Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP in Dudley N, where the Tories have had candidate troub

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Are all the people claiming to be "brought to tears" by Charles Walker out of their minds?

Anyone else sick to death of no-mark tory backbenchers valuing their 15 minutes in the sun more than what's right for their party?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tyson said:

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

Are all the people claiming to be "brought to tears" by Charles Walker out of their minds?

I think they must be holding onions in handkerchiefs to their faces.
    They should steer clear of watching Bambi. There'd be slit wrists the minute mummy got shot.
    Anorak- how could you mention Bambi's mother?
    I am still traumatised by Bambi's mother and have never dared to revisit the film since. Ring of Bright Water being the other traumatic experience- I mean who could have made a film that just was so utterly gut wrenching and nihilistic. It makes me well up thinking about the end, and I haven't seen it for 40 years. I wouldn't dare.
    I was nearly thrown out of the cinema aged 5 when in a stage whisper that could be heard right around the auditorium I excitedly said: "this is the bit where Bambi's mother dies!".
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    On a related topic, can i say i met michael martin when he was still the Speaker, he was an utterly charming man, who was both elegant and self deprecating.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050

antifrank said:

Could someone give me a reason why I should care either way about who the Speaker of the House of Commons is?

And politicians wonder why the public think that they're all out of touch...

I doubt the public will care much, it will be all about the co-pilot today
    The public won't give a toss about the Bercow affair one way or the other. But Cameron hardly sends his troops away with a spring in their step, and the journos will think less of Cameron and his merry band of Bullingdon lite bullies. Cameron has self harmed today. It may appear to be a scratch, but this is one that could become infected.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    MaxPB said:

What a speech and what massive misjudgement by Gove/Hague/Cameron

You only do things like this if you are certain of winning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32070175

Odd that having pummelled Labour yesterday at PMQs they then lift Labour spirits the next day.
    Indeed. What a waste of time this whole affair has been. I'm amazed that Crosby allowed it to happen. Another day wasted not talking about Labour's economic incompetence vs Tory growth after Dave's pledge to stand down in 2020.
    Do you really think that Crosby controls parliamentary business?

• Options
    There's only one film that has made me cry.

The Wrath of Khan, I was about six, and I was gutted when Pointy met his maker.

Fifty Shades of Grey made me cry recently, but that was tears of laugher mostly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Total miscalculation from the whips office. They must have though they had the numbers. Still, naughty to force it through on the last day, when other members are away.

Not a good show.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    SMukesh said:

ROFL

Cowardly Cameron and Gove couldnt organise a drinking event in a place where alcoholic beverages are brewed.

Let alone run a country 41 days to EICIPM
  • Options

SMukesh said:

ROFL

Cowardly Cameron and Gove couldnt organise a drinking event in a place where alcoholic beverages are brewed.

Talking about parliamentary shenanigans. are labour still preventing that report by the health select committee?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    antifrank said:

tyson said:

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

They should steer clear of watching Bambi. There'd be slit wrists the minute mummy got shot.
    I am still traumatised by Bambi's mother and have never dared to revisit the film since. Ring of Bright Water being the other traumatic experience- I mean who could have made a film that just was so utterly gut wrenching and nihilistic. It makes me well up thinking about the end, and I haven't seen it for 40 years. I wouldn't dare.
    I was nearly thrown out of the cinema aged 5 when in a stage whisper that could be heard right around the auditorium I excitedly said: "this is the bit where Bambi's mother dies!".
    Serial killer alert :)
  • Options
    I think that quite a few Tory MP's in safe seats would be more than happy for their party to lose the GE.

Who wants to win in an age where people expect government to do everything?

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    A grown man crying over procedural amendments?

Isn't that the definition of a soft shite?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862

Anorak said:

GIN1138 said:

It's quite pathetic, isn't it.
    I'm relieved I'm not the only one thinking that. It was mildly moving, and obviously passionate, but reducing grown men to tears?! Sheesh.
    It's 'hide half an onion in the hanky' time.

Labour are enjoying the moment - and who wouldn't after the complete and utter spanking Miliband bought upon himself yesterday.

Expecting a Dave actually answered a PMQs question bounce in tonights YG.

