Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » This week’s PB/Polling Matters podcast: The 2016 White Hous

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

twitter.com/suttonnick/status/669643044950548482

Doesn't that nullify Labour's attack about austerity? I think the Spectator had a chart showing some departments were down 20% between now and 2020.
    Kinda. I had drinks with someone who knows about economics. He said from his analysis, Osborne is betting the farm on there being no recession between now and 2020.

If there is a recession then Osborne is fecked.
    Seems a losing gambit, quite frankly.
    If you're opponents are Corbyn and McDonnell you know you can't lose, even if George went round to every marginal voters' house and had a dump in their living rooms, he'd win a majority.
    But surely they won't be his opponents (assuming for the moment it is Osborne who will be leader in 2020)? If, as predicted, they are terrible for Labour prospects irrefutable electoral evidence to that effect will emerge long before then and resistance will become strong enough to displace the pair of them.

So then it becomes a question of if they have done too much damage to the Labour image for his prospects to be reduced, or if Osborne's financial chicanery will collapse under the weight of circumstance to the degree that Labour are once again credible.

Now, that seems obvious that the Labour due would do more harm than Osborne being undermined by his own failings, but there are still millions of people who say they will vote Labour, and even if not all of them will and it wouldn't be enough, that's still a lot more than it seems should say that, given some of the things the pair come out with, so I cannot entirely discount the possibility that as quickly as they have descended into the current mess, a new, even bland leader and Osborne collapsing could see them ascend back equally quickly.

Likely? Probably not. But even though I should know not to trust my gut, it just seems...wrong that things could possibly go so well for the Tories that nothing that happens to them could prevent them from winning.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Mao! Pinch me. This has to be a bad dream.

It was a cultural revelation.
    Has Tim tweeted yet?
    He is going bonkers...lets just say he isn't a fan of Laurel and Hardy double act e.g. He'll definitely have a copy of Ghaddafi's Green Book to bring in for his next show and tell.
    Where can that be found?
    He was tweeting at a Labour MP.
    Sorry ....Where on Twitter I meant. Twitter address or whatever it's called?
    https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/with_replies
    Thanks. Did quite like this one...

@PickardJE Spending a day clarifying that the police could shoot a suicide bomber topped by having to clarify you oppose 45million deaths
  • Options

Ouch.

He has a point though...

Sorry.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Seema Malhotra on McDonnell Mao's red book...telling initial hesitation, then 'he made his own decisions on this..' #newsnight.

So much for the ‘decision by committee’ spin. – Osbo was right, it was his on signed copy.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    surbiton said:

The Osborne appointed OBR is coming up with neat political treats for Ozzy.

No change in growth forecasts since June and no change in interest rates. Yet the magic tree produces £25bn.

When can we expect them to be given the knighthoods ?

Mainly an increase in tax receipts and smaller debt interest payments. Simples really.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The one thing Labour have is the truth that come 2020 the Tories will not be able to play any sort of deficit card.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    perdix said:

surbiton said:

No change in growth forecasts since June and no change in interest rates. Yet the magic tree produces £25bn.

Mainly an increase in tax receipts and smaller debt interest payments. Simples really.

Smaller debt interest payments compared to what was calculated in June - 5 months ago, you simpleton !

Interest rates have not changed and borrowing this year will be higher by £4bn than was announced in June.

Growth rates remain unchanged.

You are gullible !
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Jonathan said:

Mao! Pinch me. This has to be a bad dream.

It was a cultural revelation.
    Has Tim tweeted yet?
    He is going bonkers...lets just say he isn't a fan of Laurel and Hardy double act e.g. He'll definitely have a copy of Ghaddafi's Green Book to bring in for his next show and tell.
    Where can that be found?
    He was tweeting at a Labour MP.
    Sorry ....Where on Twitter I meant. Twitter address or whatever it's called?
    https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/with_replies
    I have to say reading through his tweets today, really has been the wafer thin mint on the labourclypse
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,119
    Very interesting Greenberg tipping the new Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan, as an outside bet to be nominee at a brokered convention, though I think he will stick with being third line of succession to the presidency and running Congress
  • Options

surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Same time as the 'independent' Bank of England - where the Governor is appointed by who?
    Oh yes ! That man who said interest rates would go up when the Unemployment Rate hit 7%. I am still waiting ! Another Tory .
    You are just another incoherent leftie.
    Which part of my sentence was incorrect ?

http://www.pertemps.co.uk/en/about-us/news/bank-of-england-governor-mark-carney-interest-rates-held-until-unemployment-falls
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

Doesn't that nullify Labour's attack about austerity? I think the Spectator had a chart showing some departments were down 20% between now and 2020.
    Kinda. I had drinks with someone who knows about economics. He said from his analysis, Osborne is betting the farm on there being no recession between now and 2020.

