was ten years ago. I wonder if, with the rise of UKIP, whether ConHome's readership profile has altered?

I must add I don't hate Davis, or even particularly dislike him. It's just that his anger at having lost to Cameron, and having not been allowed back into cabinet, seems to pollute his thinking.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Establishment figures who helped disgraced bishop avoid prosecution for sex abuse revealed

Former Lord Justice Anthony Lloyd and David Cameron's late godfather Tory MP Tim Rathbone among figures who wrote in support of former Bishop of Gloucester, Peter Ball, one said he was a "saint"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12076285/Establishment-figures-who-helped-disgraced-bishop-avoid-prosecution-for-sex-abuse-revealed.html

I watched "Spotlight" last night - on this very theme, of the great and good of Boston blocking all attempts to get the Catholic Church held to account for decades of child abuse. ("Spotlight" was the Boston Globe equivalent of the Sunday Times Insight team.) Worth a watch, but it ended too soon - wanted to see more of the Bishop Law getting his comeuppance (or not, as he got moved to one of the most prestigious churches in Rome...)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

She was a notorious party girl in her youth - she's admitted to significant drug use.

She just doesn't like the forced jollity of New Year's Eve, and I totally agree with her. I'm staying in, with my elder daughter Lucy. I might be eating a bit of cheese later.
    She's good friends with a colleague of mine. He's also friends with Victoria Coren, so he's clearly got good taste in friends.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You need to get yourself some more positive thinking friends ;-)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Urrrm, I'm not a Conservative. I would have thought you would have realised that by now. I'm more likely to join the Libs than Conservatives.

And from what you've said, I take it you cannot even point to one superlative speech by Davis this year?

I love the idea of someone putting principles before personal political or party gain. It's just when I hear Davis speak, I don't hear principles.
    Then you are deaf.

I could point to any number of interventions, written questions and committee hearings this year over data retention, snoopers charter, British involvement in Middle Eastern conflicts, the West Lothian question and the EU.

As I say he puts principles before party and I wish more MPs were willing to do that.
  • Options

kle4 said:

You need to get yourself some more positive thinking friends ;-)
    New Year's resolution objective, perhaps.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

How do 20 storeys of hotel just burst into flame like that? Seems almost impossible.

Let us pray it is a weird accident.

People doing the design / construction not following the building codes....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That was ten years ago. I wonder if, with the rise of UKIP, whether ConHome's readership profile has altered?

I must add I don't hate Davis, or even particularly dislike him. It's just that his anger at having lost to Cameron, and having not been allowed back into cabinet, seems to pollute his thinking.
    No evidence of that at all, Cameron still has a high approval rating in Comhome surveys
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @Wanderer surely it was Howard who said 'Prison works?' I thought Tory penal policy softened considerably under Davis, even though Howard was the leader.

Ps regarding that hotel fire, it looks pretty grim. If that much of the building is affected, it seems very unlikely there are not people-possibly a lot of people-trapped there.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

She's good friends with a colleague of mine. He's also friends with Victoria Coren, so he's clearly got good taste in friends.
    I can imagine LM and VC-M would be excellent dinner party guests
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Then you are deaf.

I could point to any number of interventions, written questions and committee hearings this year over data retention, snoopers charter, British involvement in Middle Eastern conflicts, the West Lothian question and the EU.

As I say he puts principles before party and I wish more MPs were willing to do that.
    I can't disagree with you on that Richard; he is both eloquent and incisive. His main problem is that he does seem to object to anything the leadership of his own party suggests. This lack of self-awareness is a problem; and rightly led us (well, me, anyway) to vote for DC.
  • Options
    @FrancisUrquhart Towering Inferno seems about right, its horrific
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Tom said:

To be honest though Southam, assuming he's up against Boris, May & Javid, I'm assuming when pushed (extremely hard!) liberal centrists would prefer Osborne. He would probably be more likely to tackle vested interests (eg. Airports, NIMBYism, Landed Interests) than Cameron or the others, he's more of a liberal than a Conservative.

In addition from an electoral point of view it would appear the voters just don't like him, and he also runs the risk of his economic record catching up with him as with Brown. If Labour sorts its shit out after Corbyn he's probably the one you'd want to face.

So from a Labour moderate position can I ask the PB Conservative members to vote for Osborne please? Ta.

Well
    There is no way that, even if Osborne is elected leader, he will stand up against NIMBYs, and that is for the very simple reason that rural property owners are part of the Tory base
    It is a bit like when PB commenters insist Labour tackle Muslims or public sector workers when those are core parts of the Labour support base, it ain't gonna happen guys
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Then you are deaf.

I am not deaf. And Whilst I agree with your final sentence, I disagree that I see much of it in Davis. You evidently disagree.
  • Options
    Sky reporting it started on 50th floor and has consumed next 20 up.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    edited December 2015
    [Princess Liz Kendall is escorted by Lord Livingstone into an audience with Grand Moff Corbyn]

Princess Liz: Governor Corbyn, I should have expected to find you holding Livingstone's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought onboard.

Grand Moff Corbyn: Charming to the last. You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your political career.

