Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight from Marf

Comments

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,233
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not surprised at Labour's tactics today. This is the party that sought to smear Cameron's wife and child and Osborne's wife.

To me that was despicable. Seems they haven't changed.

"Labour is nothing if not a moral crusade........"

They really are hypocritical pond life.
    After the catastrophe of Blair's Iraq war, I'm not sure any Labour politician should use the word "crusade".
    You never had any respect for Miliband anyway. Can the fake fury.
  • Options

Has Miliband repeated his Fink accusation outside the safe confines of Parliament yet?

I don't think he will dare. I wonder if this is a big mistake by EdM.
    Miliband accused Fink of involvement in tax avoidance, not of personally evading taxes. Though I can see why Fink is angry, I suspect CCHQ could do without headlines dominated by Tory tax cheats.
    It was pretty obvious what Miliband was trying to smear Fink with, and it wasn't avoidance.
    It's also pretty obvious what was actually said, courtesy of Hansard:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/commons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/90/#c90
    Well I don't know anything about the rights or wrongs of the case, DJ, but on reading what appears in Hansard I should say they are perfectly reasonable questions to be put by a LOTO to the PM.

What's the problem?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Is this really the headline Ed was aiming for?

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Telegraph front page: 'Tory donor: I'll sue over Miliband's 'dodgy' slur' http://t.co/mgPlJzfQV5
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Frankly it's wrong that smug union fat cats can make multi-million quid donations - one can only assume for the purchase of power and influence. Wrong, wrong, wrong again and still wrong.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

I am not surprised at Labour's tactics today. This is the party that sought to smear Cameron's wife and child and Osborne's wife.

To me that was despicable. Seems they haven't changed.

"Labour is nothing if not a moral crusade........"

They really are hypocritical pond life.
    After the catastrophe of Blair's Iraq war, I'm not sure any Labour politician should use the word "crusade".
    You never had any respect for Miliband anyway. Can the fake fury.
    Woops - apologies Sean - that was a response to purseybear
  • Options
    Cyclefree - I agree with everything you've put. Just wonder if this might bite in other ways. Think a moral line has been crossed and there are some people who might no longer sit on the fence re. Miliband. Maybe not. Just sense something has changed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2015
    Toms said:

AndyJS said:

The severance pay MPs get is a disgrace IMO. Nice to know Patrick Hall has already spent the £54,000 he received in 2010 on losing his seat in Bedford. Mike Hancock is on course to get it if he stands as an independent in Portsmouth South.

But maybe it's worth remembering that Patrick was classed by the Telegraph during the Parliament expenses scandal as---I think the term was---an "angel". That is to say, they didn't find any fiddling by him.
    The Telegraph's investigations were flawed and mismanaged. Their sole focus was on getting a scandal a day, and on a number occasions fingered MP's who actually hadn't really done anything wrong and on others completely missed what they were up to. Using them as a indication of angel or sinner can lead to some very dodgy conclusions.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

Labour back in to 21. My guess is 2 polls. One shows neck-and-neck or even slight Lab lead. The other is going to be big news somehow. NB that's guesswork not insider trading.

Maybe poll No.2. is tomorrow morning's?

I hope you all realise that a total of

ZERO POUNDS AND ZERO PENCE

has traded on Lab Majority at 20 or bigger on Betfair

there was £3 at 19.5 if that gets you excited

So you have all been talking about nothing happening for the last couple of hours or so
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Tomorrow's Telegraph front page: 'Tory donor: I'll sue over Miliband's 'dodgy' slur' http://t.co/mgPlJzfQV5

Yes, Tory...Donor....Dodgy...in the headline. He shoots, he scores.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Monksfield

'Frankly it's wrong that smug plutocrats like Fink can make 3 million quid donations - one can only assume for the purchase of power and influence. Wrong, wrong, wrong again and still wrong.'

But when smug plutocrats were giving millions to New Labour it was absolutely fine.

Cut the crap.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Cyclefree - I agree with everything you've put. Just wonder if this might bite in other ways. Think a moral line has been crossed and there are some people who might no longer sit on the fence re. Miliband. Maybe not. Just sense something has changed.

A few Tory back benchers should man up, and play the Parly Privilege game by the same rules.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

RodCrosby said:

Sean_F said:

Ipsos MORI is in the same ballpark as Lord Ashcroft, so I suspect that's a fair Conservative lead. If so, that would mean the Conservatives led with three out of four telephone pollsters.

