Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight from Marf

SystemSystem Posts: 11,827
edited February 2015 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight from Marf

Politicalbetting's Marf pic.twitter.com/77jftpUwgh

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    Inside the pink bus...
  • Options
    Chap from Ipsos-Mori tweets

nothing directly relevant (though shameless plug: our Political Monitor is out tomorrow and it's a corker)
  • Options
    Just backed Labour Majority @ 24.0 on betfair, longest ever. Bad poll tonight?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    @jerryhayes1: So Chuka won't repeat the privileged protected comment of Ed about Fink on LBC. There is a message here and it is pretty obvious.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,948
    edited February 2015

I wonder if it is linked to the Ipsos-Mori.

If it was YouGov then normally Tom Newton-Dunn gives us a tantalising tweet by now
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Just traded at 32.0

• Options
    It's still dark when I get up in the mornings, and so often my curtains don't get opened at all.

Luckily my bicycle is squeaky enough that none of the neighbours will mistake me for one of Osborne's shirkers having an all-day lie-in...
  • Options
    lab maj 29 on betfair !
  • Options
    This IPSOS-Mori is the one that L&N usually base their final forecast on.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Coalition finds itself "not guilty" (shock result there)

"A separate coalition motion was approved pointing out that "while the release of information pertaining to malpractice between 2005 to 2007 by individual HSBC account holders was public knowledge, at no point were ministers made aware of individual cases due to taxpayer confidentiality or made aware of leaked information suggesting wrongdoing by HSBC itself" and notes "that this Government has specifically taken action to get back money lost in Swiss bank accounts".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RodCrosby said:

Just traded at 32.0

How can this be happening?

Pinkbus is a triumph! Ed defaming Swiss residents is a triumphant rallying cry for the left.

Apparently...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    TGOHF said:

lab maj 29 on betfair !

2 mins after Rod reported it traded 32... gotta love H
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    Ipsos MORI is in the same ballpark as Lord Ashcroft, so I suspect that's a fair Conservative lead. If so, that would mean the Conservatives led with three out of four telephone pollsters.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Ipsos MORI is in the same ballpark as Lord Ashcroft, so I suspect that's a fair Conservative lead. If so, that would mean the Conservatives led with three out of four telephone pollsters.

Maybe the polling lead finally falling into line with the PM approval forecast?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Could be a big Labour lead.

Could be a major change in the leader ratings.

But more likely it is the Greens in third place, which fits the definition of corker.
  • Options
    This might be based on tonight's YouGovnot MORI. There'll be a wide knowledge of that about
  • Options
    Continuity coalition now favourite next govt on Betfair.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,309

This might be based on tonight's YouGovnot MORI. There'll be a wide knowledge of that about

"Might" :D ?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    TGOHF said:

@jerryhayes1: So Chuka won't repeat the privileged protected comment of Ed about Fink on LBC. There is a message here and it is pretty obvious.

As Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Chuka has to build relationships with the people Ed Miliband is insulting.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

As Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Chuka has to build relationships with the people Ed Miliband is insulting.

As Shadow Secretary of State for Business, one of the chosen ones to replace Ed when he loses, Chuka has to build relationships with the people Ed Miliband is insulting.

Fixed it for you
  • Options
    This is sooo exciting.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

But more likely it is the Greens in third place, which fits the definition of corker.
    Greens in third place would be more like "meh". The Greens have had their fun, but they're not going above 7% or so, on average. A big Labour lead would be a corker, but that doesn't seem to be how things Ar moving.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    TGOHF said:

Continuity coalition now favourite next govt on Betfair.

Paint drying in newly decorated house

What was previous favourite?
  • Options
    Do Ipsos/MORI do Scottish polling? It could be a massive lead for the SNP which would explain why Labour have moved out to 30.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Why would a big Labour lead send the price out?
  • Options
    Labour majority back in to 21/25 now
  • Options
    The one thing it can't be is a big Labour lead...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Do Ipsos/MORI do Scottish polling? It could be a massive lead for the SNP which would explain why Labour have moved out to 30.

They do, but their next Scottish poll won't be out for a few weeks.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Scottish sub-sample only about 130 people.

• Options
    Lab majority blipped out, con majority hasn't come in

Lib Dems in 3rd ?!
  • Options
    One thing is for sure, some journo is sitting on the embargoed poll tradingt betfair as we speak.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One thing is for sure, some journo is sitting on the embargoed poll tradingt betfair as we speak.

Lol, Patrick Wintour and Tom Clark said they and most journalists wouldn't have an effing clue on how to trade out on a poll they had.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,235
    Very likeable cartoon from Marf.
  • Options
    So if the YouGov doesn't have a mahoosive Tory lead.....
  • Options
    Could it me an interestingly supplementary?

