Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Podcast discussion on general election betting between Mike

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak

Shapps considering complaining, inc under criminal law that protects candidates during elex period - more on #newsnight

Who to ?

What about :D ?
    Apparently someone has been hacking around with Wikipedia to make it look as if it was Shapps - the same anonymous user writing nice things about him and horrid things about others. An obvious hoax, but the Guardian is running with it strangely.
    And the bbc it seems.

BBC Politics ✔ @BBCPolitics

Grant Shapps denies changing Wikipedia entries about himself & other #Conservative members http://bbc.co.uk/electionlive pic.twitter.com/4kQZmuAM0v

Well the BBC have gone with the denial, not the story itself.
    Are Labour going to go big on this? Maybe their resident wikipedia expert Chuka can tell us all about this stuff?
    I just had a quick look at the user's contributions to wiki, they do seem to edit the Shapps article quite frequently...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,027
    edited April 2015
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

I don't mind being ruled by Scots - it's just I would prefer if those Scots doing the ruling genuinely cared about the whole of the country, even if they loved their part of it more. The SNP will I'm sure attempt not to do anything perceived as genuinely unfair, but given their very reason for existence and the passion with which they follow it, I find it hard to accept they could manage that consistently even if they tried. Oh well. Miliband may be more canny than we think - the SNP are very good at bluffing after all, maybe he can wring from them more than they think.

The Scots voted to stay part of the UK in a referendum that many on here were crapping themselves over for fear "their country might be lost forever" etc

Part of the deal for them staying seems to be them wanting more power than before.. we have to deal with it and stop blabbing. Unionists cant have their cake and eat it, this is the price of the union remaining intact

Like a wife threatening divorce and you begging her to stay.. if she stays she will have gained more leverage and if you want her to stay indefinitely, you have to suffer it.
    They voted to stay part of the Union but with special powers (not as in X-Men special powers) that voters in, say, Dagenham don't have.

Part of that deal was to grant them a large degree of autonomy so they could run their own affairs. Now the narrative is that they want to run their affairs to the detriment of rUK and, indeed, even influence policy in rUK which will not affect them.

How true or not this is (and at least NS gives it legs, to coin a phrase), that is what is unnerving people.
    I cant see the problem.. the referendum has made it clear to Scottish people that they are best represented in UK by the SNP and the result is that Scotland will have a bigger voice in Westminster than ever before... just the way it is. Moaning isn't going to help, neither is scaremongering.

I would have rather they left, but if they stay, junior partners in a coalition seems fair enough to me

• Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Lots of people talking about 'narrative'. In about a week the biggest narrative might be the polls themselves. If someone looks consistently in front, then that will probably have a notable impact on voters' minds.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    SeanT said:

Miliband=Sturgeon meme still resonating. Arguably it's getting stronger.

This could - remarkably - win the election for the Tories.

And what the F did Labour expect when Jim Murphy said, explicitly, that taxes on Londoners and S E English people will directly pay for Scottish nurses? Did he expect the English to roll over and say "fine"?

This is venomous stuff for Labour. I am amazed they are not rebutting it.

Don't tell Compouter and Tyson that - their heads will explode.

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

Tom Newton Tory described it as a "Game Changer " an hour before release .....Tory 1% ahead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

35 Con, 34 Lab.. 7 LD, 13 UKIP
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Pulpstar said:

Shapps considering complaining, inc under criminal law that protects candidates during elex period - more on #newsnight

Who to ?

Apparently someone has been hacking around with Wikipedia to make it look as if it was Shapps - the same anonymous user writing nice things about him and horrid things about others. An obvious hoax, but the Guardian is running with it strangely.
    A hoax that's been going on since late 2013?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    isam said:

kle4 said:

I don't mind being ruled by Scots - it's just I would prefer if those Scots doing the ruling genuinely cared about the whole of the country, even if they loved their part of it more. The SNP will I'm sure attempt not to do anything perceived as genuinely unfair, but given their very reason for existence and the passion with which they follow it, I find it hard to accept they could manage that consistently even if they tried. Oh well. Miliband may be more canny than we think - the SNP are very good at bluffing after all, maybe he can wring from them more than they think.