Maybe the polling lead finally falling into line with the PM approval forecast?
    Do you think this makes sense of Cameron's comment in the HoC? Seemed an amazingly confident assertion: "that's why you're losing"? Or was that maybe bluster 'cos Miliband got under his skin.

Who knows.
    I think bluster is about the only weapon in Cameron's arsenal at the moment in fairness.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920

Ohh no..... have I missed another Ed Disaster. Another electoral earthquake of Mansion Tax riot proportions?

PB Hodges saying Labour/Miliband are a disgrace.......Dan would be proud of every last one of you.

I've been keeping an eye on something in the past few day's and what I've observed is that you are the only one who regularly post's about Dan Hodges....

Which means you, infact, ARE the PBHodges!!!!!!!

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

Good to see PB is full of rattled Tories tonight. Personally, I think the more light that is shone on the murky tax affairs of the rich and powerful of these Islands the better. This country is rotten - I rarely wish we were more like the States - but in the case of tax rules I do.

Frankly it's wrong that smug plutocrats like Fink can make 3 million quid donations - one can only assume for the purchase of power and influence. Wrong, wrong, wrong again and still wrong.

I am not a Tory. But current Labour policy seems to be the following:-

1. If you are a foreign citizen who has never lived in the UK (Stefano Pessina) you are avoiding UK tax. I imagine the Italian authorities must be furious that all those British people living in the UK are also avoiding Italian taxes.

2. If you go and work in another country and have a bank account there you are avoiding UK tax. Presumably all those foreigners coming here to work are also avoiding tax in their home countries.

3. If you are rich you must not donate to a political party. No doubt they will be repaying tomorrow all those loans they have received from rich people.

Labour are coming across as nasty and ignorant. Their rage against the Tories on tax - while it may be politically effective - seems much like Caliban, raging against the nastiness in their own party, given the way they sucked up to the rich when in power, their failure to take any steps at all to close loopholes and pursue tax evaders and their decision to hit the very poorest in society with the 100% increase in the tax rate paid by the lowest paid.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Miliband is a shit of the worst kind, reduced to smear because Labour has no policies. I reckon the amount of ordure that's going to be poured over Miliband and co is 10 x what the Sun poured over John Major.

As ye sow , so shall ye reap.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I was wondering what happened to Telegraph Blogs. Didn't occur to me they had been axed altogether.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Dodgy Dave was rumbled by the Labour leader today as a weak leader with poor judgement,linking the appointment of Lord Green with Andy Coulson.Colliding with Dave's dash for cash Tory donor affair,never has the party of the rich seemed more apposite.The fear of Miliband's increased strength is seen by the hysterical front pages of the Barclays/Murdoch/Dacre press barons.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

There's a Miliband ... Dodgy ... in the headline too. Shame.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

The severance pay MPs get is a disgrace IMO. Nice to know Patrick Hall has already spent the £54,000 he received in 2010 on losing his seat in Bedford. Mike Hancock is on course to get it if he stands as an independent in Portsmouth South.

But maybe it's worth remembering that Patrick was classed by the Telegraph during the Parliament expenses scandal as---I think the term was---an "angel". That is to say, they didn't find any fiddling by him.
    The Telegraph's investigations were flawed and mismanaged. Their sole focus was on getting a scandal a day, and on a number occasions fingered MP's who actually hadn't really done anything wrong and on others completely missed what they were up to. Using them as a indication of angel or sinner can lead to some very dodgy conclusions.
    Incidentally the Telegraph's decision to axe Telegraph blogs has proved to be spectacularly misjudged. It was fast becoming THE place to go to, for reasonably articulate rightwing opinion - yet they canned it, sacked all the journos, then realised they had lost trillions of visitors, and now the axemen have mostly themselves been axed, as a result.

One of the stupidest moves in the history of Fleet Street. Singularly dumb. Tsk.

