Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On by-election day there’s a new favourite in the race for

Comments

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015

isam said:

I am not for one minute predicting that the Syrian bombing will turn out to be the new Iraq, but I think it is worth reflecting that the MP's that voted for Iraq in 2003 probably felt just as those who voted for Syria yesterday do, ie they weren't bloodthirsty warmongers, they were torn over what to do

Now they are viewed slightly suspiciously, and admitting to having voted for Iraq is the equivalent of owning up to dropping one in a lift, while those who didn't make it a bulletpoint on their CV... will be interesting to see how this develops and who plays which role ten years hence

Agree to a certain extent, although I think yesterday's debate was better than the one before Iraq (although to be fair I'd have to listen to the latter again).

However I find it slightly odd that MPs should think that way about matters of foreign affairs, when decisions they make on domestic issues have more more effect on the lives and wellbeing of their constituents.
    Iraq now has a democratic government. It is being attacked by this ISIS or whatever you want to call it . We are helping defend Iraq, we are not invading Syria. Is this so difficult for people to understand? We have foreign policy aims in Syria which is riven by civil war, but it that is secondary to defeating ISIS and preserving the fragile democracy in Iraq.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Comrade Grintz:

Comrade Grintz ☭ ‏@DarrenGrintz Dec 1
    We need a final solution to purge Blairite scum like @leicesterliz from the Labour party.
    #ticktock

He is a BBC cameraman according to Twitter.

What do his employers think of his evening 'activities'?

Nothing, until Plod arrives mob handed on BBC premises to haul him in for a chat, and a search of their building.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @gabyhinsliff: 'those who lectured me about "our party"..FYI I have the membership lists & most of u aren't on it' Go @jessphillips https://t.co/lgYLZ8sp8i
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Comrade Grintz:

We need a final solution to purge Blairite scum like @leicesterliz from the Labour party.
    #ticktock

Using the phrase "final solution" is entirely within the remit of fascists who wish to close down debate and worse.

• Options
    Tories are getting it too

@nicolablackwood: Your genuine opinion is my hobby is killing innocent people? https://t.co/J8HcDolslp
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    All UKIP hands have been called to Oldham this morning. Hopefully they may pull it off. ;)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Just in case Ukip do win, and 7/2 shots do win sometimes I suppose, remember we have already been warned on here about the hatred between Bickley and Carswell

https://twitter.com/douglascarswell/status/672343217275277312
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Comrade Grintz:

#ticktock

I hope he is a parody, though some believe he is just a bloody fool.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    edited December 2015
    Mr. K, whilst I hope so, I still think it's doubtful.

Edited extra bit: Dr. Spyn, could say much the same about Corbyn.
  • Options

Pong said:

btw - doesn't UKIP look a bit ridiculous?

From what I understand the party were against bombing ISIS, yet Carswell voted for - on the basis that Hillary Benn had convinced him.

No one looks at UKIP. If they did, I'd agree.
    the parliamentary UKIP is about as divorced from its members as labour is
    UKIP voters were the most pro bombing weren't they? So if 100% of its MP's voted for it Id say that gives lie to your claim
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    isam said:

Just in case Ukip do win, and 7/2 shots do win sometimes I suppose, remember we have already been warned on here about the hatred between Bickley and Carswell

(snip)

Did people use the word 'hatred' ? ISTR posters were commenting on the fact that the two might well have different views on some important issues, which might be problematic in a party with only two MPs.
  • Options

Mr. K, whilst I hope so, I still think it's doubtful.

Edited extra bit: Dr. Spyn, could say much the same about Corbyn.

Hi Morris. Hope springs eternal! :p
  • Options
    Listening to Hilary Benn's outstanding speech, which I agree with in its entirety, reminds me of the spellbinding oratory of Michael Foot in the HoC Saturday debate on the Falklands war.

Both speeches, whilst critical of aspects of the governments approach, set out the case for military action with passion, accuracy and clarity that is required when the Commons is required to ask our military to potentially make the ultimate sacrifice in the wider interest of the nation.
  • Options

isam said:

(snip)

Did people use the word 'hatred' ? ISTR posters were commenting on the fact that the two might well have different views on some important issues, which might be problematic in a party with only two MPs.
    Change a nappy JJ, no time for nitpicking!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Scott_P said:

@ZoraSuleman: 2 RAF Typhoon jets from Lossiemouth just about to take off and join the UKs airbase in Cyprus - 4 others expected to join later

And the Zoomers are going nuts

Going?