The Scots voted to stay part of the UK in a referendum that many on here were crapping themselves over for fear "their country might be lost forever" etc

Part of the deal for them staying seems to be them wanting more power than before.. we have to deal with it and stop blabbing. Unionists cant have their cake and eat it, this is the price of the union remaining intact

Like a wife threatening divorce and you begging her to stay.. if she stays she will have gained more leverage and if you want her to stay indefinitely, you have to suffer it.
    Did anyone ask the English and Welsh if they are happy to give them more power? Think you will find this is the E&W telling them enough is enough.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,183

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

Grant Shapps denies changing Wikipedia entries about himself & other #Conservative members http://bbc.co.uk/electionlive pic.twitter.com/4kQZmuAM0v

Are Labour going to go big on this? Maybe their resident wikipedia expert Chuka can tell us all about this stuff?
    if this blows up Cameron only has himself to blame for failing to sack Shapps when the Michael Green/Corinne Stockheath exposé first hit the press.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

Tom Newton Tory described it as a "Game Changer " an hour before release .....Tory 1% ahead.
    With a bank of 2 million additional voters :D;)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited April 2015

Neil Henderson ‏@hendopolis ·

MAIL: Union's sinister hold over Miliband #tomorrowspaperstoday #BBCPapers

The Tory party is behaving more and more silly as polling day approaches.
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/590627059157884928/photo/1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3049399/Iain-Duncan-Smith-attacks-Ed-Miliband-s-politics-hate-envy.html

'Labour hate people who get up early and go to work': Iain Duncan Smith attacks Miliband's 'politics of hate and envy'

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,434
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

35 Con, 34 Lab.. 7 LD, 13 UKIP
    Thanks. Skimmed the thread and couldn't see it. Obviously a profoundly important change.
  • Options

SeanT said:

And what the F did Labour expect when Jim Murphy said, explicitly, that taxes on Londoners and S E English people will directly pay for Scottish nurses? Did he expect the English to roll over and say "fine"?

It's all they have been talking about in the Frog and Slug all day.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

Can we just confirm did Grant Shapps say it wasn't him that changed Wiki but Michael Green?

Grant Shapps has form for never telling porkies. Honest guv.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3049399/Iain-Duncan-Smith-attacks-Ed-Miliband-s-politics-hate-envy.html

'Labour hate people who get up early and go to work': Iain Duncan Smith attacks Miliband's 'politics of hate and envy'

Nothing like getting the Labour vote mobilised than a persoanl attack on Ed.

Go Lynton!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Key election issues - website editing.

Said no voter ever.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    The BBC and Daily Mail really are two cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    edited April 2015

DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

I thought all he did was ask if the fear of SNP-Lab could be a game changer, then teased the poll as potentially answering it, which is not quite the same thing at all. Indeed, whatever the result - and whatever the results of the other question - he could claim it was an interesting answer to the question of it were a game changer.
  • Options
    It must be a slow poll day. Posters are ramping ....ramping, papers and wiki changes.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    It's pretty disappointing that all the Tories appear to have left is project fear. You'd think after 5 years in power that'd have a positive message. Two weeks to go
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Speedy said:

Go Lynton!
    Oh dear - one or 2 poor polls for Labour and compouter starts posting like a demented......squirrel. The irony. :)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

if this blows up Cameron only has himself to blame for failing to sack Shapps when the Michael Green/Corinne Stockheath exposé first hit the press.
    Schapps is a prat; but nobody cares who he is; so it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

SeanT said:

Just another dipstick comment to add to your ever growing list.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited April 2015
    I could swear that just a couple of weeks ago, Chris Hanretty's http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/ had Plaid Cymru winning just a single seat. Now he has them winning FOUR!
    Perhaps the Welsh are belatedly fancying a bit of what the Scots have grabbed with both hands in which case Hills' odds of 6/4 against Plaid winning > 3.5 seats is looking quite tasty.
    DYOR (and btw I have checked this bet on Hills' own website!)
    Incidentally, it would be interesting to know from whom Plaid stand to win these three additional seats and also how close they perhaps may be to winning another one or two.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Irony. Everyone loves Nicola. Everyone scared of Labour because... Nicola.

EdM should've immediately called bullish*t on John Major's intervention, to make a start on neutralising these scare tactics. The SNP can't and won't Labour to ransom. Being in coalition in Westminster would be much more awkward for the SNP than for Labour.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

I thought all he did was ask if the fear of SNP-Lab could be a game changer, then teased the poll, which is not quite the same thing at all.
    So SNP scare tactics is not a game changer.
    This is probably why the latest attack angle on Labour is that Labour candidates have links with Unite "shock" and that "Labour hate people who wake up early".