If you're opponents are Corbyn and McDonnell you know you can't lose, even if George went round to every marginal voters' house and had a dump in their living rooms, he'd win a majority.
    But surely they won't be his opponents (assuming for the moment it is Osborne who will be leader in 2020)? If, as predicted, they are terrible for Labour prospects irrefutable electoral evidence to that effect will emerge long before then and resistance will become strong enough to displace the pair of them.

So then it becomes a question of if they have done too much damage to the Labour image for his prospects to be reduced, or if Osborne's financial chicanery will collapse under the weight of circumstance to the degree that Labour are once again credible.

Now, that seems obvious that the Labour due would do more harm than Osborne being undermined by his own failings, but there are still millions of people who say they will vote Labour, and even if not all of them will and it wouldn't be enough, that's still a lot more than it seems should say that, given some of the things the pair come out with, so I cannot entirely discount the possibility that as quickly as they have descended into the current mess, a new, even bland leader and Osborne collapsing could see them ascend back equally quickly.

Likely? Probably not. But even though I should know not to trust my gut, it just seems...wrong that things could possibly go so well for the Tories that nothing that happens to them could prevent them from winning.
    If Corbyn is deposed then the Tories will just repeat that Labour are a heartbeat away from another hard left takeover.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Scott_P said:

@STJamesl: McDonnells little red book will fetch six figures at a Tory party fundraiser, labour MPs predict

That will still be only a grand chipped in from each Tory MP winning a seat off Labour in 2020....
  • Options
    surbiton said:

perdix said:

surbiton said:

Smaller debt interest payments compared to what was calculated in June - 5 months ago, you simpleton !

Interest rates have not changed and borrowing this year will be higher by £4bn than was announced in June.

You are gullible !
    Interest rates aren't the same as bond yields.
  • Options
    Pollys started twanking comments on her articles again.... pitiful.

Time for bed. Boing..
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Time for bed. Boing..

How about a bit of bed time Dimbleby and the 2015 exit poll? :D
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    RobD said:
    The Daily Mail story to end all Daily Mail stories, Justin Trudeau's two handed palm grasp for Cameron and the Queen apparently 'patronising'?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    The Daily Mail story to end all Daily Mail stories, Justin Trudeau's two handed palm grasp for Cameron and the Queen apparently 'patronising'?
    I'd agree, not in the same league as Keating "Lizard of Oz" ;):D
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

If Labour had a half decent leader and shadow chancellor, they could have had an excellent day today and looked forward to opinion poll leads in the near future. But they're led by complete pricks.

Seriously how did the Labour party end up being led by apologists for the IRA, Jihadi John and Mao quoters?

Don't forget the pricks that voted for them. I believe they gave the Chuckle Brothers a massive mandate to be pricks.
  • Options

The Mail aren't happpy

That is a brilliant Mail have-it-all-ways front page - contrast the main headline with the four boxes above it!
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

If you're opponents are Corbyn and McDonnell you know you can't lose, even if George went round to every marginal voters' house and took a dump in their living rooms, he'd win a majority.
    Well he might - but he wouldn't get my vote.
    What if he paid for your carpet to be cleaned?
  • Options

Charles said:

And I agree with Mail, which makes me feel bad.

Osborne has ruined my Buy To Let dreams.

I think it is going to go down very badly.
    I had dinner tonight with someone who watches the UK residential property market very very closely.

