Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » At least one contender is set to say the contest should be

Comments

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

The Carmichael trial is becoming truly bizarre.

The Defense is now trying to argue that overturning Carmichael's election would be terrible because it would compel candidates for election to tell the truth!

Great stuff.

Absolutely - politicians should still be free to lie about getting legal advice on EU membership.
    Not sure what a deliberate misinterpretation of political opponents whinging about Salmond does to help Carmichael. It's certainly not in the public perception and it is not featured in the coverage at all.
    Nor have I noticed anyone (except you) hanging on every detail of the Carmichael leak enquiry. It's hardly water cooler stuff.
    ... but it is guaranteed to be the top story on the news today and tomorrow.
    Must be a slow day in Balamory.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Dair said:

Dair said:

The Defense is now trying to argue that overturning Carmichael's election would be terrible because it would compel candidates for election to tell the truth!

Great stuff.

Absolutely - politicians should still be free to lie about getting legal advice on EU membership.
    Not sure what a deliberate misinterpretation of political opponents whinging about Salmond does to help Carmichael. It's certainly not in the public perception and it is not featured in the coverage at all.

A lie is a lie, whether it receives coverage or not. And if the law is blind it does not matter who tells the lie once a precedent has been set.

Not really because there is no established sequence of events. One side argues that the debate was merely about whether the ministerial code would allow such advice to be disclosed, the other argued that advice was being lied about and the only conclusion was a ruling where advice could be disclosed. End of story,

Meanwhile, Carmichael's defence is about whether his lying was private or public, political or personal. No argument that he is not a liar, that is accepted by his defence in whole. Whatever the outcome, he is Lying Politician Alistair Carmichael for ever more with no danger of defamation.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Great stuff.

A lie is a lie, whether it receives coverage or not. And if the law is blind it does not matter who tells the lie once a precedent has been set.

Not really because there is no established sequence of events. One side argues that the debate was merely about whether the ministerial code would allow such advice to be disclosed, the other argued that advice was being lied about and the only conclusion was a ruling where advice could be disclosed. End of story,

Meanwhile, Carmichael's defence is about whether his lying was private or public, political or personal. No argument that he is not a liar, that is accepted by his defence in whole. Whatever the outcome, he is Lying Politician Alistair Carmichael for ever more with no danger of defamation.

Unless the case against Carmichael is thrown out, the precedent will be that you can now go to court to argue the case. I note that Salmond has never instituted legal action against anyone who has accused him of lying about Scotland's automatic EU membership.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Nicola Sturgeon is fed up that ‘literally every time I’m on camera’ people discuss about her appearance. She’s so fed up, in fact, that she’s done a photo-shoot with Vogue to prove how ‘inured’ she has become. Yup, that’s right, Vogue, a magazine that is all about policy and principle; a magazine that has no truck with our image-obsessed age.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/is-nicola-sturgeon-trying-to-have-her-feminist-cake-and-eat-it-too/
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Telegraph poll on whether you would let a refugee in your house nip and tuck..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11848755/I-wouldnt-have-a-Syrian-refugee-in-my-house.html

The reaction to Julia Hartley-Brewer (particularly the nasty off-air personal insult designed to rile her up when going back on air, to make the other person far nicer, calmer and reasonable - a not uncommon tactic I'm sorry to say) is precisely why I detest this latest self-indulgent craze of (sorry Robert) public values-signalling. It is selfish, narcissistic, hypocritical and it often has a nasty tinge associated with it too. People who need to be able to hate others to validate their innate moral goodness.

It reached its peak with the Nelson Mandela tributes. It's approaching another peak now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222

Sheesh

and these people still try to brazen their way through on their "competence"

they couldn't organise a queue with one person in it.

The original headline was going to be "Labour show they can't organise a pregnancy on a council estate" or "Labour show they couldn't organise a farting contest in a baked bean factory"
    Stand by for weeks of "it's not fair" from the losers.

Labour seems to be populated by people with a mental age of six.
    I blame Mike. He's on holiday, when he asked me to edit PB in his absence he said nothing ever happens, you can put your feet up for three weeks.
    I'm waiting for the big HerMaj is longest reigning monarch thread. If you can't get song titles in to that thread you should retire and grow turnips for malc.
    Well as someone with Republican tendencies I'm not best qualified to write on that topic.

But I do like Her Majesty.
    Oh dear. Your positions - for a self-proclaimed Conservative - disappoint by the day!
    Being a Republican is based on sound Conservative principles.

That merit and hard work shall ensure you can get any job you so desire.
    As the Labour Party are now proving........ Oh dear!

The monarchy works. You need dull unimaginative and dutiful people to do what would drive anyone else potty i.e. to be / to be seen / to represent rather than to do or say anything.

On the whole the Windsors have been all those things. Even at their worst they are better at fulfilling the Ruritanian aspect of the constitution than ex-politicians, celebrities and other egomaniacs.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

TGOHF said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11848755/I-wouldnt-have-a-Syrian-refugee-in-my-house.html

The reaction to Julia Hartley-Brewer (particularly the nasty off-air personal insult designed to rile her up when going back on air, to make the other person far nicer, calmer and reasonable - a not uncommon tactic I'm sorry to say) is precisely why I detest this latest self-indulgent craze of (sorry Robert) public values-signalling. It is selfish, narcissistic, hypocritical and it often has a nasty tinge associated with it too. People who need to be able to hate others to validate their innate moral goodness.