Princess Liz: [sarcastically] I'm surprised you had the courage to take the responsibility yourself.

Grand Moff Corbyn: Princess Liz, before your deselection, I would like to invite you to a ceremony that will make this progressive party operational. No Labour Stronghold will dare oppose the Corbynistas now.

Princess Liz: The more you tighten your grip, Corbyn, the more safe seats will slip through your fingers.

Grand Moff Corbyn: Not after we demonstrate the power of this policy. In a way, you have determined the choice of the constituency that is to be targeted first. Since you are reluctant to provide us with the location of the Rebel base, I have chosen to test our activists' destructive power on your home planet of Leicester.

Princess Liz: [shocked] No! Leicester is peaceful, we have no weapons. You can't possibly—

Grand Moff Corbyn: You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system! [stepping closer to Liz and pinning her against Darth Livingstone] I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time. Where is the Rebel base?

Princess Liz: [looks at view-screen showing Leicester for a moment, then, resigned] Derby. They're all on Derby.

Grand Moff Corbyn: There you see, Lord Livingstone? She can be reasonable. Proceed with the operation. You may fire when ready.

Princess Liz: [indignant] What?!

Grand Moff Corbyn: You're far too trusting. Derby is too remote to make an effective demonstration, but don't worry. We will deal with your rebel friends soon enough!

[Liz watches helplessly as Leftist activists descend on Leicester]
  • Options
    Tom said:

Wanderer said:

I joined the Conservative Party a couple of days ago as I want nothing to do with CorLab. I am, by inclination, a centrist liberal though.

The dilemma I would see is that I would certainly prefer Osborne to any of his more genuinely Tory opponents. However, as you say, he would also be less likely to win an election and the whole reason I have joined his party is because I want to see Corbynism buried beneath an almighty landslide.

Labour sorting its shit out would indeed change matters. I don't see it happening.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/31/uk-2015-general-election-opinion-polling-systematic-bias

One can only agree with the closing quotation:
    - this month’s Oldham byelection showed what an election without polls look like. Pre-election expectations of a close vote were set by reportage, cosy briefings, betting markets and gut instinct. They were all wrong.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

I've met both, and both are very pretty. Mensch possibly prettier.
    Possibly the most jealous I've been in 2015 right now.

Seriously, though, VC-M's poker autobiography is a thrill. Always been drawn to those with a quicker wit!

• Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

Nah, Victoria for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

It's burning around the bottom floors now. It's bizarre - there's a guy on Twitter livestreaming it via Periscope. Social media makes all these things more vivid - or frightening.
    I thought the authorities had blocked Periscope there?

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OyKAaomEezKb
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It's burning around the bottom floors now. It's bizarre - there's a guy on Twitter livestreaming it via Periscope. Social media makes all these things more vivid - or frightening.
    If it isn't a purposeful/terrorist incident (and that's unlikely), then something's gone majorly wrong. Architect's designing what's cool, and fitting function around that form, has always worried me.

A bit like Stubbins, LeMessurier and the Citigroup Centre:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2014/04/17/the_citicorp_tower_design_flaw_that_could_have_wiped_out_the_skyscraper.html
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@Wanderer surely it was Howard who said 'Prison works?' I thought Tory penal policy softened considerably under Davis, even though Howard was the leader.

Ps regarding that hotel fire, it looks pretty grim. If that much of the building is affected, it seems very unlikely there are not people-possibly a lot of people-trapped there.

Sorry, you're right. What Davis said was "Build more prisons."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Tom said:

If I got a vote in the Tory leadership contest, I would currently rank the "Big 3" as follows:

01 Theresa May (I think she'd be a moderately tough electoral prospect for Labour to face, but trying to think of the country I think she'd be a less-bad PM than her two main rivals - IMO, she has a bit more integrity and will atleast occasionally make decisions based on what she thinks is right rather than what's in the interests of the Conservative Party. Plus frankly even as a lefty I agree with most of what she's done as Home Sec when it comes to dealing with national security, etc.)

02 George Osborne (would hate his policies as PM, but he would be eminently beatable for Labour if they replaced Corbyn before 2020)

03 Boris Johnson (the toughest opponent Labour could face electorally, yet also would IMO be a bad PM for the country making decisions based on whims and what would give him a good day's headlines)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

Seriously, though, VC-M's poker autobiography is a thrill. Always been drawn to those with a quicker wit!

I read her memoir and found it slightly flat. She's a good writer, and clearly very intelligent, but it didn't quite work for me.

I remember poker-player NPXMP saying he liked it, so perhaps if you have a special interest in games, cards, stats, it has more attraction.
    I don't have a special interest in those topics, but I loved the book. But not as much as her other book. ;)
  • Options
    Dubai Media Office @DXBmediaoffice (bing translation): Currently there are 4 firefighters on site to deal with the fire and ensure the safety of everyone

I presume they mean 'fire engines'.....still four sounds orders of magnitude too few...
  • Options

Dubai Media Office @DXBmediaoffice (bing translation): Currently there are 4 firefighters on site to deal with the fire and ensure the safety of everyone

I presume they mean 'fire engines'.....still four sounds orders of magnitude too few...