The Tories seem to be out of ammunition.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051

isam said:

kle4 said:

Did anyone ask the English and Welsh if they are happy to give them more power? Think you will find this is the E&W telling them enough is enough.
    Nige- on more important matters, 5 wickets in a day exposes England's lack of penetration. God help us in the summer.
  • Options
    felix said:

Speedy said:

Go Lynton!
    Oh dear - one or 2 poor polls for Labour and compouter starts posting like a demented......squirrel. The irony. :)
    :-)
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

ARF!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,329
    TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

It's curious to see how Shapps has replaced Lord Ashcroft as Labour's great Tory bogey man. Okay, unlike Ashcroft, Labour haven't accused Shapps of being an international drug runner yet, but something similar may not be far off.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

It's pretty disappointing that all the Tories appear to have left is project fear. You'd think after 5 years in power that'd have a positive message. Two weeks to go

How about zero inflation and record employment ?
  • Options

isam said:

kle4 said:

What is "the E&W telling them enough is enough"?

I don't get it... Uniosts were desperate for Scotland to stay part of the union, and they voted to do so.. but more Scots want SNP to represent them than any other party. That's the way it is, how can anyone complain?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Have we had the Yougov?

I thought all he did was ask if the fear of SNP-Lab could be a game changer, then teased the poll, which is not quite the same thing at all.
    So SNP scare tactics is not a game changer.
    This is probably why the latest attack angle on Labour is that Labour candidates have links with Unite "shock" and that "Labour hate people who wake up early".

The Tories seem to be out of ammunition.
    I think you are being a bit presumptious. I believe Dave will be waving around the SNP manifesto tomorrow......or was that yesterday?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    tyson said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Nige- on more important matters, 5 wickets in a day exposes England's lack of penetration. God help us in the summer.
    England bowling far too samey. No left arm, no leg spin, etc.
  • Options

Think you will find it is project reality.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

It's pretty disappointing that people ignore or forget all the positive messaging the other side has projected whenever a bit of negative messaging pops up and then implies that is all that was there all along or that it didn't count the instant some negative stuff pops up.

Along with that, it is pretty disappointing when people accuse a side of having no plans at all, when they have laid out plans, the side doing the complaining just doesn't like them, or they are vague (but no vaguer than the complainer's own).

As I have been accused of being a secret Tory, and to avoid any misunderstandings (though I think it pretty blunt), the first paragraph relates to attacks on the Tories, the second to attacks on Labour.
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    SNP scare tactics are a game changer, yougov is irrelevant.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Well if you look at the labour supporting papers for tomorrow,it seems it's turned to project smear.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Speedy said:

Go Lynton!
    I appreciate that IDS did not, as far as I can see, come up with some trendy name for people who get up early and go to work at least.. Alarm clock Britain, the Squeezed Middle, that sort of thing.
    NoEasyDay said:

Unless the change is delayed and tomorrow it shows a bigger swing to the Tories?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kle4 said:

It's pretty disappointing that people ignore or forget all the positive messaging the other side has projected whenever a bit of negative messaging pops up and then implies that is all that was there all along or that it didn't count the instant some negative stuff pops up.

Along with that, it is pretty disappointing when people accuse a side of having no plans at all, when they have laid out plans, the side doing the complaining just doesn't like them, or they are vague (but no vaguer than the complainer's own).

As I have been accused of being a secret Tory, and to avoid any misunderstandings (though I think it pretty blunt), the first paragraph relates to attacks on the Tories, the second to attacks on Labour.

I think it is more because people don't remember the positive message the moment a shocking attack or vitriol is thrown.
    It is entertaining for voters to see politicians bashing the brains out of each other, but at some point extreme negativity puts the audience off.

Lets take the Tory campaign so far, the only thing I remember was it started with Ed is Crap, then the first debate happened and Ed's numbers went up, after that it was the SNP is the devil, then the second & third debates happened which saw the SNP's numbers go up , and now they are out of ideas.
    I remember nothing of any policy proposals that the Tories might have announced, just the attack stuff.
  • Options

tyson said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

And against the pace attack of the Aussies this summer,it makes our attack look like the England attack of the late 80's/early 90's - pea-shooters ;-)

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited April 2015

I could swear that just a couple of weeks ago, Chris Hanretty's http://www.electionforecast.co.uk/ had Plaid Cymru winning just a single seat. Now he has them winning FOUR!
    Perhaps the Welsh are belatedly fancying a bit of what the Scots have grabbed with both hands in which case Hills' odds of 6/4 against Plaid winning > 3.5 seats is looking quite tasty.
    Incidentally, it would be interesting to know from whom Plaid stand to win these three additional seats and also how close they perhaps may be to winning another one or two.