It reached its peak with the Nelson Mandela tributes. It's approaching another peak now.
    Carried by the media,over the last week or so have lost any sort of common sense.
  • Options

Hungary Tells Germany To Stop Taking Refugees

The country's PM criticises Berlin for encouraging "millions" more to descend on Europe - and claims many have no case for asylum.

http://news.sky.com/story/1548073/hungary-tells-germany-to-stop-taking-refugees

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Sheesh

The original headline was going to be "Labour show they can't organise a pregnancy on a council estate" or "Labour show they couldn't organise a farting contest in a baked bean factory"

I blame Mike. He's on holiday, when he asked me to edit PB in his absence he said nothing ever happens, you can put your feet up for three weeks.
    I'm waiting for the big HerMaj is longest reigning monarch thread. If you can't get song titles in to that thread you should retire and grow turnips for malc.
    Well as someone with Republican tendencies I'm not best qualified to write on that topic.

Oh dear. Your positions - for a self-proclaimed Conservative - disappoint by the day!

The monarchy works. You need dull unimaginative and dutiful people to do what would drive anyone else potty i.e. to be / to be seen / to represent rather than to do or say anything.

On the whole the Windsors have been all those things. Even at their worst they are better at fulfilling the Ruritanian aspect of the constitution than ex-politicians, celebrities and other egomaniacs.
    Really? The Duke of Windsor was a Nazi sympathising racist.

We dodged a bullet with him because he thought with his pants.

Just imagine him as King during World War II. He would have appointed an appeaser as PM when Chamberlain stood down
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

The country's PM criticises Berlin for encouraging "millions" more to descend on Europe - and claims many have no case for asylum.

Hungary should sue Germany for expenses incurred by Angela's crazy offer.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Wow! The BBC really has lost the plot. Here, in an article about radicalism, by implication they equate, in degrees of radicalism, an Islamic cleric who espouses homophobia with someone who defends the right to exhibit cartoons about the prophet Mohammed.

Does al Beeb really think those two positions are comparable? Does al Beeb really think freedom of speech is 'radical'?

Wow, just wow!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34119412?SThisFB
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I had made the mistake, on national television, of failing to signal my virtue by opening up my home to a Syrian refugee family and applauding others who have made that generous offer.

This, after all, is now our national past-time, a new craze that has taken over from the ice bucket challenge as a simple and easy way to shout to the world “Look! I’m a better person than you are!”

But why? I didn’t offer my spare bedroom to refugees from Iraq of Afghanistan either. Or Somalia, or Southern Sudan, or Darfur, or Eritrea, or Libya, or Yemen, or Mali, or the Democratic Republic of Congo, or Rwanda, or Chechnya, or Myanmar, or Palestine, Lebanon or Colombia or Kashmir. Or anywhere else in the world where people are facing the horror and bloodshed of war.
    TGOHF said:

• Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@JEO: there is a fundamental difference between the Netherlands and Germany. To become a Dutch citizen, residency is the dominant requirement. (See https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/residence-wizard/dutch-citizenship/naturalisation: there is no need to have a job for example.)

In Germany, it is much more onerous. In particular, you need to have demonstrated that you will not be living off the state. (Compare and contrast with the UK, where - once you have your five years of residency - then so long as you can pass the exam, you're basically home free.)

It is highly likely that the Somalians you reference did not have jobs in the Netherlands. They certainly did not need them to become Dutch citizens.

There are therefore three important differences: Firstly, Syrians in Germany will have been there much longer than Somalis in the Netherlands; Secondly, the Syrians in Germany will need to have been almost continually employed for the last eight years, and therefore are much more likely to have put down roots; Thirdly, there was a very large Somalian population in the UK, and much more generous benefits there than in the Netherlands.

I would be interested to see how many of the 30,000 or so Turks that took German citizenship last year headed off to the UK. My guess would be bugger all.

Why should the Syrians in Germany be different to the Turks?

Let's hope that Merkel doesn't make a sudden policy u-turn when it comes to granting passports or EU residence permits to "Syrian refugees" when she finds that Germany has attracted more migrants than it can cope with. Maybe it takes 8 years at the moment with the need to meet the conditions you describe... will that still be the case next year? (Or even next week, the way things seem to be going)?

• Options

I'm yet to be convinced that this isn't just The Mail stirring it. If it does happen - and there's good reason for it - then they don't need the evidence, and if it doesn't, then they can always claim that the anonymous contender must have thought twice.

I expect that, like many such stories, it's based on a real conversation between the reporter and someone in Labour, which has been somewhat over-enthusiastically interpreted by the reporter to get a story. I'm sure that the article is right that there is anger at the shambles of getting ballot papers out (it's not as though the party hasn't had plenty of time!), and it's very likely that some comment along the lines of 'maybe we should get the deadline extended or something' was made by someone in one of the leadership teams. It won't come to anything.
    I'd agree with that analysis.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    Plato said:

I had made the mistake, on national television, of failing to signal my virtue by opening up my home to a Syrian refugee family and applauding others who have made that generous offer.

This, after all, is now our national past-time, a new craze that has taken over from the ice bucket challenge as a simple and easy way to shout to the world “Look! I’m a better person than you are!”

But why? I didn’t offer my spare bedroom to refugees from Iraq of Afghanistan either. Or Somalia, or Southern Sudan, or Darfur, or Eritrea, or Libya, or Yemen, or Mali, or the Democratic Republic of Congo, or Rwanda, or Chechnya, or Myanmar, or Palestine, Lebanon or Colombia or Kashmir. Or anywhere else in the world where people are facing the horror and bloodshed of war.
    TGOHF said:

Dead baby advertising hadn't been invented back then
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    LucyJones said:

rcs1000 said:

@JEO: there is a fundamental difference between the Netherlands and Germany. To become a Dutch citizen, residency is the dominant requirement. (See https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/residence-wizard/dutch-citizenship/naturalisation: there is no need to have a job for example.)