Desperate times among some PB Tories methinks.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

@Richard_Nabavi I know, but I want to hear Mr Palmer's views on it :)

On what, sorry?
    That the largest party should always form part of the Government :)
    Nah. If you get parties A and B who are comparatively and party C which is wildly different (think Front National), you can't reasonably insist that A+B include C.

In Britain, of course, the divisions are not that sharp (said he, polishing his options).

So, for example, if you had parties A, B, C and D that wanted to maintain the United Kingdom, and party E that wanted to destroy it, it is reasonable to expect parties A to D to work together than to boost the anti-UK party? I would agree with that, and hope Labour refuse to work with the SNP should there be a hung parliament.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    However the UKIP candidate looks like a loser too:
    "'Hitler achieved a great deal': Ukip MEP sparks anger as he tells its youth wing to copy Nazi leader
    Bill Etheridge told Ukip youth conference members to emulate Nazi leader
    Lauded Hitler as 'the most magnetic and forceful public speaker in history'
    Comes after the West Midlands MEP published a book celebrating golliwogs"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2720860/Hitler-achieved-great-deal-Ukip-MEP-sparks-anger-tells-youth-wing-copy-Nazi-leader.html

What are the odds on Labour?
  • Options

notme said:

Odd that having pummelled Labour yesterday at PMQs they then lift Labour spirits the next day.
    It's as if they dont really want to win!
    I think that quite a few Tory MP's in safe seats would be more than happy for their party to lose the GE.

Very much so. If you arent likely to get a shiny seat in Government, then being in Government is grim. Opposition is easy. I think opposition is really easy for Labour. They can rile, they can express moral outrage with impunity.

Social and economic changes and problems that are largely outside the control of a Government, or to be frank, a government might not be the solution, you can blame on the evil toff tories.

They talk with passion about things the baby eating Tory government is doing, which they voted for in the first place, or that was something that they know they would have done themselves.

You dont need a nuanced answer as to why welfare reform is the right thing to do, but there are a few changes that could be made to alleviate the negative impact. You just shout ban the bedroom tax and sanctions.

You dont need a nuanced answer to the changes in the workplace which have meant that many people going into work after a significant period of economic activity are only getting temporary contracts.
    Ban zero hour contracts.

Or that in London and a few other areas there is a particular problem caused by increase demand for social housing.
    Build council houses and its all fatcher's fault.

You can talk about how someone has rickets, or people visiting foodbanks, or homelessness all show that the people in government are evil and nasty. It makes you feel good.

Blair taught Labour that it wasnt good enough about feeling good about criticising others. You have to manup and show people you have the ability to get your hands dirty and take the burden of Government.
  • Options
    As entertaining as this all is, anyone thinking this will have more impact than Miliband "following through" on stage this evening is deluded :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Stupidity and hubris.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

taffys said:

I wonder what Bercow's constituents think of him..

I'm one - I rate him as my mp.
    So far today you've said nice things about Bercow and Reckless.

I think I might have to expel you from the The Dry but not obsessed by the Gays, Europe & Immigrants New Tory Party if you carry on like this.

Do you not think this party of ours is small enough already?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Pulpstar said:

As entertaining as this all is, anyone thinking this will have more impact than Miliband "following through" on stage this evening is deluded :)

Is that why he's hiding his lower body behind a lectern?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

tyson said:

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

I had to leave the cinema when I howled and howled with terror at the scene in the Wizard of Oz when the little girl first goes into the forest. To this day, I've never seen the film the whole way through and I can still remember the horror I felt.

• Options

"'Hitler achieved a great deal': Ukip MEP sparks anger as he tells its youth wing to copy Nazi leader

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2720860/Hitler-achieved-great-deal-Ukip-MEP-sparks-anger-tells-youth-wing-copy-Nazi-leader.html

3-10
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

tyson said:

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

I had to leave the cinema when I howled and howled with terror at the scene in the Wizard of Oz when the little girl first goes into the forest. To this day, I've never seen the film the whole way through and I can still remember the horror I felt.

I walked out of the cinema after about ten mins when I was five during Superman because it was boring, and have still never watched it

Cried at Watership Down around that time, and Champ
  • Options
    DavidL said:

taffys said:

I think I might have to expel you from the The Dry but not obsessed by the Gays, Europe & Immigrants New Tory Party if you carry on like this.