His view is that the government's major objective is to bring down house prices in a controlled way. This stamp duty reform was just part of increasing the pressure - expect to see more like this...
    Although the Daily Mail seems to think it is the end of buy-to-let and second homes. Who knew that the buy to let business model was entirely populated by people who couldn't figure out to offer 97% of the asking price....
    Mr Mark thank you for a tiny breath of sanity. The entire political comentariat is populated by hysterical incompetents. And this is before you get to the labour front bench.
    The level of comments on here as an example (with your exception as illustrated here) are laughably off beam and frankly quite pathetic.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    Indeed, the media do go overboard on these things, apparently Prince Charles was tapped on the botton by the head of his Australian charities too in breach of protocol
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/royal-tour-prince-charles-awkward-encounter-down-under/story-fni0cx12-1227606310964
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    Indeed, the media do go overboard on these things, apparently Prince Charles was tapped on the botton by the head of his Australian charities too in breach of protocol
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/royal-tour-prince-charles-awkward-encounter-down-under/story-fni0cx12-1227606310964
    I'd understand why they do it though... helps to usher people on without having to say anything to interrupt conversations etc. The image in the link you posted is nothing on what Keating did, he had his entire arm around HM! :p
  • Options
    surbiton said:

You have a very short and/ or selective memory if you think the OBR comprises Tory stooges. More likely you don't have a clue.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

perdix said:

surbiton said:

You are gullible !
    Have bond yields dropped since June ? Also that only applies to new debt. Governments pay existing debt on the coupon rate, the yield , of course, based on what price it was sold. However, once sold, that rate will remain fixed for the government.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GeneralBoles: On #ThanksgivingDay it's traditional for a political leader to pardon a turkey #spendingreview https://t.co/saaH3Not6p
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Another saving for the country that the country is not supposed to know about:
    https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/669651822202650626
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

perdix said:

surbiton said:

You are gullible !
    Have bond yields dropped since June ? Also that only applies to new debt. Governments pay existing debt on the coupon rate, the yield , of course, based on what price it was sold. However, once sold, that rate will remain fixed for the government.
    Bonds are maturing all the time, they aren't simply selling new bonds to pay for the deficit, so the bond rate is crucial to estimate what the level of debt interest would be. This probably accounts for the drop in debt interest payments perdix mentioned.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Time for bed. Boing..

How about a bit of bed time Dimbleby and the 2015 exit poll? :D
    I think a burst of the Mcdonnell AS response will suffice. Tara.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Another saving for the country that the country is not supposed to know about:
    https://twitter.com/Daily_Express/status/669651822202650626

We've heard plenty about HMS Ocean here on PB ;)
  • Options
    Do you reckon Mao might make an appearance in Oldham West?
  • Options
    A century ago yesterday Albert Einstein set out a general theory of relativity that identified parts of the universe where space and time have become so distorted that all light has been swallowed up. This is what it must feel like to be a moderate Labour MP.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/sketch/article4624017.ece
  • Options
    Roger said:

I can only equate it to being drunk and vomiting over your mother-in-law. A terrible day for Labour . It wasn't the little red book but watching the once powerful Labour Party reduced to a laughing stock.

I don't know where they go from here but watching brave Labour spokespeople pretending there's nothing to see is beyond sad

As I observed earlier, these are the pricks (courtesy TSE) who voted for the Chuckle Brothers and who now sustain them. For "brave" read "fucking idiotic".
  • Options

surbiton said:

You have a very short and/ or selective memory if you think the OBR comprises Tory stooges. More likely you don't have a clue.
    Didn't you get the memo? Anyone/anything opposing the Corbynista agenda is a Tory. Be it a quangos, a corporation, or your next door neighbour!
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    I'd understand why they do it though... helps to usher people on without having to say anything to interrupt conversations etc. The image in the link you posted is nothing on what Keating did, he had his entire arm around HM! :p
    Indeed, though Keating is of course an ardent Republican
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015
    I think it's fair to say that tim, formerly of this parish, is not a happy chappie.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    Trying to hug her to death? ;)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

Same time as the 'independent' Bank of England - where the Governor is appointed by who?
    Oh yes ! That man who said interest rates would go up when the Unemployment Rate hit 7%. I am still waiting ! Another Tory .
    You are just another incoherent leftie.
    Which part of my sentence was incorrect ?

http://www.pertemps.co.uk/en/about-us/news/bank-of-england-governor-mark-carney-interest-rates-held-until-unemployment-falls
    You are even more incoherent than I thought. Carney is managing the economy stupid. He is taking note of what is actually happening in the real world . You meanwhile do not even know what planet you are living on.

Please keep it up. The comments I read on here are delighting me. Far too many people have learned nothing and are repeating the same gibberish from 5 years ago. And this on a betting site where you all pretend to be better at finding 'value'.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

How do you post a "whistle" whilst referencing the time of day?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

I think it's fair to say that tim, formerly of this parish, is not a happy chappie.