2 from Labour (which they already hold) and 1 from LD (Ceredigion)

Ynys Mon (Lab) is also on a knife-edge according to them.

This chart refers: https://twitter.com/May2015NS/status/590507081087770624
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

It's curious to see how Shapps has replaced Lord Ashcroft as Labour's great Tory bogey man. Okay, unlike Ashcroft, Labour haven't accused Shapps of being an international drug runner yet, but something similar may not be far off.
    Given a leading Labour politician had a similar issue with wikipedia you would think that they might go careful. But then the friendly forces of the Guardian and BBC, were the same with Ashcroft.....EVIL.....NON-DOM....and the stupid panorama, years in the making, to show us, Ashcroft errrh makes money and that upset some people.

Strange how no interest in doing a similar investigation into Lakshmi Mittal for instance. You would have thought stories like this might raise an eyebrow.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2007/05/17/idINIndia-29869720070517

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertolsen/2010/12/02/indias-taxman-raids-mittal-brothers/
  • Options

tyson said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

We'll get whitewashed unless things change.

Right now the only players I would say should play in the Ashes are Root, Ballance, Bell, Stokes, Buttler and Anderson. Root can turn in some half decent off spin so I would add a leg spinner, Borthwick would be my choice.

I think they jettisoned Carberry too quickly

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2015

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

Nobody cares? "Nobody knows who Grant Schapps is" may be a more accurate description.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Go Lynton!
    The Mail is great for Diabetics too, apparently.
  • Options

2 from Labour (Arfon, which they already hold, plus Ynys Mon) and 1 from LD (Ceredigion)

This chart refers: https://twitter.com/May2015NS/status/590507081087770624
    I wonder what is causing the asymmetric uncertainties in the latest data?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Go Lynton!
    The Mail is great for Diabetics too, apparently.
    LOL! Unite Militants - Fantastic Stuff!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

Nobody cares? "Nobody knows who Grant Schapps is" may be a more accurate description.
    That is what I said. Nobody cares who he is. It is not going to shift votes. Not much will.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,974
    TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

A Westminster Village story if ever there was one. Anything to get Ed being the puppet of a couple of fishy Scots off the BBC news, eh?
  • Options
    NoEasyDay said:

It is certain that the you gov sun poll will feature on the media all day tomorrow creating the main political narrative. I refer to political narrative, as the dreadful migrants story in the Med is going to feature big time over the coming days, rightly so

• Options
    Fucking Hell - Editing Wikipedia

Game changer.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    I doubt Grant will be in the next Tory cabinet. It won't shift a single vote. But what a prat.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Game changer.

LOL
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

I don't get it... Uniosts were desperate for Scotland to stay part of the union, and they voted to do so.. but more Scots want SNP to represent them than any other party. That's the way it is, how can anyone complain?
    Good post.
  • Options

chestnut said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

That is what I said. Nobody cares who he is. It is not going to shift votes. Not much will.
    Nicola will, both North and South of the border.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Game changer.

I agree, on par with Unions support Labour.
  • Options
    Tele gets ahead of itself

"Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, was yesterday campaigning in South Thanet, the constituency where Mr Farage is standing.
    Mr Johnson said that Ukip supporters are returning to the Tory Party as they start “focussing” on the “choice” between Mr Cameron and Mr Johnson.
    "
  • Options
    NoEasyDayNoEasyDay Posts: 454
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Go Lynton!
    I appreciate that IDS did not, as far as I can see, come up with some trendy name for people who get up early and go to work at least.. Alarm clock Britain, the Squeezed Middle, that sort of thing.
    NoEasyDay said:

Unless the change is delayed and tomorrow it shows a bigger swing to the Tories?
    If its a bigger change tommorow..I agree, in fact its a shocker because I think yougov have self selecting pool. So to change that would show a real mindset change.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Mike's tip at long-odds of Will Scobie #Will2win in South Thanet is still available at best-priced WH 11-2.Mike's analysis was based on a campaign to appeal to moderate Tories such as Ian Dale or Ian Birrell,LibDems and Greens as the Tory candidate is ex-Ukip and the Ukip candidate is Farage.I am convinced Will can command this anti-Ukip majority.
    11-2 isn't too shoddy.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

I think it is more because people don't remember the positive message the moment a shocking attack or vitriol is thrown.
    It is entertaining for voters to see politicians bashing the brains out of each other, but at some point extreme negativity puts the audience off.