They already were.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    My main interest in Oldham is whether the Lib Dems will keep their deposit.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@BolsoverBeast: Those of us who admired and respected Tony Benn were listening for a cock crow after his son denied him 3 times.

Peter denied Jesus in Gethsemane, but went on to be (as Jesus foretold) the rock on which the church was founded.
    But only after repenting his betrayal.
  • Options
    Just had a 'friend' on facebook 'like' the following post.

'We really do have the biggest t*** you could ever imagine for a Prime Minister. I'm not a violent man at all, but I would love to punch him in the face today'.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the New Politics.
  • Options
    Didn't the denials happen after Gethsemane? I thought that was when/where Jesus asked for the cup of suffering to be taken from him, and God told him to do one [or words to that effect].
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    isam said:

This can't be right, someone on here the other day said Bickley and Carswell loathe each other.

I still think Labour will win narrowly but will be forced into a rethink, whatever that entails

• Options
    edited December 2015
    JackW said:

Listening to Hilary Benn's outstanding speech, which I agree with in its entirety, reminds me of the spellbinding oratory of Michael Foot in the HoC Saturday debate on the Falklands war.

Both speeches, whilst critical of aspects of the governments approach, set out the case for military action with passion, accuracy and clarity that is required when the Commons is required to ask our military to potentially make the ultimate sacrifice in the wider interest of the nation.

I thought the speech was good, but only outstanding by the fact that the vast majority of Labour speeches and interjections were shit by comparison.

However if Hilary was a mench he would have resigned his front bench post days ago. How he can stay in the same room as Jezzabel, let alone sit side by side with him in the commons, is one for the story tellers.
    (edit)
  • Options

isam said:

(snip)

What are these different views?
  • Options
    @rosschawkins: Corbyn risks letting left wing activists bully his MPs says Labour MP - full story from @BBCr4today - https://t.co/VtWGWPIeX6
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,273
    edited December 2015

chestnut said:

US Shootings:

The two attackers were named as Syed Rizwan Farook, a 28-year-old man, and Tashfeen Malik, a 27-year-old woman. Police said they were in a relationship and possibly married.

Looks like the guy "went postal" at a gathering with his colleagues, came back with his wife tooled up to the hilt and determined to take out as many as he could.

Thankfully seems that religion wasn't a factor (depending on what comments sparked him in the first place). But the fact remain that every 3 months, Americans inflict the death toll of 9/11 on each other. One event defined American attitudes for the twenty-first century. But we have now had the equivalent death toll of fifty 9/11s since that fateful day - but America refuses to confront gun control. Extraordinary.
    I feel like a stuck record saying this every time this happens, but there are countries with more guns than the States and less gun crime, and countries with less guns than the States and more gun crime. It's a profound sickness at the heart of that country that creates these dreadful events - something far harder to deal with than restricting the sale of weapons.
    Are there many countries with higher gun ownership than the US?

In any case, much like keeping sharp objects away from people with certain mental illnesses, isn't the US's 'profound sickness' a pretty good reason for lowering/restricting gun ownership there?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Stop the War will continue to hold to democratic account all those MPs who vote for war.

http://stopwar.org.uk/index.php/resources/stop-the-war-statements/stop-the-war-statement-on-uk-parliament-s-decision-to-bomb-syria

Does STW have elections to its policy making bodies?

Is Corbyn still going to the STW Xmas do? I foresee that if he does go and if there is then bad or illegal behaviour by STW, this could have serious blowback for him
  • Options
    edited December 2015

isam said:

//twitter.com/douglascarswell/status/672343217275277312

snip

I still think Labour will win narrowly but will be forced into a rethink, whatever that entails

I'd be surprised if anything changes. It's full steam ahead for the Corbyn project - Momentum and Stop the War won't accept anything less.

And any Labour MP who has a part in forcing Jezzer out, will be on the receiving end of a whole heap of misery, judging by the antics of his hardcore supporters so far.
  • Options

chestnut said:

US Shootings:

The two attackers were named as Syed Rizwan Farook, a 28-year-old man, and Tashfeen Malik, a 27-year-old woman. Police said they were in a relationship and possibly married.

Looks like the guy "went postal" at a gathering with his colleagues, came back with his wife tooled up to the hilt and determined to take out as many as he could.