I know, there's four of us, and we all know what Gangs of Fours can do.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    perdix said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. What a waste of time this whole affair has been. I'm amazed that Crosby allowed it to happen. Another day wasted not talking about Labour's economic incompetence vs Tory growth after Dave's pledge to stand down in 2020.
    Do you really think that Crosby controls parliamentary business?

At this point in the electoral cycle I imagine he has some level of input. If Gove and Hague went rogue today and did this without Crosby I imagine there are going to be a raised voices.

As horrible as it sounds the Tories are lucky that this pilot sent 150 people to their deaths today as that will dominate the new cycles until tonight when it is Dave vs Ed.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

taffys said:

The name also seems to have changed. Who authorised that? :p
  • Options

Pathetically predictable smearing
  • Options
    Catching up on the airliner story. Absolutely dreadful news (and actually my worst fear about flying). The telegraph graphic suggests there is a keypad which can be used to open the door from the outside. Was this overridden, or did the crew simply forget about it?
  • Options

Fifty Shades of Grey made me cry recently, but that was tears of laugher mostly.

Last scene of The Railway Children (the Agutter version) - on the station platform: always has me welling up......
  • Options

It's Farage/Putin all over again.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

tyson said:

Anorak said:

Sean_F said:

GIN1138 said:

I like everyone of my generation suffered permanent psychological damage from the memory of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's 'Child-Catcher'.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

SMukesh said:

ROFL

The country is in a terrible state, if only the UK was doing as well as France
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32064575

Balls and Osborne gaming themselves into a real stalemate :)
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Cyclefree said:

Last scene of The Railway Children (the Agutter version) - on the station platform: always has me welling up......
    I admit to man-tears at the end of LotR-RotK, the bit where Aragorn tells Bilbo - "You bow for no man", and then bends his knee.

• Options
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

taffys said:

The name also seems to have changed. Who authorised that? :p
    As Directly Elected Dictator Primus inter pares of our party, I can do whatever I like.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The co-pilot of the Germanwings flight that crashed in the French Alps, named as Andreas Lubitz, appeared to want to "destroy the plane", officials said.

Mr Robin said there was "absolute silence in the cockpit" as the pilot fought to re-enter it.

Passengers could be heard screaming just before the crash, he added.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Catching up on the airliner story. Absolutely dreadful news (and actually my worst fear about flying). The telegraph graphic suggests there is a keypad which can be used to open the door from the outside. Was this overridden, or did the crew simply forget about it?

It can be overridden from the cockpit for a set time period.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I see I'm not the only one obsessed with coming up with Balls gags in headlines.

Why have Osborne and Balls neutered themselves?

Balls, neutered I mean really?
  • Options
    "'Hitler achieved a great deal':

This is the problem Ian Kershaw comes up against in his biography. The contrast between Hitler's utterly noxious personality and the momentous nature of the events he personally set in train.

A bit like Milton trying to portray Satan in Paradise Lost.
  • Options

RobD said:

Do you have the specifics on this? The telegraph article was vague and said it only unlocked the door for five seconds. If there is a time limit, you would think they would make it shorter than the time taken to descend from cruising altitude to the ground!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I admit to man-tears at the end of LotR-RotK, the bit where Aragorn tells Bilbo - "You bow for no man", and then bends his knee.

Frodo?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Mr. W, this isn't a matter of legislation, though. If they vote against the Speaker but the Speaker survives, the individuals voting against may find themselves at a disadvantage. Surely that's something you can see?

Perhaps you like to name MP's who have been so disadvantaged since say .... WWII ?

• Options

Cyclefree said:

You mean you didn't cry during Ben Affleck's Daredevil?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Watching the clip on the BBC news site of the announcement of the result, Bercow's contemptuous stare in the direction of the Government front bench coupled by the menacing licking of his lip was chilling, like something out of The Shining.

He'll be even more unbearable in the next Parliament now.

If only he'd lose his seat...
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 2m2 minutes ago
    Labour sources admit they would not have got MPs back in sufficient numbers to save #Bercow without time from 3 urgent questions he granted
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2015
    Afternoon all.