Lets take the Tory campaign so far, the only thing I remember was it started with Ed is Crap, then the first debate happened and Ed's numbers went up, after that it was the SNP is the devil, then the second & third debates happened which saw the SNP's numbers go up , and now they are out of ideas.
    I remember nothing of any policy proposals that the Tories might have announced, just the attack stuff.
    I don't really remember much of the policy stuff (reading the manifestos hasn't helped, it's all blended together in my mind), though I recall the general, soft fuzzy tone of the economy doing ok now and how to keep it that way with strong leadership. It is just a vague recollection though.

The Labour campaign? It starts from a more negative position out of necessity as there's a sitting government to oust, not a recent record to defend, and there's been a lot of waffle about the recovery not helping ordinary people and not much else sticking with me to be honest.

I think you're right that at some point extreme negativity puts the audience off, but identifying when that is the case seems hard - people claim they don't like that sort of campaigning, but it's easier to remember, and I don't think politicians would do it so much if it did not usually work.

On the subject of union links, the lack of frequent militant action really hurts the Tories there. Bankers and other rich folk are always ready targets to be hated and the Tories painted as in their pocket, but it's harder to fear union fatcats today, even if the top bosses contain some dinosaurs among them.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

chestnut said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Who to ?

And the bbc it seems.

I'm basically agreeing. I suspect that 90+% of people don't even know who the man is.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Tele gets ahead of itself

"Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, was yesterday campaigning in South Thanet, the constituency where Mr Farage is standing.
    Mr Johnson said that Ukip supporters are returning to the Tory Party as they start “focussing” on the “choice” between Mr Cameron and Mr Johnson.
    "

He is getting ahead of himself, the Tory leadership campaign doesn't start until September.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,329
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

A Westminster Village story if ever there was one. Anything to get Ed being the puppet of a couple of fishy Scots off the BBC news, eh?
    Well, Labour need to do to something - anything - to counter this horrific narrative that's breaking out. The over-arching image of this election is set to be Miliband as the befuddled stooge of Scotland's odd couple.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Good post.
    No-one is complaining, if I was a Scot I would probably vote for them myself as they will screw the rest for all they can get.

But that is not the issue and you know that.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

The 50 SNP MPs are going to be interesting. They will not be the robots that never criticise the dear leader. They will have their heads turned by the bright lights of the Smoke, a lot may go off message, out of boredom or naivity.

They care passionately for Scotland and care little for the Union, yet will spend their time on Union matters and will have little power over Scottish affairs. It is a recipie for trouble, as much for the SNP as it is for the rest of us.

But that is the Union that Scots voted for. Democracy is cruel sometimes.
  • Options

I doubt Grant will be in the next Tory cabinet. It won't shift a single vote. But what a prat.

All parties have their chancers, not all of them leave an audit trail.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

Well, Labour need to do to something - anything - to counter this horrific narrative that's breaking out. The over-arching image of this election is set to be Miliband as the befuddled stooge of Scotland's odd couple.
    Agreed - amazing really - they say a weeks a long time in politics - the next few days could turn out to be the time the election changed towards the conservatives
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

Salmond has been hidden for a week.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

Didn't he save someone from jumping out a window a few days ago?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    There's no doubt UKIP support is being squeezed by the SNP surge, indirectly.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

In the same way Kippers complain constantly about not getting the things they want even though the majority of the country has voted for non-Kipper parties; we intellectually understand the choice they have made (eg not voting Kipper), but still vociferously explain why we think that is a mistake. I'm desperate for the Union to remain together, so I'd prefer it if Scotland voted for parties other than the SNP - it's totally legitimate of them to do so, and it gives a mandate for the SNP to do whatever the hell they want as a result, but I and anyone else in the country is free to complain about how it affects the rest of us, particularly as the SNP's impact is quite different from that of SLAB, and they can freely ignore us to do what is best for them. After the complaints we'll all see if we can work something out later, but this pretence that is somehow now permitted to comment up on the choices of voters in other parts of the country is bloody ridiculous.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

The 50 SNP MPs are going to be interesting. They will not be the robots that never criticise the dear leader. They will have their heads turned by the bright lights of the Smoke, a lot may go off message, out of boredom or naivity.