Something like neck and neck on normal VI.

But when you mention the leaders' name, large Tory lead?

Is so much fun speculating.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited February 2015

Pulpstar said:

Lol, Patrick Wintour and Tom Clark said they and most journalists wouldn't have an effing clue on how to trade out on a poll they had.
    At 2115 on 2010 election day I was doing 5Live prog and was told the exit poll. There was sod all I could do.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

At 2115 on 2010 election day I was doing 5Live prog and was told the exit poll. There was sod all I could do.

Well if the same thing happens this year, you can send me a text.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Could it me an interestingly supplementary?

Something like neck and neck on normal VI.

But when you mention the leaders' name, large Tory lead?

Is so much fun speculating.

Calm down, you'll to have to get the missis to give you a rub down with a damp daily telegraph the way you're going on.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Darn, I was willing to take some action at 30/1.

That's basically betting on a big scandal to hit the Conservatives between now and election day.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Still, reminded me I got on NOM at a decent price.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306

They will lose their gold standard, surely? ;-)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

John Curtice told us what the election result was, before a single constituency had declared.

I thought the Lib Dems would get 80-90 seats, and couldn't believe they'd fallen back.

• Options
    RobD said:

They lost it last night with their clear outlier.
  • Options
    Hmm I have no idea bout the poll but Labour most seats, Labour most votes was at 4.3 on Betfair and that price looked very very wrong so I took all £2 of it.

This is how I bet...
  • Options
    RobD said:

If a pollster never produces outliers then you should assume something's wrong.

• Options

RobD said:

Yes, it would suggest there was some massaging going on (though I'm not suggesting this is actually happening!)
  • Options

RobD said:

I really don't like the way Populus and Opinium have suddenly decided they have the UKIP fogure too low/high respectively. Herding effects etc...
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    How is it clear that last night's YouGov was an outlier? That may equally be true of the 1% Tory lead it came up with a day earlier.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

How is it clear that last night's YouGov was an outlier? That may equally be true of the 1% Tory lead it came up with a day earlier.

You need to check your sarcasm meter.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Very likeable cartoon from Marf.

Yes. There's something efficient and, je n'est c'est quoi, minimalist about it.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Any poll with a Labour lead is an outlier. The PB Tory Golden Rule, and one I ascribe to! ;)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,171
    Dark forces afoot.............
  • Options
    Alistair said:

That's basically betting on a big scandal to hit the Conservatives between now and election day.

That cannot be safely ruled out, Alistair.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Neither can a Labour one. After today, someone will be digging.
  • Options

Could be Kippers down on single figures...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    Is something happening?
  • Options
    edited February 2015

justin124 said:

Last month you said UKIP on 18% was an outlier when there were 4 or 5 18%s in a week.. when I mentioned it you told me I didn't know how to look at statistics, which is a bit worrying as it is my job
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,171
    TGOHF said:

Would that really be so exciting. No offence but I'd be expecting something significant in the Labour/Tory shares.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If UKIP in single figures I'd expect CON boost

• Options
    isam said:

justin124 said:

Last month you said UKIP on 18% was an outlier when there 4 or 5 18%s in a week.. when I mentioned it you told me I didn't know how to look at statistics, which is a bit worrying as it is my job
    My comment applied to YouGov.

Tell me how many times they've hit 18 since then with YouGov?
  • Options
    "Labour’s parliamentary candidate for Bedford Patrick Hall to keep severance pay cash if re-elected":

http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/Labour-8217-s-parliamentary-candidate-Bedford/story-25987102-detail/story.htm
  • Options

Alistair said:

Neither can a Labour one. After today, someone will be digging.
    Alistair is a fellow punter and will appreciate why I made the remark.
  • Options
    Lucky, Lucky Chelsea
  • Options

isam said:

justin124 said:

Last month you said UKIP on 18% was an outlier when there 4 or 5 18%s in a week.. when I mentioned it you told me I didn't know how to look at statistics, which is a bit worrying as it is my job

Wouldn't know, don't really follow it that closely
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    I am not surprised at Labour's tactics today. This is the party that sought to smear Cameron's wife and child and Osborne's wife.

To me that was despicable. Seems they haven't changed.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

They haven't hit 18% with YouGov after I said 18% with YouGov was an outlier.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Cyclefree said:

I am not surprised at Labour's tactics today. This is the party that sought to smear Cameron's wife and child and Osborne's wife.

"Labour is nothing if not a moral crusade........"