Just read the latest on the Germanwings plane crash, BBC now reporting that the Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' – Those poor people; the mind boggles as to what motivation was behind such horror.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Do you have the specifics on this? The telegraph article was vague and said it only unlocked the door for five seconds. If there is a time limit, you would think they would make it shorter than the time taken to descend from cruising altitude to the ground!
    Post #956.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/558654-airbus-a320-crashed-southern-france-48.html
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed that this:

PS It is of course true that Labour has said it would increase the very top rate of income tax from 45% to 50% for the top 1% of earners - those earning more than £150,000 a year. But it is moot whether this will in the long term raise a few billion or just a few hundred million pounds a year, because this group are so skilled at legally avoiding taxes.

Made it into the article. Finally the BBC have recognised that high marginal tax rates are counter productive. It's a shame it is in an article that only anoraks who know this already will read.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Labour sources admit they would not have got MPs back in sufficient numbers to save #Bercow without time from 3 urgent questions he granted

Shenanigans on both sides ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

TGOHF said:

Simon Carr ‏@simonsketch 1m1 minute ago
    Why Labour was so angry, and why John Bercow looked so relieved was because they all knew he couldn't survive a secret vote for re-election.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @simonsketch: Why Labour was so angry, and why John Bercow looked so relieved was because they all knew he couldn't survive a secret vote for re-election.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. W, have there been any such measures to remove a Speaker? If not, there's no comparison to make.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/558654-airbus-a320-crashed-southern-france-48.html
    Thanks. I had thought there was this kind of mechanism on a couple of threads ago.

This is the thought of thing that should be able to be overridden somehow, perhaps via the satellite connection to the plane (although issues of hacking there).
  • Options
    Bercow is a speaker of his times.

If you want to find fault, blame the times and not the speaker.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

It's Farage/Putin all over again.
    I guess that they like elected dictators.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

You mean you didn't cry during Ben Affleck's Daredevil?
    I'll admit to that too, but for very different reasons.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Frodo?
    Yeah that's what I meant... Mind on other things
  • Options
    A truly dreadful way to finish off a successful Parliament. I really don't know what the Government were thinking about trying to put such an important matter through on the last day.

Bercow is a creep and using the procedure of urgent questions to allow Labour to ingather enough supporters is par for the course. His future is after all what is important (to him).

But if you are going to try underhand tricks to get rid of an irritant for goodness sake make sure they work. Have these lot never read The Prince?

Sad that William Hague ended this way. Deserved better.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed that this:

PS It is of course true that Labour has said it would increase the very top rate of income tax from 45% to 50% for the top 1% of earners - those earning more than £150,000 a year. But it is moot whether this will in the long term raise a few billion or just a few hundred million pounds a year, because this group are so skilled at legally avoiding taxes.

Made it into the article. Finally the BBC have recognised that high marginal tax rates are counter productive. It's a shame it is in an article that only anoraks who know this already will read.
    Well - any idea where Labour will get the tens of billions they need to avoid cuts (not to mention the additional £8 billion the NHS is screaming for)? To lose one tax (VAT) is unfortunate, to lose another (NI) smacks of carelessness.

And even if they do - how will they be able to afford the SNP price - £180 billion - that works out at £4.5 billion a vote.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

Thanks. I had thought there was this kind of mechanism on a couple of threads ago.

This is the thought of thing that should be able to be overridden somehow, perhaps via the satellite connection to the plane (although issues of hacking there).
    That assumes global satellite coverage. There are great swathes of the globe which don't receive adequate GPS signals, for example.

And how would the airline control centre know to deactivate the door lock?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    RobD said:

RobD said:

The Guardian have this:

"The captain, who had left the cockpit briefly, appears to have punched in an emergency number into the cockpit door to gain re-entry, but the co-pilot deployed a five-minute override."
  • Options

Afternoon all.

Just read the latest on the Germanwings plane crash, BBC now reporting that the Co-pilot 'wanted to destroy plane' – Those poor people; the mind boggles as to what motivation was behind such horror.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32063587

Apparently, he had taken time off for depression.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited March 2015
    I used to be very stalwart, I didn't even cry at the finale episode of MASH.

Now I cry at TV adverts involving furry quadrupeds. It's rather bizarre, but oddly satisfying.