I am sure you have a much better idea what is going on at the Telegraph, but from the outside looking in, it looks like a total clusterf##k.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    isam said:

Labour back in to 21. My guess is 2 polls. One shows neck-and-neck or even slight Lab lead. The other is going to be big news somehow. NB that's guesswork not insider trading.

has traded on Lab Majority
    Actually £10,092 traded since 15.55 today.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Probably. Tories on backfoot, being defensive about tax avoidance. Even if no substance, even if Miliband were to have to personally apologise, more people will remember an insinuation of wrong doing, that fits with many peoples' perception of rich people and Tories anyway, than the backtracking I would guess.
  • Options
    @maitlis: Stanley fink accuses ed miliband of defamatory comments. Will labour stand by them. #newsnight
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Monksfield

'Frankly it's wrong that smug plutocrats like Fink can make 3 million quid donations - one can only assume for the purchase of power and influence. Wrong, wrong, wrong again and still wrong.'

But when smug plutocrats were giving millions to New Labour it was absolutely fine.

Cut the crap.

Name the smug plutocrat that gave Labour 3 mill?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Ohh no..... have I missed another Ed Disaster. Another electoral earthquake of Mansion Tax riot proportions?

PB Hodges saying Labour/Miliband are a disgrace.......Dan would be proud of every last one of you.

I've been keeping an eye on something in the past few day's and what I've observed is that you are the only one who regularly post's about Dan Hodges....

Which means you, infact, ARE the PBHodges!!!!!!!

Mention King Dan very rarely. PB Hodges, now that is a different matter.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899

Scott_P said:

Surely the Mirror will lead with.

You thought the Tories were not dodgy tax avoiders? Fink again
  • Options

Miliband is a shit of the worst kind, reduced to smear because Labour has no policies. I reckon the amount of ordure that's going to be poured over Miliband and co is 10 x what the Sun poured over John Major.

That's my reading too.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Probably. Tories on backfoot, being defensive about tax avoidance. Even if no substance, even if Miliband were to have to personally apologise, more people will remember an insinuation of wrong doing, that fits with many peoples' perception of rich people and Tories anyway, than the backtracking I would guess.
    Also, nobody is talking about Labour's own donors with Swiss bank accounts...so job done by Ed, even if he can't back up what he said outside of HoC. It isn't like the BBC / Guardian are going to go big if he does just run away from repeating his claims.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

As I said ...a shit of the worst kind and totally unfit to be PM of our Country.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

isam said:

has traded on Lab Majority
    Actually £10,092 traded since 15.55 today.
    Actually.. you are wrong

There has only been £6957 traded on Labour majority since the market opened.. and in reality its actually half that because each pound traded is doubled in the figures

"Betting on: Lab Majority
    Total matched on this event: £45,438
    Betting summary - Volume: £6,957
    Last price matched: 16.00 "

Why did you edit my quote? I said no money had traded at bigger than 20... and it hasn't

• Options
    edited February 2015

Scott_P said:

Nope....they have some story about a chauffeur. Always going for the big stories these days on the front of the Mirror. It is probably like 90% of their stories total BS.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    Cyclefree said:

Good to see PB is full of rattled Tories tonight. Personally, I think the more light that is shone on the murky tax affairs of the rich and powerful of these Islands the better. This country is rotten - I rarely wish we were more like the States - but in the case of tax rules I do.

Frankly it's wrong that smug plutocrats like Fink can make 3 million quid donations - one can only assume for the purchase of power and influence. Wrong, wrong, wrong again and still wrong.

1. If you are a foreign citizen who has never lived in the UK (Stefano Pessina) you are avoiding UK tax. I imagine the Italian authorities must be furious that all those British people living in the UK are also avoiding Italian taxes.

2. If you go and work in another country and have a bank account there you are avoiding UK tax. Presumably all those foreigners coming here to work are also avoiding tax in their home countries.

3. If you are rich you must not donate to a political party. No doubt they will be repaying tomorrow all those loans they have received from rich people.

Labour are coming across as nasty and ignorant. Their rage against the Tories on tax - while it may be politically effective - seems much like Caliban, raging against the nastiness in their own party, given the way they sucked up to the rich when in power, their failure to take any steps at all to close loopholes and pursue tax evaders and their decision to hit the very poorest in society with the 100% increase in the tax rate paid by the lowest paid.

Being nasty and ignorant is not necessarily unhelpful to Labour. Lashing out at scapegoats can be a successful strategy.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

If the Mirror does that they had better get some bloody good lawyers and be prepared to pay out. There's a libel claim right there.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

Incidentally the Telegraph's decision to axe Telegraph blogs has proved to be spectacularly misjudged. It was fast becoming THE place to go to, for reasonably articulate rightwing opinion - yet they canned it, sacked all the journos, then realised they had lost trillions of visitors, and now the axemen have mostly themselves been axed, as a result.

