Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Podcast discussion on general election betting between Mike

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

the ramping suggests big Labour lead

Maybe it would finaly put to bed that argument that good-for-blue YouGovs are announced early on Twitter, while good-for-red are not.
    So much for that and so much for Scott's attempt to play the expectations game
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    FPT
    Omnium said:

Just looking at the video of the Japanese MagLev train. I know there are all sorts of good reasons why not, but I'd much prefer HS2 to be exploring new technology like that. Even better would be the evacuated tube ideas of RM Salter. (http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/papers/2008/P4874.pdf)

I know the enthusiasm for madcap ideas went out in the 70s, but for something so fundamental as trains I'd be happy to see a substantial national spend if it was a real game-changing idea.

Yes. A hundred times yes.

There are issues that others are discovering with Maglev, and the latest incarnation of a partially evacuated tube is Elon Musk's (Tesla, SpaceX) Hyperloop system intended to go from San Fran to LA, but the point is that we British are supposed to be good at this stuff.

< rant >
    We have some of the best engineers and aerodynamicists in the world here working for the likes of BAE, Airbus, RR and the F1 teams; what happened to the idea that we are innovators and world leaders in new technology?? Does everyone forget that we made Concorde, the hovercraft, cars like the E-Type and more recently the McLaren F1 and P1???
    These things require vision and leadership from the top to get right, but there's no technological reason why we can't be the world's best at new train technology too, if only there were the will to do it. Let's start with a Maglev between Heathrow and Gatwick - preferably airside!
    < /rant >

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

LOL...TND mega ramp.

I think the interesting bit was the two million voters who could turn glorious Blue.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

Pong said:

Pong said:

TGOHF said:

I think someone is trying to force the price down on EM4PM. £4500 looking to back 1.79 (with commission) when Ladbrokes would probably happily lay 5/6 and plenty of firms are 4/5.

Naughty naughty.
    It's a free market. Ultimately someone will probably call their bluff.
    It seems very out of whack with the next government market where the sum total of Lab maj, Lab min and any other imply a probability of just less than 50%

Lay Ed PM and back the various Labour next governments for some free money
    Hmm - not sure about the maths there - I make all the lab govts + any other = 59.2% @ current odds. That's equivalent to backing EdPM @ about 1.7
    Bugger. I missed out the Lab / Lib Dem option.

Thanks for the spot.

Although I'm not exactly sure what the 10.5 for any other covers in realistic terms? Lab / SNP and Lab / Con grand I guess.

Milliband has ruled it out formal SNP deal, Grand seems improbable.

I think I'm going to lay this.
    I've been backing "any other"

My reading of this is eg;

Con minority with DUP attending cabinet
    LAB + LD coalition, with the SNP providing c&s, or abstaining

Basically any arrangement that isn't specifically listed, of which there are many.
    My read of the market rules is that Lab + LD with SNP providing C&S would be settled as a LAB+LD coalition not as any other.

"A Coalition Government is one which has members from at least two parties attending Cabinet meetings and are said to “have a seat at Cabinet”. A minority Government would see all the Cabinet posts filled by one party, but supply and confidence would be enjoyed by that party by one or more other parties in Parliament in order to pass votes and budgets etc."

If there isn't SNP cabinet members, then it's a Lab + LD winner I think. The DUP one is interesting, I did consider it but ruled it out, what cabinet post do you think they could get? Sec State for NI is clearly off the table as this post requires a neutral figure.
    The DUP have said they have no interest in coalition.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Sun YouGov poll finds

TWO million English and Welsh voters could swing back to the Tories to keep a Labour-SNP axis out of government, a dramatic poll has revealed.

A third of all current Ukip voters - 35% - and one in five Lib Dems - 19% - fear Ed Miliband would share power with Nicola Sturgeon to get into No10.

Nothing but ramping ! EICIPM
  • Options
    Anthony Wells says “This poll shows the Conservatives’ message about a Labour-SNP deal has significant cut through with the general public.
  • Options
    RobD said:

LOL...TND mega ramp.