In Germany, it is much more onerous. In particular, you need to have demonstrated that you will not be living off the state. (Compare and contrast with the UK, where - once you have your five years of residency - then so long as you can pass the exam, you're basically home free.)

It is highly likely that the Somalians you reference did not have jobs in the Netherlands. They certainly did not need them to become Dutch citizens.

There are therefore three important differences: Firstly, Syrians in Germany will have been there much longer than Somalis in the Netherlands; Secondly, the Syrians in Germany will need to have been almost continually employed for the last eight years, and therefore are much more likely to have put down roots; Thirdly, there was a very large Somalian population in the UK, and much more generous benefits there than in the Netherlands.

I would be interested to see how many of the 30,000 or so Turks that took German citizenship last year headed off to the UK. My guess would be bugger all.

Why should the Syrians in Germany be different to the Turks?

Let's hope that Merkel doesn't make a sudden policy u-turn when it comes to granting passports or EU residence permitsto "Syrian refugees" when she finds that Germany has attracted more migrants than it can cope with.

Fair point :-)

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited September 2015
    TGOHF

When I saw the headline "I wouldn't have a Syrian refugee in my house; That doesn't make me awful" in the Telegraph I was expecting something ironic or even inappropriate but amusing.......

It just never dawned on me that the notoriously horrible Julia Hartley-Brewer had been given a guest slot at the Telegraph after her years at the Sunday Express......

Moving on.....it's interesting how people here (France) see Merkel as the hero of the hour. By contrast Cameron is invisible. The bloated self importance of the British really ought to be put into context.

Listening to radio 4 or 5 and you'd think Osborne and Cameron were making all the running over the Syrian crisis. Unfortunately no one elsewhere seems to have even heard of them

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Cyclefree said:

Sheesh

Just imagine him as King during World War II. He would have appointed an appeaser as PM when Chamberlain stood down
    Baldwin manipulated him into Wallis Simpson. They were looking for a way to get rid of him
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sheesh

We certainly did dodge a bullet with him. Though I doubt he would have had the power to choose a PM at will, as you suggest.

But then look at who the Labour party are, apparently, about to elect: a terrorist sympathising politician who cares nothing about the anti-Semitic character of his many "friends". Not so different in his sympathies frankly from the Duke of Windsor and probably harder to get rid of.

• Options

The Labour Party appears incapable of running the Labour Party.

Quite, and it's a strong argument in favour of Corbyn - clearly the party establishment has become dysfunctional and needs someone to shake things up.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Best summation of the Carmichael trial so far.

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/640872094486630400
  • Options
    Roger said:

TGOHF

When I saw the headline "I wouldn't have a Syrian refugee in my house; That doesn't make me awful" in the Telegraph I was expecting something ironic or even inappropriate but amusing

It just never dawned on me that the notoriously horrible Julia Hartley-Brewer had been given a guest slot at the Telegraph after her years at the Sunday Express.

Moving on....

Lets not - your argument is that the article is false because she is "horrible".

Such a closed mind you have Roger.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Roger..Got a surprise for you.. no one in the UK actually gives a shit what the folk in France think about Cameron and Osborne..
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015
    "TheScreamingEagles" said
    'I'm a fiscally dry as the Sahara Tory, soaking wet socially liberal Tory.
    I'm closer to you on Defence than most (whilst disagreeing about a replacement for Trident, as I want that money spent on conventional forces which have been shamefully scaled back)'

The cost of a few modern fighter planes is tremendously expensive. Take F35 development costs. These costs are spread over many years. So is Trident. The extra we would get for not having Trident would be relatively small
    ''The current annual spend on Trident is equivalent to less than 1 per cent of current health and education expenditure, this figure will be roughly the same for the replacement.''
    ''When the initial procurement costs are added on, the total programme cost will an estimated £75 billion however, £60 billion of this figure, as mentioned earlier, is spread over the lifetime of the vessels.''
    https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/how-much-will-replacing-trident-cost-us/
  • Options
    Dair said:

Maybe, but somehow I don't think Scottish people will be happy with a one-party state for that much longer.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Just like Caroline Flint - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1019770/Hello-boys-Meet-Caroline-Flint-flirtatious-MP-whos-turned-Downing-Street-catwalk.html
    Scott_P said:

Nicola Sturgeon is fed up that ‘literally every time I’m on camera’ people discuss about her appearance. She’s so fed up, in fact, that she’s done a photo-shoot with Vogue to prove how ‘inured’ she has become. Yup, that’s right, Vogue, a magazine that is all about policy and principle; a magazine that has no truck with our image-obsessed age.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/is-nicola-sturgeon-trying-to-have-her-feminist-cake-and-eat-it-too/

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    rcs1000,

1. You do not need to have been employed continuously for eight years in Germany. You merely have to show, at the point of application "you have independent means of securing a living (including for family members entitled to maintenance) without resorting to welfare payments and unemployment benefit."

http://www.bamf.de/EN/Einbuergerung/InDeutschland/indeutschland-node.html

2. The Syrians will not have been in Germany much longer than the Dutch Somalis. Five years versus eight years is not a huge difference in the scheme of integration. And even if we assume it did make a big difference, and they come here at only half the rate of the Dutch Somalis, that would still be 160k for just those turning up this year.