One of the stupidest moves in the history of Fleet Street. Singularly dumb. Tsk.

Agreed. I count myself as socially lefty, economically a bit more to the right, but for whatever reason I would read blog after blog on the Telegraph every day, where I presume my opinions would subtly or not so subtly (depending on the intent and merits of the piece) be influenced in a rightward leaning direction, and that also meant I got a lot of other news and opinion from there. I've not gotten in to the habit of other newspaper websites yet to the same degree, so it's back to relying mostly on BBC.co.uk, which I doubt is where the right wants me to get most of my info (though I believe the web news is considered less overtly lefty than the broadcast BBC stuff?)
  • Options

I would kind of like to see him win in May and then watch him have sh*t poured over his head for the following five years. Be humiliated by Alex and Nicola day in an day out etc...

But the country would go down the tubes at the same time. :(

• Options
    Some of the green-envy crew below seem to forget that a key reason TB won, and won brilliantly, is 'cos he cozied up to business. Labour didn't have that platform and it took John Smith then Blair to build it. Miliband's doing something that no winner has done since, well, back in the 70's I suppose when we were the sick man of Europe and hamstrung by unions.

It smacks to me of desperation.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Cyclefree said:

Labour are coming across as nasty and ignorant.

It's the ignorance that gets me, many Labour supporters surely understand that it's quite normal now for people to work and/or live overseas and have entirely legitimate reasons for arranging their financial affairs to be convenient for them. The idea that anybody who pays tax or has bank accounts in other countries is inherently a crook is plainly stupid. And the message it sends about the likely next UK government is quite worrying. Labour - "we don't understand the modern world".
  • Options

Some of the green-envy crew below seem to forget that a key reason TB won, and won brilliantly, is 'cos he cozied up to business. Labour didn't have that platform and it took John Smith then Blair to build it. Miliband's doing something that no winner has done since, well, back in the 70's I suppose when we were the sick man of Europe and hamstrung by unions.

My recollection is that the Tory Party was weak and divided at the time.

Must have been a factor, no?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I am not a Tory.

As much as the PB Tories are ridiculed, not without cause at times, one thing I have learned is that if someone, even a non-Tory voter, happens to have a view which might coincide with them there is a goodly chance they will be seen to have, remarkably, contracted with the same PB Tory affliction and so be discounted,
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    glw said:

Cyclefree said:

Labour are coming across as nasty and ignorant.

It's the ignorance that gets me, many Labour supporters surely understand that it's quite normal now for people to work and/or live overseas and have entirely legitimate reasons for arranging their financial affairs to be convenient for them. The idea that anybody who pays tax or has bank accounts in other countries is inherently a crook is plainly stupid. And the message it sends about the likely next UK government is quite worrying. Labour - "we don't understand the modern world".
    From the telegraph

" A Labour spokesman said: "There are serious allegations in The Guardian about Lord Fink including his complex arrangements to minimise tax.

"He still has not justified the reasons why he made these arrangements. He should do so. "

Does this count as repeating the allegations outside of Parliamentary privilege?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Out of the last 20 polls Cameron the non-dogy tax loving political supremo has been ahead in three. Whilst that utter disgrace and all round crap Ed Miliband has been ahead in 13 of them. Labour ahead by 1%

January is the crossover month and February will be the pulling away month. Beware the Valentines Day Polling masacre for Labour.

BASILISCIOUS!!!!
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 32%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921

Has Miliband repeated his Fink accusation outside the safe confines of Parliament yet?

I don't think he will dare. I wonder if this is a big mistake by EdM.
    Miliband accused Fink of involvement in tax avoidance, not of personally evading taxes. Though I can see why Fink is angry, I suspect CCHQ could do without headlines dominated by Tory tax cheats.
    It was pretty obvious what Miliband was trying to smear Fink with, and it wasn't avoidance.
    It's also pretty obvious what was actually said, courtesy of Hansard:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/commons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/90/#c90
    Well I don't know anything about the rights or wrongs of the case, DJ, but on reading what appears in Hansard I should say they are perfectly reasonable questions to be put by a LOTO to the PM.