I think the interesting bit was the two million voters who could turn glorious Blue.
    This is as wrong headed as believing SLAB are suddenly going to save 10 seats off the back of "tacticals"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited April 2015
    Boring YouGov

Daily SPUD (2 polls)
    Con -1
    Lab +1
    UKIP +1
    LD -1

Weekly SPUD so far (6 polls)
    Con -5
    Lab -4
    UKIP +6
    LD +2
    Green -4

• Options
    The pol finds18% of English and Welsh voters think a minority Labour government relying on SNP support would be a good thing.

Almost two thirds, 64%, said it would be bad.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    edited April 2015

Sun YouGov poll finds

TWO million English and Welsh voters could swing back to the Tories to keep a Labour-SNP axis out of government, a dramatic poll has revealed.

A third of all current Ukip voters - 35% - and one in five Lib Dems - 19% - fear Ed Miliband would share power with Nicola Sturgeon to get into No10.

Yes, it's one of those "If X happened, would it worry you?" things, as I predicted earlier - the methodological problems are that it doesn't link to VI at all, even with a prompt ("If X happened, would it make you change your vote?"). Meh.
  • Options
    Seems we were all wrong in our own different ways.
    Interesting? Hardly, although by YouGov's normal zzzzzzing standards, I suppose it was rivetting.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Easter finished yet?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Given that YG have built in a debatable Labour lead, for them to fall behind again to the Tories is very poor.

The 'ramping' is being exaggerated.

The SNP is a big potential swing factor for the Tories.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Bit dull considering. Still better than being one point behind. And those late UKIP switchers are the target of everything the Tories are doing - but will they switch?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    RobD said:

How about this for a civil engineering horrorshow:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/apr/21/huge-10-ton-fatberg-removed-chelsea-sewer-london

Bit dodgy, Chelsea...

Albeit it a better class of fat.
    My dad's company had a contract to supply a large pumping unit every few months. Each time it was used for a couple of days to pump and flush a sump - hardly an unusual request.

Unfortunately the sump belonged to an abattoir.

Even after cleaning, it used to be in such a hideous, stinky state that the same unit was kept on some clear land until the next time they hired it, and was not hired out to anyone else.

It would have been far cheaper for them to buy one. And less messy for us.
    That sounds pretty horrific. Some people have jobs I just couldn't cope with.
    In South Derbyshire there were (are?) a fair few turkey and chicken farms. A mate's first job, many years before, had been killing chickens. He said he started off taking it very seriously and treating the animals with respect - or as much as the job allowed. He was appalled by some of the antics his fellow workers got up to.

Within a couple of months he said he was doing the same things. Boredom, repetition and the closeness of death led him to do some things he looked back on with shame.

In my mind, that is a good argument for vegetarianism. Not what meat eating does to the animals, but what it does to us if we are not careful.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

Just looking at the video of the Japanese MagLev train. I know there are all sorts of good reasons why not, but I'd much prefer HS2 to be exploring new technology like that. Even better would be the evacuated tube ideas of RM Salter. (http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/papers/2008/P4874.pdf)

I know the enthusiasm for madcap ideas went out in the 70s, but for something so fundamental as trains I'd be happy to see a substantial national spend if it was a real game-changing idea.

There are issues that others are discovering with Maglev, and the latest incarnation of a partially evacuated tube is Elon Musk's (Tesla, SpaceX) Hyperloop system intended to go from San Fran to LA, but the point is that we British are supposed to be good at this stuff.