Thankfully seems that religion wasn't a factor (depending on what comments sparked him in the first place). But the fact remain that every 3 months, Americans inflict the death toll of 9/11 on each other. One event defined American attitudes for the twenty-first century. But we have now had the equivalent death toll of fifty 9/11s since that fateful day - but America refuses to confront gun control. Extraordinary.
    I feel like a stuck record saying this every time this happens, but there are countries with more guns than the States and less gun crime, and countries with less guns than the States and more gun crime. It's a profound sickness at the heart of that country that creates these dreadful events - something far harder to deal with than restricting the sale of weapons.

In any case, much like keeping sharp objects away from people with certain mental illnesses, isn't the US's 'profound sickness' a pretty good reason for lowering/restricting gun ownership there?
    I read an article recently that every time there's a similar shooting in US gun sales go up.

• Options
    MikeK said:

However if Hilary was a mench he would have resigned his front bench post days ago. How he can stay in the same room as Jezzabel, let alone sit side by side with him in the commons, is one for the story tellers.
    (edit)

I suspect his view is something along the lines of, "If one of has to resign, it should be that ****er"
  • Options
  • Options

isam said:

(snip)

I saw Bickley making a cup of tea in the UKIP base in Oldham and he used skimmed milk. Carswell is a strict semi skimmed man; he feels very strongly about this.

Problems for UKIP
  • Options
    watford30 said:

isam said:

snip

I'd be surprised if anything changes. It's full steam ahead for the Corbyn project - Momentum and Stop the War won't accept anything less.

Yes you're probably right and I have mixed feelings. It seems in the North now Labour's target market is ethnic communities whilst the WWC are leaving in thousands, do Labour address or accept that? I honestly don't know.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@gabyhinsliff: 'those who lectured me about "our party"..FYI I have the membership lists & most of u aren't on it' Go @jessphillips https://t.co/lgYLZ8sp8i

There's more from Phillips:

"Half of one of the batches of framed emails I received speaking of "our party" are not just not members of our party, but they are not members of the electorate either. Own goal."

Ah, the mythical non-voters who will be coming romping home to help a massive surge towards a proper Labour government in 2020.
  • Options
    Fifty-six years ago, after a third successive election defeat, Denis Healey told the party conference that Labour would “never get power unless we close the gap between our active workers and the average voter in the country”. That gap is now wider than it has been in many years. Polling commissioned by the freelance data guru Ian Warren, who worked for Labour in the 2015 election, shows that Corbyn’s Labour Party is at variance with every demographic in every region across the country on every major issue, from security to taxation.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2015/12/jeremy-corbyn-believes-respectful-dissent-why-don-t-his-supporters
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

(snip)

I saw Bickley making a cup of tea in the UKIP base in Oldham and he used skimmed milk. Carswell is a strict semi skimmed man; he feels very strongly about this.

Problems for UKIP
    You'll also notice one is wearing jeans and no tie, the other slacks with a tie, irreversible divisions.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

MikeK said:

(edit)

I suspect his view is something along the lines of, "If one of has to resign, it should be that ****er"
    What's more, he's proven how effective he,and others like him, can be inside the shadow cabinet. It was only opposition from Benn and co that resulted in even a nominally free vote.
  • Options
    Miss Vance, that sounds like a strategically perilous situation to find oneself in. Still, it's not unexpected.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

isam said:

isam said:

(snip)

Problems for UKIP
    You'll also notice one is wearing jeans and no tie, the other slacks with a tie, irreversible divisions.

Carswell has long been an extremely vocal critic of Berghaus apparel

Awkward
  • Options

What's more, he's proven how effective he,and others like him, can be inside the shadow cabinet. It was only opposition from Benn and co that resulted in even a nominally free vote.

@iainmartin1: Labour will have to split. Here's how to do it. (Me for @CapX on saving moderate Labour) https://t.co/0KVUuAZHop via @CapX
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Merely a flesh wound.

Fifty-six years ago, after a third successive election defeat, Denis Healey told the party conference that Labour would “never get power unless we close the gap between our active workers and the average voter in the country”. That gap is now wider than it has been in many years. Polling commissioned by the freelance data guru Ian Warren, who worked for Labour in the 2015 election, shows that Corbyn’s Labour Party is at variance with every demographic in every region across the country on every major issue, from security to taxation.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2015/12/jeremy-corbyn-believes-respectful-dissent-why-don-t-his-supporters

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,788
    edited December 2015
    LabourList on how to gauge Oldham:

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/what-will-the-oldham-by-election-result-mean-for-labour/

5000+ Nothing to worry about
    4000 Worry
    2000 Panic
  • Options

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/what-will-the-oldham-by-election-result-mean-for-labour/

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

200 Blame Blair
  • Options

isam said:

(snip)

Why ask me? Why not ask the people who made the posts?