What's the problem?
    Agree entirely, I can only assume that the faux hysterics coming from the Tory PBers tonight is because they are acutely aware that their image as the party that cares more about hedge fund managers, tax avoiders and the super wealthy than it does for the average person is a major obstacle to their ever winning an overall majority.
  • Options
    Sun Politics @Sun_Politics · 26s 26 seconds ago
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 32%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Being nasty and ignorant is not necessarily unhelpful to Labour. Lashing out at scapegoats can be a successful strategy.
    Agreed - which is no doubt why they are doing it. It does not make for good government, though.

How do you think this sort of behaviour will go down with some industry chief in a foreign country wondering whether or not to invest in Britain under a Labour government? Invest in Britain and risk the British Prime Minister accusing you of being a crook. Yes - that should go down well.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    Usually I would say the Tories and Labour ripping the ***t out of each other like this would be bad for UKIP as it puts them firmly off the news agenda, but the content of the argument is very 'old politics'. If it were about the NHS or economic policy there would be no real angle UKIP could take on it. As it is I think it enhances their NOTA position.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Also, nobody is talking about Labour's own donors with Swiss bank accounts....
    For the moment, anyway.......

• Options

Has the Labour Party condemned the actions of MGN yet? They sure as hell went off about the NotW, so what's the difference?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 32%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%

Con -1, Lab -2, LD +1, UKIP +2, Grn -1
  • Options
    Some rumours swirling about tomorrow's Ipsos Mori. Think it's interesting. Then some sobriety crept in with YouGov being as you were.
  • Options

Times are different now. It may well be done due to desperation, it is certainly the case Labour are not running away with this like they probably should be given Tory weaknesses which are far more deep and longlasting, but that doesn't mean it might not work now. Labour only need a slight edge on where they are now, a desperate last push could do it.
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by one: CON 32%, LAB 33%, LD 7%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%

Ugh, boring boring boring. I need some good Tory leads to keep this thing interesting.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Milliband appears to become less Primeministerial with time.
    I'm not sure that is his intention.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Toms said:

AndyJS said:

I think it's that American with a face like a hatchet they've got in that's done it isn't it? Certainly wouldn't want to run into him in a dark ally -creepy doesn't cover it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

1. If he has no horse to run then Pessina should butt out of pontificating publicly on UK politics
    2. Non Dom is no more than a mechanism for enabling tax avoidance. They don't have this BS in the US.
    3. Labour have never been recipients of individual donations on the scale of the Tories.

I'm angry Cyclefree. I've never in my 49 years seen a regime that is as nepotistic, as sucky up to big corporate money, and as interested in furthering it's own agenda at the expense of supporting services that make a difference to ordinary people as this one. Public agencies have being neutered and cowed, corporate buddies are being given free rein. I'm no fan of Labour either but by God I like the Tories a damn sight less.
  • Options

Some rumours swirling about tomorrow's Ipsos Mori. Think it's interesting.

Care to share? Just between friends. Nobody's watching. :D
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Con -1, Lab -2, LD +1, UKIP +2, Grn -1
    Good poll for NOM. :-)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,897
    Cyclefree

"1. If you are a foreign citizen who has never lived in the UK (Stefano Pessina) you are avoiding UK tax. I imagine the Italian authorities must be furious that all those British people living in the UK are also avoiding Italian taxes."

I think you are confusing your stories. He's the hedge fund owner of Boots who decided to lecture Ed on what his tax policy should be. Ed quite rightly in my opinion said if you want to pay UK tax fine otherwise f*ck of and discuss Swiss tax.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Also, nobody is talking about Labour's own donors with Swiss bank accounts....
    For the moment, anyway.......

And who is going to talk about them? It is like phone hacking. Murdoch / NI was the target, the fact that every other newspaper except the Indy were at it at some stage, irrelevant. The fact the Mirror are now said to have been at it worst than NOTW, no mention on the BBC or Guardian, not a jot....just minor articles hidden away saying Mirror paid out.

This is how this will play out. We will get days and days, if not weeks and weeks of people analysing the likes of Fink's financial affairs, who said what when, with barely a mention of the £2 million outstanding loan to Labour from a guy on the list plus the other names.