< rant >
    We have some of the best engineers and aerodynamicists in the world here working for the likes of BAE, Airbus, RR and the F1 teams; what happened to the idea that we are innovators and world leaders in new technology?? Does everyone forget that we made Concorde, the hovercraft, cars like the E-Type and more recently the McLaren F1 and P1???
    These things require vision and leadership from the top to get right, but there's no technological reason why we can't be the world's best at new train technology too, if only there were the will to do it. Let's start with a Maglev between Heathrow and Gatwick - preferably airside!
    < /rant >

There are hundreds of rail magazines. In fact, Railtec is on at the NEC 11-12 May.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Sun YouGov poll finds

Are the poll results being quoted based on an explicit question asking if people would switch parties? Because it doesn't necessarily follow that "I fear a Lab-SNP coalition" automatically becomes "I fear it so much I'll switch to the Tories".
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    And.......relax.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Seeng rumours of tories on 38% but just rumours

ARF!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sun YouGov poll finds

Isn't two million voters ~8% of the electorate? So that'd put the tories on 43%? :D:D:D
    Fear and greed...fear and greed...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2015
    Cameron pitching again to UKIPers with the "dangers" of SNP. Forget policy, it appears this is the tactic.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/590624057818750977
  • Options
    I am recording the third crossover of the year on my chart:

http://goo.gl/9RfFdf
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Pulpstar said:

YouGov/Sun Conservatives on 35%, Labour 34%, Ukip 13%, Lib Dems 7% and Greens 5%.

NEWTON DUNN RAMPS THE MOE
    He clearly finds a lot of things interesting.
  • Options

And in that scenario the huge figure, which is 8% of all voters, would prefer David Cameron to stay on – meaning they may be ready to change their vote.

TND=TSE
  • Options
    43% also say Mr Miliband should rule out any deal whatsoever with the SNP, versus 34% who want him to leave it open.

7 out of 10 voters think there'll be a hung parliament
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Considering we've had constant yougov labour leads, quite significant I'd say. (For tonight, anyway, until it reverts back to normal tomorrow)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

Sun YouGov poll finds

@NickPalmer
    Nick Palmer was right about the VI YouGov not shifting much and the likelihood of another question being added to stoke the interest
    Tick...tock to Ed is PM.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    The oldest rule of politics is don't interrupt your opponent when they are making a mistake.

Labour could not have done more to try an interrupt the tories and push them off of this subject today.

Speaks volumes, it might not be sporting, but it's working
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

FPT: @ManchesterKurt and @JJ

New, and clear, lines.

The current system is constrained - it's about changing those constraints. If you stick a fast train on a crap line you'll get tiny improvements - I'm reasonably sure that there's no degradation. Fast trains on fast lines (exclusively) though works.

Which is HS2. But if you make that Maglev, you would have to replicate all the high speed traffic patterns - for instance Glasgow to London or get people to change to the Maglev line wherever it starts.

Having a high-speed rail lines means that some existing services can be diverted along it, freeing capacity on the old lines.

As an aside, such a conversation should perhaps stray into the cost of upgrading existing lines. The WCML took years longer than expected, was under spec (e.g. 125 MPH instead of 140 MPH), and cost around £10 billion against the expected £2 billion. People who claim we can upgrade existing lines to gain extra capacity need to remember that it is massively expensive to rebuild existing lines whilst keeping them in traffic.

http://www.nao.org.uk/report/the-modernisation-of-the-west-coast-main-line/
    Well precisely you've nailed it - the costs of building tunnels, acquiring land, etc are likely to be bigger than the technology costs. Moreover the replacement technology cots will be high too- so build ambitiously!
    Some guys at an org called UK Ultraspeed did a feasibility study on maglev instead of HS2 a few years back - http://www.500kmh.com/
    Their USP was that as you build the whole thing elevated the amount of land requiring purchase was reduced by 90% as you need a 10' diameter pole in the ground every 100 yards, the farmers can work around the large poles in the fields.
  • Options

Sun YouGov poll finds

Yes, it's one of those "If X happened, would it worry you?" things, as I predicted earlier - the methodological problems are that it doesn't link to VI at all, even with a prompt ("If X happened, would it make you change your vote?"). Meh.
    Meh? "If it happened"???