I'm responding to iSam's comment that people said Carswell and Bickley hated each other. I cannot remember anyone saying that, and stated what I think they did say.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited December 2015
    MrsB said:

My main interest in Oldham is whether the Lib Dems will keep their deposit.

With turnout hopefully a winner, and UKIP looking like a good value loser - the Lib Dem deposit could be the main betting question for a few of us today.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2015
    watford30 said:

isam said:

snip

And any Labour MP who has a part in forcing Jezzer out, will be on the receiving end of a whole heap of misery, judging by the antics of his hardcore supporters so far.
    Good morning all. A rethink? At this point I'm convinced that the Labour party has been parasitised by a variety of far-left factions. It's still shambling along based on historical momentum, despite having its brain devoured. Eventually it will keel over.

Benn's speech was merely workmanlike. That it's being so lauded simply shows how desperate things have become.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I remember that Foot speech well. It was, indeed, magnificent. But it was all downhill from there for him. Will Benn enjoy the same fate?

• Options

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

200 Blame Blair
    -200 Blame Thatcher
  • Options

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

200 Blame Blair
    Sub Zero - Blame the Tory infiltrators in the party who voted for War. And purge them.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

(snip)

Problems for UKIP

Carswell has long been an extremely vocal critic of Berghaus apparel
    On a serious note Douglas conducted himself as a proper Parliamentarian yesterday, went along to the debate, listened to both sides and voted accordingly. The standard of MPs would increase enormously if there were no whips and members voted with their conscience.

• Options
    SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

Comrade Grintz:

#ticktock

I saw him as well, and had a look down his Timeline. At first I was convinced he must be a parody, but if he is, the parody is incredibly elaborate and thorough - there are entire days of quite sensible tweets, then total madness, then moderation again.

Who would bother to fake all that? I suspect he is real.
    Someone has complained to BBC:

http://bbcwatch.org/tag/darren-grintz/
  • Options
    Strange to think it's only people like Benn and Watson stopping the labour party from going full on bats*** crazy.

They need supporting.
  • Options

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

No way they'll take a 2000+ majority. Retaining their majority to within an order of magnitude will be a big ask.
  • Options

isam said:

(snip)

I'm responding to iSam's comment that people said Carswell and Bickley hated each other. I cannot remember anyone saying that, and stated what I think they did say.
    Well I wasn't directly asking you, just rhetorically replying to your post. The point is people make things up to suit their warped agendas, this site is a perfect example of that.

• Options
    SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all. A great speech from Hilary Benn - when watched a second time this morning rather than when a little squiffy well after midnight!
    Whole 14 minute speech here.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GTNK4VsXs

Thanks for posting this - I didn't see it last night.

After all of the breathless hype I was vaguely disappointed.
    It's quite good, but not the Nuremberg Rally quality of speech that is being sold on here.
    I agree, it was the walking dog of speeches. It wasn't so much that it was done well, it was that it was done at all - a Shadow Cabinet minister giving a reasonable and coherent analysis of why his party should support a "war".

Nonetheless Benn is now very clearly the front runner in the After Corbyn Candidates.

It was certainly a lot better than either Dave's or Jezza's. Clipped, fluent fury is what he gave us. It was a controlled release of pent-up emotion: "What the fuck are we doing with this fool behind me as leader? This is what Labour really should be about." I suspect it worked more magic for those of us who had despaired of ever again hearing our principles spoken out loud by a frontbench Labour politician. It gave us hope, which maybe in the cold light of day we should not have allowed ourselves. But it felt very good at the time.

• Options
    Which is the most divided party between its members and its representatives? Its the Lib Dems!
    The Conservatives have just a minority of its MPs against the action, similar to the views in its members.
    Labour has a majority of its MPs against, similar to the views of its members.
    The SNP has all its MPs against which is probably a greater share than its members views but still very close.
    The LDs have 6 of its 8 MPs for this and 2 out of 3 of its members against.... (LDVoice survey)
    Over looked is the big gap between LD MPs and their members views.
  • Options

isam said:

This can't be right, someone on here the other day said Bickley and Carswell loathe each other.