Another good example, Ashcroft, painted as the most evil non-dom tax dodging donor going, years of research trying to get him in some way, when Labour had plenty of their own, no interest.
  • Options
    Why was everyone going on about non existent bets on Betfair tonight? Is it catching??
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Times are different now. It may well be done due to desperation, it is certainly the case Labour are not running away with this like they probably should be given Tory weaknesses which are far more deep and longlasting, but that doesn't mean it might not work now. Labour only need a slight edge on where they are now, a desperate last push could do it.
    Scott_P said:

Ugh, boring boring boring. I need some good Tory leads to keep this thing interesting.
    Even I like the odd one with a Tory lead now. The excitement it causes on here is fantastic.
  • Options
    I miss the halcyon days of Labour.

It is as almost some PB lefties have forgotten that it was only a few years ago a serving Labour Prime Minister was questioned by the police over his donors and their donations, sorry loans.

Still he was no David Lloyd George. Liberals eh, worst out of the lot of them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

"1. If you are a foreign citizen who has never lived in the UK (Stefano Pessina) you are avoiding UK tax. I imagine the Italian authorities must be furious that all those British people living in the UK are also avoiding Italian taxes."

I think you are confusing your stories. He's the hedge fund owner of Boots who decided to lecture Ed on what his tax policy should be. Ed quite rightly in my opinion said if you want to pay UK tax fine otherwise f*ck of and discuss Swiss tax.

You never answered whether you've got any of your millions stashed away on the Cote D'Azur? ;)

• Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    edited February 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Ah sorry I'm not an insider. Just watching twitter rumours and putting that together with movements earlier. Sometimes a bit of detective work can show what's happened. Ipsos-Mori is bad for Labour so their price went out sharply, then countered when news of YouGov status quo filtered. As I say that's just based on watching the market & twitter not anything I can pin down on or claim :-)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Ah sorry I'm not an insider. Just watching twitter rumours and putting that together with movements earlier. Sometimes a bit of detective work can show what's happened. Ipsos-Mori is bad for Labour so their price went out sharply, then countered when news of YouGov status quo filtered. As I say that's just based on watching the market & twitter not anything I can pin down on or claim :-)
    Ah, I see. :D

• Options
    edited February 2015

Cyclefree said:

I've never in my 49 years seen a regime that is as nepotistic, as sucky up to big corporate money, and as interested in furthering it's own agenda at the expense of supporting services that make a difference to ordinary people as this one.
    Really? I've not that level of experience by any means, but this government just seems kinda crappy to me, without the talent let alone will to achieve such awfulness intentionally or otherwise. Mediocrity seems about all they could muster up, without the ambition necessary to succeed or fail hugely.

Fortunately for Labour my vote will neither matter in May (as I live in a safe seat), nor do they need to win in the sort of seat I live in, but even if you are totally correct about how bad this government is, if they tried pushing that line on me I'd switch off as I just cannot see them as such bogeymen. I think Labour will win anyway, but I certainly hope you are wrong if somehow Cameron gets back in!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ed complains about the tax regimes in lots of other countries, should they tell him to STFU?

Whether or not you like Pessina, he controls a very large UK employer, he has the right to say how he thinks a future Labour government will affect his businesses in the UK. And Labour would do well to listen for once.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2015
    GIN1138 said:

Tomorrow's Ipsos-Mori is a corker! That's all I can say (because that is all that I know)
  • Options
    isam said:

Why was everyone going on about non existent bets on Betfair tonight? Is it catching??

You're wrong but I get the impression watching your posts today that you're not someone who likes to be told that, so I'll exit stage right.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

EICIPM
  • Options
    glw said:

Roger said:

Ed complains about the tax regimes in lots of other countries, should they tell him to STFU?

Whether or not you like Pessina, he controls a very large UK employer, he has the right to say how he thinks a future Labour government will affect his businesses in the UK. And Labour would do well to listen for once.

They might well do so. After the election is won.
  • Options

I'm angry Cyclefree. I've never in my 49 years seen a regime that is as nepotistic, as sucky up to big corporate money, and as interested in furthering it's own agenda at the expense of supporting services that make a difference to ordinary people as this one. Public agencies have being neutered and cowed, corporate buddies are being given free rein. I'm no fan of Labour either but by God I like the Tories a damn sight less.