It must be particularly hard for tim to look at Labour and concede that, relatively at least, George Osborne is indeed a genius....
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    Night :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

How do you post a "whistle" whilst referencing the time of day?
    Forgive me, but I have no idea what your question means.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    It's traditional that POTUS pardons a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Obama has taken to pardoning 2 turkeys. Last year it was Macaroni and Cheese. This year it's Honest and Abe.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I looked at his twitter account earlier.

He hasn't lost his charm has he :-)
  • Options

Do you reckon Mao might make an appearance in Oldham West?

Apocalypse Mao!

(eat your heart out, Sean T! :lol: )
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    He never says "Good" night, does he? :lol:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,985

Tim seems delighted with the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

A century ago yesterday Albert Einstein set out a general theory of relativity that identified parts of the universe where space and time have become so distorted that all light has been swallowed up. This is what it must feel like to be a moderate Labour MP.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/sketch/article4624017.ece

Black Hole Friday?
  • Options

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    I've definitely said "Good for Yes" on numerous occasions. LOL
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    I've never seen you say "Yes Night" :)
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    I may or may not have said "Yes, Minister" on some occasions :p
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    Sir Humphrey would have called that very courageous and brave :p

By the way - Happy Thanksgiving, safe travels and Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    Much more eloquent than "rue the day", don't you agree? :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:
    A cunning plan, night
    Much more eloquent than "rue the day", don't you agree? :D
    Of course - I wrote it. :lol:
  • Options
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/bb3a9ed2-92ba-11e5-bd82-c1fb87bef7af.html#ixzz3sYSjT4qA

George Osborne has shown he is an artful chancellor of the exchequer and, so far, a lucky one. A marked improvement in forecast tax revenue, together with an inept Opposition that considers it clever to quote Chairman Mao, allowed him to make tactical retreats in his Autumn Statement, while cleverly masking the size of other more controversial moves.

Let there be no doubt: Mr Osborne’s strategic direction remains unchanged. He wants to continue to shrink the size of government. His plans will leave the state to focus ever more on health and welfare. The first goal is defensible; the second carries risks.
  • Options
    What's your view on the appearance of Mao's little red book in the HOC?

If Cameron had pulled that stunt it would be a joke. When Labour Labour lefties do it, it just reinforces how left they are.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2015
    surbiton said:

chestnut said:

surbiton said:

No he did not!

Carney gave forward guidance that interest rates would not be expected to go up at least until the unemployment rate reached 7% at which point it will be reviewed.

The Tory Jobs Miracle (TM) made the unemployment rate come down much faster than expected despite external shocks and problems so the situation was reviewed. And quite rightly given that we currently have very either no inflation or very mild deflation (cf. the global situation) the decision was made not to raise interest rates yet - as doing so would make deflation worse.

Suggesting you won't do something before at least something else happens makes that something else what economists call a "Necessary but not sufficient condition". For you to convert it into anything else like saying "would go up" is either complete ignorance on your part or deception. I'm not sure which.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

By the way - Happy Thanksgiving, safe travels and Merry Christmas!

You too!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    edited November 2015

This isn't really about politics any more, it's about a basic failure on your part to read and comprehend. Your first para here isn't even English as far as I can make out.

READ the source that Alistair cited and you might understand. My list of objections do not refer to any internet outfit, it refers to the 'Monitoring group' known as 'The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights' (it might sound a bit more credible if someone told him what an observatory actually is). This monitoring group IS an insurgent propaganda operation. It's not pretending to be otherwise. Furthermore it does not even endeavour to list sources for its claims on casualty numbers. It is this organisation that I claim is not a professional outfit. It is not in any way a credible or reliable source of casualty numbers, let alone trying to work out percentages. You would surely agree?

As for the rest of it, that's precisely what I DON'T do. I don't judge a book by it's cover - I note it for sure, but as to the rest, I recognise and have said frequently (including in discussions with you) that there is no such thing as an impartial or even a fully trustworthy media source, and you should read them all with full knowledge of their agenda.

I'm sorry I really can't make the distinction any clearer for you.

You start off each of your posts with a little sneery attack. It's not a sign that you think you're on firm ground.

As for the first paragraph of my post: it's perfectly understandable.

Please read my objections to your post. You have created a series of false distinctions that make you think you can accept or reject information. On the face of it they sound good. Sadly, they are also utterly arbitrary, and it's clear you don't stick to them yourself. In fact, taken to extremes they're contradictory.