They both look a bit middle class to me.
  • Options

isam said:

They both look a bit middle class to me.
    Whatever that means

• Options

Which is the most divided party between its members and its representatives? Its the Lib Dems!
    The Conservatives have just a minority of its MPs against the action, similar to the views in its members.
    The SNP has all its MPs against which is probably a greater share than its members views but still very close.
    The LDs have 6 of its 8 MPs for this and 2 out of 3 of its members against.... (LDVoice survey)

Which LDs voted against? I heard just Norman Lamb.
  • Options

SeanT said:

dr_spyn said:

Comrade Grintz:

#ticktock

I saw him as well, and had a look down his Timeline. At first I was convinced he must be a parody, but if he is, the parody is incredibly elaborate and thorough - there are entire days of quite sensible tweets, then total madness, then moderation again.

Who would bother to fake all that? I suspect he is real.
    Someone has complained to BBC:

http://bbcwatch.org/tag/darren-grintz/
    He claims to be a Labour Party Member.

Will Corbyn have him kicked out for these comments, or are they considered to be acceptable on his watch?
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Andy Burnham tells @VictoriaLIVE he didn't back bombing in Syria because of "The Iraq Test" and a lack of planning for aftermath
  • Options

SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all. A great speech from Hilary Benn - when watched a second time this morning rather than when a little squiffy well after midnight!

It's quite good, but not the Nuremberg Rally quality of speech that is being sold on here.
    I agree, it was the walking dog of speeches. It wasn't so much that it was done well, it was that it was done at all - a Shadow Cabinet minister giving a reasonable and coherent analysis of why his party should support a "war".

Nonetheless Benn is now very clearly the front runner in the After Corbyn Candidates.

It was certainly a lot better than either Dave's or Jezza's. Clipped, fluent fury is what he gave us. It was a controlled release of pent-up emotion: "What the fuck are we doing with this fool behind me as leader? This is what Labour really should be about." I suspect it worked more magic for those of us who had despaired of ever again hearing our principles spoken out loud by a frontbench Labour politician. It gave us hope, which maybe in the cold light of day we should not have allowed ourselves. But it felt very good at the time.

A ranting emotional laden speech was the last thing you want from a prime minister.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

JackW said:

I thought the speech was good, but only outstanding by the fact that the vast majority of Labour speeches and interjections were shit by comparison.

(edit)
    You are as incorrect as your prediction of 102 UKIP MP's after the general election.

Benn's was an outstanding speech given the context of opposing his party leader, the majority of Labour MP's, the nature of the Commons occasion and the widespread acclaim from members on all sides of the HoC, except the SNP and other odds and sods.

Benn's sits next to Jezza for the same reason Carswell would sit beside Farage, had he managed to win in May - in our liberal democracy you are allowed to hold different views from colleagues without resort to beheading them or castigating them for having the temerity to hold an opposing and principled view, the latter point the Prime Minister should reflect upon too.

• Options

isam said:

(snip)

Well I wasn't directly asking you, just rhetorically replying to your post. The point is people make things up to suit their warped agendas, this site is a perfect example of that.

Do you include yourself in that? ;)
  • Options
    Earlier this morning I read on here about how the latest mass shootings in America were solely due to the gun laws. Seemed a sensible conclusion, job done let us move on...

Whisper it, the two shooters were muslims, one described as very religous.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12030481/Syed-Farook-what-we-know-about-the-San-Bernardino-gunman.html

Seems more likely to be a correlation between easier access to machine guns (like Schengen France) and the problem of Muslim terrorists (like France and Belgium).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Andy Burnham tells @VictoriaLIVE he didn't back bombing in Syria because of "The Iraq Test" and a lack of planning for aftermath

How funny. Last night the Butcher claimed he voted No, because of the Terrorist Sympathiser comments from Cameron.

Burnham would have been a worse party leader than Corbyn.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Scott_P said:

@ZoraSuleman: 2 RAF Typhoon jets from Lossiemouth just about to take off and join the UKs airbase in Cyprus - 4 others expected to join later

And the Zoomers are going nuts

But...but..but MalcolmG said we only had two to contribute he can't be wrong he knows you know.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    edited December 2015
    Sandpit said:

The Twitter feed on '66 Labour MPs' is a great demonstration of the 'new politics'.....

The new 'kind and gentle' politics that was sending photos of dead children to MPs yesterday, and is now calling them child murderers. Nice, kind and gentle politics.
    I am frankly sick of this. What about photos of a pilot burnt alive in a cage? What about photos of young girls raped to death, of children tortured because their parents wouldn't abandon Christianity? What about photos of mass graves of murdered women? What about photos of what a gay man looks like after he's been thrown off a building and then stoned?