Are you kidding me?

Look at the polls - SNP on 40-50 seats, Lab/Con each on 270-280. If nothing changes, it _will_ happen.

And people don't like it.

Even the Graun accepts this is a game-changer.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

There are hundreds of rail magazines. In fact, Railtec is on at the NEC 11-12 May.
    What's the circulation of 'Drudge Monthly' now?

• Options
    After his outburst today about Major's "Bastards", there can be no doubt that Paddy Ashdown is going 100% for a link up with Labour .... no change there then.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210

Cameron pitching again to UKIPers with the "dangers" of SNP. Forget policy, it appears this is the tactic.

Sorry, what did you say??

I was distracted by another headline on that page!
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Neil Henderson ✔ @hendopolis

GUARDIAN: Shapps accused of secret slurs against top Tories #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers pic.twitter.com/nHPv2H0IIw

• Options
    Did I read Tories at 42% ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited April 2015
    Once again I beat the Sun and Tom Newton Dunn to the publication of their own poll..
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

These things require deep pockets of cash and political commitment as well as capitalists with outlook further than next quarter.

• Options

Neil Henderson ✔ @hendopolis

GUARDIAN: Shapps accused of secret slurs against top Tories #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers pic.twitter.com/nHPv2H0IIw

BLUEONBLUE INCOMING!!!!!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sun YouGov poll finds

Meh? "If it happened"???

Are you kidding me?

Look at the polls - SNP on 40-50 seats, Lab/Con each on 270-280. If nothing changes, it _will_ happen.

And yet will they do anything about it?
  • Options

Fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, lend me your votes.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

I'm gonna go for a tie.

Edit: or Tories on 42%, as I said before :)

42% would be a game changer tbh.
    I am pretty sure I would feel a great disturbance in the Force. As if a million Basils cried out momentarily, and then fell silent..............
    With joy. Basil keeps whailing for those heady days when he was told of Crossover January, yearns for pulling away February and cries out for consistant Tory majority winning leads March. He has been known to wake up screaming out "Where the Feck is Crosbys swingback."

Still he wanders on, with his goalposts aloft and through tears of pain all he can see in front of him is six huge letters .....E....I....C....I....P.....M.

You have got to feel for the little feller.
    LOL
    St Valentine's Day Massacre
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Did I read Tories at 42% ?

At this rate, that'll happen in seven days. Patience!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    @tnewtondunn: EXCL: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Two million voters could swing to the Tories to keep out a Labour-SNP government http://t.co/KCvW0etH9g
  • Options
    Schards said:

Human rights for chimps?
  • Options

Something like that.
  • Options

43% also say Mr Miliband should rule out any deal whatsoever with the SNP, versus 34% who want him to leave it open.

Ed has ruled out a coalition. He can't say how SNP themselves might decide to vote.
  • Options

Tim Montgomerie ن ✔ @montie

As @LouiseMensch would ask that I report it: MASSIVE Tory surge in new @YouGov poll as Cameron soars to 1% lead over Labour. Awesome

• Options
    Sandpit said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

But the problem is that Maglev is not the best. It is sexy, and interesting, and modern, but it is not the best. It would require a step-change in technology to make it the best - say room-temperature superconductors - but those might also benefit conventional high-speed rail.

If it was the best, then why have the Germans dismantled their research track? They have not mothballed it; they have dismantled it. Why, after so many decades, is there only one operating high-speed Maglev line for passengers, and they've scrapped plans to extend even that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emsland_test_facility

I'd live the converse to be true, but it is not.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Ed has ruled out a coalition. He can't say how SNP themselves might decide to vote.
    Unfortunately for Ed 99% of people are clueless about how parliament works.
    Fortunately for Ed it take a leap and a half of terrible psephological logic to conclude the Tories are suddenly going to take 2 million votes.
    Unfortunately for Ed the exact same logic applies to unionist voters in Scotland.
  • Options
    Schards said:

I think you mean two mouth watering headlines more like
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Unfortunately for Ed 99% of people are clueless about how parliament works.
    Fortunately for Ed it take a leap and a half of terrible psephological logic to conclude the Tories are suddenly going to take 2 million votes.
    Unfortunately for Ed the exact same logic applies to unionist voters in Scotland.
    Chris Hanretty ‏@chrishanretty 3m3 minutes ago

Chris Hanretty retweeted Tom Newton Dunn

I hear @anthonyjwells gritting his teeth as he gives this quote. Or is that just me?