However, I detest those Starving African Children With Big Eyes and the other charity ones with Limping Donkeys/Serious Voice Over et al - its so so crassly done.

Cyclefree said:

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    edited March 2015
    Scott_P said:

@simonsketch: Why Labour was so angry, and why John Bercow looked so relieved was because they all knew he couldn't survive a secret vote for re-election.

That's the main reason I think he'll be gone within the year.

At the moment people are focusing on the fact he survived the vote (by the smallest of margins) but he effectively, publicly lost the support of a huge swathe of the House today.

He is in big, big trouble.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited March 2015
    USA rapidly losing influence as first the Saudis then the Egyptians take matters into their own hands in Yemen.

Note: The US pulled it's troops out of Yemen a few days ago in another pathetic Obama retreat.

http://news.yahoo.com/four-egypt-warships-enter-suez-en-route-gulf-114057527.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed that this:

But the solutions to whatever problems we are in surely cant be more taxation? We are already far above what we would normally be in terms of tax take from the economy. But yes, the conservatives will be more happy than labour at having boxed labour in to not increase national insurance.

Gordon Brown increased NI by 10% in 2002 and sold it very successfully as a means to boost nhs spending.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited March 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

It's very difficult isn't it - basically you have two systems - one that can never be opened against the wishes of the occupant and one that can always be issued against the wishes of the occupant. No matter what you do you will end up in one of these two configurations.

And at the end of the day, the weak link will always be the human operator (either because they can keep the door shut or force the door open)
  • Options
    Those who voted against Cameron and Hague

Jack of Kent (@JackofKent)
    26/03/2015 15:13
    @tracey_crouch Well done on voting down this grubby motion today: pic.twitter.com/D4bac5xqez
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

Why Labour was so angry, and why John Bercow looked so relieved was because they all knew he couldn't survive a secret vote for re-election.
    23 Conservatives openly voted against the government ensuring the defeat. Would they have done differently in secret?

I think not.

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

That assumes global satellite coverage. There are great swathes of the globe which don't receive adequate GPS signals, for example.

I had thought GPS was pretty much anywhere? You are right it would be expensive to put up a big satellite network to allow for constant communications, but if each airline chipped in...

If the control centre could deactivate the lock at any time, I'd imagine the crew would be able to communicate with them at any time.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

If you make it possible for a sane pilot to force his way back into the cockpit controlled by his suicidal co-pilot then you also make it possible for a jihadi terrorist to do the same. There's no perfect system because people are not perfect.

Perhaps the balance is the wrong way round following the 9/11 attacks, but even if the Pilot had gained access to the cockpit he might not have been able to stop the co-pilot from crashing the plane in this instance.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

The Guardian have this:

"The captain, who had left the cockpit briefly, appears to have punched in an emergency number into the cockpit door to gain re-entry, but the co-pilot deployed a five-minute override."
    Probably just not enough time before the plane crashes. How absolutely horrifying for those involved.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I used to be very stalwart, I didn't even cry at the finale episode of MASH.

Now I cry at TV adverts involving furry quadrupeds. It's rather bizarre, but oddly satisfying.

However, I detest those Starving African Children With Big Eyes and the other charity ones with Limping Donkeys/Serious Voice Over et al - its so so crassly done.

Cyclefree said:

I have got to admit that I have got more lachrymose as I have got older as well.

I still remember being in a cinema as a young child when Bambi's mother became venison. There was stunned silence as 200-300 kids slowly processed what had happened (thank god antifrank wasn't there). Then there was a sob. And another and then all hell broke loose. At the risk of being labelled another serial killer in the making I found the reaction (not the incident itself I hasten to emphasise) quite funny.

I wonder if any film maker for kids would be so brave today?
  • Options
    JackW said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

23 Conservatives openly voted against the government ensuring the defeat. Would they have done differently in secret?

I think not.

I think Peter Bone, Philip Davies and Graham Brady would be very disappointed to have to vote against the Gov't in secret... on anything :)
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Mr. W, have there been any such measures to remove a Speaker? If not, there's no comparison to make.

You miss the point.

Open elections for the Speaker have effectively changed little since WWII and there is no evidence that MP's who voted for other candidates or didn't vote for the Speaker have been disadvantaged .... unless in those immortal words - "you know different?"