Those banners saying: "Don't bomb Syria" should read "Don't bomb IS".

Because that's what those protestors are FOR. They may think they're for rainbows and peace and holding hands and teaching the world to sing in harmony. But they're not. Here and now in this world as it is, they are for doing nothing about terrorists, they are for doing nothing against those who slaughter people as they eat and talk to their lovers and friends, they are for doing nothing against people who burn women alive for not doing extreme sex acts, they are for doing nothing against those who slaughter children for being Christian, and all the ghastly rest of it. They may like to think they are not but that is what, objectively, they are for when they say "let's not bomb IS".

They have blood on their hands. Inaction has consequences just as much as action.

I am sick of these people claiming the moral high ground. So self-centred are they, so concerned with keeping their precious hands clean are they that they turn away from the fact that they are complicit in the crimes they ignore.

It is time this was rammed down by their throats.

"For evil to triumph it is enough that good men do nothing"

I'm not even sure that all of them are good men but, even assuming that they are, they certainly want to do nothing.

Benn's reference in his speech to the Good Samaritan, to not walking by on the other side, was well said. I am not going to be told that only those who refuse to act are moral. I am not prepared to give such people a free pass on this.

• Options
    @election_data: "Result expected at 01.30am"
  • Options

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

No way they'll take a 2000+ majority. Retaining their majority to within an order of magnitude will be a big ask.

It'll be UKIP by hundreds or Labour by tens.

• Options
    This is big:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/137322ca-999d-11e5-9228-87e603d47bdc.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product#axzz3tFhYaCb0

"EU ministers will on Friday discuss suspending the Schengen passport-free travel zone for two years, on the basis that the migrant crisis has exposed “serious deficiencies” at the Greek border that endanger the overall area...

In effect, this would see the temporary border checks introduced this summer between countries such as Austria and Germany become a long-term fixture, fracturing the passport-free zone...

Steve Peers, a law professor at the University of Essex, said: “It’s possible that the general threat to suspend Schengen is intended as a threat to suspend Greece only, but is simply badly drafted. Or perhaps the idea is to threaten to suspend the whole of Schengen and pin the blame on Greece. Either way, in my view, this threat is seriously mistaken, for both legal and political reasons.” "
  • Options
    @georgeeaton: Reliable Lib Dem source tells me Labour victory in Oldham will be far more comfortable than expected.
  • Options

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

It'll be UKIP by hundreds or Labour by tens.

@Southamobserver "Look at what you could have won"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    edited December 2015

isam said:

I am not for one minute predicting that the Syrian bombing will turn out to be the new Iraq, but I think it is worth reflecting that the MP's that voted for Iraq in 2003 probably felt just as those who voted for Syria yesterday do, ie they weren't bloodthirsty warmongers, they were torn over what to do

Now they are viewed slightly suspiciously, and admitting to having voted for Iraq is the equivalent of owning up to dropping one in a lift, while those who didn't make it a bulletpoint on their CV... will be interesting to see how this develops and who plays which role ten years hence

Agree to a certain extent, although I think yesterday's debate was better than the one before Iraq (although to be fair I'd have to listen to the latter again).

However I find it slightly odd that MPs should think that way about matters of foreign affairs, when decisions they make on domestic issues have more more effect on the lives and wellbeing of their constituents.
    isam's right about how a lot of MPs in 2003 felt. I think JJ's view is odd - wars are about killing people and potentially sending people to die, most MPs' work is about whether tax credits go up or down and whether HS2 should go through the constituuency, not to mention more trivial matters. Of course war/peace is more important and more of an issue to worry about.

I seem to be unusual but I think Corbyn, Benn and McDonnell are all behaving well. Benn's speech attacks Cameron for his "terrorist" stuff and then properly addresses the main issue. Corbyn has a long piece on his FB page denouncing people from any side who intimidate MPs and he's stressing the right of all MPs to take their own view - consistently with his own record. McDonnell praises Benn's speech but notes that Blair's speech in similar circumstances was brilliant too and sometimes the outcome isn't what one wants. The outriders on both sides who tell each other to fuck off or claim that colleagues are Trots or Tories are the people getting in the way of an adult dialogue.

Whether the decision last night was sensible is a different matter. I doubt it, but will be glad to be proved wrong.
  • Options

SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

A ranting emotional laden speech was the last thing you want from a prime minister.