3. Benefits was not a driver of people deciding to move to the UK via another EU country. See this Guardian article, that mentions many of the Africans that come to the UK came from places like Sweden and Denmark, with higher welfare than we have. They also mention a lot of Nigerians coming here from... Germany. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/28/british-dream-europe-african-citizens

4. Turks in Germany have often been there for many decades, with family roots put down in the country in the 1950s during guest worker programs. If you believe the five vs eight year difference is a big one, it would be dwarfed by the 30+ years for Turks than the 8 years for Syrians. But anyway, we do not have data, so you are asking me to explain a difference we do not know exists.

5. The prior Somali population of the UK was not that well established, as they were taken in at the same time the Dutch first took them in. Yet it accelerated very quickly from a low base, as Syrians would do. And while we do not have many Syrians yet in the UK, we do have a large Arab population, that they would be culturally similar to.

6. I too would like to see better data on this. It would be nice if the government did some analysis so we can have a more accurate estimation of how many German refugees we will get second hand. Sadly, it seems the government is asleep at the wheel. Perhaps some enterprising MP could ask on Wednesday?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    taffys said:

''Well, i suspected it but even I was surprised to hear how blunt those exchanges had been''.

At some juncture next year, there may be a poll that shows a substantial BOO lead.

At that point, we may find out what our continental cousins really think of us. Cameron may be screaming at them to Offer Something to make us stay in.

Or..he may become as fed up as many hitherto BOI-ers and say sod it.

I mean these last few weeks have almost been designed to tip the balance and public opinion against staying in. Cam may fear for his legacy but I don't think "The PM who lead the UK to freedom" is as worrying as "The PM who lost The Union" and he won that one.
  • Options

Palin is back on form:

"I'd rather have a president who is tough and puts America first than can win a game of Trivial Pursuit."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/palin-eyes-energy-secretary-job-in-a-trump-administration-213371#ixzz3l3SuDtzS

That actually makes sense. Not in the same league as her insistence that immigrants must learn to speak 'American'
    http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-09-06/sarah-palin-says-immigrants-to-u-s-must-speak-american-
  • Options
    Roger said:

TGOHF

When I saw the headline "I wouldn't have a Syrian refugee in my house; That doesn't make me awful" in the Telegraph I was expecting something ironic or even inappropriate but amusing.......

It just never dawned on me that the notoriously horrible Julia Hartley-Brewer had been given a guest slot at the Telegraph after her years at the Sunday Express......

Moving on.....it's interesting how people here (France) see Merkel as the hero of the hour. By contrast Cameron is invisible. The bloated self importance of the British really ought to be put into context.

Listening to radio 4 or 5 and you'd think Osborne and Cameron were making all the running over the Syrian crisis. Unfortunately no one elsewhere seems to have even heard of them

How many migrants are you prepared to accommodate Roger? We're all ears.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sheesh

It's more likely that we'd have had another constitutional crisis. In a time of war that could have led to a vacant throne, possibly even ending in an actual Republic during the first post-war Labour government.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Palin is back on form:

"I'd rather have a president who is tough and puts America first than can win a game of Trivial Pursuit."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/09/palin-eyes-energy-secretary-job-in-a-trump-administration-213371#ixzz3l3SuDtzS

That actually makes sense. Not in the same league as her insistence that immigrants must learn to speak 'American'
    http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-09-06/sarah-palin-says-immigrants-to-u-s-must-speak-american-
    Yes, far too many of them just speak Mexican.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited September 2015
    I do love the "1% of current health and education expenditure" line, largely because we spend a hell of a lot on health and education - something like 11-12% of GDP. It's a shamelessly transparent way of making what is undoubtedly a lot of money sound less than it is.
  • Options
    TGOHF

"Lets not - your argument is that the article is false because she is "horrible".

Wrong. Certain things are so lacking in sensitivity no decent person or newspaper would say them. The Telegraph for all it's bias isn't usually one of them. I was genuinely surprised that such a headline appeared-until I saw the Hartley-Brewer byline.

The discussion about refugees is another matter altogether
  • Options

It's hard to see how long Schengen can survive for. Hungary's new fence may help a bit in the short term but the refugees will probably find another way (perhaps crossing from Greece to Italy by ferry).

I note that Romania and Bulgaria are legally obliged to join - I expect they will put it off as long as possible.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    isam said:

The sad demise of the comma continues

He will be missed.

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

The exchanges between Cameron and Merkel as described by Anthony Seldon are really interesting.

I think it's safe to say that there will be nothing on offer to keep the UK in the EU.

Is that news? Well, i suspected it but even I was surprised to hear how blunt those exchanges had been.

I do wonder how Cameron will play this if he has zilch all to play with next year. Perhaps a very luke warm endorsement of the proposals by a sitting PM, with a tacit acceptance that cabinet colleagues can campaign how they like whilst he takes a back seat, might be enough for some floating voters to question it.

I don't really expect us to leave even if we get a 'leave'.
    Although, if you are in a position where you know the other side won't compromise an inch it makes sense to take a very moderate position.

Then when it doesn't work you can regretfully say how reasonable you were, but [Merkel] was just intransigent so you have to recommend out.
    From the British perspective, Cameron has been very pragmatic and reasonable. From the European, he's acted like a total arsehole.

To be honest, that fact alone is telling enough to Leave.
    Indeed. They've agreed a position, and significant numbers here didn't agree and never said beforehand they would, but because they've made up their minds we are, no doubt in this instance like in the past, treated as though not agreeing to something others agreed is being a nuisance.
  • Options
    Watford30.. Roger and Bono are still trying to sort that one out...MORE BOLLY..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    watford30 said:

Roger said:

TGOHF

Yesterday's poll gives 27% for Marine Le Pen, 25% for Nicolas Sarkozy, and 3% for an independent right winger. I doubt if any of those voters see Markel as "the hero of the hour" or want to emulate her.
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

I do love the "1% of current health and education expenditure" line, largely because we spend a hell of a lot on health and education - something like 11-12% of GDP. It's a shamelessly transparent way of making a lot of money sound like less than it is.