Regarding your last paragraph, I'm right with you waving a placard on the first bit, but you totally lose me with your public agencies bit. Neutered and cowed? The teaching unions that decided they didn't like the Education Secretary so got rid of him? The bloated Saint NHS and its insatiable appetite for public funds in return for starving the elderly to death?

The antidote to mega corporations isn't mega state institutions and mega regulations. They are actually very comfortable bedfellows. The antidote is small businesses. Less regulation. People and families with control over their lives. That's what we should be arguing for.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Tomorrow's Ipsos-Mori is a corker! That's all I can say (because that is all that I know)
    What time is it uncorked?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

EICIPM
    Polling talk is off tonight.....it's all despicable ED.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 - that is what's circulating on twitter.

Night.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

I think it's possible Green's could be in thrd place with Lib-Dems 5th, but would that really be a "corker"?

Labour has been on 29% in two out of the last three MORI polls...
  • Options
    Today has been one of the finest examples of deranged PB Tory groupthink seen for some time, among a list of candidates a mile long. We are asked to believe that the Tories' links to grand tax dodging should not be questioned. Meanwhile, a pink bus was breathlessly deemed such a disaster for Labour that I fear for Scott_P's sexual health.

Great entertainment though, only right here on PB.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Out of the last 20 polls Cameron the non-dogy tax loving political supremo has been ahead in three. Whilst that utter disgrace and all round crap Ed Miliband has been ahead in 13 of them. Labour ahead by 1%

January is the crossover month and February will be the pulling away month. Beware the Valentines Day Polling masacre for Labour.

BASILISCIOUS!!!!

The Tories will pull away from Labour....in June.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

@isam says there was sod all money traded on Betfair at the long prices you cite and, despite his not being a fan of mine, to say the very least, I have no reason to doubt him (I haven't checked).
  • Options

I fear for Scott_P

Hurrah! Another creepy stalker!

tim was much better...
  • Options
    Seen Jupiter Ascending in IMAX 3D today really is the way to see it.

Fantastic special effects
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

I got on Lab maj at 29 ave , It's now 21s. Hysterical ramping by PB Tories on PB pays out.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

1. If he has no horse to run then Pessina should butt out of pontificating publicly on UK politics
    2. Non Dom is no more than a mechanism for enabling tax avoidance. They don't have this BS in the US.
    3. Labour have never been recipients of individual donations on the scale of the Tories.

On no. 1 I tend to agree that making a generalised statement like that when you don't vote may be unwise. Though since Pessina has a company here which employs a large number of employees, he is entitled to comment on how a party's proposals might affect that company and those who work there.

No 2 has nothing to do with non-doms. It's about people who go abroad to work there and while there pay tax in that country and have bank accounts there. Lots of people do this.

But since you raised non-doms doubtless you are aware that the amount that has to be paid by those registering as non-doms has been increased by this government.

On no. 3 given the well know difficulties Labour had over cash for peerages, Bernie Ecclestone and the rest they are hardly in a position to throw stones. The only Prime Minister to be questioned under caution by the police is a Labour Prime Minister. I find that shameful and am surprised that Labour supporters on here don't feel the same or somehow think that with that background they have the moral high ground over the Tories.

Re your more general point, it was Labour who sucked up to corporates such as RBS and entered into a Faustian pact with big money. It was Labour who increased the tax on the poorest by 100%. Just ponder that for a moment. And Labour MPs cheered that when it was announced in the House because they were too stupid to understand what they had done. Or if they did understand they didn't care because they thought it stuffed the Tories. I was - and remain - pretty angry about that.

By contrast, the tax paid by those very same poorest has been reduced under this government.

And, frankly, I have no confidence that Labour would not reverse those changes were they to be in government.

Labour supporters do have a tendency to be remarkably blind about the motes in their own party's eyes. Labour's self-righteousness comes across as sickening, frankly.

• Options

GIN1138 said:

A-ha. I understand. Looks a bit "Ave It", eh?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

isam said:

You're wrong but I get the impression watching your posts today that you're not someone who likes to be told that, so I'll exit stage right.
    I am not wrong, no money traded at 20 or above on betfair on labour majority, despite everyone posting about it

No money has ever traded at those prices

So how am I wrong??