Maybe - but it is reasonable to expect a clear and compelling one when the PM is making the case for military action. Dave failed on that front yesterday.

• Options
    Mr. P, cheers for that.

Miss Cyclefree, seen a few people quoting Doctor Who (a recent two-parter with the Zygons ended with a pro-peace speech). Except that it calls for negotiation, which is impossible when the view of Daesh is to spread their dominion by brutality. You can't negotiate with an adversary whose starting point is the end of democracy and the death of non-believers.
  • Options

This is big:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/137322ca-999d-11e5-9228-87e603d47bdc.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/brussels/feed//product#axzz3tFhYaCb0

"EU ministers will on Friday discuss suspending the Schengen passport-free travel zone for two years, on the basis that the migrant crisis has exposed “serious deficiencies” at the Greek border that endanger the overall area...

In effect, this would see the temporary border checks introduced this summer between countries such as Austria and Germany become a long-term fixture, fracturing the passport-free zone...

Steve Peers, a law professor at the University of Essex, said: “It’s possible that the general threat to suspend Schengen is intended as a threat to suspend Greece only, but is simply badly drafted. Or perhaps the idea is to threaten to suspend the whole of Schengen and pin the blame on Greece. Either way, in my view, this threat is seriously mistaken, for both legal and political reasons.” "

Some countries will surely never have border control, Belgium and the Netherlands spring to mind. For others like Spain/France I think it makes sense.
  • Options

isam said:

(snip)

Do you include yourself in that? ;)
    Quite good!

• Options
    @election_data · 2m2 minutes ago
    Going for 32% turnout in #OldhamWest .

I like the sound of that number.
  • Options

isam said:

isam's right about how a lot of MPs in 2003 felt. I think JJ's view is odd - wars are about killing people and potentially sending people to die, most MPs' work is about whether tax credits go up or down and whether HS2 should go through the constituuency, not to mention more trivial matters. Of course war/peace is more important and more of an issue to worry about.

I seem to be unusual but I think Corbyn, Benn and McDonnell are all behaving well. Benn's speech attacks Cameron for his "terrorist" stuff and then properly addresses the main issue. Corbyn has a long piece on his FB page denouncing people from any side who intimidate MPs and he's stressing the right of all MPs to take their own view - consistently with his own record. McDonnell praises Benn's speech but notes that Blair's speech in similar circumstances was brilliant too and sometimes the outcome isn't what one wants. The outriders on both sides who tell each other to fuck off or claim that colleagues are Trots or Tories are the people getting in the way of an adult dialogue.

Whether the decision last night was sensible is a different matter. I doubt it, but will be glad to be proved wrong.
    Nick. Had you been in the HoC how would you have voted?

• Options

Mr. P, cheers for that.

Miss Cyclefree, seen a few people quoting Doctor Who (a recent two-parter with the Zygons ended with a pro-peace speech). Except that it calls for negotiation, which is impossible when the view of Daesh is to spread their dominion by brutality. You can't negotiate with an adversary whose starting point is the end of democracy and the death of non-believers.

Daesh are like the Daleks !
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    edited December 2015
    Scott_P said:

@georgeeaton: Reliable Lib Dem source tells me Labour victory in Oldham will be far more comfortable than expected.

UKIP are generally useless at by-elections (and elections) so this wouldn't be surprising. Labour folk will vote for the party even if they dislike the leader.

• Options
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

isam said:

If Corbyn was serious in condemning intimidation, he would be suspending members on an hourly basis for their hate-filled actions - but he isn't.

By failing to act against his supporters who use threats and intimidation, he is giving them the green light to continue.

How long before someone gets hurt by a Momentum member?
  • Options
  • Options
    @rosschawkins: Alan Yentob quits BBC

AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING !!
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, they're less reasonable than daleks. In Death to the Daleks, the Doctor formed a truce with them whilst on a planet where electronic equipment failed to work. Can't see that happening with a Daeshbag.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

The Twitter feed on '66 Labour MPs' is a great demonstration of the 'new politics'.....

The new 'kind and gentle' politics that was sending photos of dead children to MPs yesterday, and is now calling them child murderers. Nice, kind and gentle politics.
    I am frankly sick of this. What about photos of a pilot burnt alive in a cage? What about photos of young girls raped to death, of children tortured because their parents wouldn't abandon Christianity? What about photos of mass graves of murdered women? What about photos of what a gay man looks like after he's been thrown off a building and then stoned?