And you just use them to confirm 'facts' which match your world view, and reject those that do not.

As for your main claim, which is an attack on the SOHR. You claim: "This monitoring group IS an insurgent propaganda operation." That's quite a claim, and I hope you have full sources for that which match your criteria. So please post them, so we can all see how well your links 'proving' that assertion follow what you claim you do. (BTW, I like the way you put 'IS' in capitals, to associate it with IS).

Remember, according to you they must not be:
    -totally and self-confessedly partial and one sided
    -not on the ground
    -not a professional outfit
    -not cross-checked

Good luck.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    chestnut said:

The one thing Labour have is the truth that come 2020 the Tories will not be able to play any sort of deficit card.

Not so sure about that. They could say they were shackled by the LibDems for 5 years. They were then thwarted by the Lords etc etc. Then they point out who originally caused such a massive problem. Whether it's true or not really dosent matter, it's what the electorate believes in the end.
    The antics of the opposition front bench may well make it much easier for the Tories to sell the line than it would normally have been. TBH I suspect something will go tits up long before 2020 due to "events" anyway so it may not even come into play anyway as you say
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

It would be nice to have a little competition on this.

I think it'll be like Manchester Central back in 2012, with a very low turnout. I'll say 20% (just so Lucy Powell can still have the recent record for low turnouts). I just cannot see people being enthused enough by this election, especially at this time of year. There's not enough push or pull factors to send them to their local polling station.

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2015

JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

I think it'll be like Manchester Central back in 2012, with a very low turnout. I'll say 20% (just so Lucy Powell can still have the recent record for low turnouts). I just cannot see people being enthused enough by this election, especially at this time of year. There's not enough push or pull factors to send them to their local polling station.

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621
    If turnout is atrocious enough but the tories somehow manage to get most of their voters out, they could just snatch it. Remember, 8000 people voted tory in OW&R in May despite it being a very safe labour seat AND UKIP being perceived as the challenger.

A tory win isn't likely, but isn't impossible either.

Not that they'd have a cats chance in hell of holding it in 2020!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Tim_B said:

It's traditional that POTUS pardons a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Obama has taken to pardoning 2 turkeys. Last year it was Macaroni and Cheese. This year it's Honest and Abe.

Are you sure the pardoned turkeys weren't gifts from Dave of Witney called Jeremy and John?

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited November 2015

JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621
    Morning. Are you abroad or just insomniac today?

If the turnout goes as low as 20% there might be some value in the Tories to come at least second - Osborne handing out sweets and Labour emulating Mao will be the news for the next few days, and the Tory demographic are those who will turn out on a cold and wet December day.

Edit: @Pong - Snap!
  • Options
    Pong said:

JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621
    If turnout is atrocious enough but the tories somehow manage to get most of their voters out, they could just snatch it. Remember, 8000 people voted tory in OW&R in May despite it being a very safe labour seat AND UKIP being perceived as the challenger.

A tory win isn't likely, but isn't impossible either.

Not that they'd have a cats chance in hell of holding it in 2020!
    Agree with that. But I just think it'll be an election of two opposing forces: Labourites enthused by Corbyn enough to go to the polls, and UKIP voters enraged by immigration. I'm not sure the Conservatives will be able to get traction between those two forces.

It would be interesting to know if the 'Northern Powerhouse' meme has cut through in that part of the north. It might be worth a few votes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621

If the turnout goes as low as 20% there might be some value in the Tories to come at least second - Osborne handing out sweets and Labour emulating Mao will be the news for the next few days, and the Tory demographic are those who will turn out on a cold and wet December day.

No, I had to get up as my son woke up, and if I wake after four in the morning I find it the devil's work to get back to sleep. So after I settled him, it was a choice of either waking Mrs J up as I tried to get back to sleep, the spare bed, or try to do a little work (*). Oh, and read PB. :)

(*) Basically playing with compilers.
  • Options
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    From Mao's Little Red Book:

(1) "The seizure of power by armed force, the settlement of the issue by war, is the central task and the highest form of revolution."