I get the impression you don't know what you're talking about
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I fear for Scott_P

tim was much better...
    The irony. You spam the site with other people's drivel 24/7 and you accuse others of stalking you!!
  • Options
    I am slightly surprised by Tory tactics. If they think attacking Miliband on the right of people to avoid tax on the grounds that "it is legal" is equal in political judgement in saying it would be good to privatise the NHS because it would increase "efficiency".

Also, getting a non dom tax avoider living in Monaco to head criticism of Labour's tax policy was indeed strange. Ed probably couldn't believe his luck. Quite rightly, he told him to f**k off !
  • Options
    FPT - PeterfromPutney

Btw Casino - have you noticed how a Lab/SNP deal is becoming increasingly talked about .... perhaps not as "foolhardy" a bet as you suggested .... now a 6/1 shot, compared with my 25/1 bet.

Good trading bet for you. But it'll never happen.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited February 2015
    Ha! Best comment under the review of 50 Shades over at DoG:

Some things in life you just don't need to do, and can pride yourself on being a better class of human scumbag because you said 'no, thanks'. Those things include mixing/injecting crack and heroin snowballs in a central London phonebox, not cheating on your girlfriend with her friend while she's gone to the shops, stopping at pint number 4 every time and not going to see this film, even under pretense of 'xyz is making me go and see it'. I may not have managed the other three but god dammit, 25% win is better than 0% - I'm seeing this one through to the end.
  • Options
    @SkyNews: TIMES FRONT PAGE: "Tories plan housing 'giveaway' for workers" #skypapers http://t.co/4zr0DVXxsc
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    If you ever wanted proof that the BBC is the broadcasting arm of The Guardian & the Labour Party, you just have to view their websites lead story now on Milibands pathetic "dodgy" claim.
    Utterly disgraceful coverage.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The only Prime Minister to be questioned under caution by the police is a Labour Prime Minister. I find that shameful and am surprised that Labour supporters on here don't feel the same or somehow think that with that background they have the moral high ground over the Tories.

Labour supporters have had all memories from 1997 to 2007 wiped, and a fair number of them have wiped 2007 to 2010 as well.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Episode 4 of Wolf Hall (BBC) was magnificent tonight.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

surprised that Labour supporters on here don't feel the same or somehow think that with that background they have the moral high ground over the Tories.
    But...but Labour are just..better, even when the same issues apply! (In this case I do not know enough to make a judgement is worse).

Why, next you will be saying that cuts from a Labour government, on to those affected, will feel the same as Tory cuts!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I fear for Scott_P

tim was much better...
    The irony. You spam the site with other people's drivel 24/7 and you accuse others of stalking you!!
    Has Scott talked of a Tory surge in Scotland yet ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

I'm not confusing anything. See my post below.

You are the one who's confused. Pessina does not live in Switzerland.

Still if only those who pay UK tax are allowed to comment on British politics then there are going to be a lot of people living in the UK who won't be allowed to comment either, quite a few of them Labour supporters.

Is Labour's policy now "No representation without taxation."

• Options

GIN1138 said:

A-ha. I understand. Looks a bit "Ave It", eh?
    Is what the Ipsos-Mori chap tweeted. That it was corker and out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Isn't corker just another word for outlier, in the world of polling?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I am not wrong, no money traded at 20 or above on betfair on labour majority, despite everyone posting about it

No money has ever traded at those prices

So how am I wrong??

I get the impression you don't know what you're talking about
    I backed Lab maj at 8.43pm and 55 seconds.
  • Options

Regarding your last paragraph, I'm right with you waving a placard on the first bit, but you totally lose me with your public agencies bit. Neutered and cowed? The teaching unions that decided they didn't like the Education Secretary so got rid of him? The bloated Saint NHS and its insatiable appetite for public funds in return for starving the elderly to death?

The antidote to mega corporations isn't mega state institutions and mega regulations. They are actually very comfortable bedfellows. The antidote is small businesses. Less regulation. People and families with control over their lives. That's what we should be arguing for.
    My views are possibly somewhat coloured by being an environmentalist. The environment being one area where it could be argued regulation is vital.
  • Options

Seen Jupiter Ascending in IMAX 3D today really is the way to see it.

Fantastic special effects

Plan to watch it tomorrow.
  • Options
    The big question tonight is that as the Whisleblower has stated categorically on Sky News that he e mailed and telephoned HMRC in 2008 who knew and what action was taken by HMRC then
This discussion has been closed.