• Options

Fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists, lend me your votes. The Jocks are coming.

Except Andy Murray who is a good egg - almost British.

The way the Scots have been demonised in the last few days, how do we expect them to stay in the UK.

I think if we held a referendum today, the result will be 55 - 45 Yes - NO. There is such a anti-Scot tirade on.

• Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

Sun YouGov poll finds

Meh? "If it happened"???

Are you kidding me?

And yet will they do anything about it?
    Some might. It's a powerful narrative. And it's not just hypothesis; The SNP opining over rUK's policies is unnerving and rightly so.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Sun YouGov poll finds

Bit dismissive - depends on how much this narrative becomes more powerful - at the very least I would be concerned if I supported labour.
  • Options

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak

Shapps considering complaining, inc under criminal law that protects candidates during elex period - more on #newsnight

• Options
    edited April 2015

Along with the luvvies, hippies and swampies... what a guy!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11224016/David-Cameron-tells-Labour-LibDems-and-Green-supporters-in-Rochester-and-Strood-Vote-Tory-and-stop-Ukip.html

Like a desperado at a disco as the lights come on, trying to grab hold of any old rotter that no one else fancied taking home
  • Options

Tim Montgomerie ن ✔ @montie

As @LouiseMensch would ask that I report it: MASSIVE Tory surge in new @YouGov poll as Cameron soars to 1% lead over Labour. Awesome

Even the Tories are being sarcastic.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    perdix said:

These things require deep pockets of cash and political commitment as well as capitalists with outlook further than next quarter.

I'm sure you're right. I'll leave the question as to how you find these people as rhetorical.

However - I'm going to go all left wing,.. The state can choose to fund elaborate and ambitious enterprise. The US's race for the moon is the obvious example.

I sort of think (making this up as I write) that the state should pick up the lows and highs of the world. The most important thing is picking up on the lows - however as I'm not a politician I can focus on the delivery of the highs.

• Options
    perdix said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

... and common sense not to invest in failed technology (unless they have good reason to feel they could do it better).

Fortunately in the case of Maglev, the UK got out relatively early. The Germans have spent far too much on it, and then gave it away to the Chinese!
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

The more they bleat, the more it suggests the pain.

Chuka Umunna‏@ChukaUmunna·5 mins5 minutes ago
    Major desperation from the PM & his party in every sense today. Their negative & divisive campaign is tanking and they don't know what to do

Question for Chukka

When was the last time SNP said anything positive about Tories?

Tories don't say anything nice about SNP. Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    I see the tories pulled out of a newsnight welfare debate.... presumably they smelt a trap and why give another story legs when this one is bubbling along..

Rafael Behr‏@rafaelbehr·now
    When someone who doesn't follow politics much tells you "we're gonna be ruled by the bloody Scots" you know Tory message cutting through.
  • Options

Nigella could swing it for the Tories. 42 -32 -40. Sorry ! that's more than 100.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,552
    edited April 2015
    Alistair said:

TGOHF said:

Ooof
    @SkyNews: Tesco to announce statutory pre-tax losses of well over £5bn, Sky News understands http://t.co/DNAqN1ACPj http://t.co/d1uOu7fx1X

It's all write downs, way less exciting than it could have been, they don't (seem) to have cash flow problems and its cash flow problems that kill companies.
    This business has a real smell of dodgy insider dealings to let some US corporation buy it up dirt cheap. There's nothing wrong with Tesco -all this Aldi and Lidl stuff is totally overblown. Tesco is the market leader, they could obliterate everyone else if they so desired; it feels like the foot isn't on the gas pedal.