• Options
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

It's very difficult isn't it - basically you have two systems - one that can never be opened against the wishes of the occupant and one that can always be issued against the wishes of the occupant. No matter what you do you will end up in one of these two configurations.

And at the end of the day, the weak link will always be the human operator (either because they can keep the door shut or force the door open)
    Well he probably shouldn't have been left in the cockpit alone. That would have significantly decreased the chances of him succeeding (unless he incapacitated whoever was in there with him). With this, and MH370, I think the airline industry need to think long and hard about constant real-time communication with their airplanes, and having the ability to override certain things (i.e. the door can be opened with two of the three parties agreeing - crew and control centre in the case of a suicidal pilot)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,023

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

If you make it possible for a sane pilot to force his way back into the cockpit controlled by his suicidal co-pilot then you also make it possible for a jihadi terrorist to do the same. There's no perfect system because people are not perfect.

Perhaps the balance is the wrong way round following the 9/11 attacks, but even if the Pilot had gained access to the cockpit he might not have been able to stop the co-pilot from crashing the plane in this instance.
    As mentioned earlier, I don't understand why a suicidal pilot would not just point the nose to the ground. Why put it on a long, slow descent?

I'd prefer to think incapacitation, but that cannot explain why the door override was operated. Which cannot be certain at the moment until (and maybe not even then) they get the FDR data.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

I agree there is a balance. Shame he was left on his own, which I don't think is normal for US airlines.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    In a measure to prevent terrorism, the passengers were subjected to actual terror :neutral:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

TGOHF said:

RobD said:

TGOHF said:

I think not.

I think Peter Bone, Philip Davies and Graham Brady would be very disappointed to have to vote against the Gov't in secret... on anything :)
    Plonkers like this lot and David Davis are why the Coalition has been so essential. If the Tories had won 15 more seats in 2010 Cameron would have been under pressure to go it alone and his life would have been a nightmare.

Unfortunately most of them will be back in the next Parliament and the same problem will apply.
  • Options
    Mr. L, in the first episode of Defenders of the Earth, Flash Gordon's wife gets killed by Ming.

Old cartoon, though more recent than Bambi [and there's a slight cop-out result, with the mother's 'soul' inhabiting the Defenders' computer, if I remember rightly].

James May's Toy Stories covered Airfix models, or something similar, and found the cover art had been ridiculously sanitised in recent years (exploding bombs and engines aflame being airbrushed out).
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    weejonnie said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm amazed that this:

Well - any idea where Labour will get the tens of billions they need to avoid cuts (not to mention the additional £8 billion the NHS is screaming for)? To lose one tax (VAT) is unfortunate, to lose another (NI) smacks of carelessness.

And even if they do - how will they be able to afford the SNP price - £180 billion - that works out at £4.5 billion a vote.
    By raising taxes you take spending power out of the economy which will hurt everyone.
    Labour recognise this since they did the opposite before the election by cutting VAT to boost spending (and not definitely not to bribe the electorate) so they must realise that extra taxes cut demand.
    In the above case it had the effect of bringing spending forward (on top of the govt bringing its own spending forward) so after the election demand fell anyway even as VAT went up.

What is important is to spend what we can afford. Brown increased spending by 50% in real terms between 200 and 2010. We cannot afford that. That is the point of cuts, to remove the structural deficit. The deficits and surpluses of the normal economic cycle have to take care of themselves, although given the size of our previous deficits we would, I suggest if 'prudent', need to run a structural surplus for a time as well.
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    I trust all the 23 Tory mps who supported Berkow get the complete whips sh1t bucket poured over them in the new parliament.

Berkow is a Brown stooge put in place to annoy the Tories. But if there is hung parliament the role becomes massively powerful.

Labour will be laughing their socks off knowing he's still in place.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    taffys said:

Bercow is a speaker of his times.

If you want to find fault, blame the times and not the speaker.

Feeble excuse. He is a self centred partisan Speaker, a creature of the Labour Party. The issue anyway is a secret ballot. Hardly earth shattering.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Mr. L, in the first episode of Defenders of the Earth, Flash Gordon's wife gets killed by Ming.