They really are hypocritical pond life.
  • Options
    The severance pay MPs get is a disgrace IMO. Nice to know Patrick Hall has already spent the £54,000 he received in 2010 on losing his seat in Bedford. Mike Hancock is on course to get it if he stands as an independent in Portsmouth South.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

isam said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

Oh so an outlier means the highest out of a weeks polls does it? I thought it was one that was a long way outside the range

EDIT: Actually I think you are wrong to say they haven't hit 18% since you called the 18% an outlier
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm not fearing a Labour government, but I was taken with this point from this morning:

They seem to regard the support of non-Tories as an entitlement

which is something I think is very true, and something which gets my back up about Labour more than happens with other parties. In their defence, as it is generally expected that the people who dislike the Tories do so more intensely, on average, than those who dislike Labour, it would be hard for the Tories to develop a sense of entitlement about non-Labour people being 'expected' to vote for them, because the narrative is that it happens less. I recall being really annoyed in 2010 with the assumption that as I had voted LD I must be part of the anti-Tory majority who must surely have felt betrayed by the Coalition.

Granted, about half of those voted LD then did feel so immediately, and another quarter or so of that original amount have since disappeared as well, so it is not as though there is >no basis for the entitlement, but I think it goes a little far.

For partisan Tories, someone voting other than Tory is just a mistake. For partisan Labourites, voting other than Labour, if you are not a Tory, is a betrayal of the left. At least, the extremists would say so.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

Oh so an outlier means the highest out of a weeks polls does it? I thought it was one that was a long way outside the range
    No. I explained at the time what I meant at the time. Look up average and standard deviation. It might help you.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The severance pay MPs get is a disgrace IMO. Nice to know Patrick Hall has already spent the £54,000 he received in 2010 on losing his seat in Bedford. Mike Hancock is on course to get it if he stands as an independent in Portsmouth South.

Pay an remuneration of MPs is a really tricky one. Too much and they are troughing, too little and it becomes the purview of the rich only.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

EDIT: Actually I think you are wrong to say they haven't hit 18% since you called the 18% an outlier
    Of course we only know what the actual outliers were when we have the election and plot an adjusted moving average looking back...
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Honestly I do hope there is a Tory lead of more than 1 pt - it's happened once or twice I think, but it's always entertaining when it does, and if it could be sustained makes the GE more interesting a fight as well, so there's not much downside to it. Frankly I'm getting bored with my own opinion that Labour are on course for a majority so long as they shore up Scotland a bit, which in fairness is not guaranteed.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Has Miliband repeated his Fink accusation outside the safe confines of Parliament yet?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm not fearing a Labour government, but I was taken with this point from this morning:

which is something I think is very true, and something which gets my back up about Labour more than happens with other parties. In their defence, as it is generally expected that the people who dislike the Tories do so more intensely, on average, than those who dislike Labour, it would be hard for the Tories to develop a sense of entitlement about non-Labour people being 'expected' to vote for them, because the narrative is that it happens less. I recall being really annoyed in 2010 with the assumption that as I had voted LD I must be part of the anti-Tory majority who must surely have felt betrayed by the Coalition.

Granted, about half of those voted LD then did feel so immediately, and another quarter or so of that original amount have since disappeared as well, so it is not as though there is >no basis for the entitlement, but I think it goes a little far.

For partisan Tories, someone voting other than Tory is just a mistake. For partisan Labourites, voting other than Labour, if you are not a Tory, is a betrayal of the left. At least, the extremists would say so.
    Far too many pb Tories regard voting Labour as a sign of corruption: since no-one sane would vote Labour, the party must be dependent on a client state of dole scroungers and public sector workers.
  • Options

Has Miliband repeated his Fink accusation outside the safe confines of Parliament yet?

I don't think he will dare. I wonder if this is a big mistake by EdM.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @DecrepitJohnL

'Far too many pb Tories regard voting Labour as a sign of corruption: since no-one sane would vote Labour, the party must be dependent on a client state of dole scroungers and public sector workers'.

You forgot Guardian readers & immigrants.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

kle4 said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

Far too many pb Tories regard voting Labour as a sign of corruption: since no-one sane would vote Labour, the party must be dependent on a client state of dole scroungers and public sector workers.
    Which is an unfair view in its own right, granted, although while thinking voting for your opponent is a sign of idiocy is unfortunate, I do place it a smidgeon below thinking people who vote differently to you are betraying your side (rather than betraying your country, which both sides may well believe) as though the vote belongs with them, in terms of offensiveness. But it's a subjective gradient of silly opinions I think, and the stages are close together.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Yeah my last respect for Miliband deserted today. I though it was puke-making tbh. Vile and it may come back to bite.
  • Options

Miliband accused Fink of involvement in tax avoidance, not of personally evading taxes. Though I can see why Fink is angry, I suspect CCHQ could do without headlines dominated by Tory tax cheats.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    AndyJS said:

But maybe it's worth remembering that Patrick was classed by the Telegraph during the Parliament expenses scandal as---I think the term was---an "angel". That is to say, they didn't find any fiddling by him.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Miliband accused Fink of involvement in tax avoidance, not of personally evading taxes. Though I can see why Fink is angry, I suspect CCHQ could do without headlines dominated by Tory tax cheats.
    It was pretty obvious what Miliband was trying to smear Fink with, and it wasn't avoidance.