Which if it did happen would be a disaster - to give that country even more power over this country's food supply.
  • Options
    It's been 24 hours since Labour last had a poll lead with Yougov.

The Day the Polls turned for TND.

Basil is doing backflips.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

Absolutely! I would vote for anyone willing to invest in semi-mature tech like this, we have the brains to get stuff like this working but not the political will.
  • Options

It's been 24 hours since Labour last had a poll lead with Yougov.

The Day the Polls turned for TND.

Basil is doing backflips.

Tipping point, dear boy. :)
  • Options

Shapps considering complaining, inc under criminal law that protects candidates during elex period - more on #newsnight

Who to ?

What about :D ?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    BBC Politics ✔ @BBCPolitics

Grant Shapps denies changing Wikipedia entries about himself & other #Conservative members http://bbc.co.uk/electionlive pic.twitter.com/4kQZmuAM0v

Jeremy Hunt ✔ @Jeremy_Hunt

Why are Guardian campaigning against Grant Shapps? He denies having anything to do with wiki edits he is accused of, couldn't be clearer

Retweeted by Douglas Carswell
  • Options

surbiton said:

Sun YouGov poll finds

Bit dismissive - depends on how much this narrative becomes more powerful - at the very least I would be concerned if I supported labour.
    What do you mean powerful? How many times can you say beware the Jocks? At some point soon this line of attack will become the object of ridicule and then what?

The Tory campaign- budget austerity, failed; long term economic plan, failed; Miliband is useless, failed; spend, spend, spend, failed; the Jocks are coming, the Jocks are coming- about to fail.
    I don't think the Tories are going backwards in this campaign- (they bloody well deserve to be because their campaign is crap), but it just seems like campaigns do not make the blind bit of difference.
  • Options

I see the tories pulled out of a newsnight welfare debate.... presumably they smelt a trap and why give another story legs when this one is bubbling along..

When someone who doesn't follow politics much tells you "we're gonna be ruled by the bloody Scots" you know Tory message cutting through.

Guido_Bankruptee@repeatdrinkdriver - now
    In pub tonight and someone who doesn't follow politics said to me that they weren't voting Tory because Grant Shapps thinks they are all shit.

It's got legs this one.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Even the Tories are being sarcastic.

Neil Kinnock is more Tory than Tim Montgomerie.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

As it is controversial, bad for the Tories and late at night I fear I would be banned for mentioning it by the seething inventor
  • Options
    I don't mind being ruled by Scots - it's just I would prefer if those Scots doing the ruling genuinely cared about the whole of the country, even if they loved their part of it more. The SNP will I'm sure attempt not to do anything perceived as genuinely unfair, but given their very reason for existence and the passion with which they follow it, I find it hard to accept they could manage that consistently even if they tried. Oh well. Miliband may be more canny than we think - the SNP are very good at bluffing after all, maybe he can wring from them more than they think.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

perdix said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

Absolutely! I would vote for anyone willing to invest in semi-mature tech like this, we have the brains to get stuff like this working but not the political will.
    A classic case of hope over reality.

For one thing, the technology is working. It just is not particularly effective or a good solution in the vast majority of cases.

If you really want to help science and industry, then enablers like the Diamond Light Source are the way to go. Virtually unknown, but massively helpful and relatively cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Light_Source
  • Options

In pub tonight and someone who doesn't follow politics said to me that they weren't voting Tory because Grant Shapps thinks they are all shit.

It's got legs this one.
    Potty mouth.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

Apparently someone has been hacking around with Wikipedia to make it look as if it was Shapps - the same anonymous user writing nice things about him and horrid things about others. An obvious hoax, but the Guardian is running with it strangely.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Pong said:

Pong said:

TGOHF said:

I think someone is trying to force the price down on EM4PM. £4500 looking to back 1.79 (with commission) when Ladbrokes would probably happily lay 5/6 and plenty of firms are 4/5.