If they are lucky they might even be given a bucket to try and put it out...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

I used to be like that a bit. And then I married a woman who grew up in the USSR, where NYE was the big festival.

She's currently spending an hour and a half getting ready for the party whilst I'm lounging around on my phone. :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

I read her memoir and found it slightly flat. She's a good writer, and clearly very intelligent, but it didn't quite work for me.

I remember poker-player NPXMP saying he liked it, so perhaps if you have a special interest in games, cards, stats, it has more attraction.
    Could be true - the cards were pretty key to the structure. Liked the sound of the IoM tourney!

• Options
  • Options

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

I don't have a special interest in those topics, but I loved the book. But not as much as her other book. ;)
    Subtlety lost after a couple of glasses of champers - has she written something else?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

I'm a casual poker player and loved her book. She really captures what is seductive about the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

If they are lucky they might even be given a bucket to try and put it out...
    I wonder if they'd even tackle it when it's that big?

What are their priorities? Pure guesswork:
    1) Clear the building, including rescue.
    2) Clear the immediate area.
    3) Contain fire.
    4) Tackle fire.

It might be best to contain and let it burn out. I'd also worry about structural stability, although from piccies not all the building's on fire.

Where's TFS when we need him? ;)

Edit: looks like they've been 'lucky' the fire's on the lee, not windward side of the building.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Wow that's one hell of a fire. I used in live in a company apartment just across the way from there when I worked out in Dubai for a few months. I watched them build the Burj Khalifa though my front windows. I left before it was finished though.

I am wondering if this hotel is going to withstand the heat and not collapse, the flames are now almost reaching the top.....from the ground floor
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344

Yes, both great books in, uh, different ways. I wish she'd write some more.

I'm going out for a poker-filled New Year with friends myself, so HNY everyone, our swords will cross again soon...
  • Options
    Any reshuffle is designed to take over the labour party not bolster Corbyn's authority.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

Subtlety lost after a couple of glasses of champers - has she written something else?
    The excellent: Once More, With Feeling: How we tried to make the greatest porn film ever

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-More-Feeling-tried-greatest/dp/1841154377/
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Civil defence Dubai reporting no injuries reported from the hotel at the moment. Dubai fireworks for the new year are going to continue as planned.

Sky news.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

powerful Vine of the Dubai fire.

twitter.com/ManvandeZaak/status/682629469966888961

Given that Dubai's main alleged charm is its status as a holiday destination it may have come a cropper. Its not good business to fry the guests. Where are the sprinklers? Is everything it is built out of combustible?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JBriskin said:

The excellent: Once More, With Feeling: How we tried to make the greatest porn film ever

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Once-More-Feeling-tried-greatest/dp/1841154377/
    Ta!

Looks like one to read. Sounds a bit like the first chapter of David Foster Wallace's Consider the Lobster, writ large.

• Options
    edited December 2015

SeanT said:

powerful Vine of the Dubai fire.

twitter.com/ManvandeZaak/status/682629469966888961

Given that Dubai's main alleged charm is its status as a holiday destination it may have come a cropper. Its not good business to fry the guests. Where are the sprinklers? Is everything it is built out of combustible?
    From the little I can remember of my courses on this sort of thing (I was more groundworks than steelwork), the first job is to contain fire for a certain period within the room/area it started.

All rooms bar bathrooms in my house and others on the estate have spring-shut doors. Blooming annoying with a little 'un who enjoys playing with doorstops. I was told that was due to fire code.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I thought the authorities had blocked Periscope?

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1OyKAaomEezKb
    Apparently not.

How do you even extinguish a fire like that? Is it possible? Or do you just let it burn itself out, like a forest fire, once it gets that big?
    Perhaps you ought to ask the people who built the Shard. Presumably the people who commission design and build these things have a plan to fight a fire.

Don't they...?
  • Options
    BBC - Fire breaks out in Dubai skyscraper.

BBC now covering the story – although PB coverage appears ahead of them. #natch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-35207451
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited December 2015
    Wan't The Towering Inferno set on New Years Eve, too?

Or was that The Poseidon Adventure?
  • Options
    I've just heard a repeat of Ken Livingstone's interview on LBC regarding Simon Danczuk. He managed to get sexual abuse, paedophiles all in the same sentence. God, these people really are something, they would trample over their own mother to score a political point.

As I said earlier, SD has been a bloody fool, it's hard to believe he fell for this.
  • Options
    Britain Elects
    This month's polling averages:
    CON: 38.8% (-)
    LAB: 31.2% (+0.9)
    UKIP: 13.0% (-0.5)
    LD: 6.8% (-0.1)
    GRN: 4.2% (+0.9) https://t.co/3weJY5sK7S
  • Options
    Hahaha!

Abbott has taken the bait and responded to Mandelson's column.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/31/jeremy-corbyn-labour-peter-mandelson

I'm convinced that every time she appears on QT, Newsnight, in the Guardian etc, that Labour lose another few hundred votes to the Tories in marginals.

Keep going Diane!
This discussion has been closed.