No, it's a sensible way of putting it into context, since many people on the left seem to think that by cancelling Trident there would be a large pot of money freed up for, you know, health and education. Yes it's a lot of money, but it's not enough to be a big factor in discussions about the total UK budget.
  • Options

Roger..Got a surprise for you.. no one in the UK actually gives a shit what the folk in France think about Cameron and Osborne..

Don't you just love lefties who hate their own country so much?
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Watford30.. Roger and Bono are still trying to sort that one out...MORE BOLLY..

Roger's all mouth, and no trousers. I wonder if he's related to Cooper?
  • Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

In terms of saving lives, I'm sure you'd do a lot more good by donating to an aid agency that was working in the Middle East, rather than by offering to house an asylum seeker. Every pound that's spent there will go a lot further than it would here, And, IMHO, saving lives is a good deal more important than offering a fortunate minority a Western standard of living.
  • Options
    Whether they admit it or not, every politician in Scotland will be hoping that the Carmichael case is thrown out.

Will the decision create UK precedent?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, didn't have you down as a republican.

Particularly given your view on Caesar.

I've always had latent republican tendencies.

But rereading on the English Civil War and the Divine Rights of Kings is utter bollocks.

We need a elected Head of State.
    Not when the Head of State has no real power we dont. I've never understood the purpose of an elected Head of State with only ceremonial power, when they can't act as a figurehead as they are explicitly identified most of the time with one political party. I guess other countries manage it, Ireland and India for two, but if you are going to elect someone, I feel like they should have more than ceremonial power. If they aren't, it doesn't really matter that much if they are hereditary.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Palin is back on form:

Yes, far too many of them just speak Mexican.
    I hear some speak Guatamalan and a few Brazilian.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. kle4, indeed.

Modernising for the sake of modernising leads to a Speaker who looks like a supply teacher. Change for the sake of change leads to buggered up devolution.

Huzzah for the monarchy!

Mr. Vale2, depends how long the migrant crisis lasts and how bad it gets. You may very well be right.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

The exchanges between Cameron and Merkel as described by Anthony Seldon are really interesting.

I think it's safe to say that there will be nothing on offer to keep the UK in the EU.

I rather wish that Cameron had replied to Merkel's reputed comments about Britain being a "problem child" that, if there was one country in Europe which had been, pretty consistently, a "problem" it was hers. And that there were British war cemeteries all over Europe testifying to that fact.

No country has done more to help Europe out of the messes it has got itself into than Britain.

It's human nature to resent and dislike the people who've done you a good turn.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    edited September 2015
    Sean_F said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

TGOHF

Yesterday's poll gives 27% for Marine Le Pen, 25% for Nicolas Sarkozy, and 3% for an independent right winger. I doubt if any of those voters see Markel as "the hero of the hour" or want to emulate her.
    Marine Le Pen has been in the 25-32% range for the last two years. In fact, in about 95% of polls since April 2013, she has been in the lead for the first round.

She still fails badly to pick up transfer votes, however. In the second round, she loses by 20% to Sarkozy, and by 34% to Juppe.

However, she might be able to edge out Hollande if she were to meet him in the second round. (Against other PS candidates, she's 10-20% behind.)

EDIT: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_French_presidential_election,_2017
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Thomas Nashe Quite a few speak English..because they come from England.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    TGOHF said:

I believe that the comment was made at one of the Edinburgh Fringe shows: What about all this rubbish about stopping people in Calais entering the UK not being Racist. If a flotilla of Norwegian totty of both sexes was making it's way down the channel, how many people would suddenly discover a spare room or two?

Perhaps an element of truth?
  • Options

Dair said:

Maybe, but somehow I don't think Scottish people will be happy with a one-party state for that much longer.
    Probably not but there's no reason for the Lib Dems to be part of any replacement.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sheesh

Not a problem - if we ever get into a situation like that again, or some other issue where the monarch is not able to be a bland cipher and actually impacts upon matters, expect to see mass conversion to republicanism among the public and politicians very quickly indeed. There is lots of support for the monarchy, including me, but if it ever becomes a genuine, in your face problem, it will evaporate fast I expect.
  • Options
    Doddy

"Roger..Got a surprise for you.. no one in the UK actually gives a shit what the folk in France think about Cameron and Osborne.."

That's lucky
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @watford30

'Roger's all mouth, and no trousers. I wonder if he's related to Cooper?'

I thought he was staying in France so he could let his second home in Old Compton street be used by Syrian refugees.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

Is that news? Well, i suspected it but even I was surprised to hear how blunt those exchanges had been.

I do wonder how Cameron will play this if he has zilch all to play with next year. Perhaps a very luke warm endorsement of the proposals by a sitting PM, with a tacit acceptance that cabinet colleagues can campaign how they like whilst he takes a back seat, might be enough for some floating voters to question it.

Although, if you are in a position where you know the other side won't compromise an inch it makes sense to take a very moderate position.

Then when it doesn't work you can regretfully say how reasonable you were, but [Merkel] was just intransigent so you have to recommend out.
    That only works if the other side doesn't then compromise, otherwise you end up having asked for virtually nothing and having got it.

But the way things are heading, Cameron is going to have to recommend an Out.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, that's confusing the institution with the individual.