Naughty naughty.
    It's a free market. Ultimately someone will probably call their bluff.
    It seems very out of whack with the next government market where the sum total of Lab maj, Lab min and any other imply a probability of just less than 50%

Lay Ed PM and back the various Labour next governments for some free money
    Hmm - not sure about the maths there - I make all the lab govts + any other = 59.2% @ current odds. That's equivalent to backing EdPM @ about 1.7
    Bugger. I missed out the Lab / Lib Dem option.

Thanks for the spot.

Although I'm not exactly sure what the 10.5 for any other covers in realistic terms? Lab / SNP and Lab / Con grand I guess.

Milliband has ruled it out formal SNP deal, Grand seems improbable.

I think I'm going to lay this.
    I've been backing "any other"

My reading of this is eg;

Con minority with DUP attending cabinet
    LAB + LD coalition, with the SNP providing c&s, or abstaining

Basically any arrangement that isn't specifically listed, of which there are many.
    My read of the market rules is that Lab + LD with SNP providing C&S would be settled as a LAB+LD coalition not as any other.

"A Coalition Government is one which has members from at least two parties attending Cabinet meetings and are said to “have a seat at Cabinet”. A minority Government would see all the Cabinet posts filled by one party, but supply and confidence would be enjoyed by that party by one or more other parties in Parliament in order to pass votes and budgets etc."

If there isn't SNP cabinet members, then it's a Lab + LD winner I think. The DUP one is interesting, I did consider it but ruled it out, what cabinet post do you think they could get? Sec State for NI is clearly off the table as this post requires a neutral figure.
    Interesting. Betfair seem to have added some blurb to the rules since I placed my main bets. I was under the impression a Lab+LD coalition needed 326+ seats to be a winner. Hmm.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    tyson said:

surbiton said:

Sun YouGov poll finds

What do you mean powerful? How many times can you say beware the Jocks? At some point soon this line of attack will become the object of ridicule and then what?

The Tory campaign- budget austerity, failed; long term economic plan, failed; Miliband is useless, failed; spend, spend, spend, failed; the Jocks are coming, the Jocks are coming- about to fail.
    I don't think the Tories are going backwards in this campaign- (they bloody well deserve to be because their campaign is crap), but it just seems like campaigns do not make the blind bit of difference.
    oh it's all so unfair.

You sound like Alistair Darling on the wireless this morning - why can't everyone just see sense and vote Labour?
  • Options

It's got legs this one.
    Yep,the BBC will do it's best.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Powerless, in other words.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

Apparently someone has been hacking around with Wikipedia to make it look as if it was Shapps - the same anonymous user writing nice things about him and horrid things about others. An obvious hoax, but the Guardian is running with it strangely.
    Surely Shapps would use his own name, if he was to do something like that....

Titters :D
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kle4 said:

I don't mind being ruled by Scots - it's just I would prefer if those Scots doing the ruling genuinely cared about the whole of the country, even if they loved their part of it more. The SNP will I'm sure attempt not to do anything perceived as genuinely unfair, but given their very reason for existence and the passion with which they follow it, I find it hard to accept they could manage that consistently even if they tried. Oh well. Miliband may be more canny than we think - the SNP are very good at bluffing after all, maybe he can wring from them more than they think.