They care passionately for Scotland and care little for the Union, yet will spend their time on Union matters and will have little power over Scottish affairs. It is a recipie for trouble, as much for the SNP as it is for the rest of us.

But that is the Union that Scots voted for. Democracy is cruel sometimes.
    Seems to me that Scottish people generally wanted to stay part of Britain, but were fed up with being dictated to by Tories in Westminster

The Tories, and Labour were desperate for the Union to remain

The result is we have the union intact but the Scots have decided to make sure they hold Westminster's feet to the fire, by having enough SNP MPs to cause trouble for a Tory govt, or hold sway over a Labour one.

Good on them I say
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Good post.

Yep, it's a puzzle why the Tories wanted to maintain the Union. I don't blame them in the slightest for using the line of attack - they would be mad not to as it clearly resonates - but what I don't get is why they were so keen on Scotland to stay: they have clearly given up on ever being a force there again, they know they face a struggle to win a majority with Scotland in the equation and it's not as if Scotland is a huge net contributor economically. If they are still convinced Unionists how do they show that to the Scots post-GE when their campaign is basically all about telling right wing English people how dreadful the 75% of Scots are who vote Labour and SNP?

• Options
    Thursday 7th May will probably result in the most amazing number of high profile mps from all parties being ejected from the HOC.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Stark_Dawning

'Well, Labour need to do to something - anything - to counter this horrific narrative that's breaking out. '

Dave wins the independence referendum, the SNP wipes out Labour in Scotland and the thought of the SNP propping up Labour at Westminster does the rest.

Pure comedy gold.
  • Options
    Woolfe bridges the gap between Carswell and Farage tbh.
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited April 2015
    You can practically feel the desperation emanating from the Conservatives and their right-wing press allies to find some anti-Miliband angle that will resonate with the public. Flop sweat is never appealing. It's going to be fun to watch The Mail, Telegraph, Sun and Times becoming increasingly unhinged as election day approaches.

FWIW, I agree the Grant Schapps stuff is a non-story, but it's an amusing non-story.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    So since Saturday we've had:

Con 4% leads with Opinium and Lord Ashcroft

Con 2% lead with ICM

Con 1% lead with YouGov

Something starting to happen?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

what I don't get is why they were so keen on Scotland to stay:

Because they believe in the Union.

they have clearly given up on ever being a force there again

Bollocks

Apart from that, good post
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Con 2% lead with ICM

Con 1% lead with YouGov

Blue Dawn? :D
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

You can practically feel the desperation emanating from the Conservatives and their right-wing press allies to find some anti-Miliband angle that will resonate with the public. Flop sweat is never appealing. It's going to be fun to watch The Mail, Telegraph, Sun and Times becoming increasingly unhinged as election day approaches.

FWIW, I agree the Grant Schapps stuff is a non-story, but it's an amusing non-story.

They have found it - the catalyst was the challengers debate where Nicola Sturgeon ruled the roost
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Con 2% lead with ICM

Con 1% lead with YouGov

They are down 5% on like for like polls so far this week
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

I don't think it's a non-story. I think it's a non-election story. But post-election, I expect Shapps' Tory career to stall rather dramatically.
  • Options
    isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Con 2% lead with ICM

Con 1% lead with YouGov

4% of that due to ICM?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited April 2015
    @Speedy

'I remember nothing of any policy proposals that the Tories might have announced, just the attack stuff.'

Really, for someone that supposedly follows politics closely I find that statement amazing or is that the UKIP script ?
  • Options
    The wiki thing re grant Shapps in labour's press, mirror and grauniad, could have been run anytime so presume this was a shelf story when needed to move the media off another subject? I wonder what else all the parties have in reserve before may 7th.
  • Options
    Interesting point on the 50 new nat MPs - there will be some colourful types in there who were not expecting to win...
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Con 2% lead with ICM

Con 1% lead with YouGov

4% of that due to ICM?
    Yes, but it hardly helps the cause to dismiss that, as it was being hailed as a breakthrough when the 39% poll came out, and many Tories found ways of substantiating the 39%

Even if I let you dismiss the one you don't like, the Tories are -1 on the week.. I don't see how that can be hailed as some sort of step in the right direction
  • Options

The wiki thing re grant Shapps in labour's press, mirror and grauniad, could have been run anytime so presume this was a shelf story when needed to move the media off another subject? I wonder what else all the parties have in reserve before may 7th.