There's always the Francis Urquhart solution.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    What a shambles the Labour Party is. Screwed up the country (at least twice) and now unable to conduct a simple contest for their next Leader.

I finally decided today to exercise my right, as a committed Tory voter with £3 to spare and a desire for a laugh, to vote for Mr Corbyn.

I went Corbyn 1, Burnham 2 (I think he's more unelectable than Corbyn TBH), Kendall 3, Balls 4. (On the basis Yvette last as she's the one likely to get Labour highest in the polls). Applying the same principles, in the Deputy Contest I went Watson, Eagle, Bradshaw, Flint, Creasey.

Such fun... :-)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

I rather wish that Cameron had replied to Merkel's reputed comments about Britain being a "problem child" that, if there was one country in Europe which had been, pretty consistently, a "problem" it was hers. And that there were British war cemeteries all over Europe testifying to that fact.

No country has done more to help Europe out of the messes it has got itself into than Britain.

I saw an episode of the TV programme "Madam Secretary" based on the Greek financial crisis in which the portrayal of the German Chancellor, an icy Brunhilde clearly based on Merkel, was so arrogant and superior I thought it was stupid. Maybe it wasn't. She certainly seems to be feeling her oats and getting a bit ahead of herself.

Which makes me think, when it comes to the EU referendum, we should be voting on not where we should like the EU to go, or where it currently is, but what we realistically think it will evolve into. Based on Merkel's current behaviour, that it a scary place that I, for one, want no part of.
  • Options
    Roger not so much lucky as common sense..The French did elect Hollande..says it all really.. now how many refugees are you and old Bony taking in..
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, that's the thing that confounds me. I could not previously see Cameron recommending Out. And I'm having difficulty seeing it now. But Merkel's behaviour may push him that way. I'd still be flabbergasted if he recommended Out.
  • Options
    On helping out abroad personally, I've always liked this comedy sketch on so called 'voluntourism' and how it can be more about the person than the cause, although it's not really applicable to recent events.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/5231-Voluntourism
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

Charles said:

Sean_F said:

That only works if the other side doesn't then compromise, otherwise you end up having asked for virtually nothing and having got it.

But the way things are heading, Cameron is going to have to recommend an Out.
    Could you see yourself voting that way, David?
  • Options

What a shambles the Labour Party is. Screwed up the country (at least twice) and now unable to conduct a simple contest for their next Leader.

I finally decided today to exercise my right, as a committed Tory voter with £3 to spare and a desire for a laugh, to vote for Mr Corbyn.

I went Corbyn 1, Burnham 2 (I think he's more unelectable than Corbyn TBH), Kendall 3, Balls 4. (On the basis Yvette last as she's the one likely to get Labour highest in the polls). Applying the same principles, in the Deputy Contest I went Watson, Eagle, Bradshaw, Flint, Creasey.

You will make Putin, Adams, Hamas, Hezbollah et al very happy. Many of this country's friends will be less impressed. Let's hope that your vote and all the others Corbyn gets do not cause the UK any problems.

• Options
    kle4 said:

On helping out abroad personally, I've always liked this comedy sketch on so called 'voluntourism' and how it can be more about the person than the cause, although it's not really applicable to recent events.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/5231-Voluntourism

Just like most criticism says more about the person making the critique than the subject of it.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Wow! The BBC really has lost the plot. Here, in an article about radicalism, by implication they equate, in degrees of radicalism, an Islamic cleric who espouses homophobia with someone who defends the right to exhibit cartoons about the prophet Mohammed.

Does al Beeb really think those two positions are comparable? Does al Beeb really think freedom of speech is 'radical'?

Wow, just wow!

I am not at all surprised. After all, look at the number of people - writers even, like Peter Carey - who objected to PEN giving an award to Charlie Hebdo. Look at the reaction of some people to the fatwa on Salman Rushdie all those years ago: all those people like Roy Hattersley and Germaine Greer and others who thought it was his fault that he'd been singled out. That he should have been more sensitive. The criticisms made then were the same as the criticisms made this year of Charlie Hebdo. And the same criticisms were made at the time of the Danish cartoons and when the Pope mentioned the criticisms made in earlier centuries of Islam's violent characteristics and are made every time anyone ever dares say anything that some trigger happy cry-baby bully (whether of the Islamic variety or otherwise) does not like.

Look at the disgracefully cringing reaction of Jack Straw to the Danish cartoons.

Look at Corbyn: signing an EDM condemning the murders on the one hand but supporting the Islamic Human Rights Commission which condemned Charlie Hebdo on the other.

Look at Leveson - testily arguing that the did not need to be told the value of free speech when he clearly did - and all those politicians jumping on that bandwagon.

There are not enough people in public life who do defend free speech. Not enough who understand why it matters, why it is the foundation stone of all our other freedoms because without the freedom to think and say what we want we cannot have any intellectual, scientific, literary or other development at all - and that all such developments have happened because people did think for themselves and say what they thought and saw, in the teeth of those who told them "You can't think that. You can't say that."

And far too many people willing to be cowed by violence or threats of it or willing to use other people's violence to get curbs on free speech which can then be used to protect them from criticism.

• Options
    Fair play to Labour. Only four months ago they were telling us with a straight face that they could run the economy. Some people actually believed them. It was breathtaking cheek. It is blindingly obvious that they cannot even run an internal election. How does a professiona political party descend into incompetence so fast? The Corbyn delusions mark another step on the retreat from reality. I can scarcely believe what I am watching in a party I once supported and worked for.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

You will make Putin, Adams, Hamas, Hezbollah et al very happy. Many of this country's friends will be less impressed. Let's hope that your vote and all the others Corbyn gets do not cause the UK any problems.