Old cartoon, though more recent than Bambi [and there's a slight cop-out result, with the mother's 'soul' inhabiting the Defenders' computer, if I remember rightly].

James May's Toy Stories covered Airfix models, or something similar, and found the cover art had been ridiculously sanitised in recent years (exploding bombs and engines aflame being airbrushed out).

Wife? I remember "Flash, Flash, I love you but we only have 24 hours to save the earth."

One of the great lines and so much better than I have a headache.
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Whaever happened to the vote promised by Hague on EVEL?
  • Options
    saddo said:

I trust all the 23 Tory mps who supported Berkow get the complete whips sh1t bucket poured over them in the new parliament.

Berkow is a Brown stooge put in place to annoy the Tories. But if there is hung parliament the role becomes massively powerful.

Quite alot of those 23 couldn't give a hoot what the whips think.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Why is CNN broadcasting an internal security video showing the security systems of cockpit doors ????

I mean seriously they just did FFS,!!

WTF?

Stunned

• Options
    Mr. L, Defenders of the Earth, man! The cartoon, not the film!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMKBQ3uu1Tc

Hmm. It's set in 2015, now I check the Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenders_of_the_Earth
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

I had thought GPS was pretty much anywhere?
    Weirdly it isn't. The signals tend to be concentrated in areas where air, sea and land traffic is normally routed rather than evenly around the globe. That's why for example the Royal Navy still use traditional methods to navigate, with GPS as a backup rather than the other way around. You'll still find navigators with notebooks and pencil lines on paper charts manoeuvring warships.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Moses_ said:

Why is CNN broadcasting an internal security video showing the security systems of cockpit doors ????

I mean seriously they just did FFS,!!

WTF?

Stunned

Why shouldn't they?

You can get instructions for how to make any kind of bomb on-line. It's not like a terrorist wouldn't be able to get this information if they wanted it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Frodo?
    Balbo Biggins :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

In a measure to prevent terrorism, the passengers were subjected to actual terror :neutral:

Indeed, Pulpstar.

It's not the only instance of well-intentioned security measures having the wrong effect.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    edited March 2015
    saddo said:

I suspect people (and Bercow himself?) rather over state how much support Bercow has with Labour.

Sure, lefties enjoy the fact the Bercow is Speaker and the Tories hate him. Also, he did largely have Labour to thank for getting the job in the first place, but overall I doubt most people in the Labour Party could really care less whether Bercow or Lindsay Hoyle is in the Chair...

As we saw by the way Brown, when it was expedient, served up Speaker Martin's head on a plate, Labour Party patronage can turn on a sixpence...
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Post #956.

As mentioned earlier, I don't understand why a suicidal pilot would not just point the nose to the ground.
    I'm not sure fly by wire would allow you to undertake what would be considered an extreme manoeuvre - the flight computer takes over and levels off the aircraft.
  • Options
    You'd think that one of those daft trolleys with enough weight behind it really ought to be able to pop the door. Maybe trickier when the plane is in a steep descent admittedly.

Just a horrible story. I really don't like flying at the best of times.
  • Options
    Telegraph says the pilot took 6 months off because of depression. Lawyers rubbing hands..
  • Options
    Mr. 1000, you can find out how to make bombs online. That doesn't mean it's wise, or acceptable, for news organisations to effectively provide a how-to guide for any watching lunatic [some idiot news organisation, I forget which, provided a helpful travel guide to any moron trying to reach ISIS via Turkey a few weeks ago].
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    WOW..Labour won a major victory in the HOC today.. Did they stop a war..did they stop a hospital closure..did they stop a major tax rise..nooo..apparently they stopped a secret ballot for the Speakers position...A magnificent victory indeed ..a grateful nation should cheer...oh dear..meanwhile some sick effer kills 150 people . Saudi starts a war with its neighbour and Greece is about to walk alone..Good to know that Labour is looking after the nations deepest concerns
  • Options
    DavidL said:

You'd think that one of those daft trolleys with enough weight behind it really ought to be able to pop the door. Maybe trickier when the plane is in a steep descent admittedly.

Just a horrible story. I really don't like flying at the best of times.

Some of these cockpit doors are made of Kevlar.

As a very nervous frequent flyer I'm going via ships in future.
This discussion has been closed.