(2) "The only way to settle questions of an ideological nature or controversial issues among the people is by the democratic method, the method of discussion, criticism, persuasion and education, and not by the method of coercion or repression."
  • Options

Sandpit said:

JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621

No, I had to get up as my son woke up, and if I wake after four in the morning I find it the devil's work to get back to sleep. So after I settled him, it was a choice of either waking Mrs J up as I tried to get back to sleep, the spare bed, or try to do a little work (*). Oh, and read PB. :)

Ouch! Oh well, as you say better to take advantage of a couple of quiet hours to get stuff done. Speaking of which, work to be done here too!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Someone posted the other day that the ED stone would no longer get into the top ten gaffes, and you can see why. I watched McDonnell throw the red book over to George, and I thought WTF WTF WTF...

Its almost impossible to see how much more inept the Labour opposition gaffes can get.. Where will it all end..
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

JohnLoony said:

Oldham West & Royton

I predict

Labour 9,000
    UKIP 6,000
    Conservative 3,000
    Lib Dem 1,000
    Green 500
    OMRLP 300

turnout 27%

Labour 6000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 2000
    Lib Dem 900
    Others 621
    Good morning fellow insomniacs!

isam was offerring 7/2 on Tories outpolling UKIP. I am on for a tenner (though also on UKIP at 8/1 with shadsy).

The by election is a difficult one to call. A PB NoJam contest may be amusing.

Perhaps:

Labour 9000
    UKIP 5000
    Conservative 3500
    LibDem 1750
    Others 750

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Ouch! Oh well, as you say better to take advantage of a couple of quiet hours to get stuff done. Speaking of which, work to be done here too!
    On the other hand, when I go to bed I can close my eyes and just go to sleep. Hence if it's my turn to look after him at night, I go to bed early and wake early.

This has proved really useful when backpacking: however uncomfortable I might be, I can often just close my eyes and sleep. Then, when I wake up early listen to the radio and pack up my tent to be on the trail for first light.

The early mornings are when I do most of my reading and trying to keep up with what's happening in the industry. Oh, and playing Elite. :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046

Someone posted the other day that the ED stone would no longer get into the top ten gaffes, and you can see why. I watched McDonnell throw the red book over to George, and I thought WTF WTF WTF...

Its almost impossible to see how much more inept the Labour opposition gaffes can get.. Where will it all end..

BBC seemed to quite like the exchange. Just saying.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

If you're opponents are Corbyn and McDonnell you know you can't lose, even if George went round to every marginal voters' house and took a dump in their living rooms, he'd win a majority.
    I've spent far too much of the last 48 hours with depressed Labour supporters.

To quote one them, Osborne as PM could announce he had appointed Herod the Great as Minister for Childcare and he'd still get a majority because his opponents are shite.

(I'm so using the Herod the Great line in a future thread)
    What do you think of the new fiscally wet, socially liberal, not obsessed with the Gays or Europe Tory Party?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

To quote one them, Osborne as PM could announce he had appointed Herod the Great as Minister for Childcare and he'd still get a majority because his opponents are shite.

What do you think of the new fiscally wet, socially liberal, not obsessed with the Gays or Europe Tory Party?
    You mean "Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party", of course not to be confused with the "Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party (Monarchist)" :p
  • Options

They have got Syria today. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Embarrassing and a joker. John McDonnell's own description of John McDonnell after his first two Commons outings as shadow chancellor.

@DPJHodges: Woman on Today talking about how she was give Little Red Book in forced labour camp as a child. Flamboyance. Humour.

@DPJHodges: "Not funny for the millions of people who died", she says. Come on. Where's your sense of humour. Stop being so pompous.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Floater said:

glw said:

LondonBob said:

As the Russians are operating alongside the Iraqi and Syrian governments they have superior intelligence on targets so logically they would likely be inflicting less civilian casualties due to mistakes in targeting.

Because if there is one thing the Russians are known for it is taking care not to kill civilians in a war zone.
    LOL - they took a lot of care in Chechnya - or was that a lot of care to flatten it?

They seem to be dropping iron bombs too rather than PGM's?
    Ypu, here's a video of a Russian Helicopter(!) dropping unguided bombs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nj5lqGD8cY
  • Options
    I've just gone from watching John McDonnell on the BBC News to the Teletubbies. It showed several things: Po has a better sense of the economy than McDonnnell, and the Teletubbies live in a more realistic world than the one that exists in his mind.

Time for new campaigns:
    Teletubbies for the shadow cabinet!
    McDonnell to have a new comedy show on CBeebies!
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    edited November 2015
    Not seen this mentioned before in discussions of the Canadian election.