The Scots voted to stay part of the UK in a referendum that many on here were crapping themselves over for fear "their country might be lost forever" etc

Part of the deal for them staying seems to be them wanting more power than before.. we have to deal with it and stop blabbing. Unionists cant have their cake and eat it, this is the price of the union remaining intact

Like a wife threatening divorce and you begging her to stay.. if she stays she will have gained more leverage and if you want her to stay indefinitely, you have to suffer it.
  • Options

It's got legs this one.
    It's embarrassing. Shaps is a liability.
    But, as to legs, Shorty from A Fistful of Dollars has more legs
  • Options
    Can we just confirm did Grant Shapps say it wasn't him that changed Wiki but Michael Green?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    I'm not sure that Labour have ever recovered from the Ed in Salmond's pocket poster.
    In todays Times it was I think, they had a 2 page picture of just Sturgeon in front of a yellow background with the Scotland Stronger slogan. I'm sure they the paper intended it that way but it looked arrogant and hubristic.
    The question is - did the SNP want it to look like that?
  • Options
    So - we have a half hour party political broadcast for the Labour party on the BBC now, whilst the print press has gone peak Tory propaganda !
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

Grant Shapps denies changing Wikipedia entries about himself & other #Conservative members http://bbc.co.uk/electionlive pic.twitter.com/4kQZmuAM0v

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

Well the BBC have gone with the denial, not the story itself.
  • Options

It's got legs this one.
    Potty mouth.
    Don't blame me, blame Michael Green.
  • Options

Jeremy Hunt ✔ @Jeremy_Hunt

Why are Guardian campaigning against Grant Shapps? He denies having anything to do with wiki edits he is accused of, couldn't be clearer

Retweeted by Douglas Carswell

Mybe it was someone in the French Consulate in Edinburgh. Michel Vert?

• Options
    Neil Henderson ‏@hendopolis ·

MAIL: Union's sinister hold over Miliband #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers

• Options
    Any more polls tonight?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

perdix said:

Sandpit said:

FPT

Omnium said:

< rant >
    < /rant >

A classic case of hope over reality.

For one thing, the technology is working. It just is not particularly effective or a good solution in the vast majority of cases.

If you really want to help science and industry, then enablers like the Diamond Light Source are the way to go. Virtually unknown, but massively helpful and relatively cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Light_Source
    I didn't know about Diamond. Thanks.
    I'd still like to see us build a maglev though ;)

Anyway, there's politics (and cricket) going on!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

kle4 said:

The Scots voted to stay part of the UK in a referendum that many on here were crapping themselves over for fear "their country might be lost forever" etc

Part of the deal for them staying seems to be them wanting more power than before.. we have to deal with it and stop blabbing. Unionists cant have their cake and eat it, this is the price of the union remaining intact

Like a wife threatening divorce and you begging her to stay.. if she stays she will have gained more leverage and if you want her to stay indefinitely, you have to suffer it.
    They voted to stay part of the Union but with special powers (not as in X-Men special powers) that voters in, say, Dagenham don't have.

Part of that deal was to grant them a large degree of autonomy so they could run their own affairs. Now the narrative is that they want to run their affairs to the detriment of rUK and, indeed, even influence policy in rUK which will not affect them.

How true or not this is (and at least NS gives it legs, to coin a phrase), that is what is unnerving people.
  • Options

It's got legs this one.
    Yep,the BBC will do it's best.
    *** Ahem *** Check Twitter handle ***Ahem****
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    SeanT said:

Miliband=Sturgeon meme still resonating. Arguably it's getting stronger.

This could - remarkably - win the election for the Tories.

And what the F did Labour expect when Jim Murphy said, explicitly, that taxes on Londoners and S E English people will directly pay for Scottish nurses? Did he expect the English to roll over and say "fine"?

This is venomous stuff for Labour. I am amazed they are not rebutting it.

What do Labour re-but
    "No we will not ask SNP to vote on our legislation"

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?
    And the bbc it seems.
    'someone'?
    A labour supporter you mean...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

Well the BBC have gone with the denial, not the story itself.
    Are Labour going to go big on this? Maybe their resident wikipedia expert Chuka can tell us all about this stuff?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Shapp's story.

Neil Henderson ‏@hendopolis ·
    MIRROR: Thicky Wicki #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Have we had the Yougov?
This discussion has been closed.