You've just done the same, with use of the phrase 'tax cheats'.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

justin124 said:

No. I explained at the time what I meant at the time. Look up average and standard deviation. It might help you.
    Haha its ok I certainly don't need your help!

By the way you are wrong.. they have got 18% since you said it was an outlier.. almost makes me feel bad to say it

Don't make stuff up to win an argument this time please though, it was embarrassing to catch you out on the bet you never had
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Ohh no..... have I missed another Ed Disaster. Another electoral earthquake of Mansion Tax riot proportions?

PB Hodges saying Labour/Miliband are a disgrace.......Dan would be proud of every last one of you.

**** Opens another bag of popcorn *****
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Ohh no..... have I missed another Ed Disaster. Another electoral earthquake of Mansion Tax riot proportions?

PB Hodges saying Labour/Miliband are a disgrace.......Dan would be proud of every last one of you.

**** Opens another bag of popcorn *****

I'm looking forward to the Tube Strike.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600

Not yet, it will take the lawyers are fair bit of time to figure out how Miliband can repeat what he said in the HoC without repeating what he said in the HoC.
  • Options

It was pretty obvious what Miliband was trying to smear Fink with, and it wasn't avoidance.
    It's also pretty obvious what was actually said, courtesy of Hansard:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/commons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/90/#c90
  • Options

Talk is cheap for our earnest (but crap) wannabee pm
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sean_F said:

Maybe the polling lead finally falling into line with the PM approval forecast?
    Do you think this makes sense of Cameron's comment in the HoC? Seemed an amazingly confident assertion: "that's why you're losing"? Or was that maybe bluster 'cos Miliband got under his skin.

Who knows.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    glw said:

Not yet, it will take the lawyers are fair bit of time to figure out how Miliband can repeat what he said in the HoC without repeating what he said in the HoC.
    Great idea to run up a decent legal bill with an expensive GE to pay for in a few months. £500 an hour for a Senior Partner at a top flight defamation firm plus Counsel costs. Kerching.
  • Options

Possible - Ipsos MORI tends to show the highest Green polls of anyone - last month they had them only 3 points from 3rd place...
  • Options
    Are they ever going to release this poll? Some of us need an early night.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

After the catastrophe of Blair's Iraq war, I'm not sure any Labour politician should use the word "crusade".
    They do not deserve to use "moral" either
  • Options
    Has Tom Newton Dunn been ramping it on twitter yet ?
  • Options

It's also pretty obvious what was actually said, courtesy of Hansard:
    http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/commons/todays-commons-debates/read/unknown/90/#c90
    Insinuation.
  • Options
    Labour back in to 21. My guess is 2 polls. One shows neck-and-neck or even slight Lab lead. The other is going to be big news somehow. NB that's guesswork not insider trading.

Maybe poll No.2. is tomorrow morning's?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

If Milliband repeats it and Fink sues the story will go away until any court hearing or settlement, long after the election. So the smear remains.

If Milliband doesn't, Fink can do nothing and the smear remains.

Cameron could raise it in next week's PMQs - but this is a high risk strategy for him. He could position it as an attack on Milliband's judgment and lack of courage. Or he could raise the issue of Labour's smears against his wife and dead child and what Milliband did or did not know about that. But that must be a deeply personal and painful issue for him.

Smearing a rich person - however unfairly - is one thing. But smearing wives and dead children is beyond the pale, in my view. Labour crossed a line there and have never stepped back from it, to their discredit.

Certainly the Tories need to do something. There are plenty of stories around about Labour's supporters and Labour MPs. And there is, of course, the fact that the only PM to be interviewed by the police under caution was a Labour PM, one T Blair, currently helping Mr E Milliband, apparently.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,460
    Good to see PB is full of rattled Tories tonight. Personally, I think the more light that is shone on the murky tax affairs of the rich and powerful of these Islands the better. This country is rotten - I rarely wish we were more like the States - but in the case of tax rules I do.

Frankly it's wrong that smug plutocrats like Fink can make 3 million quid donations - one can only assume for the purchase of power and influence. Wrong, wrong, wrong again and still wrong.
This discussion has been closed.