Maybe this is how we should have decided GE2015. Ed "Mauler" Miliband vs Dave "Crusher" Cameron in a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlWiZMhaLE

Brazeau was the considerable favourite according to news articles but Trudeau really knocked him about.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. P, that's indicative of McDonnell's stupidity.

Incidentally, I can recommend Wild Swans by Jung Chang to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Not my standard fare by any stretch (covers the lives of three women in the same family during the rise of Communism), but it's a great read.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    Nothing really surprising in this but adds some numerical weight to the caution that we all feel about early US polls:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2015/11/24/early-state_polls_arent_predictive_--_yet__128828.html

Carson is IMO clearly not going to stay the course; Trump however...
  • Options
    Labour's front-bench score day-day this week = 0/3, one more test to go.

Strategic Defence Review response - x
    Trident - x
    Autumn statement - x
    Syria statement - to go
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Trident - x
    Autumn statement - x
    Syria statement - to go

Will anyone show up or will it be Jezza no-mates?
  • Options

Trident - x
    Autumn statement - x
    Syria statement - to go

@BBCLouise: John McDonnell denies he's having a bad week - says "I think it's going alright" says has got issues on the agenda @BBCr4today

@kevverage: Jeremy Corbyn - a man with such poor political judgement that he appoints a shadow chancellor with McDonnell's political judgement

@janemerrick23: Just think if Jeremy Corbyn had appointed the woman better qualified for the job of shadow chancellor, Angela Eagle, rather than his mate
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited November 2015

Trident - x
    Autumn statement - x
    Syria statement - to go

Will anyone show up or will it be Jezza no-mates?
    they need to bring on Vardy, he doesn't miss open goals...

labour front bench are rebrov and bobby sol.
  • Options
    Mr. Scrapheap:
    Strategic Defence Review response - quotes about abolishing the army (in August of this year) and disbanding MI5 (April) sunk Corbyn/McDonnell
    Trident - Corbyn lost this before it started
    Autumn statement - McDonnell quoted from Mao [who is next? Stalin?]
    Syria statement - if the top 2 can avoid quoting Stalin, they may just scrape a draw.

More seriously, the Russian plane going down will give an easy line for Labour. By not saying something utterly demented, they can improve dramatically.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

You mean "Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party", of course not to be confused with the "Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party (Monarchist)" :p
    I believe Cameron is a monarchist
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

My wording was deliberate.
  • Options
    @KateVotesLabour: Daughter of prisoners in Chinese labour camp forced to carry red book, 'I didn't get the joke.'

J McDonnell: 'She got the joke.' #r4today

@Claire_Phipps: Maosplaining https://t.co/gDaSU6dFfF
  • Options
    Dair said:

Not seen this mentioned before in discussions of the Canadian election.

Maybe this is how we should have decided GE2015. Ed "Mauler" Miliband vs Dave "Crusher" Cameron in a fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYlWiZMhaLE

Brazeau was the considerable favourite according to news articles but Trudeau really knocked him about.

Yes, Trudeau is tougher than he looks
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, be fair. It's a Long March from Labour HQ to the Commons.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,361

I've just gone from watching John McDonnell on the BBC News to the Teletubbies. It showed several things: Po has a better sense of the economy than McDonnnell, and the Teletubbies live in a more realistic world than the one that exists in his mind.

Time for new campaigns:
    Teletubbies for the shadow cabinet!
    McDonnell to have a new comedy show on CBeebies!

Its been a while since I had that particular delight but am I not right in recalling that the Teletubbies don't really speak? I mean in McDonnell's case one can immediately see the attraction of that but it is not really opposition is it? Mind you....
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, Darius III slew two men, I believe, in single combat. But during the Battle of Arbela, he fled.

There are different types of courage. Just because someone gets in the ring doesn't mean he'll be brave politically.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,046

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. P, that's indicative of McDonnell's stupidity.

Incidentally, I can recommend Wild Swans by Jung Chang to anyone who hasn't read it yet. Not my standard fare by any stretch (covers the lives of three women in the same family during the rise of Communism), but it's a great read.

Indded.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, Darius III slew two men, I believe, in single combat. But during the Battle of Arbela, he fled.

There are different types of courage. Just because someone gets in the ring doesn't mean he'll be brave politically.

Sounds like the WWE
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

The Mail aren't happpy

Osborne is still drier than Thatcher, see the comment from RBS economics up thread.

@BBCNormanS: Spending Review not the end of the austerity - Paul Johnson @TheIFS
This discussion has been closed.