Doubt it. But if so, it will be Ed Miliband's fault not mine.

And that makes me even happier....
  • Options
    Mr. T/Miss Cyclefree, it's bloody obscene.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403

Mr. Herdson, that's the thing that confounds me. I could not previously see Cameron recommending Out. And I'm having difficulty seeing it now. But Merkel's behaviour may push him that way. I'd still be flabbergasted if he recommended Out.

It will be more in sorrow than anger and will be signalled well in advance and loudly in the corridors of Brussels and then he will see how/if that changes anything.

He will of course have to be careful how exactly he recommends Out, probably an entirely deniable "as things stand if if nothing changes, I very much regret..." and then who knows, something might change.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TelePolitics: Thousands of Labour leadership ballots to be reissued http://t.co/YEmo2BNrop
  • Options

If all reasonable efforts had been made, and he could prove he did he best but the EU blocked him, and then he actually put down his own sensible proposals for a managed exit, and recommended them, and then 'won' the vote he'd become a hero to the bulk of the Tory party. He'd go down in history as one of the greatest ever Conservative leaders, and he could get that all through just before he resigned.

That must be tempting.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Mr. kle4, that's confusing the institution with the individual.

There's always the Francis Urquhart solution.

Can't see the institution lasting much beyond such a thing, given what our expectations of it now are, should the cause be so blatant as that of Mr Urquhart.
    MTimT said:

Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Sean_F said:

Which makes me think, when it comes to the EU referendum, we should be voting on not where we should like the EU to go, or where it currently is, but what we realistically think it will evolve into. Based on Merkel's current behaviour, that it a scary place that I, for one, want no part of.
    I don't know about scary, but it's not where i want to me. As far as I can tell the German position is that as long as there is broad consensus, then anyone questioning it can STFU. Since they can usually agree something with France then a big chunk of that consensus is already formed. Add in those inclined to follow the EU line all things, some smaller nations who agree with the Franco-German position naturally and those who decide to go along for the sake of unity to what is fast becoming the consensus option simply because of the Franco-German dominance, and in effect the Germans believe if they support something then Europe does as well, or will do in the end.

But now an emergency has come up, and so I cannot follow on that fascinating debate. Farewell
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    Julia Hartley-Brewer in the Telegraph:

"I will not be offering my home to a Syrian refugee family.

You probably think that makes me a terrible person. Indeed the man I was sitting next to on a TV news programme yesterday definitely thought so.

After an on-air discussion about how Britain should deal with the Syrian refugee crisis, as soon as the cameras were switched off, he turned to me and said: “I think you are a f–––ing awful person.”

He had, up until that moment, been quite nice. And, as soon as the cameras went back on, he was so again. So what had I done to prompt his extraordinary outburst?

I had made the mistake, on national television, of failing to signal my virtue by opening up my home to a Syrian refugee family and applauding others who have made that generous offer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11848755/I-wouldnt-have-a-Syrian-refugee-in-my-house.-That-doesnt-make-me-evil.html
  • Options

Nope: everyone who voted for Corbyn for whatever reason - knowing all about his record of sharing platforms with bigots, racists, anti-semites and people who revel in the death of British citizens - are responsible for the outcome and all of the consequences.

Ed made me do it is not really going to wash.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

You probably think that makes me a terrible person. Indeed the man I was sitting next to on a TV news programme yesterday definitely thought so.

After an on-air discussion about how Britain should deal with the Syrian refugee crisis, as soon as the cameras were switched off, he turned to me and said: “I think you are a f–––ing awful person.”

He had, up until that moment, been quite nice. And, as soon as the cameras went back on, he was so again. So what had I done to prompt his extraordinary outburst?

I had made the mistake, on national television, of failing to signal my virtue by opening up my home to a Syrian refugee family and applauding others who have made that generous offer."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11848755/I-wouldnt-have-a-Syrian-refugee-in-my-house.-That-doesnt-make-me-evil.html

Will Dave be opening up the Witney countryside to refugee settlement?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Thousands of Labour leadership ballots to be reissued http://t.co/YEmo2BNrop

Missing ballot papers? Red faces all round.

The reputation of the ERS will be tarnished, if they're not careful.
  • Options
    Nate Silver talking a lot of sense once again about the status and value of polling in the US nomination races:
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/keep-calm-and-ignore-the-2016-game-changers/

And more of the drip, drip, drip for Hillary:
    http://nypost.com/2015/09/06/hillary-clinton-continues-to-lose-ground-in-democratic-race/

Despite the sources (Murdoch's right wing NY rag), this article has three significant items:
    1. Tom Brokaw is opening critical of Hillary
    2. Hillary is below 40% in both Iowa and New Hampshire
    3. Biden does better than Hillary in the head to head with Trump.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Presumably she was not appearing on the BBC as that would have been all over the article.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Bob_Sykes

'I finally decided today to exercise my right, as a committed Tory voter with £3 to spare and a desire for a laugh, to vote for Mr Corbyn.'

I couldn't resist either and did Corbyn with Billy Bunter as deputy,no second ,third preferences. Surely the most voter repellent combination.
  • Options

I disagree strongly. All those who vote for Corbyn own the resultant mess. And there will be a mess - whether he wins or not. Even if he loses we will have seen that a significant part of the Labour party has no problems with having as their leader a person with views as repellent as Corbyn's. That is a lesson which bodes ill for those of us who hope that such views could be cast out to the fascist fringes where they belong not circulating round the main opposition party.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894

AndyJS said:

Do we know who the man is that was swearing at Ms. Hartley-Brewer?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Duh... ! No!
    Is this the last sarcastic point we can expect from you. The list seems endless these days.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited September 2015

It's hard to see how long Schengen can survive for. Hungary's new fence may help a bit in the short term but the refugees will probably find another way (perhaps crossing from Greece to Italy by ferry).