Because that's what those protestors are FOR. They may think they're for rainbows and peace and holding hands and teaching the world to sing in harmony. But they're not. Here and now in this world as it is, they are for doing nothing about terrorists, they are for doing nothing against those who slaughter people as they eat and talk to their lovers and friends, they are for doing nothing against people who burn women alive for not doing extreme sex acts, they are for doing nothing against those who slaughter children for being Christian, and all the ghastly rest of it. They may like to think they are not but that is what, objectively, they are for when they say "let's not bomb IS".

They have blood on their hands. Inaction has consequences just as much as action.

I am sick of these people claiming the moral high ground. So self-centred are they, so concerned with keeping their precious hands clean are they that they turn away from the fact that they are complicit in the crimes they ignore.

I'm not even sure that all of them are good men but, even assuming that they are, they certainly want to do nothing.

Benn's reference in his speech to the Good Samaritan, to not walking by on the other side, was well said. I am not going to be told that only those who refuse to act are moral. I am not prepared to give such people a free pass on this.

Apologies I'm not sure if you're Mr, Mrs, Ms or whatever but that is a superb piece.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

Why doesn't this surprise me?

"Home Office borders security scheme is '£1bn waste of money'

National Audit Office finds that system due to be replaced and used to identify potential terrorists regularly collapses with 16 million people going unchecked"

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/03/flaws-in-home-office-security-forcing-staff-to-rely-on-incomplete-intelligence
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited December 2015

chestnut said:

US Shootings:

I read an article recently that every time there's a similar shooting in US gun sales go up.
    Gun law in the US is a classic case of Wouldn't Start From Here. Outside the coastal cities it's a very big and sparely populated place with a need for guns, if not the military grade weapons that are available in a lot of states.

It's also one of those debates where moderate and nuanced voices are drowned out by extreme views on both sides, making reasoned discussion of the issues almost impossible.

Huge attitudinal changes are required, a good starting point might be to strengthen rules about gun cabinets and medical fitness for gun permits.
  • Options

Which LDs voted against? I heard just Norman Lamb.
    Just Norman afaik. He voted in line with 2 out of 3 LD members, the 6 LD MPs who voted "for" are way out of line with their membership.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

His bank manager will be more pleased than most, no doubt his handshake was golden.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

There are good and good faith arguments against bombing, some of which were made yesterday. But the moral high ground is not exclusively owned by one side and the way the protesters seem to think that it only belongs to them and that this justifies them in behaving in ways and saying things which are really appalling really gets my goat. (As is probably clear.)

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Hell YES!
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    @BethRigby: Alan Yentob has resigned from #BBC as creative director, am told he WILL stay on as presenter of Imagine
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    Labour have found their antidote to the Corbyn poison ; the fever has broken and they are now on the slow road to recovery ...they will hold Oldham today with a slim majority but it will be a pyhrric victory of sorts

I bet heavily on HILARY BENN to be next leader over the weekend @ 10-1after recieving a tip from John McTeran over at the Telegraph ...it's not over yet ; Corbyn could last until the London mayor's race in May but when Zac Goldsmith wins it will be time for him to resign
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

UKIP are generally useless at by-elections (and elections) so this wouldn't be surprising. Labour folk will vote for the party even if they dislike the leader.

Not all of them will.

So much of the focus has been on Labour, but what would a bad result for UKIP be? A failure to get a head of steam among white working class voters would surely be a significant setback. It does need to come a close second at least, doesn't it?

• Options

4000 Worry
    2000 Panic

Depends a lot on the turnout how big a majority they'd need to stop worrying.
    We're getting lots of conflicting predictions on here and Farage's piece in the Times is almost a victory speech.
    I'm content to leave it til tomorrow morning and see the actual result.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Scott_P said:

When he was on Question Time a couple of weeks ago he robotically repeated a demand for a UN mandate, like a poor attempt to copy Charles Kennedy's position on the Iraq War.
  • Options

SeanT said:

GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Maybe - but it is reasonable to expect a clear and compelling one when the PM is making the case for military action. Dave failed on that front yesterday.

Agreed, Cameron could have had a major political triumph in the HoC yesterday, but for the stupid comment the day before. When even moderates such as Gisela attacked you.
  • Options
    Has there ever been a bigger gulf of class between Shadow Foreign Sec and shadow Home Sec ?
This discussion has been closed.