They are not able to keep it off Sky or the BBC which are far more important than the print press
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

what I don't get is why they were so keen on Scotland to stay:

Because they believe in the Union.

they have clearly given up on ever being a force there again

Bollocks

Apart from that, good post

Expertly argued.

Not sure you can claim 75% of Scotland's electorate is intent on inflicting misery on voters across the UK and then hope to rebuild your brand and appeal in Scotland. We shall see. Or maybe not, if the Scots just decide they are better off out of a country governed by a party that is prepared to portray so many of them as the enemy.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Since we have entered the silly season of political attacks and mud wrestling, I leave you tonight with one of the worst attack ad of the 21st century:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6CUSEPPKzU

Goodnight.
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

I don't think it's a non-story. I think it's a non-election story. But post-election, I expect Shapps' Tory career to stall rather dramatically.
    Hasn't harmed Chuka....
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

From the perspective of winning the election the Tories look to have gold to me. Labour do not have an answer because there is no answer: they cannot stop the SNP supporting them and that is going to worry 35% plus of the electorate in England. From the perspective of then holding the Union together, I am not sure it is going to be helpful. Maybe the Tories have just given up on it. The SNP must be loving it.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    edited April 2015
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

GIN1138 said:

Con 2% lead with ICM

Con 1% lead with YouGov

4% of that due to ICM?
    Yes, but it hardly helps the cause to dismiss that, as it was being hailed as a breakthrough when the 39% poll came out, and many Tories found ways of substantiating the 39%

Even if I let you dismiss the one you don't like, the Tories are -1 on the week.. I don't see how that can be hailed as some sort of step in the right direction
    1. From what I remember most people thought the ICM Con 39% poll was OTT and expected them to report a reduced Con lead the following week. Which is exactly what has happened.

Critical point here is that ICM continues to show Con ahead.

2. It''s only Tuesday. ;)

• Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154
    edited April 2015
    TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

Nope, the big Media beasts had other interests. They thought John Major making a fool of himself was more newsworthy. Oh and Tebbit got an honourable mention in advocating Scots Tories vote Labour to keep SNP out. Poor Ruthie stabbed in the back as she tried to hold the line. I guess they might be sitting down trying forlornly to figure out which ones aren't Unite Left wing fanatics.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956

isam said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Good post.

Yep, it's a puzzle why the Tories wanted to maintain the Union. I don't blame them in the slightest for using the line of attack - they would be mad not to as it clearly resonates - but what I don't get is why they were so keen on Scotland to stay: they have clearly given up on ever being a force there again, they know they face a struggle to win a majority with Scotland in the equation and it's not as if Scotland is a huge net contributor economically. If they are still convinced Unionists how do they show that to the Scots post-GE when their campaign is basically all about telling right wing English people how dreadful the 75% of Scots are who vote Labour and SNP?

Heart over head dear boy. Patriotism before politics. We believe in the good done by the Union; the security, the shared history, culture and prosperity it has facillitated. Opposing nationalists is entirely consistent with this. Opposing weak socialist leaders who could be unduly influenced by nationalists is entirely consistent with this. Conservatives believe that all should appreciate be proud of the Union, not agitate against it - and we'll always speak out on this issue.

Incidentally, some pretty desperate smeary stuff re: Shapps. It was obvious that Labour were worried when Darling had to go all over Today this morning, soon it will be Jonah Brown and we'll know for sure they are in real trouble. Sub 200 labour seats, anyone?
  • Options

Oliver_PB said:

From the perspective of winning the election the Tories look to have gold to me. Labour do not have an answer because there is no answer: they cannot stop the SNP supporting them and that is going to worry 35% plus of the electorate in England. From the perspective of then holding the Union together, I am not sure it is going to be helpful. Maybe the Tories have just given up on it. The SNP must be loving it.

Maybe Dave and Nicola both have wry smiles tonight
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Said no voter ever.

Nope, the big Media beasts had other interests. They thought John Major making a fool of himself was more newsworthy. Oh and Tebbit got an honourable mention in advocating Scots Tories vote Labour to keep SNP out. Poor Ruthie stabbed in the back as she tried to hold the line.
    Where is he then ? His ego must be smarting.

Meanwhile no referendum anytime soon

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/oilandgas/11553769/BP-sees-massive-shock-for-North-Sea-as-oil-glut-deepens.html
This discussion has been closed.