I note that Romania and Bulgaria are legally obliged to join - I expect they will put it off as long as possible.
    Hungary's fence is with Serbia - who are outside the EU AND Schengen.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Map_of_the_Schengen_Area.svg/2000px-Map_of_the_Schengen_Area.svg.png
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Wow, just wow!

I am not at all surprised. After all, look at the number of people - writers even, like Peter Carey - who objected to PEN giving an award to Charlie Hebdo. Look at the reaction of some people to the fatwa on Salman Rushdie all those years ago: all those people like Roy Hattersley and Germaine Greer and others who thought it was his fault that he'd been singled out. That he should have been more sensitive. The criticisms made then were the same as the criticisms made this year of Charlie Hebdo. And the same criticisms were made at the time of the Danish cartoons and when the Pope mentioned the criticisms made in earlier centuries of Islam's violent characteristics and are made every time anyone ever dares say anything that some trigger happy cry-baby bully (whether of the Islamic variety or otherwise) does not like.

Look at the disgracefully cringing reaction of Jack Straw to the Danish cartoons.

Look at Corbyn: signing an EDM condemning the murders on the one hand but supporting the Islamic Human Rights Commission which condemned Charlie Hebdo on the other.

Look at Leveson - testily arguing that the did not need to be told the value of free speech when he clearly did - and all those politicians jumping on that bandwagon.

There are not enough people in public life who do defend free speech. Not enough who understand why it matters, why it is the foundation stone of all our other freedoms because without the freedom to think and say what we want we cannot have any intellectual, scientific, literary or other development at all - and that all such developments have happened because people did think for themselves and say what they thought and saw, in the teeth of those who told them "You can't think that. You can't say that."

And far too many people willing to be cowed by violence or threats of it or willing to use other people's violence to get curbs on free speech which can then be used to protect them from criticism.

Wonderfully put.
  • Options

If all reasonable efforts had been made, and he could prove he did he best but the EU blocked him, and then he actually put down his own sensible proposals for a managed exit, and recommended them, and then 'won' the vote he'd become a hero to the bulk of the Tory party. He'd go down in history as one of the greatest ever Conservative leaders, and he could get that all through just before he resigned.

That must be tempting.
    History is full of such ironies.

I agree, if the UK voted to leave the EU under Cameron, he likely would be regarded as a truly great Conservative leader.
  • Options
    Whilst I'm glad that video's been shared (free speech as a radical idea!), it's annoyed me so much it's put me off work.

Bah.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Duh... ! No!
    Is this the last sarcastic point we can expect from you. The list seems endless these days.
    Flightpath's sarcasm duly noted :lol:
  • Options
    Doddy

"The French did elect Hollande..says it all really.. now how many refugees are you and old Bony taking in.. "

I went to a photographic festival in Arles at the week-end and one of the exhibitions was devoted to tax avoidance. Not a particularly photogenic subject you might think.

..........Bono set up a company in Amsterdam to avoid the tax on $190,000,000 royalties. Holland is the only country where this is possible. The exhibit was a snap of his very small office there.

(Gives a whole new meaning to pro bono.....)

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2015/jun/19/inside-tax-havens-in-pictures
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, that's rather good.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I disagree strongly. All those who vote for Corbyn own the resultant mess. And there will be a mess - whether he wins or not. Even if he loses we will have seen that a significant part of the Labour party has no problems with having as their leader a person with views as repellent as Corbyn's. That is a lesson which bodes ill for those of us who hope that such views could be cast out to the fascist fringes where they belong not circulating round the main opposition party.

Spot on. I can understand the temptation to give Labour a kicking - and the party certainly deserves it - but voting for Corbyn, for whatever reason, puts an anti-capitalist, anti-Western, class warrior at the helm of a party that got over nine million votes in May. That will register abroad and will have consequences.

• Options
    Mr. Observer, that's the thing. Labour can be given a kicking by voting for Burnham.

I don't have a vote [never applied for one] but wouldn't back Corbyn. He's beyond the pale.
  • Options

Whilst I'm glad that video's been shared (free speech as a radical idea!), it's annoyed me so much it's put me off work.

Bah.

Sorry! ;)
  • Options

Bah.

This shall stop your annoyance, it amused me no end.

People using their freedom of speech to protest against freedom of speech outside Downing Street.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9V1H0dIcAA7wZS.jpg
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That must be tempting.

I agree, if the UK voted to leave the EU under Cameron, he likely would be regarded as a truly great Conservative leader.
    But he'd regard himself as a failure.

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, quite the reverse, unfortunately.

Mr. T, I'd rather be angry and informed than blissfully ignorant.

Also, it's given me an idea for a potential new blog post.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Were they previously returned with Non Corbyn votes on them ?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Spot on. I can understand the temptation to give Labour a kicking - and the party certainly deserves it - but voting for Corbyn, for whatever reason, puts an anti-capitalist, anti-Western, class warrior at the helm of a party that got over nine million votes in May. That will register abroad and will have consequences.

And, while the prospect is a remote one, there's always the possibility that a Corbyn-led party could win enough seats to form a coalition government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

That must be tempting.

Of course, one of his closest aides and advisors - Steve Hilton - wanted and expected exactly this to happen.

I honestly don't know what Cameron will do. I keep trying to forget his EU cufflinks.